Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Idyll #330 Bone dry and tough as nails!

I was just adding up rainfall from April to the end of July and comparing it to last year. We had pretty ideal rain conditions most of last year. So far this year we are 6.6 inches behind last year's rainfall! And that doesn't include the effect of having quite a dry winter too. It's a wonder anything is still alive out there....

Comments (101)

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Glad to see the tgif! I was starting to worry. Hi Sue!

Eden

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Okey dokey - now it is Friday!

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

O, My, lots I've missed; no time but time to say

Happy Birthday, Deanne!!!!

{{gwi:175105}}

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday to a wonderful gardener and all around great person. Thanks for always taking the time to post your beautiful photos. I've learned so much from you!

{{gwi:175108}}

Eden

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:175112}}

A dead monitor has sidelined me this week but it is now operational again after fast service via courier from manufacturer....

It's nice that some of you have been getting rain. Not a thing here! It's painful to watch the weather radar and see rain clouds heading our way only to have them slide by to the north or south and miss us completely. It seems like there must be some odd air circulation pattern going on at this end of the lake this year that is driving all the clouds away.

Honey - have you looked to see if there's a 'kick me' sign on your back?! :-) You guys have been having an incredible run of bad luck! I hope some good news heads your way soon - starting with a new job perhaps...?

Kathy - my condolences on the loss of Bo-Boo kitty. That's always such a sad event.

Eden (and Deanne...) do you have some secret to watering all those pots efficiently? I only have a few (

The brick edging is progressing. I hope the front will be done by the end of the first week of September. The new wisteria bed is finished (but I wish I had made it a slightly different shape! One of the drawbacks to doing the edging is that it will no longer be easy to change the shape of things.) The metal edging is in place for all the remaining areas, the trench dug out and the first layer of screenings put in and tamped down. The bricks are currently sitting in place but now I need to do the final layer of screenings to bring them to the proper height, level them and fill the 'seams' between them. Because I am doing the tamping of the screenings by hand with a rubber mallet, and because I'm not Hercules :-) I fear that the bricks will settle more than I expect over the winter and I'll need to raise them next spring. I hope not! In anticipation of a fair bit of settling, I'm leaving them a reasonable height above the top of the metal edging. The ones lining the main path have already settled level with the metal. Those ones get a lot of traffic across them from moving all the bricks etc. for the rest of the edging so I hope they are pretty much through with settling. Once the front is finished, I'll be doing several areas in the backyard too. But it will be a much smaller job and hopefully the weather will be cooler by then which should make it easier to work.

We were dog sitting this week - Liam the Border Collie. He's Misty's favorite visiting buddy I think. He pays her just the right amount of attention , is both calm but playful and very gentle with her. She even allows him to join the morning 'cuddle huddle' on the bed - a privilege she allows no other visiting dog!

• wendy2
    16 years ago

{{gwi:175115}}

Happy Birthday Deanne!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

{{gwi:175119}}

Too hazy for good photo ops in my garden today so here's one from IU4.

Hope you enjoyed the day!

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

{{gwi:175121}}

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEANNE , FROM THE REDWOOD FOREST...

kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Deanne!

{{gwi:169942}}

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday V!

{{gwi:175122}}

As an added birthday bonus looks like the rain's finally on it's way out. Have a great day!

Eden

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good Morning all,

Thanks so much for all the lovely birthday greetings! We had a lovely dinner party here last night cooked by my friend MJ and it was out of this world into the next. Marvelous! We also opened one of our bottles of Groth Cabernet. Yum!

Eden, I didn't count my pots yet but I'll do it today. You are a hoot! Now am I supposed to count all the baby plants I have coming along or not?

Without further ado here's wishing V a marvelous birthday!
    {{gwi:175123}}

Time to get a move on here as the temps are going to get almost to 100 today and I've got to get the heavy work done before the day warms up too much. Have a terrific day everyone,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday V! (Indy dog is enjoying catching sticks in Georgian Bay here and would have loved Mystic's company!)

{{gwi:175124}}

• just_t
    16 years ago

{{gwi:175125}}

V, I hope you have a wonderful (and dry) day!

T.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday V and Deanne!!!!!!!!!!!! Will get some pics tomorrow for you -- today it's 105 heat index and 70% humidity. Not a great day for garden trolling.

Kathy -- Thanks for the Aloha info. Don't know if it's the true "one" but am hopeful. Yet another must-have for California :-) Your car will soon navigate to Home Goods on its own. Leave plastic at home. Be sure to have empty car boot. Friends don't let friends go to Home Goods unprepared.

Chelone: So Good to Hear You without a Grimace!!!! I empathize with the "garden is empty" syndrome. It's hard not to get impatient and cram things in for the sake of covering brown. That said, even Rich was noticing that I Was Right about the three year wait being worth it :-) Yes, we can get full-sized stuff but who wants to spend the $$$$? Thought of you the other day when Christmas fabric was out at Joann's. Already???? Pretty cool tassles, too. Of course, had to get them at full price because they were so cool that they may be sold out before they go on sale. Tassle addiction isn't so bad, Right????

Wendy: I've been meaning and meaning to just say "hi".

Deanne: If you're ever headed south, wanna document my garden with your camera??? I've tried and tried and just don't have the eye. I think it looks better than the pics show, but you may be able to "get" it.

That said, of course ANYONE is ALWAYS welcome.

Glad that the flooding did not horrifically impact anyone. The pics we're seeing are awful ...

'bug: I think it appropriate that Reed touches a Great Lake before an ocean :-) Thought I had lost my 'Josephine' to wilt, but it's throwing some new growth and there is hope!!

To everyone -- Hope everyone stays upright and talking -- some days that's enough :-)

Martie

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

eek! I'm gone for a few days and not only do we have one birthday but TWO sneaking by me!!! Sorry Deanne & V, I have to get out and start shooting. We have a storm brewing so I may not get anything postable until tomorrow.

I too am thankful for the idyll queries about flooding in my area. Drema I'm glad you are OK-I was wondering.I am safe and sound but it's sobering to hear how many other areas not so far away have been having serious flood probs. The big talk here is how few people even bother with flood insurance since the areas being flooded don't usually get so much water--I guess it's strange weather patterns causing the trouble.
    We were talking about how little we've been hiking this summer-haven't visited our waterfall and only went to tadpole ponds twice. Chris wants to get me doing some trail running with him since he feels his knees are ready to get exercising again. I NEED something to burn off the wiggly flab around my middle: ) It's bad when you have boobs AND belly scraping the pavement...lol

Hey has anyone heard of OT Terragona? It's a cross of oriental and trumpet lily. I bought some for cheap: )but the blooms were spent so I won't know what it's like till next summer. It's supposed to be creamy white with a yellow center.

Sorry I can't post comments to the latest posts here. It's MIL day(yippee?). I have tales of the new school year to tell too but it will have to wait. I hope you are having productive weekends, everybody;relaxing ones count too: )

Peace,man.
    ~babs

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Babs, I can't believe you've found Tarragona and for cheap!!!! I've been looking for it all summer here and haven't been able to find any, anywhere.
    Here is a pic from 05 I took of some I had that I lost last winter.
    {{gwi:175126}}

If there are any left is there any possibility that you could pick up a couple pots for me then send the bulbs after frost???? It really is a fabulous and beautiful lily.

Martie, next time I'm in your neighborhood with my camera I'd be happt to snap some pics for you.

OK I've got to move the hoses.
    Later
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago
  • woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:175128}}
    Anybody home....?!

We got 1.25" of rain yesterday! The plants are looking happier this morning but we're still 6.6" behind on total rainfall, so much more is needed - but not in the forecast unfortunately. The only things that are blooming now that really seem to have taken the drought in stride and haven't blinked at all are Russian Sage and Gaura. Butterfly bushes have also done reasonably well - the ones that made it through last winter at least.... 'Becky' daisies did well all summer but they finished blooming a week or two ago. The hibiscus are doing well and are certainly some of the showiest flowers in the garden now but they have needed some supplemental water. The Chinese wisteria 'tree' did not bloom this spring due to cold damage to the buds in early May but has been blooming non-stop since the second week of July! It does that every year and makes it worth growing even if it never blooms in spring - although it was spectacular when it did bloom last spring. It's a much bigger plant now so I'm hoping for a milder spring for 2008 so it will bloom again. Some of the asters that usually get ratty bottom leaves at this time of year have (so far at least...) healthy foliage from top to bottom so it seems like they like the current conditions. It's always interesting to assess the garden at this time of year to see what the really tough beauties are and plan to add more of them for next year.

• wendy2
    16 years ago

{{gwi:175130}}

Happy Birthday V!

• saucydog
    16 years ago

A calamity of gigantic proportions is preventing me from a proper post....univited guests X 2, spilled water, stopped up potty.....

I am heading home tomorrow but by shear luck found a very poor internet connection on the front porch of the vacation home :) At least I got to read and catch up :)

Much to comment on as I get back.....we decided to take another day and avoid the usual Sunday traffic.

Hello to all and birthday wishes to those who I missed.

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Yoo-hoo Idylls ! Where the heck is everyone ? I hope all the flood region folks are OK. DS and I attended the Redwood Empire Bonsai show today. Wonderful trees on display. I love looking at them but I dont have the patience required. DS is very interested in Bonsai and has started a bit of a collection. He occasionally goes to the meetings and workshops of our local Napa County Bonsai Society. I bought a new fridge on Friday after work and its going to be delivered tomorrow. Mine is over 15 years old and falling apart rapidly. Im only working two days this week, Wed is packing and watering day, and then DS and I are off on our road trip to Oregon to visit DD and BILs.

Saucy, a plugged potty on vaca is bad !

Woody, speaking of asters, Ive just got them all over the place. I always feel so reluctant to thin them out, but they starting to become a nuisance.

Martie, If your Aloha has one of the little round metal tags you shoud be able to see if it is the older version. Hybridizer is Boerner, and is would be a non-patent rose now.

Hello to all , I have to finish emptying the fridge !

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Martie, you wouldn't have the other Aloha unless you had looked high and low and maybe had it imported from Germany. The Aloha stocked by places like Chamblees and ARE and your local nurseries is the classic version Kathy references and that's very cold hardy (z5). Still, best chance is with own root roses (even here in zone 7).

Happy belated birthday to Deanne & V! Wishing perfect gardening weather for both of you :)

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

{{gwi:175131}}

{{gwi:175132}}

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Morning, It's just a beautiful day here today. Not much is going on here, just the same day to day stuff. I'm trying to get the finishing touches on the bedroom and may begin moving some plants around the garden and getting the pot ghetto into the ground. It's stayed small this year, not more than a dozen pots. I'm starting to think about painting the living room once gardening season is over and am looking at colors, thinking maybe a nice sage green?

Kathy, lucky you a new refrig and a vacation all in one week! Mine's 27 years old as it the matching stove. They both still work fine though.

Very nice to see Cynthia's post here this morning.

No time for comments. Brad leaves for work in 45 min so I'm going to go sit and have coffee with him before he goes.

Eden

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Lol Deanne-leave to me to not know what I scored on. That IS a beauty-thanks for the pic. You'll scream to know I picked that lily up for just 5 bucks! I should have bought more!! It was about two weeks ago when I bought it. I will try to get to the nursery this week and see if they have more. Cross thy fings: )

Hi Saucy! It's good to hear from you-yuck about the potty: (

V I'm not sure what the flower is in your bday card-if it's some noxious weed I apologize: ) but it made such a nice pic I thought. That was from our tadpole ponds down the road where we love to hike.

Wish I could linger here-but my work calls. BOTH my kids have colds-I wonder if they'll end up at the clinic when I go in today. School has officially begun lol.

Have fun-it's cool-great for plant shifting...

~Babs

• just_t
    16 years ago

Good morning. Not sure, or rather I haven't decided, what the day holds for me today other than needing to go grocery shopping and take some things to the recycling center (oh joy).

The weekend brought nice weather, a bit overcast but warm. I spent part of Saturday doing some weeding, deadheading and such. Sunday, after church, was just spent sitting around with a relative who had gone out for a motorcycle ride and stopped by to visit us. Lovely!

Well....I'm still leading a boring life ;o), so that is pretty much what is happening here...other than to share, with the long-time Idylls, that I received a note that EP and Partner are together once more.

T.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Thanks for the EP update, T.

I'm busy with boring stuff too. I love it! Babies!!! :) DD is at court today- :(. The kids have gone to dip toes in Lake Erie. I'm home to nap, shower, mow and launder. All in silence. Tonight we expect DS too! YES!

It's official. I'M SICK OF FOOD! UGH!

I'm reading along, but not time to contribute much but photos on the other thread.

Ciao!~
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

T, thanks for letting us know.

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Ooops! I meant DH is in court today ...and NOT enjoying a small claims settlement session. We'll see how things go.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes! It was a hectic weekend as I took DD back to school on Saturday, we had a church function that evening, and a dinner for MIL's 75th on Sunday evening. In between, we are trying to get the garden ready for our pig roast next weekend. I took today off to work on weeding inside and out. I had a productive morning outside, but the mozzies may have been the real winner. :( Now I'm going to tackle the guest bedroom as it is thundering outside.

T, thanks for that update. Rather than feeling sad, I feel content that they are together again. They seemed to make a great couple.

Babs, the plant is Verbena hastata or blue vervain, and it is a native plant, not a noxious weed. Lovely photo!

Wendy, your photo of the canna at Chanticleer is wonderful - I can't believe how that leaf glows.

V.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

T, Your life can't be any more boring than mine. Thanks for the EP update. My veiws are like V's. I still think of her often.
    I loved the pics you posted recently of your grand youngun's. Life can't be boring with those guys around.

Happy belated birthdays V and Deanne. Hope you both had fun ones.
    Deanne , your Kitty looks right at home in that tree.
    V, I would love to see more pics of your swiming pond when you have time.

Eden I have kept the pot ghetto low this year too. But I have lots of moving and dividing to do. Part of my living room is sage green. I find it very easy to live with. Since I don't have curtains it blends very well with the outdoors.

Kathy enjoy your vacation. And Saucy welcome back.

GB. I wondered about DD going to court at your place.LOL
    Enjoy every minute with those grandsons.

Hi to everyone else.

I had a good start outside this morning, then a bout of nausea overtook me and I have been wasted the rest of the day.

Woody the heat and dry has returned here. Like you I have been taking stock of what is tough enough to withstand this.

Babs, going back to school with colds is a bummer. Hope the boys feel better soon.

Need to do something about supper, but I think DH will be on his own tonight.

Later . Norma

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good evening all,

We had a nice weekend and Doug is working from home this week so it's been nice to have him around for a while. Off to Rochester next week though. DD is looking for apartments. Woohoo!

I've had to do quite a bit of watering in the last week as it's been hot and no rain. Saturday was pretty brutal. I had these great plans to finish up my rock edging on the back of the house and after watering I was already soaked with sweat from the humidity so I decided that it was a good day to stay in the AC and read a book. Doug did some computer stuff so we had quite a relaxing day.

Today I went to visit my friend with the broken ankle and it turns out not only is her ankle broken but the leg above the ankle as well. She had three breaks and they had to do surgery and put plates in the ankle. She's quite heavy and cannot use crutches so they had to keep her in the hospital and because she couldn't get up they had to catheterize her and now she has a bladder infection. One thing keeps leading to another. I feel so badly for her. She's the sweetest most generous person you'd ever want to meet and I wish there was something more I could do for her other than visiting. Oh well, they're moving her to a nursing home tonight so I'm going to run over there tomorrow with a stack of books and some flowers. (Her DH didn't even buy her any flowers. Good grief!)

