Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

It;s Fuchsia Time

deanneart
14 years ago

Well the fuchsias are all coming into bloom finally and are providing a lot of visual interest in the gardens. Barring any disasters they should have flowers from now until I cut them all back in the fall. This time of the year when many of the perennials are finishing up these lovelies provide a big splash of color. WhatÂs not to love?

ÂBeacon and ÂBeacon RosaÂ

{{gwi:175356}}

{{gwi:175357}}

{{gwi:175358}}

ÂBeaconÂ

{{gwi:175359}}

ÂLenaÂ

{{gwi:175360}}

{{gwi:175362}}

ÂSwanley YellowÂ

{{gwi:175364}}

{{gwi:175365}}

ÂChristina is huge this year and absolutely smothered with buds. It will be fantastic in another week.

{{gwi:175367}}

{{gwi:175370}}

And of course the ÂBeacon Rosa standard is putting on a show

{{gwi:175373}}

ÂClaire de LuneÂ

{{gwi:175377}}

This beauty didnÂt have a tag so IÂve not clue as to the variety

{{gwi:175380}}

Deanne

Comments (14)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I don't have to pick a favourite I hope! Maybe Claire de Lune!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I do so love fuchsias ! Deanne, do you have a 'pinching regimen'?This is a really lame question, because I know you of course do , but for example with Christina , was she cutting grown , and if so how many cuttings did you put in the pot ? If she was over wintered intact do you pinch after so many sets of leaves ? Really spectacular.

Thanks for the eye-candy !

Kathy in Napa

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Not even at nurseries have I seen fuchsias as gorgeous as these! Deanne, surely you must have ideal lighting conditions to grow such a profusion of blooms and every one a perfect, delicate beauty!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Your collection and their size is absolutely incredible! I love all the pinks, especially the white urn with 'Lena' and others. Thanks for sharing the beauty.

Michelle

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Amazing - the collection gets more incredible each year, Deanne. Im particularly fond of that standard - stunning without any extra. But then Christina and its extra frills makes me giggle - she's so flamboyant....

I particularly like the beacon w/ the dahlia and begonia below it -- you have incorporated them all into the borders so amazingly.

Thanks for taking the time (and the care and love you provide to those plants) to share these stunners with us.

-Cindy

• blondiesc
    14 years ago

Gorgeous flowers and photography! I love them all but especially the 3rd photo. Wow! You make me want to give fuschias another try.

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! So happy you enjoyed my fuchsias.

Kathy, yes, I do pinch A LOT. For instance, since you mentioned 'Christina', the plant was originaly a purchase in a hanging basket. I didn't do this one from cuttings although I pinch the cuttings the same way. I've had it several years now and this is it's third summer in that urn. When I bring it up out of dormancy it comes into the garage and I let the plant put on about six inches of new growth, then I pinch all the new growth back to two to four leaves. Let that grow to six inches or so and do the same thing. I keep pinching them up until the end of June to beginning of July. It delays the blooming but gives me profuse bloom and bushy plants. And of course then need lots of food bo put out that many flowers.

Deanne

• marcindy
    14 years ago

Hi Deanne - Your fuchsia pictures are incredible. I can't wait to get Beacon and Beacon Rosa to train as standards! :-) I have a question though - I really like the Christina fuchsia, but I can't find it in any of the online nursery catalogs. Do you recall where you got yours? Could Christina be just part of the fuchsia's name? Thanks for your help.
    Marc

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Marc, I bought 'Christina' from a nursery several years ago and that was the name on the tag in the container so its the only name I have for it. Another variety that is very similar to Christina is 'Winston Churchill'. It has the same type flowers but the colors are just a bit deeper in color.

Deanne

• marcindy
    14 years ago

Thanks Deanne - I put Winston on my shopping list... :-)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Deannart you have some lovely, well grown Fuchsias, you have the magic touch.

Fuchsias have been one of my passions for many years, back in the 80's I had approximately 350 varieties in my collection. This is the first year I haven't grown any at all. Our mail order sources in Canada have dried up and even in the garden centers it's hit and miss if they are labeled with the right name.

Claire de Lune was one of my favorites, but I really like the WALZ varieties like WALZ Haarp and WALZ Polka, then the triphyllas, especially Mantilla and Trumpeter both hanging basket varieties.

At this stage of the game I'd still like to grow a few if I could find some of the nicer varieties locally. Storing 60 hanging basket varieties plus all the uprights was getting to be too much work, the greenhouse was so jam packed I could hardly move in it.

If I could just keep it down to a dozen favorites I'd still have them but you know how it goes with addictions, all it takes is one and you're off and running again LOL.

Talking about Winston Churchill, that is one variety no matter what I tried wouldn't winter for me.

Then there's the flat faced types like Thamar, it looks like a little pansy and then the novelty types like Pussycat.

Being it was getting so hard to find other than to old standbys I didn't have the room to grow mine into decent specimens just keep 4" pots going so as not to lose the variety. IMHO, the one exception in the old standbys, Swingtime is still the best red and whites ever.

Hopefully Fuchsias will come back in favor soon, before some of these beautiful varieties are lost to us forever.

Annette

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Deanne - there can be nothing more beautiful in the fall than your fuchsias. What a treat to have all your hard work pay off with such a stunning display. And a treat for us to be able to share them too. How old is your oldest plant?

Mary

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I love the pot with Lena in it and the standard Beacon Rosa. I imagine they are all put away by now. Hope you are having a productive and interesting fall. :-)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your fuchsias! My favorite are Beacon and Christina. I try to get one every year, but I am not successful keeping them. Some years are better than others. I think I just can't get the watering right or maybe they don't like our hot, humid summers here in northern VA. My best year was a cool rainy summer and the fuchsia was spectacular. Never have been successful at overwintering them. Still, yours inspire me to keep trying. Thanks for posting all those pics!

Cynthia

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm