Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Doldrums at the Farm

gardenbug
14 years ago

I am waiting for some decent weather so that I can do major cleanup of weeds at the farm but rain and humidity are preventing me from progress.

We seem to have a Black Crowned Night Heron in residence this year, so that at least entertains us!

A man from the county work crew drove up to give me bark chips the other day. I was surprised because I had seen him at work nearby LAST summer and asked for some chips then. I thought he had forgotten long ago, but no, he assured me he had not forgotten, but please don't tell anyone...Hmmm.

Here are the chips, covered by a tarp and the new wheelbarrow to keep the tarp in place during thunderstorms.

{{gwi:173228}}

Here is the compost area which I plan on returning to lawn. A big job waiting for me as far as weeding, adding decent soil and some flagstones in front of the composters.

{{gwi:173229}}

Grass is already sprouting where the menfolk removed a rotting laundry pole.

{{gwi:173230}}

Cotinus Golden Spirit (caged at the base from critters) brightens things up on overcast days. There's a tiny clematis that weaves through it. (of course!)

{{gwi:173231}}

I'm planning on trying a Cornus kousa in a sunnier location. Here's the marker for it.

{{gwi:173232}}

Near the north woods, a group of young shrubs: Tiger's Eye Sumac, Dark Elderberry and a baby C. Golden Spirit.

{{gwi:173233}}

So I guess things are happening slowly, but it is more about the bones of the place than about a lush floral display.

Comments (11)

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Doesn't look like doldrums to me. I'm always amazed at how large your gardens are, there is just so much to see. Loving those three shrubs, they give off a glow, the C Spirit and Tiger Eyes anyways. The Cornus should love its new spot, I hope it does well in that location. Nice pile of wood chips, too. Do they jump into the wheelbarrow on their own? LOL. For 250.00, they should. :)

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Don't feel bad, I always have areas where I need to start grass and my gardens bones always need work. So very handy is the north side of our barn with big double swinging doors to keep extra mulch in. In fact that's where I have it delivered. That 'Golden Spirit' looks like a lovely shrub that I really "need" LOL

Michelle

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's another shot of Golden Spirit- but Monique's is more mature and far superior!

{{gwi:173235}}

• deanneart
    14 years ago

I just love your farm Bug! A Kousa is going to be great there and I love your C. 'Golden Spirit'. I agree with Michelle, a must have.

Deanne

PS Bug how about some photos of your barn?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I like the north woods picture best. On the whole, I'm not keen on golden-leafed plants but they do look great if you've got the space to group them together and make a luminescent 'gold' garden. It looks like you're on your way to a gold and shadows garden which would be very showy.

Looking at the lush green - you've obviously been getting lots of rain! It's been a wetter-than-usual summer here too but I think you've had a lot more rain than we have had. It seems odd to have green lawns rather than dry brown at this time of year:-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Marie, I have that same color wheelbarrow. [g] We had to buy a new one this year and that was what DH came home with. I also have two of those exact composters side by side in my garden too. How funny. That's about where the similarities between my postage stamp and your farm end. [g] Love that Tiger Eye Sumac! Well, the weather will cool down, hopefully soon and you will have plenty to keep you busy after Ivy and Company go home, I see. :-) I hope we will get more pics of Ivy before she goes. And did Skyler go home already?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Skyler had to go home to be with his Mom on Friday evening and DSIL began work on Monday. DD & DSIL will have him for the start of school, Sept 2nd.

The wheelbarrow colour matches the mower. At least I won't lose them!

I'll try for a barn photo soon Deanne...or come take one of your own! ;)

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Again I'm taken with such picturesque garden scenes! How wonderful to plant what you love with abandon on farm acreage, although I can see it's a lot of work, too.

I think my new Cotinus Golden Spirit is receiving too much sun. Yours appears to benefit from a bit of shade and has a lovely soft color, whereas mine went quite yellow at first and is now turning a darker shade of lime.

I do hope you post a barn photo as I've always been charmed by fresh blooms contrasting with old (older the better!) barnwood.

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

'bug, your place looks like a good place to get lost and wander :) I need to skydive onto your farm so I can get a feel for the "lay of the land", lol! Count me in for wanting barn photos too. There's nothing like an old barn, unless it's an old tree.
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here you go! Brenda, don't land in the pond...it's pretty scummy these days.

{{gwi:173236}}

{{gwi:173237}}

• saucydog
    14 years ago

An old barn with an old tree - perfect!

Everything looks so nice, Marie.

Does a Black Crowned Heron do anything special to entertain you all?

Saucy