Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll #330 Bone dry and tough as nails!

Posted by woodyoak (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 15:44

I was just adding up rainfall from April to the end of July and comparing it to last year. We had pretty ideal rain conditions most of last year. So far this year we are 6.6 inches behind last year's rainfall! And that doesn't include the effect of having quite a dry winter too. It's a wonder anything is still alive out there....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll #330 Bone dry and tough as nails!

Woody, we have been pretty dry here too. Most things are surviving, but just that. I try not to do much supplemental watering on established beds, but I have done a bit this year.

'bug, I checked out that link - the gravel pits are terrible, worse than I suspected.

Deanne, I'm in for Sunday - I'll make a spinach/feta dip. Chelone, I'd love to see you if you can make it (can you feel me twisting your arm ever-so-gently?!)

Dinner is served, must run!

-Wendy

o

Today is moving day for my parents. My siblings have come from out of state to help and its raining! We have had 5.25" overnight and its supposed to be a rainy day. Good grief, first we are in a drought and now this crazy weather.

Michelle

o

Oh no! A rainy moving day! Who would have guessed? I hope it comes my way...but just at night time! With the grandkids arriving here Monday, I'd love to have today's sunny cool weather. Today the hose is once more turned on....I hope the move goes smoothly Michelle! My Dad in particular had a tough time moving in his later years, but Mom continued to love organizing their possessions and making her home attractive.

I'm off soon to get my hair cut, then lots of errands like buying a new hose extension, new bathroom light fixtures, maybe even a tree to honour a friend who passed away. The house really needs lots of work (so does the garden, and you know where I prefer to spend my hours!) and the driveway guy is supposed to show up and level the area before spreading sand and gravel on Monday. I believe it is about 240 yards from our bridge to the road, so that's quite a lot of material needed. I also need to sweep out the barn a good deal before I allow Skyler in there to use the swing. Lots of evidence of raccoons there!

Enjoy this beautiful weekend!
'bug

o

Hello! We're back from a short but lovely vacation. Overall the weather was nice - cooler, with one rainy day, but if it doesn't rain one day, you never feel like getting in the car and going shopping. So what did I bring home from my summer vacation? Two pots, of course! Someone once asked me where I get all my nice containers, and I've decided the answer is that you are always looking, no matter where you go. We went to Canadian Tire for some repair supplies, and while there was not much left in their garden department, there were a couple of minor things we couldn't get there (potholders - I wasn't going to pay $5.00 each for "designer" potholders to leave up at the cabin!). So we headed to my least favorite store that starts with a W, and there was this lovely blue-glazed pot for only $14.95. But when I checked out, it was on sale for 30% off! Can't beat that with a stick!

Then on our rainy day, we stopped at a little store called the Woodshed that was having a retirement sale. The sale had been going for about a week and things were pretty picked over, but DD found some cute tea mugs. While she was paying, I took another look around and spotted a round terra cotta pot with a basketweave design around it for only $8! So the dogs had to share the back of the car with my litte nest of pots.

We had one spot of excitement on Thursday. Our big job for the day was to pull the pontoon boat out of the lake and secure it for the winter. We were in the middle of this when a helicopter flew over quite low, and then circled several times right over our heads. Then a second copter showed up. At this point, I was getting quite nervous but we were in the middle of things that couldn't be easily dropped. Later, we found out from the neighbors that a large dead spruce tree (still well-covered in dried needles) had toppled onto the power lines and caught fire! Fortunately, it was spotted quickly and put out before the wind could spread it any further. Also, it's been an average year for rainfall there so the fire risk was fairly low. The neighbors all lost power, but since we've never put electric into our cabin, we weren't inconvenienced.

Lots of reading was accomplished, we did a large jigsaw puzzle, and generally we did a lot of relaxing. I actually woke up before the alarm this morning because I was well-rested. A successful vacation!

Giant piles of laundry are now calling my name, so I think I'm going to run for now.

V.

o

Good sunny morning everyone!

Its just beautiful out today with clear blue skies and temps supposed to only get to the low 70s. This is September weather! Its also really windy. The gardens and yard were all cleaned up but with this wind Ill be on clean up crew again today. We had a line of T storms pass through last night but no significant rain here so Ill be dragging the hoses around again today. ~~ The last couple weeks weve had a juvenile Red-tailed hawk flying around screaming for its parents. Every year this pair nests in the area and if they are successful we have the juvenile birds screaming overhead for a couple weeks. It hasnt figured out that it needs to migrate yet.

I finally got rid of the grass from the end of the container garden over to the small perennial bed next to the fence! Woohoo! It took me four hours to dig out the edge, shake out the sods then lay down the cardboard on the remaining grass then spread a yard of bark mulch. Im really pleased with how it turned out. So now I have 40 containers in that garden! Here are some pics of the expanded garden.

After it was all done and Id move the plants around I thought to myself, "Wouldnt it be nice if we put some pavers in that circle and put a small fountain there." LOL Doug shocked the heck out of me because he thinks thats a great idea too and even looked at a few fountains with me yesterday. There always seems to be a new project.

I just cant get over the brugmansias this year. They are enormous and producing lots of lovely flowers. Thanks to Sue Ive finally realized they need to be in humungous pots to gain size. The challenge will be getting them back in the basement for the winters.

Im in love with this Charles Grimaldi

This is the calla I got on sale at Parks a month ago. They really are such a pretty color combination.

I also found the perfect pot for the Sansevieria cylindrical yesterday. Its a lovely oval terra cotta pot with a swirled design on it. It also had the added bonus of having been around for a while so its nicely aged with a great patina of algae etc. on it. Ill have to grab a pic of it today.

Sue, so now its Lyme?! Good grief! I surely hope you are feeling 100% soon. I so know what you mean about this summer just flying by.

Woody your new bed is looking great. What a big job! I love that butterfly bush also but I lost mine last winter. I only have one left, the Pink Delight in the driveway garden.

Martie, wow, its hard to believe you were here a year ago! It seems like only a few weeks have gone by. Ive been meaning to tell you that the Jean Pasco brug you sent me is doing really well now and is finally setting some buds so Ill have flowers from it this year. I planted it right into the garden and its been growing really well in that spot.

Honey, I so know how you are feeling RE your DD as we are going through our own version of child makes bad decisions and the aftermath thereof. Its beyond heartbreaking. Know you have my empathy and support. You arent whining, just venting. ~~ Crossing my fingers for Tom.

Babs, that other fuchsia was probably Beacon ~~ I cant believe you are dealing with construction vehicles at 7:00AM on a Saturday.

Bug, so are you ready for your company? ~~ Love that hummer picture in the last thread.

V, sounds like you had a restful vacation and a great find on those pots. I know what you mean about always looking. Id gone to the farm stand to buy some local corn and there was that fabu oval terra cotta that was calling out to me.

Michelle, thats unreal about the rain after having such a dry summer youre now dealing with a deluge when trying to move stuff. Good grief!

Wendy. Im really looking forward to seeing you. Is your family coming too??? They are most welcome. Well probably have some BBQd chicken and corn on the cob mid afternoon (after enjoying your spinach dip) I sure hope Saucy and Chelone can come too. How about 1:00PM ish? Maybe we can run over to The Mixed Border and see if there is anything on sale. LOL

OK time to run. Must get to the watering. Have a great day everyone.
Deanne.

o

Oh yes Deanne that IS Beacon thanks for refreshing my memory-I will label that one right away. Yep,construction machinery at 7am again today-I do chuckle a little because school starts this week and they haven't even poured the concrete yet for the new car drop off-I think they have to let the finished product cure once it's poured. I'm waiting for them to be working at night next.yeesh.

Your container garden is wonderful!!! That huge Charles G. is stunning! I love the callas too with the speckled leaves!...everything looks perfect. I expect to see a fountain there by fall ; ) That really is a great idea to have the mulched bed for the containers-such a clean look. Will you bring your plectranthus indoors to overwinter? I'm not sure if it's best to pot mine up or keep cuttings in water...I'll try both.

OH did I have fun yesterday-OK it wasn't plant shopping but I did a major clothes shopping and hit a great sale at Macy's. I'm talking items that were over 75% off. I found capri's,dress slacks,tee's,and a couple blouses so now I'm looking a little more forward to school starting lol.

Michelle rain on moving day means good luck ; )

T-I hope those little guys are faring well by now.

Marian does dorky guy know that he's dorky? lol

Lots of excitement here as my niece applied for a position at Aj & Ryan's school for a general music position. She was surprised to be offered the position since she's actually specialized for instrumental music BUT the school she really wants to be at also called her for an interview on Mon. and the principal there thinks she's a shoe-in. It would be fun for the boys to have their cousin teaching them! We haven't told anyone on faculty that she's my niece yet. Things are suspenseful here!

If you remember our shool had turmoil with many teachers leaving due to the principal and Aj's class merging with another grade due to its small size(5 kids)but anyway,I talked to the 8th grade teacher and they are really making strides to foster Aj's potential and will include him in 7th grade reading & math(he's in 6th). I'm glad we stuck by and didn't put him in another school;I think he'll have an excellent year. In a large school he wouldn't be getting this treatment.

Gotta dash-need to replace a zipper on a friend's pants...

~babs-being asphyxiated by diesel exhaust...hack,hack.

o

I'm puttin' one foot in front of the other and kicking Wrecks when I'm overcome with frustration. I'm still not thinking humankind is worth my involvement, but have managed to muster a modicum of courtesty when I've had to. ;)

Am farther behind than ever with the reading assignment, but noted that Babs. will be nattily attired when she goes back to school... why aren't you wearing those neat, white uniforms with the caps, and the shoes with the cut outs for your big toe... Nurse Ratchett is goin' stealth, methinks.

I have not put any pictures on the computer since the Idyllunion. I have never put any of the picture files on CDs (didn't have a burner until several months ago) and have a date with a "guru" friend who is going to "splain" it to me. So garage shots will have to wait.

It's framed, roofed, and the floor is in place. It's in the process of being sided now. We now have to coordinate the electrician and the excavator to get the utilities buried to the house. The wiring is next up. And then we want to get the driveway resited and the surface brought up to a nice gravel level. I have 3 "man doors" to paint and will start that on Monday. I think Woody will like the color... a deeper variant of the present greyed tourquoise on the front door.

I've been working through my misathropic feelings by weeding. Tomorrow I will work on the bed out back, tending to some much needed rescue for plant material being overwhelmed by "neighbors". I mowed the lawn today and ran over a tree frog... . Too bad it wasn't a NH adminstrator. Woody, I share your feelings with respect to RNs. And I'm shocked at the level of obesity in NH staffers.

Dinner is served and I'm hungry. Maybe I'll try back later, maybe not. But I'm here, I'm still kickin', and it will all filter out... sooner or later.

o

Good morning everyone,

We are going to have another cool and dry day here with a few clouds, perfect for gardening. Doug and I are going to move the rock wall next to the shed and I'm thinking of making a shrub border on the right side of the back yard at the same time. Lots of work but this is a perfect week for it because the weather is supposed to be like this all week.

Babs, I just take cuttings of all the plectranthus. The only one I bring in is my 'Troy's Gold' which is four years old now. A really pretty chartreuse one.

OK I'm goign to get going and get the watering done then start my rock project.

I hope all the folks on vacation are having a great time.

Have a great day all,
Deanne

o

free glitter - http://www.sparklee.com

Glitter Text Generator

Deanne-Your container garden gets more beautiful each time you post pictures. Where do you put all those plants in the winter?

The cow photo's I posted are from my sister's farm in northern PA. I have 2 sisters and a brother. We are going up to visit them over Labor Day weekend.

I ordered about 2 weeks worth of food for my sister, who lives in AZ. She is having her surgery on Wednesday. She's been calling me every day. Sometimes I tell my DH to say I'm not home. Then I feel guilty. She takes pain meds., for her MS, and she overdoes it. When she calls her words are slurred and she can't remember what we talked about previously. I've pretty much lost patience with her. Last week I finally discussed her drug use. She's been in complete denial.

Chelone-I really feel for you regarding your mom. I've always felt that nurses who burn out go to work in Nursing Homes. Whenever a nurse or Dr. talk down to me I let them know that I'm a Respiratory Therapist. Their tone and demeanor change drastically. I don't want to get started on this country's treatment of the elderly.

Marian-I'm glad your chin lesions are getting better. You must have been in a lot of discomfort. I enjoyed your kitty pics. I don't have any pets because my DH is allergic to them. I have gone to our local animal shelter to feed treats to the cats and dogs.

My DD's cat 'Bella'-This kitty sits up like a Mircat to beg for food. She also propels herself off the walls.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sue-When I had Lyme the antibiotics made me nauseous. I hope you are feeling better.

I've been suffering from IBS recently. Haven't had a flare up in quit a while. I know it's due to stress.

Next Saturday is Customer Appreciation Day at Well-Sweep Herb Farm. My DH and I are going for free lunch and discounted plants. I have my list ready....

The last 2 mornings the temp. was 60. Crazy weather these days.

Take care everyone,
Mariann

o

I've been weeding and watering some more, answering old emails and helping DH with a crisis. I'm beat. Need to deal with shopping for the arrival of our gang tomorrow. Still so soo sooo SOOOO dry here.

Are people partying with Deanne today? I hope so! Enjoy your time together. I'll be thinking of you!

'bug

o

'Bug I hope you get some of this rain I'm getting-I think the east coasters will. It's a pretty steady rain...where the heck was this when it was still summer? Weird how we can be in a drought then a couple deluges later we're above ave. for rain. We have flood watches here through tomorrow. Man,it's cool too-58F.

Chelone-no white uniform,thankfully. Just a white lab coat(which I naturally made myself because the store bought ones were ugly: ) and my 'official' name tag. Many times I don't wear the coat because it gets pretty stifling hot-no A/C.
Sorry about that tree frog : (

Galium-that's so sad that you have to screen calls from your sister. Sometimes we can only take so much even from our siblings. I think it's good that you did find a way to help by ordering food for her-that's constructive at least.

Ooops I realized when I posted about Chris I was writing GIRD wrong-it's actually GERD(gastroesophageal reflux disease)no one probably even noticed : ) now you have lol. BTW all is well with his test results so he's pretty happy.Me too.

Well I need to catch up on laundry-pretty humdrum afternoon. I hope the rain breaks so I can grill BBQ pork chops.

One more thing(always)-I acquired a three foot glazed ceramic drain pipe that was going to be sent to the dumpster up at school the other day. Our custodian was glad to give it to me. I'm using it to disply a basket planter but when I finish that bowling(gazing)ball it'll work great for a stand. Don't you love trash? : )

Where has the day gone-better haul dirty clothes...

~Babs

o

In today's garden...phlox and hydrangea.

Hope you enjoyed the out of doors too!

Gnite!
'bug

o

Although you should always be careful what you ask for, I am thinking that bone dry would not be too bad right about now. We've had almost non-stop rain since midday yesterday, and it's supposed to clear by Saturday. Yikes. Lots of flood watches/warnings are posted.

Back to work tomorrow, and it should be a busy week. Right now, I have to go figure out why my alarm clock is failing to alarm. I know I will not voluntarily wake up at 5:00 am tomorrow.

Gnite x 2,

V.

o

Hello, hello to everyone ! I m returned from the wilds of Las Vegas ,and just dropping in quickly, I will try to do a more comprehensive post on the morrow. First , how interesting that Woody made drought the theme of Idyll 330 ..Below is a link to a column that ran in our local newspaper yesterday morning. You will note a discreet reference to my Idyll friends !
And, sadly DS and I had to have our friend Boo-Boo Kitty put down this afternoon. He has been ailing for awhile and went into a serious decline in the last few days. My son stayed with him as he made his journey to kitty heaven. Boo-Boo was 17 years old . The office lady at the vet thanked us for providing him with a loving home for so many years. What a nice sentiment .. DS is 22 so Boo-Boo has been part of his life since he was very little. I spent the afternoon in the garden with my other two kitties, Doobie and Ted.

Ok, enough said ..a pleasant Sunday eve to all.
Kathy in Napa

Boo-Boo Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: Napa Register -Drought

o

Good Monday Morning. Another family party has come and gone and though there were 45 of us, there was food for a small nation. Anyone need lunch today??? I'll cyber it out to you :-)

We got nailed with a rather strong line of thunderstorms on Friday night but it brought very welcome rain, too. Read Kathy's link with interest and am proud to say that we adhere to most of the recommendations except for the lawn. That's Rich's garden and since he recognizes grass as a plant, I let it go. LOL

Sue -- Glad you FINALLY have a diagnosis and part of me wonders if your shingles weren't part of a Lyme rash. You'll feel better fast, but be careful about thinking you're better than you really are given how lousy you've felt. Offer of help stands firm.

Chelone -- It's Not You that created the NH mess but it may be you that brings about change! I heartily agree with following the link provided and to start making some noise. It's a catharsis to affect change in the care of those you love; something that offers a bit of "good" in the midst of "really bad."

On that note, the State of Connecticut issued it's own internal audit of the largest public hospital for mental health in the state. The results are dismal, and from all indications it's the ONLY place that will be appropriate for my brother down the road. There is no choice other than jail. Staff is burned out, the physical facility is in dire need of upgrading, because addiction services and mental illness services are lumped together the focus has been on immediate mandatory care (three-days) to detox people rather than provide meaningful long-term care. Those without addiction are relegated to the end of the line for treatment and I'm damn glad that I'm involved as I see what happens to people whose families are absent. Am I mad????? Of course!!! Am I doing something about it???? Yes!!! Will my individual efforts help???? Only time will tell, but I'm loud and aggressive and despite my brother's illness and my brother himself being a total jerk sometimes, he's a human, too. It just feels better to be active on a large scale.

The other thing that just gets my goat to the core (as it always has) is that it takes a tragedy to bring public attention to the woeful care that so many receive. Having been involved for a long, long time, I don't see it as disinterest, but certain lack of money and fortitude in the political arena.

SHAKE'M UP, EVERYONE!!! We're a smart bunch of people with huge hearts and healthy minds and we're darn lucky to be able to fight back.

And more stunningly sad news: A good friend who was a neighbor for 15 years at my "old" house is in the hospital with advanced cancer. His wife is one of my very best friends and doesn't want me to make the trek to Florida until after he passes, which is inevitable. Keep them in your thoughts, please.

And now for some better, lighter and happier news. DsD and DSiL explained over the weekend that one reason for buying their own home last week was because they see themselves as parents and will be doing "whatever we can" to make Rich and I grandparents, soon!! I almost wish they hadn't said anything, as I think Rich will have them keep a log to be sure they are true to their word about "trying hard." LOL Anyway, it's exciting.

Also realized on Saturday that I'm a great aunt to three young ladies age 10 - 14. I'm the only one they have, and there are Responsibilities IMHO!! Birthdays are on the calendar! Great Aunts Unite!!

Will end this all about me being grateful that I'm upright and talking and as coherent as one can be in the middle of Coffee II for the day :-)

Best to everyone...

Martie

o

Overheard this am: " Missy, you are a dog. And dogs DO go outside when it is raining!"
I guess shes just a fair weather gal!

The individual session with the dog trainer Thurs. went great. He was telling me about a litter of Aussies in Canada that had to be put down b/c they were mean and aggressive due to too much in-breeding. He wanted to check Missy out to see if it was a problem. Its definitely not. Shes just full of puppyness. I need to be more assertive and firm with her. Shes responding much better to the new techniques. I also think her being more mature by the day is helping. However, today with all the rain, we had more than the usual share of housetraining mishaps. Clorox spray cleaner and paper towels have become my new best friends. Thank goodness, we have her restricted to hard, easy-to-clean-up surfaces.

The Invisible Fence people just left from another training session and Missy is really doing well on that. We were able to get the session in despite the back yard being flooded from this ams monsoon. Its now pouring out again.

Martie, when I saw your new ID I didnt recognize who was posting until I saw your sign off. Good to see you posting again. I was surprised when I saw your post about wanting a dog. Id only recommend getting a puppy if you have LOTS of time to spend training one. Missy has taken over our lives! It was easier training our other dog b/c he was more mature when we got him (4 mos) and we had a fenced in yard. Missy is still only 3 mos. old.

Oh, Im so sorry to hear about the mental health services in CT. Its not much better here. I truly believe that there arent more $ allocated b/c it is so expensive, cant be cured with a quick fix. And there is still a stigma attached to even getting family counseling! I know some people here dont get the help they need b/c theyre afraid theyll lose their job if their employer finds out. Its awful. Good for you that youre making noise about it. Oh, and I just read about your friend with Cancer. Im so sorry. (((((Martie))))).

Thank you, Woody, for the book recommendation. No, I havent read either but I will definitely. We have been watching the "Dog Whisperer" on TV (on the Natl Geographic channel). He gives such wonderful tips about being calm, assertive. Ive realized that Ive been preoccupied with other stuff going on here and was not clearing my head before working with Missy.

Your brick project is really coming along. I was wondering, did you put a layer of sand underneath to help with the leveling/settling? You, girl, just blow me away with all you accomplish! And fresh pastry, too. You are one amazing woman.

Marian, cute pix of the kitties. Dorky Dude really doesnt have much white on him, does he? I wonder if someone dumped him b/c hes black. I was surprised when the gal at the pet store told me they have a hard time getting black kitties adopted. I love the pic of Tommy starting something. Your watering rig is quite inventive. Good for you. It was far too hot to be standing out there with a hose. Im so glad that heat wave has past here, although its supposed to be 90 later this week. Im enjoying todays 60s. It seems like fall in the air already.

Sue, Ill bet youre glad to at least know what the problem is. I hope there are no lasting effects. You've really had a time of it this year. Hope you're feeling better soon!

GB, your pix are fabu. Keep em coming.

V, welcome back. It sounds like an absolutely perfect, relaxing vacation! Did you take Mystic with you?

Deanne, youre amazing! Your new container area looks fabu. What a lot of work you put into it, tho. My Charles Grimaldi is blooming, too. It has 5 blossoms on it and it perfumes the whole back yard. It smells so fresh, like soap. Yours is gorgeous! Thanks, re DD. I was thinking this am that our family/kid stuff is so similar. The one positive note, is that this weekend DD applied for a 2nd job as a shift mgr. for a nearby fast-food joint. Thats a great sign. I hope she gets the job and then sticks to it. DH and I are scratchers, meaning when adversity strikes, we dig in and do what it takes. So far DD hasnt done that. Perhaps shes turned the corner? Well see. But thanks for your support on the DH job front. He had an important mtg. this pm. It seems like theres a worry every day with this job. I dont know how the kids today live with such insecurity.

OK, thats all my pea-pickin brain can remember. Hope all is well in your world. DD is coming over for dinner again tonite and is crushed again by stuff she found out today. So itll be a tough nite. Hmmmm, wonder what we having for dinner?

Honey

o

This is so beautiful! I want to share it with all of you...
Ray Bethell, 8-time-Multiple Kite World Champion .
He is 79 years old, and this is an absolutely stunning film.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kites

o

The crawfish are living in my driveway again.

Maybe I should start charging them rent? I could become a crawfish slumlord?

The good news is that the rain is starting to diminish. But I think things will stay on the soggy side for quite a while.

Honey, we took both Mystic and Sunrise with us on the trip. Since we downsized to the smaller Mariner, we bought cartop luggage so that the dogs could have the whole cargo area to themselves. They were cozy but comfortable. They got lots of attention when we made "pit stops".

First day back at the office after vacation, and the network server was so happy to see me, it blew a motherboard. I think you are all computer-savvy enough to know that means I did NOT have a good day back at work. But it is now fixed (thanks to fast-response techies, not me) and tomorrow will be a better day.

V.

o

I have reached the ranting stage!!!! If I buy one single plant, ever again, that I have to water through another Arkansas summer, I hope someone will commit me to a mental institution! After the lovely rainy July, we are now in drought! I am not even able to keep the interior of our house presentable...so how in the world did I think I could spend another summer dragging around a hose to water all the stuff I am trying to grow !!!! I am mad as h... and feel like throwing everything in the compost pile ( if I had strength enough to do it ! ). I need to eliminate everything except drought hardy shrubs. Growing perennials that survive such conditions would not work, because they would drown out in the wet seasons. This happens almost every single year. I HATE the summers here, and always feel as though I have died and went the wrong direction! Not only is it the heat and humidity, and the dry spells, it is the incessant barrage of biting insects. It's bad enough that they are outside...they even get into the house! RANT...Rant ...Rant.... I think I have gone completely crazy!!!!!!

But then...after reading all the woes with institutions, I'd better try diligently to retain my sanity! Jig saw puzzles aren't helping, neither are online games of solitaire! I need HELP !!!!

o

Well, I didnt win any money in Vegas, but I kept most of what I came with so I guess that can be considered a successful trip.We surely ate well though-gone are the olden days of the chewy 6.99 Prime Rib Buffets .They still are there, though twice the price but many other choices abound. I was pooped when I got home- trade shows can be exausting anyway, and going to bed at 9:30 just doesnt work well in Las Vegas. Temps were 107ish daytime and 90 ish at night. I had 93 e-mails at the office this morning. Jeesh.
Babs, great photo you posted of your boys on vaca. A very attractive and jolly bunch-is the pic black and white by design ? I love B&W photography. One of these days I m going to go have my kids get a portrait together in B&W.

bug, how beautiful your sunrise pic was on the last thread ! I hope you are enjoying your family visit ! I was explaining to some of my co-workers about the diaper-free life..there were many looks of disbelief one of them is the father twin girls who apparently had very healthy elimination systems. He just could not quite envision it. I love the idea for those who can do it.

Wendy, good for you that DH is willing to consider beds instead of lawn in your former play structure area. What is it about guys and lawns anyway ?

Deanne, your container garden just gets better all the time. Im still in shock at the size of your Brugs..Up in Portland they have planted them in the center of beds near the Rose test garden in Washington Park. They put them directly into the ground, and then they dig them up in fall, prune the roots and move them to a greenhouse for the winter. When temps warm up again they pop em back into the soil. Ill bet its a bear to dig those things out.

Marian, nice action shots of the Dorky Dude ! The pic I posted for Brenda was Yosemite Nat Park, taken by DS when he went last spring with a friend. He came home with a boatload of photos.

Chelone, I hope things settle down a bit for you and bro sooner than later. How frustrating to feel powerless against a bureaucratic brick wall-kind of like bugs gravel pit. One can only imagine how many others find themselves in similar situations.

Martie, Im sorry to hear of your friends impending loss. I hope that he is able to spend what remains of his time here with some dignity , and adequate pain management.

Honey, I feel certain that the time and effort you are investing in Missys training will yield results that will serve you well for many years. So many people just dont bother, and then wonder why the pet is incorrigible. When by BILS lived out in the boonies of Mendocino County, they had neighbors wit an invisible fence for two very large German Shepherds . I was always amazed by the total control it provided.

OK, I know Ive missed a few , but the heat has worn off so I think Ill take a turn aroind the garden before I do the dishes. Tomorrow the stump-remover guys come to grind out the long hated Liquidambar stump. Yipee.. another planting area is born !

Hang in there Marian Unlike death and taxes, weather is temporary !

Kathy in Napa

o

Where have all the Idyllers gone? Unusually quiet here on the forum so you all must be as busy as I've been. We've had lots of rain the last couple of days. For that I'm very grateful. I've had a Bella break for the last few days and have been frantically cleaning, gardening and completing projects. The pavers are finished and I've finally finished painting the bed and also gave a new coat of paint to Bella's little table and chairs. It's cooling down so now I can start the plant shuffling in the garden too. Jen and I went to the cooking with herbs talk at Sunshine Herb Farm on Sat. and she got lots of ideas for using her herbs. That was a fun time. My mom is doing well after her last chemo treatment and has another one coming up next week. Brad's busy working 12 hr. days this week. Life is good here.

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. It's so hard to lose a furry family member that's been a loyal companion for so long. I know you and your ds will miss him alot!

V, I've been seeing on the news how much rain you all have been getting south of us. Glad you had a nice vacation.

Deanne, the container garden is a thing of beauty. Unbelievable really! Can't wait to see what you do with the new shrub border and what shrubs you choose to include!

Babs, great score on the pipe. I just love finding unique things that I can use around here too. You've had a lot of rain too? Thanks for the offer on the clero cutting. I may just take you up on it. I've about given up on mine. No blooms on the cutting I took from it either:(

Marie, I haven't had a chance to look at your link but will when I'm done here. Bet you're having a wonderful morning about now with the family there.

Honey, great that the brugs are blooming for you. You'll love that double white when it finally does bloom. Glad to hear things are getting better with Missy. Thinking of you, Tom and dd and hoping that all gets straightened out soon.

Hi to everyone else. Brad goes in to work soon so if I want to see and talk to him at all today nows the time. Hope you are all able to find some joy in your day:) It's there if you look for it!

Eden

o

Good morning.

I skim everything too fast and wondered what Eden was referring to about Kathy's kitty. I had to go back and find the pic and post. Kathy....always a difficult thing to have a pet's life end, but 17 years with one....there are a lot of memories tied to our hearts. Boo Boo kitty was pretty lucky to have a family love him for 17 years.

We've been having rain for a few days. Nothing like what poor V and her area are experiencing, of course, but nice steady light rain and warm temps. Great for growing zucchini. ;o) I've got a monster plant growing in my front flowerbed. I bought it on a whim when I bought a couple tomato plants. Have visions of making zucchini bread like I did when my kids were little (and I baked, LOL). I've got 2 good sized fruits off of the plant so far, so time to begin grating & baking I guess. :oP

Twins here today and tomorrow so that is my life.

Babs, never did say how much I enjoyed the photo of your 3 guys! It seems like the summer went by too quickly. I hope the work across the street is over now. The constant noise would drive me up the wall...

((Honey)) You've been on my mind often....as has Deanne...worrying about our kids is tough when they are little and a bit more heartbreaking (for me anyway) when they are older and all we can do is be supportive.

Deanne!!! The extension on your container garden is fabulous!!!!! I would plunk me down a comfortable chair and just gaze upon the beauty if it were in my yard. Beautiful!

'bug is busy playing with g'kids......it is amazing how fast we can fall in love with the little ones that come into our lives.

Chelone, I was wondering if the nursing home doesn't change it's ways.......is there an option of a secure group home near you or your brother? A home where there are only 5 or 6 elderly living there with a small intimate staff? There are quite a few homes, in this area, where the elderly can be taken care of in a smaller, more intimate, setting -- more of a home feel and the residents are taken care of more as family members instead of just bodies in a bed. I do not know what the cost is when compared to a nursing home situation...but they sure seem to be a better alternative when the resident cannot be proactive about their needs. I hope a solution is found soon so that your mother gets the care and consideration she deserves.

Well.....my coffee cup is empty (not a good thing).....I hope Michelle's parents' move went well (rotten about the rain on moving day!) and that Sue is doing well.......that Mary is having a wonderful time.......

and that is it for this time---I 'need' my coffee!! ;o) :oD

T.

o

Good grief we go from drought conditions to flash flood warnings. We have had over 8" of rain since Friday night with more predicted nearly every day this week. The good thing is that it stayed overcast and didnt do anything more than sprinkle on the moving day. You wouldnt believe how much stuff my parents had. 40 years and I doubt that they ever threw much away. My mom hadnt packed anything either. They figured that we would just come and move the furniture. We knew that we had to help with the rest or they may never get done. We worked all day with 11 adults and only got the main and 2nd floors totally cleared out. The basement and garage still remain. They have a lot to go through and hopefully donate.

Kathy, Im sure saying goodbye to Boo Boo kitty was tough after living together for 17 years.

I have a cat to give away! LOL George decided to spend some time lounging yesterday in my built in planter on the patio. It had looked very lovely before, but not anymore. Shes a black cat as well.

Eden, I was just wondering the other day if I had missed the picture of your bed. Please be sure to post one.

Deanne, your container area is just amazing! I wish I could be there in person to see whats in each of those containers.

V, your vacation sounds very relaxing. I need one of those now. Things have been pretty hectic at work and personally lately. We leave Thursday for a much-needed vacation. Just curious do you have a generator or really rough it?

Honey, I hope that your DD can get things figured out. Once a parent, always a parent. We have been through our share of those type of problems too.

Martie, how fun to think about becoming a grandparent. I can assure you that it is fun.

The kite video is really something. I cant imagine the coordination that would take.

That's all for now, I need to get some work done before I leave for vacation.

Michelle

o

Wow, all those cupboards under the new bed are FANTASTIC storage! And all in previously wasted space. I put games in two sections, one for kids and one for adult games, photos in another, a couple of boxes of old garden catalogs I can't seem to part with in another, and I still have a couple of empty sections. When you live in a small house like I do, shelves, cupboards, etc. are essential and something to get excited about, lol. Now I must go mattress shopping this week. Not fun! I've already purchased a new comforter that I found at Target 1/2 off. Still have to address the window treatments too. Then I'll take some pictures for you all to see.

Marie, the kite video was amazing. I especially like the end when he was landing the kites. Brad and I used to go out kite flying when we were dating. Sometimes I wonder if we'll every have time to do stuff just for fun like that again? Life seems so busy these days.

Michelle, I can just imagine what moving your parents was like. Mine's house is much the same. They've saved everything it seems and they have a big house. I didn't inherit the saving gene. If I don't use it I get rid of it. Comes from living in a small house I guess. But the older I get the less clutter I can tolerate. Where are you guys going for your vacation?

T, zucchini bread sounds good. I don't bake like I used to either. Without the kids around to eat it, Brad and I do and we don't need it. Have fun with the boys. I haven't seen Bella since Friday and as much as I've enjoyed getting some things done I miss her. Little ones sure do bring life to the house don't they?

I guess it's true what they say about the bigger your kids are the bigger their problems. I think it's the rare parent who doesn't go through some crisis with their adult children. It's hard because we can't fix the adult problems like we could when they were little.

Deanne, waiting to hear a list of what shrubs you're choosing. There are so many neat choices out there these days.

Back to work for me. I've got laundry, the every present vacuuming and best of all the bathroom to scrub up today. Bella returns tomorrow.

Eden

o

Well, bad news folks. DH was told his job will end sometime between now and Dec. 31. Instead of keeping DH and his partner on, theyve decided to keep the work theyre doing but will hire an engineer in China (for $200/mo) to do it. They fired all the engineers in India and are now hiring the Chinese. Oh well. Guess well be sending out resumes this weekend.

Kathy, I totally agree with you on the training. Kids and dogs need to behave. Hear that Chelone? I know youll agree with me on that. I know this training and puppy stage will be short lived although intense. The trainer told me yesterday that Missy is doing incredibly well for such a young dog. Were now at the stage where she goes out with a long leash, but we dont have to lead her around on it. Its for IF she blows thru the fence well have a lead to grab. So far shes staying in bounds, despite dogs walking by, kids going by, cars, folks playing ball with the dog across the street, etc. This am she ran all over the place, loving her freedom. I can already see its going to get much easier on us. We have a puppy obedience training class starting Thurs. nite. The trainer already told me shell be ahead of the class.

((((Kathy)))) So sorry you lost your Boo-boo kitty. It is so very hard to lose these furry creatures. They really are members of the family. I still tear up a lot about losing Bullet. Sounds like a busy time in Las Vegas. I went there often on business and youre right, it can be exhausting. And when I had business in Los Angeles, I often flew back from Las Vegas. The airfare was far cheaper if I spent a Sat. night, and the room was of what it would have cost if I stayed in LA, so I always was able to get the accounting folks to OK charges for my weekend stay there. The gal I worked with in Cal. would drive us there and wed split a room. We traveled well together and enjoyed each others company. I really miss her.

Mariann, DDs cat is too cute! How neat is that that she sits up for food!

Eden, yes, how about this weather! Ive been lovin the cooler temps, but it looks like well be back to the hot and humid Thurs. Thanks for the update on your Mom. I was wondering how it was going. Its so hard on her, but also for all of you. ((((Eden)))). Im hoping to get some gardening time in, too, now that weve progressed substantially with Missy. My garden is truly the pits, folks.

Deanne, please share what youre planning for the new shrub border. I need some help in different areas and perhaps youll spark me to new thinking. BTW, I just bot 2 more Ivory Halo dogwoods for the back border behind Hydrangea Lady in Red, so now theres a group of 5. The ones I put in last yr. are really loving the moisture and conditions there. Theyre great shrubs and I recommend them.

Babs, the photo of your 3 guys is perfect. Sounds like youre all enjoying the summer.

T, thanks for your comments on DD, too. Ive been thinking of you a lot these days, too. How busy youve been with those little ones! But I know how youll treasure all these special times with them when they get older. And they do grow up so fast.

Michelle, OMG, I cant imagine what you went thru cleaning out your parents home. Thankfully, my Mom has been weeding thru things but when our turn comes, Im sure it will be an overwhelming task. Thanks, re DD. Yep, once a parent, always a parent.

Ok, I have to get moving here. Im off to some errands and to the dentist for a cleaning. Thinking of all
TTYL. Honey

o

Hi, Folks been a bit out of the loop but jumping back in ... my guest has taken up a lot of my time and energy and resources, including borrowing my p.c so it makes it difficult at nite to do any idylling, and work has been gangbuster w/ some new high profile cases, so Im limited in checking in.

Kathy Im sorry to learn about your distinguished feline friend thats a tough decision to make, but weve all been there feelin for ya. I loved reading your article youve really got your hands in many pots (literally and figuratively speaking).

Yowzer, Deanne a full length pot garden. . . . You like to do things in a BIG way it looks gorgeous, of course.

Rain here too finally! So-longed for it is supposed to go on and off for the next few days; I actually re-wound the hoses & put them away for th etime beeing Miss Optimism here. course, by Saturday its supposed to be back in the 90s, but I hope that Ill get a few more days relief if we continue to get some good soakings here.

Wow, Michelle your parents stash sounds like my parents. . . . what well be faced with this winter as Dad makes some choices about his future hope to put their house on the market next spring and Ive been really dreading this cleaning out thing. . . . No way Ive got 11 people in my family, LOL. . . .

Im sure Marie is having a blast w/ her family visit.

I had a good time this weekend in PA we remembered Moms birthday by a visit to the cemetery; but it ended up being "fun" as my own DD & her DH accompanied me up and Dad was pleasantly surprised to see them. Had a good time even my DB came & we all had nice Italian dinner afterwards. It was a quick visit & the commute was horrible (4 & hrs sitting in traffic up) but I was so glad we did. My houseguest is still working on getting herself out of a funk to accomplish moving forward w/ her life a bit of a challenge, but hopefully shes starting to rouse herself and do some of the hard things necessary to closing that chapter & moving forward here. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed on this!

O, Honey, Im so sorry to hear about your DHs job hopefully youve got time to make it a positive thing.

Eden that new bed sounds wonderful and efficient for small living... how clever of you. I imagine your "save" gene was killed off by your utilitarian quotient! I noticed that Pottery Barn & other catalogs are making it big market hype to attempt to draw in "small house/apartment" dwellers theyve got some interesting things to offer nowadays.

My gardens look pretty tired and woeful; phlox & a few other things blooming; but thats it. Ive got to try to turn my attention back to them to think of some changes. Luckily I had already placed my bulb order so Im finished for that decision.

Well, just wanted to say hi; see weve got lots of folks on vacation. Ahh, vacation... what is that like, LOL?

--Cindy

o

Well, I'm feeling very organized after working non-stop at it for the last 4 days. Give Bella about 1/2 hr. tomorrow morning and that'll all change:) Really she's pretty good about putting her things away. I've tried to give all of her things a place and she always notices if I move things around.

Honey, so sorry to hear about Tom's job. I know you've been waiting a longtime for the other shoe to drop. Things are so bad here in MI. The guy across the street lost his job at age 61 a few weeks ago and we have many empty houses in our neighborhood that people have lost. It' scary for sure. This whole China thing really concerns me too.

Cindy, there you are! I figured you were busy with your friend. How nice that you had a good weekend to remember your mom's birthday. I've wondered how your dad's doing without her. It must be really hard for him especially. As for the that Pottery Barn line, that's where I got the idea for my bed from.

