Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Saturday at the farm

gardenbug
17 years ago

Some shots from our farm taken this morning. It was an especially good time for clematis here.

Last year my friend Woody had given me some Becky daisies and you can see them here today!

{{gwi:171705}}

A single hollyhock plant appeared in the compost heap this year!

{{gwi:171706}}

By the creek the ligularia is doing well.

{{gwi:171707}}

We keep the pond edge on the wild side to discourage geese from hanging about.

{{gwi:171709}}

I particularly enjoy shade plants.

{{gwi:171710}}

This is Clematis Venosa Violacea with the species viticella.

{{gwi:171711}}

In an island bed, sedum and Veronica 'pink damask'.

{{gwi:171712}}

For 'V', her namesake, this one in white.

{{gwi:171713}}

By the barn, Clematis Zoin.

{{gwi:171714}}

And finally, in the vegetable garden, a post decorated with Polish Spirit clematis and C. Prince Charles. Behind them, C. Summer Snow.

{{gwi:171715}}

Thanks for joining us!

Comments (13)

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Thanks for the lovely tour. Everything looks wonderful.

Clematis Zoin is new to me and I love that color and the post of clems is spectacular. It all is just beautiful.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Gorgeous pics Marie! Is that Helenium near the pond? I love heleniums, especially my favorite old standby 'Moerheim Beauty'.

Loved seeing violacea too...I just got that one this year and it's not doing anything...yet! I have a soft spot for hollyhocks too...*especially* the single ones. Wish they were more reliable re-seeders in my garden. Your last pic is just stunning and I too love your Clematis Zoin.

Hope to see your gorgeous property and lovely gardens in person one day!

Thanks for sharing. Glad you and Woody had a lovely day.

Ei

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Good morning Maria! Thanks for the lovely tour of your gardens. I think the wild look by the pond is very nice.
    I am wondering what species that hollyhock is. It isn't like the kind that I have. It looks more like a Lavateria.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

I was wondering if that was Helenium next to the Veronicastrum; I have that combo in my garden! It's been a good year for Veronicastrum, says V. I found a new patch in the wetlands area yesterday.

Thanks for the tour, Marie!

V. (call me C.R. for short?)

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Oh, Marie what lovely pictures! I'm so glad that you and Woody had a dry day for touring your gardens.

What is the plant in front of the blue hosta in picture #5 with the wide white margin? Is it a hosta? It is always fun to see what pops up near the compost pile and your hollyhock is lovely.

Thanks for including us in the tour and I echo Ei, that I'd love to see it in person one day.

Michelle

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

'bug -- your photography makes your farm appear a very magical place -- wow!!! Glorious combinations -- and you were lucky to have such a gorgeous day for this year's visit. That's the most beautuous "vegetable garden" I've ever seen!!

Thanks for taking the time to share these exquisite vignettes.

--Cindy

• deanneart
    17 years ago

OH my!!! Simply gorgeous. I love all the gorgeous gardens, plants, and the photography is out of this world. That C. Summer Snow is wonderful. Do you have a close up photo of that flower? I've never been able to successfully grow veronicastrum and yours is spectacular and the patch of ligularia dentata by your pond is something I can only dream of. I can grow ligularia but it never does as well as your group by the pond. I keep telling myself that I'm going to dig that patch out and put a liner under it so it doesn't dry out so fast.

Anyway, I really enjoyed these. Thanks for posting the pics for us.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll try to answer a few questions, but it is so hot I can barely click the mouse! ;-)

Yes Ei, that is Helenium by the pond, and likely Moorheim Beauty. Try to be patient with Venosa Violacea. Remember, first year sleep, second year creep, third year leap! (For me it is often 4th year leap!)

Marian, it doesn't surprise me that you enjoy the wild pond area. After looking at your photos, I think we share a fondness for that look! I'm looking forward to seeing the practice shots from your new camera soon!

V, I only wish the veronicastrum popped up voluntarily! I also have some violet colored v, but it tends to be floppy. Love it still. The Helenium next to the v in the photo was bought as a short tiny unlabelled thing last year so I was surprised to see it tall this summer!

Michelle, the white plants in front of the hosta are a type of brunerra that has no name. (sorry!) I moved them from a different area to brighten things up.

Deanne, that Summer Snow is truly a monster. I only suggest it if you want to cover a building. I cut off 3/4 of it before Woody's arrival! What you see in the photo are all that is left. It grows about 30 feet each year after pruning. Yes, it is beautiful! Take a look at the URL below. I love the idea of your joining IU3 on Sunday, hopefully Sunday Evening's big event!

So a few more for anyone with energy enough to read this far-
    Hostas are doing so well this year!
    {{gwi:171716}}

Clematis Abundance.
    {{gwi:171717}}

Clematis Duchess of Albany swallowing a hydrangea!
    {{gwi:171719}}

Clematis Elvan, a sweetie!~
    {{gwi:171721}}

Asiatic lilies look nice against the dark berberis.(Woody also likes them near Heuchera Obsidian)
    {{gwi:171723}}

A soft yellow day lily with a gentle scent grows behind clematis Pamjat Serdsta.
    {{gwi:171725}}

The Sidalcea clusters about Becky daisies.
    {{gwi:171727}}

Time for a cool glass of water. Pant pant pant......

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Snow

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Lovely photos Marie! I like that sweet Clematis Elvan-I wonder if it is available in the states? Clematis Zoin is cute also.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Ha - I see you snuck more photos in!! Yummy, yummy....
    I've got Cl. Summer Snow (its the creep year.. hmmm, so far about 10 feet in each direction on the fence)- I knew it got big but, wow, hope it's not a real monster! I guess one can always do "haircuts", 'bug? It is scrumptious w/ the fantastic combo of Pr. Charles & Polish Spirit! Love, love those lilies!!

Thanks for finding time to add more!!
    Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Beautiful, Marie! Canada IU4, here we come! lol

Sue

• just_t
    17 years ago

Marie, your photos are always so very beautiful. Thank you for sharing how your visit with Woody went (I miss her posts)......and for sharing the beauty surrounding your home.

T.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tour GB. I may have to try some Helenium. I wonder if it would grow well here. I like the Polish Spirit/Prince Charles combo too. Also what are the small white flowers in the shade plant photo.
    Did Woody enjoy doing her garden tour day at her place? Would she do it again? I hope her health is holding up. I miss her posts also. Norma

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor