Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs_clare

#277 The August crawl

babs_clare
17 years ago

My mind is blank...thus the strange tidyll...then again it could be swimming on a nice hot Aug. day or that feeling Sue has of 'it's just too hot to do anything' in the garden lol. Mary's probably swimming: )....

~B

Comments (103)

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Baby Face, you've got the cutest little baby face
    There's not another one could take your place
    Baby face
    My poor heart is jumpin you sure have started somethin
    Baby face, I'm up in heaven when I'm in your fond embrace
    I didn't need a shove cause I just fell in love
    With your pretty baby face

Congratulations to T & Family! What exciting news! I'm so happy that everything went well... They are *beautiful* or should I say handsome? And Jamie is just the cutest big brother...*look* at that smile!

Bonnie Owens That (Those) Little Boy(s) of Mine! :-)

Who cares for fame or fortune
    Who cares for wealth or gold
    Because I find a fortune
    Within my arms I hold
    refrain:
    A tiny turned up nose
    Two cheeks just like a rose
    So sweet from head to toes
    That little boy of mine
    Two arms that hold me tight
    Two eyes that shine so bright
    Two lips that kiss goodnight
    That little boy of mine

No one will ever know
    Just what his coming has meant
    Because I love him so
    He's something heaven has sent
    He's all the world to me
    He climbs upon my knee
    To me he'll always be
    That little boy of mine

And when he lays his head
    Upon his pillow so white
    I pray the Lord above
    To guide him safe through the night
    In dreams I see his face
    And feel his fond embrace
    There's no one can replace
    That little boy of mine

I have so much to catch up with here, but no time now. Have been staying with mom and then racing around here when I get home at night. Mom and sis are doing great...thanks everyone! Sis is back at work and *loving* it. Maybe I'll be able to catch up this week-end.

Oh...DS has found a ring! :-) It's *so* pretty...I'm so tickled for him and for her...can't wait till she sees it. I'll try to post a pic of it when I can (hopefully on her finger) :-)!

Hi Babs! :-)

And Congratulations Sue...sorry I misssed your anniversary!

Okay, one more for the road...I'm just so giddy about the babies...Every time I scroll back and see Jamie's smile an instant smile pops on my face! :-)

Have a great day all! Ei

My boy lollipop
    You make my heart go giddy up
    You are as sweet as candy
    You are my sugar dandy
    Woe oh my boy lollipop
    You never, never leave me
    'cause it could grieve me
    My heart told me so

refrain:
    I love you I love you I love so
    But I don't want you to know.
    I need you I need you I need you so
    And I'll never let you go

Oh My boy lollipop
    You set the world on fire
    You are my one desire
    Woo my lollipop

My boy lollipop
    You set the world on fire
    You are my one desire
    Woo my lollipop
    Woo my lollipop
    My boy lollipop
    My boy lollipop

The Ronettes - Be My Baby

The night we met I knew I needed you so
    and if I had the chance I'd never let you go.
    So won't you say you love me,
    I'll make you so proud of me.
    We'll make 'em turn their heads every place we go.
    So won't you, please, BE MY BE MY BABY
    be my little. baby MY ONE AND ONLY BABY
    Say you'll be my darlin', BE MY BE MY BABY
    be my baby now. MY ONE AND ONLY BABY
    Wha-oh-oh-oh
    I'll make you happy, baby, just wait and see.
    For every kiss you give me I'll give you three.
    Oh, since the day I saw you
    I have been waiting for you.
    You know I will adore you 'til eternity.
    So won't you, please, BE MY BE MY BABY
    Wha-oh-oh-oh.

So come on and, please, BE MY BE MY BABY
    Wha-oh-oh-oh.
    BE MY BE MY BABY Be my little baby.
    MY ONE AND ONLY BABY Oh,
    BE MY BE MY BABY oh,
    MY ONE AND ONLY BABY wha-oh-oh-oh-oh.

• taryn
    17 years ago

Hi Jamie! Welcome to the world Josiah and Jake! T, I'm so happy for you all! Congrats!

Well, we are just cruising along here! Didn't get the keys until 6:15pm last night, but Glenn drove Christine the 2nd with one of the Aerostars down there, both loaded while I took the Kia. Our vendors left the house absolutely immaculately clean! How wonderful to know I can move food straight into the fridge etc!

And we got our cube van early, so packed it full of garden and garage stuff last night. Shane and Glenn left at 8:00am with that load. The other boys just woke up, and my Mum's still asleep, but I'm sure the coffee with wake her soon. I'm making scrambled eggs for breaky--sustenance required! Hit the acupuncturist yesterday and actually slept last night so am good to go so long as I don't bend over. My bro will be here in time for load 2 today. I'm hoping against hope Mum and I can clean here tomorrow after the movers have taken everything and we won't have to come back for that!

Babs, lol, I know, you owe me at the next IU3! Hehehe, you just 'presented' me with opportunities I couldn't resist! Glad y'all enjoyed the photos. Deanne I took those coleus standards with you in mind! Pity I ran out of batteries Sunday because Catigny's in particular was just stunning. Switched to my other rechargeables at Trudi's but they ran out of juice too soon as well. Always will have pics in my head though, what a great weekend!

Well, coffee is done and pan is ready for eggs, cedar plank soaking for bbq'd salmon later (I don't do pizza), so I'm off...

Have a great day, and will check in when I can...

T

PS 2,159 hits on Photobucket since I posted my pics so Babs your behind is famous!

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!!!

I'm getting ready to fly....I mean drive...into town so I can cuddle with some babies & make sure my daughter is okay. :o)

I did ask Jamie if his baby cousins could drive Gramps' bulldozer when they get bigger.....he hesitated but then said yes. I'm not sure which tripped him up.....was it the image of those tiny babies driving a dozer or sharing Gramps & Gramps' toys with others? LOL

I'm so thankful that the boys are here and that all seems to have gone well. I'll feel much better when I get to the hospital and can see that everyone is doing well. When we left yesterday the boys were only 3 hours old and DD was still floating on that Cloud Nine that new mom's are on right after being presented with such a miracle (or rather 2 miracles).

Thanks for all the wonderful comments....both here and privately.

Honey, love your toads! Sorry about the PC woes, hopefully it will be a quick and easy fix.

Michelle, I loved the luau photos! Your Kenzie is a doll and you have such a friendly & nice looking family.

Ei, glad your mother & sister are doing well. What a blessing it is to read that. :o)

Mary, miss you but so glad to read that you are having a great time visiting with your mum and other relatives.

Eden, you're often on my mind.

V, your new vehicle sounds great. I'm not familiar with what it looks like and have been scanning the local new looking cars on the road....I'll find one! lol I could look it up on the 'net, but this is a bit more fun. HEY, I lead a boring life......looking for a particular model of car adds some interest to this housewife's day. ;o)

Wow, Taryn 2,159 hits?!!! That is a bit disconcerting. I sometimes forget that we aren't just sitting around in someone's home, talking with those we can see-----that it is more like we're sharing in front of a auditorium full of strangers. :oP They may be nice strangers....but still gives a bit of an odd feeling.

Guess I'll wave hello to *everyone* LOL and wish all of you a good day!

T.

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Taryn...good GRIEF about 2,159 hits! Yesterday I was walking down the street and someone yelled 'Hey!That's babsclare-look at her BUM!'...OH wait that was just the nightmare I had in the middle of the night...lolol.
    This place is so full of excitement with T's grandbabys and you in true move mode-I feel just like Ei says-I can't help getting a giddy when I see those babies. I also remember moving day for my house and it is so fun despite the hard work...how lucky your new place is clean too! I sure hope you are having the same clear cool day we are-nothing is worse than a hot sticky day for moving.

Honey I forgot to add that I love those toads! They have such cute eyes and naturally I like their bumpiness.

Yes Deanne-that pepper spray didn't harm the coleus leaves a bit even though they are in the sun-I just made sure to spray them in late day to be sure. Hmmm now I am wondering if you sent me three different fuchsias. I have Beacon Rosa labeled and the one that is labeled Beacon has light pink outer petals with the same light pink inner petals...maybe I mixed them up. I really hope I can keep them all alive through winter. I do think a grow light or two is definitely a must.

Ei I'm so glad your mom and DS are doing well(we have so much to celebrate with all these good things happening). It's nice to see you checking in here when you get time.I miss your tunes!
    I'm bummed that my summer is drawing to a quicker close than I like. With the new job I need to do more prep than I'm used to...I need 'sensible' shoes and probably some nicer clothes than I normally slack around in...and the dreaded school supply jaunt is upon me(makes me think of my own school days and that pit of your stomach kind of ache...lol)

I have all kinds of stuff coming up...nephew's bday on fri.,a shool workshop on Sat.,Family reunion on Sunday then the next weekend is booked with my CPR training that takes the whole day on that Sat. So that's why my summer is winding down too quickly...my garden will miss me: )

Marty-I liked hearing that your corn is as high as an elephant eye: ) you sound like a true farmer...OK so it's just around your light post lol. I can't wait to see a pic of your creativity.

OK I better get a move on...
    Hi to all I missed...Maid Marian you are too quiet!

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I got up at 6:00 to do a little gardening before work. It was dark! I had breakfast first and then deadheaded for a half-hour. Tonight the pots will move to the potting area so they can be watered by the timer/sprinkler while we are gone. Ricks son will take care of Jaden and the cats.

Babs, I guess I "forgot" to post the picture of me with the grass skirt and the coconuts. LOL

Martie, wed love to see your corn.

Taryn, you got some great shots at IU3. I sure dont envy you the moving process.

Ei, its great that your sis has some sense of normalcy in her life and that your mom is doing well too.

Cindy, I taped the Gardeners Diary yesterday since its on at 6:00 a.m. here. I watched some of it last night but fell asleep. Im still bummed that I missed seeing it in person.

Waving back at you Mary and glad to hear that you are enjoying your family visit.

Honey, those toads are just perfect for that rock.

Deanne, LOL about "decluttering" Doug. I keep trying that too but Im afraid that its a losing battle.

T, enjoy your day. Arent grandbabies just so much fun?

Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thought for the day...espacially for gardeners...

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Cute, Marian.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Deanne: Sorry to ask via the forum but all my old emails needed to be dumped. Thus, send me your eaddress so we can make plans? Thanks! Martie Hi Everybody!! See you tomorrow (especially Babs, the "hit" of the gardening world). LOL

Mart

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Oh great! I turn my head for a day and those baby boys made their appearance. Congratulations T. Best wishes to Josh and Jakes Mom and Dad. Have fun cuddling them.

Still in lurk mode here, but enjoying you all. And love all the pictures.

Cute link Marain.

Too many 100 degree days and no rain have made for unpleasant gardening here for the most part. I do what I can and the rest will have to wait. I have a summer cold from coming into the ac after being dripping wet from the heat. Not much else going on around here lately.

Take care everyone. Norma

• just_t
    17 years ago

I spent the day holding babies......a tough job but someone has to do it. ;o)

What a miracle new life is.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

It is actually chilly outside. Yippee!!!!

Quick stop to say happy 36 hours birthday to the babies.

Don't overdo, Taryn (planked salmon??? can I help you move????.

Marian's link made me giggle.

Link below is for Honey in particular - a new client who does free trade with a small company in Mexico. Very cool people and the stuff in person is outstanding.

Pics of the corn will be coming, soon.

Have a great day, everyone!

Martie

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

T- The babies are so precious! What a blessing for you all. Your DD and SIL look so happy. Congratulations!!!

Drema

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Not much to report here so I hope you all don't mind another interesting link...:-)
    Maybe the deer know something that we didn't.
    Here is what you can do with your Hostas that are not too great to look at:

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Congrats to T and her daughter & SIL!!! Beautiful LARGE babies. Oh my gosh, she had 14 lbs of babies in her. Wow. Glad everything went well Grammy.

Monique

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Afternoon all,

Well another gorgeous day on tap here and it is supposed to be like this through the weekend. There is a chance of a T-storm later on but we could use the rain right about now. Im so bummed out it looks like my astelboides has bitten the dust. Too hot and dry, dry, dry I forgot to ask MJs DS to keep that watered while I was in CA and it has just given up. Doug is driving home from NY this afternoon so there probably will be T-storms. LOL Hes driven home in torrential rains both other times he was out in NY. I told him he was going to have to warn the state of NY to prepare for flooding every time he drives out there.

Norma, great to hear from you. Sorry you are sick and that the weather has been so awful. We only have had a few weeks of hot stuff here and only one that was really awful with one day getting to 101 but other than that its been OK. Id be beyond cranky if the weather stayed that hot for any length of time.

Honey, sorry for your discovery in your front area. We find boulders in the front where the builders buried them. That is one of the reasons I need a backhoe to dig the new garden in the front yard. There are just way too many HUGE rocks for me to deal with.

Marian, I had a chuckle at the housework link and the hosta one is pretty interesting. I didnt know that they grew wild over there.

Eden, Ive been looking and looking for that iresine with the white leaves you bought earlier in the summer and cant find it. If and when it gets large enough would you be willing to share a couple cuttings??? Id really love to have that plant.

Michelle, Our morning sky is just lightening at 5:00AM now instead of the 4:30AM we have in the middle of June. Wah! We are beginning that long slide down into the dark of the winter. Yuk It isnt so much the cold and snow I dont like it is the lack of daylight.

