Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

IU3 Day 2

michelle_zone4
17 years ago

OK this first picture is from day 1, but I had to post these giant containers for Deanne. Note the doors for reference as to the height.

{{gwi:171923}}

The group was invited by Rich of Rich's Foxwillow Pines to come out to his place and see his garden full of confiers. Here we are admiring his pond.

{{gwi:171935}}

A few shots from the Northwind Perennial Farm. I loved this place.

{{gwi:171939}}

{{gwi:171942}}

{{gwi:171943}}
{{gwi:148267}}

A little hard to see, but we are all on different colored vintage chairs.

{{gwi:171944}}

A fabulous area of garden art and coleus.

{{gwi:148266}}

A shot from Kimball & Bean. Very high end, but some of us found similar small urns for cheap at Steel Heart. Too bad I couldn't fit that $3000 antique urn in the trunk. LOL If you are interested, they have a website.

{{gwi:171945}}

I bet this was the first time any of us had wine and cheese on the prairie. What fun!

{{gwi:171953}}

Comments (27)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Let's relive the weekend! Michelle, this is great-I have some totally different shots from day two that I'll post tonight. Unfortunately I ran out of space at Picturetrail and have to keep deleting stuff to get more to fit.

BTW, EP is lurking...Hi EP!

Sue

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Whoo hoo...more pics! :-) Those containers are so *lovely*! I had heard about the containers at CBG from some of the other idylls...

I *too* loved Northwind...wish it were closer to my home! :-) And wasn't that Rich a hoot? And so generous too.

Looking forward to more pics...

Thanks Michelle!

Ei

• just_t
    17 years ago

Michelle, wonderful photos, thank you for sharing them. The containers are monstrous! I love the garden gate, urns and other decor.....it looks like the Idylls went to some awesome places.

Thanks again,
    T.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Northwind was indeed very special! But the photo to remember the entire weekend is the last one. I'll remember that day always. Prairies forever!

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Yes, GB, I am so bummed that I don't have the memory of wandering through the prairie too...I *know* I missed something very special and it really bums me out. Your picture is stunning Michelle...I love the tall grasses with the stars of white flowers dancing in the sunlight! :-) Ei

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Great photos, Michelle. And Ei, I agree w/Bug -- the prairie walk was indeed so very special and interesting!

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Hi EP! We know you were with us in spirit!

Not many of my photos turned out. Here are a few:

{{gwi:171954}}

Michelle -- great minds think alike! Deanne, this reminded all of us of you!

{{gwi:171970}}

Does anyone remember the name of this allium?

{{gwi:171979}}

We're thinking of adding a water feature. This one was gorgeous:

{{gwi:171980}}

{{gwi:171981}}

{{gwi:171982}}

{{gwi:171983}}

This guy didn't look real but was:

{{gwi:171984}}

{{gwi:171985}}

How about using this in the garden? It looked great.

{{gwi:171986}}

"When Pigs Fly" from Rich's Farm:

{{gwi:171987}}

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Yeeee haaa - Im loving the IU3 all over again!! Terrific pics, people (mine are at the developers)....
    Wish I were back in Illinois!! (when pigs fly???)

-Cindy

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Honey -- it's allium angulosum ("mouse garlic") -- I bet we'll all be growing it in our gardens now - loverly plant!!

--Cindy

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

I bought one and brought it home in my cooler-Allium angulosum 'Summer Beauty'. I haven't seen it at my local nurseries so couldn't resist the purchase.

Great photos everyone! We just got home a few hours ago and I haven't even taken my camera out of the case yet.

Honey, I do have your umbrella! I'll email you to get your address so I can ship it to you.

We had a great time and I look forward to seeing more photos over the next few days!

Monique

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I'll just add a few because these threads are already getting photo heavy.

From Rich's Foxwillow Pines...

{{gwi:171988}}

Northwind Perennials...

{{gwi:171989}}

Prairie walkers...

{{gwi:171990}}

The rest are linked below.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Day two

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Gorgeous Pics Sue! I especially love that last one looking back at "V's little house on the prairie". Great seeing everyone's pics, remembering what I saw and even what I didn't see...I swear I never saw that "column bench" the one where Monique & DH are sitting! How could I have missed something so large?!? Thanks again everyone for sharing! Ei

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

I agree w/Ei, Sue. I particularly love V's house, so perfect for the prairie!

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

I really enjoyed our visit to Fox Willow Pines-Rich,the owner was very charismatic with his knowledge,humor and philosophical illustrations in regards to what gardeners bring to the world and each other. He's the guy pictured below.
    {{gwi:171991}}
    People concentrating on a speaker don't make the best photo subjects but I like this shot of Ei(not paying attention lolol).
    {{gwi:171992}}
    The place was crawling with paparazzi...this shot of Sue was taken just before I stuck my tongue out at her...I'm almost afraid to see what other shots were taken: )
    {{gwi:171993}}
    The place was beautiful and made me think more outside the perennial box...I could easily become addicted to conifers/trees after seeing this place...I just need more space and more money; )[I could be Chris' worst nightmare]
    {{gwi:171994}}
    I love this tree...who can tell me its name-I do need to know.
    {{gwi:171995}}
    Isn't this a gorgeous combo?It's Fagus sylvatica'Purpureum tricolor' and a Picea(not sure which).
    {{gwi:171996}}
    Since I was shooting more than listening I don't know this one but look at the black cones-they were darker in real life!Just stunning.
    {{gwi:171997}}
    This one's for Mary(if you need another shot I have one that has a more focused shot of the uppermost branches too)
    {{gwi:171998}}

These few are from the Prairie-light was getting scarce so I didn't get as many as I wanted to. I so enjoyed chatting with V's BIL & SIL. Her BIL declared it safe for V to travel with the Idylls in the future after spending time with us.[little does he know those were actors and we are all a bunch a 14yr old boys..LOLOL]
    {{gwi:171999}}
    Lynn wanted a pic of this moth...Hey V-when you aren't busy; )could you say off hand if you know this little guy? I do need to come visit you again because I would love to get more fauna pics from your prairie paradise.
    {{gwi:172000}}
    I crack up because when anyone sees a creepy crawler they yell "BABS!" so I will get pics.
    {{gwi:172001}}
    Isn't this pretty? This the view off to the side of V's deck area in the backyard.It was even better in reality.
    {{gwi:172002}}

~Babs

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Babs - those are just gorgeous.

I don't think we have the group shot posted yet - here we are in front of Steel Heart where many of us made some neat purchases. Ei is holding hers.

{{gwi:172003}}

Rich from Fox Willow Pines was such a character - I don't know which I enjoyed more - hearing him or seeing his incredible gardens. As well as having us all in stiches, Rich was very moving when he talked about his work with the charity Heifer International. He donates all of the money from his perennial sales to this organization, some $40,000 per year, to help combat world hunger. Certainly food for thought.

{{gwi:172004}}

One I couldn't resist - Mystic is a VERY friendly dog - here he is greeting Les

{{gwi:172005}}

The prairies at V's will stay in my memory for a long, long time.

{{gwi:172006}}

Mary

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Yum!Mystic is a juicy kisser eh,Les?

Mary thanks for posting those great pics! I like the prairie one too-in fact I wonder if V could give us a list of plant names that she's got growing in her prairie. I think the wine made me a little absent minded: ) There was a purple one(not the monarda)that I asked about...and can't remember now.

I love the group shot-thanks since I didn't get that shot.

~Babs

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I thought Kimball & Bean was quite theatrical -- a few shots I liked:

{{gwi:172007}}

{{gwi:172008}}

{{gwi:172009}}

Northwind Perennials was way cool - wish I had nurseries like this in my area:

{{gwi:172010}}

{{gwi:172011}}

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

LOL Babs...There must have been something "bright and shiny" in the other direction that caught my attention! :-)
    Gorgeous pics! You *are* the master of creature pictures! That picture of the prairie with the monarda in the corner is exquisite (new word)! Definitely framing quality! I loved those pine cones too.

Mary what a nice summary of our Day 2 visit. That Rich was really a very interesting man; wasn't he? I really enjoyed listening to him talk! Love, love, love the "whole group shot". That will be going on the wall upstairs! :-)

Cindy I loved Kimball and Bean too (even if I can't afford them). I loved the bee skeps placed about the property...it for some reason reminded me of a take on Stonehenge. :-)....very cool!

Thanks everyone for sharing these, it's so wonderful to see them all and remember our visit together!

Ei

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Ei, I'm waiting for your friend Dotti's silo photos! :-) Wasn't that just so cool? I'll never convince DH, but that won't stop me from trying!

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Day 2/Saturday also had a great itinerary. After breakfast on the square (I saved myself for lunch), we headed to a bunch of unique nurseries and antique shops.

RichÂs Foxwillow Pines

{{gwi:172012}}

{{gwi:172013}}

Sorry Marian, at least this one was unplanned LOL
    {{gwi:172014}}

Abies koreana ÂNanaimoÂ, with violet cones (produced freely when young according to the web)
    {{gwi:172015}}

{{gwi:172016}}

Northwind Perennial Farm in Lake Geneva, WI (we went back on Tuesday to buy a couple more perennials since we were staying in the area with friends)
    {{gwi:172017}}

{{gwi:172018}}

{{gwi:172019}}

"Ouch, I thought these were comfy cushions not stones"
    {{gwi:172020}}

{{gwi:172021}}

{{gwi:172022}}

VÂs praire walk-what a pleasant surprise to find wine, cheese, & sausage in the middle of the stroll thru their property-I LOVED it!
    {{gwi:172027}}

Forgot to mention that we stopped back in the square for lunch and a few of us ate at La Petite Creperie among other places. Yum!

Here is a link that might be useful: IU3-day 2 (Monique's photos)

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

'bug, is this the silo picture you wanted?

{{gwi:148268}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Ooops, I forgot I had Monique take a picture of me in that pot...lol. I really liked those stepping stones that looked like sofa pillows too. It's a good thing I usually have to fly to these idyllunions or I'd be broke by the time I get home. If we decide to have it in the Philly area next year I will be driving. Better start saving now.

Sue

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

YES Michelle, that's the very one! Your DH has me working on a million dollar barn renovation! LOL!
    Anyway, wasn't that just so neat??? Love that place with its fabulous imaginative atmosphere.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

I have a couple more Northwind shots to share.

Can you see the little garden nymph hiding inside the shed?
    {{gwi:172041}}

I really loved the layout and presentation of garden plants at this place and the wonderful structures throughout the trails.
    {{gwi:172046}}

{{gwi:172049}}

{{gwi:172052}}

{{gwi:172054}}

Look how in sync these two are: )
    {{gwi:172055}}

V and DH politely humoring the cwazy photographer; )
    {{gwi:172057}}

I thought this was a cool shot of the impending cloud burst that happened just after I got the pic lol.

{{gwi:172059}}

Hope you enjoyed the show; )

~Babs

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

The cwazy photographer got a very nice pic of me - you can follow me around any time! Oops, scratch that, if you follow me all those pics will be bum shots!

V. (who has stolen the photo!)

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I haven't commented here on all the great pics...but I am enjoying them all! Thanks to all who are sharing, I know it is a lot of work.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

: )Glad you approve of your portrait,V! I don't think it's me that you need to worry about as far as following bums go...it's that Taryn chick we have to look out for LOL.(I might have an uncropped version if you'd like that too-and I have a second pose-I could email them to you)
    I just loved the backdrop of the sitting deck there...it would fit perfectly in my yard-I wonder how much that would cost to ship it if they were selling it....: )

Thanks for stopping in Marian!

~B