Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll #507 Lazin' through August

Posted by chelone (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 6:19

I always think of the old Kinks song at this time of year.
"My girlfriend's run off with my car and gone back to her Ma and Pa, tellin' tales of drunkenness and cruelty... lazin' on a sunny afternoon..."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll #507 Lazin' through August

Here in Ontario it is more frantic, like "My boyfriend's back and there's gonna be laundry..." because we're busy organizing things for holidays. But it is a beautiful morning out my window, though humid still. The birds are chirping and the jays are scolding. Yesterday there were nine "teen aged" ducks in the creek (which has risen with our rain) and Phoebe was very attentive to their activities! Reminded me of the old classic, Ping, who lived on the "wise-eyed boat on the Yangtze River".

Here is a link that might be useful: Ping

o

I remember that book! things have changed on the Yangtze in the years hence, huh?

o

Morning all, we've gotten rain two nights in a row and I'm breathing a sigh of relief. So very nice not to have to start watering at the crack of dawn,. I'm going to give the brugs a bit of food today. The biggies are setting buds and it's going to be a great show around here in a couple weeks. Bug, that's a great clem. I don't have much other than Arabella, Polish Spirit and Betty Corning left blooming now. After the IU8 trip I'm thinking of digging out a bunch of perennials and replacing with shrubs. So much less maintenance! More daylilies will be falling to my shovel very soon. LOL

Kathy, thanks for posting that link to the TV segment! I was so pleased with how that turned out.

Have a great day!
Deanne

o

Yes, the necessity of shrubs (the bullet-proof, easy care sort!) becomes manifest when one has a lot of area to fill. I have come to love the reliability of the hydrangeas, only a hard, late frost seems to really knock them for a loop, although the dry spell and that intense heat did them no favors! Interestingly, I've observed that as they've been in place some years now they seem to have acclimated and have bloomed for me without any winter protection. I'm trying to focus on using favorite perennials as accents that do their thing throughout the season. Easier said than done!
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Yesterday was devoted to clothing construction following the completion of a small job. Total so far: 2 blouses and one pair of slacks. Next up? prolly another blouse and perhaps another pair of shorts, and I think a dress may be in the offing, too. The key is to cut and get similar steps grouped together so efficiency is maximized. It will be a blockbuster session of buttonholing. ;)

Need to know what weekend Kathy will be in the neighborhood... please advise.

o

Zooming in from the awfice. The compound is looking splendid Chelone !

Transiting from Boston to NH Fri late afternoon the 19th.

Back to work...

o

Sadly, Kathy, I will miss you. "I'll be abroad". Not that I'm not already a broad, mind you...

Salute me with a bendy staw, won't you?

o

Good title for how I'm feeling in August, folks -- no energy! I seem to return from IU adventures with severe vacation hangover and fatigue, LOL. Despite it being an absolute treasure of a trip and being so "inspired" by so many things and plants we saw, the home letdown is a deep crevass....

Stella survived, but I think had some loneliness issues - as well she should and I feel some remorse not finding anyone who could stay in the house with her; the gardens did indeed fry - I think the 4 things I planted in the last month are all dead -- I should really have thought about that being away in 100 degree temps.... Digging out at the awfice is a Herculean feat.... well, this too shall pass. But much as I'd like to do some more garden reno it is indeed the wrong time and temps when one cannot coddle stuff as it acclimates.

It was a wonderful time as Deanne and Kathy have mentioned tho -Buffalo was so inspiring for community spirit, and the Rochester gardens were worth driving 8 hours for any day!! Lovely food and host family too -- neat to meet the chicks in person and folks one has read about too.

Michelle -- I'm so sorry to hear your vacation trip was so hot - it was pretty stinking hot and humid in NY too; what a terrible thing to happen to those bikers and your BIL and all... things so can change in just an instant.

Cyn, I hope you enjoy the rest of your free time before return to school - it's amazing how quickly summer flies by.

Chelone - interesting comments re reliable shrubs and hydrangeas -- I've got a bunch and they all wilt in the extreme heat in this area -- a couple are in extreme shade, dont flower and still wilt - go figure! It's so interesting how things flourish or not in different regions. The one private garden in Rochester that was a stunning collector garden, the owner broke so many "rules" re shade/placement, etc., that it was inspiring to see that one just really needs to place and experiment for what will work or not in your own soil and gardens. As a retired science teacher, he'd obviously come up with a few "tricks" - like throwing peat on a particular plant at the end of the year for a shot of nutrients and layer for winter.

Well, gotta do some Stella time -- enjoying some lazy nites for August.

--Cindy

o

Hydrangeas - I have a number of them. The ones that can't take the heat well for me are the macrophyllas. I have a 'Limelight' in full sun in my xeriscape garden. It does well.

Chelone, fabulous specimen. Is it a Pee Gee?

Deanne, how wonderful to get much needed rain. We really need some too. Not much hope in the forecast.

'bug, 'Blue Belle' sounds right. I think I do recall buying that one. I have Polish Spirit and the other one is much more dangly.

We did some painting tonight in the potting area. I have lots of painting to do this summer yet. My shed needs all the trim repainted. Not my favorite job.

Later

Michelle

o

About to blast off for work this morning. (would rather stay here).

Yes, Michelle, that's Hydrangea paniculata "PeeGee", proving that sometimes "tried and true" really does deliver the good effortlessly. It's been in place for 15 yrs. I'd say and was purchased as a standard. Hydrangeas near the red chairs are "Tokyo Delight" and Nikko Blue. It's never a bone chilling cold here as it is for you on the farm, we will bottom out at or just below zero, but late frosts are pose a threat to things that emerge from dormancy early. Nikko Blue is the toughest one for me. And yes, Cindy, they will wilt in blistering heat but seem to like their site which is considerably sunnier since the loss of part of the maple to an ice storm. I have no trouble whatsoever with "Annabelle" (except figuring out some sort of staking arrangement to keep the huge flowers from caving under the weight of rain!).

Finished a skirt yesterday, nixed the dress as too much thought for a day off. :)

OK, gotta get rolling.

o

I want to thank everyone for sharing all the pictures of gardens at home and away. They are always a nice break for me when I have time to sit and enjoy.
I am in the midst of summer clean up. I love all the June bloom but can't stand the dregs. I am thankful the temps have moderated somewhat. Now if we could just get some rain.

I didn't do many containers this year so less watering there but a lack of color now. Oh well there's always next year I guess. I will just enjoy looking at all of yours.

:) Norma

o

Look who joined Misty lazin' on the back porch today (and for the next 10 days..)

We got 1 1/2" of rain today!

o

Greetings friends..

'Fogust' has kicked in here- usually occurring closer to coast , but it appears we have marine influence at night and morning and temps not much over the mid to hi 70's for the next week. I'm ok with that !

Chelone I meant to mention , your specimen of PeeGee is truly magnificent. I moved mine last fall so it's in a re-establishment mode, but I think it's going to be much happier in the new home. Here is a photo from one of the Buffalo gardens with and entire row of non-flopping Annabelles . I think they must be cut back hard and the neighbor provides some support-closely planted they were as you can see. It was a very effective planting against the yellow house echoing the beautiful white woodwork.

From IU8 Buffalo

Ok, I'm going to put up some Rochester garden pics on a separate thread.

Kathy in Napa

o

They look as though they're old hands at the arrangement, Woody. It always cracks me up that Wrecks is such a barking fool at first, but then settles right into being a very generous host.

We're looking for more rain tomorrow and I'm not disappointed about it, in fact a steady rain all day long would be fine with me. We need it, the pond is very low. It's been sort of unsettled for about a week now, not terribly warm but very pleasant.

The Salon window boxes had a nasty case of thrips on the Osteospermum which put the kibosh on the flowers for a spell, but they seem to have been eradicted and the plants are starting to flower again. The new awning has shaded them but in a couple of weeks the sun will be low enough to sneak under it. Next year though, I'll have to rethink the planting... and get it done before mid-June! I planted those potato relative vines (can't recall the name) and the foolish thing has been flowering reliably. I was shocked as it's not noted for that unless its pot-bound, but it's really very pretty even though the blossoms are tucked under the leaves.

Time to hit the hay and call it a day.

o

Lucky you, Kathy -- temps going that low - o that it would happen again here in summer, LOL. We never saw a drop of all the rain they'd predicted yesterday, temps were "only" high of 93 and again today.... so it was back to slogging some hoses last nite....

Which, like you, Norma, I'd given up on much for containers this year -- I think I started out with 9 or 10 containers with groupings this year, probably at least 6 of them are pretty crispy critters now, with some remaining foliage plants in them.... I'd started rethinking containers last year, planted some sedums in some of them, and I think that may be the way I have to move towards -- succulent groupings of some sort that dont require much watering (or none at all of course).

I remember that house, Kathy -- it was simply but stately I thought. Re hydrangeas Annabelle is very reliable for me and I do cut it back severely to about 12" each year - it rebounds to about 6 feet in full sun -- by now, the blooms are going brown tho; it does some flopping but not too severely, but it needed a bit more water. The one paniculata I do have, Quick Fire, seems to withstand those high temps the best, just as you mentioned, Michelle.... I just don't have much room for more paniculatas, altho they are now producing some that are more "dwarf" (i.e., 3 to 4 feet... which is about my limit).