It's looking like we're going to be in for more rain here this evening which is A OK with me. A friend who works afternoons has the night off tonight so we're thinking of doing a mid-week wine night this evening.

Eden

o

Yes, it has been somewhat quiet on the idylls this week. I think everyone wore themselves out last week!

Michelle, we don't have a generator, but we don't totally rough it. We do have propane for lights, the stove and a gas fridge (just sounds wrong, doesn't it?) so it's not too rustic. No running water, but there is a lovely lake to bathe in. Your tales of moving your parents gave me nasty flashbacks to moving my mom out of her house several years ago. My MIL is moving this fall and I have been keeping a very low profile.

Honey what a shame about Tom's job, and even more so because they are moving it to China. It's downright frightening to read of some of the recalls going on right now because of the lack of quality oversight there. I'm sure things will be much better for components of large moving vehicles, right?

I still having vacation stuff to put away and some volunteer duties I need to tend to, but I really want to go to bed early. Pass the wine, Eden!

The theatre that DD and I were at when she got stung sent us free passes for another show, so DD and a friend drove up there this evening. Only one phone call due to a wrong turn. But there's a nasty storm bearing down on that area. Always something to worry about.

V.

o

Hooray for the stump-grinder dude ! It took him almost an hour and there are still a few roots here and there, but I should be able to deal with them. Now all I have to do is agonize over the planting scheme. Thanks to all the kind words re: BooBoo. I have put a pic of himon my desktop background and DS and I made a little photo shrine on the fridge , many from his better days as a young energetic cat. We enjoyed picking out the pics together.

Eden, youve been so productive of late-I feel like a real slacker in comparison ! Pavers, painting, etc. So glad your Mom is doing well ..We have a Morningsun Herb Farm here in Vacaville, about a hour east of me. They are fantastic, and always have a booth at our Napa farmers market. Ive always wanted to take some of their classes, but just dont have the time available right now.

T, do you usually get rain in August ? My BIL in Portland called me with stories of rain, I think it was the week before last. I guess thats what keeps things so green up your way. I will be driving to Eugene to see DD and then up to Portland late next week.

Michelle, Ive been trying to rid myself of all the extra crapola that one accumulates after 16 years in one house I cant imagine the stockpile Id have if Id been here for 40! Ive been on an editing campaign for the last few years-I still have a long way to go. Im concentrating on the garage this summer and winter, and them I will start on the closets and the dreaded guest room ..( Where should we put this stuff?? Oh, just throw it in the guest room and well worry about it later !)

Honey..so sorry about your DHs job situation ! Hopefully you will have some time to re-group. Sounds like Missy is making some great progress.Perhaps she will be the valedictorian of doggie school !

Cindy, glad you dropped in.I hope your friend continues to make progress . The article you read is part of our Napa master gardener volunteer program. We contribute a column to the local paper every Saturday. Its a great trade-off the paper gets a free article and we get free publicity for our programs .I write 4 or 5 columns a year right now. I anxiously await the phone call from the Pulitzer Committee, LOL.

Ha, good for you V keeping a low profile ! If my FIL ever moved wed have to get a crew of about 20 people just to deal with his garage, what a mess that place is.

OK, time to sign off
And some who have not checked in for a bit ..where has Cynthia been ?

Kathy in Napa

o

Quick good morning before hitting the road, but definitely wanted Honey to know that I'm thinking of she and her family .... As a true believer that everything happens for a reason, I hope your reason becomes clear sooner than later.

And Kathy -- asked while you were away so you probably understandably missed the question. Any experience with keeping an 'Aloha' climber alive low of Z7?
Martie

o

I was just outside starting to move some plants in the front garden and we had a huge downpour. Missy retreated to the garage with a great big sigh. She had a couple hours outside, so I put her in for a nap while I idyll with you guys!

DD is trying to get SIL to sign a promissory note about his intentions of support and paying off the bills. He said he wants a divorce. Its something she wrote up and if he signs, theyll go together to have notorized. Its not drawn up by a lawyer b/c she feels that will scare him off and shed have nothing. However, if hell sign this, it will be huge for her. So our fingers are crossed.

V, on the China thing, it is reeeeeaaaaaalllly scary especially from an insiders point of view. DH has caught them skimping on major components on ALL makes and models, foreign and domestic and kept them on task only b/c hes conscientious, not b/c it was part of the job. In this country weve become accustomed to high quality, safe food, produce, medicines, having brakes actually stop the car when we step on them, reliable engines and transmissions that run to 100,000 miles, oh and transmissions that stay in the gear you want them, etc., etc. Stay tuned. I dont have a lot of confidence things will get better before they get much worse.

Eden, I know the feeling about neighborhoods. Once again, our state is at the top in homes for sale and foreclosures. Yes, we knew it was coming, but him securing another job will be quite a task. Well just keep at it and do what we have to do. I love your storage ideas. I did the same with storage and purging when in our condo. I didnt have the room, so I pitched. Im trying like all get out to not accumulate here but it creeps in.

Cindy, Im so glad you had a great, positive visit with your Dad. Sorry your idyll time is limited but its so good hearted of you to help your friend out.

Michelle, I, too, had flashbacks of cleaning out my MILs home when we moved her to an apt. It was truly daunting. To give you an idea, we donated her maternity clothes from DH -- he was 50 at the time! Hang in there, kid.

Thanks, Martie. I try to think that way, too. Most often when things look bleakest, theres something better waiting around the corner.

Hi to everyone else. Ill sign off with the following. I got it in an email this am and thot Id share. How true!

WORRY

Is there a magic cutoff period when
offspring become accountable for their own
actions? Is there a wonderful moment when
parents can become detached spectators in
the lives of their children and shrug, "It's
their life," and feel nothing?

When I was in my twenties, I stood in a hospital
corridor waiting for doctors to put a few
stitches in my son's head. I asked, "When do
you stop worrying?" The nurse said,
"When they get out of the accident stage." My
mother just smiled faintly and said nothing.

When I was in my thirties, I sat on a little
chair in a classroom and heard how one of my
children talked incessantly, disrupted the class,
and was headed for a career making
license plates. As if to read my mind, a teacher
said, "Don't worry, they all go through
this stage and then you can sit back, relax and
enjoy them." My mother just smiled
faintly and said nothing.

When I was in my forties, I spent a lifetime
waiting for the phone to ring, the cars to come
home, the front door to open. A friend said,
"They're trying to find themselves. Don't worry,
in a few years, you can stop worrying. They'll be
adults." My mother just smiled faintly
and said nothing.

By the time I was 50, I was sick & tired of being
vulnerable. I was still worrying over my
children, but there was a new wrinkle. There
was nothing I could do about it. My
mother just smiled faintly and said nothing. I
continued to anguish over their failures, be
tormented by their frustrations and absorbed in
their disappointments.

My friends said that when my kids got married I
could stop worrying and lead my own
life. I wanted to believe that, but I was
haunted by my mother's warm smile and her
occasional, "You look pale. Are you alright?
Call me the minute you get home. Are
you depressed about something?"

Can it be that parents are sentenced to a
lifetime of worry? Is concern for one another
handed down like a torch to blaze the trail of
human frailties and the fears of the
unknown? Is concern a curse or is it a virtue
that elevates us to the highest form of life?

One of my children became quite irritable
recently, saying to me, "Where were you? I've
been calling for 3 days, and no one answered
I was worried."
I smiled a warm smile.
The torch has been passed.

o

I have done tantamount to NO reading... the rapid scroll (you guys know it well!).

But I'm here! I'm checking in because it's my duty. :) And I'm actually feeling a bit better (nothing like a "retreat", huh?

I have to go out the GARAGE and put another coat of paint on the "man doors" (does that mean menstruating women may not use them?), and flip the trim boards for the rim around the "attic doors" and hit them with bleaching oil.

'bug is taking too many shots of that grandkid of her's.

Kids and dogs should be summarily beaten to remind them of "their place", Honey.

I'm embarrassed that I've not asked more questions about my friends in the midst of a deluge and unprecidented floodwaters. Everyone OK?

Take good, cleansing DEEP breaths, Marian. :) Kick Dude if you have to... NOT!

I've tried to let things "simmer" with NH... Martie, I know you understand the frustration. I've done some research on the MA. nursing home Ombubsman (she in MA.) but feel it expedient to deal with reimbursement for her hearing aids, lost cane, and "lost" urostomy night collection jug before really DROPPING THE ANVIL.

Gotta get to the paint and bleaching oil before daylight wanes.

wail....

o

I was just watching the news and saw all the flooding in OH. Drema and Babs are you guys OK?

Eden

o

We are on vacation officially tomorrow. So I must begin packing, mow the lawn and organize the pots. It seems a little weird to set them up with the timer/sprinkler when its been raining every day and today is only 67 degrees.

Re: flooding, my DD was in Minnesota staying at a motel during the big rain on Friday night and the motel parking lot and the first floor of the motel flooded during the night. Her car has been totalled. She said there was water in the cup holders. She was a little bummed as she had just gotten it in December. They were staying on the 3rd floor so they didn't get in on the mess in the main floor rooms.

Honey, sorry to hear about DH's job, just what you need now. It seems like life is really spitting in your face these days. Hopefully, things look up soon.

A few shots from yesterday:

Here's what happens when you run out of containers:

I must get on the mower while its still light. Its getting dark earlier and these cloudy days are worse.

Michelle

o

I agree Michelle - it's 7:40 here and black as night - oh wait, maybe that's because of the storm clouds moving in. Yes, again... All of the creeks, rivers, etc. are full and any additional rainfall will just become floodwater. At least (knock on wood) we have not had any water issues at home. And I've only watered pots once since Friday night!

I'm also worried about Babs and Drema. I hope they check in to say that all is well.

Hmm, we are in deluge mode again at the moment. I will need to go soon as the battery was not fully charged on my laptop.

Chelone, glad to see you dropping in and feeling a bit better. Hang in there, and don't go running into any "man doors" okay?

V.

o

Good evening everyone,

On Sunday Wendy came over and we had the loveliest time. Im hoping she can still hear as I talked her ears off about plants for the entire afternoon. It is just so much fun to talk about gardens and plants with people who get it. Wendy is such great company! We shared a lot of good conversation and laughs.

Well Ive almost finished reading the last Harry Potter novel and she didnt disappoint. Lots of lose ends all tied up just the way I like them. LOL

So I was supposed to get all this stuff done in the gardens this week but I had to do errands on Monday, had a friend bring another of her friends over to see the gardens on Tuesday, today was a friend for lunch who didnt leave until 4:00PM, tomorrow will be another pair of friends for lunch and then a garden tour so tomorrow is toast again and Friday is supposed to be back up to 90 degrees. Good grief! Im blessed with too many friends. Not really but my plans for the week and the way its fallen out are two entirely different things. I did mark off the border for the new shrub border and have begun a sixteen inch wide, rock, mowing strip like we saw in one of the gardens in PA. Doug will be really pleased with that because he wont have to worry about tearing up the plants with the mower. Its looking pretty good but its going to take a few years to get all the rock edging done. Always another project. LOL

Babs, so you think I should have that fountain in by fall??? You are way too funny. ~~ Glad to hear that you are now a fashion plate and that AJs going to get such terrific individual attention in school this year. ~~ Great score on the ceramic drain pipe.

Mariann, the plants that get saved all go into the basement in one form or another. Love the pick of the begging kitty. Too cute! ~~ Hope youre feeling better soon.

Kathy, so sorry to hear about your Boo-Boo Kitty. They just never live long enough. It just breaks your heart to lose the furry ones.

Honey, so very sorry to hear about Toms job. Thats just terrible. Sometimes when youve been waiting for that ax to fall for a long time its a bit of a relief when it finally does so you can move on and do something else. I know all will turn out OK for you guys as you always land on your feet through hard work and determination. ~~ Hope all works out for your DD. Mine is finally looking for an apartment Hallelujah!

Eden, glad to hear youve finished your paver project. Any photos of the finished patio? ~~ No ideas yet as to what Im going to put in the shrub border. I do know I want a strong vertical accent in there and was looking at a columnar beech tree. They had one at the Mixed Border and its a beauty. ~~ Neat that the new bed has such needed storage space and that you love it!

T, sure wished you lived closer so you could come and plunk down in a chair, that way I would too!!! LOL

Michelle, your planter must be beautiful for George to want to grace it with his presence! LOL sorry for the damage though. ~~ I wish you could be here in person too! Wouldnt that be fun? ~~ So sorry to hear about your DDs car. Thats awful, at least their room didnt flood though. ~~ Love the photos! You always have such beautiful combinations and that bucket container is darling. Love it!

OK Im off to get some shut eye so I can get up early and hopefully get some quality garden time before my lunch date tomorrow.

Nite all
Deanne

Hope all the OH Idyllers are OK and not having flooding problems.

o

Wednesday waveI.m considering doing something useful this evening, but can easily be swayed to watch a baseball game instead..

Martie, if you have the 1949 version of Aloha , my books say it is hardy to zone 5. I just love that rose, but not one that I have (yet!)

Michelle , nice container shots ! I love the galv. bucket planter too. Your poor DD s car ! I can relate to the flood stuff as we have them here every few years. Ive never sustained any damage but the business I work for has. We now have an official flood plan.

Hi Chelone, Honey, Eden and all Idyllers ..

Kathy in Napa

o

A quick good morning, A cloudy cool day again here and then tomorrow is supposed to go back up to 90 degrees. I've got to get out to water but thought you'd get a kick out of this pick of my kitty in the tree. I'm thinking this is his 'hideout' when I'm calling him and he doesn't come.

Have a great day everyone
Deanne

o

Hi guys- I had a minute to skim the posts-

How sweet of you to ask about Babs and myself. The area where I live is not being affected by the floods. I do have three or four roof leaks:) Skip can't seem to get rid of them, I think he is going to have to do more major work up there. Lots of $$. My daughter's basement got some water in it, but they don't have anything stored down there, so no biggie other than having to go over there the other night and help get rid of the water. I am not sure about Babs' area. I have to say that I really appreciated seeing the rain. Plant life in the general area is turning green like I don't ususually see except in the spring, so I am enjoying it.

Yesterday the boys found six baby kittens under the cars in the driveway, so I skipped the gym, rushed home to take a pic, and the mom moved all but a little orange one. By the time I went in the house to get a pic of this little cutie, she moved that one too. We are on the watchout though. Dev has already vowed to track the mom because he plans on keeping one of the kittens. The ground hog number is up to 9, in case any of you are counting:) Believe it or not, I had some a Dahlia that leafed out, and the stinker ate them. I don't think I will get one bloom this year. I just hope that I can figure out where I planted them, so I can dig up for next year. I am being invaded by wildlife. I have little tiny ants in my house, and mice running on my counter tops while I sleep. Yuck...

Deanne, love your newly expanded container area. That Brug is amazing.

Honey, glad Missy is turning into a good girl for you. Sorry about hubby's layoff. That stinks. I have had this hammer over my head ever since I switched jobs. We are looking into some alternatives as a back up. If it works out, I will let you know.

Kathy, sorry about your kitty. It is always hard. We got our Choc Lab Max the same year Dev was born, so he has never not had him. Now he is 10, and when he and Max go out and walk up and down the creek like they did Sunday, Max can't make it up the steps. We try to keep him from overdoing it, but if you have ever known a choc lab, they have a really hard time with slow gear:) I know that day is coming...

Hope everyone else is doing well. I have to run accomplish something here.

D.

o

Dear Deanne, for you from Georgian Bay. :)

o

Good Morning, Hot, muggy and maybe some severe storms later they say. I just hope no more trees fall on me:) I have Bella everyday for the rest of the week so she'll be keeping me busy and all projects are on hold. I think I mentioned that we're working on potty training. Yesterday I came out of the bathroom and she said to me in a very encouraging tone "Good Girl Grandma!". You never know what she's going to come up with next.

Drema, thanks for letting us know you're ok. Kittens huh? I remember when we had 8. What a circus that was. They're all 10 years old now and not half as much fun.

Deanne, the beech is a great idea. I love the purple weeping ones. There's a beautiful huge one growing at a local nursery that must be 30 ft tall. I think it was Cindy that mentioned Black Swan this spring and I ended up ordering one from Forest Farm. It will only get 15' tall with a 3' spread so is a much better fit for my garden. The only down side was that it's such a small thing right now. I'd have loved to be able to find a larger specimen to start off with. Sounds like you're quite the social butterfly this week. Have fun! I'll get some pics of the patio area soon to share. That kitty of yours looks like he's pretending to be living in the jungle, lol. Great shot!

Michelle, how awful about dd's car. Stuff like that is such a hassle to get taken care of. Have a fun vacation. Love the pictures, especially the coleus, salvia, geranium combo. The bucket's a great container solution. I also ran out of pots long ago this year and (don't read this Deanne) have resorted to having some things in black nursery pots that I try to hide by mixing them in amongst the others. Have a wonderful vacation.

Chelone, glad that you're feeling a little better and you dropped us a few lines. I've been thinking of you.

Nana Marie must be happily busy with the grands.

Hi to you too Kathy! And yea, I've been missing Cynthia too???

Time for Bella's arrival so ttyl!

Eden

o

Hi Idylls.
Thought I would try to check in again. The last time I tried I lost my post and was to tired to try again.
I really have been lax in posting and just taking time to read a couple times a week. Hopefully I'll get more into it it again later. I still enjoy reading everyones posts. And especially enjoy all pictures, be it flowers children or pets. Thanks to all who shared pictures of the IU4 tours. Some fabulous gardens there. Wish I could have visited them with you.
I work outside almost everyday. The last three weeks have been brutal with heat and drought though. No rain since the end of June until day before yesterday we got an inch and a half. temps running in the hundreds the last two weeks. Couldn't even put enough water on to keep plants from frying in that. I fear some of the native dogwoods may have succumbed too. Our woods look pretty pitiful from the ice storm this winter and now the drought .
DH is retired and I enjoy having him around for the most part. There are those days though. LOL. He still works now and then and will be for the next two weeks so I am looking forward to having some space.
The dogs are suffering this heat too. They lay on the concrete floor in the garage most of the time. Rebel was bitten by a copperhead on the foot about a month ago. he actually received better treatment than I did when I was bitten several years ago.
Hey we are getting another storm. Yea more rain but I need to get off the computer .

So o..oo.. That was last saturday evening. We had quite a storm and it knocked out our power for 12 hours and fried my surge protector. It sure got hot here in the house over night and DH coughed all night long. I picked up the cough too but didn't get as sick as he did. I don't know if it was just allergies or if we inhaled to many fumes from the cleaner we used to wash the house down. I am so glad that job is done though. We did the garage end off the ladder but decided we needed to rent a lift to do the rest as two sides of the house are two stories tall.

From reading what you all have written of floods and drought etc, I 'm getting the feeling that extreme weather is more common than normal weather anymore. No wonder we are all using more tropicals and sedums etc , in the gardens.

I had a three day reprieve from watering but had to water containers this morning. I sure needed that break though. Now if it would just cool down a bit I could get back to working on my paths and cleaning things up. Have a lot of dividing planned and need to till up a spot in the vegie garden area to hold divisions until I know where I want to put them.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi and I 'm still out here.
Thinking of you all and wishing everyone the best in whatever you are dealing with.

I looked out the window a while ago and saw this. LOL This is the neighbors, through the woods, little dog. She follows me all around when I am outside. There is debris in the cart that I raked up after the storm.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Norma

o

My quickie skims have missed Cynthia, too. I'm in hopes that nothing dire has occured with her pointy-nosed pack... would like an update, but understand how stressed can affect one's desire to type.

Michelle, as ever the containers are so pretty. Bummer about your daughter's car... but that's what insurance is for!

Drema, we had a persistant leak around our chimney that drove me NUTS (and stained the ceiling, damnit!). My sympathies. KITTENS? about the only thing on the face of the earth that reduces me to jelly are KITTENS. Babies? ehhh. Puppies? ehhh (you know my feelings on dogs); they tend to pee when you touch them. But kittens are only slightly less perfect that the adults of the species. :) I too well remember the decline of once active dogs. It IS sad, but it's what happens and treating them with the love and respect any senior/pensioner deserves makes it easier.

I'm still taking pictures but have to deal with the log jam that is the memory of this computer before adding to it! I've simply not had it "in me" to try to muddle through any of it given the events of the past few weeks, so you'll have to wait patiently and tolerate my "neo-luddite" tendancies. At present one facade (east) is fully shingled, and the southern one is nearly finished. There are two pallets of masonry materials on the east side now. BUT!

We went to a very nice nursery last week and purchased the following:
1.) Thuja occidentalis "Yellow Ribbon"
2.) Juniperus scopulorum "Wichita Blue"
3.) Abies Concolor
4.) Picea Omorika
5.) Chamaecyparis nootkatensis "Pendula"
6.) Corunus kousa "Chinesis"
7.) Stewartia pseusocamellia

The first 3 were the helpmeet's selections, 4-7 were a joint collaboration. I was insistant that money be in our budget to have nice sized plants purchased AND PLANTED. But I'm still freaked out by how much "open" space will still be there after they're in the ground. ;) We drew our plan to accomodate the mature size of the plants! so there will be a lot of "filling in" and suffering the long looks of touristas (damnit!) for some years to come. Estimated planting date is somewhere in the middle of September. choke.

I am not going to paint tonight.

o

We just had a line of major thunderstorms go through. It's still raining like crazy. I was a bit freaked after the last time so I took Bella and waited it out in the basement. Looks like V's gotten hit pretty hard, worse than us. Boy, since Woody started this bone dry thread some of us have had lots of rain.

Norma, it's just great to hear from you. I've missed you. Bet it is an adjustment to have dh retired. I don't know if I'd like that. How are the grandkids? Bet Wyatt is growing by leaps and bounds.

Chelone, wow, what a nursery score. Great choices! I love my stewartia.

I'm going to try to put Bella to bed now that things have settled down a little.

Eden

o

Eden, we almost went to the basement the other night too.
Yes Wyatt is really growing. He will be pre school this year. Since he won't be five until Jan. he will miss kindergarten for another year. Big brother Jake is eighth grade this year. Yesterday was first day of school for him. We have weddings coming up for two grandaughters. One in Oct. and one in April. So life is moving along.
It is an adjustment having DH home. At least he has slowed down on asking me "what are you doing now?". LOL

Marian, I hope you get some rain soon. I know how frustrating it is.

N

o

Eden, you were right about me getting hit hard. I was at a show at Navy Pier in Chicago, and my drive home took over three hours. Lots of rain, wind and lightning, and the expressway was starting to flood in places. Yuk!

But you all will be glad to know that I can stop joking about crawfish living in my driveway. There are now ducks swimming there! (And a downed tree that luckily fell alongside the driveway instead of across it.)

Gonna clean up and catch z's!

V.

o

Good morning everyone,

V, thanks for checking in I was worried about you when I saw the weather this morning. You've just had some awful weather. The weather station said that those storms had 70 MPH winds. Terrible.

Bug, thanks so much for the good wishes! I'm going to spend the day out in my gardens.

Eden, Glad everything and everone is OK. I'd be heading for the basement too after that last storm you had.

Norma, great to hear from you! We've missed you here. I can imagine its a huge adjustment getting used to your DH's retirement. Thank goodness Doug is planning to keep working for another seven to ten years. I'll go nuts when he retires.

Chelone, terrific choices on those shrubs! I can't wait to see them all planted and the garage finished.

Drema, nine woodchucks???? Good grief, how does anything at all grow in your gardens? Those pests are just eating machines. So sorry. I read that the best time to trap them is in March before any of the plants green up because the food in the trap is the only food available. Maybe you can get rid of them next spring.

Hello to everyone! I've got to get dressed and start watering the pots. Eden, I think I'll count mine today and we can compare notes. I'll bet you have more than I do. (I can see you really 'cut back' from last year. ROTFLOL)

Have a great day
Deanne

o

o

Good Morning, More storms here overnight but nothing severe. This is supposed to keep going up through tomorrow afternoon. And today's going to get in the 90s again and very steamy. One good thing, I haven't had to do much watering at all the last week or so.

V, glad you checked in and you're ok. We still need to hear from Babs though.

Deanne, Happy Birthday! Since it's your birthday I did count my pots for you this morning. And the total was around 200, 194 to be exact but I'm sure I missed a couple. I did cut back. Last year I think I had well over 250. It's those collections that get me. The elephant ears, the agaves, the salvias, the begonias etc. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it, lol.

Norma, hard to believe the boys are those ages. And congrats to your grandaughters on the upcoming weddings.
What fun! As for retirement it always seems to me that once men retire they just don't know what to do with themselves after going to work everyday for so long and that's understandable. Best to find them a hobby I suppose? I know it still bothers my mom sometimes and my dad's been retired for 20 years.

Looking forward to a check in from Sue today!

I'm off to find a suitable subject for Deanne's birthday card and then spending the rest of the day tending to Bella. Have a good one everbody!

Eden

o

Good morning!

Just stopped by quickly to check for TGIF - it isn't truly Friday for me until I see it.

Well, the heat is back - maybe house cleaning this weekend - I know that once it cools off again I'll want to be back in the garden. DH and I dug up the weed strip next to the driveway, and removed 5 or 6 wheelbarrows full of rocks, probably debris from when the house was built. The soil there is very sandy, and it will be sunnier once the large oaks are removed, so I am thinking of planting a tapestry of sedums and thymes.

I had a wonderful afternoon with Deanne on Sunday - her garden is just spectacular. Everything was immaculately groomed, just wonderful. Her fuchsias have such size from being overwintered, they are inspiring. The pot garden in the front is truly fabu, such beauty. Even her compost piles are divine! We managed to check out the Mixed Border, and neither of us bought anything - can you imagine?! Deanne and Doug are such wonderful hosts, I always enjoy a visit to their home. What a wonderful day of plant talk and compost sniffing!

Chelone, nice score on the plants. Don't worry, you'll find plenty of perennials to fill in the gaps. I bet a wo-man can use the man doors, better than a man could!

My sympathies to all with storms and flooding. Not a drop of rain here, may have to turn on the sprinklers this weekend.

V, do the ducks eat the crawfish?

Drema and Norma, nice to see you!

Michelle, enjoy your vacation!

Must start my workday - waving hi to everyone else!

-Wendy

PS Back tonite with Deanne's birthday pic - that stuff is all at home. I know you won't mind the late card - I'm sure you are still celebrating!

o

Oops, sorry, almost forgot...

TGIF!

Deanne's birthday?? I guess that means I need to get out tonight and take some pictures...lol.

Happy Friday all!

Sue

o

Glad to see the tgif! I was starting to worry. Hi Sue!

Eden

o

Okey dokey - now it is Friday!

o

O, My, lots I've missed; no time but time to say

Happy Birthday, Deanne!!!!

--Cindy

o

Happy Birthday to a wonderful gardener and all around great person. Thanks for always taking the time to post your beautiful photos. I've learned so much from you!

Eden

o

A dead monitor has sidelined me this week but it is now operational again after fast service via courier from manufacturer....

It's nice that some of you have been getting rain. Not a thing here! It's painful to watch the weather radar and see rain clouds heading our way only to have them slide by to the north or south and miss us completely. It seems like there must be some odd air circulation pattern going on at this end of the lake this year that is driving all the clouds away.

Honey - have you looked to see if there's a 'kick me' sign on your back?! :-) You guys have been having an incredible run of bad luck! I hope some good news heads your way soon - starting with a new job perhaps...?

Kathy - my condolences on the loss of Bo-Boo kitty. That's always such a sad event.

Eden (and Deanne...) do you have some secret to watering all those pots efficiently? I only have a few (< 25 in front and < 10 in the back) and I am thoroughly sick of watering them by now.

The brick edging is progressing. I hope the front will be done by the end of the first week of September. The new wisteria bed is finished (but I wish I had made it a slightly different shape! One of the drawbacks to doing the edging is that it will no longer be easy to change the shape of things.) The metal edging is in place for all the remaining areas, the trench dug out and the first layer of screenings put in and tamped down. The bricks are currently sitting in place but now I need to do the final layer of screenings to bring them to the proper height, level them and fill the 'seams' between them. Because I am doing the tamping of the screenings by hand with a rubber mallet, and because I'm not Hercules :-) I fear that the bricks will settle more than I expect over the winter and I'll need to raise them next spring. I hope not! In anticipation of a fair bit of settling, I'm leaving them a reasonable height above the top of the metal edging. The ones lining the main path have already settled level with the metal. Those ones get a lot of traffic across them from moving all the bricks etc. for the rest of the edging so I hope they are pretty much through with settling. Once the front is finished, I'll be doing several areas in the backyard too. But it will be a much smaller job and hopefully the weather will be cooler by then which should make it easier to work.

We were dog sitting this week - Liam the Border Collie. He's Misty's favorite visiting buddy I think. He pays her just the right amount of attention , is both calm but playful and very gentle with her. She even allows him to join the morning 'cuddle huddle' on the bed - a privilege she allows no other visiting dog!

o

Happy Birthday Deanne!

o

Too hazy for good photo ops in my garden today so here's one from IU4.

Hope you enjoyed the day!

Sue

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEANNE , FROM THE REDWOOD FOREST...

kathy in Napa

o

Happy Birthday, Deanne!

o

Happy Birthday V!

As an added birthday bonus looks like the rain's finally on it's way out. Have a great day!

Eden

o

Good Morning all,

Thanks so much for all the lovely birthday greetings! We had a lovely dinner party here last night cooked by my friend MJ and it was out of this world into the next. Marvelous! We also opened one of our bottles of Groth Cabernet. Yum!

Eden, I didn't count my pots yet but I'll do it today. You are a hoot! Now am I supposed to count all the baby plants I have coming along or not?

Without further ado here's wishing V a marvelous birthday!

Time to get a move on here as the temps are going to get almost to 100 today and I've got to get the heavy work done before the day warms up too much. Have a terrific day everyone,
Deanne

o

Happy Birthday V! (Indy dog is enjoying catching sticks in Georgian Bay here and would have loved Mystic's company!)

o

V, I hope you have a wonderful (and dry) day!

T.

o

Happy Birthday V and Deanne!!!!!!!!!!!! Will get some pics tomorrow for you -- today it's 105 heat index and 70% humidity. Not a great day for garden trolling.

Kathy -- Thanks for the Aloha info. Don't know if it's the true "one" but am hopeful. Yet another must-have for California :-) Your car will soon navigate to Home Goods on its own. Leave plastic at home. Be sure to have empty car boot. Friends don't let friends go to Home Goods unprepared.

Chelone: So Good to Hear You without a Grimace!!!! I empathize with the "garden is empty" syndrome. It's hard not to get impatient and cram things in for the sake of covering brown. That said, even Rich was noticing that I Was Right about the three year wait being worth it :-) Yes, we can get full-sized stuff but who wants to spend the $$$$? Thought of you the other day when Christmas fabric was out at Joann's. Already???? Pretty cool tassles, too. Of course, had to get them at full price because they were so cool that they may be sold out before they go on sale. Tassle addiction isn't so bad, Right????

Wendy: I've been meaning and meaning to just say "hi".

Deanne: If you're ever headed south, wanna document my garden with your camera??? I've tried and tried and just don't have the eye. I think it looks better than the pics show, but you may be able to "get" it.

That said, of course ANYONE is ALWAYS welcome.

Glad that the flooding did not horrifically impact anyone. The pics we're seeing are awful ...

'bug: I think it appropriate that Reed touches a Great Lake before an ocean :-) Thought I had lost my 'Josephine' to wilt, but it's throwing some new growth and there is hope!!

To everyone -- Hope everyone stays upright and talking -- some days that's enough :-)

Martie

o

eek! I'm gone for a few days and not only do we have one birthday but TWO sneaking by me!!! Sorry Deanne & V, I have to get out and start shooting. We have a storm brewing so I may not get anything postable until tomorrow.

I too am thankful for the idyll queries about flooding in my area. Drema I'm glad you are OK-I was wondering.I am safe and sound but it's sobering to hear how many other areas not so far away have been having serious flood probs. The big talk here is how few people even bother with flood insurance since the areas being flooded don't usually get so much water--I guess it's strange weather patterns causing the trouble.
We were talking about how little we've been hiking this summer-haven't visited our waterfall and only went to tadpole ponds twice. Chris wants to get me doing some trail running with him since he feels his knees are ready to get exercising again. I NEED something to burn off the wiggly flab around my middle: ) It's bad when you have boobs AND belly scraping the pavement...lol

Hey has anyone heard of OT Terragona? It's a cross of oriental and trumpet lily. I bought some for cheap: )but the blooms were spent so I won't know what it's like till next summer. It's supposed to be creamy white with a yellow center.

Sorry I can't post comments to the latest posts here. It's MIL day(yippee?). I have tales of the new school year to tell too but it will have to wait. I hope you are having productive weekends, everybody;relaxing ones count too: )

Peace,man.
~babs

o

Babs, I can't believe you've found Tarragona and for cheap!!!! I've been looking for it all summer here and haven't been able to find any, anywhere.
Here is a pic from 05 I took of some I had that I lost last winter.

If there are any left is there any possibility that you could pick up a couple pots for me then send the bulbs after frost???? It really is a fabulous and beautiful lily.

Martie, next time I'm in your neighborhood with my camera I'd be happt to snap some pics for you.

OK I've got to move the hoses.
Later
Deanne

o

o

Anybody home....?!

We got 1.25" of rain yesterday! The plants are looking happier this morning but we're still 6.6" behind on total rainfall, so much more is needed - but not in the forecast unfortunately. The only things that are blooming now that really seem to have taken the drought in stride and haven't blinked at all are Russian Sage and Gaura. Butterfly bushes have also done reasonably well - the ones that made it through last winter at least.... 'Becky' daisies did well all summer but they finished blooming a week or two ago. The hibiscus are doing well and are certainly some of the showiest flowers in the garden now but they have needed some supplemental water. The Chinese wisteria 'tree' did not bloom this spring due to cold damage to the buds in early May but has been blooming non-stop since the second week of July! It does that every year and makes it worth growing even if it never blooms in spring - although it was spectacular when it did bloom last spring. It's a much bigger plant now so I'm hoping for a milder spring for 2008 so it will bloom again. Some of the asters that usually get ratty bottom leaves at this time of year have (so far at least...) healthy foliage from top to bottom so it seems like they like the current conditions. It's always interesting to assess the garden at this time of year to see what the really tough beauties are and plan to add more of them for next year.

o

Happy Birthday V!

o

A calamity of gigantic proportions is preventing me from a proper post....univited guests X 2, spilled water, stopped up potty.....

I am heading home tomorrow but by shear luck found a very poor internet connection on the front porch of the vacation home :) At least I got to read and catch up :)

Much to comment on as I get back.....we decided to take another day and avoid the usual Sunday traffic.

Hello to all and birthday wishes to those who I missed.

Saucy

o

Yoo-hoo Idylls ! Where the heck is everyone ? I hope all the flood region folks are OK. DS and I attended the Redwood Empire Bonsai show today. Wonderful trees on display. I love looking at them but I dont have the patience required. DS is very interested in Bonsai and has started a bit of a collection. He occasionally goes to the meetings and workshops of our local Napa County Bonsai Society. I bought a new fridge on Friday after work and its going to be delivered tomorrow. Mine is over 15 years old and falling apart rapidly. Im only working two days this week, Wed is packing and watering day, and then DS and I are off on our road trip to Oregon to visit DD and BILs.

Saucy, a plugged potty on vaca is bad !

Woody, speaking of asters, Ive just got them all over the place. I always feel so reluctant to thin them out, but they starting to become a nuisance.

Martie, If your Aloha has one of the little round metal tags you shoud be able to see if it is the older version. Hybridizer is Boerner, and is would be a non-patent rose now.

Hello to all , I have to finish emptying the fridge !

Kathy in Napa

o

Martie, you wouldn't have the other Aloha unless you had looked high and low and maybe had it imported from Germany. The Aloha stocked by places like Chamblees and ARE and your local nurseries is the classic version Kathy references and that's very cold hardy (z5). Still, best chance is with own root roses (even here in zone 7).

Happy belated birthday to Deanne & V! Wishing perfect gardening weather for both of you :)

o

o

Good Morning, It's just a beautiful day here today. Not much is going on here, just the same day to day stuff. I'm trying to get the finishing touches on the bedroom and may begin moving some plants around the garden and getting the pot ghetto into the ground. It's stayed small this year, not more than a dozen pots. I'm starting to think about painting the living room once gardening season is over and am looking at colors, thinking maybe a nice sage green?

Kathy, lucky you a new refrig and a vacation all in one week! Mine's 27 years old as it the matching stove. They both still work fine though.

Very nice to see Cynthia's post here this morning.

No time for comments. Brad leaves for work in 45 min so I'm going to go sit and have coffee with him before he goes.

Eden

o
a little bit more

Lol Deanne-leave to me to not know what I scored on. That IS a beauty-thanks for the pic. You'll scream to know I picked that lily up for just 5 bucks! I should have bought more!! It was about two weeks ago when I bought it. I will try to get to the nursery this week and see if they have more. Cross thy fings: )

Hi Saucy! It's good to hear from you-yuck about the potty: (

V I'm not sure what the flower is in your bday card-if it's some noxious weed I apologize: ) but it made such a nice pic I thought. That was from our tadpole ponds down the road where we love to hike.

Wish I could linger here-but my work calls. BOTH my kids have colds-I wonder if they'll end up at the clinic when I go in today. School has officially begun lol.

Have fun-it's cool-great for plant shifting...

~Babs

o

Good morning. Not sure, or rather I haven't decided, what the day holds for me today other than needing to go grocery shopping and take some things to the recycling center (oh joy).

The weekend brought nice weather, a bit overcast but warm. I spent part of Saturday doing some weeding, deadheading and such. Sunday, after church, was just spent sitting around with a relative who had gone out for a motorcycle ride and stopped by to visit us. Lovely!

Well....I'm still leading a boring life ;o), so that is pretty much what is happening here...other than to share, with the long-time Idylls, that I received a note that EP and Partner are together once more.

T.

o

Thanks for the EP update, T.

I'm busy with boring stuff too. I love it! Babies!!! :) DD is at court today- :(. The kids have gone to dip toes in Lake Erie. I'm home to nap, shower, mow and launder. All in silence. Tonight we expect DS too! YES!

It's official. I'M SICK OF FOOD! UGH!

I'm reading along, but not time to contribute much but photos on the other thread.

Ciao!~
'bug

o

T, thanks for letting us know.

Eden

o

Ooops! I meant DH is in court today ...and NOT enjoying a small claims settlement session. We'll see how things go.

o

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes! It was a hectic weekend as I took DD back to school on Saturday, we had a church function that evening, and a dinner for MIL's 75th on Sunday evening. In between, we are trying to get the garden ready for our pig roast next weekend. I took today off to work on weeding inside and out. I had a productive morning outside, but the mozzies may have been the real winner. :( Now I'm going to tackle the guest bedroom as it is thundering outside.

T, thanks for that update. Rather than feeling sad, I feel content that they are together again. They seemed to make a great couple.

Babs, the plant is Verbena hastata or blue vervain, and it is a native plant, not a noxious weed. Lovely photo!

Wendy, your photo of the canna at Chanticleer is wonderful - I can't believe how that leaf glows.

V.

o

T, Your life can't be any more boring than mine. Thanks for the EP update. My veiws are like V's. I still think of her often.
I loved the pics you posted recently of your grand youngun's. Life can't be boring with those guys around.

Happy belated birthdays V and Deanne. Hope you both had fun ones.
Deanne , your Kitty looks right at home in that tree.
V, I would love to see more pics of your swiming pond when you have time.

Eden I have kept the pot ghetto low this year too. But I have lots of moving and dividing to do. Part of my living room is sage green. I find it very easy to live with. Since I don't have curtains it blends very well with the outdoors.

Kathy enjoy your vacation. And Saucy welcome back.

GB. I wondered about DD going to court at your place.LOL
Enjoy every minute with those grandsons.

Hi to everyone else.

I had a good start outside this morning, then a bout of nausea overtook me and I have been wasted the rest of the day.

Woody the heat and dry has returned here. Like you I have been taking stock of what is tough enough to withstand this.

Babs, going back to school with colds is a bummer. Hope the boys feel better soon.

Need to do something about supper, but I think DH will be on his own tonight.

Later . Norma

o

Good evening all,

We had a nice weekend and Doug is working from home this week so it's been nice to have him around for a while. Off to Rochester next week though. DD is looking for apartments. Woohoo!

I've had to do quite a bit of watering in the last week as it's been hot and no rain. Saturday was pretty brutal. I had these great plans to finish up my rock edging on the back of the house and after watering I was already soaked with sweat from the humidity so I decided that it was a good day to stay in the AC and read a book. Doug did some computer stuff so we had quite a relaxing day.

Today I went to visit my friend with the broken ankle and it turns out not only is her ankle broken but the leg above the ankle as well. She had three breaks and they had to do surgery and put plates in the ankle. She's quite heavy and cannot use crutches so they had to keep her in the hospital and because she couldn't get up they had to catheterize her and now she has a bladder infection. One thing keeps leading to another. I feel so badly for her. She's the sweetest most generous person you'd ever want to meet and I wish there was something more I could do for her other than visiting. Oh well, they're moving her to a nursing home tonight so I'm going to run over there tomorrow with a stack of books and some flowers. (Her DH didn't even buy her any flowers. Good grief!)

Babs, I'm crossing my fingers that you can find more of those lilies. They really are gorgeous. ~~ Could that be Beacon in that BDay card???? Love it!

Cynthia, so nice to hear from you. Please don't be so scarce. How are the puppies doing?

Norma, sorry you got sick, hope you are feeling better soon.

T, thank you for sharing that information.

Kathy, what did you get for a fridge? I'd love to get a new one. Mine is about the same vintage as your old one and it's getting tired.

Eden I finally got a container count, You beat me by a mile! LOL I only have 152 containers. Now if you want to count all the baby plants I have coming along there are another thirty or so plants but I still don't come close to your 200!!!! I love it, another person who is more addicted to container gardening than I am. I'd like to know how many Denise has as it looks like she could be in contention for the most containers here.

OK I've got to get some dinner going so I'll sign off for now.

Have a great evening all
Deanne

o

I've not even attempted to "catch up" with reading. But the post about EP caught my eye... and the news made me smile and look out on the perfect Maine day differently. What GOOD news.

You know, when it became clear that Mum could no longer live alone in her home I shared my worries, fears, and irritation with her lack of planning on this forum. I'm sure more than a few were shocked... but that didn't bother me a bit. I know, full right well, that I'm riding the crest of the tsunami that is about to hit this country. And EP was one of the most supportive voices... because it made her think about her own circumstances differently, and to look at it from the standpoint of the person who would have to pick up the reins and guide the team when she would no longer be able. I never had the presence of mind to say that to her... but I so wish I had! She was a lovely, dynamic presence on the Idylls and I miss her still. Weren't we just so, SO fortunate to have enjoyed for as long as we did? (and that goes for alltharestayas, too!).

It was GORGEOUS today. I finished the 3rd. coat on the first side of the "man" doors yesterday and flipped them over to begin the inside of them. The shingles on the gable end with the garage doors were completed today. The "boom" that will hold the block and tackle to hoist heavy items to the attic area was installed, too. The doors for the attic area are yet to be built, but the effect will be aesthetically nice... very baHn-like.

I have taken pictures and may break my promise and post shots before transferring the picture files to CDs. But you'll have to continue with your enforced patience.

Hoping pre-backtoschool colds abate soon.
Good to see Cynthia... worried about your pack and YOU.
Deanne and Eden blow my mind... talk about a "bucket brigade"?!
Hoping Sue's bout with Lyme.D. is nearing a happy outcome.
Must we look at so many baby pictures, 'bug? ;)
Good to hear from T AND Norma!
Kathy, you crack me up... Angela Lansbury... LOL
Saucy, plugged hoppers are NO FUN, but make for good anecdotes.
Wendy, heard "Convoy" yesterday and CRACKED UP, lol.
Cindy, loved your Clematis shot.
V., hope your pig roast is success.

Warm birthday wished to all our birthday girls... but I'm too damn lazy to scare up a picture for you right now.

Hi Marian! hi Brenda! and hello to Dianthus (hope there's no back to school cold for you).

o

So DH has been trying to close down his old software company for ages and it all takes time. More time than you can imagine. He has ONE employee for ONE day per week. That's it. So this author who wrote some material for the company years ago (DH never met the guy) takes him to small claims court for $3000. DH agrees that he is owed the money, but because NO ONE has been paid for years, it seems wrong legally to pay him before, say, the tax people, the rental of space, and other such things. So he wrote him a note saying pretty much that he is on the list of people owed money once that stuff is settled. Well he was not content with this. So Dh wrote out all sorts of stuff about how to resolve things. Today they met to settle with the judge. The judge had little patience with the guy and suggests they meet once more in late October or November. The fellow was furious and said he hoped DH's children could live with a man with such low morals etc. Anyway, we hope that the employee can get most of the accounts settled by the end of October. I feel badly for the guy who simply doesn't understand the process. He's trying to sue the individual when it is the company that must be dealt with.

On the even more ridiculous front, once more New York State is investigating mother's taxes!!!!! I can't bear it!!!!!!

It is dark out at 8:30pm. I mowed but haven't weeded in weeks! Don't know if I'll EVER catch up.

Hello to all!!!
'bug

o

Marie, you're a grandma now, so by my experience, nope you'll never catch up.And if you're anything like me, catching up in the garden has fallen way down the list in the order of importance.

Norma, hope you feel better really soon. Thanks for telling me about your sage green room. I've never done green before but I want a color that feels calm and peaceful.

Babs, hope the boys are better soon and you don't catch the cold too.

V, enjoy your pig roast.

Deanne, well I would have bet that you had more. Yours are better groomed and in prettier pots, that's for sure:)

Chelone, yes, do show us some pics please! Oh and I'm getting close to being ready to show you pics of those two rooms I've been working on since last Jan. Stay tuned...

I agree it's wonderful that EP and partner are united again. I miss her wise words here too!

It's getting dark earlier. Not even 9pm and it's black outside tonight. Guess that means I can turn in early. Nite all!

Eden

o

Good morning all

Well we have a perfect day shaping up here and I'm hoping to be able to finish my rock edging in the garden but between gym, trip to Milford to see friend in rehab, visit from other friend with new baby, watering etc., etc., etc we'll see. I have a feeling it will be all I can do to get the watering done.

I'd taken a four week sabbatical from going to the gym this summer because I was working so steadily in the gardens and the hour and a half at the gym halves the amount of time I can do heavy work outside. Anyway, I'd decided that 'vacation' was over the week after my birthday so yesterday was my first day back. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could still do my hour on the stairs. I could only do 50 steps per minute instead of 60 but no complaints. (I can even walk this morning LOL)

Eden, no kidding about the shorter days. Yikes! It seems that the days get really shorter very fast this time of the year. ~~ I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new room.

Bug, sorry for your DH's problems with closing his business. And, I CAN'T believe you are dealing with the state and your mother's taxes again. Good grief!

Chelone, can't wait to see pics of your garage.

OK I'm off to get the watering done and haul myself to the gym.

Have a great day everyone,
Deanne

o

Good morning!

Well, the heat has broken and it is cool and dry this AM, and I'm off to work! Bummer. The weekend weather is supposed to be good too though - time to get out there and start digging. I have some shade plants that are suffering from too much sun, have to shuffle some things around.

Babs, 1st day of school on a Monday - yucky! My kids start back on Thursday, easing into it for two days and then a long weekend. I liked it better when they started after Labor Day.

Hi Dianthus - Olly Olly oxen free - come out, come out, wherever you are!

We had all three toilets at the office back up last week simultaneously; it wasn't pretty. I am still thanking my lucky stars that I was not the fatal flush. We were under a no-flush order all afternoon until the rooter man could come and rescue us. He blamed the weak flush of the water saving toilets, but I think there is a larger problem lurking in the neighborhood sewer system - there is occasionally a foul scent in the air in our area. Shudder.

On a lighter note, this is for Chelone and other CW McCall fans - I know you're out there:

Convoy

By Bill Fries & Chip Davis

Uh, Breaker One-Nine, this here's the Rubber Duck
You got a copy on me Pig-Pen? C'mon

Uh, yeah 10-4 Pig Pen, fer sure, fer sure
By golly it's clean clear to Flag-Town, C'mon

Uh, yeah, that's a big 10-4 Pig-Pen,
Yeah, we definitely got us the front door good buddy,
Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy

Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth, pullin' logs
Cabover Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We 'as headin' fer bear on I-One-Oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky-Town
I sez Pig-Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
An' I'm about to put the hammer on down

Cause we gotta little ol' convoy, rockin' through the night
Yeah we gotta little ol' convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on an' join our convoy, ain't nothin' gonna git in our way
We're gonna roll this truckin' convoy, cross the USA
Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, breaker Pig-Pen, this here's The Duck
Uh, you wanna back off them hogs
10-4, 'bout five mile or so, 10-roger
Them hogs is gittin' in-tense up here

By the time we got into Tulsa-Town
We had eighty-five trucks in all
But they's a road block up on the clover leaf
An' them bears 'as wall to wall
Yeah them smokies 'as thick as bugs on a bumper
They even had a bear-in-the-air
I sez callin' all trucks, this here's The Duck
We about to go a huntin' bear

Cause we gotta great big convoy, rockin' through the night
Yeah we gotta great big convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, you wanna give me a 10-9 on that Pig-Pen?
Uh, negatory Pig-Pen, yer still too close
Yeah, them hogs is startin' close up my sinuses
Mercy sakes, you better back off another ten

Well we rolled up interstate fourty-four
Like a rocket sled on rails
We tore up all a our swindle sheets
An' left 'em settin' on the scales
By the time we hit that Chi-Town
Them bears was a gittin' smart
They'd brought up some reinforcements
From the Illinois National Guard
There 'as armored cars, and tanks, and Jeeps
An' rigs of every size
Yeah them chicken coops 'as full a bears
An' choppers filled the skies
Well we shot the line, an' we went for broke
With a thousand screamin' trucks
And eleven long-haired friends of Jesus
In a chartreusse microbus

Hey Sod Buster, listen
You wanna put that microbus in behind the suicide jockey?
Yeah, he's haulin dynamite
He needs all the help he can git

Well we laid a strip fer the Jersey Shore
An' prepared to cross the line
I could see the bridge 'as lined with bears
But I didn't have a doggone dime
I sez Pig-Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
We just ain't a gonna pay no toll
So we crashed the gate doin' ninety-eight
I sez, let them truckers roll, 10-4

Cause we gotta mighty convoy, rockin' through the night
Yeah we gotta mighty convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
Convoy... Convoy...

Uh, 10-4 Pig-Pen, what's yer 20?
Omaha?!
Well they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there fer sure
Well mercy sakes alive good buddy
We gonna back on outta here
So keep the bugs off yer glass
An' the bears off yer... tail
We gonna catch ya on the flip-flop
This here's the Rubber Duck on the side
We gone
Bye, Bye...

I've been practicing the words, I'll be ready for IU5.

Speaking of songs I haven't heard in forever, I scored an Iron Butterfly CD when I went to Newbury Comics with DD. It has the original In A Gadda Da Vida, plus a live version AND a hologram of the band with a giant psychedelic butterfly on the cover. I had to leave the CD case with the hologram at home when I brought the CD on the car, I was afraid it would interfere with my driving!

Anyway, it is getting late - off to face the day!

Here is a link that might be useful: Would You Believe CW McCall Has A Website?!

o

I was going to say good morning but I see it's afternoon. This day is flying by. Beautiful outside, but I haven't made it to the garden yet.

Wendy, boy that song brings back memories. I had a boyfriend back in 75 with one of those customized chevy vans with the shag carpet on the walls and a cb radio.

OK, here are some pictures of the first room we started back in Jan. Bella and I share this room as you'll be able to tell in the pics.

It's a small room so hard to get shots of. I'll start from the door and go around the room. The walls show up on my monitor a bit paler yellow than they really are.

These are the shelves Brad built. I get the top half and Bella gets the bottom ones.

Bella's little bed

My area

That's Bella's moon up in the right corner. It has a remote control that she can use to make it go through the moon's phases. She likes to turn it on when she goes to sleep at night.

That's it. Pictures of the the next room to follow in a week or so.

Eden

o

What a sunny, happy room for you and Bella to share. Looks like the nursery after Mary Poppins snapped her fingers, lol. I'm sure Bella will take advantage of the open shelving and bin storage system you've set up to keep her toys and treasures tidy -- my own boys with a similar system, not so much ;o) The soles of my feet have been toughened considerably by treading on errant Lego pieces over the years. Still digging them up in the garden, along with marbles from previous generations.

Southern half of the West Coast contingent checking in. Eight days, 2,200 miles in a '70 VW bus, corgie in tow, up through California, over the Cascades, through Portland (saw and partook of Cistus Nursery) out to the coast near Tillamook, Neetarts Bay, 12 family/friends in a gorgeous beach house, very little friction, no fights, done with food as 'bug says. That's the short version -- you may now exhale ;>)

Around Neetarts Bay, orange crocosmias are weeds. An umbellifer, probaby Sweet Cicely, grows in the ditches with blackberries and Queen Anne's Lace. There was occasional ceanothus still in bloom. Cistus widely planted. Hydrangeas are everywhere and always blue, sometimes purply. There was a large-leaved polygonum/knotweed that had designs on ruling the plant world. That's the skim off the top of my head, but Oregon does seem to be plant-growing paradise.

o

Here's the song for anybody who wants to be taken back to the 70s.

Here is a link that might be useful: Convoy

o
RE: Idyll #330 how many??

Hey Denise, Deanne and I think you may be in contention for Idyller with the most containers. Count????

Sounds like a fun vacation! Welcome back.

Eden

o
RE: Idyll #330 Bone dry and tough as nails! Redux

Make that 13 days away, I was just reminded.

Hi, Eden. As far as pots, I'm a piker compared to you pros. I'd estimate under 40. I'll take a head count as I tend to the invalids. Lots survived but there are a few losses outside of the timer irrigation zone. One of my boys stayed home to start school, and did a great job with the cats and plants. I have to say that Convoy is completely off my cultural radar -- what a stunted life I've led!

o

We have a very pretty screen door on the front of the house. It has the old-fashioned method of closure, just a little spring loaded doohicky. You just push the door, no knob to turn. Rex mastered it in no time flat.

I retired to the security of the bedroom about 8-8:30 last night, helpmeet was watching the Kevin Spacey labor of love, "Beyond the Sea" (it's great) and dozing off on the couch. Evidently, the huge one decided to let himself out (helpmeet having forgotten to close the big door to prevent "AbsentWithOutLeash" activity). He was awakened by frenzied barking and several high-pitched, anguished animal cries. He flew down the stair and called Rex, who returned immediately and obviously stricken.

At that point I vaulted out of bed, rolling the sleeping cat (Vera) uncermoniously onto the floor. I raced down the stairs in my night attire, underpants (not lime green ones). I have little fear the imagination of the crew will cue up a nice visual of the dash down the stairs... . The helpmeet was examining Rex, fearfully looking for quills and oblivious to the slowly permeating smell of something akin to burnt rubber... .

Yup; SKUNKED. First time in my life I've ever had a pet skunked! Still clad only in underpants, I ordered the boy and his dog OUTDOORS and raced back up the stairs to Google "cleaning a skunked dog". I retireved the dog shampoo, rubber gloves, towels and presented them to the helpmeet. I stumbled to the spigot and hooked the watering wand to the hose and dragged that to the stricken cur (securely tied to the contractor's trailer...) and bolted back upstairs to put on a tee shirt and locate the remaining amount of "Skunk Kleen". And we washed the dog.

The helpmeet then located Mr. Skunkie, by the side of the road. To quell the rising smell he decided to put him a plastic bag and bury him in the morning... but Mr. Skunkie was still alive. We decided to call the cops and ask what to do with a wounded skunk in the road... cop arrived, rolled down the window and helpmeet said, "so this is the glamorous side of policework, huh?". The officer cracked up and they went to the site of Mr. Skunkie... no skunkie, but a pool of blood. No blood trail, and a careful search of the area revealed nothing. So we have no idea where he is now, or whether or not he's died somewhere nearby.

We do not know if he'd been hit by a car and Rex "discovered him" and was then sprayed or if he was contentedly scrounging around the gaHden and Rex discovered him, attacked him, and then was sprayed. What I do know is that my home still smells of skunk, the dog is going to receive a repeat of the neutralizer, and he is going to smell unpleasant for some time to come.

I hate dogs.

Eden, beautiful room!
Denise... have you seen "Little Miss Sunshine"? LOL, I'll never look at another VW bus the same way again.

o

Chelone, the same thing happened with Bud the first year we had him. Only it was Oct. and I was out in the cold at 10 pm washing my 130 lb. dog. I was so mad at him. Be warned Rex will smell of skunk on rainy or humid days for quite some time. I thought you were going to say that he hurt his leg again so the skunk story was a relief. I don't know about my room being beautiful but it's definitely a product of form following function. It's nice to have all of Bella's things in one contained area.

Denise, but you have 40 very cool pots! Deanne and I are just looking for someone else as addicted as we are, lol. So far Bella's good about putting her toys away but we haven't gotten into Legos or Barbie with all of her little shoes yet.

I didn't get a thing done in the garden today except watering. Not good.

Eden

o

Greetings Idyllers near and far
Remind me to tell you my skunk story sometime. Though there were no spraying incidents on large hateful dogs, it is quite a saga. Chelone, like Eden I read ahead to the end fearing some horrible calamity to Rexs person involving the vet and more surgical intervention. Perhaps a nice bottle of Channel #5 or Jungle Gardenia would help.

I worked from 6ish this morning till nearly 5:30 trying to get things in order before I was off on vacation. In the immortal worlds of the Wicked Witch of the West "What a world, what a world !!" I am now however officially on vaca and enjoying an adult beverage.

We are expecting 90-plus temps the next couple of days, so I will be glad to be heading north to relatively milder temps, though we have to drive through some god-awful heat pits (like Corning, Redding, Lake Shasta, ) to get there. Tomorrow I will water everything, move all pots to the shade and my neighbor will check on them while we are gone.

So, Eden I love what you have done with your Bella room. I especially enjoyed viewing the very spot you are sitting in when you post to us-assuming that is where you sit of course. I am responding in king, at the end of this post I am including a pic of my computer desk-where I sit when posting. I hope others will do the same-it would be fun to share and envision others posting environments . Your bookcases are great ! Kudos to Brad.. I counted 112 containers. That scares me.

Denise, welcome back from your travelswill you have photos to share ?? Hot damn, a 1970 VW bus- how many engines has it had ??? You are now the official Idylling Merry Prankster

Cynthia Good to hear from you ! How are the kids ? I wonder if that Kordes version of Aloha will be sold in the US under another name ? You are right, I dont think you can get it here now.

Deanne , I pretty much got a similar fridge to the one I had before, a good old Kenmore side-by-side, water and ice in the door. What I would really like is a freezer on the bottom, side by side combo, but they are ungodly expensive. I think I actually paid within 100 bucks for this fridge what we paid for the old one 15 years ago. My kitchen is very small , and needs a re-do but I fear it is not in the budget at this time.

T, I will wave at you as I approach the PNW !

OK , time to go---where is Marian, Mariann, and I dont think weve heard from Cindy for a few days ..? Hello to all those not mentioned, Ill post again tomorrow before my Bon Voyage.

Oh, by the way I could not help but notice the dialog about EP , she was before my time, would it be insensitive of me to ask where she went and why she no longer posts here ? Does she lurk ? It sounds like she was a valued contributor to the group.

OK, ta ta for now, and here is my writing spot !

o

EP has departed this world, Kathy. And now her partner has, too. She was a lovely person and her presence is still missed.

Have a great vacation. So, that's where you hang out and type the late night missives that make me chuckle before the sun rises here in Maine... very pleasant.

Rex is still pretty "strong". I returned home with more anti-skunk goop and he received another "treatment". As soon as he was wet with it he began to stink again. I can't wait for the next rainy stretch. LOL I think perfume would make matters worse... kinda like "air freshener" in a bathroom. What's worse, -hit? or -hit and perfume? Know what I mean? :)

Off to my most recent "life sentance", shaped bolsters for a big sport fishing boat. Prodgress has been glacial on them. And then a joined cushion for a chaise... with inner spring inserts. A favorite of mine.

o

Good morning all,

We are in for another really lovely day here and Im hoping to be able to finish my rock edging at the back of the house. Im pretty pleased because there is still quite a bit of interest in the borders for this late in the season. That Nora Leigh phlox is gorgeous right now. Ill have to snap a few pics today. The containers are still looking great and the fuchsias are all starting to put on another flush of bloom after I pruned them a few weeks ago. Its hard to believe this season is almost over. Seems I blinked my eyes and the gardens went from tulips to asters in a week.

Chelone, Oooooo noooooo!!!! Skunked??!!!! So sorry, what a pain in the patootie. Rahjii was sprayed last fall and really got nailed right in the face. At least a dog is used to having a bath. It was a bear to get the cat cleaned up. That de-skunk stuff does work pretty well though. Im curious as to how you expressed your opinion about the door being left open to your helpmeet? LOL So, no lime green panties? Te he.

Kathy, what a lovely office space! It looks like your walls are the same color as Eden and Bellas room. ~~ "My kitchen is very small , and needs a re-do but I fear it is not in the budget at this time." Me too we were supposed to renovate the kitchen when we did our addition in 2000 but ran out of $$$ and now Im refusing to borrow money to do it. I want to save up to fix it and thats taking time. Hopefully one of these years well be able to re do it.

Yea, Denise is back! How cool is that you have a 1970 VW bus? We had one for years and put one new engine in it but it finally rusted beyond repair. One of the problems with living in this clime is the salt on the roads in winter. ~~ Please email me with address and invoice so I can pay for my wonderful San. Here is a pic of the pot I found for it

Eden, I just love the room and what efficient use of the space you have! Perfect! I especially love all those built in book cases and the plant shelves on the window sills.

Wendy, I ROTFLOL over your being happy not to be the person to do the "fatal flush". You really are too funny. So you think there are gremlins in the sewer system? Could it be crocodiles? ~~ First day of school was here yesterday. It does seem strange for them to be starting school before Labor Day.

OK so whats blooming in your gardens right now? How about we share some pics of our late season highlights?

Have a great day
Deanne

o

I love all the inspired home decorating - wish my place looked like that!! Maybe this weekend, some attempt can be made....LOL or not.

I've been somewhat tied up w/ Alpha Dog attempts by the visiting black cocker taking over the House of Chloe. My friend returned to SC to try to evict the Snake and get some other things under legal control. So I've been dog-sitting and attempting to get us into a routine of sorts, but experience new delights every day w/ gate jumping, hygiene decorating, etc. Visiting friend Biscuit decided after about 4 days she was comfortable enuf to start testing my limits - so Im not sure who's ruling the roost at present.... tiring but not boring. Maybe I should have been reviewing more of the dog xperts advice here.... Poor Chloe is very depressed by the whole situation.

Things are also terribly hectic at the ofc as well as estate issues re Mom, so I find I've had little time to relax and idyll.

Im sorry I missed your birthday, V -- I even took a photo last nite especially but havent downloaded yet -- hopefully tonite.

On the family front, it appears my Dad may now need a hip replacement -- aaargh... Im sure he's not enthused and selfishly neither am I... he sees a specialist next week to get a prognosis. ifen it's not one thing, it's another, right?

Chelone - I meant to tell you I loved the list of conifers you bought at your nursery last week -- I am very fond of them and look forward to seeing your specimens once they're in their homes! Can't wait. Sounds like things are rolling (pun intended, ?) along on the painting and other acts relating to garage completion?

EEEuuuu, skunked - had a dog experience w/ that once -- never to be forgotten.

I just love those pics of your room, Kathy, and yours Eden - what wonderful, compact, Organized spaces. My place is in such disarray from visitors, personal mess, and other relative storage -- I really hope to do some sorting this weekend -- along with finally getting back into the gardens to do some real work. I've had a bunch of daylily orders sitting to be planted for 3 weeks now....

Deanne - I love that new pot for the San - I can't believe you guys & the # of pots - I find it hard to believe you only have 100!!!!

Well, just wanted to pop in & say hi - Im following along when I can.

--Cindy

o

Mornin'!

Well I've not had a chance to even check out my gardens in over a week. I'm hoping to do so in a day or so because DD wants to learn about late blooming plants that are over 24" tall. She's already spotted 3 hostas she likes here.

Yesterday we all went shopping and got haircuts and bought birthday gifts fort our friend's 61st birthday. Drove to Toronto to celebrate and swim in their pool. Everyone is happy but tired. Only 3 more days with DSIL and DGS before they head off to Manitoba for business and a visit with friends. DD stays here with Reed and the dog for another week before joining DSIL there.

You know, being a grandmother would be even harder work if DSIL wasn't such a great cook and so full of fun! :)

I wouldn't dare post a photo of my computer area these days. I wanted to post my perfect anti skunk scent formula once more, but no time to type it out. Perhaps later tonight. Yes, Charlotte really needed it once. Fortunately ONLY once.

Last night before bed time baby Reed learned that an ear piercing scream gets attention!

Off to start the day. May yours be a very happy one.
'bug

o

Mornin Folks, here I am with an uncharacteristic AM (pacific time!) post.It's going to be near triple digits today here-and sounds like similar action down Denises way too. I'm watering away already.
LOL Chelone, bathroom air freshener. And by the way, I concur with Cindy on your plant list, I just love conifers , though I have very few, all dwarfs. My BILs have a wonderful collection on the terraced garden in the front of thier house, I'll have to take a pic of it while I'm up there later this week. What if you planted really tall annuals in between them as a temporary summer tourist screen while they are attaining size ? Like Castor bean , sunflowers and the like ? How sad re: EP.

What a great pot Deanne ! My Nora Leigh is done for for the year, In fact I started deadheading her last weekend. Shes becoming engulfed by marauding asters.

Hi Cindy, poor Chloe being displaced by that upstart visitor. Glad your friend is taking some action, I hope all goes well for her..Of course I tidied up the desk before taking a pic ! You wouldn't want to look in the drawers.

Cute baby shot 'bug (as usual!)...

OK , gotta start trip prep. I'll check in later..
Kathy in Napa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here