Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisez10

Idyll #454 Parachuting Into a Perfect Fall

denisez10
14 years ago

...getting parents settled in new digs, chopping wood, shuffling flower borders, taming Betty Corning, finding the perfect chicken coop color, taking long special walks, starting a new school year, finding new ways to approach tedious tasks/employment, mastering the art of Indian cooking, practicing musical instruments, Mendocino meanderings, checking out the new Irving Penn photo exhibit at the Getty...what am I leaving out?

Comments (100)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hot Tamales , its Babs ! Hiya Babs ! Im afraid I dont have time to linger tonight , but I am taking the trusty laptop with me to Socal, so hope to check-in from time to time.

Loved Deannes H-birds, Denises various plant pics, Normas link and so much moreI am taking my small Nikon down- the smoke from the fires and heat of the desert dont promise many good photo ops.

Back to WFF I dare you guys to have a duplicate of this I was trying to be artistic ,lol.

Hope to check in sometime tomorrow --waves to all , and ((Woody))

Kathy in Napa {{gwi:173833}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Morn'n, it's dark out. The sun is coming up later and later. One of the signs of fall that I don't enjoy is losing the light. So what is on the calendar for today for everyone? We have a tree arriving to be planted today. An arborvitae. We bought one last fall and in the spring, half the tree died. They tell me it was the weather last year and it happened to a lot of arborvitaes. I still don't get how it got through the whole winter looking fine and then in April it started dying. So a replacement is arriving today and I will be happy to have that checked off the list.

Denise, do you actually have a wall around your garden? How did I miss that? I was just reading the other day that a walled garden will hold fragrance and concentrate it more. Do you have a lot of fragrant plants? ....I actually do have a few self seeders. If they are reasonable and I really really like them enough that I don't care how many they recreate I'll have them. I was afraid to use Verbena bonariensis but I liked that airy quality so much I finally broke down and got one. After hearing Marie's experience, I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake. I always had cosmos reseed every year, but I suddenly got tired of them and ripped them all out before they set seed last year. I have Aquilegia and Violas that I continue to be happy with the increase, too.

Anita....I've been going to the same hairdresser for about 12 years now. She is right down the street and I am happy with her work 90% of the time. We both talk a lot. [g] ..... Thanks for reminding me about drying the hydrangeas. I was thinking if I reduce the water in the vase to a few inches, they might dry that way.

Norma....I'm sorry about your friend's news. 60% chance of remission is pretty good. ....Thanks for the link. I also loved the Caladiums. The Yorkie hiding in the 'heads' was such a cute shot.

Deanne....what a fun day you had! Love those hummer pics. We haven't had any this year at all.

Hello Babs! :-) Nice catch on the hummer pic. I hadn't noticed the flower showing through the wing.

Very 'artistic' Dahlia photo. :-)
    Have a good trip, Kathy! :-)

Have a sunny Thursday, all. :-)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

There's a pink haze on the horizon here at the moment. Another pretty day expected here!

Lovely "artsy" dahlia shot Kathy!

Today is DD's and DSIL's third anniversary. So much has been packed into those short years, both joy and sorrow. I am trying still to think of something to say or do for them today, but haven't come up with the perfect idea so far.

This week DD received the package with the very special quilt made by her friend on a forum for young mothers. Each of the Moms contributed fabric for the quilt in Reed's honour and it is "beautiful and amazing" I am told. She hopes to photograph it soon for me. They opened it together on Tuesday evening and it was an emotional time of course.

On the home front I have been asked if I would like to store my coleus at a nursery this winter! The owner would like to use them for cuttings. Seems like a FINE plan to me! Just think, no bother and fuss and new plants next spring. He's even offering some sort of payment, though that is not a factor in my decision. I probably have only about 8 plants total he'd want.

I've been given a brochure/map of about 25 nurseries and gardens to tour on the nearby Bruce Peninsula. This would be a perfect weekend for visiting a few of them, but then again, there's chips to shovel and the barn to prepare for winter's wood. We'll have to see how we feel when the time comes. I'm also thinking about the new garden bed of ornamental reeds & grasses. I seem to have more plants than space for this! I've been planning it as I weed in the afternoons. Meanwhile, DH is occupied with course preparation, but is still full of stories from his HS reunion. Obviously it fascinated him.

Time to deal with the cat litter...and so the day begins!
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Good morning!

I am reminded every day that I am out in the driveway garden that I owe Kathy a shot of my upright catmint, but never a camera with me! It's not the prettiest thing after being defoliated...but it's still standing proud!

Anita, the stock tanks are pretty cool. I'm using those old galvanized wash tubs. I found them in the the basement. Hmm...maybe I should walat with the camera :)

Woody, I hope I can entertain you properly - another reason for photos. I was thinking of taking a trip out to that little bridge garden that I visited last year at this time. It's full of dahlias and puts on quite the show at the end of the season. Day trips remind me of you and Randy.

((Norma)) - I've yet to see what's on the slide show, but it's on my list :)

The hummingbird is so fun, Deanne! I love getting to see it up close and personal. I hope you will frame these (you could sell the prints for sure!!!)

GB, I like your grass garden idea and have had something similar in mind since Kathy mentioned it as an idea last year. I nixed the idea of having it close to the deck (I am afraid of fire - does that seem silly?) and have found a spot that I think will work.

Have a great day, everyone!

Saucy

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Woody - You know you can count on us for inanities and lots of pics - hopefully they will be diverting to you - but I find myself without words to express how sad I am to hear you've had such tough news -- I hope we can amuse and provide you with other things to think about when you wish to. We are thinking of u ...

Wow - more incredible photos from Deanne, artistic combos from Kathy....and a Babs sighting, LOL.

Norma - I loved both those slideshows; of coruse Im enamoured of the heads - I've seen them photographed in other places when browsing for head planters -- I wonder if that tropic one is the person who is now selling those creations online? Really great, great place -- a great fantasy getaway I would think. I always wonder though what those succulent planters with 5 or more together look like at the end of 3 or 4 months -- mine grow higgely piggely at different rates and always end up looking like they have hangovers, LOL...(not such great combos after 3 months together, ya know?)...

No time for pics to offer of others gardens today --

cindy

• denisez10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This photographer's blog today reminded me so much of Deanne chucking her work for the day to hang out with the hummers, the "pause for beauty" mentioned in Mr. Perry's blog. And I can't believe I remembered how to embed a link...

PM, yes, I have a walled garden. Sounds grand put that way, but in truth we're talking "fenced-in yahd. ;^) The only time I notice an overpowering scent (the good floral kind!) is when the jasmine blooms...at my neighbor's house across the street!

I thought the quilt had already arrived, but the timing does seem perhaps better now. Such a deal with the coleus! Wouldn't it be great if other idyllers could find similar local arrangements with the tender stuff.

Great garden slide show, Norma. For me, a little tropical goes a long way, kinda like having a rich dessert cart for a garden instead of an entire meal, but that's a matter of personal preference, and it's all regionally relative. Maybe it looks "rich" to me because I know the water needs such a garden has. I'll bet that garden is in Florida, so choice of plants makes total sense. What a gorgeous show garden, and those head sculptures! Thank you.

Here's Marty's high-tech method of staying cool on the rowing machine:

{{gwi:173835}}

Must make an appt to chat with a hair cutter today ;)

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good evening

Woody - would lots of chicken pictures help keep you distracted? Our thoughts will be with you with all that lies ahead. Such decisions for the future must be so hard.

Norma - sorry to hear about your friend.

Deanne - the hummers are completely, absolutely amazing.

Yo Babs!! Did you know I was just in your neck of the woods? Perhaps you could sense our presence driving through. We arrived back this afternoon from Cedar Point where David announced he had had the most fun he thought possible in one day. He and Annie rode all the scariest roller coasters imaginable and had a blast. DH and I enjoyed watching from afar, took photos, and marvelled that both children are so fearless. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was fabulous and just being away together was simply fun and relaxing.

Tomorrow I have a garden job in the AM, then I hope to find some time for my own gardens. Plus, I have the roof to the chicken coop to work on. The weather looks set to be beautiful and I can't wait.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good evening friends, greetings from the smokey and hot environs of Socal, and a wave towards the west to Denise. One does forget how really and truly ugly some of the inland areas of southern Calif can be.
    Tomorrow we have the funeral business to attend to and will then perhaps head out to visit a friend in Palm Springs, about 30 miles from here..waves to all !

Kathy in Calimesa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Notes on the Wrecking Crew:
    1.) they are very responsive and "watch me" garners instant attention and strong eye contact. Way more reliably than Rex!
    2.) they do not understand that compliance with a command also entails its continuance until they are released from it. But once corrected and given the command they seem to say to themselves, "Oh yeah, I remember this one".
    3.) they live in a city and they don't have a territory of their own. They will s-it anywhere and everywhere. Rex prefers to plant his calling cards off in the woods or in very tall grass... I prefer that to the middle of the lawn where I have to remove it with a shovel.
    4.) they don't quite have the "sit before the door opens and remain so until the human exits or enters and then says you may do so, as well" protocol down pat. But they're willing!
    5.) cats are a fascination and charging them gets a strong reprimand and a return to a "down stay". They don't understand that, at all!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Phoebe:
    1. We never taught the "watch me" command with her. It really didn't seem necessary because unlike most dogs I know, she looks us in the eye. I find lately that she also doesn't pay attention and makes assumptions about what we want her to do...so perhaps we should have taught her the command.
    2. Continuance until released...This is a very important one! I'm working at it, but DH is not. :(
    3. Phoebe is better at this than many, but I do clean up around here some of the time. Winter is worst as she doesn't travel far from the door many times.
    4. I am VERY much in favor of this mannerly behaviour because it is an issue of safety, especially on stairs here. DH doesn't get it. :(
    5. Cat charging is a continual issue...but lessening.

Today I must attack various household jobs (dishes, cat litter, etc), do day 2 on the treadmill, then make breakfast. After that comes a trip to the doctor and after that, photos for passport renewal. Since I don't expect the pictures to be beautiful, I'm OK with it.

Last night I managed a bit more weeding until dark.

Hi Babs! Would love to know how the beginning of school goes for your DH and the boys... and YOU! As a sign of the times, grandson Skyler has an assignment today to bring 10 photos from his summer vacation...ON A DISC! Also he is to bring a bag of 100 items, not all the same. I can't imagine what the lesson will be!!! There are 29 kids, grades 5&6, each with 100 items! OYYY.

Ivy is 4 months old as of yesterday...and teething. She has mastered the art of rolling over, so she is at the same stage as Phoebe. ;)

Morning is breaking,
    'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Denise, I love the row machine!!! Is that at your house? I could row the day away....

I'll have to try that method of keeping cool, lol.

One of my friends from high school is flying into Boston today for an interview and then back out tonight. I'm going to see if I can meet her for coffee. Should be fun.

That's all out of me. We're having a gorgeous stretch of weather and I'm trying to soak up every minute out of doors!

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Saw this and thought it fitting.

like King Sisyphus, gardeners forever keep rolling that rock up the hill, convinced we are progressing toward the day it will stay in place up there and not roll back on us, the day our gardens will be just as we want them.
    Arthur T. Vanderbilt, II

• chelone
    14 years ago

We haven't decided if we're going to call the place Camp BowWow or Heartbreak Ridge... . Since the Crew is now effectively in basic training. And having the time of their lives, I might add. They were in and out of the pond/wallow about 5 times yesterday but we had them dried off prety well by bedtime.

You ought to hear the helpmeet calling out the cadence as he and the mongrel horde fan out on a reconnaissane sweep of the Compound... . Last night he was using lines from the Clint Eastwood movie, "Heartbreak Ridge" while working with the dogs and I laughed and laughed because they were absolutely perfect. Esp. because he had the voice of Gunny Highway down to perfection. Lol.

The Wrecking Crew definitely know their basic commands though compliance is on more relaxed schedule than we expect. But, they really are creatures of habit and once they know what's expected from them they're capable of delivering the goods reliably. And that's the key to breaking through their knuckleheads. It's required 3 returns to their beds to make it clear that "down stay" means just that. (enforcing commands seems sisyphusian right now). ;)

I have been working with them individually on leash for short periods a couple of times a day, and they really seem to enjoy having the undivided attention of a humanoid. And I have studiously avoided using treats as rewards, spending more time patting and rubbing their ears and telling them what base and pathetic creatures they are. Interestingly, because they are city dogs and their owner is very busy they tend to immediately relieve themselves upon leaving the house. This is actually a very convenient thing, but I've found that leashing them and taking them to my idea of a more appropriate dumping ground is the way to keep them happy and the waste in the woods where it may decompose as it was meant to. I'm catchin' on!

Door etiquette is proving far easier than I imagined it would. It's proven an excellent exercise for maintaining a command. They want to go through the door badly and they are bright enough to understand that that won't happen until they're released, so they keep their hindquarters on the ground and their eyes rivetted on us. Everyone is released "in order" and by name... this has the added benefit of getting each one to actually listen for their name instead of acting in unison.

Haven't had much luck with training them to leave the cats alone. The cats prefer to melt away before detection and opportunities in the evening have been few. But Vera has been enjoying her breakfast on the feeding station while Spencer broke the fast out on the deck. Last night I left all the dogs inside and went out for some quiet, private time with the cats in the yard. I called for them and they all appeared within a minute. We sat on the lawn, did rollies, and a good deal of rubbing and some cuddling. Everyone was comfortably settled in with Mummy and Daddy for "lights out", so I don't think they're going to run away or anything like that.

Not much in the way of pictures yet, Woody, but I'll try to get some for you.

I loved the collection of heads in Norma's link and I'll bet that's a Florida garden, too. I don't get the whole cage thing around the patio area... couldn't detect if it was screened or what but figured it must be. At any rate it reminded me of the description of the resort hotel in "Jurassic Park", lol.

Liked Marties 'do rag, too. :)

OK, time for more coffee and some listing of mandatory errands to be accomplished before the summer people are up and mobile.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Mornin'!

Yesterday as I was weeding a friend dropped by and asked to take Ms Phoebe for a walk along the nearby Grand River. They spent an hour together and she came home with lots of "seed dispersal" material. ;) She particularly enjoys a car ride, and in this case she gets to sit up front because of the bike and major kite equipment stored in the back of the vehicle.

Last night was French Club once again, so dinner was "out". Handy for me! I guess we're slowly developing a Fall routine.

There is just so much I need to accomplish. Perhaps that is one reason I don't sleep well. The garden is a major thing, but then too I have a book to complete before we go see the play, another one I am enjoying (Mary's suggestion of The Guernsy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society), lesson plans to write out for DS's work, photos to organise, a photo album for Skyler of his trip here, etc etc etc... Oh well, I enjoy all of it whenever it gets done! It's the housework stuff that bores me. Then there's the treadmill...

I need to add to photos here. We definitely need MORE!
    'bug

Clematis seedheads
    {{gwi:173837}}

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Good morning Idylls!

Yesterday I met my friend in Boston. I did not bring my camera because I find it cumbersome, and I think I've decided I need a little point and shoot to tuck in my purse for such occasions. We saw two girls taking each other's pictures by the frog pond in Boston Common and my friend offered to take their picture (turned out they were sisters visiting from L.A.) and they took our picture and promised to email it to us.

So it was a nice day involving leaf casts in the morning, honey collection around noon, and visiting Boston Common's public garden in the afternoon. I came home to a nice grilled chicken salad. All in all a very nice day.

Today I hope to check off some items on the "to do" list.

Talk to y'all later :)

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good Morning Idylls, a toasty day on the agenda here in the desert, and we are heading off to Palm Springs later today to visit with BILS and an old friend who lives there better him than me ! Palm Springs can be beautiful in the winter but its pretty unpleasant this time of year. I will try to get some pics of classic desert vignettes for yall while Im there- and Saucy, I kept my previos little Nikon for just the type of occasions you describe. That is the camera I am traveling with now. It takes very decent pics and is easy to schlepp around.

Chelone, It sounds like you will be returning the visiting mongrels in better
    condition than they were when they arrived-though that sort of thing is unlikely to stick if the their parents dont care to enforce the new rules imposed at the compound.

Ok, time to go to the lobby to get another cup of the swill that passes for coffee, though I am considering heading next door to McDonalds because there is really no way their coffee could be worse that this stuff--this appears to be one of the few places where there is not a Starbucks every few blocks.

Later folks ,waves to all !

Kathy in the Desert

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

We ad an unexpected visitor hanging out on the back porch all day yesterday!

{{gwi:173838}}
    (I need to vacuum the walls out there!)

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Hi all,

Well we are having yet another fantastic weather day here. I think the highs will be in the low 80s with low humidity. Brilliant! Yesterday evening Doug and I attended a wedding for the son of our across the street neighbor. This is the family who just lost the dad to cancer end of July so it was a bittersweet occasion but overall a very happy renewing event. The young man purchased the house from his parents last year so the young couple will stay our neighbors. We now have two young thirties couples living across the street from us and its nice to see the neighborhood being renewed with lovely young people.

Kathy, great to hear from you. I so agree with you about living in a desert. Not my thing although a lot can be done with creative xeriscaping. Looking forward to photos from the desert and I love the artsy dahlia photograph Very pretty!

Saucy, sounds like you had a great day. Any photos of the new leaf castings?

Bug, I really love clematis seed heads. They are so pretty. Great photo! Ill add some photos to the end of this post for you.

Chelone, I ROTFL over, "The mongrel horde". I misread it as "The Mongol Horde" and visualized hordes of nomadic barbarian horsemen riding down the compound.

Norma, the King Sisyphus quote is right on target! LOL

Mary, how about some photos of the chicken coop and gardens?

Denise, loved the blog about pausing for beauty" it is truly necessary to just take time to feed the soul.

How great to see Babs and hello to PM, Anita and Norma and all the Idyllers!

Here are some photos from this morning per Bugs request.

My new favorite coleus standard, this is Lancelot Velvet Mocha and it think it looks like a mini Japanese Maple.
    {{gwi:150647}}

The white brug is beginning to put on a show
    {{gwi:173839}}

{{gwi:173842}}

This container in the driveway is looking so neat! Kathy, check out how tall that papyrus is now.
    {{gwi:173843}}

{{gwi:173844}}

Have a great day all!
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Hello Idylls

Woody - we see bats at night swooping over the pool and I always think how cool they are. Do you know what type your little visitor is?

Norma - I love the King Sisyphus quote!

GB - glad you are enjoying the Guernsy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Yesterday I read Tuesdays with Morrie - a quick and thought provoking read. I'm contemplating my book pile to decide what to begin this evening.

I came home from the market this morning with bags of lovely local produce and I'm looking forward to creating soemthing culinary. DH has requested dinner from the grill. I've had success grilling corn this season so that will feature, plus grilled Eggplant and Tomato stacks, Vidalia onion in some form and a big salad. Last night I made one with arugula and pomegranite that was a surprising hit. Summer cooking is so much fun!

Mary

• chelone
    14 years ago

I like bats! we really like going out at dawn and dusk and watching the spectacular aeonautic displays they put on daily.

Woody, do you have issues with that dreaded "white nose" fungus that's been sweeping across the bat colonies in the Northeast region of the USA? I know there are very grave worries about the long range ramifications this very poorly understood affliction may have on long-established bat communities.

• denisez10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Saucy, a half hour on that rowing monster and I'm completely knackered. Duncan is the rower, but we all use it. Last night Mitch did 15 minutes, after which I started chatting with him, but he said, "I can't hear you -- there's too much blood rushing to my head right now," then he turned the hose on over his head.

I don't know what you've been told, mongrel horde does what they're told! What a hilarious canine boot camp account.

Never occurred to me that if one's property is extensive enough, there would be no daily sheizen patrols. Being on a small lot, I'm religious on this point and obsessively dispose of fresh "calling cards," which Ein leaves at various favorite spots to keep it interesting for me. C'mon, with the right attitude, it can be on par with searching for seashells at the beach or an Easter egg hunt! When I fall behind on this chore, it ain't pretty. Couple weeks back, Ein tricked me and used the front walkway around twilight, the sneaky devil, which Marty's shoes found with deadly accuracy leaving for work the next morning, two days in a row, around 5 a.m.ish. I must have been "off my feed" because those same two days I plunged off the front porch, missing the steps entirely, landing on the hard bricks. Both times it was approx 6:30 a.m.ish, not a soul in sight. Made me laugh out loud and then sheepishly look around for witnesses. No witnesses, no broken bones, so I picked myself up and limped back inside to feed the cats. The original cement porch was redone in brick by the previous owner, and the steps are irregular, not proportioned to normal footfalls, but in 20 years I'd never fallen. Then, boom, twice in two days. Kind of a Groundhog Day for stepping in dog business and falling off porches...

Deanne, I'm jealous of your weather. Getting mighty tired of ours. The house stays surprisingly cool in these high temps, even with no AC, but it's just the breaking into a sweat with the slightest movement that gets tiresome. That coleus standard is a ringer for a JM -- wonderful.

Hope the little guy made it back to the bat cave, Woody, and that his nose didn't have the dreaded "white nose" syndrome. We still keep our subscription to Bat Conservation Int'l and have since Dune joined over a decade ago. A broom is now in position at the back door, since it's the season when all walkways are festooned with webs during the night and must be cleared for safe passage in the morning. Every year it seems there's more spiders than the last year.

Further along in the invader dept, Marty came home from night shift this a.m. to a massive outbreak of ants in the kitchen in search of water, the first really big attack this summer, so everything was off the counters and cleaned by the time I was up. He thinks the ants and I are in cahoots ;)

This was the best of a bunch of photos since it's already too bright, a phygelius starting to bloom. The iresine behind it stays in the ground year-round, as does that dark cordyline which is recovering from near-fatal snail damage. There's a Euphorbia mellifera barely visible behind the iresine, much happier now since I moved the canna that was smothering it a few weeks ago. The chartreusy feathery spire tied to the little support on the left is one of the three new Monterey cypresses, Cupressus citriodora, to privacy screen this side -- years down the road. Supposedly slow growing to 30 feet.

{{gwi:173845}}

Sounds like good solid plans are in taking shape for the day in idyll households. Mary, my version of summer cooking last night was standing in front of the fridge to grab a few bites of boiled chicken, all motivation lost in the heat...

Yesterday's accomplishment was seeing my folks move closer to moving out of their multi-level condo and into a really nice mobile home park, great location near some wetlands in a good neighborhood. A deposit was made and wheels set in motion. Now they just need to sell the condo. Real estate, amazingly enough, has started to move briskly again, and another mobile home they had a deposit on was snapped up from under them for cash.

I see Chelone is worried about white nose syndrome too. How cool to see such amazing creatures every day!

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Chelone. I enjoy hearing the antics of the wrecking crew. The visual of the helpmeet and the cadence of heatbreak ridge with them makes me smile.

Denise, I enjoyed the blog also and the photo of Marties cooling system. My DH uses that one too.

Bug, I am a bit overwhelmed at the things that need doing here before winter. Unfortunately my energy level is down right now. I need to work on that first.

Kathy , I love the color combo in your artsy shot. Hope you are enjoying time spent with family members.

Saucy, I didn't realize you lived anywhere near Boston. I hope you will share the emailed pic with us.

Deanne that coleus standard is very nice. Love anything with burgandy foliage. I just bought a purple smoke bush "Velvet Cloak".

Woody it took me a minute to see that it was a bat. I have seen one on our porch a few years ago.

Mary your grilled dinner sound yummy. Your trip to the Rock n Roll hall of fame and watching the kids on the rides sounded fun too. It's great to see them really let go isn't it.

Our grandson Jake played in marching band at a Cardnials game a couple of days ago.

It rained a slow steady rain here all night. I was thankful. I was awake at 2am however. I moved to the couch and turned the history channel on opened the window to listen to the rain, so was lulled back to sleep after awhile. Still raining off and on and no ambition. Tomorrow I will be wacthing our good friends grandchildren for half a day, so maybe I should reserve what energy I have LOL.

Norma

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

OOOH! Neat bat! We watch them at dusk most every evening. There's a bat house on our barn, but no bats live in it. I know neighbours have them in their attics but happily we don't.

Lancelot Velvet Mocha is lovely and your papyrus is even taller now. Looks like Jack's bean stalk! I'm so glad nice folk are gravitating to your neighbourhood. Maybe the wisteria hater next door should sell quick. ;)

Kathy, I think desert gardens can be very beautiful! I know I'd need to totally rethink gardening if we were to move though.

Denise, I heard another rumor about how to remove ants from your garden. They say to spread corn meal on the surface and wait 2 weeks. It seems they carry it back to the nest and then can't digest it. Sounds sad, but we have BIG ant hills here, usually under a valued plant. I'm going to try it. I'd be willing to leave a bit on the counter for them too. ;) And by the way, I have 2 phygelius that I think I'll try to overwinter here. I guess I just cut them back and wait for spring?

This morning we got various errands accomplished, some of them even indoors! One I'm very pleased with has to do with laundry room organization. After many years of frustration, we actually located a spot for hanging clothes that are dry, ironed or whatever, waiting for the trip upstairs. So inexpensive and so practical! YEAH!

{{gwi:173847}}

Yes, I know it isn't beautiful...but I'm pleased with it.

Onward!
    'bug

• chelone
    14 years ago

Handsome is as handsome does!
    Never was a good hoss in a bad color.

Sometimes solving the problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it more attractive. Remind me of this in the future, OK?

Received pictures of THTTF today and am horrified at the extent of the neglect... rotting sill, siding that refuses to accept paint, furniture/contents that require sifting/attention... I want to throw up. But this isn't the time to sell and even if it was we have an attachment to the place.

Feeling really muddled and out of sorts, it's probably best that I take the idiots outside for a bit... watching dogs "at work" is a pretty good reminder that there are more important things in life than my problems.

Wish my laundry room looked like that one!

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I'm thinking that an invading mongol horde would approach the compound from the rear entrance.

V, screwing around on the computer when she should be doing other things

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning all,

Yet another beautiful day is in store for us here. The only downside I can see is these warm temps and low humidity make for very dry conditions in the garden and Im going to have to water the lawns and borders until we get some rain. Not a problem, Ive just gotten out of the habit of the daily round with hose and sprinkler because weve had such a wet summer. This year Im letting the borders fade to brown on their own and am not feeling any need to get in there and strip out dying foliage. There is a definite fall feel in the air lately and I guess I wont be too sad to see the seasons change. Im looking forward to doing some painting and getting back into my bird photography.

Woody cool bat pic! I love the little acrobats. We watch them in the evenings here as well. Wonderful creatures. ~~ I lol to see that I am not the only one who vacuums the outside as well. I clean off the alcove on my breezeway from time to time.

Mary, how was your grill fest last evening? Sounds like it would be wonderful.

Denise, LOL about the front walk slap stick. All I could think was it was a good thing that it was Martys shoe that found Eins deposit and not your body when you took your tumble off the porch. Why is it, I wonder, that we are so embarrassed when we fall down? Even if we are hurt we leap to our feet and tell the world we are fine. ~~ Love the photo with the phygelius going into bloom. Id think that would want to take over the planet there if it is planted in the ground. Even my plants in pot send runners everywhere. I love them though and the new purple one I bought this summer is gorgeous.

Bug, love the laundry utility area.

Chelone, I often find myself out of sorts this time of the year. I think it has to do with having too much to do and not enough time to do it in.

Im loving this chartreuse phygelius (cutting from Monique) next to the Lantana Tropical Fruit.
    {{gwi:173849}}

OK time to rustle up some breakfast and get outside and water the estate. WE are having company over for a cook-out so Ive got to do a bit of house clean up as well and take a trip to the grocery. Have a great day everyone.
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

A very very misty morn here. Nevertheless, I need to get out there and water things. DH is going in to work and prepare more for his courses...which means I'll get more done! ;)

Later!
    'bug

• chelone
    14 years ago

I have some alteration work to finish up this morning and then I have to figure out how to control the mongrel horde when my customer arrives. She is very dog savvy and has agreed to help me by IGNORING the dogs completely when she comes over. I think Rex will be introduced first and the Wrecking Crew and then we will practice our "down/stays". :)

Yes, the Crew will go home better disciplined than when they arrived. But while they're here they know what is expected of them. It's my hope that seeing what they are capable of doing after some pretty minimal training and some consistent enforcement will encourage more of the same at their home. As I see it the biggest problem is that they wear harnesses, not collars. They are easily in the 80lb. range and are young and boisterous, the harness offers absolutely no control and requires tremendous strength of the handler. Hard enough with one, but then add another one and you can see how difficult control and enforcement can be! Within in 5 minutes of wearing a training collar and some basic leash work they were totally on board. No more pulling, lungeing, or attempts at jumping because it's quick and easy to put an end to it when you have control over them. And they want to please you... it's that characteristic that makes dogs the base, fawning foolish creatures they are. And it's why I hate dogs.

OK, time to finish this load of laundry, turn on the iron in the Salon, and make the call to my customer. OH, and make sure all the leashes are at the ready, lol.

THTTF has been an ever increasing worry. We have a lot to do to it and it's been hard to coordinate time off to get there and get it done. I'm not really comfortable with the approach; think my brother is too autocratic and acts unilaterally on many fronts. Which is often at cross points with achieving a pleasing, useful outcome. I am concerned that in his rush to "get something done" he often overlooks the benefit of sitting down, thinking, and planning the project more carefully. My concerns that the available square footage could be more effectively used are given short shrift and shrugged off as being too time consuming. But I would rather put the time in now and then have well repaired and comfortable family rental. So, I'm going to have to fasten my diplomatic chin strap and patiently refuse to be hurried or harried. After all, I own half of that house and half of the monies we have agreed to use for its renovation are mine, too! I am an equal partner and shouldn't be steamrollered. So, that's a source of my present tension. :/

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Weird day. It was cool and humid, which is an annoying combination - you think it should be great weather for working outside and suddenly you're sweating up a storm. I got a lot of things half-done as my attention wandered relentlessly.

Mid-afternoon, MIL and her husband stopped by for a viewing of the deer condo. Then we returned to the house and had a drink on the deck, and MIL nicely told me that there would be a lot more room on my deck if I didn't have all those plants everywhere. Yeah, I was over-the-moon thrilled about that comment.

Sensing my displeasure, Mystic decided to head for parts unknown. We spent a lot of time looking for him, driving around our place on the ATV and driving around the local roads, but no black lab anywhere to be found. Finally got a call from the woman across the road (that would be the very busy highway filled with semis from the local milk plant and weekend warriors bringing their boats home from Wisconsin) who had found him at their place, trying to play with their chihuahua, Rambo. (You can't make this stuff up.) She got the number off his dog tag, gave him food and water and put him in their dog kennel. I think she'll be getting a delivery of mums on Tuesday.

And I still can't believe that stinker ran across the road. Or that the other stinker told me I had too many plants on my deck.

Off to sulk,

V.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

We have arrived home. We had a fabulous trip! Dotti and Tom were fabulous and we all had a great time together. We were able to spend an evening at David & Jim's. Ruth who many of you know, joined us so it was truly a mini IU. It was so fun to see all their gardens and David's stunning house as well. We were able to see several other gardens while we were there. We did some other sight seeing also, but it really didn't compare. I have pictures, which I'll try to post later. The ones from David's garden didn't turn out well. First it was getting dark fast, I had a wine glass in one hand and finally I really am not all that good at photography. I got some nice ones from Dotti's and some of the other places we went.

I've only done a quick skim but I'm sorry to hear Woody, that health issues are in the fore front of you lives these days.

Later

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention how I was coerced by David, Dotti and Ruth to make a stop at Arrowhead Alpines on the way home. I restrained myself and we only had to move a tree, one perennial and two shrubs every time we got in the camper on the way home ;o)

• denisez10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

V, that sort of remark prompts a wise-acre response like, "Yeah, but I always think without guests there'd be even more room for plants" -- not that one ever says such things to a MIL. Thank goodness the runaway lab was located at his new buddy Rambo's place. You think Mystic is lonesome?

Michelle, what a fantastic trip, and to see David's garden too. Whatever pictures you've got are eagerly awaited.

Deanne, the phygelius do run at the root here, and seem to bloom less as a consequence. The phyg in my photo are in a pot, and the growth and bloom have been more uniform. When do yours start blooming? That chartreuse phyg was trouble for me -- leaves burned and were ugly in sun, but no flwrs with more shade. Yours is stunning!

'bug, maybe you can overwinter your phyg at the coleus hacienda with the local nursery guy this winter, or just take a few cuttings yourself. Love the laundry room! I get such a kick out of solving a problem like that, simple and elegant.

Norma, we still have our vacation overhead sprinklers rigged in the back garden, just to hear the drops splash on the leaves for a brief moment every couple of days. Around twilight, everyone comes out of the house to listen and stare at the faux rain, lol. Hope the grandkids didn't run you ragged.

Chelone, knowing how you pulled the lion's share of the duty with the care for your Mum, I'd be inclined to let your brother handle the THTTF...but that's just me. I hope you and your brother get it sorted out to everyone's satisfaction.

Today involved lots of reading, a little rowing followed by a lukewarm bath to cool down, a small outdoor fire since the night got surprisingly cool (at last!) followed by quesadillas for dinner. Marty changed the clutch cable on Mitch's bus early in the a.m., baked cookies, gave Ein a bath -- basically worked circles around me today ;)

A glimpse of the front succulent garden and the killer porch steps:

{{gwi:173851}}

• chelone
    14 years ago

I wondered if Mystic was lonesome, too. :) Bet you nearly had a stroke when you allowed yourself to contemplate the frightening possibilities that didn't occur. I chuckled at MIL's comment and Denise's snappy reply. My late MIL who epitomized a Spaniard in Mary I's court assessment of the English as, "pink, white, and quarrelsome" had a tendancey to wander over from BIL's home and launch into criticism of all sorts of things when she was feeling ornery. I am on record as looking her straight in the eyes one day and saying, "Your conversation has grown tiresome. It's time for you to run along home now". She sputtered and fumed but returned the next day and many more after that none the worse for wear. She was a real piece of work with a very finely developed sense of humor. The helpmeet and BIL are very much like her in that respect. We're all three of us, "pink, white, and quarrelsome", lol.

Has anyone seen the American Masters program on Dalton Trumbo? I've now seen it 3 times and my admiration for the bravery and commitment to the Bill of Rights has only deepened with each viewing. Eloquent, humorous, and principled, he has now been added to my list of personal heroes... . I found myself wiping tears whose origination alternated between laughter and outrage at such gross injustice. Make a point to see it.

Marvelous blue/grey succulents above, perhaps it's time to move to a gentle ramp as you move toward your golden years in the Golden State.

I do not wish to have the THTTF become more of an architectural and aesthetic nightmare than it already is. I have concerns that in its present state it will be difficult to rent. I see no point in overlooking that reality in a rush "to do something" and at present the useful square footage is severely limited by a very poorly considered floorplan. One that could be improved greatly with some judicious, albeit messy, interior work. A perfect example would be to reverse the two "staircases", which are simply construction stairs, one to the cellar the other to attic. Reversing them would be easy (I've done it before at a friend's home) and would dramatically alter traffic flow and improve the useful space in the house. My brother either does not realize or appreciate how much attention I paid to my late FIL (an architect) and that I have been playing around with layouts for some time now. We're reasonable people and we'll figure it out, but I see it will require some "selling".

Sounds as though Michelle will have many tales to tell and pictures to show.

And now it's time to consider the coming day... how to exercise the Crew adequately and still get something done outdoors. I was not a "ball of fire" yesterday, either.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

When my husband's grandmother came to visit this place, not soon after we'd bought it, she visited and had a nice time, I thought.

Later she called Nick and told him to have me remove that tree with all the bees in it (Hydrangea 'peegee').

I don't know if I've told her I keep bees yet :)

I took pictures last Friday and spent yesterday hunting high and low for the camera. Seems I put it in the cooler that I had taken for honey extraction (I didn't use the cooler, so I remember NOW thinking that it'd be a good way to carry my extra stuff...) DOH!

Pictures to follow....

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Following along here and marveling at many things...including MIL comments, runaway dog, Michelle's mini-Idyllunion and plant haul, the beauty of a succulent garden, curiosity about the Bill of Rights and opinions on THTTF.

As concerns THTTF, it is known by real estate folks that women are the ones who influence whether or not a couple buys or rents a home. It is also known that women are the ones who find TF (traffic flow) of most importance. Often they are the ones who do the daily drudgery and chasing of children about the place so it tends to affect them most. These things frequently do not occur to men folk. And so I say, a main floor laundry room with an area to fold things and hang things. [see photo above. ;)] Having proper stairs is crucial too, says I, who fell down 14 of them when holding my 2 week old child. Oh yes, I do have opinions on the topic!

I have finished reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society and very much enjoyed the mix of history, famous authors and new characters. The fact that I am still thinking about it is a good thing. :) It is a quick read I think many would enjoy. I for one knew little about the Occupation of Guernsey or the Todt workers in the 40s before this read.

Yesterday I managed to water a great deal of the thirst quenched gardens and weed and weed and weed some more. Somehow it doesn't make a dent though... DH managed to burn the fire pit weeds and things before dinner. Today I MUST attack that huge pile of wood chips!!! The osteoarthritis in my hands is not happy about such activity though...

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago

A sparkling good morning to all --

Woody -- All of us at the Park are sending every good vibe that can be conjured, not only for your decision but for whatever your decision brings.

Kathy -- Loss of a patriarch hit hard in New England recently, and I can imagine that such a familial reunion will bring its share of laughs and tears. At least you get to see Mr. Baby!!

To all others who have experienced sadness of any form -- ((((()))))).

Cornfield Park is thriving. The "indian" corn is a full 8' tall and bountifully producing. Four varieties of zinnias are going full bore and the herb harvest this year is amazing. Have finally determined that some roses need to be yanked and started over, but it has been five years in Z5/6 and they did yoeman's duty for as long as they were here.

And, the biggest news of all -- are you ready????? We Have a CAT!!! Yes, a real live one that was living in horrid conditions and was rescued by myself and a friend along with his five brothers and sisters. Mom is being spade next week after four litters in two years (Poor Thing!!)

Confusion with names at first since he was identified as a female. Six week old trip to the vet determined HE is not well endowed and, well, anyone could've made that mistake.

His name is Boo II (read: boo 2) after my first childhood black cat with blue eyes. "Ditto" didn't cut it :-)

Herb growing is kaput. Too close to wetlands for a structure that needs any kind of foundation, even a slab. Our house is legal by 6" with great thanks as we don't need flood insurance but nothing else can go between the house and the wetlands. It's okay, we'll make it.

Thinking of everyone and not being able to check in as often as I'd like, but enjoying everything when I can. A long winter ahead is looming and work is all consuming, but also a wonderful distraction to what could be an extraordinarily depressing financial situation. Little miracles keep happening, though, and for those we are truly grateful.

Met a greyhound the other day and thought of Cynthia. Are You Out There?

Waving to all....

Martie

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Hi Martie! Nice to hear from you :) A cat? Wow! You've been busy :)

Michelle! What a great mini IU you had! I have such fond memories of Michigan thanks to our gracious hosts! Arrowhead Alpines was a real treat, too, and I still like to look at the catalog every once in a while.

Here's a picture of the "water garden" if you can call it that :) It is clustered in the corner of my deck - 3 large galvanized tubs. There is a pump that brings the water up and over the cast leaf and makes a nice sound.

{{gwi:173853}}

Here's the bloom on the water canna that was cut out of the shot - this is the pink one - the purple one hasn't bloomed yet this year.
    {{gwi:173855}}

You can see more pictures in the album. Kathy, that catmint is still standing but I still need to snap a picture!!!

Saucy

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Good morning! I spent the first part of the morning power-washing my agaves. Seems that my large agave has a scale infestation. I now know that scale sits on the top of the agave leaves, not the bottom. Tricky little buggers!

'bug, I read the Guernsey book a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I picked it up because I've dealt with a business on Guernsey (drop Raymond Evison's name here) and I was curious to learn more about the island. What a fascinating history! I highly recommend the book.

Saucy, I love your water garden - what a great idea!

When I went to pick up Mystic last night, the first thing the woman said to me was, "He wanted to play with my dogs." She had no idea that we had lost a dog recently. I think that loneliness may have been part of his reason for disappearing. I'm not ready for a second dog (although we've already had an offer) but I will work harder at "play dates" with DIL's dog and taking him into town for socializing. Our farmer's market has almost as many dogs as people visiting.

OK, on to rearranging the stepping stones at the top and the bottom of the steps in back. The path needs to shift to accommodate maturing shrubbery.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Just a quick check in here. as DS and I spent the night chasing a bug of some sort and not much sleep was had. BIL's , who are flying home from Palm Springs today were also ill and we are blaming a chain restuarant that we all ate at one time or other during the trip. Am off to WF in a moment to stock up on yogurt, bland crackers, bland tea, rice and water with electrolytes. I feel okay this morning, just tired from interrupted sleep . Just wanted to say Hi to Martie, and tell Lisa that her water garden is fabu-fabu and I'd love to copy it !

Be back later , waves to all, jealous of Michelle !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Lovely water garden Saucy!!!What fun!

We managed to weed a stretch of the vegetable garden this morning and cover it with mounds of the leafy wood chips. DH figures we attacked 1/5th of the heap. Maybe tonight we can reach the 1/3 mark? I hope so.

Martie, our friends had a cat named Ditto. There were other kittens with punctuation names too.

We played croquet last night and I was the victor. I got to play with the kid rules...namely the losing player gets two turns...So winning isn't that great a feat! A montgolfier (hot air balloon) passed close over our heads. Phoebe wanted to play too, so she got to play a game with her red rubber ball afterwards.

I seem to be delaying a return to work...

{{gwi:173857}}

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Happy Labor Day everyone

A busy one here, David has 3 boys over to enjoy a last day of pool fun. I've been cooking, preparing several lasagnes to freeze for busy work nights ahead. Annie has completed all her AP European History work, has organized her room, finished her laundry and has all the papers she needs lined up ready to go for tomorrow. She is sewing Pink Floyd patches onto her denim school bag right now.

I mention this party because I'm so proud of her, but also because organization skills have never come naturally or even seemed important. But somewhere in Middle School she turned the corner, acknowledging her natural path would lead to chaos, and finding her own system for what works. I'm sure the Idyll grand-kids with similar organization challenges will find their way too given time and encouragement.

I have that somewhat sinking, end of summer feeling right now, even though I'm looking forward to starting my new job. I'll have to keep extra busy to keep cheerful.

Michelle - what a wonderful time you must have had:0) Can't wait to see pictures.

Saucy - love the water gardens!! and couldn't help smiling at the tree/bee remark.

Martie - great to hear from you! and a big wave to everyone else.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Some photos from the desert- bad conditions for pics, very intense sun, mid day, but these will have to do !

A garden vignette {{gwi:173861}}From Papa 9-09

Palm Springs back yard {{gwi:173864}}From Papa 9-09

A neighborhood of classic 50's era Palm Springs houses. This street is named after Jane Wyman - the house next door to my friends was once hers {{gwi:173868}}From Papa 9-09

My friend only knew the common name of this plant, which when googled leads no where. Do you know Denise ? {{gwi:173871}}From Papa 9-09

Wind machines at the base of the San Jacinto mountains- this is an area desert winds and sandstorms in late fall- {{gwi:173875}}From Papa 9-09

Oops !!! How did that get in there ? {{gwi:173878}}From Papa 9-09

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Wow, a toddler Blackberry... bet he'll have Sue beat in no time flat. I love that he looks for all the world as though you've just interrupted him for about the 3rd. time, lol.

I love the neighborhood, very, very cool looking houses! OK, so give me an idea of how big the houses are and how much would one of them set me back if I were to hit town with a suitcase full of money?

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Wow, a Mr. Baby (aka Aiden) sighting (LOL Saucy re the blackberry-- I think you got the 'tude totally correct!) and news from Cornfield Park --

Boo 2 - congrats, martie - I hope he'll bring you many years of joy and fun.

Incredible phygelius, Deanne -- so lovely -- and Denise -- of course, the succulent garden is gorgeous. I can't imagine having iresine in the border all year long... I guess the downside to the no rain and hot temps, is you can find great color all year long..... Enjoyed the dog hazard course compliments of Ein -- glad you didnt hurt anything more than your pride in the falls.

Saucy -- great photos of the garden!

I've been making a wreck of mine -- I pulled several rose shrubs and got ruthless and started an attack on the William Baffin - he's chopped below the knees, but I have not been successful in full lower removal - I think I may need a backhoe - I soaked it/ w some water for a while, but it's still entrenched... maybe again on the weekend...

Also moved some shrubs around and am contemplating purchase of a viburnum Asian beauty (stirred by Sue's) and some other things -- go work on more shrubs and conifers... Im feeling old these days and think I may need to plan for the future soon...

Like your area, Deanne, it's dry as toast here - altho we had a quick shower and Im hoping for some more tonite. But I dragged the hoses around to soak the newly planted stuff and a few drooping pots.

V - I was told I had a "pot fetish" by my DD this summer -- I think she was appalled by the number on the patio - Im a piker of course to most folks here, but still there does seem to be a fair amount of space devoted to them, LOL -- and they don't talk back!

Michelle - glad to hear you resurface - I wondered if you were going to have the privilege of seeing David's -- Im salivating at the thought of all the luscious pics from your vacation!!! What fun - another regional mini-IU!!

Okay, gotta go nurse my aches and pains and rips and tears -- Mr. Baffin is quite spiteful....

Kathy - I sure hope you and your family feel better soon! Yucko on food poisoning.. blech.

Well, I have a day off tomorrow and plan to triage and delouse the house.... and figure out why the new drapes in the FR are falling off the wall.....

--cindy

• denisez10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to see you're well enough to post, Kathy. That pretty orangey-yellow flower is a Caesalpinia. Waving to Mr. B, who looks like he just missed an important phone call.

No offense to the residents of Palm Springs, but I so do not love that neighborhood -- Yet I know lots of people who adore Palm Springs, so definitely a matter of taste -- and heat tolerance!

I haven't seen that American Masters show but know Trumbo from his searing anti-war book Johnny Got His Gun. I'll check around for more viewing times of the AM production. Sounds great.

Mary, that's so great that Annie set herself in a new direction on organization.

Saucy, love the water garden and your lush deck.

Congrats on the new addition, Martie. I was just thinking this morning what an odd bunch of cats we've got now -- all fascinating, of course, and dearly loved, but I've had lots of cats over the years and this bunch is the strangest by far. Although I have had one genius cat, Oskar, who trained himself to use the toilet, I kid you not...

Just spent at least an hour "debriefing" Mitch on his first wedding shoot. Super-lux location, a gorgeously restored movie palace on Wilshire in Beverly Hills, so lots of money spent in that area, but no wedding director for the day. So a wedding couple seemingly intent on a traditional, storybook, very formal wedding had a ceremony where no one knew what was supposed to happen next. The DJ set up his equipment without soundchecking, so the music was muddy and nearly inaudible (but DJ was so inspired he felt it appropriate to karoake along to the songs he was playing, and that made it through the sound system just fine.) There were lots of long waits and loss of momentum while everyone figured out by committee (and argument) what was to happen next. The bride, with little support from anyone else, was dashing around trying to mitigate mishaps until her wardrobe was malfunctioning, literally sliding off her. And then the coup de grace, a fight breaking out between the two families, real fisticuffs, possibly a byproduct of opting for an open bar. Mitch said by the end of the evening, the bride was in despair and couldn't muster a smile for portraits. Wowsers! Reminded me of an old Robert Altman movie from years back, A Wedding, which we've moved to the head of the queue. I think the whole event was severely depressing for Mitch, but my ghoulish fascination for all the details may have restored some luster. As V says, you can't make this stuff up!

Cindy, go easy on yourself with the garden rampage! Roses can be monsters to dig up. I'm still getting the odd shoot here and there from roses long gone.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh, at last a message from Mr Baby!
    Thanks,
    Ivy

{{gwi:173881}}

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Ahh - I love seeing Mr Baby and Ivy smiling across cyber-space.

Denise - your description of the wedding cracked me up. Poor Mitch - wedding photography is exhausting at the best of times but under those conditions...

On the wedding photo front we were delighted yesterday when our one and only wedding album was rediscovered in the depths of an unused cabinet, after a decade of being AWOL. Both children were fascinated by how young we were, how blond I was, and how much hair DH had. It was fun picking out which relative was which as we have all changed in the intervening 22 years.

Both Annie and David are off to school and I'm experiencing that bitter-sweet feeling of the beginning of another school year. I have two hours to myself before my first meeting with my new supervisor and it feels a great luxury. I should probably spend the time rushing around cleaning the house but am sipping coffee at the computer instead. Sometimes solitude needs to be savored.

Mary

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning all,

We are being treated to a wonderful stretch of weather here and are going to have another fabulous sunny day here. Doug and I went for a thirty-one mile bicycle ride yesterday and it couldnt have been a better day for it. What fun! We were a little overtired afterwards but Im only minimally sore this AM so all is well. We are hoping to be able to do a fifty miler before the end of the season.

Michelle, Im so jealous of your wonderful visit with the Michigan Idyllers. Ive really wanted to get to see Davids new house and gardens. And how fun you spent time with Honey and Tom! They are the best hosts.

Cindy, Glad you survived the excavation of the Mr. Baffin. Dont you hate it when it takes a bomb to remove a plant that you planted and wish you hadnt?

Denise, love your Phygelius and succulents. Interesting that you grow it in a container also. That must take a lot of watering in your neck of the woods. ~~ I lol over your wedding story. I cant imagine that poor bride! The wedding we went to on Friday was small but still had a wedding planner and all went flawlessly.

Kathy, so sorry you got sick on your trip. One of my worst nightmares. Its just awful to be sick when you are away from home. ~~ I LOL over the pic of Mr Baby with his Blackberry. Too funny! ~~ Love the desert pics. I couldnt stand to live in that climate but love all the unusual plants that can be grown there.

Saucy, love, love, love your water garden with the cast leaves! So very pretty and creative.

Here are a couple pics from yesterday

Sweet Autumn Vine is looking lovely
    {{gwi:173884}}

The tropical border a lush and full as its ever been. Its so strange to know that it will all be gone in a few weeks.
    {{gwi:173889}}

{{gwi:173890}}

{{gwi:173894}}

Luke thinks the fountain is his personal water bowl
    {{gwi:173897}}

{{gwi:173898}}

Hello to Martie, nice to see a post from you, waving hello to one and all, Have a great day!
    Deanne

• jak1
    14 years ago

Good Morning all! Yes, another school year has begun. TCS was nervous so he went on the bus and I raced over to the schoolyard to meet him. He was not completely thrilled with his new teacher (the school no-nonsense champ) and I was completely thrilled. Many of his friends are in his class so I think he will do fine.

I had a case of the "poor me"s this week for a few days, and then I got sick, so one was probably leading to the other. Better now, and, as Mary says - that bittersweet time when you have freedom and don't quite know what to do with it!

We spent last week preparing for the Perth Fair. TCS made an Inukshuk, some bread, a rice crispie pumpkin, two flower entries and an entry into the Large Vegetable contest. He came second for bread and third for the Inukshuk, for a total of $6, and second in the Large Veggie for $15. But the big thing is that there is a draw for a bicycle for all kids who enter, and he was the winner! How thrilling is that for a seven year old??!!

I managed first place for Hostas and Hens and Chicks, two thirds for tomatoes.

Friday I took Adrian and a friend to the fair for the day. The weather was wonderful and the place was absolutely jammed. I managed to keep them from consuming a bunch of sugary junk, and bought them ride bracelets so they could go on every child-sized ride three times! I had a splitting headache by the end of the day so I think that is where my funk and upset started.

All of your photos are great! Deanne, my Sweet Autumn is still just teeny buds, but I do have pets who drink out of the fountains and birdbaths. (Out of the birdbaths, ugh!).

Mr. B. could be the next Bill Gates and support you all in luxury, Kathy! Glad to hear you are feeling better now. Would you like to live and garden in those hot and dry conditions?

Well, the wedding sounds like one to remember. This is the stuff of hilarious family stories generations later! DD went to a wedding this weekend where 84 of those who said they were coming didn't show. Imagine RSVPing to something that important, special, and not to mention costly, and then not show. How rude.

Gee Martie, too bad about the herb dream collapsing in a cloud, well, a wave of swamp. Is there any other place to locate this? It sounded like such a good idea....And "Hi" to BooToo. Reminds me of Marie's kitty Metoo.

And speaking of Marie, hugs to you today, I'm thinking of you, and a Reed walk will figure prominantly in my schedule for the day.

And hugs and best wishes to Woody, who has a long row to hoe these days.

Outdoor work today will consist of moving the back lawn and spraying my illegal cache of Weed Out on the new invaders from the park. I am not sure what I'll do when my stash runs out. At least with the Spite Fence no one can see me performing the dirty deed....Also going to paint a baseboard (the JJob; I'm doing one each day), make some cookies for TCS, and give the dogs a spa day (they have such short little hair that the whole grooming thing takes about a half hour including nail trimming). Then, like Maagie Muggins, tra la la I don't know what I'll do tomorrow!

Cheers,

Julie

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good morning Idylls, feeling a bit more human here today, and Im not back to work till tomorrow so will have a chance to do post trip laundry and get a few of the plants Ive accumulated into the ground.

Lol, Mr Baby and his blackberrythat is actually my DSs phone, on which he has tons of music stored. He was listening to the Beach Boys when that photo was taken. He would hold that phone and occasionally bob his head for a few moments in a rock-out mode, and would become quite agitated when the phone was taken away. It was pretty funny.

Chelone, the houses in that neighborhood of Palm Springs are quite small- 1,000 to 1200 sq ft I would say though Im sure some of them have been added on too at one time or another. Most all have a swimming pool .It would be unthinkable to live in Palm Springs without one of you ask me ! This is a neighborhood of Alexander Homes, the link I provided below will provide more info and better pics of some classic examples. When my friend moved there (13 years ago I think) the neighborhood had been in decline for many years and prices were very low , conditions of the houses were abysmal , but the style was becoming very popular with the gay community who began moving in a and refurbishing these homes. Right now you could probably pick up a small one for under 250k. DS and I are going back down in November with my car to pick up several larger items and photos , mementos from his grandfather that we could not carry back on the plane, and I hope to spend some time in PS taking some pics. The weather will be much nicer and a trip to the botanical garden there will also be on the agenda (of course).

Ok , all for me this morning , Ill be back later with more comments hi to all !

Kathy in Napa