Sounds like you enjoy having canine houseguests, Woody -- that's a cute photo of both of them! Stella is settling a bit more back into the old routine - I think she was really freaked by my sudden absence of several days sadly, and the new food she was on seemed to be irritating her (or she'd developed some OCD biting behaviors -- either is a possibility), but she's more calm and getting back to her "normal"..... dogs definitely love routines (like most of us I think).

Well, another day/notch to put under my belt here at the awfice....it's "hump" day as we like to look forward to Wednesdays here...

Stay cool!

-Cindy

o

• Posted by jak1 4 Ontario Can (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 9:31

Good morning everyone! Cool, overcast, and the prospect of rain, at last. It has been three and a half weeks with no rain and high temps, and all is crispy. Amazing however, what one day of gentle rain can do! I have been thinking all week of the poor souls in Somalia, who don't have a drop.

After my last rant about the gardens, I booted myself outside and cleaned everything up. Looks almost the same *LOL* but I feel much better!

Hey Cindy, you were posting at the same time as I was this morning. Scrolled up to check the posts and yours came up as I was looking. Made me feel that a connection to you all is a real one - I picture you sitting right beside me pecking away.

Hydrangeas. I have four; one Endless Summer that is pink, large and beautiful; one small unnamed blue one which came in an Easter basket and is also reliable here; a climber which has been here for four years or so and which bloomed for the first time this year,much to my delight; and a standard that I believe is called something like RoseApple, something like a PeeGee but the blossoms are much redder and conical. That one is very showy and reliable for me and has given my small side garden a real boost for the last two years. I have a large Sun and Substance Hosta there too. Makes a potential shabby piece of property look great.

I planted a new clematis on the Spite fence this spring and it is blooming already. I lost my Sweet Autumn last year and this is a replacement. It is a c. Ligusticifolia. I kind of hope it turns out to be a thug, as I have a lot of fence. From the street I have Virginia Creeper, which I hope turns red just as the white clem is blooming.

I absolutely love the photos of Boston and Rochester. It is clear that I missed a spectacular show! So a big "Thanks" to all of you for stopping to take the photos and taking the time to share them with us. I also enjoyed Deanne's "show" and the link to COTW.

Chelone, the photos of the compound are super! You guys must have been working very hard the last two years on vegetable World especially...I love my flowers but at this time of year the veggie garden has my heart....

I hope you have a great family visit, Bug. The stress levels of dealing with Skyler's health must drive you all nuts. I hate to say it (Chelone) but I have missed the kiddie and dog photos lately, glad to see Phoebe is in the good company of Woody, Randy and Misty. One less concern while you are travelling, knowing how well she will be cared for.

Yay! Pouring rain!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Workload at the awfice is tottering under it's own weight. No way will I get all tasks completed before I'm off on my next travels. No help for it. One of the results of all the rifs and business turndown is that clerical staff is pretty much gone , and my cohorts and I who are supposedly professional buyers are spending half our days doing crapola like filing and data entry -the stuff we used to delegate to others. Whine.

Our cool weather is affecting the grape harvest-it will be 2 to 3 weeks late this year. The red varietals in particular need heat and there just hasn't been much. The longer harvest stretches out puts the fruit at risk of being rained on (not good this time of year) or even worse pushing the harvest time dangerously close to frost season.

Julie, I think it's time you coughed up a few photos of the spite fence , and other views of the Julie garden !This photo shoot needs to go on your JJ list !

Ok, nite all..

Kathy in Napa

o

Morning all, what a beautiful day we have on tap. I'm suposed to be painting but I don't think that's going to happen today. We had a small garden tour last evening for a couple who were on the Conservancy Open Days tour the same time we were. Nice folks and it was great fun sharing the gardens with fellow gardeners who 'get it'. I've finally caught up with my cleanup and deadheading after being gone for IU. It's amazing how much cleanup the perennial borders need this time of the year. Note to self, 'Get rid of more of the daylilies'.

Kathy, what a bummer that you've been forced to do clerical stuff... I'd be cranky about that. that's bad news about the grape harvest. Does that mean this is going to be a bad year for reds?

Cindy, what a bummer about your toasted containers. I know that after that three day stretch we had over 100 degrees the pots were not one little bit happy and in fact the plants in the dark pots were suffering. Succulents in pots sounds like a good idea for your area or what about colocasias in a water filled pot?

Chelone, things are looking great at the compound this year.

Julie, I agree that pics of the fence are in order...

OK waving hello to one and all, I've got to get outside and enjoy this beauitiful morning. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

o

Evening Idylls-I see it's one of those mid-week slow news days here. Isn't it interesting how many old threads have been bumped up by spammers in the last month or so ? I�ve enjoyed reading them, but it's been bittersweet too, lots of folks we don�t see here much anymore , though many are active on FB.

My big plant observation of the day concerns Clematis Rooguchi ..ooo-eee, what a winner !I think I bought mine in May, in a 5G container. Full bloom , and that full bloom continued til a couple weeks ago. I figured it was a done deal. Last night on watering patrol I saw that there were dozens of new buds forming-it hardly skipped a beat ! My only problem if figuring out where it's permanent location will be.

Deanne. we Napa Valley folk are never supposed to utter negative harvest info, lol. I think we won�t really know until the fruit is in-weather is fickle and variable. I�ll be sure and let you know if you should avoid vintage 2011 !

Nighty night folks.. I�m trying to inch into the eastern time zone in the next few days. Going to get up a half hour earlier tomorrow,and Sat , another � on Sun.

Waves !

Kathy in Napa

o

Morning folks, what a beautiful day we had here yesterday! high 70's, breezy and partly cloudy. Gorgeous! I so wish you could all come by for a visit, the gardens are looking so pretty now. This is the time of the year where I'm so happy I've got the containers because they really shine in August and September. The tropical container border is so lush and full.

The west container garden....

We've had a lot of hummingbirds in the gardens this year too. I'm supposed to be painting this week but have been lured out into the gardens.... Maybe next Monday when it is supposed to be raining. I'm posting a link to a photo gallery from the gardens here I took a few days ago. Thought you might want a bit of eye candy...

Kathy, good plan to get on EST before your trip. You are going to have a busy weekend....LOL ~~~ You need to post a pic of that Roguchi? I'm always on board with a heavy blooming clematis.

have a great day all!
Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Gardens

o

Happy Friday all -- oollaalaa to echo, Kathy -- Deanne, those are incredible photos -- the containers gardens are just awesome. I do see why you love them so much -- so much color for this time of the year!

Kathy, my Rooguchi has done well this year - I think it's about 4 years old and I've noticed it's rebloomed a couple times; the first time stopped when we hit those early 100 degree days -- I noticed that most of my clems seem to halt if there is prolonged high high temps - of course that could have to something to do with lack of watering -- I have such a hard time keeping up when it's that hot for that often. I did see that a few clems had some rebloom starting, but I was bad at watering this week.

Sadly, in a quick look last nite I noticed that despite heavily watering all borders last thurs, with some rain on Friday nite and then more heavy watering Monday, by last nite (Thursday) stuff was looking horrid again -- the temps were in the 90s for most of the week - just yesterday it it go a bit lower..... so I was up before dawn dragging some hoses - in my nitegown no less. Maybe I need to mulch more heavily too - I don't put a lot down in summer, as too often things rot out if I do or grow the bizarre fungus miracles.

Despite my belated guilt at pulling the hoses out again, I'm afraid I've likely lost a bunch of stuff that I'd planted this spring, including some conifers and shrubs - my own fault for not being a vigilante on watering -- I'm going to have to figure out who to hire to water for summer vacations next year, I guess.

The forecast is for some storms and showers this weekend - cross your fingers, as so far their predictions haven't come to much....

We have the same issues at my firm, Kathy, with too much work for too few persons and not enough hours to do it all in... a lot of the mundane stuff just gets thrown in a corner somewhere, LOL....

Well, we're want you energized for your roving reporter duties, Kathy, in between your real work travel! Looking forward to seeing some more great photos and hearing of your travels.

-cindy

o

Lots of pink and red in those containers to attract Hummingbirds, Deanne. I see them hovering around the red "germamyums" in the Salon window boxes, too. Amazing little creatures. The window boxes on the house are just dreadful; pathetic Impatiens that are clinging to life do not greatly add a "lush" note to the grounds! They weren't even planted until mid-June. Next year I'll have to be more "on the stick" because I quite agree with Deanne about the delight containers and window boxes provide when high summer arrives. I miss the pretty site outside the living room windows.

We're fortunate, one of the blessings of a relatively low lot and shade is that watering is not usually required. On that note, however, I will say that whenever we've planted shrubs we've watered them regularly and deeply at least once a week up through hard frost and the next year we will water regularly, too if rainfall is not regular. I think that really makes a difference in how well they acclimate to a given site. I've also noticed that it seems to take them a year in situ before they really start putting on real growth. I imagine the hard clay soil you likely have, Cindy, creates a fine line between enough and too much water.

It is a beautiful day today. I'm working on a blouse to match a skirt and after that I will make a foray out into that crazy world beyond the boundries of the Compound. I have a list of things to get done and I want to get home before the weekend warriors begin rolling into town.

Do you know I don't have a functional wrist watch? I have a few of them (all with dead batteries) so I have to address that before departing. (I think that's pretty funny).

