Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martieinct

Neophyte Photographer's Feeble Attempt

martieinct
17 years ago

The basis of containers that will be on both sides of the 14' wide steps to the patio. (And Rich's legs)

{{gwi:174668}}

Blurry on purpose as this is a trial .. grower gave permission to show color of what might be the first true purple tint tuberous begonia. Several growers alledgedly have the tissue, but I haven't seen it out at market, yet.

{{gwi:174669}}

When I trialed this several years ago, we nicknamed it "Blushing Bridesmaid" These are third year tubers so next year their show will really start.

{{gwi:174670}}

If anyone doesn't have this coleus I'd be glad to take extra cuttings and attempt shipment after they root.

{{gwi:174671}}

Next two pics are results of wintersowing. The multi-petunia smells even better than it looks :-)

{{gwi:174672}}

{{gwi:174673}}

The tomatoes that ate the garden. (Note the size of the purple wave petunia plant cut in half -- that is One plant. Seeds from Pine Tree and highly recommended.)

{{gwi:174674}}

Texture experiments on the corner of the house. The DA 'Shropshire Lad' stays where it is :-) Three more purple wave from Pinetree.

{{gwi:174675}}

The mailbox/newspaper holder garden with the Passiflora crawling up the newspaper pole. It's fruiting!! They are supposed to turn orange -- a bonus. Again, this is to work with color, height and texture, but I sure do like the annual combo. A salmon groundcover rose is planted behind the mailbox and I'm hopeful that the portulaca self-sows.

{{gwi:174676}}

Any phototaking suggestions are Welcome!!

Martie

Comments (10)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Modesty will get you nowhere. These are fine photos of an exciting garden. Your trial plants must thrill you! Lots of color and many successes. Congratulations!
    So does the newspaper ever make it into the box? Does the mailman step on the groundcover roses?

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

HI Martie, very nice! I recognize coleus fishnet stockings in that first pic but what is that very cool purple trailing plant in the urn? I also love that Blushing Bridesmaid, beautiful colors! I think I have that same double petunia, pirouette purple, planted around the base of my red abyssinian banana and mine are very fragrant too. I'm not usually a big petunia fan but I really like them. Everything's looking great! Thanks for sharing these pics. Oh and your photography skills are much better than mine. Good job!

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Martie, great to see some pictures from you. I too was wondering about the trailing purple plant in the first picture. Things are looking fabulous. The portulaca will surely self-sow. Thanks for the tour.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Martie, it all looks good to me! Thanks for the pics. I espacially like that first arrangement in the urn.

Marian

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Welcome to the world of garden show and tell, Martie. We eat this stuff up on this forum...lol. Do you still have a trailing blue lobelia alive this late in the season? I always get seduced by that plant in May only to have to yank it all in July. Love the petunias but they rarely do well for me. My experimental pot tomatoes are much more vigorous than expected. The food crazed dogs must be watching me snack on them when I water because this afternoon I caught Zoe with her front paws in one of the pots checking out the goods.

Keep sharing!

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Bravo Martie! These look great and I'm also wondering what is that fantastic purple trailing plant in the urn in the first photo? Love that combination! Your petunias look fantastic. I never have much luck with them. They wind up getting chewed upon by some kind of caterpillars.

Thanks for posting these! Love them.

Deanne

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I forgot to ask...what is that in the pot on the shelf on the porch? Is it a Kong Mosaic Coleus? I love the coleus that you are offering cuttings of, but I sure do not need any more plants to carry over winter. I am going to be in a quandary trying to get all in that I want to save!
    BTW, congrats on joining in on the pic sharing! You did a good job!

Marian

• martieinct
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you...

The trailing purple plant is Impatiens repens. It blooms yellow but I have a tendancy to take off the bloom. I'm surprised this container laden forum hasn't discovered the many, many uses of this wonderful plant. Very easy to water root from cuttings. It may be hard to find locally, but it is a staple Logee's offering.

This is really the first year I've worked with coleus. (Stop gasping for air, Deanne, Marian and Eden :-) I don't know names but I know what I like and these two in particular caught my eye. Again, cuttings for anyone who wants them.

As for the petunias. LOL right up front. I, too, never had any luck until I started wintersowing them several years ago. It seems that if I start them from seed I take much better care of them. Like shrubs, etc., being able to pinch back while they're tiny really helps in the long term. Also, keeping them very close to lights to have them grow "flat" makes a difference. Petunias will take light frost so they go in early and that early establishment is a good trick, too. Yes, Eden, they are Pirouette and are a keeper!

Marie - I was standing on the cul-de-sac when I took the pic so the drive-by newspaper and mail carriers pop stuff right into the boxes from their cars. No problem, there.

Thanks, again.

Martie

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Doesn't it just blow you away how talented all these Idylls are? Martie I *love* your container. Thanks for telling us what the draping plant with the burgundy foliage is...I would have never guessed a trailing impatiens! Which fuchsia is that that you included with it? I love the combination of colors. LOL about your "blurry on purpose"....most of my close up pictures turn out that way...but it's not on purpose! :-) I love all the colors in your gardens. I'm a real fan of the fuchsia, rubies, amethysts, etc. and is the look I've been trying to achieve in my front garden. I call it the "jeweled" look. Thanks for the tips on starting petunias from seed. I have always wanted to do that. Do you know if all named varieties will come true from seed? Love the name of the begonia. How did you end up being a "trial gardener"? What a neat thing to do. Your mailbox planting is lovely. Which Angelonia is that? It is an Angelonia; isn't it?

Thanks for sharing Martie! Ei

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Where did you get the start for the I. repens? I did a Google search for them and came up with a very interesting site on Impatiens. It took me an hour to view all his pics, but well worth it, in my opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: impatiens

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting