Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian_2

On my way home.... pics

Marian_2
17 years ago

Some asked for pics of the neighborhood goats...

At first they were all laying down:

{{gwi:175561}}
Curiousity was getting to them:

{{gwi:175562}}
Maybe there is some food here?

{{gwi:175563}}
Some are out in the road:

{{gwi:175564}}

And a pic of the lightning struck Hickory tree...

{{gwi:175565}}
It was a huge tree.

Comments (20)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

LOL, Marian, how funny. I love the second picture-the way they're all looking at you so expectantly. What ever happened with that neighbor/relative of yours who put the fence up in the middle of the road? These pictures just reminded me of that episode.

Sue

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That IS the neighbor/cousin's goats,( the one that put up the fence). That is the fence-in-the-road. There are at least 3 dozen goats in there! And there are almost always at least a few outside the fence. The pup is the 'watch-dog'. It was only a 'tiny' puppy when first put there. I was so afraid it would be ran over, but it seems to be adjusting well.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Those goats are pretty cute Marian. They look like they are looking to you for a handout. LOL

When was that tree struck by lightening? Pretty scary. HOw close is that to your house?

Deanne

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deanne, it is about a mile from us. The clab of thunder that accompanied the strike was right over us. I almost jumped out of my skin!
    The goats 'were' "looking for a handout". Their owners take them food...I suppose at least once a day. I think it is so pitiful that they are surrounded with green, but it is either too high to reach, or outside the fenced-in area. I don't blame them for getting out. Occasionally the cousin cuts down trees for them to browse on.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Thats interesting Marian. I've always thought goats were cute. I wouldn't even have noticed the pup had you not said that. Talk about rocks, WOW, I bet some rock gardeners out there would love to have accsess to that field. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I thought that was a dog in the third pic. So the fence(and goats) are still in the road, huh?

Sue

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Norma, some fields near here are even rockier than that ! Fortunately the spot we chose to build on wasn't like that.
    I think the kids are cute, but some of the adults aren't...:-)

The pup is probably a Great Pyrenees, so will be larger than the goats when full grown. They have other dogs that were supposed to be 'goat dogs', but were very disinterested with the job. I guess growing one up with them will be more satisfactory.

Yes, Sue , both the fence and the goats are still in the road! It 'is' sort of interesting, but also annoying.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Marian, what a great picture thread. The goats are quite cute. I saw the dog right away and did a double take to make sure he wasn't a kid goat. Your new camera works well.

Michelle

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi Marian

I've always enjoyed goats and those are particularly cute. Their faces are so expressive. Friends of ours own a couple the children enjoy seeing them, even though the male likes to butt. Hope no one has got into a fender bender having them in the road like that.

Thank you for sharing those. I agree, the camera takes great photos!

Mary

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL... I just discovered that I typed "clab" when I ment "clap", of thunder.
    As far as I know, nobody has been butted by a billy. I would be leary of getting out of my car if one was out in the road.
    I wish I had got a pic of the newly born kids. They are espacially cute.
    They were all bleating at me when I took the pics.

Deanne, I failed to answer your question as to when the tree was struck. It was about 3 weeks ago. The leaves stayed green for a couple of weeks, but are turning brown now. It is about 40-50 feet off the county road.

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Marian, what sweet little faces those goats have. They're so glad to see you! There's quite a herd of them there. Thanks for taking the time to share these with us. I love seeing what pictures of what it's like where other Idyllers live.

Eden

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Marian, Had to post a few words to you. I'm also an ARK OZARKS Would swear we were next door neighbors with the same goats and road fence but know everyone on this road and don't know your yard or name and you have more white goats than does my neighbor. The goats would be a hazard but one can't drive faster than abt 20 mph on this road anyway.
    Your pictures are beautiful. I love daylilies too and live on 30 acres of hardwoods next to national forest in northern Johnson county.
    Am having trouble getting my e-mail since an e-mail update so am not getting most of my e-mail.
    but keep track of forums here.
    This has turned into a letter. My neighbor has a mule with his goats. Please don't tell me yours
    does too.
    vickie

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Vickie! You must be close to Clarksville. I go that way on my way to Little Rock.
    Thanks for your kind comments, and "letter". :-)

No, no mule with the goats, but three or four dogs. I usually drive about 15 mph on the dirt roads. I don't want to damage the front-end drive on my car. We have 2 miles of dirt. We have 20 wooded acres, and are not far from the Buffalo National River area.

Marian

Why don't you join us on the Idyll threads?

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Hi Marian,
    Am abt 2mi from head of Buffulo river. Clarksville is where i shop. Is this the ldll threads. Sounds like a great place to be. Just found this the other night. and spent 2 hours here laughing,crying along with all of you. Would love to join you. Am just a simple person. grew up in small town. my DH was a country boy(both from Ark) and i fell in love with country life immediately.
    We lived all over too but retired to Ozarks.
    My oldest daughter was born at Ft.Belvoir, Va in 1960. My youngest at Ft.Devans Mass. in 1964.
    Vickie

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Vickie, if you have read enough 'here' you know I was at Ft Belvoir in 1952, as my first husband was based there.

The Idyll threads are a part of this Conversation forum. It is open to all, just as the rest of the forum is. As you can see, it is approaching it's 300th thread! I 'joined' this group about 4 years ago. ( I think..... ) It is a great bunch. For awhile 'we' had 3 men posting with us, but they semmed to have lost interest.

Do you garden? Gardening and pets are some of our closest interests, but we discuss all aspects of our lives....after all, it IS the Off-Topic Conversation site.

Welcome!

Marian

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention...on our way to worship yesterday morning we saw a mule/donkey with a herd of goats, in a pasture above the highway. I thought of what you said. :-)

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

Cute goats Marian. I'm curious, why does he keep them? Does he use them for their milk, or just to keep the grass down? It's too bad that they are so close to the road and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Hi Vickie. I hope you'll join us on the Idyll threads, too. Usually the word Idyll is on the tydll (title) of the thread. We come from all walks of life and yet share a common interest in gardening. We share slices of our lives and many do wonderful Birthday cards for one another. :) Hope to see you on the Idylls threads.

Yeona

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeona, they are just brush goats, but they have mutiplied to where there are more than the fenced in area can support! We are all wondering about him. :-(

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Hi again, went to a family reunion in SE Okla. than had a bunch of have to fall cleaning to do.
    Marian, I saw you had been at Ft. Belvoir thats why i mentioned it. is'nt it a small world. Before my DH passed 2 yrs ago we always had a large garden. We were into heirloom veggies and i had my flowers mentioned on "MY PAGE". I tried to plant a garden by myself but could,nt by myself. So ijust keep up my flowers and add one or two things a year. Added a few tulip bulbs this fall. My daughter lives next door. I have 2 rescued dogs,a small chihuahua-pug mix named cricket. She was kept locked in a room by herself most of the time. and a hound-blue heeler mix i got from the pound as a very tiny puppy that my vet said probably would,nt live. But he was a fighter and now weighs 50 lbs. He is a very gentle loving dog named Dillen,After Matt Dillen.How many times did Matt fight his way back to life after near death. For all you Gunsmoke fans. It's fun watching the 2 dogs play and little Cricket usually rules the day,she's so fast and can outmaneuver Dillen.
    i'm thinking abt taking up crocheting again. use to do it alot but havent in abt 10 yrs.made afghans,houseshoes and christmas ornaments.
    vickie

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Vickie, are you in my age range? I will be 74 next month.
    What a blessing to have a daughter living next door.
    We have never had a dog, but lots of cats. Have 4 now. Two that we let indoors.
    Yes, I sure do remember Matt Dillen. We always watched Gunsmoke. Neat name for the dog.

Marian

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm