Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Early August in NH - Photo Heavy

deanneart
16 years ago

Here are a some photographs from the early August gardens here. The borders are putting on a last big flush of flowers and the containers are looking pretty lush right now.

The Pastel Classic daylilies in the front of the driveway garden with Russian Sage. One of my favorite combinations. I pruned all my sedums this year and they are looking nice and full with no flopping over.

{{gwi:173635}}

This combination of David phlox and ÂWhite Swan is looking pretty right now

{{gwi:173636}}

Some lilies

{{gwi:173644}}

Hemerocalis ÂFinal Touch with Heliopsis

{{gwi:173646}}

{{gwi:173647}}

The patio looking at the terraces.

{{gwi:173648}}

The few Casa Blancas the rodents left me. I love the look of these against the Actaeas

{{gwi:173649}}

The dahlias are finally beginning to bloom in the mailbox garden. This shot is looking east toward the container garden.

{{gwi:173650}}

{{gwi:173652}}

{{gwi:173654}}

Some container groupings

{{gwi:173656}}

{{gwi:173657}}

{{gwi:173658}}

{{gwi:173659}}

And some close up of some of the arrangements. This one is a study in foliar textures.

{{gwi:173660}}

Sunshine in a container

{{gwi:173661}}

{{gwi:173662}}

{{gwi:173664}}

{{gwi:173665}}

{{gwi:173666}}

{{gwi:173667}}

I love the texture of the Coprosma and Bacopa together with the Plectranthus

{{gwi:173668}}

I wasnÂt in love with this coleus ÂIndia Frills early on but now I just love it. The texture is quite unique an so interesting with those small leaves.

{{gwi:173670}}

And my new absolute favorite coleus ÂMariposa with Colocasia ÂBlack MagicÂ. This coleus is a fast grower and enormous. ItÂs also in almost full sun.

{{gwi:173673}}

OK I guess IÂd better quit for now or this tread wonÂt open. LOL

Deanne

Comments (15)

• babs_clare
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Holy canoli!! Deanne these pics are fabulous! Umm-nevermind about buying that book lol I think you could have *written* the book; ) I have to come back and soak in these images of beauty later today. Just SO beautiful!!! Thanks

~Babs

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Spectacular photos Deanne! They make me want to rush out, buy a fancy schmancy new camera and take a photography class !! At what point did you prune your sedums ? And what is the name of the second Dahlia close-up ? Thanks for sharing these-I bet you could even make the stuff you don't want us to see look good !
    Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Babs and Kathy!

Kathy, I pruned the sedums in mid-June when they were about eight to ten inches tall. This is the second season I've done that and am really happy not to have to stake the darned things. I'd only done the Autumn Joy last year and this year did the Matrona as well. I'm quite happy with the results. ~~ that dahlia is 'Le Baron'. I've got three nice clumps of that now so can probably share a tuber of it with you in the fall when I dig them if you'd like. Just remind me if you'd like one.

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Wonderful Deanne! I've looked through these 3 times already and will be back for another look or 2. I need you to remind me to prune my sedums next year. I just chopped off purple emperor because it got too tall and kept falling into the path. I really love that coleus mariposa! Everything looks just great. Babs is right, you don't need the book, you could write one yourself! Thanks for taking the time to post all of these pics. I know it's time consuming but it's much appreciated!

Eden

• deanneart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eden, thanks!!!! You must have been posting the same time I was. Do you prune your asters??? I prune the sedums the same time I do the asters. I'll be sure to post when I do it next year though. I'll have to get a pic of the Matronas. They really look good this year. Not as tall but NO STAKES! ~~ Remind me to get you some of that Mariposa coleus next spring as I'm sure I'll have plenty, LOL.

I sure wish we could all get together tonight and sip a beverage and talk of plants and things. I'm sitting in the dining room after being out in the 92 degree, humid day all day and am currently sipping a gin and tonic and enjoying every sip but it would be so much nicer if I had my garden friends here to chat and enjoy the evening.

OK I'm thinking I'm going to have a soak in the hot tub then throw something together for dinner.

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Deanne, I do prune my asters, usually around the beginning of July, but it was a little later this year. I seem to be late on everything this summer. I'll remember to do the sedums at the same time next year. I'd love some of the Mariposa coleus next spring! I'm awaiting my Saturday night bottle of wine. David went to pick me up some. I would love it if we could all have wine night together too.

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I sipped wine last night...but heck, two nights in a row isn't a bad thing, right? Today was a FABULOUS weather day. I hope you get it tomorrow!

Deanne, I don't believe you. You couldn't have been away for a week in California and away at IU4 both and have your gardens up to such high standards!

• just_t
    16 years ago

WOW! Absolutely stunning! Going back to look again!

T.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I think that Deanne must have a gardener to help her keep everything so perfect looking. Seriously, though Deanne I must appluade your skill at keeping your garden looking so lovely. Your containers are all so incredibly interesting. Is that a variegated hibiscus? That 'Mariposa' has wonderful coloring. Thanks for sharing your August garden with us.

Michelle

• deanneart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again everyone! It is such a delight to be able to share this with all of you who 'get it'.

Michelle, LOL, nope, no help although I surely wish I did have help at least one day a week with the deadheading and stripping the dying daylily foliage. ~~Did you mean the tall plant in the fourth from the last photo? That's Abutilon 'Souvenir de Bonne'. I saw it first at Sue's last year and loved it. Hers was about seven feet tall and marvelous.

Bug, I've been deadheading and cleaning up eight to ten hours a day since I got home from CA and I've only just gotten the front almost finished. It's a real battle to catch up after having been gone almost two weeks. By the time I get the watering done it seems the day is almost done. I'm all about more foliage and less flowers right now! LOL

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

I wish I could sip wine. Between the antibiotics and the narcotics I doubt it would be a good idea.

Deanne, it all looks perfect as usual. Makes me want to run out and spend a week cleaning up my mess...lol. I love that coleus you've paired with the Acalpha. And that Mariposa coleus is to die for.

Nice job!

Sue

• bellarosa
    16 years ago

Wow! Both your gardens and containers are beautiful! Do you overwinter your containers? Also, where do you purchase such beautiful coleus. I really like Mariposa - which in Spanish means butterfly!

• deanneart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Sue and Bellarosa,

Sue, I was planning on getting some cuttings of both of those coleus for you. Everytime I see that Mariposa I think of you because I know its just your sort of thing. I wish you could sip wine also. I sure hope you get well soon.

Bellarosa, Yes I overwinter the majority of the plants in the containers. I save all the fuchsias, cannas, callas etc. I've been a hopeless coleus collector for quite a while now and have about 45 cultivars of coleus that I keep under lights in the winter time. I buy most of the new ones from Rosy Dawn Gardens on line. They have beautiful plants.
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Im late in catching up on all the beauty these threads are showing off -- Deanne, I love to feel Im wandering your yard vicariously and virtually! I am always stunned by the artistry and how things look so magnificent - I know you put a lot of hard, hard work daily into it all and it shows.

Wish I could have been there sipping a G&T w/ya and picking your brains over all the wonderful combos you've got going!

--Cindy