Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Idyll #506 The DRY season!

It's hard to believe that all this heat and humidity has not produced even one thunderstorm! It was actually relatively 'cooler by the lake' here today but things are bone dry and no rain or cooler temperatures in sight :-(

gb - that abour is so gorgeous! It's my favorite part of your garden.

Comments (100)

• triple_creek
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love that picture Bug. A pocket camera is handy to have. Ivy sounds so cute.

Chelone the awnings are awesome! The whole Bahn looks great.

Another hot day here. I am only watering the newly planted stuff. It's hopeless for the rest, so I took the tractor out and mowed my trails. need to kick into gear on my walking. Rebel begged to go this morning and it felt good to get started again.
    The guy who puts up our hay came to say they would be doing it this weekend. They are way behind this year.

Thinking about the traveling Idylls. I'm sure they are having a good time.

Back to my book now. N

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Hola from Buffalo..lots of gardens today, but I need to sleep !Photos tommorow,

Kathy in Buffalo

• chelone
    12 years ago

Yes, I have little doubt there was lot of fun and laughter last night. It rained last night, a lovely soft, steady one which was was most needed. This morning it's absolutely glorious as on the morning after a rain can be.

I see Daddy and his dog in the back yard, Wrecks is rolling vigorously and receiving a good rub down from his "boy". High in the Salon I have an excellent aerial view of such things; small affectionate moments intended for no one else. Like that.

The little Canadian Magpie on the telephone made me smile. Jibber-jabber, combine the words to express thoughts... so very exciting to watch, though I'm certain you wish you were closer, 'bug! Camping will be a good time, too.

Norma, you must be referring to the second cut of hay, right? is the delay due to droughty growth or too much stormy weather and inability to get the cut and cure in between rain?

• saucydog
    12 years ago

I made it to Buffalo, and actually tip-toed over the border to see Niagara Falls. Woody, we didn't know until the last moment whether we'd even go, so I apologize for not being able to lay the plans out better. Niagara was really beautiful, and Sue even got me to go on the Maid of the Mist, which took us for a ride right under the falls.

I have been an absentee Idyller. I love my new job, but it takes up all my time, and I find myself just posting snippets on Facebook at the end of a long hot day. I have been bad about checking emails, too. The good news is I am learning new skills, walking miles a day, and no longer have any vitamin D problems ;)

Gotta run this morning - meeting up with everyone downstairs for breakfast and I'm already late. Mary will be here this morning, too.

{{gwi:171419}}

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Chelone our hay has timothy in it so they like to let the seed drop first, and they have a lot of other hay to do as well so are just running behind this year due to all the rain earlier this year. Our fields were abundant with wildflowers this year as a result. Lots of seed heads now.
    They feed it to cows anyway and they will eat anything.

We had rain today thank goodness. I hope enough of it soaked in to do some good instead of just running off.
    More of the same heat for the next week. I will be so glad to see this heat wave break.

Saucy nice picture of the falls. I enjoyed our trip there and the ride on the Maid of the Mist.
    You look good from all your walking and sweating.

• Marian_2
    12 years ago

Hi !!! I hope no one has a heart attack !Yep...it's the old pioneer woman from Arkansas !
    We are in the middle of the dog days here. Extremely hot and dry. The highest that our thermometers has recorded was 103F thursday.It was brief, but stayed around 100 for awhile. Today it got up to 99. Naturally things outside do not look all that great. I try to keep the most valued plants alive. The hydrangeas suffer the most. The deck plants are mostly surviving, but not thriving.
    I think you all know about Nolon's 4-way bypass the 2nd of May ? He is doing as well as can be expected, considering his age, his emphysema, and other problems. I am hopimg he will perk up some more when cooler weather gets here.

I also am pretty sure you know we are now a dog owner. A female black lab moved in on us while Nolon was in the hospital, in April. she was very thin, and , of course , I took pity on her and fed her. She filled out rapidly. I named her Rolex, because I was hoping she would be a watch dog. :-) She watches all right...but that is about all she does. But we have not seen one raccoon , opossum, or skunk, here since she came. The deer are as brave and plentiful as ever. So are the rabbits, and squirrels. I resorted to putting fencing around most of what I value. :-(
    I see, by way of Facebook, that the IU is in progress. How I would love to be where they all are.
    I wish I could comment on each one's posts as I can do on facebook. No scrolling back and forth there. I did read all you posted, but cannot remember much of it. Actually, I was surprised at how easy it was for me to get back on here.
    That is about all for me now.... Great to see all of you. Espacially great to see Susan, Chelone, and Marie. I see several others on Facebook.
    Marian

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Marian! Hot and dry here too - only 1/3" of rain in July :-( A Lab is always fun - but Labs are usually couch potatoes that gain weight easily too! I hope the cat has adjusted to her...?

• Marian_2
    12 years ago

Woody, she has no chance to be a couch potato. She will never be an indoor dog. But she does love to lay around. :-) The really wierd thing is...she hates having water sprayed on her. I thought they were water dogs. She will wade into the pond to get a drink, but has never swam in it. I was hoping she would. And she has never seen anyone she does not like, so doesn't even bark at anyone who comes into our yard. Trubby tolerates her now, but still is very wary of her.
    We ended up getting a good shower right after I postd. It was the good soaking kind....3/4th inch !

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Good evening friends ! I have some photos to share from friday; we saw some fabu gardens today but will have to post later.Cindy and I did some visits to gardens in the outskirts of Buff. while our fellow Idyllers visited the falls.

Buffalo Botanic Gardens {{gwi:171420}}From 2011-07-30
    {{gwi:171421}}From 2011-07-30
    {{gwi:171423}}From 2011-07-30
    {{gwi:171442}}From 2011-07-30

A private garden south of the city {{gwi:171443}}From 2011-07-30

This was on of out favorites, and we hope to take the rest of the gang to see it tomorrow. {{gwi:171444}}From 2011-07-30

IU8 continues !
    Kathy in Buffalo

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

I practiced with my new pocket camera today while you Idylls visited my birthplace. It's slow learning for this old lady!
    Hi Marian!
    {{gwi:171445}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

gb - ooh... what's that one? I thought you were born in France...?

I finally got around to downloading some pictures I took a few days ago. For Drema - Bressingham Blue hosta with Summer Wine (?) daylily:
    {{gwi:171446}}

A view of the shed from a different side... This is the north side of the shed, looking down the path to the compost heap behind the shed. Those pink hydrangeas are the 'new wood' blooming type. They were here when we bought the place in 1999 and have only bloomed once before! I was going to rip them out this spring until I saw they had live buds, so gave them a one-year reprieve :-)
    {{gwi:171447}}

It's beastly hot and humid here today - 10 minutes working with Randy to prune deadwood from the mockorange reduced me to sodden mush! I hope it's better for the Idylls in Buffalo!

• chelone
    12 years ago

Wish I could bottle up today's weather and send it to those in need of relief. It's beautiful, mid/high 70s, no humidity but you don't want to linger in the sunshine too long.

Woody, what is the variEgated tree on the right of the picture? looks like a dogwood... special variety? It's really pretty.

I started to carve up a large patch of Artemisia stelleriana this morning but lost interest as the sun became more intense. I'm adding hunks of it around the grey twig dogwoods where I hope it will spread and provide groundcover in a very sunny location. We still have some larger things to rearrange in that area (Fertile Crescent) so I'm trying to be thoughtful about what I undertake to divide and reestablish in new places. It's tricky to transplant big items when other plantings are involved.

The hedge has become rather an issue of late. It needs a haircut and we've been looking at it critically with an eye to a more severe cutting first thing next spring. I have been lobbying for the addition of stakes that will permit a level string to be strung when it's time to prune. This has not been well received by Mr. Greenjeans, who apparently feels his "territory" is being despoiled. ;) But if we are going to make some serious rejuvenating cuts and lose the luxury of height (privacy) next year I will not be willing to accept a topline that follows the level of the ground and dips and rolls when viewed from the distance of the house. I am on board with the rejuvenation project, but I also know what I want to see in the future and this is the time to add markers that will make a nice level cut easier when it's time to trim.

Also on deck is the replacement of the fence that we lost two yrs. ago and was the support for the climbing hydrangea. We have yet to come up with a satisfactory idea there, either. But like the debt ceiling we both know it has to be addressed. ;)

Well... guess I'll wander on out and see if anything jumps out at me. Later.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Beastly hot and humid here today too. DH was outdoors cutting back burdocks which are a bumper crop this year...

I have been doing touch-up paint work indoors where a new bathroom sink was installed and where the raccoons nest was removed from a back wall. Easy-peasy work, but the hardest part is gathering materials together and cleaning them (and my shoes!) afterwards. I'm pleased with the color match the store did for me! I still have one spot that needs another coat. That will be done after dinner. Then some hose dragging activity I guess.

Yesterday we bought two very inexpensive fans for our 2 basement rooms. Can't figure out how they can make, box, transport and shelve them for $12.99 each!

DS phoned yesterday from his work in Haiti where he was teaching kids at an orphanage in the north of the country. (Cap-Haitien I believe) This morning we got another call from him. (It is very difficult to understand him with weak connections) Today being Sunday, he was dealing with airport business and preparing for his trip to the East, near the Dominican border, tomorrow. (He managed to swim in the ocean today at 5am.) In the east he will be installing solar panels on a project for a school, hoping to supply enough power for 500 laptops. There is much that could go wrong and it will be a great challenge. He also will be meeting with a government official about plans and projects. Good thing he speaks French because the fellow does not speak English. He will not be able to communicate with us for the next week or so. He sounds healthy and happy.

Woody, I was born in Buffalo shortly after my parents arrived from Providence Rhode Island just in time for my Dad to begin teaching the Fall term at UB. My brother, the oldest of us three, was born in France...in 1939. My sister was born in New Jersey where my grandparents lived, while Dad was serving in the French army. He taught for a year at Brown University in Providence, moved to Buffalo for higher pay. ($3,000/year!)

I think I should start the watering now that some shade is appearing in places.
    Ciao,
    'bug

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the pink clematis is a seedling, so has no name. It was a gift from a friend.

Do you suppose Chelone is sipping something cool on her porch under the gray striped awning?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Chelone - that's Wolf Eyes dogwood. We just planted that this spring. It's a beautiful thing!

Still terribly hot and humid here - and shade doesn't make it feel any better! One thing I find particularly weird this summer is that we've not had any thunderstorms on these hot and humid days - normally days like these would have a thunderstorm in late afternoon or evening, but not this year :-(

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

We, too, are in desperate need of rain and have had hardly any storms this year. We had a brief storm this evening with lots of thunder and little rain. Very frustrating.

Kathy, those pictures are spectacular. I like the last two especially, maybe because they are private and give me hope...

Chelone, those awnings on the 'bahn' are marvelous. You and Woody have done so well in choosing colors for your outbuildings.

Marian, good to hear the adoptee is doing so well. I laughed out loud at your description of her as a watch dog. Love labs.

Cute picture, 'bug!

Julie, meant to say I love your list and bet the haircut actually looks very cute and perfect for summer!

Hi Norma! Hi Yeona! Hi Drema! Hi all IU8 revelers!

Off to bed to dream of rain.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Oh Cyn, the forecasters tell us to expect heat with no rain into September. Tough news as we have holidays in August and there is no one who can water for us as it is a full time job here. Yet, this is tonight's prediction:
    Tonight:
    Cloudy. Showers beginning late this evening. Risk of a thunderstorm late this evening and overnight. Low 18.

We'll see. They usually predict what we want rather than what we'll get.

Received DS's first lot of photos from his work in northern Haiti yesterday. See below for an update on progress teaching teachers and kids at an orphanage. He's truly in his element!
    {{gwi:171448}}

Today I'll be frantic trying to get papers notarized and mailed so that two friends from Haiti can visit next month. At the same time a workman will be at the house and need my attention and many other things going on as well.

I hope that the Idyllers manage to find time to report back to us soon. :)

Off to deal with the pets.
    'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: Working in Northern Haiti

Original Author
    12 years ago

We had a severe T-storm warning late yesterday afternoon - of course we go not a drop! If this heat and humidity with no rain continues until September, I'm likely to expire along with the garden! :-)

gb - your DS is increasingly looking like your DH! He definitely looks like someone who enjoys his work.

I, too, hope we get some more IU photos soon....

• jak1
    12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Everyone make it home O.K.?

The same old thing here - sunny, hot, dry ground and humid air. The forecast here for tomorrow is light rain all day. I'll beleive it when I see it - we have had a few t-storms but not many and not enough rain and too much wind.

To me, my front garden looks a little ratty and kind of miserable, although I still get a lot ofcompliments on it from passers-by. The backyard, though, is a disaster. The triangle shaped garden in the back corner looks drab, as most of the colour is over and the greenery is browning. The tomato plants are rusty with blight. The hollyhocks are ten feet high with about 2 blooms on top and the leaves are rusted off .The yellow beans are done and the pole beans are huge and overtaking everything. Two of the clematis are black with wilt, the rest are happy but the flowers are done. Many of the daylilies are done too. The grass is parched and crisp.I should spend a day in each of the front and the back, just cutting back, trimming,whatever. It really wouldn't take that much to neaten things up, but it is just too darn hot to be out there all day. I have kept up with watering, and my bill is double what it usually is, but it is not the deep kind of watering that nature can provide.

On the plus side, my house is looking pretty good on the inside. I have had lots of time to tidy cupboards, chuck out junk, sort through lots of things. Today's JulieJob was ceiling fans...... Come September when cooler temperatures arrive, I will be all set to get the outside in order. I have made a list of things I want to do and have warned family members that some strong backs may be needed for a day or two!

The Idyll photos that I have seen look great, just as I expected. You all look so refreshed and happy! Nine of you this year?

Chelone your awnings look fabulous. What a touch of elegance! We had a more standard type of retractable awning installed a few weeks ago and the difference it makes in the heat in the house is enormous! If I hadn't met you, I am not sure we would have thought of doing this - so Thanks!!

Nice to see Marian again. Spounds like things are o.k. with you now - it is nice to have a dog again, yes?

Woody and Marie, you guys have gardens galore! I have really loved the various shots of the plants anmd outdoor spaces. Thanks for being so faithful all summer! I agree, Woody, that Adam looks a lot like his father!

I am going to sign off for now. A trip to the library seems like just the ticket on a hot day!

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

The front fields of grain have been harvested. It is sad to see the beauty all rolled up in bales, but they too are beautiful in a different way.

"Paid for" weeding took place this morning. It is wonderful to get these things done, although it is by no means finished! I can't fathom how plants turn brown and yet weeds thrive...

It was a "Mario Day" as well, which means that upstairs windows were washed, the upper level of the garage cleaned out (think raccoon mess, dry wall pieces, metal bits, old screen doors and more.) Also a junk area of the barn is getting a similar treatment. A leak in a sink was repaired too. I LOVE this man!

I managed to get papers notarized for only $10 and DH got them sent off to Haiti. Amen! Also I got some banking done. Presently, I am watering bone dry areas of the garden. I notice that in the last 2 days my lettuce has bolted. :(

I do wonder about the storm...Like Julie, I'll believe it when I see it.

Phoebe got to play with a German Shepherd this morning. I also hear that little Will's Beacon is "growing like a weed and full of pep. It's just too bad she loves to bite everything that moves. She's received a couple of swats from our cat Brad and now leaves him alone. Too bad baby John doesn't have claws too because he's often a snack for Beacon. We're working on it, giving her lots of things she is allowed to chew on. She's getting better on the leash so that helps her burn off energy. And yes, it's what everyone has said, having a puppy is like having another child. Except no child of mine has ever bit my ankles as I walk by."

Back to work,
    'bug

• drema_dianne
    12 years ago

I just got back home a little bit ago, and wanted to stop in and say hi to all of you, and also say we missed those of you who couldn't come. It really is a treat to see friends, and gardens. So nice to catch up in person and visit with everyone. I'll stop back in tomorrow, with a longer post.

Drema

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Misty and 95% humidity.... No rain here.

Another busy day ahead.

I need to re-configure the hoses today to reach other locations. What a drag...literally too!

Chirp!

Original Author
    12 years ago

We got rain overnight!!! 12mm (~1/2") - A big sigh of relief from us and the garden! We can only hope that it's a sign that this dreadful weather is going to change to something more normal....

Here's a picture I meant to post yesterday. I love Veronicastrum - it makes pretty combinations with so many different things, so I have them in various places in the garden. This one is in the main front bed, across a grass path from the hydrangeas along the garage:
    {{gwi:37167}}

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Hola Idylls ! Back at the office today after finally arriving home at 7pm ish last evening after a full travel day. I will put uo a separate thread with photos tonight when I arrive home --I took over 700 ! We had a great time both Buffalo and Rochester --now to ponder the possibilites for IU9 !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

My goodness! Look who is the poster child for the Edmonton Folk Festival this week! That's Reed! And DSIL is wearing DH's old shirt from Togo...

{{gwi:171449}}

This years line-up includes k.d. lang and The Siss Boom Bang, Lyle Lovett and His Large Band, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Gipsy Kings featuring Nicolas Reyes and Tomino Baliardo, KT Tunstall and Deer Tick, just to name a few.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Glad you got rain Woody. Hope you did, 'bug. I think we are in a "no rain" zone. It briefly poured across the street and one house down yesterday, but we received nothing (well, maybe ten errant drops, but the stepping stones didn't show a single one). Then, this morning, I headed out to give the pups their morning walk and we turned back when we started to get rained on about .2 of a mile down the road. Silly me thinking it would pick up and drench us. Again, nothing here at the house. I am watering again. This will be the last day I do it. Everything will just have to make it on what it gets from nature. I know the water bill is going to bankrupt me-seriously. SO depressing.

Can't wait to see your pics, Kathy-all 700+! Now, for IU9, I am heading to France next summer...hoping the two don't overlap-selfish and greedy for a summer of fun next year! Of course, there are some great gardens we could all visit over there...

The Veronicastrum looks wonderful, Woody. That is something I've not tried yet. It is added to the list now.

'bug, those are great pictures of your son! The link is fascinating-lots of surprises, too:"Kennedy clothes" for one. You have raised such marvelous people-thanks for sharing them! Oh, and I wish we could share Mario-ha!

Julie, I share your pain about the backyard, except mine is a disaster thanks to the dogs. Oh well. I have plans to plant near our new rear fence (black chain link). I am so pleased that it really does disappear for the most part and will totally do so once I fill in near it. Of course, whether anything gets planted depends on on the aforementioned water bill. :(

Three weeks until school starts again. Trying mightily to figure out a way to retire, but that just doesn't seem to be an option yet. Things like the water bill keep getting in the way -teehee. Also, there is the pension worry. Our governor has taken $627 million dollars out of the Virginia Retirement account (that we are FORCED to pay into even though VA is a right-to-work state and we aren't allowed to be part of a real union) and he has structured it so the state doesn't have to start paying it back until 2013 when he is out of office. Of course, with that money he has stolen, he is now claiming the state has a surplus. I am betting he will be running for president in 2016. Whatever any of you do, don't believe or vote for him (Bob McDonnell). Rant over. Did get two offers from other schools, but too late to accept with a clear conscience-doesn't seem quite fair to leave my principal with only three weeks to find another special ed teacher. *sigh*

Have been enjoying posts on FB from those at IU8 and look forward to more here.

Blowing rain clouds your way,
    Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

This is from Chuck:

Something to share with your garden group:

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."
    --Bertrand Russell, British philosopher and mathematician

• Marian_2
    12 years ago

I am so happy for anyone who got rain. There was some in Arkansas but only a sprinkle here. But at least it stayed overcast most of the day. The sun came out late this afternoon, and the temp went up to 91F. That was 19 degrees lower than yesterday's high ! We got up to 110F , and it was 102 in our house ! But neither of us suffered, with fans going all over the house. It was still up in the 90s when we went to bed, and didn't get down to 84 until morning. But again...we were okay with our window fans going on us all night. I overslept, and Nolon came in and checked on me. That was a first ! I think he might have thought I didn't make it through the night. :-)
    Julie, this is the first dog that Nolon and I ever had in our 54 years of marriage. :-)
    The chance of rain is still in our forecast...so there is still hope. BTW, the 110 temp tied our high in 1986, for July the 30th. That was the highest we have seen here.

Marian

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Hello one and all, Well I'm back from IU8 and have been desperately trying to play catch up in the gardens after a week out of town. Lots of deadheading and watering to be done but I'm making headway.

Good grief Marian, 110?!!!! Dreadful!So sorry about that. HOpe you get some better weather soon. I think Jerri in OK has had more than a month of temps over 100 degrees. I'm so glad we've only had a couple weeks of high temps, though we did break a record with a temp of 105.8 a couple weekends ago.

I thought I'd pop over here and post a link to one of the galleries of pics from the Buffalo Garden Walk. What a surprise Buffalo was. Not at all what I was expecting.

Have a great evening one and all

Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Buffalo Garden Walk - Day 1

Original Author
    12 years ago

You're one tough cookie Marian - those temperatures and the absence of AC would do me in for sure!

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

I've been a busy woman lately. We had a 4 day camping trip with the whole family at the lakes. It was hot, buggy and humid. Probably the worst year we ever had. Our camper fortunately has AC.

A few days after our camping trip a tragic accident happened. My BIL and a business associate were in an accident that involved 2 young men on motorcycles. They were traveling at an estimated 70-80 mph. As my BIL rounded a curve he saw one in his lane. The cyclist swerved and hit the other cyclist causing him to wipe out. He then lost control, flew off the bike and hit my BIL's pickup. He was instantly killed. The other young man only had minor injuries. Even though he wasn't at all at fault, he feels horrible. The young man was 20 and had the same first name as my sister & BIL's oldest son.

The garden is so lush with the 7" of rain we had a few weeks ago and the lawn is just as green as can be. We spent the evening mowing. My trimmer won't start so the edges of the beds looks tacky. I may have to shop for a new one as this one has some age to it.

The oriental lilies are in full bloom and the air is sweetly scented. The potager is over flowing with vegetables of all colors. The Red Garden is looking nice with red zinnias, dahlias, cannas and salvia. There is also amaranth and castor bean that appear more maroon.

The fairies would have a difficult time getting through their garden these days. I guess I should trim things for them. In fact there is lots that should be done in the garden. We have had such hot and humid weather for quite some time that all I feel like doing is watering pots. Finally a couple of days ago the humidity lessened.

The new fence sports 2 clematis that are blooming. One is a large one that I've had a number of years and used to be by the front door and was much too big for that spot. The other I don't recognize and don't actually remember planting. I'll have to check my records.

I've been on the search for a Tri-color Beech for a few years and found one this week. I had some birthday money to spend. Now to decide where to plant it.

For some reason I'm just getting red x's on 'bug's thread. Maybe the pictures will show up later.

It appears like the IU was a good one in many ways. I wish I could have been there, but I was camping in the heat, humidity and bugs. Kenzie had a fabulous time though and my son was able to come up from Texas for it. I believe they have had 30 some days over 100 degrees.

Rick fell in the bean field today and hurt his shoulder. I think I've convenienced him to go to the Dr. tomorrow. It must really hurt for him to agree.

Marian, take care and stay hydrated.

That's all for me for the night.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Oh Michelle, how horrible for BIL and all the families involved. I'm terribly sorry.

I hope Rick's shoulder improves with help from the doctor. Farming is such a dangerous profession!

Keep checking the photo site. The university system should shape up again tomorrow sometime!

Maybe I can help with your clematis ID?

Deanne, superb photos! Thank you so much for those! I almost feel as though I attended.

Today we got DH to the eye doctor's for new computer glasses. I made an appointment for October. I tried my bifocals for a second time and felt ill for half the day! UGH! It was wonderful though to take piles of junk to the dump that Mario emptied from the garage and barn. I LOVE cleaning up! After dinner I weeded some more! I had a day's reprieve on watering too!

The big excitement was seeing a huge snapping turtle on our bridge this afternoon. I went to get my camera, and when I returned, the turtle was climbing the bridge railing and actually jumped into the creek before I could get a photo! I've never seen such a thing before!!! That's a big drop into shallow waters! He vanished and we never saw him again.

More sun tomorrow.
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Dreadful for your BIL Michelle. Wrong place , wrong time.

I must say, I never saw one single mosquito while in NY..You would have been bug-free at IU8 ! You will see an e-mail from me this weekend, I have some questions about a couple gardens in Iowa.

Glad the weekend is coming, still pooped from IU, but as always it was worth it !

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Hi all, We are enjoying a beautiful day here with partly cloudy skies and temps in the low 80's. Perfect summer weather!

Wow, Michelle, that's a lot of rain! I surely wish we'd get some significant rain here. Things are pretty dry and could use a good soaking. Our oriental lilies are just about done here, only a few Casa Blancas left. So sad when the lilies are done, it seems like the beginning of the end but the good news is that the fuchsias are all looking great right now and putting on a beautiful show. ~~ How scary for your BIL. That's just dreadful.

Bug, so that is the snapper that got away? LOL Wish you'd gotten a pic of it. I've never heard of a diving snapping turtle before.

Here is a link to my pics from day two of IU8.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buffalo Garden Walk - Day 2

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Michelle, how terrible for your BIL and that young man's family. That news makes the rest of your post all the more cherished. It is our day-to-day joys that see us through, isn't it? Hope Rick's shoulder is feeling less sore and that he didn't really injure it.

'bug, love the snapping turtle story and hope he swam safely away after that leap.

Deanne, I kept wanting to hit the 'like' icon as I scrolled through all those pictures! I think what I like best, other than all your smiling faces, is that each garden is different and yet they are all beautiful---rather like ours (well, can't say mine is beautiful, but it may be someday if I keep on trying).

Marian, thank goodness for fans, huh? I do hope you get a break in those temps. I think it is very cute that Nolan came to check on you! Bet the dog sleeps the days away near a fan, too. Hang in there. I hope the cool front we have here today in VA came across Ark. first. It is cool enough that I am heading out to do some weeding in a bit. As it seems to be for everyone, the weeds are the only plants that seem unaffected by the heat and drought. Is this to teach us humility and patience or is the universe just laughing at us? I wonder.

I am going to check the weather forecast hoping to see rain on the horizon and then out to pull those darned survivalists.

Waving to all,
    Cynthia

Original Author
    12 years ago

Why didn't you IU8 folks tell us that you made a guest appearance on the Garden Rant blog?!

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Good evening Idylls ! Looking forward to full recuperation this weekend as I went directly from IU8 back to the awfice . I toughed it out ! Another couple of weeks and I�m back out to the east coast again, this time mixing business and pleasure. My garden is a mess, a week away in high summer sure can wreak havoc quickly. There�s going to be heaving deadheading operations this weekend and pruning to neaten things up for the fall garden. I don�t think it is an exaggeration for me to say that almost every single garden we saw had some sort of water feature-even the teeny tinys in the cottage district. I feel really inspired to try something here on a very modest scale.

Deanne, you wouldn�t believe how many photos we took that are very similar views..yours are better of course, lol, but it made me feel like my �eye� must be improving . Still many things I missed !

Fear not Woody, I would have posted a link to our 5 minutes of fame on Garden Rant sooner or later !

Cynthia, Cindy was worried about what the condition of her garden would be when she got home with the heat you had during that time. We are having one of the mildest summers I can remember since I moved here in 1986. I�m ok with that ..but folks who are trying to grow peppers, tomatoes, melons etc are probably getting frustrated.

Alright folks, time to try to come up with some dinner in this grocery-less house.

Posting a link to the blog post I wrote about one of the neighborhoods we walked in Buffalo.

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog post

• chelone
    12 years ago

How I enjoyed the wonderful photographic tour of Buffalo! I particularly enjoyed the architecture and the fabulous color schemes chosen for such lovely homes. And the careful thought put into several of the plantings and annual displays. And skill and "eye" of the photographer to capture it all so nicely! It was the Victorian version of tract housing, lol. But haven't they aged gracefully? :) Evidence of Buffalo's prosperous history is revealed by such handsome homes.

I really liked the use of privacy curtains on the porches; and of course thought awnings would have been wonderful on several of the pictured homes. It reminded me that when those houses were originally built many of them probably did have awnings; another Victorian solution that was raised to "high art". ;)

Michelle, I am so sorry that your brother will have to pack that awful memory into his "life luggage". Things really can change for the worse in a split second or because of a high spirited, youthful decision. What a sad, sad thing. Things are on the dry side here, but rain is expected for tomorrow and that will be good. How large is a mature specimen of Tri-color Beech? I am still making mistakes siting things, but you don't want to get trees nicely estabished only to regret where you planted them (ask me how I know). ;)

Can't quite believe that back to school is a few weeks away. How many more years will you have to grunt it out "in the trenches", Cyn.? Here's hopin' this years class will be the most memorable ever. :)

Notes to self:
    1. feed oriental lilies, also lift and replant.
    2.) lift and divide bearded iris, along with the coneflowers, and phlox.
    3.) take some pictures!

We've had a few oppressive days but overall this summer has been a really nice one. I do think you get used to heat, though, don't you Marian? It's kind of the same way with long cold snaps. I don't know why it makes me smile that you have a dog now, Marian. But it does. :)

Gotta go.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Kathy, I love your blog! Your commentary on Heronswood is brilliant. Hey, if you are near DC when you come back East, maybe Cindy and I could add a little more pleasure and meet you somewhere, even if just for a quick lifting of glasses. I would love to figure out some sort of water feature for our yard, too! Wouldn't it be fun to sit and chat about that?!

Chelone, thanks for the wishes for the coming school year. I do know these students coming to 4th grade-had them in 2nd grade. They are darling kiddoes. I did laugh, chuckle, snort when you wished that it would be a memorable year-there are all sorts of ways that could go, but I hope it does turn out as you intend. Didn't start teaching until I was 38, so I have 21 years in, but only 15 in my current district. I am also one of those who needs to wait until 67 to get full Social Security, so it could be another eight years if I work up until then. Not sure I can manage that and wish we had been smarter about investing. I still love working with the kids, but (and I know I have said this before, so I apologize for repeating)the rest is so tedious and there is so much playing politics and favorites. I suppose that is true everywhere and I have both benefited and suffered on those accounts. Could be much worse, so I am pretty lucky all things considered.

So far no rain again today despite seeming like it might this morning. I feel like going to a nursery to price out the trees/large shrubs I want to plant near the fence in the fall. Just a way to avoid accomplishing anything of substance today-ha.

Or...maybe a nap. ;)

Off to ponder the endless possibilities.

• chelone
    12 years ago

I have done an alteration, made a cushion for a foot stool, and very nearly completed a 2 panel window treatment. But I need a break and some exercise. I'm thinking it's time to fire up the "powy mowy" and addressing the lawns. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and it would be nice to get the mowing behind me. I'll finish the second window panel after my shower.

Capital idea!

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Well Chelone, I'm melting...after mowing & weeding. I've dragged the hose plenty today and the job continues. "Maybe rain" just isn't good enough for me. DH even turned on the A/C downstairs which he NEVER does.

Need to think about dinner. I guess another salad from the garden along with cheese fondue. Quick & easy. Nice to use our own green peppers, tomatoes, basil and lettuce!

Bought shoes this morning. They sure aren't free...but they fit with insoles inside them and I'm told are waterproof and good for camping. Why is it that packing is dragged out for days here? I guess Kathy does some of that too?

Next week the doctors gather to decide if Skyler's 2 heart valves should be replaced soon. It is time I think, and the doctor who spoke to his father says they should operate within 3 months. His Mom will no doubt procrastinate. They chose to speak to DSIL at lunch time when his Mom was out to eat with her entourage: boyfriend, father, visiting sister and kids, etc... It may be tricky with it being his first year of Jr High at a new school and in a new rental house with his Mom - mixed with surgery at Christmas time. Never a dull moment.

Cynthia, I miss the kids that I used to teach. We had good times by and large. I remember laughing with them until we cried. (Fortunately my boss was a good guy and understood!) But the paper work, the passes to the bathroom and library, attendance records and 2 weeks of written lesson plans in my top drawer for a sub to use, meetings, constant changes in methods, parent rants, lunch monitoring, and tons more made it a wicked experience too. Also, constant interruption over the loudspeakers for announcements. ARGH! Good life long friends there though!

Better get back to it all,
    Later!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

I must say �bug, I am a bit obsessive about packing ! I always start a list about a month before even a short road trip . I also have a �permanent� list too, with stuff I almost always take . This is a throw back to the days of family vacations and camping trips �I hated forgetting things. I�ve decided to replace my carry-on bag (for air travel) with a wheeled brief case. Way easier to negotiate the airports �I always carry on my camera and laptop, and if on business there may also be paperwork involved.

Cynthia, I would love to raise a glass with you and Cindy, but I'm going to Chicago and Boston. Thanks for the nice remark re: my blog. It's fun to do, and a great way to justify my compulsive photo-taking. Some of the water features we saw in Buffalo were quite diminutive, and uncomplicated. I just need to decide what I want. I may just start out with a fountain and a lotus bowl .

Chelone, If I lived out yonder on the 'right' coast I would most certainly make Buffalo GardenWalk a destination every few years (provided it didn't interfere with IU of course) just to look at the buildings. I know we only scratched the surface. We had quite a few chats on the amount of commitment it would take to maintain those houses , the gallons of paint that must be sold in that city has to be staggering !

Here are a few pics from Marys garden. She was a wonderful hostess and we were lucky enough to get a couple of private concerts by her talented DS. Thank you Mary !

Chicken digs, with new red paint ! {{gwi:171450}}From IU8 Buffalo

Marys front border {{gwi:171451}}From IU8 Buffalo
    {{gwi:171452}}From IU8 Buffalo
    {{gwi:171453}}From IU8 Buffalo
    {{gwi:171454}}From IU8 Buffalo
    {{gwi:171455}}From IU8 Buffalo

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

I'm so glad to see a post devoted to Mary's garden! Thank you Kathy! Yes, travel lists are a good thing. DS has them on his computer according to type of trip. (He does winter camping, conferences, European visits and Haiti business, all of which require different equipment.) I don't think I've ever had two trips that were alike in terms of what to take! I write lists, then scratch things at the last minute because I want to travel LIGHTLY! Wheeled luggage is a great help indeed. This time though camping is involved and temperatures and weather very uncertain. Then there are the pets to deal with...

Just wanted to add that my pink zinnias are blooming at last, next to the multicolored chard. I'd take a picture, but I can't post these days. Maybe they'll fix things on Monday! I did take shots of clematis, hollyhocks and lilies today. Maybe I'll have time on Monday to share some of them.
    OH! We had a bit of rain before dinner too!!!

Time to hit the sack...
    'bug

• chelone
    12 years ago

Boston, Kathy? 'haps we could raise a glass together if the stars align properly? When will the "eagle be landing"? Also wanted to note that we saw, "The Music Man" last week and it was delightful.

A lovely soft, gentle rain pattering away on the Filon roof outside the boudoir awakened me this morning. Wrecks and I did an abbreviated Compound Cruise (the brollie won't easily negotiate the Fairy Forest trail) but even with the rain it was a beautiful outside, green, lush, and monochromatically peaceful in the spreading dawn. I have hope it will continue throughout the day and into tomorrow. Just as well as I have lots of indoor things to attend to today.

Zinnias abound in Vegetable World, BTW. And the bouquet on the dining room table reminds me of the Zinnia challenges of years past. :)

Mary's garden looks to be thoroughly delightful; easy and charming but an echo of its mistress. Are there any extant shots of the poultry and the little, pushed in face of the pugster? (I love the hen house).

OK, time to ponder the day's work...

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Morning all, What a treat to wake up to a gentle summer rain. We so needed this! My trees in the back gardens were very thirsty. I'm still playing catch up in the gardens after being gone to IU for almost a week. It's amazing to me how much deadheading needs to be done this time of the year. The great news is that I have a whole new batch of compost that is ready to top dress my tired looking gardens, It really spruces things up.

Chelone, Kathy will be staying at our B&B on the Friday and Sat night. I think we'll be dining at Saucy's at some point over the weekend. You should come by and tip a glass.

Kathy, such beautiful pics of Mary's gardens! You really have a great eye for a picture. BTW, You got some views of the center strips of those neighborhoods that I missed. I really LOVE your photos where you are looking at them down the center of the image. I didn't see or get that and your images are awesome!

Cynthia, I have a friend who is a special ed teacher and I don't know how you ladies do it. She had a difficult year last year and is hoping for a better group this year.

Well looks like the sun is peeking out and it's time to get dressed and out in the gardens. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

'bug, yes, the memories of children over the years is what keeps all of in education going, isn't it! Schools are interesting in that the bonds we forge with each other really do last-shared experiences?

Deanne, I watched the video of you on the Boston Connections show. How fun was that. I am so impressed that you are able to last eight hours a day in the garden. No wonder mine looks so pathetic in comparison! I think I may need to increase my dedication if I ever hope to be a worthy Idyll.

Kathy, Mary's gardens are absolutely charming. You are so good to post all the pictures for us. Sounds like a mini IU taking place, Kathy. Have a splendid time all of you.

Off to check on the rotten diggers-they were so funny to watch yesterday-one on either side of the stone steps going into the lowest part of the yard, sticking their noses under the top step. I pity the poor vole of chipmunk they were after. All I could see of Annabelle was her rear end up in the air with her tail wagging furiously. Clouseau is so good about coming when called, but she never lets go of the hunt unless food is in the offing-why give up a wild snack unless you are assured of an easier treat? When I walked down to pull her away, I could see they had completely dug out under the step, so that will need to be filled in again (for the third time). Jeez, can't break her of digging or jumping the fence to get into the woods. I think I will buy some chicken wire and place it into the dirt as I fix the step. May have to buy in bulk to discourage her. Too bad we don't have several acres for her to explore.

Oh, and we had EXACTLY 14 minutes of rain yesterday (yes, I timed it)-enough to wet the soil to the depth of about 1 mm. Boo hiss. Humid and hot today, so a pricing trip to the nursery is in order and then the hardware store for chicken wire!

Glad to hear some of you are getting rain. Chelone, that walk sounds positively delightful. I can't remember the last time I needed an umbrella. :(

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Okay, this is no longer amusing. Thunder sounding all over the place. Skies opened. It rained for less than two minutes! Seriously not funny.

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

It's a beautiful day here with temps in the upper 70's with much less humidity.

Kathy, I do believe that I missed a wonderful IU. Although, I am really enjoying all the pictures posted by everyone. Thanks for the pictures from Mary's garden. It looks as fun as she is.

Chelone, the Beech is about 4'. I'm not sure how fast they grow. It is still in the pot while I ponder. I agree you must take and then post pictures. I've not seen nearly enough of your garden.

'bug, Skylar's surgery sounds like a fairly serious one. Hopefully, everyone can agree on what is best and make it as stress free as possible.

Deanne, glad to hear that you have received a needed rain. We are in need here as well. 7" was great and the garden loved it, but I'd rather get it in 4 or 5 separate rains.

Cyn, sorry that you didn't get the hoped for rain.

We are enjoying the fruits of the potager. Lunch today was tacos with fresh onions & tomatoes, roasted beets and summer squash, sweet corn and a sliced kohlrabi.

Here are the 2 clems growing on the new fence. The one with the dangly flowers was purchased as "Multi-Blue" I don't think it is. The other I don't have any record of. This one is a fairly small flower.

{{gwi:171456}}

{{gwi:171457}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Michelle, the first reminds me of Blue Belle, the second of Polish Spirit. Those are just guesses, so best to check it out at the site below.

Today was busy-busy. Two friends came by at different times which is always fun, but I feel rushed now to accomplish things before we travel. DH managed to burn the things in the fire pit, which is great. I mowed some more.

I have piles more to accomplish, so away I go!
    'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: COTW

• dodgerdudette
    12 years ago

Lots of garden chores this weekend-what a mess it was out there ! Feeling much better now. I filled both 55gal yard waste toters and a 32gal trash can too. Notes were made on some serious renovations for fall, involving tree removal. I have a Birch that is on the way out, riddles with exit holes, and a Japanese Maple that is beneath a neighbors tree -double shade , no bueno. My JM is just the basic variety, so not a tragedy.

Chelone, wouldn't I love to raise a glass with you ! This is a weekend visit stuck on the end of a business trip, and as Deanne said my base of operations is the Fortnum B&B. We are going to Tower Hill at some point-how about it ? Idyllunion 8.5 !

Deanne, your Extreme Gardener segment was priceless-I kept thinking that you made 350 containers seem almost normal since you were so calm cool and collected. I'm going to try to post the link below for out non-fb friends. The comments there about �hearing your voice� made me remember my first IU and what it was like to hear voices of friends whose words I had only read.

Time for dinner

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Our fave extreme gardener