Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marsha Donahues Garden, Open Day

Posted by dodgerdudette NapaCaz9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 21:48

This garden is in urban Berkeley. Very cool !

She had the bowling ball thing down, there must be a hundred of them there. This is along the entry walk .Sorry about the blurry thing, its very shady so a steady hand is required.

From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

This was more colorful than it looks in this photo.

Marsha's bottle tree was very lofty..way up high, 20 ft maybe ?

The studio deck..

Ever wondered what to do with that old flatware ?

She had some really unique containers..

And the pond !

She had some lovely chickens , and this was the roof of her coop .

This is a begonia-they grow like trees in frost-free Berkeley

And she had bees !

Hell Strip

Kathy in Napa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marsha Donahues Garden, Open Day

Oh thank you!!! So much to take in. The hand appeals to me. :) The coop roof, the pond!

Back in 1967 I lived in Berkely. I think first it was on Robles, with a gorgeous small garden behind. Then on Roosevelt Drive. (was it Drive or Avenue? Hmmm.) There was NOTHING like Marcia's place in any direction back then. Mind you, we spent our time at the Fillmore West and near Haight & Ashbury... I did like some of the art work though. There were extraordinary pieces at times.

Here is a link that might be useful: art back then

o

O, this is great, Kathy -- you got some unique photos -- and so interesting that she has time for bees and chickens along w/ her sculpting, etc. -- incredible.

I think a year ago I would have called her garden amazing color; but after the riot of color explosion at Keeylas, Marcia's bowling balls are almost restrained. Of course, we're aware of her garden "p*rn" humor too -- I love that pond!!!

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

-Cindy

o

How wonderful Kathy! Just love the originality in this garden. So many interesting things to look at here. I'll be coming back to peruse. I always LOVE seeing gardens of very creative people because it makes me see things a bit differently. Wish I could have been there with you! Many thanks for taking the time to photograph and share my friend!

Deanne

o

Kathy, I love seeing these gardens. I was taken with the flatware in the tire planter and the hand also. I also noticed the iron work? over the deck. The statue by the pond is fun.
Norma

o

Last time I saw the bowling balls, they were in a pyramid! -- from a photo in a book. That begonia looks a lot like my 'Paul Hernandez,' a luxurians hybrid. Was Marcia there to answer questions? Love the cut-metal screens. So glad you went on the tour, Kathy.

o

Thanks, Kathy. What a fun garden. Love the chicken coop, hell strip, and screen above the deck. Oh, and that lovely bather by the pond-funny!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here