Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Driveway Garden through the Seasons

deanneart
18 years ago

Well, I have too much time on my hands today so I've been playing with garden pics on the new computer. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to find pics from the same angle in the driveway garden and compare the seasonal changes. All of these photos are from 2005....

This first is a hoot and I didn't even remember taking it. The photograph was taken on January 24th. You can make out the lump in the middle of the photograph which is the large urn. The dried stuff to the left is the Matrona Sedum. It will be back to this all too soon. I guess I won't complain anymore about the heat this summer.

{{gwi:174540}}

This next one is from April 6. Still lots of spring cleanup left to do here but things are beginning to green up and there are a few crocus blooming.

{{gwi:174543}}

What a difference a few weeks make in the spring! This next photograph is from April 28th. I've finally planted some spring flowers in the urn and the grape hyacinth and daffodils are blooming. Everything is greening up and coming to life.

{{gwi:174547}}

I couldn't believe I didn't have any photos from this angle from May but this next pic is from June 9th. Incredible! I forget how fast things grow in the springtime. The large rock that shows up in the earlier photos is completely covered up with the daylily and hakone grass foliage. The 'May Night' Salvia in the foreground was particularly gorgeous this year.

{{gwi:174550}}

July 2 - The 'Stella d'Oro' is beautiful behind the birdbath and things are just bursting with color! Look how much the sambucus has grown behind that urn.

{{gwi:174553}}

July 16th and the garden is really popping. The daylilies, lychnis, and coreopsis are blooming away. You can just see a bit of the 'May Night' in the lower left corner.

{{gwi:174557}}

August 18th, that rudbeckia behind the BB is really making a statement! 'Stella d'Oro' is getting ready to do its rebloom. I've never gotten constant bloom from it as advertised but it does rebloom pretty well for me in this garden. The color goes well with that rudbeckia this time of the year. The Urn has filled in so much you can hardly see the BB anymore and I really love when that variegated Ipomoea fills in. I plant it there because the color of the vine echoes the Adjuga 'Burgundy Glow'. The aster in the foreground is getting ready to do its thing and the May Night still has a few flowers left in it. I love that plant! If you deadhead it regularly it blooms for a very long time. This year instead of just deadheading it I cut this one back almost to the ground after the first flush of flowers and it came back better than the ones I just deadheaded. I'll do the more severe pruning on this plant from now on.

{{gwi:174561}}

So that's it so far and I'm thinking I'll take a few more pics as the garden winds down for the season. I still have anemones and re-blooming iris to come and the Matrona behind the urn is just beginning to open its fall show.

Deanne

Comments (55)

• deanneart
    Original Author
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bruce, Yes I chop back my daylilies at the end of their bloom time when they start looking ratty then they re-grow new foliage. They all don't need that much cutting back, the Trophytaker tetraploids generally keep their foliage pretty well but my older diploids like the 'Catherine Woodbury' lose all the earlier foliage so when the flowers finish I hack them down.

Monique, that Bulbous Oat Grass does get a bit brown and 'tatty' looking this time of year so I just chop it right down and it starts growing new leaves fairly soon and looks fresh again in a few weeks. I love the look of it the rest of the season and feel it is worth it because it is a non-invasive well behaved grass. I think the BG Ajuga is worth replanting in that spot to do that combo. If mine reverts I'll dig it out and replace it. I thought you and Les would like that combination! LOL

T, glad you found this interesting. I'll try to keep it updated as time goes by.

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Deanne, that was fun. I enjoyed all the seasons. I love the planting in the urn. I may have to steal it for next year. This was my first year for tall urns and the one definately needs more height to the planting. I tried the burgandy glow and it reverted on me too, but maybe I'll pick up some more.

Michelle

• yeonasky
    18 years ago

I love seeing the transformation of your garden, like the caterpillar to the Beautiful butterfly. I agree with Bruce, great eye for color and form. I cut back my S May Night, and enjoy the results, but don't find it does as much for other Salvias I have.

Yeona

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Deanne,
    I really enjoyed seeing the changes in your garden as the months progressed. Do you have a list (or layout) of the plants you've used? You have such a great eye for combinations and textures!

• deanneart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Bellarose,

Thanks, I used to have a 'map' of that garden but I've changed quite a few things since I did it. I should get it out and update it though. When I do I'll post it with the plants list.
    Deanne

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

I enjoyed the pictures too. I'll be looking forward to the plant list when you have time to post it. Thanks for the tip on May Night. I'm going to try that next year.

• david_5311
    18 years ago

Hi Deanne. I am glad to have stopped here this morning, since this amazing series of photographs has made my day. It IS really astounding to see the changes through the season. This is a great lesson to newer (and older...) gardeners about planning for all season color and interest. The basics are good form and foliage, long flowering perennials, annuals, tender perennials, containers, tec. And when done with your artist's eye and hard work, the results are pretty amazing. The elder is 'Sutherland Gold' I presume? It is indeed a fast grower. Was that a new plant this year, or coppiced? Mine grew to 12' even with moderate coppicing, though I suspect we are a bit milder here. I would love to see the photos added as the season winds down. Thanks again for sharing, these are a sight for sore eyes this year for a 'non-gardener'. David.

• deanneart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all, I thought I'd add the Sept and Oct pics for you guys. Also I thought VG might want to take a gander at this bed because is it also a driveway garden and about the same width. I'll have to think of VG's plant list and see what can be changed around. I'm going to dig up the old plants list and see if I can get it updated and posted.
    September 15, 2005
    {{gwi:174565}}

October 16, 2005
    {{gwi:174568}}

I'll get back to this later and put up some photos that show the border from a different angle.
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

I didn't realize that I had never told you how I enjoy these transitions . What a wonderful change from early spring to the fullness of summer ! ( I even like the winter scene . )
    Thank you for all the sharing of your lovely gardens .
    Marian

• putzer
    18 years ago

I, too, really enjoyed seeing these and will definitely take your tip on cutting back May Night (much easier than deadheading). I LOVE the Sambucus!

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

I must mention that I do believe your driveway garden is one of my most favorite views of your garden - you have made such wonderful combinations throughout the entire growing season - but from vignette to overall view, it all flows seamlessly. Who would have ever thought a driveway could be such a thing of beauty?!! Your artist's eye has done some of its best work here, Deanne.
    --Cindy

• deanneart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sad November! this was taken on November 7th Only December to go and the year is complete.
    {{gwi:174569}}

David, thanks very much for dropping in. I've been 'sculpting' this border for a while now and with inspiration from people like yourself, Sue, Monique and on and on I've continued to extend the visual interest throughout the seasons. Yes that is 'Sutherland Gold' I've not done anything to it but it had some severe winter kill last year and this is what came up this season. I'll see what next year brings.

Cindy, Marian, Putzer, many thanks for your feedback.

I'm hoping there is a bit of new snowfall for the December photo for this year.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Deanne, Southerland Gold can totally die back in winter here and still provide lovely growth the following season. This is true of almost all elderberries. They even survive rabbit munching.

I did remove several Quincho Purple elderberries here this past summer because they simply took too long to return to flowering and fruiting. I replaced them with hardier shrubs.

Looking forward to the "winter interest" photo next month!

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Deanne, your driveway bed is indeed an inspiration to me! It's gorgeous. If only mine could look like that:-) You mentioned a map of your bed. would it be possible for me to get a copy of that and your plant list?
    VG

• deanneart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

VG and GB, thanks for the feedback.

VG I'm still working on the map and plants list. I was hoping to get that finished a while ago but it unfortunately still isn't done. I'll post both the map and plants list here when it is completed.

Deanne

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Great!!! I'll be watching for it!! Bless you!

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Deanne, I've really found it interesting studying the changes and progressions in you garden through the months. It's given my insight I can use while working on my own garden's design. You have such a talent for putting plants together. Wish I could borrow your artists eye for a season or two. You've done a beautiful job with this garden. Thanks for taking the time to put this series together.

Eden

• cheleinri
    18 years ago

Another big fan of the Driveway Garden here & your photography. Thanks for sharing it. I had fun looking at the old map when you posted it. Looking forward to the new map..hint hint..:)

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Deanne, I've been studying all of your pictures and looking forward to the map and plant list. EP

• gldno1
    18 years ago

Deanne, I don't know how I have missed this part of the forum for so long. I think I remember your posting this same bed some time back and then the diagram of the plants used. I printed and filed it away (somewhere). Was that you? I remember the coreopsis. Well, no matter, I believe I like this rendition even more! I will be waiting for the diagram of the plants.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

gld

• deanneart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all,

gld, yes that was me a couple years ago with the map and list. The garden has evolved nicely in the last few years and continues to please.

You are all so kind you've inspired me to get this 2005 garden documented.

What was a better thing to do on this snowy day than finally get this map redone? So I finished updating this map and getting the plants list done.

{{gwi:174570}}

1. Buddleia Pink DelightÂ
    2. Perovskia atriplicifolia
    3. Hemerocallis ÂPastel ClassicÂ
    4. Lilium ÂRegaleÂ
    5. Aconitum napellus
    6. Platycodon grandiflora
    7. Echinacea ÂWhite SwanÂ
    8. Anemone tormentosa ÂRobustissimaÂ
    9. Heliopsis ÂLoraine SunshineÂ
    10. Salvia ÂMay NightÂ
    11. Nepeta ÂSix Hills GiantÂ
    12. Platycodon grandiflorus 'Mariesii'
    13. Coreopsis verticillita ÂMoonbeamÂ
    14. Phlox paniculata ÂDavidÂ
    15. Hosta ÂPatriotÂ
    16. Aster Novi-Belgii Patricia Ballard
    17. Iris germanica ÂImmortalityÂ
    17a. Arrhenatherum elatius var. bulbosum 'Variegatum'
    18. Ajuga reptans 'Burgundy Glow'
    18a. Vinca minor
    19. Lupinus ÂThe GovenorÂ
    20. Sedum ÂMatronaÂ
    21. Hemerocallis ÂPreppy PinkÂ
    22. Mix of Sedum kamchaticum and Phlox subulata
    23. Sambucus racemosaÂSutherland GoldÂ
    24. Hemerocallis ÂJolyene NicholeÂ
    24a. Salvia nemorosa ÂEast FrieslandÂ
    24b. Stachys byzantina
    25. Hosta ÂGolden TiaraÂ
    26. Hemerocallis 'Siloam Amazing Grace'
    27. Hemerocallis ÂAppalachian SunsetÂ
    28. Hemerocallis ÂStella dÂOroÂ
    28a. Hakonechloa macra 'Albo Striata'
    29. Geranium sanguineum ÂNew Hampshire PurpleÂ
    30. Sedum kamchaticum
    31. Rudbeckia fulgida ÂGoldsturmÂ
    31a. Lilium ÂAphroditeÂ
    31b. Picea orientalis ÂBergmanÂs GemÂ
    32. Echinacea purpurea ÂMagnusÂ
    33. Calluna vulgaris
    34. Juniperus horizontalis ÂWiltoniiÂ
    35. Chamaecyparis pisifera
    36. Stachys byzantina 'Helen von Stein'

Here is an aerial view of this border June 18, 2005

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

A few years ago I made a list of all my yard trees , shrubs , perennials , wildflowers , and bulbs . I still have them . A lot has since expired , and more has been added . I used a legal pad .
    The aerial view is an excellant idea .

Marian

• just_t
    18 years ago

Deanne, thank you for sharing this. I've been eagerly watching to see if you'd have time to do it and it is much appreciated!

Thank you!

T.

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

Excellent, Deanne. The aerial view really adds to the map view. Your combination of plants work so well. Norma

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Deanne - you always astound me! I *love* the aerial view and your beautiful design just proves how absolutely *gorgeous* a garden can be, even when little is blooming. I am so in love with the varients of green, the texture, and the *health* of your plants...just beautiful! BTW, I hope you don't mind but I printed out your landscape map and list...I just know I will find the perfect ground cover for my garden by perusing your list! :-) Thanks for sharing, you are such a generous and inspirational person. Ei

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

I feel so disorganized! That map is incredible Deanne! Of course I love all of your gardens, but there are lots of good lessons in this one. Thank you for sharing - the whole project is worthy of an article. (Have you thought of expanding your writing beyond painting???)

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Oh Deanne!!! It is fabu:-) I've saved the map, list and areial view for perusal later. Thank you SO much for sharing with us.
    VG

• deanneart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

And lastly, the driveway garden, December 11, 2005 sleeping until spring and the cycle begins again.
    {{gwi:174573}}
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Do you feel this garden was happier and healthier this year minus the neighbour's giant tree, or is it pretty much the same? I always wish I had a bit more sun for some of my planting areas.

