Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

The Farm in August

gardenbug
13 years ago

Come for a tour!

The laneway...which our neighbour plows for us in winter. There are ten silver maples, planted years ago by the man next door.

{{gwi:174065}}

Next to the lane is the alfalfa field which we let the neighbour use in exchange for the plowing. Good deal for each of us!

{{gwi:174066}}

Yesterday one of the boys did some baling.

{{gwi:174067}}

The lane crosses the bridge over our creek, the only access to our place.

{{gwi:165727}}

This is the island bed near the bridge...mostly oranges and whites.

{{gwi:174068}}

From the bridge you can see our house on the left and the barn to the right.

{{gwi:174069}}

The creek, looking left toward out fire pit and beyond that "the flats".

{{gwi:174070}}

Looking to the right, toward the "swamp" and the Grand River beyond that.

{{gwi:174071}}

Here's the barn as seen from the "swamp".

{{gwi:174072}}

The pond is in front of the barn and is spring fed. It was dug deeper in the 80s for swimming. Before that pigs wallowed there. Now, there are water lilies and snapping turtles there and I prefer NOT to swim with those.

{{gwi:174073}}

Here's the house as seen from the pond:

{{gwi:174074}}

Beyond the barn is the end of our property, and then a farmer's field, and then the borrowed "view" of the gravel pit, source of much annoyance.

{{gwi:174075}}

The lane brings you to our front entry and garage.

{{gwi:174076}}

Then on to a path to the back door and the "Yellow and Blue Garden".

{{gwi:174077}}

Looking back from entryway toward the bridge:

{{gwi:174078}}

Here you see the vegetable garden fence and a view of the house addition built in the 1980s. The yellow & blue garden is on the left here. (I am standing by the circular garden, Reed's memorial garden.)

{{gwi:174079}}

Between the house and the veg garden is this path of grass. On the left is a walkway leading to our patio.

{{gwi:174080}}

This is a peek at the patio from the front verandah of the house:

{{gwi:174081}}

And this is the hellebore garden next to the verandah.

{{gwi:174082}}

The Verandah...

{{gwi:174084}}

The bathroom window upstairs!

{{gwi:174086}}

A view toward the flats and an island bed from the verandah.

{{gwi:174088}}

View toward the right shows trees and a cement table and benches.

{{gwi:174091}}

That's pretty much the tame parts of the place. There is wilder stuff too, but that may be for a different time.

Thanks for joining me!

'bug

Comments (14)

• defrost49
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a lovely tour. I love the bridge approach. Looks like you have put a lot of work into keeping things neat and tidy. Doesn't look like your path of grass has any weedy type grasses growing. We are in the process of renovating my husband's grandfather's place, actually built by my husband's great great grandfather. We moved in in 2007 and started major building renovations since the house had been divided up into two apartments back in the 70s.

A neighbor farmer is renovating two fields for hay and planted a third field to cow corn. Last winter my husband and son cut down the trees that had grown up in the former orchard. De-stumped in the spring and will seed in a few weeks. Right now it's been dry so my husband is out with the brush hog.

It's a lot of work!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Everything is looking might fine Bug! What a lot of work. The farm is looking very tidy and organized. I can't even imagine how much time and effort that takes. This is a beautiful photo essay. Many thanks for sharing.

Deanne

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

'bug, do you need a live-in maid? For free? All I ask is that I be allowed to roam free. Don't cook, though-teehee.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure do! And a weeder too! A dog walker, hose manager, dish washer, seemstress. Guess I'm getting greedy here!

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

'bug, I love this ! So many interesting details and photos from perspectives I've never seen. Looks like you have room for a couple hundred more Clematis though !
    Thanks for taking the time to share this with us...it's really a beautiful place.

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Bug, I really like your place. It has all the right touches of a country place. I love how the yellow trim sets off the wood on your house. Really enjoyed the views I hadn't seen before. How long have you been there? Was DD and DS still with you when you moved there?
    I agree it all looks neat and tidy. You have some great plants too.

Norma

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I am packing now! You'll need someone else as the seamstress though-the rest, I can handle. Alas, that probably rules me out. ;)
    Cyn

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

What a lovely tour. I've seen things in these pictures that I haven't before. It gives a much better sense of the lay of the place. I love your brick house with all its detail. I grew up in a brick house and would love to have my own. Thanks for putting these up.

Michelle

• saucydog
    13 years ago

I love looking at pictures of your farm. It is peaceful and serene. I would like to walk it with you and Pheobe.

I would not go swimming with snapping turtles, either, but the pond is beautiful. Does Pheobe swim or does she just like to wade?

Saucy

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

What a lovely photo tour, 'bug, with views I've never seen before. It was as Deanne calls it, a great photo essay that likely does justice to such peace and serenity. Your home is so lovely - I love the colors and the brick, tucked into the farm areas. I can see where it would be hard to limit one's urge to create more beds and borders - so much to do as it is!

-Cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Always baautiful - in photos or in person :-) The laneway/bridge viws are my favorites - the road to a magical spot...

• flowerluvr
    13 years ago

An excellent tour of the farm, 'bug! Everything looks wonderful. It looks like a great place to meander around and lose yourself :) I love the bridge-the very idea that you have to cross a bridge to get to your place is so cool!
    Thanks for the tour!

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Fabulous tour, bug! I, too, love that bridge but am wondering if you are ever stranded by high water issues? The barn is my favorite, do you know much of the history? ItÂs much larger than what I associate a typical barn to be in size although thatÂs probably just my naïve perception.

• sunsign65
    13 years ago

Great pictures,I love the country your so lucky to have such a beautiful place to live!