Babs, My mistake, the one that is the light pink outer and inner petals is a variety I dont know the name of but is in that Beacon family of fuchsia. The Beacon Rosa is very light pink throughout and the Beacon has the magenta/pink petals with the purple corolla. That other one I bought at the same time a few years ago and have lost the tag. ~~ Re wintering over the fuchsia, you dont need to keep them under the lights over the winter just prune them back by 2/3rds, strip all the leaves off and put them in a dark cool, preferably 45 degrees or so, basement and they will go dormant for the winter. You will need those lights for the coleus though! LOL

Taryn, hope the move is going smoothly for you.

Cindy, I dont now how I do it sometimes either! I have WAY TOO MANY containers to take care of and as a result Ive lost a few really nice things just because I couldnt keep track of all of them. One of my fuchsias had gotten over watered and another died when it got to 100 degrees a couple weeks ago. I also had a dahlia that was just fading away to nothing and when I dug it out it turns out that there were wireworms in the tubers. Go figure that one out? In a container no less. It seems there is always some nasty insect that will wreck anything I try to grow. I get pretty discouraged when the bugs and disease get a hold of something Ive spent a lot of time taking care of. Im thinking along the lines of Sue with digging some of this high maintenance stuff out and planting shrubs. Well see.

Eileen, I just have to tell you that I think of you every single day when I water my plants. Just look at your Illustris!
    {{gwi:175012}}

I must also add here that the yellow/chartreuse coleus on the lower right of this photograph is the cutting I got from Babs! So I think of Babs every day when I water this container too. Then of course I think of Mary because the large Charles Grimaldi Brug was the cutting I got from her two summers ago.
    {{gwi:175013}}

What fun!

OK must run, Ill bet T. is playing with those babies again! LOL

Deanne

• just_t
    17 years ago

Hi there, just home from the hospital. Once again *had* to spend my day holding babies. ;o) It is surprisingly tiring being a go-fer and soothing 2 babies when they fuss. Tiring but loving every minute of it! I'm going to sit for a bit, with my feet up and then go to DD's house to see if there is any housework that I can do in preparation for them to bring the babies home. I doubt there is much to do......but just wanted to give the floors a quick mop if they need it and run the vacuum/dust cloth around....do dishes.....whatever she may not have gotten a chance to do.

Hope everyone is doing well......It is good to see Norma pop in!

Hello to everyone....

T.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Teresa, how nice that you are so close to the hospital, and can go to your own home at night. It hasn't been that long ago that I can't remember greeting and holding my grandbabies. :-) I was there for the birth of all three of them...one at a time...:-) The last will be 10 in March.

Hi Norma! I see you just dubbed me with a new name! "Marain" lol
    I have been thinking, if I changed the 'n' to an 'h' it would be Mariah. I like that name.
    Your experience with the heat and the AC is another reason I don't want one. Sorry about your summer cold. Take care of yourself.

Deanne, isn't it fun remembering the giver of the plants you are growing! I have many reminders. Some date back many years. I love your dark EE and the Yellow/chartreuse coleus; and the brug. What are the variegated green and white plants flanking the EE?

Didn't you all just love the pics of me on that first link?? LOL

Another T&L is moving our way, so I need to shut down. We had a brief shower a while ago, and I am hoping for more.
    It has cooled us down nicely again.

Marian-Mariah-Marina-Marain--- who-ever :-)

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marian has so many personalities doesn't she? lol I'm glad you are doing OK and thanks for the links. That first one really tells it like it is! The second link is really informative...it makes me want to go rip out my hostas and eat them; ) What do you think:Ranch or basalmic? lol

Norma-Oh you have a cold! Take good care of yourself. That air conditioning really throws me off-when I shop for groceries it's so cold I want to buy soup then I get outside and home(no A/C) soup is such a crazy idea lolol.

Martie-I am curious to know what your corn yield is going to be this year: ) Do you have many husks forming?

Deanne-no biggie on names(though I did think I was crazy for misplacing the tag lol). I'm so glad the wizard pineapple survived for you-does it get mammoth sized for you? Maybe I fertilized mine too much but they got like shrubs and the leaves were huge! I really wish we'd get some rain here-things are not growing as fast as I want but real rainwater always seems to boost everything immediately.
    Wow gorgeous Illustris there! Believe me I certainly think of you when I just walk out the door all the fuchsias/coleus are all together. I'm only having trouble with the Iresine-it doesn't want to get very big at all-of course that's supposed to be an easy plant huh lol.

Hey Drema-Bi Polar is alive and growing: ) Hey aren't you glad we weren't flying somewhere today?...I'm glad we went to Chicago before today-what a mess!

T-you're a good mom for doing chores at your DD's! So do the little guys have personalities yet?

Well I need to go hang with the hubby-everybody else I missed, I say HI! Taryn-whatcha doing?

OH BTW I added some more pics at 'IU3 Day 2'

~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We leave tomorrow for Door County Wisconsin. For those who don't know of it, I included a link below. The pots have been moved to the potting area and the timer went off this morning for a trial run.

Deanne, the sun never comes up here at 4:30 a.m. It really makes a difference what end of a time zone you are in. I noticed that at IU3, they are just into the central zone and I am 2/3 the way thru it. It got dark about an hour earlier than at home. I do like it in the evening though.
    Your containers are looking fabulous.

Babs, all my iresines are huge but the pineapple wizard isn't anything like the size yours are. Isn't that weird? I did see your pictures. If I had really realized how many people were snapping pictures, I would have tried harder not to have so many dumb looks on my face. LOL

Talk about plants from others, my tropical garden is almost all thanks to Ei. I have a huge colocacia and several different cannas. I planted these all around 2, year old ninebarks 'Diablo'. They really look nice with the tropicals.

See you all when I get back.
    Michelle

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning everyone,

Another beautiful day here today. Right now it is a fantastic 59 sunny degrees, the birds are singing and after I get back from the gym Im planning on spending the entire day outside. Doug arrived safely home from his trip to Rochester and will be working from home today.

Babs, Thanks! So happy you like that Illustris. Lately it has been really putting on some size. I dont remember if I ever answered your question about the Beacon Rosa fuchsia and the amount of flowers it has. That has to do with the age of the plant. The more years you can keep them over the better they bloom in the subsequent years. ~~ That Wizard Pineapple actually hasnt gotten very large for me but I do have it planted with that Illustris so maybe that is the problem although the Wild Lime in the same pot has gotten so large I had to do a major pruning a couple days ago. Im going to look for the name of that other fuchsia as Id like to know what it was, I might never have had a tag with it because I bought it at HD. Oh yes, I found that my Iresine took a bit to get going and really put on some size in its second season. I pruned the top and roots, stripped all the leaves off then brought it in the house and put it under the lights. It did really well for me and looks great in that pot with the Blacky fuchsia.

Marian, Thanks, glad you like the containers. Yes indeed, it is fun to remember all the lovely people who shared plants with me. The variegated plant that is to the left of the Illustris is Coleus Wild Lime Ive really loved this plant this year. It is beautifully ruffled and puts on quite a show. Im wondering just how Im going to manage to save all these coleus this year (not to mention the fuchsia!LOL). Ive so many now it isnt even funny.

Michelle, Bon Voyage!!! Have a terrific trip!

Martie, looking forward to meeting you in person! No worries about the seafood thing, Surfs isnt open for lunch anyway. Im sure well find something. ~~ Looking forward to seeing pics of that Indian Corn.

T. One of the advantages of twins is that there is probably always a baby available to cuddle. Nest ce pas?

OK Ive got to get to the gym and get my day started. We are having company this evening and Ive got to run a vacuum around this house and polish up the bathroom so I can get outside and do some deadheading.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Rise and Shine!

Another absolutely perfect day on the cool side! I too have company coming today but hope to have some garden time as well. Its just that the inside is a disaster area...Oh well!

Some shots for you all from yesterday:

Does anyone know how to overwinter this Salvia Black & Blue successfully?
    {{gwi:175014}}

Or save this Gloriosa Daisy for next year?
    {{gwi:175015}}

{{gwi:175016}}

{{gwi:175017}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

Been busy all week and we all know that translates into being a bad idyller.

Marie, Salvia Black and Blue reseeded for me this year. I have it coming up in a couple of places. Nothing like a mild winter to lull you into a false sense of zone though...lol.

BTW, I decided to have a party on August 26th and you're all invited. It starts at 6. What better way to force yourself to focus on keeping the garden up during the dog days. Although it's starting to trend cooler now.

Hi to everyone!

Sue

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Happy Friday, all!

I was foiled yesterday by rain on my day off so no gardening, which was disappointing, but hopefully this weekend temps will be cooler and sunny I was actually happy to be at home w/ no commuting the news & furor at airports made me very very happy not to be flying or going anywhere yesterday! & made me very happy we had IU3 before all this mess hit the airports!

Norma arent summer colds the worst? I think because theyre so unexpected and when weather is good we think were going to be automatically healthy. Heres hoping youre over it very quickly.

Heres hoping the move for Taryn is going well & her back & everyone elses is holding up also.

bug so nice to see the Black & Blue - I just cannot get a good photo of it it washes out but its so stunning. Re overwintering, Im probably almost 2 zones warmer than you so my "secret" may not work the 2nd plant I had has managed to overwinter an amazing 3 winters now but its in a very protected place, inside a fence, with good drainage & full sun most of the day I think the secret is the "microclimate" you can create somewhere for it....? Ive just planted another plant in another area of the gardens to see if I can manage to overwinter in a less protected area we shall see.

Sue well, thats one way to keep the pressure on party, party, party!!

Cindy

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

I didn't go clean at DD's house last night, I was just too tired. I had good intentions but lousy follow through. :O\ I'll go this afternoon, as soon as I leave the hospital.

No personalities peeking out yet. Just tiny babies who love to snuggle and be held. They're just beginning to nurse so there hasn't been many wet or dirty diapers to change. The nurse said yesterday that for the first 6 days of life you can expect a wet diaper for each day of their lives (thankfully it stops at 6 she said ;o) ). So, 2 days old = 2 wet diapers, 6 days old = 6 wet diapers. Interesting.....I either didn't know that or forgot. Back in the olden days....the nurses changed the diapers while I was in the hospital, we only got the babies a few times a day for feeding. Now, the babies are in the room with the parents all day long unless there is a problem or the parents request the nurses take the baby(ies) so the parent(s) can rest. A good change of policy, me thinks.

Well, I'd better get myself moving if I'm going to leave the house in an hour.

Hello to everyone!

T.

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

I hear ya, Sue. That's why I haven't been here much all week either. I've been working on getting my gardens in shape for the garden club meeting at my house on the 28th. The more I do out there the more I find that needs to be done. The upside is that all of the work I'm doing now should pay off when autumn gets here with less work to do then. Good thing since all of the containers have to be dismantled at that point and all of the tropicals hauled into the basement. Have a great weekend everyone. I'll try to check in but have Bella spending the night tonight and here all day tomorrow.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Good morning!
    Another 1/2 inch of that wonderful wet stuff! No watering for me again today.

Actually, Deanne, it is the plants in the neighboring pots that I was asking about. They look like my variegated plectranthus, but I'm not sure it is that. I think you have told me before but I have forgotten.

Marie, good pic of the dragon/damsel fly ( which is it?). The only advice I can give you on those two plants is to pot them up and keep them in a more moderate spot over winter. The Black and Blue salvia is very pretty.

Michelle, the Door County area sounds like a good place to visit. Beautiful, and full of interesting activities.
    I'm glad I checked your link...I had forgotten about the Perseid Meteor shower the 12th. I like to watch for it.
    The sun never comes up at 4:30 here either. The further south one lives makes a differance also. It comes up much earlier, and stays up lots later, in Idaho. It took me a while to get used to the shorter summer days when we moved here. Now I am proud that they are shorter as it helps the nights to cool off. I am thinking the deep south would really scorch if the summer nights were shorter!
    I failed to tell you how fun your luau looks. I espacially like the pics of Kensie. She is such a sweetie.

LOL Babs! I opt for Thousand Islands...:-)

I hope all is going well with Taryn's move.

Ei, I hope today will be a good day for you and yours.

Martie, I saw a little toad along side our drive when taking a walk the other eve.I am a fan of amphibians..lol. I'm awaiting those pics of the corn. :-)

Honey, I hope you got the 'puter key unstuck! What a drag!
    BTW, You look great in the IU3 pics. Cute toads...:-) Yes, a few of the plants in the containers were lost, but nothing that I don't have duplicates of. The damage has stopped on the deck, but mostly because I am bringing in susceptible pots. They are working on plants in other areas now. They dug a kalanchoe completely out of it's pot, but they are very tolerant of such treatment, so no big deal. They also did a little digging in a heuchera pot, but no damage.
    Deanne, The heucheras that I have in pots are MUCH better looking than the ones in the ground. Have you carried them over in pots?

BTW, I forget who thought I have corn in my neighborhood...but nah...no corn here, except in folk's gardens. One home along the highway to Harrison has a large garden with several rows of corn flanked by zinnias. It has looked the same every year. I wonder if they reseed the zinnias, or of they are now volunteers. I am thinking they 'may' help deter the varmints. It makes a pretty picture.

Oh. I almost forgot! I mowed a large portion of our 'lawn' Wednesday. The recent rains finally started it growing. I hadn't had to mow since early in June! It looks pretty neat now. Many of the deer eaten plants are leafing out again. If not attacked again, I should have sedum blooms after all. I doubt if the hardy Hibiscus will bloom. The late blooming hostas are blooming, dispite the loss of leaves on many..:-( The greenish-yellow ones by the bald cypress have leafed out again, but still have no emerging bloomstalks. Anyway, it looks as fall may be as pretty as it usually is.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

My thought for the day, borrowed from Sue, "Been busy all week and we all know that translates into being a bad idyller." I'm sooo behind.

Just a few quick thoughts - T, the first day after my C-section, the nurse brought in my son, handed him to me and left the room. He nursed and then had a bowel movement that I would describe as explosive. Well, here I am laying in the bed with a 9 pound baby on my arm, poop everywhere and no way to sit up! I tried for several minutes, but I needed two hands to sit up and there was no room to lay the baby down. I finally used the call button and the nurse seemed a bit put out that I was asking for hlep with a dirty diaper. She was much nicer when she got in the room and saw the situation!

Marian (Mariah?) I looked at your housecleaning tips and really enjoyed that!

Okay, gotta run and get serious here. Later!

V.

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will be a bad idyller soon or I'll just post little bits. I've been making an unusual pie called herb rice pie for tonight's bday party at my sister's and I made a second one for Sunday's family reunion-killed two birds with two pies(LOL). I've got laundry to do and stuff like that but the weather is PHENOMINAL!! It's so sunny but cool and it's perfect for gardening....too bad I don't have time: ( I hope all the idyllers have this exact same weather.
    I bet Michelle is having fun on her trip. Hey Michelle I have never seen a goofy look on your cute little face...then there's the ones of me looking so looney that Taryn took...nothing tops any of those lol.

Ha T-when I had AJ I had wished the policies were more like the 'archaic' times. I had a three day inducement/delivery(he just didn't want to come out!)which you can imagine how that would be but then have to also tend to my baby was almost unbearable. The nurse was so crotchety about me asking her to keep him in the nursery she made me cry.Then the next day my wonderful Dr. reprimanded her and told her I needed to sleep and the nurses had to tend to Aj unless he needed to nurse. If I knew now what I didn't know then I would have been much more assertive. Ryan on the other hand was naturally a breeze.

V I have much empathy for your story-that must have been an anxious few moments-luckily your could reach the call button!

'Bug! I love the colorful pics up there!! I need to get that salvia-I got to see it up close in Chicago-such great coloring. Thanks for the dragonfly pic-I haven't gotten many bug pics this summer.

Well better get going...gift to wrap,clothes to fold,blah blah.

~Babs

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Dear Idylls

A brief postcard from Upstate New York. The weather has been phenomenal here too as we continue to enjoy our family visit. Last night was Annie's performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. The kids did a fantastic job - singing and dancing with such gusto. It looked so professional it was hard to remember they are only Middle school students. The muscial is far and away my favorite Andrew LLoyd Weber offering and seeing this generation have so much fun with it was a treat.

We drive to Wasington DC tomorrow to spend a few days with Ruth and the the children. I can't wait to see them again. Cindy - we'll be in your neck of the woods - I'll be waving to you.

Meanwhile, another wave to all the other Idylls, hoping Taryn survives the move, the twins are eating and pooping (but not too explosively) and everyone is enjoying the last few weeks of summer.

missing you all,

Mary

• saucydog
    17 years ago

I really tried to read and soak #277 in, but it is daunting when you've missed out on so much!

I have been without a computer for about a year now, but my brother-in-law needed a new one, and sent me a mint condition used model! I'm so happy!

I think it will take a little while to get used to coming here everyday - I replaced you guys with walking, but I think of you often while I'm going around the track :)

So there was another union! How exciting! I would love to know where the pictures are - I'm so lost.

Things are good here. We've conquered a few more home improvement projects, gotten through another school year, had a great summer, and preparing to go back.

Went to Tower Hill Botanic Garden today and made me miss you all. I hope I can get back into the groove. You can't imagine the times that I've thought of you all.

Picked up a 4 dollar Brugmansia "grand marnier" today....anyone know how to overwinter? I'm guessing stick it in the basement and don't let it dry out. It's teenie, but someday it'll be a beauty.

Babies and bums and plants and moving....can't wait to read up on everything you've all been doing!

I've missed you!

Saucy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

WOW! Hi Saucy! It is sooo good to 'see' you again! You are one of the few here who can identify with where I live. I am so sorry you were without a computer for so long. I just bought a brand new one in June, and it is soo much faster than my old dinosaur. :-)
    Don't worry, you will soon catch up.
    Welcome 'home'!

Marian

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness, SAUCY'S BACK! If you had a dollar for every time someone has asked about you or lamented your absence, you'd have 2-3 computers by now! ;-) I want to know what the kids are up to, if you are still working on the neighbour's garden, how the house and gardens are doing, and of course how DH is doing too! As for me, I am preparing for DD's wedding in early September.

I heard from Chelone today, and unfortunately things are not going well for her and her Mom at this time. She will manage, but we all know what a tough road it will be.

I hope Taryn is surviving this week's move with not too many glitches. Perhaps her computer will be hooked up soon?

We have had the first visit to inspect the property here for high speed internet. We should get a response next week sometime with an estimate if it turns out to be possible.

The first Fall catalogue with bulbs arrived today. Sigh. My list comes to $475. LOL! I guess I'll have to pare it down, you think?

Later friends!
    'Bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

SAUCY!!! What a wonderful surprise! Geez, if we knew all you needed was a computer we would have taken a collection and got you one. Great to hear you're doing well. I'm now looking forward to hearing from you on a regular basis again.

What a gorgeous day here today. Cooler and drier nights and mornings mean summer is ebbing way. I need to get tough and do some garden spiffying up for my party in two weeks but there are a couple of gardens on open days today that I would like to visit. No reason why I can't do both, right? lol Tomorrow we have to go to a 21st BD and going back to college party for Tom's niece so half the day will be shot. It's out in western CT so maybe I'll drop in at White Flower Farm. I haven't been there yet this year.

Sorry to hear about Chelone, Marie. She's had a tough few years.

Allrighty then. It's much too nice to hang around on the tube today. I've got places to go and things to do.

Later,

Sue

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

One more thing...have any of you seen this little movie at the link below?

Sue

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good morning!!!

Between the explosive poop stories (Ky's was during his baptism and the poor minister must've muttered something like 'demons be gone' just after he saw me covered with 'mustard' and Ky's dad trying really hard not to burst out laughing), "meeting" Saucy for the first time, and all the great links, I've had a busy hour!

Ky is back from his trip and so is a digital. He'll be taking pics this afternoon and will try to post. (Sue, please stay close by :-)

The Black and Blue Salvia may be tough to overwinter and I Strongly suggest that you take cuttings to be on the safe side. The "designer" salvias were mostly hybridized for flower color, fruit fragrance, and not heartiness. If you like that blue, 'Bug, you gotta getta Baptisia if you don't have one already. It's a dye herb and the blue is outstanding. Also throws very neat seed pods -- good for Fall arrangements -- and reseeds prolifically. Foliage holds all summer. I'll send you (and anyone else) seeds if you'd like.

Sharing -- I look in my gardens and see Sue and about 5 other garden buddies who came to my rescue when I called out for "anything with roots." With luck, I'll have stuff to share back, soon! A friend who held a bunch of Hosta for me from my last garden and I will be dividing next weekend. My babies are coming home!!! Now all I need to do is create enough shady spots before next Spring to have them live. LOL

It's been dry here. Very strange after the record rainfall in Spring and early Summer. Veggies do love sun, don't they? My three containered Salad Bush cukes are feeding the entire neighborhood ... Rich actually is talking about starting a veggie garden of his own next year. It's catching!

Can't wait to meet Deanne. Rich wants to go, too, and it'll be a great idea. He Needs to understand that gardens do grow in and that other DH's are subjected to constant garden thinking. Anywhere you guys want to go for lunch is fine with us ..

Going out to get my nails really dirty and weed without needing H2O every five minutes :-)

Everyone have a great day! (Corn pics today, I promise.)

Martie

• babs_clare
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm really not supposed to be here but there's talk on the street that Saucy is back...so I had to come and say welcome home,Saucy! You've been missed and it will be nice to hear what you've been up to.

At my niece's baptism she was baptized into the Russian Orthodox faith where they take every bit of clothing off the baby and immerse them...naturally she peed all over my beautiful skirt and linen blouse while I held her...I guess that was ten times better than the explosive alternative though lol.

What a long road Chelone has had with her mom.Sorry to hear that things are worse.

Had a blast at nephew's 8th bday party-great food,lots of laughter and I can't believe we didn't leave til midnight...I'm so tired today. I have that workshop to go to now so I'll talk to you later.

It was so odd-the weather lastnight was FREEZING! Figures that today is an excellent garden weatehr day and I can't be in it: (

~Babs

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Here it is, folks!! Please note that the light post is 4'10" tall overall. The Helianthus to the right was an experiment that will be moved next year. What does everyone think of using lemon thyme as a ground cover in this garden? They're hard to see in this pic, but there are Stella d'Oro in there and Deanne has promised more :-) I think the combo might be really different, and you'd smell lemon driving up the driveway. Also -- the Pennisetum 'Rubra' has been voted the "one to use." There is a mirror image of this planting right across the driveway (less the way-too-tall Helianthus).

{{gwi:175018}}

If anyone ever asks you if "Rozanne" can look good all year .... It is a full 4' wide. The Impomea behind it is a sport from a friend that I'm trialing. Don't think it'll go far since it looks too much like "Blackie."
    {{gwi:151433}}

Martie

• saucydog
    17 years ago

Thanks for the nice welcome back....I felt a little funny just poking my head in and wished I had started a new thread. I was impressed to see you've made it to #277!

So Taryn is moving! Is it for a bigger house? or a new locale? I can't wait to hear from her.

Sorry to hear Chelone is having a tough time. I have felt guilt several times over not calling when I have been nearby.

Deanne, your containers are beautiful. How old is your brug? Do you put it in the basement?

Babs, how's life treatin' you? Wish I'd got to see you all this summer...wasn't the union close to you this year?

I know I'm missing out on so much. I have anxiety about fitting back in.

My grandmother did pass away last summer. I had a rough time of winter and after a fuss with my sister decided to go on a diet (the "good food" diet, we called it!) and do some speed walking. It felt good to be in control and the end results have been pleasing. I'm ready for weights, I think. We'll see. Anyway, sis and I are speaking again, and it turns out I made her so mad that she went on a "diet" too! LOL....trying to outdo each other, I suppose.

Jake just got back from camp - same one that he went to for the first time as I typed to you all how nervous I was for him to be away for a week. He's an old pro now. He just says, "bye."

Sarah learned to really swim this summer....no more pretending....she's jumping in, doing cannonballs, swimming underwater to see the fish! I honestly never thought it'd come for her, but she finally sucumbed(sp?) to peer pressure.

Nick is Nick. We bought a boat (more on this later - I love it!!!) He's working hard and likes to wash his boat. He waterskiied and I was happy for him. It's tough to learn in NE with such a short season.

Zeus just finished a fresh beef bone and is enjoying his summer, too. He still enjoys a romp in the freshly mown grass and he doesn't want to come in on the cool evenings because it's a good night to wander around the neighborhood.

The cat, birds, and fish are all fine, too.

Too much information I suppose.

See you tomorrow :)

Saucy

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Saucy,How great to hear from you. Not two days ago I was thinking about you. I'm so glad you have a computer again. Don't feel anxious at all. Like Sue says,"Once an idyller always an idyller". I have pretty much been in lurk mode this summer, but always feel welcome here when I do pop in.

Martie, its nice to have you posting regular again too. I love lemon thyme. I was weed eating today and nipped it a little, it smelled so good. I must remember to put some in my newer bed that I spend more time in. My Black and Blue wintered over last year and also self sewed. But I wouldn't mind taking a cutting to be sure for next year. Is it hard to root? Will it root in water or does it need rooting powder and soil?

Babs, I know you will be really busy with the new job and family stuff, but I hope you have time to post sometimes. We will really miss you if you stay away to long.

Chelone, if you are reading here, know that my thoughts are with you.

My cold is much better now. I could live without the ac but DH has to work out in this heat all the time and he needs to be able to relax and sleep in the cool to get through his day,so we use it.

I have been been doing my three W's (watering, weeding and wishing the heat wave would break). It didn't seem quite so bad today. I have been getting quite a bit of clean up done. I just couldn't stand it anymore. I decided if I couldn't get the things I have in shape what was the point of adding more. So the ghetto has to wait awhile.

I hope everyone finds something to smile about this weekend. There is always something here to make me smile. A pretty bird, a silly dog, an unexpected flower, a goofy husband. Anyway , goodnight for now. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Martie, is that corn behind your lampost? You did say corn pics were coming...lol. Looks like you figured out the image posting. Once you get started, it's hard to stop. A few comments on your lampost gardens...Are you looking for just seasonal interest? If not, I would try to work some woody structure in there somehow unless snow removal is a problem. If it's full, baking sun, small space conifers are probably a good way to go. I love my blue globe spruces and they look great paired with Helictotrichon and something blue flowering. Perhaps you could add a Knockout or carpet rose for extended flowers and structure? For later blooming stuff, a golden leaved Caryopteris like 'Sunshine Blue'would love the full sun. Mine are seeding around so I should have a plant or two somewhere. I also have some very late blooming Asters called 'Fanny'. We're talking November most years.

I am not a daylily fan so I would not mass daylilies anywhere. The few I have are tucked in borders so I can cut them back after they bloom and they disappear. Stella D'oro is great for extended bloom and rebloom but I find the foliage is ratty after the first flush of flowers and requires alot of deadleafing and deadheading to keep it looking acceptable. In a front and center spot like a driveway entry you may want something more "stand up".

As usual, there are multitudes of options for every garden area. I may sound like a broken record but only because I planted alot of garden space before realizing myself that it's the woody plants that carry a garden. Actually I learned that from visiting Monique's gorgeous gardens.

OK, another great day on tap here. The niece's BD turned out to be yesterday (my BIL and SIL are great but they are true airheads) so I have all day today to do what I want. One of the tasks topping the list is cleaning out the pot ghetto. How successful do you think I'll be at that? lol Actually, with my party looming in two weeks I really have some incentive to spruce everything up. Sort of like one last hurrah...lol.

Later folks,

Sue

• martieinct
    17 years ago

LOL, Sue. When we first dug out those gardens I thought, small/rounded/evergreen with bluish tint. Then realized that since folks use the lamps to maneuver out of the drive, they'd get run over and have snow dumped on them in winter.

So, I'm trying to keep as much as I can herbaceous at least on the drive side. I like Stella d'Oro so much that I don't mind the deadheading, etc. The texture they provide is also a welcome change from "mounded" around lamp posts. Also am considering a mass of medium to short-height grasses, which is why the 'Rubrum' and the other deep maroon grass is in there this year. Height and color experiments all at once. Gone are the days of pastel pinks.

Woody plants are everywhere else and are what I consider the "plant bones" of the gardens. Most of the shrubs are still babies which is why I'm trying really hard to restrain myself from filling gaps in too soon.

Yes, that is corn. All 8' of it and it is producing cobs. They'll be enough for everyone on the cul-de-sac to get some for their Thanksgiving doors. Okay midwesterners in this group, you can stop laughing now at my way-too-obvious excitement about growing your mainstay crop .... :-)

Martie

• taryn
    17 years ago

Hi guys,
    Quickie before we diconnect here. All's good, move was smooth, movers awesome. 5 full loads in a 16' cube van (one single level with just plants hehehe), plus a full load with the mover's 28' truck with cap, plus 5 van and car loads full. We have too much stuff! But it's all there now, as far as I know nothing got damaged, and it's all clean here. I only got lost twice (sooo tired) and not when I was leading the movers, a good thing. And I'm figuring out how to use my new cell phone, slowly. Would have been a nightmare coordinating things without them, that's for sure.

Gigi and her boys came Friday to help unpack and kitchen and bathrooms are done. Glenn's back has been fine, mine was sore Thursday but is not too bad now. The weather was much cooler with a nice breeze and perfect for moving, couldn't have been better. Boys have been having fun catching frogs and toads, playing laser tag in one of the barns, drums in another, and swimming. We had two friends for a sleepover last night so they can see it's not the end of their friendships, we're only 45 minutes away.

Our buyers just had their last walk around and everything's good. We weren't comfortable giving them the house keys early from a liability perspective, but did leave them the keys to the garage so they can start moving stuff early. We meet the lawyer for the sale tomorrow afternoon then close and get our funds Tuesday. Lots and lots of unpacking to do!

Okay Glenn wants to start disconnecting this 'puter now so guess I'll catch ya when I can. Hope everyone is well...

TT
    (tired Taryn) :)

• saucydog
    17 years ago

Wow! Barns at Taryn's new place....I've got to read previous idylls and figure this out. Sounds exciting!

Marie in CT - I've always wanted to grow corn! It seemed like I needed too much space to do it - great idea! If you're going to keep the daylilies around the post (where I have mine) lots of mulch and compost helps keep them green through the heat of the summer. Of course this year is the exception, with 100+ temps. Nothing stays pretty for long.

Other things that I used to have by the street that did fine (as long as I amended the soil) were ornamental grasses, asters, liatris, coreopsis, and shasta daisies - that's all that comes to mind now. OH...and I had a clematis for the light pole itself. The fall blooming variety. They changed the name several years ago....gb will fill us in :)

Good Night All. I'm trying to make it a ritual of checking in, hope I'm not a bore.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Love your new ritual Saucy! I'm having a hard time keeping up, but still trying. Fun to hear about the kids a year after. Camp is old stuff now and swimming a joy. Remember all the anxiety? How they grow!

The clematis I think you are referring to is C.Terniflora, also known as Sweet Autumn Clematis and formerly C.maximowicziana.

Great to hear from you Taryn. Sounds like things went even smoother than you imagined. The weather was fantastic for a move too.

This weekend my friend Lynn came to do a mock-up of DD's bouquet and hair flowers. If the florist out there can provide us with the right flowers, the end product will be gorgeous! I'm really pleased! We had a good time doing this and reading through old bride magazines. I used to love looking at the dresses when I was 17 but now they all look silly to me and cost as much as a house. I'm so glad DD isn't putting on a big production! I'm already overwhelmed by this party they are organizing. I know we'll have a good time but I'll still be chewing my nails (so to speak).

Well in addition to planning flowers for the wedding and working on the garden as much as possible, along came one of those Idyll type problems: our downstairs bedroom/TV room burst into a mass of mildew. All this is because we left the windows open and the 100F temperatures created masses of condensation which poured down the walls. So all the clothing in the closets, old shoes, filing cabinets, the wall to wall carpet, a stamp collection, the children's art work and books from kindergarten on up, etc is garbage. We spent the morning buying another dehumidifier and another fan, masks to wear while we work there, bleach, etc for the clean-up. Then in the afternoon we bagged up lots of stuff. I guess we'll need to air out the couch and see if I can stand it anymore. The 2 beds...well we'll see. UGH. Of course I didn't need this at all, no less today. I was supposed to have a friend work on fitting clothes for my trip to DD's, but had to delay that. Sheesh. I remember Honey's similar woes in this regard only ours wasn't from flooding.

It is so Fall-like and I have been cutting things back that look spent (ugly!) Some are shooting up new growth and that is fun. Tent caterpillars are an awful problem this year.I hope the anemones begin to bloom soon because there's not a great deal of colour around. When out driving around I see wonderful stands of sunflowers. They are so cheerful that I must remember to start some next year!

I just love the cool nights we've been having, rhe sunsets too. Possible thunderstorms tomorrow and then more sun. :) In the morning the darned geese honk at about 5am to wake me.

Hope your weekend was grand!
    'bug

• saucydog
    17 years ago

Going to bed because the "darned geese" will wake me at 5am, too.

Had a fuss with DH....too much fun today is the culprit....and that's why I'm on the computer instead of in the bed.

'night again.

Saucy

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Hi, Mary hope you guys had a fund time in Maryland I think you were probably about 40 miles from me it was delightful weather (altho a tad hot) wasnt it? I actually got some gardening done, grass cut, and 2 plants from the plant orphanage planted (yahoo)....

Saucy what a delight to see your name! At IU3 all I heard was how much everyone wondered where you had gotten to no computer is definitely a killer in the cyber gardening world, though good idea to replace w/ walking though. I hope to meet you one day!

Gardenbug ha I think I had you beat in the bulb order department... .unfortunately I impetuously placed(!) my huge orders in July and last week really reviewed it & cancelled one entire order costly since they charge when you cancel, but still cheaper $$ & space wise I do not know what I was thinking when I originally placed it obviously I thought I owned an acre garden or something..... Im really, really, trying to hold back and wait a while now I need to rethink some areas, etc...... Sad to spend tight money just to cancel though isnt it? Have you gotten the flowers all figured out for the wedding?? Share w/ us when you have a chance, please.

O, Chelone I do empathisize w/ your trials re your Mom my own MIL has terrible problems & has been living in the next house over from my SIL who is having a terrible time w/ the situation in a different way her depression has returned because of the situation probably not the same as you are experiencing but it does seem there is no solution sometimes for either party.... I sure wish we had better, kinder, safe resources for dealing with so many eldercare issues.

Martie I love, love that corn & pennisetum combo in fact, I like the Helianthus there too just needs some fill-in shorter stuff in front.

Norma love the 3 Ws amen Im wishing them a lot!!

o Gardenbug, -- ugh to the mildew!! Hope it isnt an idyll contaminant! Sounds horrible to clean up but I guess you were lucky to catch it.

O.k. Im off to the big Monday work blitz.

Cindy

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Good morning. Thanks Sue, for "The Dash". It's beautiful. That and this week's activities are a stark reminder. I hope to catch up with you all later today. But...

HI SAUCY! Welcome back. And Chelone, our hearts and thots are with you.

Im emotionally drained. I spent the end of last week coordinating my part of getting food ready for the luncheon after my friends memorial, going thru albums and boxes of photos and copying them, etc.

The memoral Sat. was small, not a big fuss, as Sharon wouldve preferred, but was heartfelt and beautiful. Id found numerous pix of her and us, which I gave her DH. He had pix of us that Id forgotten, such as from our annual PJ party. There were 4 of us friends that got together the Fri. after Thanksgiving every yr. We kicked out her DH, brot food and beverages, had a great gab fest and spent the night. We solved each others problems and left feeling that we improved the worlds condition. It was a really special time.

My friends ashes will be scattered at a beautiful lake near my friends DB. T, the name of it is Lake ODell. I think it might be near you. The service was personal and heart wrenching. Her DH closed with the song, "Goodbye My Lover" by James Blunt. Here are the lyrics:

"Did I disappoint you or let you down?
    Should I be feeling guilty or let the judges frown?
    'Cause I saw the end before we'd begun,
    Yes I saw you were blinded and I knew I had won.

So I took what's mine by eternal right.
    Took your soul out into the night.
    It may be over but it won't stop here,
    Ill be with you always, I care.

You touched my heart you touched my soul.
    You changed my life and all my goals.
    And love is blind and that I knew when,
    My heart was blinded by you.

I've kissed your lips and held your head.
    Shared your dreams and shared your bed.
    I know you well, I know your smell.
    I've been addicted to you.

Goodbye my lover.
    Goodbye my friend.
    You have been the one.
    You have been the one for me.

I am a dreamer but when I wake,
    You can't break my spirit - it's my dreams you take.
    And as you move on, remember me,
    Remember us and all we used to be
    I've seen you cry, I've seen you smile.
    I've watched you sleeping for a while.
    I'm the father of your child.
    And I spent a lifetime with you.
    I know your fears and you know mine.
    We've had our doubts but now we're fine,
    And I love you, I swear that's true.
    I cannot live without you.

Goodbye my lover.
    Goodbye my friend.
    You have been the one.

And I still hold your hand in mine.
    In mine when I'm asleep.
    And I will bear my soul in time,
    When I'm kneeling at your feet.

Goodbye my lover.
    Goodbye my friend.
    You have been the one.
    I'm so hollow, baby, I'm so hollow.
    I'm so, I'm so, I'm so hollow.
    Goodbye."

Im thinking of all. I need some alone time in the garden to refresh my spirit. Later, friends. Honey

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

It has been a tiring week, but I've been loving every minute of it. Today is the first day that I've not gone to help with the boys. I feel a bit lost, LOL, and wish that I was there. I hesitate to phone, don't want to wake DD & her hubby if they are getting to sleep, but also hope they aren't sitting there, bleary eyed & exhausted--wishing I'd call to offer to come over so they can sleep. Dilemna! I told them to call me at any time if they needed an extra set of hands or needed relief so they could get a couple hours sleep, that I would wait for their call. Usually we've set up a time (I'll be there at 5:30 or 6 a.m.) but the boys are nursing better and sleeping a bit better so they didn't think they'd need me to come at a set time....they are concerned about over using my offers of assistance. Heck, don't they know that they couldn't do that at this point?!!! ;o) Any chance I get of holding, cuddling and nuzzling those little guys is a blessing for ME.

Honey, you've been on my mind.....what a difficult week it had to have been.

Well, I just talked with DD (yes, I broke down and phoned her ;o) ) They had a pretty good night and she didn't sound too tired. She said she thinks the babies are getting into somewhat of a routine but I think it is that the parents have figured out how to make the most of the lulls between feedings, crying and are just so tired that sleeping for 1 hour feels heavenly. I'm going to make a trip into town in a couple hours to pick them up some things (groceries & household 'stuff').

Hope all are well.........

T.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Just now had time to read "The Dash" -, thanks for the link, Sue. How timely for a lot of reasons... it's a real "choker"....

Honey, I hope you find respite and solace in the garden this week.

--Cindy

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Honey -- My heart has been "tugging" this week and between "The Dash" and your description of the PJ party I'm sitting here in tears. Shouldn't have looked at that link twice!!

Hope that you allow yourself all the sadness, anger, frustration, love, sorrow and other emotions you need. Now might be a really good time to plant a tree .....

Martie