by John Keats

THE POETRY of earth is never dead:

When all the birds are faint with the hot sun,

And hide in cooling trees, a voice will run

From hedge to hedge about the new-mown mead;

That is the GrasshoppersÂhe takes the lead

In summer luxury,Âhe has never done

With his delights; for when tired out with fun

He rests at ease beneath some pleasant weed.

The poetry of earth is ceasing never:

On a lone winter evening, when the frost

Has wrought a silence, from the stove there shrills

The CricketÂs song, in warmth increasing ever,

And seems to one in drowsiness half lost,

The GrasshopperÂs among some grassy hills.

Comments (102)

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Survived Day One and Day Two looms with many good prospects. Not used to sitting all day, though, and took several walks around the building. The property is beautifully landscaped and it's really cool to WALAT at work!

(((Eden))). I have no experience to compare, but am guessing your Mom would want you with Bella if she could give you the honest choice. You're "with her" more than you know, if not in person. Shame on the staff. I'm still thinking that you, Chelone, 'bug and I could start one heck of a business sticking up for people with illness.

'bug: Girl's soccer is a semi-tonic for everything, yes? Your feeling glum is certainly understandable given the amount of property and plantings you've worked so hard to achieve. Of late I've found that working on 5'squares in the garden and getting just that one spot "perfect" has diminished my sense of abandoning them to recuperate. A step at a time?

Cindy: Your awfice sounds like a bees nest. Hang in there!

Saucy: Many folks I know and honor are beginning to really feel the effects of the shortened days and cooler weather. Do you have room to start some cuttings under lights and pretend it's Spring? I'm moving several lights out of the basement and into my office for the winter for that very reason. Rich isn't too happy about it, but it's cheaper than a therapist during the winter blues.

Mary - I got everything, except you in the crowd. Have you heard from your new "son" from Harlem? Love the veggie folks. Congrats on your gardener work! I can't imagine you doing anything she wouldn't love.

Deanne - The thought of your gardens looking at all tattered causes a chuckle. Try doing a base leaf cutting of the sedum, like you would a Rex begonia?

PM2 - Is your son in New York State? We're half-way, you know :-)

So here we have Sue with a Z7/8 garden and Kathy with a Z5. Did you guys switch coasts while we weren't looking?

Bopping off to do some Probate work for my DB, including a donation to his Hospital for a cutting garden to be established next year. My other DB and I spent a lovely half hour in the potager, cleaning it out and remembering a lot. My third DB is renovating my Mom's garden so we all still have it in us. My sister's black thumb is not mentioned in pleasant company. LOL

Enjoy the sun while it lasts!

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Martie...you survived! :-)

Yes, our son is in New York state and you may be half the distance, but not by how the 'crow flies'. [g] I will have to check that out more though. I was noticing that Gardenbug is only eight more hours past him. For a minute I thought it would be less, but I always do that when I look at a map..'but it's only a couple of inches further'..lol.

I add to your suggestion of an advocacy business...great idea. DH's mother just had a fall with round the clock aides with her. Luckily it was not a break, but the aide on duty has had issues before, so a decision was made to let her go. We were lucky that it wasn't more serious.

A step at a time...reminds me of a cute rhyme someone told me once that stuck with me. 'Yard by yard it's hard, but inch by inch it's a cinch.' :-)

Also for Saucy...there are some great full spectrum light fixtures now, that are specifically aimed at people who are sensitive to the lower light levels of fall/winter. I bought one at Target. It looks like a desk lamp and has a longer fluorescent type bulb that is full spectrum. I know they have commercial lights that are more what a doctor would prescribe too.

Martie...sister's black thumb..[g]

Nice to hear you sounding so chipper.

Okay...really going this time.

:-)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

PM2, I only realized it is a long weekend about an hour ago! So I must think about that a bit before I reply! DD's family, minus Skyler, will be camping up north at a favorite spot. The holiday includes their second anniversary as well. (Well, almost...on Sept 3rd.) Their marriage has been such a good thing for all in spite of the inherent difficulties of former partners.

I also want to say PM2 that I always enjoy your outlook on family/people and things. So I was happy with ALL suggestions for bending my mind around the present garden situation. We'll see what evolves over the next few weeks. I thank everyone for putting up with me.

Deanne, I've never had a problem starting sedum. Sarah had a broken stem that she rooted while I was visiting. They are very quick to show roots in water. I even just stick a stem in the ground and VOILA! On another note, this was the first year that I cut back Sedum Autumn Joy in June. I chopped off a big chunk that I mailed Sarah, then cut back the rest to about 5-6 inches. It wasn't beautiful for a few weeks, but now it is so perfect that I know I'll have to do this every year in the future. It's all about remembering to do it at the right time. Maybe I should mark next year's calender NOW!

Chelone, I am there with you on "the old resentment". I try very hard to recall the good medical experiences from the past, but it is a bit like counting the good teachers from my past...so few AND out of so many! There is something about being too overworked to be able to shine, but there is also that ability to make a difference (in both professions) sometimes without even realizing it. Doing an adequate job of anything is not good enough for me I'm afraid. (I guess that's part of my garden problem too...)

Marian's acreage is so beautiful and green. I love the natural aspect of things, though I know that too involves effort. And yes Michelle, I do think we need a photographic update of Kenzie's gardens. How that would have made a difference to me if I'd had a parent/grandparent to share garden wonder with! That will forever be a bond! I need to think about your suggestions on mulching too. I've got to find a source of good mulch. Past experiences haven't been good and mostly involved introducing weeds rather than prevention.

I have breakfast to prepare and errands to run. I'll likely be back later today. Wishing everyone a super day.
    'big

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Good morning!

We are just in the most fabulous cycle of late summer weather right now-warm, dry days and cool nights.

Eden, please know I'm thinking about you. Cancer is such a horrible, insidious non discriminating disease. You're doing the best you can for mom and your family. Be proud of that.

OK, I could go on about managing the challenges of maintaining a complex garden when your priorities shift even slightly. It sounds like many of us are experiencing it to some degree. The only solution I can come up with is to downsize but even that takes planning and time.

Speaking of time, it's time to get back to work.

Sue

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What on earth? Is GW's background a different "pea soup" color for everyone? Did Deanne's trojan roll through cyberspace to visit me?

I can say one thing for myself, and it's when I see a problem with myself, I look for solutions. Some things I've tried have been complete failures, but at least I keep trying. Presently I am back in the gym, back to taking vitamins regularly, and making sure I spend quality time in the garden and sunshine. I don't think that it's any secret that the past couple of years have been rough (though other's struggles seem far worse) and I just wish I could shake the last of "it". I get pretty messed up in my head and considered taking another hiatus from Idyll because I wasn't sure I could play nice....but once again, you guys come through as the real (not cyber, lol) people that you are......

So, I'll quit being all mushy and keep pushing through.....

Michelle, now you've really piqued my curiosity over the columns, so don't forget to photo them while you're taking all the other requested photos!

Chelone, my hairdresser moved my appt. to next week - could she hear the distress in my voice? LOL....what shade will you be sporting on your lower digits?

Kathy, congrats on the torque test!

Yes! Sue and Kathy have swapped zones!

I'm calling about a grindstone to place in the middle of my circular patio today - 40 bucks! Wonder if he'll take $25 since it's been in the paper for weeks?

Eden, I need a refresher, too! Is Rumplestiltskin in there somewhere spinning straw into gold, or different fairy tale all together ? I'll have to google....

Marian, green is hard to come by this time of year! I'll bet your fall color will be spectacular! I think New England will have quite the show, too.

Count me in on the not much watering crowd. One thing I do love about N.E. is the summers....and I like them cool and sunny (I hate it when people complain that they didn't have any summer at all.....not once did I need a parka to get to my car this July!)....if plants can't survive in my gardens, well, they don't get to live here, LOL....now the pots on the deck......this is the first year I managed to water them all the way to September and I only lost one to lack of water and it was a fluke! It wasn't under the sprinkler for the vaca week.

Now I'm just rambling, so I'm gonna put on the gym shoes and go whip my butt into shape, literally, since today is lower body lifting :)

Saucy

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

My, My everyone has come out to chat -- it was a busy nite!

I can only echo everyone else by now, Eden -- it's a tough tough spot and no good answers are there....It's too bad you couldnt figure someone out to care for Bella for a few days so you could go visit your Mom - I suspect a visit would help you; but as we know best ideas dont always work out. It's great to have Bella close to give her lots of hugs and read to her, isnt it? Somehow it re-affirms our joy in living.

Eden, thanks so much for the idea re the arbors -- I have in fact tied them to rebar that I placed afterwards in the ground, but the idea of placing the rebar inside is something that never occurred to me! Geeze, it's great to hear people's ideas here -- sometimes I worry about "whining" too much about a problem but you all take it in stride and come up with solutions... Which is why it's perfectly okay to chat here when one has bad news or thoughts... and talking about plants is always a great diversion - even if we're depressed about the look of our own gardens I find.

Saucy - what a steal -- $40 for a grindstone? of course getting it to your house is probably the challenge -- I have often wanted to have one somewhere in my garden but the shipping is prohibitive and I dont have the manpower to heave it around either. I consider them to be wonderful classic type elements of a garden and it would go great w/ your goddesses!

Like Chelone and 'bug, I confess I am terribly resentful and distressed about the quality of nursing care for chronically ill people; the horrible experiences my DM went thru linger and have colored my views about the future - there are indeed fine people in that profession, but they seem to be few and far between - at least in urban areas..... but one has to work with what exists and try not to be totally overwhelmed in frustration - something I often failed at.

Well somewhow, I missed Michelle's comments about columns in her garden and at lunch Im going to have to go back and try to figure out what myster is happening by golly -- columns, cant get more classical than that with those!! We definitely need photos.

We're having a gentle rain here -- hopefully it will help some things along to perk them back up (including myself) - Im looking forward to a long weekend and arranged to take Tuesday off as well -- right now a rainy day in bed sounds pretty terrific. I bet it sounds great to you too, V -- altho your belated birthday celebration will be nice too.

Cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Just a fly-by post here... to say if anyone is looking for a low-fat chocolate recipe, you've got to try the one linked below! I just made them and they are very good! I actually used some unsweetened chocolate that Randy had brought home from work and upped the sugar a tiny bit in the recipe. Read the reviews by other cooks - they're right; you'd never know there was dates in them unless someone told you. I just made the original recipe and it made only 6 small cupcakes. In the cooks' comments, a lot of people had doubled or tripled the recipe.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Did I really typed that? Signed "'big"? Truer words could not have been typed. Freud hits the computer age, oh my!

OK, caught up here in my reading. Now for those errands.

• anitamo
    15 years ago

A drive by too. Just wanting to send (((((((((((((Eden)))))))))). No words left that haven't been said, but good thoughts are being sent out to your mom, and all of you caring for and about her. You're in a tough spot, not being able to be with her. So pour all of your energy into little precious Bella...you will find a sense of peace in those tiny arms.

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Jesh... I'm behind again. I did see Eden's news. Prayers and good thoughts for you and your family.

Interesting news article, be careful what you say and think! LOL

"We build on behavioral priming research, which finds that cues or stimuli in the environment, such as the things we see, can activate related concepts in our mind that carry over to influence behavior, even outside our awareness. In a classic study, for example, participants exposed to elderly related words ended up walking more slowly leaving the experiment. The idea is that the words activated the elderly stereotype, which includes walking slowly, and such thoughts influenced behavior. "

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Now dont get ideas about my columns being very grand, they are just made of large tumbled pavers. Ill try to get pictures tonight.

I made some fresh salsa last night that Im eating for lunch now. I dont remember what kind of peppers I planted, but wow they are hot!!!

Cindy, dont be afraid of concrete. Just buy a bag of Quickcrete, mix in a wheelbarrow with a hoe until the consistency of peanut butter. If I can do it you can too. For my latest arbor we actually put the rebar in concrete footings and slipped the hollow legs of the arbor over it similar to what Eden probably did.

Saucy, a grindstone is a very cool find. My imitation in the Secret Garden is a concrete well lid.

Martie, Im sure youre glad to back in the swing of things.

I will have to put up some pictures of Kenzie enjoying her garden. I did take a few ;o)

PM2, we are harvesting tomatos, green beans, kohlrabi, carrots, onions and peppers. Im glad you mentioned using cardboard under mulch as that is something I do a lot as well. Kenzies garden has a lot of it this year as it was a very weedy area before. I also will rake some mulch aside and lay down cardboard and then replace the mulch.

Deanne, Id do a cutting of your sedum if I were you. They root easily and fast. Ive taken many cuttings from Matrona and Vera Jameson. Id love a brug cutting. I have a couple of things to send to you after I get back from vacation. How neat that you lived on an island. What kind of work did your dad do?

bug, I would have loved to have a garden mentor as well. When my kids were little they each had a small plot that we would sow with mixed annual seeds which were fun because you never knew what you were going to get. DS was quite into vegetable gardening through his high school years.

Back to work

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Since I really worked through lunch I can take a midafternoon idyll, right?

Jerri's quote reminded me of something I did inadvertently at a trade show last week. I was talking to a younger woman who had bangs that fell over her eyes. A section of her hair was directly over her pupil and somehow managed to make her eye look deformed - I couldn't look her in the eyes as I was talking to her. Without realzing what I was doing, I reached up and brushed my own hair away from my eyes, even though there was NO hair in my eyes. Sure enough, she immediately copied my gesture and her eyes were "normal" again. I had this little twinge of guilt that I had manipulated her behavior, but I also was glad that I could look at her again!

I've been avoiding the garden frustration discussion, but I have had a few myself this year. More specifically, I've been frustrated with my DH in regards to the garden. I've come to realize he has no patience. I can't tell you how many times in June he complained that the Petunias were smaller than last year. Well, yes, the June 08 petunias were pretty dinky compared to the September 07 petunias! If you look at them now, they're doing much better than last year.

He found a couple of butterfly weed seedlings in the lawn and wanted to transplant them. When we dug one, the tap root only went straight for about three inches and then took a ninety degree angle to the side. As a result, we only got a small part of the root. The plant looked sickly for a couple of weeks, and he moaned and groaned about it every night. Of course, the plant now looks just wonderful.

He also seems to have decided that no plant should ever die. I like to try things, experiment a bit and learn from the results, but the fun goes out of that when you are criticized for every failure.

OK, that's off my chest. Guess I should get back to work.

V.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Where did the day go? I just woke up from a two hour nap after getting home from my doctor's appointment. I see everyone's been busy chatting today. How is it that I think I have read every post and then I see someone refer to something I missed? I must be skimming a little.

Cindy, I missed Michelle's columns too and something else, but I can't find it again...lol.

Where has Ms 'big' gone to? [g] I didn't have a garden mentor either and never knew any of my grandparents. Having been almost the baby of the baby in my Mother's family, and of my Dad who was also almost the baby, all four grandparents had passed before I was a toddler. The only known gardeners in my mother's family were two maiden aunts of hers, who lived into their nineties and had great gardens.

So who had a garden mentor and who had relationships with grandparents growing up?

Sue...you hit the nail on the head, a shift in priorities plays havoc on the garden...at least in that particular season. And that is just what I arrived at in the spring, even downsizing takes too much time!

Saucy...so glad you have decided not to take a break from Idylls. I would miss you. :-) Good decision to start back to the gym, etc. I think we all understand what a struggle to get yourself to do what you need to do can be sometimes. Good job!

Michelle, you have some vegetable garden going this year. I have been a slacker. We are buying tomatoes this year for the first time in years. Peppers only do so so for me because I really only get about 6-7hrs of sun. I do love the cardboard idea too. Once I even used solid plastic left over from when the kids had an ice rink to solarize an area that I couldn't get rid of a weed. I left the plastic there for a year and it worked really well.

V....of course, with experimenting you expect a certain amount of failure. As a matter of fact, when I experiment with cuttings or seeds, I am always thrilled to get any successes at all...lol. Someone else's expectations that are unrealistic are no fun when they put them on you. I think it is very hard to influence someone who is negative away from their negativity. They seem attached to it like a security blanket. Not that I am never negative, but in general I try not to be stuck there. I used to just let people's negativity roll over me, but I found that was influencing me too much, so now I actively combat it whenever I have the energy too.

Ok...time for supper...enjoy the evening...waving to all....

:-)

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Just in from taking a few photographs and I thought you'd enjoy seein this beauty. check out this white brug!

Thanks to Sue who gave me the cutting a couple years ago.
    {{gwi:173606}}

{{gwi:173607}}

{{gwi:173608}}

Be back later for more commentary. I'm down in the studio and need to get upstairs and get some dinner.

Later all
    Deanne

• chelone
    15 years ago

I'm home and newly clipped and neatened up; hair is a good deal shorter on the left side of my part and the back weight line is higher and shorter. I was hoping for an "edgier" clip up around my ears (Beverly Sassoon from the '60s), but it's easy enough to cut more off! ;) Hairdresser is great, she kept fiddling with a longer piece of hair, trying to get it to "behave" and be on the proper side of the part. She said she wanted to cut it, and I replied, "go for it". But it would mean the part wouldn't be as neat... "so what? if cutting it sucks we'll let it grow back out. You cut hair for a living, you know what you want to do for a good cut. Go for it.". She uses "chipping scissors" (think that's what you call 'em) to thin out the hair on the top of my head and I can feel my posture improve with every cut, lol. My 4 week date with her always leaves me feelin' like a million bucks. Anita, your profession leaves me speechless with awe.

I want to speak to garden doldrums. I know a lot about the subject, you guys. It's really hard to watch the season(s) roll by and watch nothing happen in your garden except the increase in tasks that you need to do. And it doesn't matter why things don't get done, the cumulative result is that you wind up feeling overwhelmed and discouraged by the toll inability to get out there exacts. I "lost" the best part of 4 seasons caring for Mum. I lost another one to the vaguaries of weather and contractors. So I "get" the frustration thing completely. It was nearly impossible for me to engage the personal clutch after not using it for so long, but the simple act of yanking some weeds in a confined area was really quite liberating. At least I was DOING something. And the simple act of starting in a small area seemed to put the entirety of the project into a more manageable perspective. Personally? I'm using the "micro" lens these days, the truth revealed is far less overwhelming that the "macro". I've broken the necessary work in to bite-size morsels. And I've kept my head down and focussed on the immediate task in front of me. It's WORKED. I'm actually feeling pretty hopeful about my ability to get a shrub border installed, even if the time frame and the size of the shrubs isn't what I'd really prefer. "an inch is a cinch", as PM2 says! Sooo...

I really want to hear about and see progress on the Temple to Four Seasons, Lisa. Your delight in screens and statuary has really gotten me thinking about how to incorporate that sort of thing in my own yard. I, too, have been thinking about using mirrors in the garden since I saw the inventive use of them in Les and Monique's garden. But I worry about birds flying into them here, and I don't have the luxury of a solid fence, either. I've thought repeatedly about those really cool ceramic "tiles" fence we saw in Beverly (?) when we did the Open Days tour. I loved the idea and have been trying to come up with something similar to use vertically along the road to add some interest and height to the space between the newly planted shrubs. Not sure how or what, but know that Eden and Michelle's use of rebar and concrete will figure in the project. :)
    {{gwi:173609}}

As for "bringing people down" by sharing your worries, sadness, frustrations, well... I just don't see it that way, at all. It doesn't bring me down one bit to have people I like share those things. It's no different to me than if you told me those things sitting in my house. Friends are friends and sometimes listening to the unfairness life can mete out is the best way to make it more manageable. It's OK to be sad/frustrated/hurt and say so. (Kum Bah Ya chorus fades in now... ).

I've wanted to comment on much more but wanted to get the above thoughts out while they were still "fresh". Maybe I'll have more energy later on (doubt it) or maybe tomorrow.

But I really want to thank you all for your positive and encouraging comments about the "wasteland" to the east of the bahn. I have more real estate to weed and things to think about. Anita, the Viburnum seiboldii doesn't color up in the fall and that was "minus", but it was counteracted by the size of the mature plants, nice flowers and good-looking fruit, as well as the willingness to tolerate rather moist soil.

Time for dinner, so I'm outta here. Calling me "late for dinner could result in trampling.

(yum-yum, eat 'em up)

15 years ago

Deanne - those are very impressive brugs! How do you keep the leaves so green and healthy? Mine are turning yellow and dropping off... They did that last summer too - which was part of the reason I was considering just letting the whole plant(s) die off last fall!

PM - My mother and her parents - and indirectly her paternal grandmother - were my garden mentors. We lived with my maternal grandparents until I was about 14. My sister and I helped my mother in the perennial garden her paternal grandmoter had started. We helped my grandfather(who was 80 when I was born but who was actively gardening into his mid-90s when he died...) in the vegetable garden and orchard. My grandmother's favorite things were wild fruits so we helped her pick wild strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries - which she turned into fabulous jams, pies and shortcakes - yum!

Chelone - sounds like a nice haircut. Unlike you, I only go to the hairdresser when my hair gets so messy I can't stand it any longer :-) I go maybe 3-4 time a year.

gb - have you grown white erythronium? If so, what conditions is it growing in? I was thinking of getting some of that and the Auntie Sherry peony with Phoebe's gift but I've tried erythronium before without any luck so was wondering where it would grow best.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

For New Englanders, Weston Nurseries is having a 33% off sale now. I am looking over their catalog to see if there is anything I want. They do specialize in Azalea/Rhododendron. Do I remember someone here suggesting summer flowering Azaleas to me, when I was complaining of nothing blooming in July? I understand some of them are fragrant, but just starting to check if they actually bloom in July or June. I am considering getting one and would love to hear about anyone's experience with them.

Thanks....pm2

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

PM & Chelone, you hit the nail on the head (at least for me) with your "narrow focus" approach. I know that I do so much better when I attack a project in small pieces. I know I can get overwhelmed when I look at the entirety; I often feel I don't know where to start. In fact, when the house really gets out of hand, I tell myself to just put away three things. Anyone can out away three things, right? Often it ends up being more than just three, but the philosophy gets you started.

So I need to go put three things away in my bedroom...

V.

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just came in from dining and shopping with the family. We have a fave fastfood place called Know Fat....they serve good food and most of the side dishes are broccoli, and if you want fries, they're "air" fried :)

....and I was shopping for Plaster of Paris, for I figure if I need some winter projects, I'm always bummed that there are no leaves for the picking, since I like pressed leaves in the concrete. Anyway, I'm going to plaster cast and then use a latex "mask" to make a negative of the image :) Cross your fingers....probably won't try until the kids are in school so that I can work out the kinks before I make them help me assembly line style :)

Chelone, that's precisely what my worry was....can I Idyll without being constantly morose? Apparently I can :)

I'm so sorry that others are feeling blue, too, and that your gardens are not bringing you solace. Personally, this is one of my favorite times of the year because things look "fresher" than they do in the heat of the summer (or the grey of the summer as it may be!). Tonight the kids and I decided we should begin planning our pumpkin carving....this is a big deal for us! One year we brought home 1st prize in the carving contest in Maine! There is so much to look forward to before February shows her ugly head :)

Chelone, I'm afraid it doesn't look like much in the Four Seasons garden, but I promise to take updates as I progress! I want to remember doing this, too, as so far, it looks like I'm on my own :) Nick is pretty busy these days :) Did I say that I'm contemplating laying my own patio? We did one together year before last and I think I have it down pat....

Deanne, gorgeous!

Woody, I came home from Maine to well watered, but yellowed brugs. They need so much fertilizer! The brug forum suggest Epsom salts regularly, too! I'm going to try them in the ground next year if they survive my basement....

I'm headed to bed with columns in my head....I love Little and Lewis, Eden....been a fan since I saw them on Martha at least 10 years ago now!

Talk to you on the morrow!

Saucy

PS, LOL, I just read this post before submitting...I sound down right manic compared to this morning! Wonder what's up with me?

Anyway, wanted to say to PM: My mom always let us poke seeds in the ground no matter where we lived. I remember planting marigolds with her, too. My grandmother grew cherry tomatoes and had lots of potted plants that she moved in the basement for winter. I remember she had what she called a Jade Tree, and LOL, it was a tree!

I started to garden up here and thought it seemed easy! The soil was dark and friable, not like the red clay that my dad had on the farm (nursery, not livestock or crop)....and plants seemed to be easy. I was bitten. I had a neighbor who would leave perennials she'd divided on my doorstep in a big coffee can that we set up for the task, and I went to GW plants swaps. That's how I got started.

Cindy, I called about the grind stone (no answer) and then noted in the next "ad" that he has a 15" bell for sale for 10 bucks :) LOL....just call me Fred Sanford. What am I gonna do with a giant bell?

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Quickly:
    We use a bell for our doorbell Saucy! It gets confused with the nearby schoolhouse recess bell at times, but it does its job when I need DH quickly!

V: Yes I need to do some "Three Things Therapy". Getting started on the horrendous job is stopping me in my tracks. And also knowing that even if I did succeed, I'd have to begin again. I have put in a call for some garden help. Perhaps next week they can start?...

Woody, yes, I love the white erythronium. They took forever to get started and bloom...like 3-4 years for me. Never enough though! The grow by our iron gate beside the ferns. It's a mighty shady area there. The chipmunks like them too. Grrrr

Saucy, I had leaf imprints in my kitchen tiles at the former house. They were from Brazil and I loved them. There were a few leftovers which I still have, saved somewhere or other. No idea what I'll do with them though.

My French grandfather was a gardener. He was the accountant for an assylum and they lived in the premises. Grandmere strictly did the cooking and Granpere his job as well as the garden. It was impressive to me as an 8 year old and it was huge, enclosed by high brick walls. There was a doorway with a lock and you needed a key to get in. Voles were his big enemy and he used the hose to attempt to drown them. Oh the memories! Every meal involved a trip to the garden for lettuce, beans, gooseberries...all sorts of amazing things in my eyes. He spoke German, I did not. There was a bond there though.

Gentle rain here too Cindy. Good for the plants and I guess it means I can delay my weed attack a bit longer.

That's it for tonight.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

My mind is often like a sieve. I meant to talk about my gardening mentors. My grandmother had a wonderful old fashioned garden. I remember hollyhocks, gaillardia, phlox, feverfew, snapdragons and geraniums. My mom also gardened, and I remember that she let me plant what I wanted in parts of the garden. In fact, one of the first "failed experiments" was when she and I dug up some ferns from the woods of northern Wisconsin where we were vacationing and tried to transplant them in our backyard garden. They died... For the most part my mother wasn't an adventurous gardener but she always liked to keep the yard looking pretty and she always let me help.

My birthday celebration plans have changed slightly. My MIL decided that she should take us out for dinner tomorrow night for our anniversary (30 years last week!) and she decided we should go to Lake Geneva. Doesn't make sense to go back two days later, so we made reservations at a sushi restaurant that's supposed to be really good.

Saucy, buy now and find a place for the bell later. I'm sure once you see it, an idea will ring true.

Deanne, I've been meaning to mention your sedum. That looks like it could be unique. You should take some cuttings on it. As others have mentioned, it should be easy to propagate.

V.

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Seems I'm always on the bad side of a hair appointment. A couple days ago a neighbor dropped by mid-morning. I'm in Duncan's powder blue T-shirt with the image of Napoleon on a horse by the painter David, which mistakenly ended up in my closet after laundry, and I haven't subdued my hair yet. I've definitely reached the end of summer, what-the-hell phase, appearance wise. Just forgot to tell the neighbors ;) She looked a little stunned. Her mouth formed the words "Must be nice to have so much hair" but nothing could hide the horror in her eyes. Oh, well...better telephone first!

Seems like Saucy feels about winter the way I used to feel about summers. This year I truly enjoyed every sweat-drenched minute. But fall and winter are hands down my favorite. That's a great idea to ease into a cold winter with a plan to wrestle with like the goddesses and the shrub border and Cindy's clemmie support project.

About sharing sad news and misfortune, I'd hope that no idyller ever feels compelled to bear it alone. Exciting to hear about all the projects percolating. I love Michelle's advice to embrace concrete. V, I was sure you were going to report reaching over and brushing the girl's bangs out of her eyes. Happy 30th anniversary!

Deanne, the brugs are flawless. Good job keeping the ravenous beasts fed. Leaves locally always appear chlorotic on brugs, and bug-eaten.

And I can't remember what Rapunzel's problem was either, tho she was definitely locked in a tower. Obviously an evil stepmother involved somehow. G'night, all.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I should be sleeping by now, but gee...what are those photos of Chelone? I just love the inserts, the design, the color, the shine, the texture. So pretty, are they for the garden?

pm2

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

bug, your grandparents garden reminds me of the garden in the book "The Secret Garden" with the brick wall and door with a key.

No garden mentor here. I got bit by the bug when I married DH and moved to this farm that lacked even the standard foundation shrubs. I added a few shrubs and one thing lead to another.

I think I now have the garden doldrums after seeing Deanne s fabulous brugs and containers. LOL Actually, there were several areas tonight that I thought looked pretty darn good. Im going to put a few pictures up on a separate thread.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Shucks its almost bedtime, Ive been watching the sports event at Mile High, and so much I would like to comment on..Thank goodness for 3 day weekends. Do I remember and Idyll a couple of years ago that was designed to be started and completed over the 3 days of labor day Weekend ? Think I was a lurker at the time.

V, I am that close to becoming a Cubbies fan for the rest of the season. When you get swept by a sad-sack organization like the Nats you have issues! Do we need to do a mass mailing to your DH explaining that gardens are dynamic, prone to the follies of climate and pests, and require tolerance of imperfections at times ? Just dont show him any pics of Deannes garden.

Saucy. my Brug looks like crapola. Im in zone 9 ! Pout, pout, whine , whine.

Promising a more cohesive post on the morrow.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Boy, I'm glad it's Friday. yesterday at work was not so great. It requires a good deal of planning and attention to detail to do what I do and it's easy to look at work and find little things that you wished you'd done differently. I received a double helping of "if it had been me, I'd have done thus and such" yesterday, which usually indicates some sort of turmoil. I couldn't wait to get away, lol. Today will be better though.

Kathy, has Manny continued "being Manny" or has he gotten his hair cut? He's a rig, ain't he? I managed to fall asleep just before the big event last night, and I awakened in time for the "post game wrap up". NPR should bring me up to speed this morning. ;) And that's great news on the torque test, you must be heaving a sigh of relief. Know I would be!

PM2, that fence in the picture above was really cool. They had a formal area defined by those low fences (2 1/2-3'H) and I just loved it. They were ceramic tiles set into a rather ingenious frame and the effect was really charming in a shady area. I would like to do something along those lines, but stained grey to match the house. Have been toying with the idea of using the scroll saw but have yet to come up with anything interesting. One more thing to add my list to fill up my "spare time"...

Will try to comment on garden mentors later today, but for now I have to get to work. (9 hrs. and counting).

Hi Marian (the blanket, picnic, and shots of Nolon partying with the kitties was a good idea).

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GB! You could use your leaf impressed tiles as inserts! Chelone, I immediately thought that the cheapest substitution would be cast iron trivets....you'd have to find a good supply at a cheapo store like Job Lot or The Dollar Store!

There, 2 problems solved and I'm not even out of my pajamas.

Denise, I am always terribly envious over my husband's head of thick hair (good thing it's not biblical times and my names not Delilah, he, he, he)....but I have noticed that he can look a little like Christopher Walken if he doesn't get a trim and use the appropriate hair minimizing products, LOL! I had company while I was in my pajamas yesterday. I had decided to work in the office in my pjs - I'll never learn. Anyway, that long paragraph was to say that big hair wins hands down over stuck-to-your-head flat hair! Your neighbor was probably as envious as I :)

I have often felt the need to go it alone and often find myself very sad and alone. Pure martyrdom on my part. Never works....but I still consider it as an option each time.

Yeah, Kathy, the brugs are getting the sideways eyeball from me, "straighten up or I'll chop you into pieces and sell you on ebay!" LOL! I paid 7 bucks for this hardship :) But the scent....the scent is intoxicating! And the constant promise of just one more bloom! It's like it's dangling chocolate from it's (wimpy) branches :)

But sucesses! I'm in love with my Aloysia(Lemon Verbena - if you need leaves for food/projects, I'd be happy to share) and Cussonia (South African Cabbage Tree) and I'm very concerned at how to overwinter. I am considering calling the greenhouse where I bought them and asking him...if he minds, I'll get a sense over the phone and I won't do it again :)

I'll be casting leaves of the castor bean, my first year with this plant! I've admired it often in other's gardens, but never saw it offered as an annual. I like how Michelle has it paired with EEars. Lots of other leaves to cast, too. I have it in my head that I want to make a mosaic of leaf casts as a frame for a mirror out of concrete. Little and Lewis did this years ago, but I don't see an example on their website.

Well, SunnyD is home from her vacation to Maine (she took 2 weeks!) and she's asked me to walk with her and Small Dog :) The rest of my day is wide open!

Countdown: 4 (including today) days until school starts!

Saucy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Eeek! Labor Day weekend already! What the hell happened to summer?

Fred Sanford...lol, Saucy you are too funny. When you start to feel blue this winter just reread your idyll musings from the summer. Should get you chuckling in no time. It certainly works for me.

I had no real garden mentors either. My Swedish great grandparents owned commercial greenhouses in Woburn, MA and actually hybridized florist type chrysanthemums. Apparently they had some beauties and were well known in the florist community. They died before I was born but the greenhouses remained for many years. By the time I was in high school even the grandsons who had taken over the business were retired. At some point in the 80s, the land was sold and is now a cul-de sac of homes sitting right on top of each other. My mom's cousin still lives in the family home that my great grandfather built himself at the turn of the century. My grandfather (their son) used to grow a small vegetable garden and always had bedding annuals around the house in the summer. Unfortunately he died when I was 15 so I never got to know him as an adult. Something tells me he would have really enjoyed my garden.

Happy Anniversary, V!

LOL...here I am reading along and wondering why Kathy would be watching a Denver Broncos game...then it dawned on me. Shows how much I follow politics. Guess I would rather watch a good NFL match up.

I have lots more to say along the garden frustration line but no time left this morning. Lately I've been really struggling with wanting a more complex garden and not wanting to be chained to it all season. I deliberately planted fewer containers and annuals this year because I knew I was going to be going away for a week. But I only intend to go away more in the future so something will have to give.

OK, enjoy the day!

Sue

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

What a beautiful weekend we are going to have. Tonight some friends are coming over for a cocktail party in the garden. No sit-down dinner but hors doeuvres. Im so pleased that the brugs are putting on such a show right now. Im thinking of moving the smallest of them to the patio area so it will be scented with that marvelous perfume. Ill see how much time I have. When I went to put the trash out this AM I had a nasty shock. The driveway garden that I thought was looking pretty wonderful is now a mess of mildew. I swear this appeared overnight. The Heliopsis Lorainne Sunshine is such a mess Im going to just cut it right down to the ground and even the David phlox is covered. Grrrrr.. Take your eyes of something for a minute and pouff its a mess. But on the positive side, the Russian Sage, Verbena bonariensis,, and Anemone robustissima are all blooming at the same time and its a beautiful haze of purple, blue and pink. Its a very airy and pretty combination.

I didnt really have a garden mentor but my Peper always had the best vegetable garden. One of my great-aunts who I didnt know was apparently an OCD gardener like me. My Mom always says Im very much my aunt Coulombe.

V. Thanks much for the input on the sedum seedling. I was hoping to get an opinion from you as you are in the know about whats new out there. Im going to go and take cuttings of it. When they root how would you recommend wintering them over? Im assuming they need a cold spell. Im hoping they bloom yellow again next year and that this isnt just a fluke. It really is a pretty thing. ~~ RE Dhs in gardens. Im eternally grateful that Doug isnt a gardener. It would lead to heated discussions and as it is he just thinks everything I do is pretty but has no opinion on the plantings. Did you show your DH the photos of the 07 Sept petunias vs the 07 June petunias?

LOL about the haircut woes here. I have mine cut once a year whether it needs it or not. Im in awe of all you with the thick gorgeous hair. Ive got horrible, thin, straight, nasty hair so I just tie it back and ignore it.

Woody and Denise, Ive been really paying attention to the color of the brug leaves and the second I see one turning yellow I give it s a shot of liquid feed. I also tried something new this year. I used the Bayer systemic insecticide/fertilizer for roses. Its really kept the bug population down to reasonable levels on them. I find it interesting that even with the fertilizer in that product they STILL need a supplemental liquid feed. As you said, ravenous beasts.

Saucy, do you know why they recommend Epsom Salts for the Brugs? ~~~ I sometimes think that the late summer blues are caused by the shortening day length. We must be down at least an hour or more from the solstice and the days get shorter really fast this time of the year.

Chelone, do you have a longer picture of that fence and how it looks in its landscape? Just beautiful! I love it.

Michelle, Ill get those brug cuttings started for you and we can exchange things after you get back from vacation. ~~ RE time on Chincoteague. My dad worked for MIT and had been on loan to NASA and was working on Wallops Island VA. He worked on the development of tracking radar for the first space shots that originated on Wallops Island.

Cindy, great news about getting some gentle rain.

"Big" whoops, Bug thanks for the info about rooting sedum. I also cut my Autumn Joy in June and they are lovely, perfect mounds ready to bloom.

Martie glad to hear youre doing well getting back to work.

PM lol Glowing Deanne sounds like Ive had too much wine. I burst out laughing when I read that.

Thanks to all who gave me input on rooting the sedum. Im going to give it a go this weekend. Im also going to try leaf cuttings. Lets cross our fingers that it comes back with yellow flowers again next year.

OK, Ive got to get off this computer and get out in the garden.

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Fabu fabu Brugs, Deanne -- almost (almost) makes me think of wanting to try them - but I fear they are just too high maintenance for me; I can barely remember to fertilize a container or two during the season!

Kathy - meant to tell you congrats on the next stage of the dentistry renovation -- you are way more stalwart than I think I could be.

Congrts, V, on 30 years of wedded bliss -- it's a major accomplishment in life -- 30 years of a successful relationship with anyone individual!

Re garden mentors, I guess I could count my beloved grandmother & her widowed sister (who lived with her) as early ones - I have distinct and fond memories of their rose garden (Im sure they were all hybrid teas as I recall how they looked), beds of lily of the vally that I adored (my birth month flower too), and a huge lilac tree that I climbed on -- I recall puttering outside many a day w/ them; at their NJ beach house where we g-kids were sent off to spend a month a year, I oddly recall a fondness for portulaca, LOL.... I think those memories stayed w/ me; my MIL was quite the gardener and it was a subject we early on established a common topic - I could visit her and we'd wander her garden - again, a big rose lover; to this day, our roles are reversed - if she visits VA, she comes to see my garden. I have a few things from her yard. Oddly, my mother was not a fan of gardening except for a huge bed of peonies and annual containers she loved to do each summer. I hope at some point to get a few of those peonies to bring to my house, but time will tell on that one.

I do recall my MIL many times bemoaning leaving her garden for trips overseas she took annually w/ her spouse; it used to be a family joke -- but I now totally get it, and sympathsize as only a gardener can -- just the sorts of things we're bemoaning here.

Well, on that note, gotta start the day job -- Happy Friday all... ugh, I guess Im moving again at the ofc - such disorganization....

(Im contemplating ...... "embrace concrete"......)
    --Cindy

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Good Friday morning!

After my usual skim, I have the Kum Bah Ya song duking it out in my head with the theme from Sanford & Son - somehow I think Sanford will win.

Busy week here, the kids are back to school starting yesterday. DS liked his first day of middle school. He spent a long time combing his hair yesterday morning - with an actual comb and not his fingers - will wonders never cease? This kid has a stubborn cowlick which I've given up trying to tame - the AM battles weren't worth it. I was happy last year if he brushed his teeth and washed the maple syrup off his face. Is my baby growing up?

Eden, first and foremost, I am thinking about you, your mother and your family. Good that you have the lovely Bella to make you smile.

As far as sharing on the Idylls, I love it that we share the good along with the bad - that's what life is, really. I know I don't always address each and every post - it is practically impossible - but when any one of you mentions some difficulty you are having, I am nodding along and thinking of you, sending good thoughts your way. In fact, if I get some of my best thinking done in the car, and if I could find a way to Idyll while sitting in traffic, I'd probably be here more often. Sometimes I compose a post in my head on the way to work, but when I get here other things capture my attention and I never get a chance to type it.

