Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll # 453 Summer Clean-up

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

Clean-up seems to be the main gig around here ..pruners, rakes and broom are getting a workout-Grab yours and meet me out in the garden ..

Kathy in Napa

Comments (101)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Could it be an Amsonia variety?

• deanneart
    14 years ago

I think it's Spiraea thunbergiiOgon, I must have that shrub!

Deanne

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Hi PM, I finally got outside and checked my tags in that container with the Cordyline and the yellow coleus you asked about is 'Penny'.

Bug, what a cute pic of you snoozing with Ivy! Love it!

Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

That's so funny, Deanne. I used to want to collect every coleus under the sun until I figured out I wasn't up to the work of wintering over. I still have a collection of photos of coleus on my computer and I was looking through them to see if I could figure it out and I have one of Penny and thought it looked like it. Yours is better and brighter than the photo I have. Of course! :-)

I looked at photos of both Spirea and Amsonia this morning too. I don't think the Amsonia turns that color this early, does it? I thought it might be 'Thor' but photos were not like it at all. Online photos of 'Ogon' do look like it. I really like that one too and I'm not usually a Spirea fan. I think I would like to get to White Flower Farm at some point. Nice display gardens.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Just where has chelone gotten off to? I look forward to her morning greetings.

'bug...I don't think a better rest exists than one in the arms of an infant. It's so restful. More company? You must be the hostess with the mostess, they just flock to your place. Glad you, woody and mates had a good time together.

kathy...IU7 will be in CA? I will have to seriously think about that. But next Oct. is our 25th annv. and we're hoping for a trip to Italy. If only I could do both, mmmmmm.

michelle...You sent your Iowa rains to us, but I'm loving it. The spring green has returned...almost. Nice vignette in your b-day card to V.

PM...good luck to DD on her move. I bet you're so relieved that she'll be in a safer location. We mothers never stop worrying. Beautiful shop of the flamingos, you find the best photos.

saucy...Have fun at Franconia Notch. That's the state park with the Old Man of the Mountains, right? But it collapsed, or something? Sounds like a beautiful place. Thanks for the tip of rousing the deer. I'm always amazed when I can't see any lurking in the shadows, but they are good hiders.

denise...I wanted to mention to you how sorry I am to hear of your dad's failing health, and the upcoming hard decisions facing all of you. I can only imagine the tough times ahead, and the emotional tide you'll be riding.

It's a work day, so I don't mind the all day rain in the forecast. I just don't want to encounter any flash floods, they are worrisome.

Have a great day,
    Anita

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

{{gwi:174872}}

We're back from a nice mini-vacation in gb's part of the country. I've just finished downloading the camera so should have pictures to post soon....

Mary - what great news! Congratulations!

Julie - is your DD sore after her amzing athletic feats?!

Deanne - the orangy flower is a 'Paprika' OSO Easy miniature rose I bought a few weeks ago. The flower is only about 1-1 1/2" wide. I also bought a 'Peachy Cream' one. Since Randy wants to keep the 'Hot Cocoa' weird red rose, I'm going to turn the herb bed and south sideyard bed into a 'hot' bed so have been adding things like various rusty-orange and red daylilies to coordinate with the odd red of the rose. I need to transition from the existing pink angel roses at the bottom end of the bed, so I've added some peachy pink daylilies and the peachy miniature rose, which will then transition to the stronger orangy one and then on to the rusty oranges and reds. In the spring the colors will still be pinks, blues and lilac but change to the hotter colors for mid-late summer. That's the plan at least... :-)

Brenda - we enjoyed your skydiving thread! But think you're nuts! :-)

Michelle - I hope your DD adopts Julie's DH's approach to things. One needs to learn to 'respect' one's medical issues but do one's best not to let them define who you are. Admittedly, major changes happen with major medical issues and it can take some time to integrate it all into your life; you just have to keep on keeping on....

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Well I wound up not getting down to the studio today, It was just too gorgeous outside and there were a lot of Hummingbirds around, so, I decided to put the behemoth lens back on the camera and see if I could get any Hummingbird photos. I'm happy to report the birds cooperated!

{{gwi:174873}}

{{gwi:174874}}

{{gwi:174876}}

What a cutie!

• flowerluvr
    14 years ago

Hi, all!
    It's been another rainy day. We've gotten quite a bit of that lately, but I think the soybeans are enjoying it. Lol, maybe they'll make lots and lots of baby beans :)

Marie, I'm counting the days until I can take one of those naps. That's some of the best sleep there is!

Kathy, great shots of your garden. I can't wait to see it in person. I imagine I'll think of it a lot when we're knee deep in snow this winter.

Woody, you would not be the first person who thought that of me. Lol, and many thought it before I took the first jump ;)

Deanne, those hummingbirds shots are just too amazing! DH wandered in while I was looking at them, and ooohed and aaaahed. Hopefully, you'll inspire him to be the photographer in the family, since I so seldom get around to it.

Wow, I can't believe it's back to school time already. The school bus doesn't even come down our road anymore. I got my hair cut today, and when I told the receptionist I wanted to reschedule in 5 weeks, and she said October....HUH?Sent a little chill up my spine!!

I think I've managed to skirt the copyright problems on the skydive video. The link is in the post I made. So far, it has sound. The old stand-by, Photobucket came to the rescue!

Hubby says a dish of ice cream sounds good, and I concur! See ya all later!
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Lots of odd jobs done today, including some weeding, laundry, grocery shopping and more. The interior of the house could certainly stand improvement still! :(

I'm trying to teach Phoebe to roll in both directions with hand signs and treats. I obviously need to learn a better technique. She just doesn't understand...

We too have hummingbirds...but certainly not the photographic skills. Just wonderful Deanne!

Seems September is the time when ex wife is getting in gear to make trouble. DD is trying to think peaceful thoughts and help DSIL through these times.

Can someone tell me about Spiraea thunbergiiOgon? Does it bloom with pink flowers? Sure is lovely!

Night Night!
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Greetings from the ark. It's been raining for two and a half days now. On the plus side, I don't have to water when I get home at night! On the downside, the Northern Sea Oats have done a major flop onto the front sidewalk and will require some shovel pruning this weekend.

I had the nicest chat with my niece (my late brother's daughter) on facebook tonight. They are not close to us geographically, so it's nice to be able to keep in touch this way.