At present the helpmeet is setting the fence posts that will form the boundry of the gahden along the hedge. We have set wooden posts at the corners and along the long spans. The fencing itself is nothing more than green dog fencing, which is inexpensive, relatively simple to install, effective and virtually disappears in the growing season. This allows the fence to recede and encourages long "vistas" that are uninterrupted by fencing. We opted for rails along the driveway side only, to highlight the line of the driveway and direct the eye to the gahden itself. There will be a 6' wide path between the fence and the hedge so one may walk around the gahden and the hedge may be easily trimmed. One of the overarching precepts of what we've tried to do here is lay the grounds out so that there are interesting places to walk with the dog and the cats. The property is not large but there is wonderful natural diversity here and paths allow us to see, experience, and enjoy it. Ideally, I would like it to be comfortably accessible for those with physical limitations, but that takes a lot of time. The progress we have made is gratifying. We love that visitors are drawn to Vegetable World.

o

This will be a busy weekend, involving pre-trip laundry , opening of the staging area (yet another pile of electronics) and watering. I shudder to think what my garden is going to look like when I get home from the journey, but I'm already mentally preparing for garden season 2012-I have a notebook full of instructions to myself. First order of business is the Daylily edit..like Deanne and Eden I'm keeping only those that I really like . So if things look too crummy when I get home I can move right into the demolition phase.

I haven't worn a watch for ages Chelone, I get the time off my phone or the computer when I'm at the awfice , and my house is full of clocks. When I travel I consult my phone. I have several abandoned in a drawer. I wore them all the time for years.

Deanne, can�t wait to stand in front of that container border ! And the driveway garden ! etc.. Herer is the only decent photo I have of Rooguchi -it's sprawler and I have seen it used to great effect training over a stone wall. It would look awesome that way in your terraces.

From Garden Summer 2011

Laundry calls..later friends.

Kathy in Napa

o

I have to address laundry today, too, Kathy. But right now I have 20 buttonholes to make and 20 buttons to afix to assorted garments. That should keep me nicely occupied until the stores open and I will be able to attend to a few remaining things.

A quick look out the window to my right (the cat balcony is there) revealed a dead vole with intestine oozing out a wound. He was quite stiff, so he must've been delivered while I was working last night. Good thing the window was closed, huh? :)

OK, well the buttonholes aren't going to sew themselves.

o

Thanks for that pic Kathy, I think I need that one. I'm going to cage any future clems so the voles don't kill them off in a season or two.

Chelone, sure wish you lived closer. I HATE sewing on buttons. I'd be happy to pay someone for that job...

Deanne

Off to water the hordes of containers... rain is supposedly on the way for tomorrow and Monday.

Have a great day all,,,

o

We have had such a lovely week here with cooler temps. Rick helped me one evening and I'm relatively caught up on the weeds and deadheading. I think I will have to take Deanne's idea and get rid of some daylilies. I don't think I really have that many but the deadheading kills me.

I have immensely enjoyed the Buffalo pictures and really regret not going this year. I love cool houses and put together with gardens is just the coolest thing. That is actually the reason I got into gardening was that our house is so extremely plain. Of course I never dreamed it would get to this extreme.

Deanne, I still have your album open on my computer and look through it a bit each day. Thanks for sharing those pictures. The pink area of your border is so vibrant. The yellow area is just as fabulous.

Chelone, I have a couple of PeeGees but they have never gotten over about 4'.

I bought one of the Pink Annabelle hydrangeas this spring. I do love hydrangeas. The Nikko Blues, Endless Summers and Blushing Bride all bloom much better for me if I bend the branches down and pin them down with staples or rocks for the winter. That does get a bit old in the fall though. Although, one of the Blushing Brides is gorgeous this summer. Some of those may go one day.

This weekend's arrangement was hydrangea 'Limelight' along with Purple Prince zinnias. Limelight is a real trooper. I have it in my zerescape garden.

Cindy, I have Quick Fire and it is my favorite. I like the way it blooms so early and then blooms slowly change color. Sorry your garden is so stressed. I try to remember what I planted each spring and try to water them regularly throughout their first summer.

Kathy, its no fun being short staffed at work. Believe me I know. I have to say our latest hire seems to be doing well with the work which makes my load so much easier. I do have a few issues with her being a tiny bit of a drama queen but nothing like the one I named DQ. This one I can handle.

Kenzie just left after spending the weekend. We played bat and ball which is new for her and she thinks its so much fun. We also went to a nature area just down the road from our place. We checked out the nature center, had a picnic and walked part of the prairie. Yesterday we went to the local summer celebration in town for the parade. She came home with lots of candy. I usually get up early on Saturdays and make a fairly large arrangement for our church. She woke up and came out to the garden shed and decided she would like to arrange flowers. She picked out a small container, I put some oasis in it and she picked and arranged the flowers. She decided she was playing florist shop. She was so excited to pick vegetables. Into the weekend menu we fit green beans, egg plant, roasted beets, summer squash, carrots, onion, tomatoes and kohlrabi. She tried and liked them all.

Since we haven't had rain for a month except a mere 1/2" the other night I decided to start moving the sprinkler around. Not that things are looking bad, I just don't want to start going down hill yet. Kenzie had fun getting wet while it watered the patio garden and I sat with a glass of wine. It doesn't get any better than that on a lazy August evening.

As for containers, most are doing quite well. I did have a large fuchsia that I've had for several years just croak recently. Not sure what was with that. I tried to put white alyssum in the sink last year and this year along with some pretty dishes for the soap bubble effect. I'm thinking its too shallow. I think I'll have to go back to succulents next year. Although, I had a hard time finding much for succulents this year.

I must get going as we are going to a concert in the park that is part of the town's summer celebration. It will be a lovely evening for it.

Michelle

o

Buffalo was sure a pleasant surprise to me Michelle-I'm not exactly sure what I expected. They've created quite a vibrant gardening community there-it may not be the 'cutting edge' stuff you might see in the PNW , but GardenWalk was the culmination of a about a month of gardening events all over the area. They are pioneering this National Garden Festival (patterned after the National Gardening Scheme in England) and there are tours, seminars etc to go along with it.

Staging area is open, laundry and watering almost done. I'll be off and away Tuesday morn, and will be meeting V for breakfast Wednesday morning.

Later friends..

Kathy in Napa

o

Evening all, we just spent a great day down in Stonington, CT with Sue at her summer cottage and Monique and Les were there as well. Lots of fun and laughs as always with my garden buddies.

Kathy, I totally agree with you that Buffalo was a surprise. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did but the wonderful homes and great use of space was such fun to see. ~~ So you are going to meet V on Wednesday? Why don't you bring her along to the East coast with you? LOL

Michelle, I really enjoyed reading your post tonight. It sounds like you had a great weekend with Kenzie. I smiled at her enjoying picking the veggies and playing in the sprinkler. Sounds like you are a fun grandma to have. ~~ sorry to hear about your fuchsia! What a bummer. I've found that some of my older specimens aren't doing as well this year as they have in the past and I think I need to start some new ones or give them a major root pruning this fall. I definitely need to get cuttings of Christina and SunRay as they are really hard to find and I love those varieties. ~~ So happy you are enjoying the pics! It makes me happy when I can share the gardens with fellow gardeners who get it!

OK time to think about getting ready for bed. I'm tired after the long drive and have a busy week coming up.

Night all!
Deanne

o

Deanne, I just finishing touring your garden - WOW! It's just all so amazing. All your dedication really shows. I would love to walk it with you. I would have a million questions for sure.

Michelle

o

Golly, are we into another week of August already? This year is just flying by it seems to me - maybe my memory is just losing it - I know it does as we age.... seems like I was just talking about rain in April....

We finally got a small amount of rain in this region - some folks got 5 inches others (like me) less than 2 - but it helped a bit.

Michelle, it sounds like you had a marvelous Kenzie visit -- I think a farm is probably an idyllic place for grandchildren to visit -- and yet such a wonderful learning experience for life. For all the severe weather you got, your gardens have become so lush -- and your eye for creating such complex borders is really a treat. It's such fun to see things like that evolve, grow, and change.

And for sheer drama, we have your borders and container borders, Deanne! I can't wait to see what you do with a new project like the front shrub border!

Last weekend was a busy one - I babysat for Isla for the day on Saturday so her parents could get some quality painting of their living room done - they've got a First birthday party planned for her next weekend, and have had the room taped for 3 months but no paint, LOL -- a little lesson to them on how time-consuming babies really are - I think her Dad had no idea. Then I had my stock club work to prep for the meeting on Sunday which was hours of prep work, 3 hours of meeting and geez, here we are back at the work week. No wonder time is flying by!

I am also in agreement that Buffalo was a neat, and as usual, very different garden spot -- it gives an entirely new perspective on what a community can do by some spirit and interest in fostering nature and beauty into its midst. I'm sure with their promotion of the Garden Month, they will bring some great tourism back into their area too.

Kathy -- enjoy your business trip - glad you're mixing business with pleasure! Say hi to V for us and then onward East -- Hope for easy travels and weather for you.

-Cindy

o

Bet I've stayed in this hotel at least 10 times..think I only had a view once..here is what I saw out my window earlier tonight.

From 2011-08-16

From 2011-08-16

Breakfast with V in the morning !

o

Lots of lazin' going on here on the back porch this morning:

Phoebe and Liam are getting along fine. Phoebe is surprisingly shy when meeting other dogs of a reasonable size. With small dogs she's the eager one, but with larger dogs she is careful to stay out of their 'personal space' until they are well acquainted. She's encountered Zoe three times in the past two days so she's now more relaxed with Zoe. She was skittish around Liam when he first arrived this morning but she's now fairly relaxed. (That picture was taken shortly after Liam arrived and you can see that Phoebe was careful not to crowd him by laying too close...)

It's too bad the Blue is away at the cottage while Phoebe is here. I'd like to introduce them to each other. Since Blue and Liam are our most regular visitors, it's good to have other guest-dogs meet them so overlaps in visit schedules aren't a problem. Blue can be iffy with other dogs if he perceives them as too pushy. From what we've seen of Phoebe's approach to new dogs, I think Blue would get along with her quite well.

When Phoebe was a puppy and 'teenager' she was quite rowdy at times with people and other dogs. She's matured into a calm and sensible dog. gb was worried about her walking-on-leash skills. She didn't have to worry about it - after the first two days, Randy stopped using that halter thing and just attaches the leash to her regular collar. She walks fine for him that way.

o

That is a marvelous "lazy summer day" picture, Woody. I see Misty is making it quite clear who really belongs! :)

Nice view Kathy. Hope the trip is even etter than you expect.

Michelle, your weekend sounds just delightful. What a joy Kenzie seems.

Still weeding here. Cindy, we also missed the heavy rain. I keep hoping for evening storms, but so far no luck.

I cannot believe that Isla is one already! Where are the pics of her toddling around your garden with Chloe? Funny about the taping and painting.

Well, I was absolutely loving the new black chain link fence. Bought some evergreens to put in the back of a border and planned to buy the rest in the fall (couldn't pass up the 30% off at Behnke's when I went to "just look!" Today, the new neighbors put up a solid wood fence on their side. I am so sad. Trying to be very zen about it as there is nothing I can do, but it was so nice to have the open feel of the other fence. I really expected them to end up realizing that they wouldn't even see it. In fact, I suspect with the trees they planted already they really couldn't see it. Oh well. Now, I wish we had left the board on board-it was nicer than what they put up and they put the backside toward us-which our other neighbors did too several years ago-very odd. It also looks as if it may be higher than the six foot limit, but it is hard to tell on the hill. It is higher than our 6 ft. fence, but we are on the downslope a little. Obviously, I am not being very good about letting it go. Deep breath in...deep breath out...

Maybe doing a little exercise with my weights will help.

Catch you all later. Waving and smiling.

o

Cyn, good neighbors are worth their weight in gold. Sorry you can't have neighbors like those in Buffalo where they seem to have a similar goal for their neighborhood.

Kathy, that is a wonderful view! How nice that you and V could have a mini IU.

Cindy, where did the last year go? Is Isla starting to walk or try? I would love to see some recent pictures. I'm sure there will be a camera or 2 at the party.

I've been walating and taking notes about what needs to be changed in the gardens, I've collected a few seeds and the hummingbirds are back. All signs that we are over the hump and the gardening season will soon wind down.

Michelle

o

Flight delays brought me into Boston after dark, but I believe my view looks out to the harbor here ! Won't know til I get up in the morning.Today before my breakfast with V I hoofed over to Lurie Garden (my hotel was close) and took about 150 photos there. The light was way better than any other of my visits there.I will be posting photos at some point, but have a busy day tomorrow and a business dinner as well,and on Fri late afternoon I hit the road to Deanne's.

Love that photo Woody !

Kathy in Boston

o

Morning all,

Oh Michelle, say it isn't so?! I'm not ready for this gardening year to be done. I'm still having a ball in the gardens this year and not ready to see it go.

Kathy, I seriously can't wait for your visit! Safe travels my friend. I sent an email with directions etc.

Cyn, What a lousy thing about the fence... I feel your pain. My two abutters are not nice people and the one on the right is a renter so there is always a serious mess there... Sigh.... Sure wish I had a gardener next door.

Love the pic of Woody and the puppies! great shot

Cindy, can't believe Isla is a year old already! Good heavens where does the time go? I can't believe we are already into the third week of August... As Michelle said, September and the first frosts is right around the corner.

OK must run and make progress on getting the house cleaned up for my special guest this weekend.

Deanne

o

Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 8:54

Well, I have a gardener next door and she did exactly what Cyn's neighbour did, put up a solid wood fence a foot away from our black chain link fence. We refer to it as the Spite Fence, as that is exactly what it is. This means that there is a one foot he** strip between the two fences where weeds grow with abandon and can only be seen from our side. We chose to cover about half the length with Virginia Creeper and are slowly establishing clematis on the other half. We also planted daylillies the whole length so we don't have to look at the cr*p. I hammered in edging along the base of the chain link and filled in behind it with cement dust - keeps the stuff from growing through. It has been a struggle, but it looks good now. Whew! I feel better.

Michelle, I too have been contemplating garden changes for next year. I completed most of the changes I wanted in the front this week, only about 5 hours worth of work, but still want to hack off the Variegated Weigalia to give Endless Summer some more space. Don't want to do that yet as the W. is about to give us a second round of bloom.

My biggest issue is going to be how we manage Mr. Banana. It is absolutely huge, with fifteen very large healthy leaves. It just loves the front patio. I wintered it over in the dining area last year, but I don't know about this year. I may contact some local nurseries to see if they will keep it over for me.

What a nice relaxing photo Woody! Everybody looks so calm and peaceful. The dogs pickup on you quiet energy I guess, and you have a great undersgtanding of the dynamics between them. You amaze me.

Kathy, you sure do gat around. And you seem to have friends everywhere. It is so nice that you and Marlene got together! Looks and sounds like a great time.

I am going to try to clean up this house today. The JulieJob is as Kathy suggested: I am taking the photos off of the camera and onto the laptop. Then I will investigate saving them to a site that will allow me to post some here. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Kathy - it sounds like you have a fun job :-) Travelling around the country on garden business, visiting with friends along the way...

Julie - we definitely need to see some photos from you :-) I'm curious about how the 'spite fence' garden is developing... The 'concrete dust' sounds like a reasonable solution to that weed strip between the fences. Will the 'dust' solifify into a concrete strip eventually?

We are lucky on the neighbour issue. All the fences here are chainlink, aside from a strip along the patio of the neighbour on the south side. The neighbour to the north is an active gardener and we regularly chat across the fence and trade plants. The neighbours to the south are elderly and I worry about what will happen there when they inevitably sell. It's undoubtedly going to be a teardown with a huge new home to replace it. That will most likely mean an ugly big fence and the loss of a lot of light in the garden - including loss of light to the swag area. So it's possible the swag wouldn't long survive the sale of the neighbours' house :-( I hope they live a long time! There are two neighbours behind us since the lots behind us aren't lined up exactly with the lots on this side. Both of them largely have abandoned the back part of their properties so there's nothing back there but trees and shrubs - which suits me fine! Both have nice dogs that socialize with Misty - and us - through the fence.

Phoebe now sems totally comfortable being close to Liam. Sleeping 6' away from him all night in the bedroom helps a lot with bonding. She was also very nonchalant with Zoe this morning. So all is mellow on the dog front here :-)

o

Happy Friday - and along with that came much desired rain here last nite - altho heavy at times, it was wonderful to feel things were getting a soaking - another one due this afternoon. Whew - no more hose slogging for the foreseeable future. Altho I do see some signs that summer is on the wane, it has been nice to see a few things reviving and pushing out some blooms; altho so much is fried (and requires me to set some time for SPing or cleaning up at least).

Love those photos of the lazy summer porch days with the dawgs, Woody -- Phoebe and Stella sound somewhat alike -- Stella is quite hesitant around new stranger dogs, altho she never met a human she wasnt wild to meet, greet, and roll over for.... Stella has definitely had some fall-out from my vacation tho - a bunch of new behaviors, and sounds eminating from her -- I'm hoping they will eventually fade as the memory fades re my temporary abandonment of her --

Poor Isla has been pretty sick all week too - she ended up at the Emergency Room Monday nite with an extremely high fever after she'd been suffering from a bunch of seemingly little viruses and had visited the doctor's ofc earlier in the day - turns out she has a urinary tract infection and a bad one - something that is more serious in infants than adults -- who knew.... apparently not even the pediatrician! She seems to be doing a bit better now but hopefully will be much much better by her birthday next Monday - I think we're still doing the little party for her this weekend.

I hope Kathy is having some fun along with the transatlantic travel rush -- I'm sure it's hard to be in city to city, hotel after hotel -- but you'll have some fun and R&R and garden talk this weekend!

I'm sorry to hear about your bad neighbor, Cyn -- so trying. I noticed that the renter next to me has been gone all week and left his windows open -- we've had the heavy rains last nite - I keep wondering what moldy fungus is likely to be now growing in the wonderful wet humid rooms he's left to get all wet.... I'm sure ignorance is bliss on my part as to what condition their walls are in...

Looking forward to some garden cleanup hopefully this weekend and the little party for the girl turning one - I will try to get a few photos to share.

--Cindy

o

Two cute Phoebe stories...

Phoebe has taken an aversion to going down the back porch stairs. The treads are fairly narrow and the stairs are steep. She doesn't mind going up them but doesn't like going down them, particularly in the dark or at dusk (which makes me wonder if she's having trouble with her vision...) She loves the lift though, so now she tends to go out on the back porch, run over to the lift gate, and turn to look back at me beseechingly... :-) So I've been ferrying her down - and often up too - on the lift for the past couple of days! Liam thinks the lift is an amusement park ride especially for him so he always wants to go on it too; Misty expects to ride the lift whenever I do... So it's been a bit crowded these days with three dogs, the walker and me!

Phoebe is a bit jealous of Liam I think. She clearly got a bit miffed Wednesday night when she realized that Liam's sleeping spot was a blanket on the floor by the bed, underneath where Misty was sleeping on the foot of the bed. Phoebe's big, comfy bed is in the L where the bathroom wall and the closet meet. It's about 6-8' away from the side of the bed. She clearly thought it was unfair that Liam got to sleep closer to the bed than she did! Everytime I went into the bedroom yesterday, Phoebe was sleeping on Liam's blankek by the bed! When we went to bed last night, Phoebe plopped down on Liam's blanket. Liam was reluctant to invade Phoebe's bed, so I made another nest for him of towels on the floor by the closet, about 1' away from Phoebe. He settled down happily there. About 3:30a.m. Misty woke me up, asking to go outdoors. When we came back to bed, Phoebe had retired to her bed in the corner and Liam got to reclaim his blanket. Phoebe wanted out at 6:00a.m. and when they all came back from that outing, Phoebe retook Liam's blanket and Liam went back to his towel nest!

Other than that polite jockeying for sleeping-den positioning, they're getting along great. Liam keeps asking her to play with him; she does a little but hasn't engaged in a full-blown chase game, which is what Liam really wants.

o

Cindy, I'm so Happy you got some rain. We had a little last night too. I sure hope Isla feels better soon, and can enjoy her birthday party. Hard to believe she will be one already.

Woody , I love your dog tales. You sure are a great dog sitter.

o

Home again...but need sleep before meting up with Phoebe tomorrow and a meal with Randy & Woody. I am surrounded by our 3 cats.

Will check out the gardens in the morning. I saw that our Vitex is in bloom which is a treat.

'bug

o

Welcome back gb! I'm sure Phoebe wil be happy to be home again later today but I think she'll miss her budies here too. This is a picture of the pack from morning walkies today:

o

Hi Phoebe and friends! Things are very quiet here without you! :(

No dog photos yet, no clematis any more here either. So this is what I'll share with you for now.

I'd love it if you'd take a peek at the site below with updates from DS. There will be more excitement soon as well!

Here is a link that might be useful: 500 laptops!

o

Phoebe was happy to arrive home to her 'mommy' and 'daddy' but she'll be missed by her friends down here. This picture was from afternoon walkies just before we took her home: (oops, I decapitated Randy :- )

o

Good morning Idylls ! Still in NH this morning at Casa Fortnam, and we are off to Tower Hill and a visit with Saucy later this morning. I am hoping to put up some photos when I am in my hotel digs this evening, and then it's back home travel day.

Welcome home to bug and gang, and we had a brief update from Chelone on FB from across the pond !

Cheerio..

o

I always know that summer is starting to wind down when the viburnum berries turn red! But the red and white that starts happening around that section of the front garden provides some compensation. We just came back from taking Misty and Liam for a nice, cool walk by the lake and we took this is a picture taken from the top of the driveway, looking along the side of the garage past the arbour when we got home:

o

Woody, I giggled and giggled about the lift and the sleeping arrangements! Too funny. Love the picture of your "Dog Whisperer" out with his pack. I am definitely not ready to see those berries turning red-glad we are behind you in that!

Cindy, poor Isla. UTIs are so miserable, can't imagine what it would be like for a baby! Hope she is all recovered and ready to be one!

Kathy, lucky you. I miss the days when I would be able to go to NH every August to pick DS up from camp. I know you and Deanne and Saucy will be laughing like crazy when you are together. Just think, an opportunity for more bendy straw fun! :)

'bug, Ivy really does look more and more like her mom, don't you think? Thanks for the link to DS-what an amazing experience for him. You must be terribly proud!

It has cooled down a little here and the humidity has dropped some. I bought a pin oak for 50% off last week. SO excited, but not sure I really have any place to put it. Well, I do have places, but not sure where would be best. It is about 10-12 feet tall-I am so excited and I paid only $60 for it! I love planting things that will outlast us all!

So, tomorrow will be planting day. I want to put in the two crepe myrtles I bought, the oak, the taxus and the three euonymous. There are some more shrubs that I need to put in the ground as well. That should start my creation of a backyard from which no neighbors are visible!

Time to check the bicycle race out in Colorado. Chuck is excited because so many international racers are there including Cadel Evans and the Schleck brothers. Fun.

Pushing off-wishing everyone a day of downhill rides with the wind at your backs!

Cynthia

o

Hola my friends,

Back home again after a day of travel and I�m trying to wind down some . What a fun weekend I had in New England with my Idyll peeps ! I took an ungodly amount of photos (of varying quality, lol) but as luck would have it the light was good in the mornings at Deannes -we were both out in her gardens clicking away with our cameras. Also visited Sue, Les and Monique and Saucy.. Not bad for a weekend trip huh? Bet I�m going to feel the effects tomorrow.

Yesterday Deanne, Doug and I drove from NH to Tower Hill and Saucy met us there. After our visit there we drove the short distance to Saucys and she served us a fabu lunch al fresco. The photos barely do her deck garden justice, it is really quite wonderful.

So without further ado, Here is the deck, the lunch, and a couple shots from Tower Hill..

This deck garden is jaw-dropping in person, wish every one of you could see it. Deanne and I needed extra napkins to wipe up the drool..

From 2011-08-21

From 2011-08-21

Isn't this a pretty lunch ? The dressing was a fig vinaigrette..ooo la la !

From 2011-08-21

I'll be putting up more photos of Tower Hill, their container plantings are really spectacular.They have some new areas too, so I have an excuse to go back in a couple years to see everything filled in :-)).This is really a wonderful botanical garden, and Saucy is lucky to live so close to it.

From 2011-08-21

This was an eye-popping combo !

From 2011-08-21

This was one of our favorite groupings, the sun was pretty strong so the photo didn't come out so great.Deanne showed me some things so hopefully I can manipulate these a bit to make them look like they did 'in person'

From 2011-08-21

All for tonight ...waves to all !

Kathy, back in Napa

o

Oh Saucy! The hints of blue matching the house are so...wonderful! The containers themselves are lovely! Your lunch presentation makes me want to gobble it up for breakfast right now! Thanks Kathy!!! (My punctuation reminds me of Ei, a certain someone who has been among the missing here.)

We are finally getting tomatoes and basil and kale from our garden here. I mowed a bit yesterday and hope to accomplish something today.

The morning began with gunshots. I hate that... Makes me nervous for Phoebe. She has been lazy since her welcome home though and sticks close to the porch...except for walks and one escapade with a squirrel which DH thought was doomed, but no, it survived.

I have been busy working with DS on a new Haitian venture involving a school. I'll tell more when I know more, but he has several talented friends who will be working with him there in Sept/Oct. I am to gather up some materials for him to carry down there. He knows exactly what is needed, I can only guess so far. DH & I may visit in early/mid December - and need a dog sitter. ;) We are likely helping him with a bicycle project as well.

Cynthia, I think Ivy resembles my older sister as a child in many ways: temper, brains, stubbornness as well as looks. A few years ago we planted a Pin Oak here in a friend's memory. It is in an awkward spot not far from our creek. It is slightly taller (so slow!) but alive. I hope yours does well. My Red Fox Katsura does much better so far. I'm pleased with it.

On with this sunny day!
'bug

Shopping with Mom

o

Kathy/Saucy - that deck garden looks wonderful!

gb - when you have some definitive dates for December, let us know...

It was nice and cool here yesterday so I was able to do some work in the front garden - there was an appalling number of weeds hiding in there! I need another cool day to get the rest. Today is supposed to get quite warm so the weeds likely won't get yanked today.

I've also been working on doing a garden plan for a lady Randy used to work with. The student license I have for the CAD software from the course I took this past winter runs out in December. I haven't done any playing with it since this spring - and I've forgotten a lot of things - the help manual has been much in use this past week :-) Her garden just needed some refining of layout and plantings to add some impact. Most of the time I've spent working on it has been time spent battling with the program to make it do what I want it to. I'm definitely still at the point where it would be faster to do it by hand - I wonder how long it takes someone to get to the point where it is faster to use the program? I suspect, though, that I might just be unusually inept at it! :-) I woud definitely not want to do this sort of thing commercially!

o

HI all, what a wonderful weekend we had with Kathy! fantastic visit with the 'energizer bunny'! LOL she is indefatigable.... As Kathy said we garden toured and talked plant talk and did more than seemed possible to do in a weekend, not to mention had some memorable meals and had some of the good wine as well. As Katy said, Saucy's deck garden is out of this world and into the next.

Kathy, I miss your company, you live way to far my friend! Your pics of Saucy's are wonderful.... Your photography just keeps getting better and better all the time....

Hello to Woody and Bug, glad Phoebe is home and all is well. ~~ Woody, re the cad software, I'd tend to do it by hand rather than use a program. I'm partial to pencils and brushes. LOL

I thought I'd share a pic of the tropical border with you. My brugmansias are so doing their thing at the moment and I wait all year for this.

OK time to think about getting some dinner here. Have a great evening all

Deanne

o

Kathy I love that combo in the next to the last picture. I will have to try that one some time.
So glad you had a great weekend with some of the Idylls.
I enjoy all of your pictures.

GB, sweet photo of Leo and mommy. I hope you will share more from your trip.

Woody, I hear you with the weeds. I'm right there with you. Today was to hot for me and it sounds like tomorrow will be as well. Then cool down again. I'm amazed how much more I can do on a cool day.

The Idylls have been a traveling bunch lately. We have been nowhere lately, but I always start to get wanderlust this time of year.

o
RE: Idyll #507 Brugs

Deanne , those brugs are huge and beautiful.

o

I have Idyll separation anxiety, lol. I guess I better start counting down to IU9 ! There are a couple scenarios floating around out there, and this weekend I think I'll send out an e-mail with some of the possibilities.. It would be prudent to set dates asap .

We are finally getting some heat here ! I can do without it, but the local economy is dependent on wine and some of the varietals need heat to ripen properly. I went from freezing my a** off waiting for the shuttle at SFO last evening to cranking up the A/C tonight. Go figure.

Shucks Deanne, isn't that true how the miles separate us ! We had fun didn't we ? And you and Doug are model hosts IMHO..by the way, I'm going to load the demo version of Lightroom on my laptop this week and fiddle around with it.Thank you very much for the encouragement, and advice.

Norma we all put the brakes on when we walked up to the bed with that combo in it. Really stunning.

'bug, what kind of weather did you have for your trip ? Sweet pic of DS and Leo..Arabella and Rooguchi still bloom on here.

No more for tonight. I have my desktop working in the next room downloading the photos from the trip, and I think I will try to put together a slide show in Picasa and put a link up here.

Waves to all !

Kathy in Napa

PS another update from Chelone on FB, involving theater in London..I hope she took her camera on this trip !

o

It's a struggle to find Idyll time these days! I am getting lots of hours in at work, though ;)

I was thrilled to have Idylls in the garden! I love the pictures that both Kathy and Deanne took. I get to see my garden with new perspective.

I'm up this morning to wish Deanne a very happy birthday:

o

o

Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 8:59

In your honour, Deanne - Mr. Banana. Thanks for the inspiration and Happy Birthday!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Happy birthday Deanne!

From Drop Box

o

o

Happy Birthday, Deanne!

-Cindy

o

Sounds like the hurricane may be heading up to New England after it passes us. Maybe I shouldn't have been wishing so hard for rain-I may have over done it!

o

We have tornado warnings for early evening. Hope my computer doesn't fly....

o

From IU8 Buffalo

Hoping your day was totally fabu-fabu !

o

Tornado warning here too gb - it just moved from a yellow warning to a red one! Shutting down now...

o

o

o
Happy Birthday Deanne

Photobucket must be having a problem. I posted twice for your birthday Deanne, I see it when I preview but when I post its gone. Not to be defeated I hope this shows for you. Happy Birthday - I hope you had a fabulous day! I suppose tomorrow there will be three pictures.

o

I love birthdays here. The garden shots are just so wonderful!

I've not worked in the garden much these days but last night I hoiked 2 large Stella d'oro. They remain from my early gardening days. We will be gone a bit on a vacation but I plan to do some serious moving this fall. I've gotten to the point where I don�t think I will start any new areas but work on tweaking the ones I have. Which could use a great deal of tweaking. I have a gardening rule that I mostly live by and that is to have any certain plant in no more than 2 of my gardens. There are exceptions of course for a few stellar plants. I don't want all the gardens to be repeats of each other.

The night before last we had a thunderstorm with quite a bit of wind. There was a fair amount of damage to some of the annuals especially in the pots that were blown over. We did get an inch of much needed rain though.

Deanne, your tropical border is absolutely stunning!

Kathy, your trip sounds fantastic. I love the shots from Saucy�s garden and the yummy lunch.

Great picture of Leo and mommy.

I�d best get some sleep as tomorrow is a swimming day so I need to get up early.

Michelle

o
RE: Idyll #507 Happy Birthday Marlene!

This birthday shot was taken on the Buffalo Garden Walk - the koi were supposedly individually hand carried into the house each evening (because there was no circulation to the pond and the water had to be changed). Happy Birthday, Marlene ;)

Saucy

o

o
Just for Fun

A SPANISH Teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike
English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.'
'Pencil,' is masculine: 'el lapiz.'
A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?'

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two
groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves
whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each
group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The MEN'S group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the
feminine gender ('la computadora'), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers
is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for
possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself
spending half your salary on accessories for it.

(THIS GETS BETTER!)

The WOMEN'S group, however, concluded that computers should be
Masculine ('el computador'), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time
they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited
a little longer, you could have got a better model.

The women won..

o

Good morning everyone! Many, many thanks for all the beautiful birthday cards. That's so much fun to open the thread and see all the beauteous pictures. I had a lovely day puttering about my gardens. Today I have to get back to work. I've got a couple magazine articles due so I'm going to have to be in the studio for a few days.

Bug, lol over the computer story. love it

Michelle, funny that you are hoiking your Stella d'Oros. I did that last year. I just shovel pruned all my 'Happy Returns' this year. I dont' have the time to maintain and deadhead those puppies and they just look miserable this time of the year so they are now gone and will be replaced with Hakone grass. ~~ so sorry about the damage to your containers. I had a couple of 'blow-downs' from wind yesterday too. Oh well, it always happens this time of the year.

HOping Bug and Woody didn't have any damage from the storms last night.

So now its time to wish a very Happy Birthday to Marlene! HOpe you have a great day my friend!

I'm off to do the watering, have a wonderful day everyone!
Deanne

o

Fortunately we didn't get any tornados here, although apparently there were a few small ones around. Nothing like the one that devastated Goderich last weekend though. The storm last night started in the same area so the people up there must have been really worried!

We got 18mm. of rain which now brings our
August total to almost 4" - a very welcome relief after almost no rain in July!

Here is a link that might be useful: Goderich tornado last weekend

o

Happy Birthday, Marlene!

-Cindy

o
RE: Idyll #507 Lazin' through August - #2

Well, just a quick pop in chat to say,geez this has been such a week.....

Can't be anything more amazing than that sight of your front tropical borders and those brugmansias, cordyline, cannas, etc., Deanne. Simply jaw-dropping... and to think you over winter them too....

Looks like you've got some smiley baby "bugs", there, Gardenbug - I do think Leo is smiling like his Mom!

Glad you managed to land and back to "awfice", Kathy -- sheesh -- you picked a great week/end -- unlike the upcoming one.

I may have to recall this as a most amazing week -- Isla's First birthday was Monday, Tuesday we had the earthquake that was the biggest in 70 years on the East Coast (needless to say "quake prepared" was not in my vocabulary or training, and it was mega-stressful; we've had some interesting aftershocks) -- and now Hurrican Irene is whipping up the coast - I'm hoping they're correct and it will be winds and rain but that isn't so good for New York and New England is it?

LOL, Kathy - I noticed that we posted cards for Deanne with shots from the same place.... our minds think alike sometimes.

I hope, Cynthia, you managed to get your tree planted so it can be duly watered? It may be a good thing that we're getting some rain today here so that it will soak in and make the hard clay a bit more open to absorbing whatever the H. Irene drops -- much of the rains, what little we've had, have had almost total run-off.

I was planting some daylilies last Saturday after we'd had a few showers, and it was bone dry just 3 inches down (LOL, I'm adding new daylilies while Deanne is hoiking hers).... I've got too much strong sun for hakone grass to do well as a "sub" --

I hope you have a better time with your next bit of vacation, Michelle!

Okay, gotta get back to some other personal things that need serious attention and lunch seems to be the only time, sheesh.

-Cindy

o

There's so much work involved in preparing for a trip, but there seems to be a great deal too when you return! We've been busy with all sorts of stuff for the last week! I'm bushed! I've been trying too use my treadmill for a few minutes each day, but it is hard to make myself still.

After taking photos today, I thought it might be fun to ask everyone what their favorite new (to you) perennials were this year. There are two that come quickly to mind for me. One is Persicaria Golden Arrow. (http://www.avantgardensne.com/catalog/product.cgi/4/227/3898/P1/default/N/0)
The other, also not invasive, is Anemone multifida Rubra. (http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/anemone-multifida-rubra/)

I'll add a couple of "Nana" shots here:
"I don't want to nap!"

Up for air.

Time for dessert now!
'bug

o

Happy Birthday V!

o

'bug, the picture of Ivy could easily be a picture of Kenzie. They could be sisters.

I spent the evening moving all the pots to the potting area so that they can be watered with a timer and sprinkler while we are away on our vacation. I was removing a pot from a tall metal stand when the stand tipped over and fell on my foot. I don't think it's broken but it sure hurts.

Cindy, I hope the rest of your week is a little calmer.

Geranium 'Dark Reiter' and heuchera 'Rave On' are a couple of my new favorites.

http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide/geranium-pratense-dark-reiter.aspx

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/gardeners/heucheraraveon-p-157.html

Michelle

o

I sure didn't put in too many new perennials this year 'bug, but I sure took out plenty ! I'll have to find the tag on the cute little dwarf Sanguisorba I put in, I don't remember the cultivar.

And for todays' celebrant...

From 2011-08-18

nite all !

o

Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 10:59

Happy Saturday everyone! Beautiful cool sunny breezy day here,perfect for garden work. We are apparently not in danger from Hurricane Irene here, but I know many of you are. Remember that gardening season is drawing to a close, and if your plants are in danger, take care of yourselves first. The garden will be back next year....
For those of you who have requested photos of the Spite Fence, get ready. With the assistance of nine-year-old TCS I can finally post pictures again!

The fence in the fall 0f 2009:

and how it looks today:

The first photo is taken from the back looking toward the front. The second is from the front toward the back. Note how close the neighbour has fenced in front of literally all of her windows....

Time for me to get on my way. I will try to organize my photos so I can share with you all, as you have with me,much to my pleasure!

Stay safe.

Cheers,

Julie

o

Happy birthday Marlene!
From Drop Box

and also,
Happy birthday, V!

From Drop Box

o
and one more thing...

Julie, why that looks almost exactly like our neighbor's spite fence except ours has a sraight edge across the top. Same distance from our chain link fence though. Your neighbor certainly doesn't have much of a view, I guess. Serves her right! Your 'after' picture gives me hope! I will take pictures tomorrow-it is supposed to be sunny once the storm passes through.

Cindy, no, the poor tree is still sitting in its container on the front walk. I think if I want anything done around here, I need to be able to do it myself or pay someone else to do it. Oh well. I think Chuck just doesn't want to admit how much trouble/pain he is having with his wrists and hands these days, but it irks me and I do wish he would just tell me he can't do it! We are dry here, too. I put in a few more hosta and had to water them like crazy and it was dry just under the surface in our yard, not even three inches down!

Michelle, once I finish this I will check out the heuchera and geranium you mentioned. Fun. I was thinking I need to add a few more heuchera near the new hostas!

Hope everyone is warm and cozy inside if you are awaiting or in the midst of Irene. It has been windy all day here and it started raining (off and on) once I got back from walking the pups around 9:30. I have moved some things into the garage and turned the patio table upside down, but the umbrella in the deck table is too heavy for me to get out. Hope it doesn't take flight tonight, but if it does, hope it flies off the deck and not through the glass along that wall!

Waving and singing in the rain! :)
Cynthia

o

I made a list of tasks for this weekend, and have crossed off three out of 4 items thus far. I feel quite Julie -like ! In an unscheduled task , I dug out a mature Spirea as phase one of some changes I am planning in the front garden. I'm kind of clearing the path for the tree guy to remove and stump grind my Pittosporum Eugenioides which has basically morphed into a tree and is throwing too much shade.

I've noticed the changing light patterns.I love fall but I'm not quite ready for it yet.

Checking in on FB this morning our Idyll folk over there have lost some trees/plants as Irene passed through. Cynthia posted a photo of a tree down in there garden..and I think she said there was another, Les and Monique have one down and another leaner , No word from Cindy or Cyn though. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost power..Sue and Deanne were both out earlier. Good wishes out to all who are affected by this storm !

Julie, you are going to have to refresh my memory as to which fence went in 1st , hers or yours? Here fence is very similar (and in fact nicer) that the fences that are built between houses out here. The fence on one side of my lot is only about 6ft from the house wall. I can�t beleve how fast all your plantings filled in !

Ok , that�s all for me this time. I need to get back to the list..

Kathy in Napa

o

Yesterday we planted a small apple tree that is compatible with the apple we planted in Spring. Planting trees is always exciting to me. I hope it is happy where we placed it. Today was a cleanup day for me outdoors. I cleaned around all 5 apple trees, "the orchard" hahahaha. It took forever to get grass and roots out, but eventually I was able to put bark chips there as well. Then I removed buckets and buckets of weeds from the barn garden. I cheated and only did the front part and later will have to climb in there and do the rest. Yuck.

Meanwhile the sprinkler has been busy watering. DH walked the trails with Phoebe and cut down some dead limbs and some burdocks as well. He's been on a blitz to make the trails easier to walk.

I've been working hard at preparing for DS's visit in mid September and have collected materials for a school he is working on in haiti. This week I'll be collecting more items for the students. He'll be taking things with him when he returns on the 21st.

I think of Chelone often, imagining her trip of a lifetime. It will be especially tough returning to work!

Well it's time for dinner it seems, as DH just picked some tomatoes for me. I'll leave you with 2 more Nana photos:

Daddy and son...

Ivy chooses a matching hat...

o

Hi all! Well, we were very lucky with this storm. Power didn't go out until around 1:00 am and was back on at 7:00am. the tree is still standing-for now. I plan to sleep in the basement until it is taken down sometime this week....or falls down sooner than that! We had small branches down, but nothing big. Our neighbors (ones we like) were the unlucky ones this time. Another tree from the woods came down on their rear fence and took out several beautiful little trees and lots of plants-she had her yard professionally landscaped and it always looks much, much better than mine. Chuck went over with his trusty saw to help them with the fallen and or damaged trees. While they did that, I pulled weeds in the lower back of our yard. Suddenly, we seem to have porcelain berry everywhere. I have never had that before! I think I got most of it, but will need to get out after school this week to be sure. What a mess. Glad Tuesday is trash day-I have six bags full! If I have energy when I get home, I will try to pull more just to get it gone on Tuesday. Will get a picture of the fence this week-completely forgot everything once I started weeding!

Glad to hear Sue and Deanne have checked in.

Back to school tomorrow. I know this is terribly greedy, but I want more time!

Started this hours ago, but got distracted and didn't send it!

Later all.
Cynthia

o

Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 10:07

Kathy, our fence went in first. We had told the neighbour what we were doing and why (required for TCS's pool, and also to control small dogs). Our fence is six inches inside our property line. She did not inform us of her plans to fence, and her fence is six inches inside of the property line on her side. We had a permit, but I don't know if she did. Although I believe that the fence is indeed a Spite Fence, it has turned out to be a blessing. Our yard is now so private - she is our only neighbour with a property adjacent to us. We have a park on the other side and an orchard behind. We have enjoyed our yard much more now that it is so private. The photo above was taken this spring. I was thinking of you when I took the photo: the patio stones were two separate lines and this is where the previous owners parked their R.V. Makes a nice little side garden for us!

My perusal of FB tells me thatmost of you were all right through the trial os Irene. Some damgae of couse, especially to trees and shrubs, but at least you all seem to be O.K. We have a very cloudy and windy day, but no damage. The men,of couse, played eighteen hole in the wind: they were the only ones on the course. What can I say?? (but I think lots).

BTW, I think I missed Marlene's birthday! Sorry, V, I hope it was a happy one.

Beautiful day here today so I think I will take advantage of it to move a few things. That's the nature of gardens I think...change.

Take care all my friends!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Julie - I think the creeper-covered fence looks great! You'll have to post a fall-color picture of it too.

gb - Ivy looks very debonair in that hat! It looks like she's developing a wonderful fashion sense!:-)

Cyn - I hope you don't have to spend too much time in the basement!

It's been cool and sunny here for the past few days - perfect weather. It's supposed to warm up again this week though. Usually when there's a hurricane or tropical storm along the US east coast, we'd get at least some rain from it. Not this time though - all the rain has stayed east of this part of Canada. I'm waiting to hear from a friend in NB - she was 'battening down the hatches' yesterday because they were supposed to be getting a lot of rain from the tail end of the storm.

o

Julie, thanks for the refresher.. isn't it nice when negative stuff provides a positive result?

I'm waiting for a robust file to finish downloading on my laptop; I'm upgrading my photo management software and needed a tutorial ; cheaper than a class at the JC and can be viewed at my own pace .

Nothing else going on here..

Waves !

Kathy in Napa

o

"Nothing else going on here." Oh, I wish...... We are so very busy preparing for Adam's return to Haiti. Then too, DH is swamped preparing for the opening of classes. I am behind on weeding, even though I spend hours at it daily. Then there are various appointments, book club coming up again, etc etc etc .(as Yul Brunner said in The King & I)

Today I expect to weed some more 2 foot tall weeds in the veg garden. Sigh... Then again, who knows what emergency will pop up instead...

When last in Haiti, DS worked with installation of solar panels among other things.

And this one of one of the guys, just because I like it.

'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: Successful solar installation in Lascahobas, Haiti, to charge 500 laptops!

o

Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 13:38

Very quiet here these days.

Today was a doggie day: the usual outside play throw the bone for 20 minutes, followed by the trimming of the nails,face washing, then walkies, then the tick-and-bug heartworm whatever stuff. The nails and face and meds are not daily things. All the attention and all the accompanying treats wear them out for a couple of hours.

I fear my poor old cat is on her last little legs. She is eating more and more and getting thinner and thinner. All tests at the vet are "normal". Today as she was checking out the dog dish I bent down to pat her and she went nuts, snarling and yowling as if in a cat fight. I think I startled her and she thought it was one of the dogs. She is hiding somewhere now, but one more check with the vet is in order. We can't keep her if she is becoming nasty. She was a rescue from the streets and has never warmed up to people. We have had her at least ten years.

We are gearing up for the return to school. We are trying to have the bus pick TCS up at home as there is no other child at his current stop. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but we all know the fun of dealing with beurocracy!

Otherwise, all is well.

Cheers,

Julie

o

Poor kitty. Sorry the vet can't find anything. If only there were something she enjoyed and you could pamper her a bit....

More weeding took place this morning and a little more mowing this evening. I spent time at the book store but didn't find what I needed. DH got some business done, closing down his old company still. Later we bought 2 soccer balls for the school in Haiti. One is PINK! Also got a needle to re-inflate them on site.

My eyes are very tired today. Time to get off the computer I guess. Next time I post it will be September! Where does the time go?
'bug

o

Good morning all, well I'm up to my eyeballs with deadlines and have friends from Australia coming to visit on Monday and am teaching this weekend as well.... Yikes! I spent the last three days cleaning up the gardens from Irene's visit and am about worn out. We didn't have too much damage except for my Cotinus 'Golden Spirit' is now leaning over on my large container planting in the driveway. I'm hoping we can straighten it out soon. ONe of those things I can't do by myself and Doug hasn't had the time after work to help me with it yet. Oh well...

We brought in a garage load of plants to protect them from the storm then hauled them all back out again so many of the pots are still beautiful. The ones that couldn't be brought in are a bit worn looking. The coleus all got broken, the large Red Abyssinian Banana is in tatters and piles of leaves and buds got blown off the brugmansias. 'Charles Grimaldi' looks a bit skeletonized at the moment but they grow pretty fast so I'm hoping for a good flush of flowers before the frost sets in. But, I'm not complaining, the folks in VT and places in NY state were hammered with flooding.

Julie, your garden is looking lovely. I really love the vines on the fence. It's looking great.

Bug, love the 'Nana shots'. My goodness they are growing up so fast! Love the hat on Ivy. What a cutie!

Kathy, no kidding about the light changing with the seasons. The days shorten so fast this time of the year. I'm so not ready for fall/winter!

OK waving hello to one and all, I've got to get outside and get watering. Have a great day everyone!

Deanne

PS a couple pics from before the storm.

o

Julie - how's kitty today...? It's always sad times when pets get old :-( Misty is ~14 now and noticeably slowing down lately so we feel your pain...!

Deanne - your garden is looking fabulous. The number and state of your pots always blows me away! I turned over care of all pots to Randy when he retired. He's doing much better with them than I did. He's keeping the brugs fed and watered so they may get to survive another few years. One had never grew well or flowered so that one got cut back severely this summer. The peachy-pink one is doing reasonably well by the arbour:
They've been in the same pots for several years so I'm guessing they should be repotted soon. We'll have to do something about that this fall or winter I assume. Like the clematises here being gb's fault, the brugs are your fault Deanne! :-)

We seem to have got out of the bum shot habit here lately, but I couldn't resist taking this one today:

Sunny and cool here today. Summer is definitely winding down fast now.

o

Hot and sticky humid here today!!! (32C /90F) Too hot for weeding- which is urgently needed.

Decision fatigue has set in for me. So much going on with DD & DS & DH!!!

Later,
'bug

o

TGIF for sure ! I am expecting a very hectic September at the awfice, so I'll take this 3 day weekend while I can. Only 1 business trip though, and at least it's in my own time zone so I don't have to deal with jet lag and other bio-rhythm issues.

My poor garden sure looks dreadful, all the travel I did this summer took it's toll, and I'm already looking towards next year. I've noticed the leaves starting to turn too, on the Chinese Pistache street trees, some of the Ginkos, and others around town.

Lol Woody, I always check my back when bending over at Idyll functions !

Julie, my best cat Ted is getting quite elderly and I�m dreading his loss.I must say though, he hasn't had a day of illness that I can recall in the years he's been with us. Has to be close to 13 or 14 I think now. Doobie is a few years younger, but has more health problems . I wouldn�t be surprised if Ted actually outlived him. I would love to have a dog but I travel too much , so that is on the back burner for now.

Deanne, bet your Aussie friends will be blown away by your gardens !

'GB , 'decision fatigue' .. I have that I think-I'm having such a hard time prioritizing the many home repair projects required here. I tend to put garden related stuff at the top of the list , even though I know the domicile infrastructure is really more urgent. Plumbing , electrical , etc. Oy !

All for now,

Kathy in Napa

o

I give England very high marks indeed, although the weather was not nearly as nice as it generally is here! No wonder the British are reknowned for excellent senses of humor. :) I was surprised by how cool it was and was perfectly content to wear slacks instead of shorts.

I loved the ease of public transportation and was quickly recognized at the post office where they gave me plenty of time to count my money and think about what I was doing. I quickly realized why foreign visitors frequently commented on how patient I was as a clerk here in my own area. We humans are so often in a hurry that we don't allow others to fumble their way along and gain confidence in their ability to figure things out and reach a level of comfort in new surroundings. Taking care of a frail, elderly, mentally flagging member of our species added depth to a personality that is naturally given to engagement and curiosity. I liked what my experience "over there" told me about myself and my ability to be a "citizen of the world".

Returned to the usual daily grind at the awfice but with a barely contained perception of how really stupid it all is. Not sure if that's liberating or "trouble" with a capital "T". Only time will tell.

Wrecks greeted me with downright puppy excitement and I had to laugh at the foolishness of his antics. Later, he spent a significant amount of time with his head buried in my lap while a regular beating was administered to his velvety ears. Vera landed in bed with me about 3 minutes after I settled in... seems she spent the entirety of my "disappearance" curled up on a sweatshirt I'd left out for her. The coating of kitty felt providing mute testimony to her loyalty to Mummy and "bedtime".

Not a ton of pictures, however. Not because there weren't a lot of opportunities but because hauling out the camera and being a slave to "capturing the moment" just seemed too intrusive and would've wrecked the moment. Does that make sense on some level?

I hear ya on "decision fatique"! Plenty of that, here, too. Need help from you guys on decision making with respect to how much shade a few plants I'd like to add will withstand... namely, Japanese Maples. Location: along the east side of the bahn. Strong morning sun, but the sun is largely gone by 2PM in the early summer... will this be enough to satisfy a JM? Also considering Heptacodium, need some insight.

o

Welcome back Chelone! 'Over there' is a wonderful place isn't it?! What I liked best about our trips to England is that is pretty much exactly matched the mental image we had of what it looked like :-) I hope you had the opportunity to visit some of the wonderful gardens there - which ones did you get to?

In my experience, JMs can take a lot of shade. All of mine get minimal to no direct sun. There are several seedling ones growing underneath the big white pines in the back and they do just fine. Various other ones are in lighter, higher shade under the ash.

Heptacodium is high on the list of my favorite small trees. Ours should be blooming by next week. It is in full sun in the front garden. It faces directly south and has a big old white cedar at its back on the north side. I don't think it really needs the shelter of the cedar - it just got placed there because that's where I had the space for it when I planted it!

o

Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 11:44

Happy long-weekend Saturday, everyone!

Our weather is kind of like Bug's: overcast, hot,sticky. Not really nice.

I too have given up on the gardens for the most part. I spent a goodly time in the middle of the night planning steps to take this fall to improve things for next year. I hope I can find a bale of peat moss this fall, to dig in to aid water retenetion next year. Everything here is fried. Next year is going to be different, by gum!!!

Old kitty arrived at the breakfast table this morning with a robin. It was being held by the head and was flapping its wings and "running" with its feet. I picked up old kitty and she quite happily handed said snack to me, and I was able to release it safely on the wine deck. TCS refused his breakfast (true to his name,what else is new) and said he would never eat again and he would never touch Paws again either. He also supervised while I washed my hands.

I must admit that I will be pleased at the beginning of school. I had a very hard time intersting TCS in anything this summer, although Programming School and the backyard pool were big hits. Grade five already! Most of my decision fatigue (what a great turn of phrase, by the way) relates to TCS. Syndrome diagnoses, medication options, school related stuff, nutrition ( a big one for a non eater) etc. etc. leave me feeling completely at sea. There are times when I look around and wonder how I got here. But things roll along day-by-day and I am lucky in comparison to many. Sorry for the whine!

I managed to find a home for my ten year old double Hibiscus; I just have too many big plants to bring in! We have a great column in our local paper called Reuse?recycle. Here you can make an "offer" of something free, or make a "Request" for something free. I have used both and have been ecstatic with the result. The ads themselves are free also. The young girl who gave my Hibiscus a home was thrilled, and I was happy that I didn't have to chuck it out. Mr. Banana has usurped most of my other large greenery for now.

Which makes me think of Deanne: FYI, Deanne, J.D. Robb has a new book out: "New York to Dallas". I think it was you who commented on the "Death" series.

Today I am concentrating on one thing: food. Cleaning out fridge and freezer, making menus for the next couple of weeks, big shopping, pickling beets (the one thing that was hugely successful in my veggie garden) and making lime/mint jelly. Well, the pickles and jelly will likely be done next week; cooler and TCS will be at school while DH can still beon the golf course.

Welcome back Chelone! and waves to all the rest of you!

Cheers,

Julie

o

Okay, just lost my post. I have spent about three hours fooling (NOT the word I am thinking, mind you!) around with Picasa to get pictures of the spite fence into my drop box which seems to be the only way to post them here. I only was able to get one into the drop box (I know, makes no sense). Then, it seemed I could actually post the other two as well, so I did, but they didn't show on the preview. Two of the pictures show the proximity of the fences to one another and the other shot show how our black chain link pretty much disappears even when I zoom in on it. From the house or decl it is practically invisible-you can see the pots, but I will plant in front of those anyway, so no worries. So, will try one more time and then I am done for now. Hope it works.

From DropBox

o
try again

o

Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 22:19

Wow, Cyn, does this look familiar! That Heck strip in between the two fences is a real bummer. I have managed to hide it. Round Up is a great invention for anything that grows over on to your side. Good grief!

Cheers,

Julie

o

I know it's not your situation. You both liked your fences, and your neighbors didn't. I still like this article giving choices like a vertical veggie garden! Anyway I hope you get past the neighbors and see the gardening possibilities. :)

We had horrible neighbors in Edmonton. We moved. Nuff said.

I wish I had more time to chat. Ahhh well work and sleep are all I do these days. I've lost 30 lbs though, for the first time in 20 years, so that's something.

Time to sleep again. Night, night.

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY: How to Camouflage and Hide a Chain Link Fence

o

Hello everyone,

I recognize some of you from here and other forums. I have been away from here for a while on military duties. I'll also posted this summer, so will be selling my house and buying another, then starting the gardening all over again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here