Babs, I'm crossing my fingers that you can find more of those lilies. They really are gorgeous. ~~ Could that be Beacon in that BDay card???? Love it!

Cynthia, so nice to hear from you. Please don't be so scarce. How are the puppies doing?

Norma, sorry you got sick, hope you are feeling better soon.

T, thank you for sharing that information.

Kathy, what did you get for a fridge? I'd love to get a new one. Mine is about the same vintage as your old one and it's getting tired.

Eden I finally got a container count, You beat me by a mile! LOL I only have 152 containers. Now if you want to count all the baby plants I have coming along there are another thirty or so plants but I still don't come close to your 200!!!! I love it, another person who is more addicted to container gardening than I am. I'd like to know how many Denise has as it looks like she could be in contention for the most containers here.

OK I've got to get some dinner going so I'll sign off for now.

Have a great evening all
    Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

I've not even attempted to "catch up" with reading. But the post about EP caught my eye... and the news made me smile and look out on the perfect Maine day differently. What GOOD news.

You know, when it became clear that Mum could no longer live alone in her home I shared my worries, fears, and irritation with her lack of planning on this forum. I'm sure more than a few were shocked... but that didn't bother me a bit. I know, full right well, that I'm riding the crest of the tsunami that is about to hit this country. And EP was one of the most supportive voices... because it made her think about her own circumstances differently, and to look at it from the standpoint of the person who would have to pick up the reins and guide the team when she would no longer be able. I never had the presence of mind to say that to her... but I so wish I had! She was a lovely, dynamic presence on the Idylls and I miss her still. Weren't we just so, SO fortunate to have enjoyed for as long as we did? (and that goes for alltharestayas, too!).

It was GORGEOUS today. I finished the 3rd. coat on the first side of the "man" doors yesterday and flipped them over to begin the inside of them. The shingles on the gable end with the garage doors were completed today. The "boom" that will hold the block and tackle to hoist heavy items to the attic area was installed, too. The doors for the attic area are yet to be built, but the effect will be aesthetically nice... very baHn-like.

I have taken pictures and may break my promise and post shots before transferring the picture files to CDs. But you'll have to continue with your enforced patience.

Hoping pre-backtoschool colds abate soon.
    Good to see Cynthia... worried about your pack and YOU.
    Deanne and Eden blow my mind... talk about a "bucket brigade"?!
    Hoping Sue's bout with Lyme.D. is nearing a happy outcome.
    Must we look at so many baby pictures, 'bug? ;)
    Good to hear from T AND Norma!
    Kathy, you crack me up... Angela Lansbury... LOL
    Saucy, plugged hoppers are NO FUN, but make for good anecdotes.
    Wendy, heard "Convoy" yesterday and CRACKED UP, lol.
    Cindy, loved your Clematis shot.
    V., hope your pig roast is success.

Warm birthday wished to all our birthday girls... but I'm too damn lazy to scare up a picture for you right now.

Hi Marian! hi Brenda! and hello to Dianthus (hope there's no back to school cold for you).

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

So DH has been trying to close down his old software company for ages and it all takes time. More time than you can imagine. He has ONE employee for ONE day per week. That's it. So this author who wrote some material for the company years ago (DH never met the guy) takes him to small claims court for $3000. DH agrees that he is owed the money, but because NO ONE has been paid for years, it seems wrong legally to pay him before, say, the tax people, the rental of space, and other such things. So he wrote him a note saying pretty much that he is on the list of people owed money once that stuff is settled. Well he was not content with this. So Dh wrote out all sorts of stuff about how to resolve things. Today they met to settle with the judge. The judge had little patience with the guy and suggests they meet once more in late October or November. The fellow was furious and said he hoped DH's children could live with a man with such low morals etc. Anyway, we hope that the employee can get most of the accounts settled by the end of October. I feel badly for the guy who simply doesn't understand the process. He's trying to sue the individual when it is the company that must be dealt with.

On the even more ridiculous front, once more New York State is investigating mother's taxes!!!!! I can't bear it!!!!!!

It is dark out at 8:30pm. I mowed but haven't weeded in weeks! Don't know if I'll EVER catch up.

Hello to all!!!
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Marie, you're a grandma now, so by my experience, nope you'll never catch up.And if you're anything like me, catching up in the garden has fallen way down the list in the order of importance.

Norma, hope you feel better really soon. Thanks for telling me about your sage green room. I've never done green before but I want a color that feels calm and peaceful.

Babs, hope the boys are better soon and you don't catch the cold too.

V, enjoy your pig roast.

Deanne, well I would have bet that you had more. Yours are better groomed and in prettier pots, that's for sure:)

Chelone, yes, do show us some pics please! Oh and I'm getting close to being ready to show you pics of those two rooms I've been working on since last Jan. Stay tuned...

I agree it's wonderful that EP and partner are united again. I miss her wise words here too!

It's getting dark earlier. Not even 9pm and it's black outside tonight. Guess that means I can turn in early. Nite all!

Eden

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all

Well we have a perfect day shaping up here and I'm hoping to be able to finish my rock edging in the garden but between gym, trip to Milford to see friend in rehab, visit from other friend with new baby, watering etc., etc., etc we'll see. I have a feeling it will be all I can do to get the watering done.

I'd taken a four week sabbatical from going to the gym this summer because I was working so steadily in the gardens and the hour and a half at the gym halves the amount of time I can do heavy work outside. Anyway, I'd decided that 'vacation' was over the week after my birthday so yesterday was my first day back. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could still do my hour on the stairs. I could only do 50 steps per minute instead of 60 but no complaints. (I can even walk this morning LOL)

Eden, no kidding about the shorter days. Yikes! It seems that the days get really shorter very fast this time of the year. ~~ I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new room.

Bug, sorry for your DH's problems with closing his business. And, I CAN'T believe you are dealing with the state and your mother's taxes again. Good grief!

Chelone, can't wait to see pics of your garage.

OK I'm off to get the watering done and haul myself to the gym.

Have a great day everyone,
    Deanne

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Good morning!

Well, the heat has broken and it is cool and dry this AM, and I'm off to work! Bummer. The weekend weather is supposed to be good too though - time to get out there and start digging. I have some shade plants that are suffering from too much sun, have to shuffle some things around.

Babs, 1st day of school on a Monday - yucky! My kids start back on Thursday, easing into it for two days and then a long weekend. I liked it better when they started after Labor Day.

Hi Dianthus - Olly Olly oxen free - come out, come out, wherever you are!

We had all three toilets at the office back up last week simultaneously; it wasn't pretty. I am still thanking my lucky stars that I was not the fatal flush. We were under a no-flush order all afternoon until the rooter man could come and rescue us. He blamed the weak flush of the water saving toilets, but I think there is a larger problem lurking in the neighborhood sewer system - there is occasionally a foul scent in the air in our area. Shudder.

On a lighter note, this is for Chelone and other CW McCall fans - I know you're out there:

Convoy

By Bill Fries & Chip Davis

Uh, Breaker One-Nine, this here's the Rubber Duck
    You got a copy on me Pig-Pen? C'mon

Uh, yeah 10-4 Pig Pen, fer sure, fer sure
    By golly it's clean clear to Flag-Town, C'mon

Uh, yeah, that's a big 10-4 Pig-Pen,
    Yeah, we definitely got us the front door good buddy,
    Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy

Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
    In a Kenworth, pullin' logs
    Cabover Pete with a reefer on
    And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
    We 'as headin' fer bear on I-One-Oh
    'Bout a mile outta Shaky-Town
    I sez Pig-Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
    An' I'm about to put the hammer on down

Cause we gotta little ol' convoy, rockin' through the night
    Yeah we gotta little ol' convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
    Come on an' join our convoy, ain't nothin' gonna git in our way
    We're gonna roll this truckin' convoy, cross the USA
    Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, breaker Pig-Pen, this here's The Duck
    Uh, you wanna back off them hogs
    10-4, 'bout five mile or so, 10-roger
    Them hogs is gittin' in-tense up here

By the time we got into Tulsa-Town
    We had eighty-five trucks in all
    But they's a road block up on the clover leaf
    An' them bears 'as wall to wall
    Yeah them smokies 'as thick as bugs on a bumper
    They even had a bear-in-the-air
    I sez callin' all trucks, this here's The Duck
    We about to go a huntin' bear

Cause we gotta great big convoy, rockin' through the night
    Yeah we gotta great big convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
    Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, you wanna give me a 10-9 on that Pig-Pen?
    Uh, negatory Pig-Pen, yer still too close
    Yeah, them hogs is startin' close up my sinuses
    Mercy sakes, you better back off another ten

Well we rolled up interstate fourty-four
    Like a rocket sled on rails
    We tore up all a our swindle sheets
    An' left 'em settin' on the scales
    By the time we hit that Chi-Town
    Them bears was a gittin' smart
    They'd brought up some reinforcements
    From the Illinois National Guard
    There 'as armored cars, and tanks, and Jeeps
    An' rigs of every size
    Yeah them chicken coops 'as full a bears
    An' choppers filled the skies
    Well we shot the line, an' we went for broke
    With a thousand screamin' trucks
    And eleven long-haired friends of Jesus
    In a chartreusse microbus

Hey Sod Buster, listen
    You wanna put that microbus in behind the suicide jockey?
    Yeah, he's haulin dynamite
    He needs all the help he can git

Well we laid a strip fer the Jersey Shore
    An' prepared to cross the line
    I could see the bridge 'as lined with bears
    But I didn't have a doggone dime
    I sez Pig-Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
    We just ain't a gonna pay no toll
    So we crashed the gate doin' ninety-eight
    I sez, let them truckers roll, 10-4

Cause we gotta mighty convoy, rockin' through the night
    Yeah we gotta mighty convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
    Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, 10-4 Pig-Pen, what's yer 20?
    Omaha?!
    Well they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there fer sure
    Well mercy sakes alive good buddy
    We gonna back on outta here
    So keep the bugs off yer glass
    An' the bears off yer... tail
    We gonna catch ya on the flip-flop
    This here's the Rubber Duck on the side
    We gone
    Bye, Bye...

I've been practicing the words, I'll be ready for IU5.

Speaking of songs I haven't heard in forever, I scored an Iron Butterfly CD when I went to Newbury Comics with DD. It has the original In A Gadda Da Vida, plus a live version AND a hologram of the band with a giant psychedelic butterfly on the cover. I had to leave the CD case with the hologram at home when I brought the CD on the car, I was afraid it would interfere with my driving!

Anyway, it is getting late - off to face the day!

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

I was going to say good morning but I see it's afternoon. This day is flying by. Beautiful outside, but I haven't made it to the garden yet.

Wendy, boy that song brings back memories. I had a boyfriend back in 75 with one of those customized chevy vans with the shag carpet on the walls and a cb radio.

OK, here are some pictures of the first room we started back in Jan. Bella and I share this room as you'll be able to tell in the pics.

It's a small room so hard to get shots of. I'll start from the door and go around the room. The walls show up on my monitor a bit paler yellow than they really are.

These are the shelves Brad built. I get the top half and Bella gets the bottom ones.

{{gwi:175133}}

{{gwi:175134}}

Bella's little bed

{{gwi:175136}}

My area

{{gwi:175137}}

That's Bella's moon up in the right corner. It has a remote control that she can use to make it go through the moon's phases. She likes to turn it on when she goes to sleep at night.

{{gwi:175138}}

That's it. Pictures of the the next room to follow in a week or so.

Eden

• denisez10
    16 years ago

What a sunny, happy room for you and Bella to share. Looks like the nursery after Mary Poppins snapped her fingers, lol. I'm sure Bella will take advantage of the open shelving and bin storage system you've set up to keep her toys and treasures tidy -- my own boys with a similar system, not so much ;o) The soles of my feet have been toughened considerably by treading on errant Lego pieces over the years. Still digging them up in the garden, along with marbles from previous generations.

Southern half of the West Coast contingent checking in. Eight days, 2,200 miles in a '70 VW bus, corgie in tow, up through California, over the Cascades, through Portland (saw and partook of Cistus Nursery) out to the coast near Tillamook, Neetarts Bay, 12 family/friends in a gorgeous beach house, very little friction, no fights, done with food as 'bug says. That's the short version -- you may now exhale ;>)

Around Neetarts Bay, orange crocosmias are weeds. An umbellifer, probaby Sweet Cicely, grows in the ditches with blackberries and Queen Anne's Lace. There was occasional ceanothus still in bloom. Cistus widely planted. Hydrangeas are everywhere and always blue, sometimes purply. There was a large-leaved polygonum/knotweed that had designs on ruling the plant world. That's the skim off the top of my head, but Oregon does seem to be plant-growing paradise.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Here's the song for anybody who wants to be taken back to the 70s.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Hey Denise, Deanne and I think you may be in contention for Idyller with the most containers. Count????

Sounds like a fun vacation! Welcome back.

Eden

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Make that 13 days away, I was just reminded.

Hi, Eden. As far as pots, I'm a piker compared to you pros. I'd estimate under 40. I'll take a head count as I tend to the invalids. Lots survived but there are a few losses outside of the timer irrigation zone. One of my boys stayed home to start school, and did a great job with the cats and plants. I have to say that Convoy is completely off my cultural radar -- what a stunted life I've led!

• chelone
    16 years ago

We have a very pretty screen door on the front of the house. It has the old-fashioned method of closure, just a little spring loaded doohicky. You just push the door, no knob to turn. Rex mastered it in no time flat.

I retired to the security of the bedroom about 8-8:30 last night, helpmeet was watching the Kevin Spacey labor of love, "Beyond the Sea" (it's great) and dozing off on the couch. Evidently, the huge one decided to let himself out (helpmeet having forgotten to close the big door to prevent "AbsentWithOutLeash" activity). He was awakened by frenzied barking and several high-pitched, anguished animal cries. He flew down the stair and called Rex, who returned immediately and obviously stricken.

At that point I vaulted out of bed, rolling the sleeping cat (Vera) uncermoniously onto the floor. I raced down the stairs in my night attire, underpants (not lime green ones). I have little fear the imagination of the crew will cue up a nice visual of the dash down the stairs... . The helpmeet was examining Rex, fearfully looking for quills and oblivious to the slowly permeating smell of something akin to burnt rubber... .

Yup; SKUNKED. First time in my life I've ever had a pet skunked! Still clad only in underpants, I ordered the boy and his dog OUTDOORS and raced back up the stairs to Google "cleaning a skunked dog". I retireved the dog shampoo, rubber gloves, towels and presented them to the helpmeet. I stumbled to the spigot and hooked the watering wand to the hose and dragged that to the stricken cur (securely tied to the contractor's trailer...) and bolted back upstairs to put on a tee shirt and locate the remaining amount of "Skunk Kleen". And we washed the dog.

The helpmeet then located Mr. Skunkie, by the side of the road. To quell the rising smell he decided to put him a plastic bag and bury him in the morning... but Mr. Skunkie was still alive. We decided to call the cops and ask what to do with a wounded skunk in the road... cop arrived, rolled down the window and helpmeet said, "so this is the glamorous side of policework, huh?". The officer cracked up and they went to the site of Mr. Skunkie... no skunkie, but a pool of blood. No blood trail, and a careful search of the area revealed nothing. So we have no idea where he is now, or whether or not he's died somewhere nearby.

We do not know if he'd been hit by a car and Rex "discovered him" and was then sprayed or if he was contentedly scrounging around the gaHden and Rex discovered him, attacked him, and then was sprayed. What I do know is that my home still smells of skunk, the dog is going to receive a repeat of the neutralizer, and he is going to smell unpleasant for some time to come.

I hate dogs.

Eden, beautiful room!
    Denise... have you seen "Little Miss Sunshine"? LOL, I'll never look at another VW bus the same way again.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Chelone, the same thing happened with Bud the first year we had him. Only it was Oct. and I was out in the cold at 10 pm washing my 130 lb. dog. I was so mad at him. Be warned Rex will smell of skunk on rainy or humid days for quite some time. I thought you were going to say that he hurt his leg again so the skunk story was a relief. I don't know about my room being beautiful but it's definitely a product of form following function. It's nice to have all of Bella's things in one contained area.

Denise, but you have 40 very cool pots! Deanne and I are just looking for someone else as addicted as we are, lol. So far Bella's good about putting her toys away but we haven't gotten into Legos or Barbie with all of her little shoes yet.

I didn't get a thing done in the garden today except watering. Not good.

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Greetings Idyllers near and far
    Remind me to tell you my skunk story sometime. Though there were no spraying incidents on large hateful dogs, it is quite a saga. Chelone, like Eden I read ahead to the end fearing some horrible calamity to Rexs person involving the vet and more surgical intervention. Perhaps a nice bottle of Channel #5 or Jungle Gardenia would help.

I worked from 6ish this morning till nearly 5:30 trying to get things in order before I was off on vacation. In the immortal worlds of the Wicked Witch of the West "What a world, what a world !!" I am now however officially on vaca and enjoying an adult beverage.

We are expecting 90-plus temps the next couple of days, so I will be glad to be heading north to relatively milder temps, though we have to drive through some god-awful heat pits (like Corning, Redding, Lake Shasta, ) to get there. Tomorrow I will water everything, move all pots to the shade and my neighbor will check on them while we are gone.

So, Eden I love what you have done with your Bella room. I especially enjoyed viewing the very spot you are sitting in when you post to us-assuming that is where you sit of course. I am responding in king, at the end of this post I am including a pic of my computer desk-where I sit when posting. I hope others will do the same-it would be fun to share and envision others posting environments . Your bookcases are great ! Kudos to Brad.. I counted 112 containers. That scares me.

Denise, welcome back from your travelswill you have photos to share ?? Hot damn, a 1970 VW bus- how many engines has it had ??? You are now the official Idylling Merry Prankster

Cynthia Good to hear from you ! How are the kids ? I wonder if that Kordes version of Aloha will be sold in the US under another name ? You are right, I dont think you can get it here now.

Deanne , I pretty much got a similar fridge to the one I had before, a good old Kenmore side-by-side, water and ice in the door. What I would really like is a freezer on the bottom, side by side combo, but they are ungodly expensive. I think I actually paid within 100 bucks for this fridge what we paid for the old one 15 years ago. My kitchen is very small , and needs a re-do but I fear it is not in the budget at this time.

T, I will wave at you as I approach the PNW !

OK , time to go---where is Marian, Mariann, and I dont think weve heard from Cindy for a few days ..? Hello to all those not mentioned, Ill post again tomorrow before my Bon Voyage.

Oh, by the way I could not help but notice the dialog about EP , she was before my time, would it be insensitive of me to ask where she went and why she no longer posts here ? Does she lurk ? It sounds like she was a valued contributor to the group.

OK, ta ta for now, and here is my writing spot !

{{gwi:175139}}

• chelone
    16 years ago

EP has departed this world, Kathy. And now her partner has, too. She was a lovely person and her presence is still missed.

Have a great vacation. So, that's where you hang out and type the late night missives that make me chuckle before the sun rises here in Maine... very pleasant.

Rex is still pretty "strong". I returned home with more anti-skunk goop and he received another "treatment". As soon as he was wet with it he began to stink again. I can't wait for the next rainy stretch. LOL I think perfume would make matters worse... kinda like "air freshener" in a bathroom. What's worse, -hit? or -hit and perfume? Know what I mean? :)

Off to my most recent "life sentance", shaped bolsters for a big sport fishing boat. Prodgress has been glacial on them. And then a joined cushion for a chaise... with inner spring inserts. A favorite of mine.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

We are in for another really lovely day here and Im hoping to be able to finish my rock edging at the back of the house. Im pretty pleased because there is still quite a bit of interest in the borders for this late in the season. That Nora Leigh phlox is gorgeous right now. Ill have to snap a few pics today. The containers are still looking great and the fuchsias are all starting to put on another flush of bloom after I pruned them a few weeks ago. Its hard to believe this season is almost over. Seems I blinked my eyes and the gardens went from tulips to asters in a week.

Chelone, Oooooo noooooo!!!! Skunked??!!!! So sorry, what a pain in the patootie. Rahjii was sprayed last fall and really got nailed right in the face. At least a dog is used to having a bath. It was a bear to get the cat cleaned up. That de-skunk stuff does work pretty well though. Im curious as to how you expressed your opinion about the door being left open to your helpmeet? LOL So, no lime green panties? Te he.

Kathy, what a lovely office space! It looks like your walls are the same color as Eden and Bellas room. ~~ "My kitchen is very small , and needs a re-do but I fear it is not in the budget at this time." Me too we were supposed to renovate the kitchen when we did our addition in 2000 but ran out of $$$ and now Im refusing to borrow money to do it. I want to save up to fix it and thats taking time. Hopefully one of these years well be able to re do it.

Yea, Denise is back! How cool is that you have a 1970 VW bus? We had one for years and put one new engine in it but it finally rusted beyond repair. One of the problems with living in this clime is the salt on the roads in winter. ~~ Please email me with address and invoice so I can pay for my wonderful San. Here is a pic of the pot I found for it

{{gwi:175141}}

Eden, I just love the room and what efficient use of the space you have! Perfect! I especially love all those built in book cases and the plant shelves on the window sills.

Wendy, I ROTFLOL over your being happy not to be the person to do the "fatal flush". You really are too funny. So you think there are gremlins in the sewer system? Could it be crocodiles? ~~ First day of school was here yesterday. It does seem strange for them to be starting school before Labor Day.

OK so whats blooming in your gardens right now? How about we share some pics of our late season highlights?

Have a great day
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I love all the inspired home decorating - wish my place looked like that!! Maybe this weekend, some attempt can be made....LOL or not.

I've been somewhat tied up w/ Alpha Dog attempts by the visiting black cocker taking over the House of Chloe. My friend returned to SC to try to evict the Snake and get some other things under legal control. So I've been dog-sitting and attempting to get us into a routine of sorts, but experience new delights every day w/ gate jumping, hygiene decorating, etc. Visiting friend Biscuit decided after about 4 days she was comfortable enuf to start testing my limits - so Im not sure who's ruling the roost at present.... tiring but not boring. Maybe I should have been reviewing more of the dog xperts advice here.... Poor Chloe is very depressed by the whole situation.

Things are also terribly hectic at the ofc as well as estate issues re Mom, so I find I've had little time to relax and idyll.

Im sorry I missed your birthday, V -- I even took a photo last nite especially but havent downloaded yet -- hopefully tonite.

On the family front, it appears my Dad may now need a hip replacement -- aaargh... Im sure he's not enthused and selfishly neither am I... he sees a specialist next week to get a prognosis. ifen it's not one thing, it's another, right?

Chelone - I meant to tell you I loved the list of conifers you bought at your nursery last week -- I am very fond of them and look forward to seeing your specimens once they're in their homes! Can't wait. Sounds like things are rolling (pun intended, ?) along on the painting and other acts relating to garage completion?

EEEuuuu, skunked - had a dog experience w/ that once -- never to be forgotten.

I just love those pics of your room, Kathy, and yours Eden - what wonderful, compact, Organized spaces. My place is in such disarray from visitors, personal mess, and other relative storage -- I really hope to do some sorting this weekend -- along with finally getting back into the gardens to do some real work. I've had a bunch of daylily orders sitting to be planted for 3 weeks now....

Deanne - I love that new pot for the San - I can't believe you guys & the # of pots - I find it hard to believe you only have 100!!!!

Well, just wanted to pop in & say hi - Im following along when I can.

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Mornin'!

Well I've not had a chance to even check out my gardens in over a week. I'm hoping to do so in a day or so because DD wants to learn about late blooming plants that are over 24" tall. She's already spotted 3 hostas she likes here.

Yesterday we all went shopping and got haircuts and bought birthday gifts fort our friend's 61st birthday. Drove to Toronto to celebrate and swim in their pool. Everyone is happy but tired. Only 3 more days with DSIL and DGS before they head off to Manitoba for business and a visit with friends. DD stays here with Reed and the dog for another week before joining DSIL there.

You know, being a grandmother would be even harder work if DSIL wasn't such a great cook and so full of fun! :)

I wouldn't dare post a photo of my computer area these days. I wanted to post my perfect anti skunk scent formula once more, but no time to type it out. Perhaps later tonight. Yes, Charlotte really needed it once. Fortunately ONLY once.

Last night before bed time baby Reed learned that an ear piercing scream gets attention!

{{gwi:174202}}

Off to start the day. May yours be a very happy one.
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Mornin Folks, here I am with an uncharacteristic AM (pacific time!) post.It's going to be near triple digits today here-and sounds like similar action down Denises way too. I'm watering away already.
    LOL Chelone, bathroom air freshener. And by the way, I concur with Cindy on your plant list, I just love conifers , though I have very few, all dwarfs. My BILs have a wonderful collection on the terraced garden in the front of thier house, I'll have to take a pic of it while I'm up there later this week. What if you planted really tall annuals in between them as a temporary summer tourist screen while they are attaining size ? Like Castor bean , sunflowers and the like ? How sad re: EP.

What a great pot Deanne ! My Nora Leigh is done for for the year, In fact I started deadheading her last weekend. Shes becoming engulfed by marauding asters.

Hi Cindy, poor Chloe being displaced by that upstart visitor. Glad your friend is taking some action, I hope all goes well for her..Of course I tidied up the desk before taking a pic ! You wouldn't want to look in the drawers.

Cute baby shot 'bug (as usual!)...

OK , gotta start trip prep. I'll check in later..
    Kathy in Napa