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

Deanne - lovely winter photo (as usual) - kind of off topic -- but I'd been meaning to ask - from this winter photo I see you leave most of your "ornaments" outside -- are they all concrete/ stone or is any of it resin? I keep wondering how it all holds up --- Im dying to buy an armillary and pedestal combo but have been hesitating as to what would hold up best without having to bring in in the winter. Obviously, your wonderful urns and pots hold up great -- they look so regal - even covered in snow! And based on your & Monique's recommendations, I bought the bulb oat grass (it did go dormant on me during the hottest part of the summer but then came back) and Im anxious to see how it over-winters.

Thanks again for being so generous with your information and sharing the wonder of your gardens with us.
    -Cindy

• gldno1
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for this second map. I am saving it along with your first, be fun to see the changes you have made. My hummingbird bed next to the drive is about this size and shape. Lots of ideas here for me.

gld

• cheleinri
    18 years ago

Thank you for posting the map Deanne; it will be provide a much welcome distraction during these cold winter days. Save my e-mail address for when you go into garden design. I could use some help..:)
    -Michele

• nickeys
    18 years ago

Deanne, Thanks so much for posting the map and plant list. This will make a great research project for the winter. I think I need that driveway garden at my house :o)

;

• deanneart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi guys, I needed some of this information this morning and realized that this is about to 'fall off the end' so I'm bumping it up. Hope you don't mind.
    Deanne

• just_t
    18 years ago

I love seeing the garden through the seasons again. I'm glad it didn't 'fall off the end'. I'm still hoping to use some of your planting combos this year.

T.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Hi Deanne, this was the perfect time to bring this thread back to the top and remind us that Spring is right around the corner. According to your pictures, only another month to go and the fun begins!!! I really enjoyed going through these again.

Eden

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Thanks Deanne! I'm glad you moved this one back up too. I actually printed it out the first time you posted it. It's a wonderful design and beautiful garden and I have definite plans to include some of your "lower growers" in my garden, which I could use a lot of help with it. All the pics are beautiful, but I really love the aerial view because you get to see how well designed the garden truly is and I *love* all those shades of green and contrasts in foliage. Ei

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

This is fantastic! I loved seeing the different seasons. I also really liked seeing how you edged your bed with plants that just creeped over the edge. Wonderful contrasts in foliage color, texture, etc.

• Nicki
    18 years ago

Deanne - I just saw your post on the cottage gardening form...

This is especially thrilling from my point of view. I garden in Florida, and never get to see the drastic changes a garden goes through. Nothing really dies back (unless the heat and humidity kills it), and nothing really blooms with that exuberance because things have all year to do their thing. There's no pressure to hurry up and set seed before the winter comes. I think northern gardens are much prettier because of that.

Thanks for sharing your garden!

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Bumping this up for inspiration...

• pondlily
    15 years ago

Time for monthly photo documentation!

• deanneart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Pondlily! What a surprise to see this thread come back up again. I went out and took this photo for you this morning.

{{gwi:174575}}

• anitamo
    15 years ago

I'll never get tired of looking at these photos. It's amazing to see how the border changes with every season. For that reason, I'm so glad I live in a four-season climate.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Enjoyed your Driveway Garden, Deanne. Very generous of you to share your plant list and diagram. It is always so fascinating to actually get photos of the same space in each season. You did a really great job on it, providing something beautiful to look at in every season. Has anything changed since the photos were first taken?

pm2

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

I'm not suprised at all to see this thread back at the top, but I'm so glad that someone did call it back up! To share your beautiful garden, gorgeous pics and even include the design...that's amazing and generous and I can see why anyone who sees it would *have* to comment. Your talents never stop amazing me! Ei

• cheleinri
    13 years ago

I'm finally making a garden along my driveway, so bumping for inspiration.

• deanneart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi there cheleinri, fun to see this again. Blast from the past so to speak, here is a pic from April 20th

{{gwi:174577}}

Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Thumbs up to cheleinri ! I love this thread !

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I agree - I think it's neat to see some transition of this area from a couple years ago, Deanne.... one of my favorite spots...

-Cindy

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

I'm always inspired by these photos. Good to see them again. I'm going to borrow a couple ideas. Norma