This is going to be brief because I need to pay some bills tonight. ugh!

TTYL, V.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Well Deanne, I'm happy you opted to take hummingbird pictures, they are neat.

Michelle , I really like the combo in V's card. My wiegelas never look that nice all summer, to hot and dry here.

Hi, Saucy in vacation land. Enjoy.

Woody did you take the sunflower picture on your mini vacation? Looking forward to more pictures.

Anita, you can pass that rain on to me please.

Kathy and Deanne, I like that combo at WFF too. Could it be Mellow Yellow Spirea? I could just about duplicate that combo by moving a few things.

PM . nice NG picture.

Bug, Like the cuddle nap picture. Niki is my excuse for sitting still sometimes while she takes a catnap in my lap.

I knocked some weeds down with the tiller in the veggie garden this morning and cleaned this pigsty this afternoon. I'm wiped out. So off to bed. Norma

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Bug, I'm thinking it has tiny white flowers. Need to check my pictures.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A warm and muggy evening here- IGoogle weather gadget says 95, and that is close to believable. Weve had very little weather like this in August so I cant really complain. Cooling trend is on the way for the weekend.

Saucy , nice to get the reports on the road from Maine, and we will of course expect photos upon your return. Ive got about 6 lists with possible IU itineraries scattered about my desk., lol.

Deanne, I think you are right about the Spirea ID and I think it was either Sue or Monique(the Shrub Queens ) who IDd it.I'm going to write on Moniques wall and ask her to come and look. Those Hummer pics are fantastic !

Brenda, I wish that was my garden , lol but Im afraid those are photos that I look at White Flower Farm last month ! I will however pledge to post California pics this winter to help you imagine yourself out of the snow drifts !

Woody I like your plans for the hot border I think there are many many red flowers that have the same tone as Hot Cocoa Gallardia Burgundy , which is way more terra-cotta ish than its name implies, and the Terra Cotta Yarrow too.

Needing a visit from Chelone.

Ship Ahoy V !

All for me, Im heading outside ..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I just checked Google. You're right!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We also have confirmation from Monique---'Ogon ' it is.

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another pic from WFF- did you get a shot of this area Deanne ?
    {{gwi:174878}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning all,

Well it looks like we are going to get the fringes of that hurricane tomorrow. Apparently there is a low pressure area coming up from the tropics and that storm that V.s been dealing with are all going to join up with hurricane Danny to create a hybrid storm. Should be interesting around here tomorrow morning. Ive got to run around today and move a few things and secure others. I think Ill put a cage of some kind around my fuchsia standard. It listed to the right after the last wind storm and I really dont want to lose that. ~~~ Im so happy you all enjoyed the Hummingbird pictures. These are the first good ones Ive ever gotten and Im so pleased to have caught t hem. I dont know if you noticed the polled on her head. So cute!

Kathy I forgot to tell you what that plant was in the chartreuse pot - that is a variegated Pepperomia. Im really loving that plant and would like to be able to keep it over winter this year. ~~ Love that other vignette you posted! Im really going to find a spot for that Echinacea Coconut Lime. I didnt get a picture of that one. Gorgeous!!!!

V. so that rain you are dealing with is coming here. We really can use the precipitation but Id like it better without the wind. Stay dry!

Woody, love the plan to shift the colors in your bed around the Hot Cocoa to hot colors. Im looking forward to see the results.

Brenda, you might be nuts but then so am I in a different way. I think it is so very neat that you do something so adventurous.

Anita, yes, Canon Mountain in Franconia Notch used to have the Old Man of the Mountains. The rock formation cracked off the face of the mountain about five years ago now. It is still our state logo.

Saucy, I Googled it and that passion flower vine is Passiflora aurantica. You should get some cuttings of it when you come up.

Another couple pics from WFF. I want to know how they keep the slugs off the Rex Begonias.
    {{gwi:174880}}

{{gwi:174881}}

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• jak1
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone, and to quote somebody famous, TGIF!

Today I have to follow in V's footsteps and pay bills. "UGH!" is right. But must be done.Yesterday I started to clean up the area around the garden shed. Since we moved it to its present location, I had left extra bricks, some rubbish, and whatnot behind it there, so now I have cleaned all that out and have started the cardboard-and-mulch thing. Who was it that posted something a long time ago about dumpster diving for cardboard? That came to me yesterday as I was wondering how I will get enough....

In mid-task we got a call from DD, who had taken TCS to Silver Lake camping - that they were freezing and could we just drop by the campground with a few warm clothes and a quilt or two? A glass of wine and a sit-down by the lake was offered, so we downed tools and away we went. A pleasant respite from our self-driven routine! TCS is fine again, just had to openup a bit maybe. DD is amazing with him, so her visit with him is well timed. Also DS called to say that his situation has been dealt with satisfactorily and my worries were for nothing. Isn't that the case with lots of parenting? You worry your head off, and things resolve, then another thing raises its ugly head, you worry your head off, the thing resolves....

I did manage to get the Tanguticas planted along the Spite Fence yesterday, and sprinkled some Critter Ridder there to keep Tucky and Ajax away from them. A little water each day will help the plants establish themselves and perhaps my Wall of Yellow is on its way! Today after I finish yesterday's interrupted tasks I will plant the Virginia Creeper on the remaining sections. Theoretically, my "heavy" garden work is done for this year.

Last night it was 7C here, 44F, and we quickly removed the glass from the fireplace door so we could clean it and put it back prior to lighting the pilot light. It won't be long before we need the fire in the evenings.

Thinking of the need for warm fires makes me think of Marian, MIA for a few weeks now, and Chelone, with her two soapstone woodstoves. I hope they are both o.k. And of course 'Bug will be hauling some wood closer to the house soon too. Fall is upon us in the North and East....

Deanne, the hummer photos are, well, fabu fabu! When I first read about the Hummer pictures, I thought "But they drive a Suburban...." *LOL* I should have known better!

Woody, your mini vacation sounds and looks wonderful. I too would have yanked the two errant dandelions, much to my DH's embarassment! Once a gardener, always a gardener!

'Bug, your family pics are great. I too love the DD, Skyler, and Ivy singing together one, Ivy is just so intent!

I have to run off and get my day started now. It is forecasted to rain for the week-end here, so outdoor stuff will take precedence this morning, and then I hope to shovel out the inside of the house and maybe cook a decent dinner for once. TCS will be back home then, and he and I must sit down and plan our exhibits for the local fair next week. And have some serious discussions about back-to-school routines. Already! Amazing how the days just fly by!

Cheers all!

Julie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Hi all....no time to post this morning. It is gray and cool outside in anticipation for tomorrow's touch of Hurricane Danny and I need to get outside and get some things done, since I don't think there'll be much gardening going on all weekend.

I had to stop by and say how amazing those Hummingbird photos are Deanne!! I don't understand how your camera can almost stop the action on those wings. I read that they beat 50 times a second, so that's pretty fast! I hope you don't mind, I sent them to my DD this morning. She has seen some of your other bird photos and found them just amazing too. Wonderful!

I'm sure I'm missing lots, but I'll catch up later. Have a great day!

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Happy Friday all - wow what great photos. Im stunned by them all, but particularly those hummers, Deanne -- I actually love the first shot the most just because one so seldom sees the backs of them in photos and it's such a stunnning green....

It's been a really really busy work week along w/ the "usual" commuting nitemares with metro... so no idyll time. but Im now curious to see what other vignettes at WFF I took too -- I have that lily & echinacea shot, Kathy -- in fact it's been on my monitor at the awfice for daydreaming....

Hope to get back later to comment. Hope everyone has a not so drenching weekend - I'd like some rain, but not the tropical sort...

-Cindy

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

I've been working like mad to get the new coop completed to the point where it can be wheeled into position at the bottom of the yard. I'm not sure I'll make it before this weekend's dousing but the end is in sight.

Yesterday was the ultimate cheapskate's dilema. Determined not to spend any more than absolutely necessary on materials I picked up some "Oops" paint for one dollar at HD. I'd been eying the selection for ages and this was the first outdoor paint I could live with (or so I thought). Instead of a muted brown it came out looking as if lavendar and pink had been mixed with chocolate. Not an "Oops" but rather a "Yuk"!

The chicken's won't care two hoots (or clucks) what color their house is but as it will be visisble from our living room window I decided to plonk down the money for a can of a decent color. I was at HD when they opened and had the whole thing painted a soft brown called Fawn by the time DH got up. He had seen the henhouse late last night arriving home at 1 AM from a trip, but had not formed an opinion. When he saw the newly painted version he announced "You're quite right, it is a gross color!". What's a hen keeper to do?

Mary

PS the pictures have all been fabulous and Deanne's hummingbirds are totally amazing - one of the neatest things I've seen.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Catching up here after a quick Edge & Eliminate Weed session. (EEW) It looks better only near the edges and not all roots were dug. BLUSH!

Julie, I'd really like ideas from you (and everyone else) on the return to school routines for Adrian. Sarah quizzed me on this for their house and it is a real dilemma. Skyler needs major work on morning preparation, lunch AND school work. Last year Sarah sent him with whatever he gathered, which meant that books and assignments and lunch were often missing. Her theory was that it is HIS issue and he must deal with the consequences. Unfortunately, even after priming the teachers, they feel sorry for him and feed him junk food etc, share books, don't penalize for late homework. His mother of course gets into the act as well. She'd really like ideas for this. He, unfortunately, loves the junk food and attention and doesn't really care about pride in doing better on the responsibility front. His mother's solution? Send him to private school next year at Dad's expense. Yeah, right.... So all suggestions accepted!!!

Off to prepare for my houseguest now.

Happy TGIF buddies!
    'bug

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Hello, Mr. Hummer! Deanne, you've really bagged some amazing photos, even by your standards of photography.

Mary, the chicken coop paint escapade brought a smile, especially DH's dry reaction...

Sounds like batten down the hatches on the Eastern seaboard for the "hybrid" storm. Here the firestorms rage, brought on by the heat wave.

Julie, it's good to hear things are smoothed over a bit. I agree, it does seem sometimes we go from crisis to crisis...good job on the Spite Wall. Shrouding it in plants must be very satisfying!

The WFF perennial photos are sensational. Perennials just don't behave that way in zone 10 and grow all out of sync like an orchestra off key, if they break dormancy at all. Ditto that lovely spiraea that's been group ID'd.

Brenda, way to go! Has your example increased any desire to hurtle myself from a plane? Honestly, no...

I've been mulling over 'bug's DH going to his 50th HS reunion, who knows why. Can people be evenly divided into two camps, those that go to HS reunions and those who don't? This morning Marty commented that on last night's work shift, around 10:30 p.m., while out working on the fountain he maintains he bumped into a work mate, same age as Marty. What are you doing out this time of night, Marty asks. Work mate: Attending my eighth grade reunion. Marty: Really? How was the turnout? Work mate: Great! (for Kathy's local knowledge, this reunion took place in San Pedro, a very clannish port town)

Lol, Norma, is that a real pigsty or just a term of art for housecleaning ;)

Yesterday I had a bone density scan scheduled for 9:50 a.m., but upon arrival receptionist informs that no such appt existed. I could have one later that day at 1:50 p.m. What to do? Accept appt and head off to nurseries for the interval, of course. For the gaps where the crocosmia has been cut down I bought some bronze fennel and also found small pots of Libertia peregrinans, a good deal. All were planted last night around twilight, and temp was still over 90. In my interval wanderings, I found an exotic plant nursery that had amazing bromeliads and tillandsias, some gorgeous cultivars of neoregelias for $20, tempting but still pricy for one plant. Today brings non-buyer's remorse -- wished I'd brought one home, as it was a good price for their size. Check out Raphael below.

I did successfully move that salvia into the biggest receptacle at hand. Took at least an hour to "mongo" it out of the pot, with two helpers (bet the helpmeet knows the provenance of that verb, a certain Mel Brooks movie...)

{{gwi:174882}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • flowerluvr
    14 years ago

Hi, Idylls!!
    Lol, well, Kathy...that'll teach me to think I can speed-read! Great pictures, all the same. I see you and Deanne liked the same combo. Is that sedum "Hab's Grey", by any chance?

Now, Denise...there are people who are perfectly willing to hurtle you. No need to do everything for yourself, lol! I have a feeling I'm going to spend a great deal of time this winter figuring out what my next move will be with the skydiving thing. That salvia is CRAZY big!

Today has been chilly and rainy. This morning, I thought I'd really take the bull by the horns...catch up laundry and housework. Yeah, none of that happened. DS came over and hung out for quite a while, and I don't know..the day just went by. Tomorrow for SURE!

I'm going to pop over and see Woody's mini-vacation. When I'm away for a while, I forget what a goldmine of wonderful pictures this place is :)
    Take care, all.
    Brenda

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TGIF to one and all I note that Denise and I are having the same unpleasant weather we are still experiencing this weird afternoon overcast hot and cloudy do not usually go hand in hand here, it feels a bit tropical. I am going to kick back tonight , have a glass of wine or two, do a couple of piddly household chores , and tomorrow morning its off to the garden center with my ever-expanding plant list. One of my fave garden centers over in Sonoma County starts their annual fall sale next week- it lasts the whole month , and plants are 30% off. I will take that journey on the holiday weekend-they usually have fabu succulents there .

I just had to laugh his morning when I snuck into the Idylls at the awfice and saw Deannes photos of WWF ..I wonder how many more pics we took of the same views ! Deanne, I have to say that I am gratified that I saw some of the same compositions you did it really makes me feel like I am improving in my photography skills. I sure have learned a lot from looking at your photos over the last few years. I find myself going through my photos with a critical eye multiple times I often can see what my shortcomings are and try to correct them the next time.

Denise, nice repurposing of the trusty galvanized garbage can ! I am in the non-reunion camp , although I went to the 5th. I attended a relatively small all-girls Catholic school -I think there were maybe 100 girls in our graduating class.

More tomorrow

Kathy in Napa

• wendy2
    14 years ago

Good evening! It is raining softly now, a prelude to the expected tropical downpours for tomorrow. Things are getting dry around here and we could use a good soaking, but couldn't it be on a work day?

The Red Sox are playing tonite, and I removed myself from the viewing area. DH and DD claim that if I talk during the other team's at bat, they tend to score (nice, huh?). I think talking to my imaginary friends on the computer won't count since I am not opening my mouth.

Deanne, those hummingbirds are spectacular. Such amazing detail. Tell me, who followed who around at White Flower Farm, LOL? Great gardeners think alike!

Hi Norma!

Mary, maybe DH really loves the new color but thought he was looking at the old awful color and wanted to agree with you? We bought several cans of "oops" paint for DS's backyard fort a few years ago, and my brother had the idea to mix all of the various shades together to get dark brown. The structure sort of fades into the background in the woods now, just what I had hoped to accomplish.

'bug, my son is 12 and entering 7th grade this year. He is very disorganized, and the morning get-ready-for-school dance has always been a struggle. When he was younger, I posted a checklist on the fridge of things he needed to do to get ready. He now pretty much follows a set routine; getting himself out of bed with his own alarm clock and going on from there. Sometimes I feel like the goat herder, moving him along when he stops to "graze" - he is easily distracted. Homework is always done at a set time each day (usually discussed in the car on the way out of school - he gets to choose the time, within reason). Completed homework is placed in the backpack immediately, not allowed to linger where it will be forgotten. He has spent a few lunchtimes with a certain math teacher, re-doing forgotten assignments; after that he was pretty good about remembering. The school actually gives each student an agenda book that they carry to each class to write down assignments, then they can be checked off at home. As far as lunch, I don't pack a lunch for him anymore, he buys lunch in school. The school started a debit system last year which is great, I send a check each month he enters a PIN number when he passes through the line. When I did pack a lunch, I usually placed it either on the backpack or on his coat so it would be seen on the way out the door. Once in a while DS saunters out the door without the essential backpack, at that point I have to step in and say something. I think the key is to prepare as much the night before as possible, and stick to a routine.

Well, I'm going to give up my computer seat, DD has passed through this room several times now, waiting for her computer turn. She is writing the great American novel, who am I to stand in her way?

Have a great night all!

-Wendy

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

We've finally shipped out the rain to the East Coast Idylls and it was a pleasant evening here. Unfortunately, we may have record low temps in the low forties before the weekend is out. Please note that is also before August is out. I am not relishing the thought of shuttling the tropicals into the garage.

It was a pleasantly successful day at work today. I designed an attractive order form for a new product we are carrying, gave a tour to some prospective customers who were full of praise and bought quite a bit on the spot, and I was very pleased with the weekly photo email that I pulled together. Hmm, somewhere in there I actually did a little accounting work, but the other stuff was a lot more fun, even if we did tour in the rain!

Mary, I suspect that I know exactly what your first color looked like - it sounds like the paint my DH's grandfather used in the cabin many years ago! We finally repainted the benches there a deep red and it was a huge improvement. As for your DH's comment, I vote for moving him into the chicken coop!

Kathy, I would echo your comments about Deanne teaching you to be a better photographer. I know I have improved my skills from viewing so many of her great photos over the years.

Well, I was just roped into helping DH pick up a ginormous generator to use in his weekend project, so I've now run out of time. later!

V.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

This houseguest is DANGEROUS! I've bought a new shirt, a quilt and pillow shams, and then there was a nursery visit! (a delphinium, a cimicifuga and 2 gentians...) I'm beyond my checking account and have moved on to Visa. Tomorrow is another day too...So I for one will be happy to see September's money in the account soon.

I planted a whole bunch of ghetto plants today. Hope they all work out well together: heucheras, foxgloves, grasses and gentians by a rock...and also the cimicifuga. There's a BIG grass that tempted me too. Maybe tomorrow?

It is raining harder now than before dinner...and I'm glad. I'm sure it will make weeding easier next week. ;) Trouble is, Phoebe didn't like to go out before bedtime.

Thanks Wendy for the rundown on age 12 organizational skills. We've been through checklists and rewards etc in the past. I wish his teachers made lunchtime dates for make-up work! No support there in his case. They all feel sorry for him with his hearing loss and don't see that they are not helping the situation by coddling him. Another friend suggested that we make a tape of reminders that must be played each morning on his i-pod. For him that just might work too. UGH. Anyway, easier for a tape to repeat than a parent.

Missing the busy ones here...hoping it is holidays and fun keeping them quiet and not overwork, health or computer woes. Marian? Chelone? and others too!

The rain sounds really pleasant tonight!
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good evening

A doze on the sofa this evening is the kiss of death for a good night's sleep for me so I thought I'd peek in at the Idylls.

GB - what a hard situation for Sarah. It sounds as if she has exactly the right ideas but little backup where it counts. Perhaps a new teacher will be more supportive, especially with Sarah's straight forward and practical approach. If nothing else, a firm stand against feeding junk food should be possible, with as stash of healthy but boring rations deposited to cover missing lunches. Obviously the rules at Skyar's other home will be different but if he learns independence at one house it will be more than half the battle.

Wendy - Annie is writing a novel too but has her own word processor (but not internet) in her room which relieves the family computer. It is completely private at this point in time so I couldn't tell you a word about it. She did get a poem published in her high school lit mag last year - the only freshman in a publication of mostly senior work.

V - I hope you're not sending your cold our way too, Brrrr. What project is your DH embarking on?

Kathy and Deanne - I love the shared views from WFF. Deanne - did you ever get a Begonia?

The saga of the henhouse continues. Fearing the ground would be too wet if I waited till the weekend I enlisted DH's help to move it the hundred or so feet from the garage, down the slope of the lawn to the chicken enclosure. The crate/henhouse is on wheels, but is heavy and unwealdy. Dragging it down was not our finest moment of working together and I hope the neighbors were not listening. We got it in place just before the rain started.

Deciding DH might be a little more kindly disposed to my handywork if it were painted a better color I headed back to HD, chaffing at the thought that he had not appreciated any of my hard work. DH called while I was selecting paint to make ammends and asked which brand I was choosing. When I told him he responded that was good, as he heard they had a special color called "Sh@tty Henhouse Brown" LOL! Meanwhile the chickens will go nowhere near their new home.

Well, I should probably have another attempt at sleep as I have a market run early in the morning and it is David's 13th birthday. I'm still trying to figure out how I've come to have two teenagers.

Mary

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good morning.... :-)

Nice to see chatty posts this morning from the night shift.

Wendy, I thought of you yesterday when I read about what's going on in Louisville Kentucky with the Football coach that's on trial because of a boy on his team that died from heat stroke. Made me angry to read about the lack of common sense this coach had. He's been charged with reckless homicide. The town is having a meltdown, taking the coach's side for the most part and ostracizing the poor parents of the dead boy because they pushed for prosecution. There's a lot of talk about changing football practices so they're not done in the heat. I don't understand why it takes something like that happening before people make real changes. Four high school football players died last year of heat stroke. So kudos to you and DH for making a good decision for your daughter.

Saucy....I was laying in bed this morning thinking about what to have for breakfast and for some reason a picture of your bottles of honey came into my head. lol It got me thinking...I wonder if anyone in your family has been stung since having the bee hives? .....The housewarming window box I gave DD didn't work out too well. She is not consistent enough with the watering. She is a very busy person though and I figure, at least she has had an opportunity to discover that it isn't as easy as it looks. [g] I think she will get around to learning to grow things at some point when she is ready. Her new digs has a roof deck above three stories with a view, but I can't see her growing much up there without a water source. Maybe next year a couple of pots of succulents and sedums? But I'm planning to give her mums and pansies for her large pot for near her front door. Her second house warming gift is a water filter for the shower head.

When is Honey and Michelle's get together? Hope we're going to see photos.

Anita, a trip to Italy is a great idea for a 25th wedding anniversary. Is that a year from this coming October? Has that been something you both have wanted to do for awhile?

Denise....I was watching the coverage of the fires out your way. Very scary! I can't imagine how you all deal with that every year, just about. I wonder how many years that you have been having these fires?

Deanne and Kathy, great shots of WFF and that photo of the smokebush and spirea is almost exactly alike. lol Does anyone know which spirea that is? 'Goldmound' maybe? Does anyone have that particular smokebush? I can't decide if I like the dark one or the gold one. That smoke bush looks perfectly pruned. it has such nice structure. I wonder if they are difficult to get right?

Norma....are you getting the rain we're having?

Well...I didn't get to read everyone's posts, but I'll come back later. I'm starving. lol It is raining and I'm very happy about that. I'll leave you with one of my favorite songs about rain. It reminds me of a few summer vacations when I was a kid....

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all, its pouring buckets outside today and they are predicting 3 to 5 inches of rain. Im not at all unhappy with this as its been very dry the last few weeks and things under the trees were really dried out. Its a good day to hunker down in the studio and get some work done and deal with some indoor projects. Hopefully Doug will fix my closet shelf with pulled out of the wall a couple weeks ago. ~~ I ran around yesterday getting all the plants on pedestals off of them and onto the ground and pruning back many of the coleus getting ready for this storm. I also put five stakes around the head of the large fuchsia standard in the cement urn. Id be really sad if that one broke and I cant move that urn to a safer location.

Julie, I LOL over youre reading about the "Hummer" and thinking "but they drive a Suburban". Too funny!

PM for the hummer shots I had my camera set at a high ISO setting (800)with aperture priority at F10 (to gain enough depth of field for the whole bird to be in focus) Anyway, in full sun that will give you a shutter speed of 1/1200 of a second or so, and at that it amazes me that it doesnt quite completely eliminate the wing blur. ~~ I really like that purple smokebush as well and think Im going to replace my lilac in the front of the house with one.

Mary, Im rolling on the floor laughing over your chicken coop stories. You are just too funny! And I can imagine you and DH moving it to the chicken enclosure with much discussion.

Denise, that salvia is enormous!!!! What is it planted in? it looks almost like a galvanized can. Is that a Xanthosoma Lime Zinger? I lust for one of those plants. Gorgeous vignette. I loved reading about the plants and really adore that Neoregelia Raphael. I have to keep a search window open when I read about the plants you find. So many are unfamiliar to me.

Kathy, I absolutely cannot believe those two pictures!!!!! What a HOOT! I guess we think and see alike. They are framed exactly the same too. Its amazing. Many thanks to you and V. for the kind thoughts about my pictures. I really believe that taking good pics is a matter of taking thousands of pics. As with everything experience and practice make a huge difference.

Wendy,, Seriously, I dont remember paying any particular attention to what Kathy was photographing and vice versa. So funny we saw the same vignettes.

V. The sedum is blooming again and yes, the flowers are that yellow. I kept thinking to myself that they werent as bright yellow as Id remembered but they are. The plant is slightly larger than last year and Im hoping it gains some size next year so I can move it to a better location.
    {{gwi:174903}}

Bug, sounds like you are having a great time with all your company.
    I ran out and took some pics yesterday with the slight overcast we had in the AM. Perfect light for garden photography. I cant get over how much color the container garden on the west fence line adds to the back yard.
    {{gwi:174905}}

Bug Polish Spirit is giving me a nice rebloom right now.
    {{gwi:174907}}

One of the window boxes on the shed. Dont you just love the color of iresine?
    {{gwi:174909}}

Have a great day all!
    Deanne

• chelone
    14 years ago

Some thoughts from one watching the Idyll train speed down the track and head into a far off turn... ;)

Amusing thoughts involving a grudgingly mobile henhouse in a less-than-pleasing palette, and hens that want no part of the entire operation, either. They certainly are cautious, aren't they? Sensational news on the work front, Mary... what a relief that must be for you. Excellent news all around!

Hummingbird shots are some of your best, I think, Deanne. I particularly like the palette in them... the handsome "Army green" punctuated by the brilliant blue, very pleasing to my eye. And the stop action is really super.

Pre-diabetes must be scarey, Michelle. But as Julie's DH points out, it's a question of maintenance and taking control of it. And a fine example he offers. Love what you've done with the entry to your home... I'm so far behind here I've probably missed the completed project, but did chuckle about running over the screen door. Happy no lasting damage was inflicted. :)

Wood for the house stove is all under cover and properly cured... two cord, nicely packed into place no doubt providing Section 8 housing for an assortment of displaced mice. It will provide countless hours of entertainment for the pride in the coming months. Wood for the Salon has been neatly stacked along the north wall of the bahn next to the door and has a discreet cover that can be neatly and easily flipped back as needed. Have more on the ground and ready to split, too.

Tree Boy was here earlier this week and took down the arching maple trunk in the centre of the circle, yielding still more firewood to be split and stacked. The Hydrangeas will appreciate the increased sunlight, though it arrived too late this year. The eastern side of the remaining trunk is looking pretty puny but it will fill in nicely in the next few years. In all, a nice improvement to the overall aesthetic. Garden work is progressingly at a glacial pace, but that's how it goes when you undertake building and landscaping on your own.

Next on the radar is getting the fencing for Vegetable World in place; this is something near and dear to the Helpmeet and something that will greatly "clean up" and give a little "polish" to what has become a rather seedy part of the Compound. I get terribly discouraged when I look around and see the extent of what must be done and the amount of time and money available to accomplish it. But, again, these are the choices we've made and the burdens under which me must labor.

It feels as though everything is just plain "hard" these days. Work is presently a challenge but not without bright spots, so I can't gripe too long or too loudly and maintain much credibility. ;) All the machines I really use regularly are in the Salon but the mechanic still needs to be contacted for "mechanical spa day"; I just haven't gotten around to getting that done. I have as much work as I wish to undertake right now, perhaps a little too much actually. There is much I wish to do on a more personal level that seems to fall off the screen with maddening regularity.

No reunions for me, either I know there have been several over the years but I've never received any sort of notification nor have I exerted much curiosity as to their timing/location.

Chilly and clammy today, just as predicted. I've noted an increasing NE wind, which is decidedly raw. I've scurried around closing all the windows for the first time in nearly 2 weeks. I doubt there will be a fire tonight, though I suspect the loads of laundry will require more than a few hours to dry. Boiler room capacity is limited.

That's all for now.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

It's 57 degrees at 8:00 am. Brr? But it will be a good morning to yank out the common goldenrod that snuck into a couple of my beds.

Mary, are you quite sure you don't have three teenagers? ;)

The project that DH and two of his friends are working on has been dubbed the "deer condo". It's going to be a large, enclosed platform, with a stairway instead of a ladder, back in the woods for deer hunting. Of course, deer hunting is only a handful of days per year, so it will be a nice spot to go with a bottle of wine, or thermos of hot chocolate and a camera and notebook. Here's a photo of it in progress:

{{gwi:174911}}

DH thought it was a rather flattering shot of himself. I actually climbed up the ladder and went onto the platform, but I will be much happier when the stairs go in. You'll notice the ladder does not quite reach the top right now; my fear of heights did not like it when my feet were dangling over the edge looking for the first step. (I threw my birkies down to the ground first, not because I thought they would slip off my feet but because I wanted to FEEL that ladder under my feet!)

After the stairway is done, they will add walls, a roof and sliding windows with screens. There will be no electricity and no lazy boy recliners!

Time to get some (warm) clothes on and eradicate the goldenrod. Enjoy your weekend!

V.

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

V - what an excellent project. Throw some chicken wire around the lower level and it could double as an excellent chicken coop!

Thank you for the dose of morning gorgeousness Deanne:0) The Irisene is a fabulous plant and looks amazing with your combo.

Chelone - nice to hear from you. DH was up your way this week, in Cushing, Maine. He drove through Boothbay Harbour and I told him how much fun we had at the Lobster Shack. Wish we could do it all over again.

I've smartened up my thinking and decided to have DH pickout the next color for the henhouse. Painting could be in my future if the rain lets off long enough. Meanwhile, I have a birthday cake to bake - a Plum, Almond Torte.

Mary

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Where can I get me a can of some Sh*tty Henhouse Brown? (lol, I think that may be the color our house has faded to...)

Very exciting to read of two budding novelists in our midst.

Love the deer condo. I think I'm perpetually stuck in a childhood fort/clubhouse mode and really enjoy such small spaces.

PM, I've got some reading for you regarding fires, lol. Short version: the ecosystem is based on fire, going back tens of thousands of years. Many species of plants require it for germination. I'll hunt up an article for you.

Doing more reading than commenting this a.m. Off to show my folks a mobile home park open house. Tra la!

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Here's the story for the day. Yesterday, my in-laws' church had a BBQ pork chop dinner as a fundraiser. They had "Drive Thru" service, so I chose that option. While I was waiting for our two dinners, a lady offered a tray of desserts (think drive-up bake sale) and I selected a piece of chocolate cake. Rummaging through my wallet, I apologized that I only had a $20 to pay for my $1 dessert, but she said they had lots of change. She returned in a few minutes, and I just set all the bills in the center of my wallet, not in the bill compartment, closed it and headed out so I didn't delay the line.

Today, I opened my wallet - you should have seen my jaw drop as the bills splayed out, revealing a $10, 4 $1's and a $50. OOPS! It was a lucky thing that I had left that change separate like that, otherwise it would have been days before I discovered the $50 and then not known where it had come from. The $50 has been delivered to the in-laws, who were going to call the person in charge of tallying the receipts to let her know.

