Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Farrow cloister

Do you remember the pictures I posted earlier in the summer on the day of the local gardenn tour when I got Randy to take some pitures of the gothic arbour at a local church? We were walking around town today and stopped in so I could see it for myself. It has a name - Farrow cloister - and has been there longer than I remembered - since 1993!

{{gwi:175214}}
{{gwi:175217}}

It's surprising that we've never stopped in before because it's right on 'the main drag'. Looking in from the street:

{{gwi:175219}}

And looking out at the street:

{{gwi:175221}}

From looking at it passing by in the car, I had assumed that the vines were all wisteria. There is certainly wisteria, but what was putting on a big show today was the dreaded Trumpet vine!

{{gwi:175224}}
{{gwi:175227}}

There was also climbing hydrangea that was just finishing blooming:

{{gwi:175230}}

There were several clematises but only this one had flowers:

{{gwi:175233}}

There was also roses, honeysuckle, silverlace vine, Dutchman's pipe, euonymus, Virginia Creeper on the church walls - and probably a few more! It rather looked like someone planted every posible hardy vine!

It was a nice peaceful spot with benches to sit on under the arbour. A little jewel of a garden!

Comments (12)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Someone put great thought into this spot. It appears simple and tasteful...and that is often hard to achieve!

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

The metal work is so appropriate. I had the same thought that you did when I was reading the list of vines. I guess there should be something going on all the time that way. The trumpet vine sure is pretty though. Funny how things can be right under our nose and we don't notice them.

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Isn't it fun to find a secret place that has been under your nose all along - that's how I feel about the cemetary with the mysterious tower on the edge of our town.

I think it will be neat for you to observe each vine...I'm thinking Michelle's theory is right: something will be going on all the time.

I love the structures and how they mimic the windows.

Saucy

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Thanks for the visit Woody. I really enjoyed it. I loved seeing both the architecture and the greenery!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Wonderful photo gallery Woody, thanks for sharing
    Deanne

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

How did I miss this over the weekend? What a lovely little spot. Places like that seem magical when no one else is around-like a wonderful secret garden just there for you to find.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Back in August I had e-mailed the church asking for more information about the garden. I never heard anything back - until today when this was in my inbox:

"I am going through all of my files and came upon an e-mail you sent in August, via our website. I was on vacation at the time so I am not certain if anyone got back to you. In any case, I thought that I would send you a quick reply.

IâÂÂm so glad that you have discovered our âÂÂKnox Memorial Garden and Farrow CloisterâÂÂ. It really is a beautiful little spot. Mr. George Farrow is a member of our Church and he was the architect that designed the Garden, with his parents as the first people whose cremated remains were interred in the Memorial Garden section. Their generosity, in large part, was what made the creation of the Garden possible. The area with low hedges and a little tree in the middle, is the part of the garden when peopleâÂÂs remains are interred. The key factor is that the ashes are poured directly into the earth, with no containers present in any form.

Your suggestion of having something about the Garden on the website is a good suggestion, and when we get back to having an active webmaster, I will pass along your comments.

Inside the church we have a cabinet where the Memorial Book is displayed, and everyone buried in the Garden has their name inscribed in the book. Each month we turn the page and listed therein, are the names of the people buried in the Garden, according to the month in which they died."

Very interesting....

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I'm pleased they eventually replied. Might make sense to go inside for a visit some time...

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, gb, I'll have to check it out...

This is the picture Randy took of the Memorial Garden section on the day of the tour:
    {{gwi:175237}}

In my reply to the church lady I suggested they put the garden on the garden tour next year. It would be a good way to give the garden more exposure - there's usually 700+ tickets sold for the tour. I'll bet there are a lot of people like us who have walked by the garden for years and never knew it was there.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Woody, I love that idea of just putting the ashes in the earth! That is what I would like. Thanks for the update. It really is a lovely spot.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

How interesting! I've told Rick just to spread my ashes over the gardens. It only makes sense to me.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

We have some of Reed's ashes right here at the farm. I was so touched that his parents felt they belonged here.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner