Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enid Haupt Garden at the Smithsonian

Posted by deanneart z5Southern NH (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 16:32

We had a lovely walk through this beautiful garden on Sunday with Cindy. What a treat! So many beautiful and beautifully grown specimen plants. Great place to see when in DC.

Lovely blooming Sanchesia - so that's what my flowers will look like!

Love this Ginger!

What a great elephant ear.

They had this beautiful variegated acalypha planted throughout the gardens but I couldn't find a tag to see what the varietal name was.

Would love to find this Caladium

and this Sansevieria

Check out the size of the trunk on this Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi'

Hope you enjoyed the tour!
Deanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enid Haupt Garden at the Smithsonian

Oh I certainly did!

Doug looks concerned that your Charles Grimaldi will reach that size and that he'll still need to take it indoors for the winter....!

Way back in 1967-8 I lived in Georgetown. I would have enjoyed it far more if I didn't have my job though. ;)

o

I loved this tour...thank you for sharing! I liked that ginger, too.

What is the first plant shown, do you know?

Saucy

o

What dramatic vignettes in this garden..and all that brick ! We just don't get that out here in earthquake country. That Charles G. may have a nice gentleman posing under it but it can't hold a candle to yours bloomwise Deanne! Great pics and enjoyed the gallery link on FB too. I love roadtrips !

Kathy in Napa

o

Well, I mean what is that plant in the second picture after the sign :)

o

Saucy, that is a Sanchezia speciosa. I have one here that is budding up at the moment. You can get some cuttings if you'd like. I rooted one this spring. Great plant but it gets pretty large. I don't know where I'm going to put mine this winter.

Deanne

o

What fun! Such neat plants and all so generous in size. I agree about their brug vs. yours - where's the flowers? It is impressive though. A sure bet that they have a greenhouse. Thanks for the pictures.

Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here