Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs_clare

IU3 Day 3

babs_clare
17 years ago

Sunday started out with brunch at Ei's...she's got the nicest DH. He was always preparing something or cleaning up and the food was exceptional. Quiches,fruit salad,watermelon slices...and what were those fruit drinks with melon in them? please stop me I'm getting hungry.

Her garden is spectacular-all I know is I kept gasping each time I saw a new area as I walked along.(They're lucky I didn't pass out; )

Eileen we can never thank you and your DH enough for welcoming us into your home & garden!

(Michelle,Eileen,& Drema)

{{gwi:171529}}

Some front yard pics...

{{gwi:171532}}

{{gwi:171534}}

{{gwi:171537}}

And these are in her backyard garden...

{{gwi:171540}}

{{gwi:171543}}

Here is a link that might be useful: a few more pics

Comments (33)

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Babs...I need you to come and photograph my garden for me all the time...you sure do make it look beautiful! :-) I agree DH was so good at the IU3...I wouldn't have been able to do it without him...he even did the dishes while we were gone! :-o I had to laugh at the picture of me. *Your* photography skills are great (don't you just love Drema's and Michelle's smiles?) but I swear, there are very few pictures of me in my life when my mouth *wasn't* open...Hmm, maybe I should learn something from that...LOL! :-) Anyway, loved all your pics and thanks for the extra link. You should have posted that pic of you, Mary, Taryn & Monique here...it is the *cutest* picture ever...such sweet, young, fresh faces....I loved it! You guys are so cute...in looks *and* in personality!
    I'm feeling all squishy inside thinking of having had all the Idylls here...I enjoyed you all so much...it was very special for me. I'm saving all these pics...Thanks again! Ei

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Ei, we just loved you and your DH! And what a sweetie he is! Your home and gardens are to die for! And everything was immaculate. I couldn't have another IU -- I'd need a dump truck for a week to clean out the junk I've accumulated just to start preparing.

Ei, the combos and placements were so striking and functional. You are so creative. I just loved what you did in the front of the house in the drainage ditch. You took an eyesore and turned it into an incredible asset!

Thanks again, for your wonderful hospitality, unbelievable food (recipes please!), wonderful itinerary and inspiration from your personal garden. You guys were definitely the hostesses (and hosts) with the mostess!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Babs, great pictures of a wonderful garden. Eileen's garden is so magical, I just loved it. Something must have been quite funny in the one with me, Ei and Drema. Since my memory card was pretty full, I didn't get alot from Ei's garden, I'm glad you posted these.

Michelle

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Ei, Babs did a wonderful job of showing your gardens. I have always loved your pictures of it as well. I know the work getting ready for IU3 was well worth entertaining your Idyll friends. What fun. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

From Day three...Ei's absolutely lovely home and gardens.

{{gwi:171558}}

{{gwi:171560}}

Would I love to have a great looking potting area like this.

{{gwi:171572}}

I was surprised at how well this one came out.

{{gwi:171574}}

Couldn't resist...lol.

{{gwi:171577}}

I didn't get any pictures at the Morton Arboretum. But took quite a few at the Idea garden at Cantigny.

Here's Marie and a wagonload of coleus for Deanne.

{{gwi:171580}}

Everyone should have a sedum sea monster.

{{gwi:171583}}

The bells and arches in Trudy Temple's garden.

{{gwi:148550}}

{{gwi:171586}}

David & Jim and another wagonload of tender plants.

{{gwi:171588}}

As usual, the rest are linked below.

So, how long is it til IU4?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: IU3 Day Three

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Fabulous shots Sue....except for the gem with me wearing shorts with socks. (It's an old lady foot problem folks, not a fashion statement!)

Les & Monique, right?

Can someone explain to me why Rodgersia is planted in full sun at Cantigny?

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah Sue,I know that feeling...I just couldn't resist; ). And I'll bet someone has a bum shot of me too in that one...Mary?
    {{gwi:171592}}
    (I have that exact Les & Moniques pic in my files listed as 'bums of steel': )

Sue that shot of the globe ball is awesome!!YOu have many great pics of everything.

Mary just couldn't keep her hands of the 'fun-guy' in Ei's garden...!
    {{gwi:171599}}

~Babs

• david_5311
    17 years ago

Boy, wasn't this a fabulous day??? Great food, great company, unbelievable gardens starting with Eileen's, great places to visit, ending with a visit to Trudy Temple's wonderful garden. It was SO worth the drive and the lost sleep before work the next morning.

Jim was shocked (though not in a bad way) to find that his picture could well be on line. And there it is, a great one taken by Sue in front of Trudy's planted wagon. What a great idea from Trudy's garden, to use large containers in difficult places rather than messing with tree roots and poor soil. Duh. Wish I had thought of it. Thanks Sue for posting this and your other pictures. And Babs your pics are wonderful too.

Jim and I had such a fabulous time we are thinking about going back to visit some of the places in the early fall. I SO loved the ?northwind perennial farm in lake geneva and would love to see their display gardens then. And we would take the truck too, not only for plants, but also plant stands and Ironworks stuff from the cheaper place we visited Saturday, also a Bistro table from Planter's Palette....we'll see.

Thanks to Eileen for hosting such an incredible IU3 Sunday.

David and Jim

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

THUD!

Hark! The sound of someone's bum getting booted to Disney. lol

It's a good thing I was wearing black pants-no VPL.

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Babs and her camera in action

{{gwi:171603}}

and leaving the scene of the crime

{{gwi:171604}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

LOL! So far I've managed to mostly stay out of the pictures except for Bab's behind shot-just as well.

Marie, I can't get my Rodgersia to grow in the shade either. I'm beginning to think it should be in the same class as Bergenia for me.

Sue

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah but man is my bum WIDE(darn!). Mary you used to be my friend; )lolol. I have to admit I LOL when I saw those two pics somehow I knew you wouldn't accidentally delete them!

OK we need more Trudi pics here-I'm dying to see more!!

~B

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Well, Im really really disappointed because the 2nd whole roll of film I took in the rear garden of Trudi's house did not turn out (the battery had run low on camera) - piffle; however, I did manage to get a few pics of the front of her house:

{{gwi:171605}}

The rest are at this link (so as not to load this thread up too much):

Here is a link that might be useful: Trudi Temple's Front Garden

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Ei - I just loved loved your garden! as you can tell, from all my photos at the below link.... there were so many details you have - something new every where you turned - my shots are not as impressive as some of our other photographers, but here they are in case there are some you want -- what a delight it is!

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos of Ei's Garden

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cindy don't knock your photo taking capabilities-you got many wonderful shots and views of so many highlights of our weekend....like 'Bug laying among the plants in a pile of mulch----I am SOOOO glad I didn't lay down there as at the time I wasn't even thinking of all the people online who's see me like that...(LOL just teasing you 'Bug: )
    I am crying softly at what I missed from Trudi's(love her house too)-it sounded like so much fun. Thanks Cindy!!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Babs, I believe Trudi's garden is supposed to be on Gardeners Diary on Aug 8 at 7:00 a.m. eastern.

Nice display of the copper leaf plant in the wagon by 'bug.

Cindy, thanks for the nice pictures of Trudi's front garden.

There are some great photos on the thread. I love 'bug as a butterfly. I must say my first thought was of a grave, but what a lovely one.

Michelle

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's the gang...
    {{gwi:171613}}

Drema here's the shot you asked for at Cantigny:
    {{gwi:171625}}

Marian we did think of you as we trekked along a long hot path trying to catch up with the group... we thought you'd enjoy seeing this:
    {{gwi:171631}}

Unfortunately these last two pics make me melancholy as Drema's and my weekend ended after these refreshing margaritas and a bite to eat. We left with memories of a fabulous weekend filled with friendship,laughter,and beautiful gardens dancing in our heads(margaritas can do that too...; ) It just went way too fast!
    {{gwi:171633}}
    {{gwi:171637}}
    ~Babs

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Aw David, thanks...I can genuinely say "It was *my* pleasure!" You guys are all so wonderful. I was just so tickled to meet you after so many years of admiring your posts...and I really enjoyed your friend Jim too...what a great guy!

Boy so many great photographers here. Sue I *love* that pic of David & Jim...hope you're saving that one David! And the globe...how cool is that?! I love the way you captured the clouds with the hot pink lining that echos the colors of the roses.

Mary...thanks for the giggles...I love candid shots! :-)

Cindy...I am *so* glad you took so many pics of Trudi's front gardens (I've saved them all)....secretly her front gardens have *always* been my favorite. Wish you guys could see her front gardens from the beginning of the season to the end, it is always *so* different in every stage and just so darn beautiful! And I really have to thank you for taking so many pics of my garden too. Actually I've always been unhappy with my garden in late summer (especially August) it always has seemed messy and out of control to me this time of year. But you gave me a chance to see that there are things about my garden that really are very nice, even this time of year. Thank you! :-) I'm going to save all your pics and go through them in the winter and think about what I want to change (that is if we haven't moved by then)! BTW, I agree with Babs...you did a *wonderful* job with your pics from all 3 Idyll days!

In fact there have been so many lovely pics....I want to frame them all...LOL!

What a lovely pic of Honey, Babs! Honey, I couldn't believe when you said that you once had a weight problem Honey?! I would have never guessed it from meeting you. You look fabulous and very fetching I thought in your outfit from day 3! What trim and lovely tanned legs! Thanks Babs for taking pics of the dinner hour. I was so nuts by then that I didn't really get a chance to see all those smiling faces! It makes me feel good cause now I know everyone *did* have a great time! Babs...I think we have very similar tastes...I have *always* loved Trudi's house too. Would like to build something similar, but on a much smaller scale. I love that romantic storybook cottage look. Reminds me of so many homes I saw in Europe.

Thanks again everyone for sharing! Well, I just got back from taking mom shopping and need to unpack my own groceries...TTYL! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oops! Cindy I meant to say thank you too for all the great pics of Cantigny! You took pictures of all the things that I had wanted pics of! :-) What a great shot of that Sea Monster too...wasn't he the neatest? If I had kids I would *definitely* try to make something like that! :-) Okay really gotta go now....Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Wow, we've got quite a collection of pictures here-great memories! I can't believe it was a week ago already when we were strolling through the CBG.

Ei, did you realize the globe reflects the front of your house perfectly? David pointed it out to me. The other picture I took of it (in my Picturetrail album) came out pretty good too.

Sue

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Yes Sue, one week ago today at about this time I was in my first stretch limo headed for the CBG!

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

EiÂs garden was beautiful, full of interesting plants, colorful flowers and cozy nooks.

{{gwi:171639}}

We have this birdbath in green but Ei's plum colored one would match our front door perfectly.
    {{gwi:171642}}

{{gwi:171644}}

{{gwi:171645}}

{{gwi:171646}}

The Morton Arboretum:
    {{gwi:171647}}

{{gwi:171648}}

Cantigny:
    {{gwi:171649}}

{{gwi:171652}}

{{gwi:171655}}

TrudiÂs beautiful garden:
    {{gwi:171656}}

{{gwi:171660}}

{{gwi:171672}}

A "Trudi pit":
    {{gwi:171676}}

Looking out to the back garden from the house at dusk:
    {{gwi:171679}}

Here is a link that might be useful: IU3-day 3 (Monique's photos)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Great pictures, Monique! I'm glad you got one of Trudi herself. Why didn't you post this one?

{{gwi:171682}}

LOL! I love this one. When I came to it in your album I cracked up. It's definitely frame quality.

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Lol Sue I had the same thought when I saw Monique's picture that I should get it out here. That is the cutest picture. Of course Monique is such a doll anyway.

Michelle

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bravo Monique on all your pics!!!Thanks SO much for Trudi pics-I see I missed something truly wonderful. Her place is just breathtaking and meticulously cared for! What a beautiful place that is. I have to go back and inspect them more! Ei thanks for arranging that visit-even just being able to see pics is great.

Too funny! that idea garden pic of you is so cute I was lol when I saw that!

So were those bum shots staged???Did I not say that the sweet,mild-mannered idylls were the ones to be wary of when avoiding bum shots?? Making a mental note for next time lol.

OK who else got Trudi pics? cough 'em up!

~Babs

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

That was the most perfect funeral that I have ever attended. Absolute perfection, and a wonderful tribute to the lovely man that was being honored. I came home with a good feeling...something you don't usually have after a funeral.

Then I opened this thread and saw all the generous and kind posts of you all. I hope that my love of gardening, and of all the good things in creation, can carry me on with you all even though my gardening abilities are waning. :-(
    Just give me a little cottage, with a plant room and a deck, and I can continue 'gardening'! :-)

My dear old dad always said he would be content living in a cave. I sure wouldn't go that far...I couldn't grow many plants in a cave! ;-) Besides, I would suffer claustrophobia!

I wish I would rise farther above my aging process, and be more upbeat. I guess it's like Nolon always says.."It's not the age, it's the mileage" lol
    I am too idealistic, and do accept the inevitable. Too many think if they ignore it. it will go away. I think back to when I was the age of many of you, and of all the things I did,( as much as my situation would allow). I can't remember if I was intimidated by older people. I'm sure I never felt as though it was a threat to my own mortality. Actually, most of my best friends have been several years older than I.

Teresa, I am so glad things are looking up for you. When does your moving have to be completed?

Hmmmmmm, I think Monique looks more like "The Thinker". lol
    But much prettier.

Trudy's garden is truly lovely. Does she do all of it herself? Explain the purpose of the man laying in the flowerbed? That tree with the face would freak me out!

I have heard Eileen's laughter over the phone, so when I see her pics I can almost hear her again. :-)

All right, you gals...enough with the 'bum' shots......lol.
    Espacially the staged ones! Neat sedum sea monster. I wonder how long one of those would last here?

Eileen, I must get more of those gazing balls. The one that I have is rather small, but I think it may deter the deer from the plants near it.Maybe it's their reflection in it? They look so pretty in your lovely beds.

LOL on the "wagon load of coleus for Deanne".

V, I was raised around prairies, in fact I was born on Camas Prairie! I loved looking for the wild flowers when I was a child. It is neat that you are restoring yours. There is a natural one within the city limits of Harrison...Baker's Prairie. It probably can be found on Google. I love your log house.

Time for my PM rest. TTYAL
    Marian

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Yea, that Monique is a natural beauty....isn't she? And I too *love* that picture.

Sue...you little stinker, I would have never guessed you had it in you to climb into that pot...LOL!

Marian - actually hubby is the one who loves gazing balls...I really have never been very good with ornament, but I admit I really *do* love the gazing ball that Sue took a picture of. Yes Sue, I did notice the house. In fact I was thinking...wouldn't that make a unique picture to use if we did sell the house? :-) Did you guys know I painted the stand for it myself?... and the birdbath stand as well...have to brag a little cause I'm going to tell you guys something and I am being truthful and *definitely* not looking for compliments. I really don't like my garden much in late July or August. It always looks so busy to me. You guys were very sweet with your compliments, but I know in my heart, that it wasn't up to snuff. Admittedly, it was more messy because I left all the reseeders up, intending to share them with you guys and then forgetting to collect them...LOL! And yes, I admit it *did* kind of bother me to have you guys see it that way. Marian...I was nodding my head in total agreement when you had said you hoped they would come visit you in spring...that is my season too! :-) Late summer is the worst for me. Oh well, I'll be better about making a design in the next place. It's the backyard that mostly bothers me. For years it was just a collection place for all the plants I wanted to have and could get so cheaply when I was working in that biz. For the last couple years I have been trying to be more selectively and deleting some - trying to make it more cohesive and then the drought killed off areas I had fixed, but no matter, I'm not blaming it on the drought, I feel like I will never make the backyard look how I want it to...short of digging the whole thing up...LOL! Anyway, you guys know me well enough by now that I can't hold anything back and I spill my guts, so there I go...sorry...just ignore me!

Marian...I wish I could give you a big *real* hug right now...well, you know what I think of you. I admire you, respect you, think the world of you. You remind me so much of my dear Mrs. Shack.

Maybe I'm just getting sad and melancholy. It's been tough these last two years and every time I think I'm seeing the light...bam! Okay, here's the other news, my mom has broken 4 ribs and they are keeping her in the hospital for observation for at least 3-4 days, concerned about possible pneumonia or a punctured lung.

Oh well, I was going to post this at the regular Idyll, but then just started spilling my guts, like I always do... geez, sometimes I even make myself sick of me....

Ei

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Arrrrrrgh! I posted my lengthy post on the wrong thread!
    Eileen, it is now on the correct thread!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Ei, if you want to see a garden that is overgrown and looking forward to a visit from Edward Scissorhands, jump on a plane and come here. I actually try to go for the late season garden look and come August I just want to rip the whole thing out and start again. Today I plan to go out in the heat and hack, hack, hack. The solution I think, at least for me is to rely more heavily on woody plants with interesting habits and foliage and less heavily on early and mid summer blooming perennials. Plant later blooming stuff and fill in your gaps with annuals and tropicals. We all have the same problem, trust me, we only see what we consider the flaws in our own gardens. What's funny is you go to other people's gardens and never see any flaws. Every garden always looks great to me except my own...lol. I loved your garden and home. It was just fantastic with all the neat details and creative layout. You should be nothing but proud of it all.

So sorry about your mom. Thank goodness you forced her to go to the hospital. You no doubt prevented further damage.

Sorry about the bum shots, Marian. That Monique certainly gets carried away, doesn't she? lol

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

LOL...on the 'bum shots'. It just goes to show...not all derrieres are created equil..;-) Mine is almost
    non-existant! (smile)

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I knew you'd take some gorgeous shots, Monique! Really terrific - wow - thanks for posting them. Especially Trudi - I've been sharing her story w/ friends & now I'll show them these photos. She was a marvel, wasnt she?

Ei - Im sorry about your Mom -- good thing you took her to the hospital - they'll watch over her. It is tough to be our age & be in the "tween" stages of caring for elderly & youngers (even the young adults need help), isnt it? I think a lot of us share that subject. Chin up -- as Sue said, your gardens looked so lovely to all of us -- I feel like mine are weeds & wild hodge podge of stuff right now...

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Sue....can't blame it all on Monique;-) There you were looking like Boticelli's Birth of Venus, only in a pot not on a shell! OK, so she didn't wear sandals...
    {{gwi:171685}}

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Oh my, oh my!!!! What fun it is to see all the wonderful photographs of IU3. Talk about feeling like I missed the best party ever! I'm so glad everyone had such a wonderful time. Wish I could have been there.

Deanne

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus