Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Drought and blooms

gardenbug
16 years ago

The drought here continues and even the dandelions are wilting! No one has a green lawn these days...

{{gwi:174047}}

In shady areas things are still alive. The clematis have taken a beating though and are pretty much finished for the season. The grasses look fine and I always enjoy them.

{{gwi:174048}}

Persicaria polymorpha has pretty much ended, but it has a pink hue that looks nice with the ninebark.

{{gwi:174049}}

A pineleaf penstemon is looking happy near some grasses.

{{gwi:174050}}Gentians are starting to bloom as well. They like the sun.

{{gwi:174051}}

Nearby more orange, some crocosmia begins to bloom.

{{gwi:174053}}

New plants were watered in last night:

Leucanthemum

{{gwi:174055}}

and lilies

{{gwi:174056}}

The Angelica gigas are hard to photograph as they're in full sun right now.

{{gwi:174057}}

{{gwi:174058}}

Here is a link that might be useful: huge pineleaf penstemon photo

Comments (12)

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

You manage to the find the beauty even in the drought. Can't get enough of your gardens GB!

This is the year that even drought tolerant plants are struggling here. Intereting that your gentians can tolerate full sun, but I suppose the sun is less harsh in the north.

The pine leaved penstemon is stunning.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Beautiful Bug!!! Love all the photographs and that penstemon is just marvelous! So sorry for that continued drought you are dealing with. We had one here several years ago and you couldn't put enough water on things. I feel your pain.

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Sorry you are experience drought. We are as well. We did get 1.2" on Friday night. I could just feel the grass, gardens and crops smiling. I always enjoy all your interesting plants.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Drought seen through the eyes of a talented photographer isn't half bad:) It's so dry here too but we did get some rain last night. Plants are looking tired though. That penstemon is very cool and I really love that leucanthemum. I've tried some of the different ones but they seem to fade away and disappear over time here. I've resigned myself to Becky and am trying out Broadway Lights this year. Thanks for the beautiful pics. I'm loving all of these different threads to look at!

Eden

• galium
    16 years ago

I hear so many talking about dought conditions. I almost feel guity that we've had plenty of rain.

bug-Nature always amazes me though and you've managed to capture some bright spots in your garden.

Mariann

• david_5311
    16 years ago

Hi Marie! Yes, it is always instructive to see what plants get by or even thrive with drought. The drought here seems to have ended. We got about an inch and a half of rain a week ago and steady all day rain today. Lawns are greening up everywhere (though weeds are also springing up too.....). I am happy to be relieved of so much watering duty.

I am curious Marie about what orange crocosmia you have? Has it overwintered for you? I have to say that the plant I have enjoyed most this year is Crocosmia 'Lucifer'. After never getting enough space in my old crowded garden, it has a good big space in the new one, and the clump has continued to increase over the last few years so that it now makes a statement. The hummers love it, and few plants can match it for architectural interest. (And I even like the RED too ;o)). And it looks great even as its bloom is now finishing too. I also have overwintered Star of Babylon though only one winter and it doesn't have a good enough sunny spot. But I am on the lookout for more hardy crocosmias and am definitely interested in knowing what you have overwintered.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The only crocosmia that I have overwintered is C George Davidson, an orange variety that comes through well for me. So far it is shorter than the Lucifers I've seen elsewhere.
    A variety I recently bought is C.Venus. It has narrower foliage than Lucifer. I'm told it is orange, but I believe it will have red markings from what I have read. There are so many others now. I was tempted by another whose name I can't recall- that was orange blooms with red centers.

I know a woman who has a very bold front garden in a development. It is made up mostly of named lilies, all gold, orange and red. She has a HUGE stand of C. Lucifer that looks amazing with all this and even has orange agastache blooming there too...which is gorgeous but subtle by comparison with the rest. It's the only garden in a huge wasteland of crunchy brown lawns!

I'm waiting for rain now.....I think I hear it advancing!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, here are the first post rain blooms for you! This is C.'Venus'.

{{gwi:174059}}

{{gwi:174060}}

• david_5311
    16 years ago

Not only lovely plant but pictures too Marie. I am going to try G Davidson if you have managed to overwinter that one. I am quite enamored of (with?) these plants, they have lovely form and pretty long bloom time. I haven't quite yet figured out what they want for ideal growth except full sun.

We have had about 2" rain total in the past 4 days and more expected today. So our dry spell here seems finally to be over. Hope it is for you too.....

David

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's G Davidson today-
    {{gwi:174061}}

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

I planted a crocosmia in my front flower bed a few years ago. It bloomed, then disappeared never to return...:-(
    So many of the flowers you grow do not do well here. Either a climate or a soil problem.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hear drainage is an issue over the winter...and that chipmunks adore the bulbs. Blood meal is supposed to help. Planting them deeply is also advised.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?