Now Saucy, do tell - a brugs that smells like chocolate? Mine smell more flowery to me - the white one smells like a bit like shampoo, but in a good way. I love it when the smell wafts into the house. I grow mine in larger pots than yours, and I use the Osmocote pellets and those moisture crystals. I am still watering them at a rate of several gallons per day, especially the Charles Grimaldi since the roots have filled up the pot. I haven't supplemented the fertilizer yet, but a shot of liquid fert might be in order this weekend. I'd grow them in the ground if I had a nice sunny spot with good soil.

Deanne, your gardens look maHvelous! I LOL about a comment that you made a while back about not looking around at all when you step outside so you could leave your yard and go the the gym - that's how I get to work every morning! No weekday morning gardening for me, otherwise I'll get to work late and dirty.

Re: hair, mine is curly, and the longer it gets the wilder it gets. I have a standing appointment every 6 weeks, and that is the best thing for me. I used to wait and call when it got entirely unruly, and my long-time hairdresser suggested that I pre-book to stay on a schedule.

Well, have to get my day started here I suppose. Waving hi to all! Enjoy the weekend everyone!

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Hello everyone

You might have heard the cries of jubilation yesterday as Annie and I (it takes two to lift), after much frustration finished plumbing in the pedestal sink. Yay!! I think she was every bit as pleased as me and now wants me to teach her to use power tools. Girl power!! We got it done exactly an hour before my book group arrived and to say I was scrambling to pull the rest of the house into shape would be an understatement. But I made it. Friends arrived with wonderful food, lots of book ideas and plenty of wine. A most fun evening ensued. (Powder room photos and book list will follow.)

Today is David's birthday. He is playing golf with DH, Annie is baking his cake and he wanted 12 raw oysters and a lobster dinner rather than a sleepover party. Friends are joining us for cake after.

I will be busy this afternoon as I have another gardening job. A bookgroup friend is working on the interior design on a huge (8000 sq ft) new house and asked last night if I could help with the layout of shrub borders. Their pool contractor fancies himself as a horticulturist and purchased the material (sadly I think all the overused boring stuff - Burning Bush, Stella D'Oro etc). I'm meeting with the client this afternoon and will come up with a planting plan. What is neat is there is plenty of opportunity to add more trees/shrubs and I'm hoping to be able to suggest things to make it special and provide year round interest. I think a trip to the Japanese Maple nursery could be in the books. Sue and Deanne want to tag along:0)

While I'm feeling nervous right now it could be a really cool opportunity as there are 2 acres, generous budget and workers to do all the grunt work. I had an email today from my first garden lady who loves the border so I'm a little buoyed up. Just wish you guys were all closer to look at my ideas.

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Good morning Idylls Its Friday and tomorrow begins a vacation of 10 days. I need it badly. Working in an office where 2 of the 4 office staff are the owner and his wife and they have a place at the lake makes for a busy summer for me. Just when I like taking time off and not being so busy. The wife is looking at retirement within the next year so things should improve greatly. It sounds like her part-time position will become full time at that point.

I get my hair cut about once a month. I add a little gel in the morning and blow dry. Its pretty easy.

I had been getting up a little after 6:00 each morning and spending about 45 minutes walating in the garden. I try not to do a lot other than walk around, enjoy and discover what the garden has to offer that day. Mornings are so peaceful, cool, calm and quiet. In the evenings I tend to work in it and dont relish the beauty as much. I will do light tasks in the morning such as pick beans or deadhead if I have time. I have to change my schedule and shower and eat first as its just too dark at 6:15.

Saucy, LOL about the Fred Sanford comment. My dad owned a salvage yard that my grandpa started so collecting is in my blood. In fact yesterday I stopped at garage sale and picked up a neat old table white enamel top with red flowers in 2 corners for 5 bucks. Id grab the bell. Take a look at the picture below. I think it was at the Green Bay WI Botanical Garden. After seeing it I knew I wanted a bell in the garden just for fun. We now have the bell on the playhouse, which for such a small bell makes quite a lot of noise. We also have a triangle by our backdoor that my dad made for me and I have hanging on a shepherds hook. I ring this for DH to come to the house for meals. It can be heard from quite a distance. You will have to save the castor bean seeds, they are very easy to grow from seed.

V, congratulations on 30 years. Funny that you just realized that hes impatient LOL

Back to it
    Michelle

{{gwi:173611}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

I am pouring over plant lists today and no time to chat..lol. I was not expecting to be making purchases this early but two of my favorite nurseries are having sales and I thought rather then wait for the deeper discounts and not get what I want, I might look now for a couple of things.

I am really wanting a Yellow Magnolia in the worst way and despite not being able to figure out where to put it, [g] I am pretty sure I am getting one this weekend. There are so many varieties now! Has anyone bought one of these yet? Any cautions about why I should take it off my list or good experiences with them?

pm2

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Yellow magnolias: So beautiful! Risky in my zone. Some have blooms that turn quite brown as they fade. That's all I know!

Does anyone have experience saving impatiens over the winter? Old ladies I knew used to do this, but I thought "what a waste of time!" Now I have a special plant, called "exotic" which I'm not sure I'll be able to find next year and I'd love to have again. Is it sort of like coleus in that you stick them in water, they grow roots, lose leaves, get soggy, then die? September to May is certainly a long haul... Our nights are getting cooler and down to single digits. I imagine I could lose my plant one day soon.

I've about decided not to save much this winter. The added burden of containers is ridiculous on this huge property. Maybe I'll buy a few thing in the spring and try for 5-6 containers instead of many sorry looking ones. I've really enjoyed my hanging herb basket though...

DGS is back from Disney...with a bang. All the manipulation and horrid eating manners returned too. (DH had prepared DD's favorite Indian meal...but DD ate alone in the kitchen because she couldn't bear the crying, hand waving and other antics. Meanwhile the baby fed himself with a fork and ate twice as much as the 9 year old! His past medical issues really have a hold on his parents, and treating the child like the normal kid he is just isn't an option for DD YET. I suppose she could eat in the kitchen for the rest of her life. Sigh.

Later,
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

Hey 'bug, maybe DGS needs a reality check, a "taste" of what is too common in India... going to bed early with NO dinner! He won't starve before morning and time alone in his room with books might just do him a world of good and give him something to think about. My brother and I are still alive and believe me, it cured the belly-aching about dinner. I know it isn't the present vogue to do things like that, but too many kids have no idea what a luxury "3 hots and cot" really is. ;) There is no reasoning with a spoiled brat, drop the hammer! who's in charge?

I have a yellow Magnolia! it's called "Butterflies" and it's been here for about 3 yrs.. It's actually a funny story. It arrived at the helpmeet's workplace by accident (wasn't on their order) but the helpmeet snapped it right up. We were planning the barn and didn't know where to plant it. It wound up in the vegetable garden interred in one of the raised beds. It FINALLY flowered this year (one blossom, lol) but it has at least doubled in size and now we have to wrestle it out of the bed and put it in its forever site. I'm really looking forward to that exercise, lol (on the docket for the next few weeks). I offer the following considerations: make sure you know how big it will get ("Butterflies" gets big) and be prepared to wait a year/two/three for flowers. I suspect our's is going to take right off and begin flowering next year or soon thereafter.

30 yrs. is a monument to good senses of humor and compromise, V.. I'm happy for you! We have a very dear friend (we call her our daughter) and when she married a few years ago we were stunned that she toasted us right after her parents. She said that we showed her that you marry someone with similar intellectual, pecuniary, and athletic sensibilities. But most of all, that humor and the ability to laugh at yourselves and compromise were what helped ford the inevitable "rough waters". We both wiped tears at that, I don't think anyone has ever paid us a nicer compliment, surely none so meaningful. Party down! gonna pull out "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", or what?

Saucy, I am deeply conventional when it comes to nail polish. I am presently sporting, "Resilient Red" by Sally Hansen. I like nice "bubblegum" pinks, too. I might move into lavenders, but I'd never wear blues... . I'm too fair and would look downright cyanotic! My hair is "workin'" really well today, the sign of a very good haircut. (Right Anita?).

I'm home early today. Another day of not being able to get away fast enough, lol. I'm not sure what's going on but the barrage of criticism has moved from making me feel down to downright pissing me off. Let's hope Tuesday ushers in a sea-turn. :) It will be nice to have a few days of solitude and ass-bustin' work to occupy my mind. Sorry, 'bug, but I'm actually feeling sort of energized by the work ahead of me. For the first time in a long time I'm doing something I really love and aside from the THTTF there is nothing to gnaw at me or require my attention. (except Mum's birthday on the 2nd., but she would have enjoyed the project).

Mum was probably my earliest garden memory. She would let me wear patent leather shoes and dainitly tip-toe over the islands of remaining snow in search of the earliest spring bulbs around the house. It was such fun to find the first crocus poking out of the ground. I remember her on her knees fussing with the Iris and pulling weeds. Dad was into growing vegetables. He LOVED it! and only toward the end of his life did he really begin to embrace the idea of "building soil". Probably my favorite memory of him was the time he declared war on the woodchuck that had ravaged his beans. He set up camp in the bathroom (best view of the gaHden). The .22 was carefully aimed out the window and he was seated on the commode, his beer on the windowsill. "yessuh... sit up pretty, Mr. Chuck-chuck..." BANG! "there you go, you SOB!". LOL. Too funny. Hard to believe I'm the only one left to carry those memories now. :/

I have to start the 2 (count 'em!) days of dishes in the kitchen. But I couldn't wait to come home and see how my far flung friends are today.

Hi Marian!

• chelone
    15 years ago

Deanne, I have NO organization with respect to photographs. But I quickly went back to see if I had any "long shots" of the fence. This is the only other shot I have:
    {{gwi:173613}}

There were 4 sections, laid out symmetrically to either side of the entrance to the "garden". Maybe Wendy, Saucy, or SunnyD has a shot that shows the layout? Anyway, I really liked the repeat of the Chinese theme (it was Chinese Chippendale and clearly in evidence around the property).

I also liked that the plant material was simple. It made the entire garden seem "do-able" to me... I have those things at hand and it was the formally laid out fencing that lent it the formal air. I instantly thought of using the native ferns in place of Hosta (though I have loads of that, too!).

Make sense?

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

From my in box. Thought I'd share:

TOP 5 GARDENING MISTAKES TO AVOID IN THE FALL
    Gardening in the fall can be a pleasant experience. The weather is crisp, the sun is bright, and now there is time to get those little things done that you have been putting off all season. Here are some tasks that actually may cause you some 'garden grief' if they are forgotten (or not done properly) as part of the rush to do 'something' for the garden in the fall.

i) NOT WATERING PLANTS IN
    We can't always count on the weather to give us sufficiently deep soakings of rain that are used by the plant to protect themselves through the winter. Sometimes people consider cool, windy weather as a replacement to rain. Remember that a good soaking once a week is of benefit to all your woody plants from late September right through to Remembrance Day.
    ii) FERTILIZING PLANTS WITH A REGULAR WATER SOLUBLE TYPE FERTILIZER
    High nitrogen water soluble fertilizers (like Miracle-Gro) are marketed to show you how well they can assist plants to grow. What has to be remembered is that in the fall your plants are actually starting to hunker down for the winter, and really shouldn't be pushed into growing new leaves and shoots at this time. Consider enriching the soil in your beds with organic matter in the fall as a way to improve their growing ability next season.
    iii) PRUNING EVERGREENS AND SHRUBS IN THE FALL
    While dead or diseased branches should be removed at any time that they are seen, in general it is not a good idea to prune your evergreens and shrubs while the weather is still mild in the early fall. When a limb is pruned, your plants will want to push soft growth to replace it. This softer growth is more sensitive to winter injury.
    iv) WRAPPING EVERGREENS TOO EARLY AND NOT WRAPPING TREE BARK AT ALL
    To wrap, or not to wrap ... that is the question! There are a number of plants that are more susceptible to the drying effect of winter winds. These include, but aren't limited to, a number of evergreens like rhododendrons, hollies, euonymus, yews, alberta spruce, cypresses and many upright evergreens. Wrapping them doesn't 'keep them warm', but rather slows this dehydrating effect. The problem is that if the weather becomes mild and sunny in the dead of winter, it's possible that this same protective wrap can actually increase the temperature of the plant foliage, and hasten this moisture loss. The effect of this moisture loss isn't seen until spring (when the wrap is removed) and the plant which at first looks greenish turns rapidly to yellowish brown. In general tree wrapping should wait until the the daytime temperature is consistently below 7 or 8 degrees Celsius (and as soon as the weather is mild again in early spring - late March or so - the wrapping should be removed). Another alternative to winter wrapping is to consider apply a anti-dessicant spray like Wilt-Pruf to the foliage in mid to late October. Derived from pine resin, Wilt-Pruf works much like an anti-perspirant by slowing the rate of moisture loss from foliage and sensitive buds. Other uses include helping to keep your fresh greens, garlands and wreaths fresh at Christmas as well as used to limit moisture loss to newly planted plants in the spring.
    With the increase in UV radiation now present in our environment, there is one protective task that is often overlooked. Wrapping the trunks of thin skinned young trees (maple, linden, ornamental pear, and many others) with burlap or a protective tree wrap will help to lessen the ravages of winter sun scald and bark splitting injury. This little task can be done almost anytime in the fall once the leaves start to fall. When the bark starts to develop it's more 'corky' texture it's possible to discontinue this yearly practice.
    v) FORGETTING RODENT CONTROL
    Mice, voles and other rodents can cause considerable damage through the winter as they feast on plants like crabapples, serviceberry, euonymus, burning bush, mountain ash, roses, junipers and many others. They tend to make nests in areas where leaves collect and are first buried with snow, and often will find the space underneath low growing evergreens more than suitable too. Consider applying animal repellents (like Skoot) to the branches and lower bark, or lay out bait stations with rodent control to limit the damage from these pests.

Chelone, the kid and his food is a very difficult situation that does not just focus on his bratty mealtime behavior, but brings into question his past medical (over-drugged) experiences and how they affect him now. It also involves issues (in my view) of coddling him to excess. In addition, the role of Bonus Mom comes into question. As I say, not easy! Here is her description of dinnertime last night:

Reed is a great eater. Tonight we had Indian food that DH made (butter chicken, spinach stuff, a lentil dish, another chicken dish). Reed loved it. After trying to feed him a couple bites and him getting frustrated, I just plopped the bowl down in front of him and let him go to it with his fork.

He ate like a champ! He probably ate more than I would have fed him...

Meanwhile, at the other end of the table, SS was having a fit, staring out the window (his friend was coming over soon), crying, panting, and waving his arms around because it was "too spicy" (ok, one of the chicken dishes had some spice, the other 3 dishes were positively bland). After 20 minutes, Reed had eaten about 2x more than the 9yo. I had enough of the scene, and after I told him to stop making a scene 2x, I just took my plate and finished my dinner in the kitchen so I didn't have to watch. Of course, that meant that SS had a tantrum.

I am still miffed that Reed, at 14 mo., fed himself dinner and the 9yo had to be fed by his dad.

What gives? (If I was the only one there, the 9yo would just have his dinner taken away and get his next meal at breakfast - no deal, no debate, no snack, no discussion. But then, that would probably be considered out of line by DH. However, SS would not pull it on me again - I know that!)

(The meal is one of his favorites by the way!)
    My present suggestion is to shift the focus from food to manners, an area that I believe the parents can look at with some semblance of reason, without medical past entering into the picture.
    My response:
    Please and thank you, peaceful & happy discussions, no gesticulating and whining and tears, no monopolizing the conversation...or leave for your room and see you at breakfast, on time.

Pretend he is an unexpected guest in your home. Maybe even a vegan guest for whom you don't have the right foods. You'd allow a guest to select what he can eat and carry on politely with the others around him. Nothing extra prepared in the kitchen. No screaming and rudeness. Have high expectations for him. Ignore food talk and concentrate on other happy things. See where it leads. Would the guest be invited to return?

Sometimes it is FUN to be a LONG distance Mom! ;)

Lots of other stuff going on...with the Ontario Ombudsman calling us, French Club, Paying for our cat sitter, the list goes on.
    Ciao,
    'big/'bug

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think your advice is right on GB :) Here's how it goes at the Saucy house:

I cook xyz. You may eat anything from xyz that you like, as long as you politely leave enough for everyone (meaning: don't hog all the pasta because you don't like meatballs). If you say YUCK make FACES or any other RUDE gestures about the food served in this house, you will be expected to eat a big spoonful :) Jake found out he likes creamed spinach this way :)

If you go to bed hungry, it is of your own choosing :)

Having said that, I have come to realize that my daughter has a very bland palate and I try to take that into consideration when seasoning....but there are plenty of sauces and red pepper flakes that go into meals around here :)

Make it his choice. Kids make the right one when given a chance :)

Tell Sarah I eat by myself quite often.....I enjoy family time at other times of the day :) The kids always eat together in the kitchen.

I had a blast at Variegated Foliage today!!! I scored a redbud a robinia (contorted, white flowers, name to follow), corydalis "berry exciting", L. Brit Marie Crawford.....you get it.....I'll be in later with a more formal list :)

I have Magnolia "Yellow Lantern" and have yet to verify that it is actually yellow, LOL....plan on waiting for blooms apparently! I do enjoy the shape of the tree, itself, though.

I have to work now! Ack! I've got a few things running behind in the office and I want to take tonight to clean up loose ends and do a little dog hair removal :) I want to have a clean slate for planting over the weekend since my 14 yo will be in school next week :) Thanks for the tips, GB! They couldn't have come at a better time :)

TTYL.

Saucy

(I'll look for a far out photo of that garden, Deanne!)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

A question ... Is anyone else having the title of the thread staying blue after you have read it, instead of turning pink ? I am having a problem knowing if there is a new post since mine isn't changing.:-(
    I don't know if it is the GW site, or my computer ??

And while I am here, I want to send my sympathies to Eden. I am so sorry about your mother, Eden. Being so far apart would be espacially hard. I was very fortunate to live in the same town as my mother when she became so ill. Now I am far removed from all the rest of my kin, and know that eventually I will be getting bad news about one or the other, and too far away to respond.

Excuse me for not keeping up with all the activities. It has become difficult for me to do so, but I do read all.
    It makes me happy to see when others are having a good day, and sorry when they are not.

It rather overwhelms me to read of all the business. I do so little any more.

Marian

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I haven't had that problem Marian. I hope you enjoy a colorful Autumn with your beautiful trees!

Making spareribs for DH tonight, with mashed potatoes. I seldom make such a heavy meal any more, but he's skinny and enjoys this.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I'm experiencing the same problem Marian so it must be GW. Just made a lasagna and slid it into the oven. That's dinner along with salad and garlic bread for Bella and I. Bella's kept me busy today but I hope to compose a post before the day is done if my energy holds out :) She's sitting in the 'uncooperative chair' right now...

We have a bell too. Just a small one hanging on the house beside the front door for our doorbell.

Eden

• chelone
    15 years ago

I'm nearly 50. I grew up in household where proper manners and etiquette were expected and reinforced at every turn. Adults had "dibs"; you screwed up and an Adult called you on it, you "took notice and smartened up", if you ran home and whined about it you likely got a second dose from Mum or Dad! Sometimes it seemed grossly unfair but in a way it was comforting because there was never a question about what was expected and what the consequences of transgressions would be. I am shocked at how so many children are permitted to behave "nowadays" and the litany of (what I consider to be) "excuses" accorded them.

Whining, hystrionics at the dinner table that continued after ONE warning? "Baseball rules" kicked in; 3 strikes and you're OUT, immediate banishment to the bedroom in the household where I grew up! If I had expected a guest and persisted in the behavior (following the warning) the guest would have been informed of my infraction and the play date had been cancelled because of it. I would have been required to APOLOGIZE to them for their inconvenience, too; quite possibly in person and at the time of the infraction, too! There was never any question about who was in charge. The only one who was "punished" by Skyler's obnoxious behavior was your daughter, 'bug. He behaved dreadfully and "got away with it", there were NO consequences. Times sure have changed and I'm not sure it's been for the better.

There is a "naughty chair" in my home. And there are rules here. I learned that one the hard way, when the bratty kid of a friend persisted in tormenting an elderly cat. It pissed me off and the friend chalked it up to "toddler behavior". WRONG-O! "My house, my rules" and what has really surprised me is how thrilled my friends' kids are to come here, lol. This is a cool and fun place, but if you act like a dink it can be tantamount to any one of Dante's levels of Hell. (bbwwaahhh!).

That goes for visiting Idyllettes, too! ;)

15 years ago

Marian - I have been having that problem too - I noticed it yesterday at some point... it's very annoying!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I have reported the color problem to the administration. Hopefully it will be solved soon.

15 years ago

I'd bet that at least part of Skler's bad behavior is that the novelty of a new brother and a new 'mother' are starting to wear off and the realization that he now has to share his father's attention with these people permanently - and that means less attention for him - has sunk in :-) Reed was undoubtedly - and deservingly - getting praise for eating well while he - Skyler - was getting (deserved) flak. From a insecure, spoiled and jealous 9-year-old's persepective, that probably merited a temper-tantrum! :-) If he had been sent to bed with no supper, he probably would have felt that to be unfair and a reason for resentment of Sarah, Reed and maybe his father too. Sarah certainly has some unenviable tricky waters to negotiate there! I like the 'naughty chair' idea. But I know zilch about raising a kid - and find the whole process scary!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

No problem with the changing font color here either, but I did notice it one day last week and just thought it was my computer.

I just got in from a bunch of errands that included an hour walk...yaaahooo! Dinner will be fresh, wild caught swordfish and butter and sugar corn from one of the local farmstands. So that I may give proper attention to the corn, I will cook and eat that first then toss the fish on the grill. LOL, there's an order to everything.

Chelone, whenever I make a comment about the deplorable behavior of most kids "nowadays" I'm told I don't know what it's like because I don't have any. Allrighty then...whatever. One of the behaviors I see running rampant these days is interrupting adult conversations. Who here would ever have gotten away with that?

OK, corn is done and it waits for no one.

Later,

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Ok, so I have DS and his friend in my closet recording a vocal track, because of the sound-deadening quality of my wardrobe. Perhaps this is how U2 got their start . Ive been asked if I could be quiet . No problem-got a beer to toast in the 3 day weekend and I can hear faint musical tones drifting down the stairs.

I really think that a key to keeping that garden manageable is weed smothering teniques, installed early spring in my case, and as automated a watering system as possible, at least for those of us on smaller suburban size lots. Cardboard with mulch over it has worked great for me with the weed issue. If I dont have cardboard I use newspaper.

Yay Mary ! Queen of the Powder RoomHow exciting that you are to embark on a design project- I love that whole creation process , which is probably why things get moved around so often here- if you dont have room for a new bed, just re-do an old one !

Got me a mess in the kitchen too Chelone- but turning on the water at the present would disturb the music studio upstairs. What a great fenceand you remind me that I need a haircut, and I really need new glasses, Im starting to turn my head at awkward angles to see what Im looking at. And speaking of hair, I daresay Manny has had a small trim, the dreds look a mite shorter to me.

Hi Wendy ! I would love to have the fragrance of my Brug wafting into the house, if only it had flowers ! The clock is ticking. I conduct daily inspections to no avail.

OK, the recording studio has closed up shop, going to go clean the kitchen..

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Saucy...every time I have brought up this thread, I have read a little of your poem and enjoyed it more and more. I find the Keats version the winner of the two you posted. Interesting story about the two poems. I love that first line.

I'm off to post to the new thread.... :-) pm2

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Sue, interrupting adults? Why we 3 weren't allowed to talk AT ALL at the table! It was a pretty glum household let me tell you....

I'm not sure I agree Woody. Skyler still wants to marry Sarah and keeps suggesting that DSIL split from her to make it possible! I think he was trying to confirm house rules after being away for several weeks. His Dad is one to reason with him (or attempt to) and Sarah simply ACTS, no debate. He understands that. Honestly, I think all the talk and attempts at reason make him more anxious than he already is. The role of a stepmom is a tough one. Yet DSIL must deal constantly with the ex too...and nothing is simple for him. Enough of this talk! This is their anniversary weekend and they are off camping as a threesome. (Skyler is with his Mom. She wanted him for the start of school. Hehehe)