Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_zone4

The Potager

michelle_zone4
13 years ago

A look at what's going on in the Potager.

{{gwi:175314}}

{{gwi:175315}}

{{gwi:175316}}

{{gwi:175318}}

{{gwi:175319}}

{{gwi:175320}}

{{gwi:175321}}

{{gwi:175322}}

{{gwi:175323}}

Comments (15)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Michelle, I'd love to have a cardoon next summer! Remind me!

Now you're the person to ask about how to keep weeds from between the bricks on a path! How do you do it?

Your sages and nasturtiums are lovely. Those last nasturtiums have wonderful mixed hues. Do you ever add them to salads?

Mightily impressed!!

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Bravo!!!! how fabulous Michelle, I really love the corn 'fence'! how neat. and beautiful nasturtiums, and zinnias and sages and everything! What a beautiful garden Michelle, many thanks for taking the time to share these

Deanne

• saucydog
    13 years ago

So much to take in! I love the little vine on the arbor - is it a bean? I too like the corn used as a wall to the potager.

I can't grow nasturtiums and have them look like anything! Yours are beautiful.

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Love it, love it, love it Michelle ! Outstanding photos and a beautiful garden. Two thumbs up from the left coast..

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Amazing, Michelle - it all looks so artful, and lush - I too love the placement of the corn and I dont see a weed in sight! What a great cutting area too. You've really planned it so well -- I can't get over how lovely it is!!

Thanks for posting - it's going to be something to keep coming back to admire.

-Cindy

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

It all looks so nice Michelle. I really like those last Nasturtiums too. I'm curious about the wire cages. What they are made from and whats in them.
    Norma

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

'bug, as you will notice that since I used all old bricks, they aren't placed all that tightly. I have old carpet underneath the paths and sand between the bricks. So anything that grows can pulled up quite easily. I have used the nasturtiums occasionally.

Norma, the wire cages are for the tomatoes. They were used in the days of ear corn and corn shelling to make tunnels for aerating and loading the corn. If that makes any sense. They are very sturdy and are great in the garden. I wish I had more.

Saucy, the vine is a bean called Painted Lady vine.

As you notice I like to plant things that are interesting and most are edible. In fact just tonight I read that the Painted Lady vine flowers are edible. Visitors are usually quite entertained by my veggie garden. Men seem to like it much more than the other garden areas.

Thanks for joining me.

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Michelle your potager looks perfect! Everything is so lush and beautiful, really good design too.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Very impressive indeed! With all the heat and humidity this summer, how on earth have you kept it so neat and tidy znd weed-free?! I'd melt if I had to maintain a big veggie garden in these conditions :-)

Bravo!

• flowerluvr
    13 years ago

It's wonderful, Michelle! Jim has taken over the growing of veggies. I'll have to make sure he sees these pictures. He seems intrigued by edible flowers. He always gave me an odd look about that kind of thing, but lately he's seen flowers added to salads on the Food Network, so it's okay ;) Thanks for sharing your creativity!!

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woody, you can see in the first picture the dried grass mulch. I lay newspapers down with grass clippings over it after the plants start coming up. Also, it isn't really all that large and you can see that the rows are really close together. I've gotten it to where it isn't terribly hard to care for.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Oh my oh my oh my! What a pretty garden. You certainly have a gift for placement! Perfect.

• defrost49
    13 years ago

Very lovely. What is the barrier between the yellow marigolds and the lawn? I too love the colors of your nasturtiums. Is that bloody sorrel? Did you grow it from seed?

Thank you for sharing your garden pictures.

• candy_j
    13 years ago

Michelle, I have a feeling your community will be featuring this potager in the local paper soon! It really is beautifully planted. Not sure how many years youÂve had it but, this kind of perfection must take several seasons to achieve. What an inspiration for anyone hoping to have one of their own!

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

De Frost, the whole garden is edged in old bricks. The picture below shows better the hardscape of the garden. Yes, that is bloody sorrel, which is a horrible name ;o) and I did grow it from seed. Everything is from seed except the tomaotes and peppers.

Candy, I've had this garden like for about 4 years would be my guess. The memory is fading LOL
    {{gwi:175324}}