You're all probably sick of hearing this, but the egrets have been flying around most of the morning. One flew right over the garden, then did a sharp turn and and dive into the wetlands - it was like an air show!

Lunch is beckoning!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After 3 days of heat (100 on the agenda for today) my entire garden will look like Sh*tty Henhouse Brown. Glad I got to the garden center early, but planting anything in this heat is out of the question. Already closing the house up and expecting the A/C to cycle on relatively earlier than usual- its set at 78. Salad for lunch and more salad for dinner !

Hi Ho Chelone, what goings on there are at the compound- and I wish you well on the quest to beautify veggie world. I can imagine how daunting it must be at times to address issues on such a large property, and finding the balance between the wild and the cultivated in a sensitive way. There are times when even my eeny little garden seems overwhelming. However, that does not seem to prevent me from Buying More Plants.

Nice treehouse there V !

I gazed at that very Iresene at the garden center this morning Deanne, very large plants in gallons, but at this point in the year I opted out. That window box looks fabu ! What is the name of the trailing coleus on the right ?

Ok, time to finish up the watering and start on inside stuff

Heres a photo from the lovely garden of Les and Moniquewhat great shrubs and grasses they have ! {{gwi:174914}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Later folks...

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

How fine to visit Les & Monique's tonight! Also, fun to see Polish Spirit blooming away at Deanne's. That's one great clematis, reliable. I like Blue Belle in the same way. Both achieve a good size.

I will NOT tire of Egret photos or Egret tales.

Today was another busy day of adventure. Houseguest and I ventured forth to collect Honorine Jobert anemones for her city garden. I of course collected the Prairie Fire grass that was calling my name. I hope to plant that tomorrow instead of a sickly shrub.

Later we shopped a bit in nearby Elora and then bought take-out sandwiches to eat later on. Onward we went to visit a welder who makes garden ornaments and structures. I fell in love with this man...woops, with his structures I should say I guess. He is so sweet and cute though. Anyway, I placed an order for 3 supports for clematis to attach to my garage, one for Betty Corning in particular. This man likes to modify designs to suit the purpose, so I asked for a 6 foot height rather than 5 1/2, longer spikes into the ground and an added horizontal bar. I'm very excited to find exactly what I want at a reasonable price. They should be ready by October. YES!

This sweet man showed us baby puppies at his farm, gave us a tour of his barns, then showed us this amazing back room of his house with a wonderful red trim around windows and cupboards. There was an amazingly long farm table for a large family too. What a lovely room it was! Then he wanted to show us work he did on an old schoolhouse cupola, the fencing for a churchyard and other items for neighbours. Then he took us to see his friends whose house was built by the same man as his own. The friend is the carpenter who built the long table, the wife is a gardener who was moving lady's mantle around to edge a long bed. She had a fine bush clematis in intense blue, a kirengeshoma palmata in bloom, and several other nice plants. A very interesting couple who have taught in Nunavut in the past.

What interested me in particular were the young trees they have planted in an orchard type space. There were Mountain ash trees, cornus alternifolia and many more. She chided her husband for always buying 4 inch plants in styrofoam containers. I got a good laugh over that! But best of all was seeing her Heptacodium in bloom! This tree was so gorgeous and mine so pathetic that I had to take note. Hers is in full sun...mine in semi shade. I MUST find a sunnier spot for mine to flourish fast!

(I didn't take my camera because I'm having trouble posting photos while DH is away.)

On our way home we located Mapleton Organics and came home with Capucinno ice cream for dessert. (Gluten free Mary!) Beforehand we gobbled shrimp and had a nice salad with toasted almonds and feta. The white wine was good too. ;)

Mary, I'm awaiting news of DH's choice of colour for the hen house...Your tales of DH and various requests for assistance are so familiar. Why must each one be met with such critical response? Having my house guest OFFER to help install a new bed "dust ruffle" made things so easy! Then having the gentleman OFFER to DELIVER the new clematis supports was like the answer to a prayer. Makes me wonder why I jump when DH asks for help. Oh well, 41 years and onward!

Time to try for a long night's sleep. Wishing all well on this fine weekend. (Supposed to be 41F tonight too!!!)
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How I enjoyed reading the story of bugs day ! And anticipate photos of the new supports when they are delivered.

My day was spent mostly indoors not the way I like to spend my summer weekends, but it was hideously hot today here. I have just now, at almost 9pm , started to open the place up ;the AC has been going all day . New plants are in the garage- I was home from the garden center by 10am. Some of the newbies:

C. Summer Sorbet
    Phormium Tiny Tiger
    Salvia Wendys Wish
    Salvia lyrata Purple Knockout
    Eupatoriam Chocolate
    Acalypha La Bamba
    Hebe Wiri Blush
    Chasmanthium latifolium

Only supposed to be 82 tomorrow- hope that is accurate ! In the meantime I ponder the rains and cool temps that my friends in NE experience as Danny winds down.

Waving to all, and wonder what Marys DH will select as the color on Bettys new digs ?
    Here is a really bad photo of the Chicken residence at Annies Annualsnot my finest moment with the camera, but you get the idea. {{gwi:174917}}From Annies Annuals June 2009

Waving to all

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good evening.... :-)

I fell asleep with the TV on about 10pm and it woke me up at midnight and now I can't get back to sleep. So, I'm up, using the battery on the laptop until it runs out.

Kathy, I can commiserate with you, I also spent the day indoors except for a brief trip to Lowe's just before dinner. It was wet and instead of getting right out in the garden as usual on a Saturday morning, we decided to try to tackle some of the attic for a couple of hours. Later in the day, I found myself in a very glum mood. Hurricane Danny, Ted Kennedy memorials and sorting through boxes is a lethal combination. Danny, btw, was a non event here for me. Very little wind and fairly steady rain but that was about it.

I did pick up another shrub at Lowe's. 'Scarlet O'Hara' Pieris. It's been on my list for awhile. GWTW is my favorite book so I love the name and the shrub is not half bad either. [g] I have too many shrubs in pots right now. Their new homes are presently occupied waiting for someone to evict them, and I'm starting to feel a little tense. Will they get into the ground in the correct place this year, or not? That is the perennial question. I called someone about a bobcat actually a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a call back yet.

That hen house is a riot, Kathy. I hope you are inspired, Mary. :-)

Love your new tree house, V. I've always been a fan of tree houses. Especially love that your son can build it and has friends that can help. Very useful skills to have.

Denise, I didn't figure out that you had that Salvia in a galvanized can until Deanne caught it. omg, that is HUGE! lol

I have been enjoying everyone's news, but my battery is already low, which it shouldn't be, so I guess a call to Apple this weekend too. Off to read a book....

Good night....

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all,

As PM said the storm here was a non-event as regards to wind. We did get quite a bit of rain out of it and that is a good thing. Of course it is probably my fault that we didnt get any wind, I ran around like a crazy thing all day on Friday putting all the plants on pedestals on the ground, putting a few things in the garage, adding extra staking to things and pruning off coleus foliage I thought would get broken in the wind and rain. Well, all that extra work was unnecessary as we didnt get any wind. LOL Too funny.

V, I absolutely love your tree house! How cool is that to have an adult tree house.

Mary, LOL about letting DH choose the color of the hen house.. te he.

Kathy, love the pic of Monique and Les gardens. They are amazing arent they? ~~ Love your plants list, is Acalypha hardy where you are? ~~ love the artwork on the henhouse!

Bug, it sounds like you had a fabu day! Cant wait to see those clematis supports. I wished you were closer as I need a trellis for my Betty Corning too. She is behemoth!

OKie Dokie, Im out of here, have a great Sunday everyone
    Deanne

• deanneart
    14 years ago

This one is a bit different but the same vignette
    {{gwi:174919}}

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Kathy, love the chicken house at Annie's!!!

Now Chasmanthium latifolium is gorgeous stuff, but I made sure to cut the beautiful seed heads for indoor use, otherwise it would take over the universe...

As to Chocolate Eupatorium, I love it. I have two. It blooms very late here and has not begun so far. I have to be careful as it wilts in direct sun unless watered daily. I enjoy it even if it has no blooms at all.

You are a tease with your C. Summer Sorbet. Is this the new Caryopteris? Photo please!!!

I got a mixed report from DH's reunion day 1 experiences. It is hard to identify anyone, it seems, particularly after 50 years. One woman was celebrating her 50th wedding anniversary as well! One man was not attending because he was in hospice care for pain, but somehow he managed to pull himself together and charm everyone. The most interesting tale from my point of view is this. DH went to school in Switzerland while in grade 7. He wrote to his friend, named Sarah, while there. His mother saved all those letters and they were given to him last Thursday night in box from his sister. He decided to give them to Sarah at the reunion dinner. Upon arrival, Sarah handed over a similar box of HIS letters that she had saved from grade 7! In university she had written an assignment, a character analysis of someone she had known. She wrote about DH and handed that paper over to him as well. He's not sure what to make of that at all, but still, interesting. Then there were two stories of people he hoped to meet again only to discover that one had died in 1955 of cancer and the other in Vietnam. It is interesting to hear him so curious about the lives of people, something he doesn't always make time for. It is good.

Time to get moving on breakfast for my house guest....

The sun is trying to break through here, so hoping for a FINE day for all.
    'bug

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Yes Deanne, Betty is a MONSTER! There are frequent tales on websites about her knocking things down in wind storms or being uprooted. Mine tends to fall off her trellis and pull it off the garage wall, so that is why I am searching for another solution. As Woody knows, she's a beauty. People often try to grow another clematis of contrasting colour with her, but often that ends up suffocating the companion. !!

14 years ago

gb - if I give up on Vyvyan Pennell because she is resolutely refusing to climb, do you think I would be able to plant Betty Corning there and have her climb all across the front porch railing? That would give her a lot of scope to wander without being able to pull anything down. There is no question that Betty is gorgeous and I want it! The railing is the only place I can think of that might accomodate her. Vyvyan's time is up - she is showing no signs of ever growing UP again! Trying to dig her out might be impossible though - it's a very tight spot and I have no idea how I got her into it in the first place!

The house smell like Christmas - we made a batch of mincemeat yesterday. Tomato chutney is on the agenda next.

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

I LOVE the decorated henhouse!! While the silly birds are not yet sleeping in their new digs here Betty did lay her morning egg in one of the new nesting boxes on the lower level (Yep, its a two story condominum!) I'm feeding them in there too so hopefully they will get the idea. The fact that they are so feather brained only adds to their charm:)

The lone quail has is becoming tamer and tamer and today he fed out of my hand. They are beautiful little birds and I'm so glad he appears to be staying with us.

GB - interesting to read about DH's reunion. I feel much is lost in the way of letter writing in our cyber age.

Woody - I have been on a bit of a preserving binge. So far I have made:
    Red Currant Jelly
    Blueberry Jam
    Honeyey blueberry preserves with nutmeg.
    Pickled garlic
    Spicy dill pickles
    Haberno gold jelly
    Balsamic glaze

I make small quantities of each but we seem to be going through them at an alarming rate.

David's birthday was fun, spent with neighbors and family. He started the day by running over the road at 7 AM where his best friend made him breakfast. She had slept on the sofa to be ready when he arrived. Their family had ordered him a case of his favorite natural cherry soda from Michigan which he thought was the coolest present. He had another family breakfast with us, opened presents, swimming in the afternoon, dinner out at our favorite Mexican restaurant, then cake with neighbours and a round of Pictionary.

Today there is a window of opportunity this morning before the rain starts up again so i should make hay while the sun shines (or at least pull a few weeds).

Mary

14 years ago

Mary - we need pictures of the hen condominium!!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning everyonefingers crossed that the weather pundits have handed us an accurate forcast, my garden could use an 80 degree day (me too !) and I need to get around this morning and snip off crispy flowers and burnt up foliage. First task is coffee however.

Bug, My Summer Sorbet is not much to look at right now, it appeared to have been at the garden center for awhile and lucky for it that it got to come home with me. Its been on my list for ages and I was so happy to find it link of a decent photo below. So I now have Longwood Blue, Worster Gold, and Summer Sorbet.

Well, Deanne, better to be safe than sorry I guess ! And least youll be ready with an action plan for the next big blow , lol.

OK, I better get outside with the pruners

Waving to all !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Looks fantastic Kathy...but zone 6 I am NOT... :(

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!