Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

IUVI The Sequel to the Sequel

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

Our last day together found us on a scenic field trip to White Flower Farm. I think we all agreed that the catalog was a source of education and inspiration in our novice gardening days.Les and Monique are regular customers at the annual tent sale there, and noticed that some of the borders were gone-no doubt victims of budget and staff cuts.

30% off pottery signs always attract attention
{{gwi:175574}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
{{gwi:175575}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

The main border was huge, and chock full of fabu combos
{{gwi:175576}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
{{gwi:175577}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
{{gwi:175578}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Cindy takes color coordination to a new level
{{gwi:175579}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
{{gwi:175580}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Mary and I pretended we didn't know Dahlias have no scent !
{{gwi:175581}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Off to Les and Moniques ! What a great garden ..fabulous conifers and shrubs and artfully placed objects to accent the colors and plant combinations. They have (to my eyes) a gigantic lot , flat with lots of sun. They have certainly made the most of it !

Isn't the door great ?
{{gwi:175582}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
{{gwi:175583}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
{{gwi:175584}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009
{{gwi:175585}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Sue unwraps her WFF purchase
{{gwi:175586}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Some hummingbird activity catches Moniques eye
{{gwi:175587}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

And the food ! No pics of that I'm afraid...

Kathy in Napa

Comments (10)

• deanneart
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

More fabulous photos Kathy!!! Isn't WWF wonderful? I really loved that long border. So much to see and so many fantastic combinations. I really want to get back there at different seasons to see how those combos change over time.

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Wonderful pics Kathy!!! You captured those amazing begonias and Cindy's shirt perfectly. Did you buy one yet Deanne? I'm so glad I had a chance to stay on for the sequel, it was a total feast for the eyes and stomach (Les and Monitue's beautifully maturing gardens were matched only by the incredible edibles). Mucho thanks Les and Monique!!!

Mary

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Definitely a Wow! place... anyone got more pictures...?

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol Woody, I took almost 900 photos on this trip, and would have taken more if my memory card hadn't filled on the last day.

Kathy in Napa

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Lol! Funny you said that Kathy...I've always thought the same thing...what an education the WWF catalog was for me when I first started learning about gardening. The pictures were wonderful and the catalog packed with great information.

I would have loved to have been there for many reason, but also so I could get some of their begonia and dahls...LOL! I'm always afraid to order them from the catalog because I don't think you can get the same size as there at the farm? So...did anybody leave with packages besides Sue?! :-) BTW love your purchase Sue..is it a piece of iron sculpture? Very cool!

LOL about Cindy...she is perfectly co-ordinated and may I say just a lovely as the begonias...you have such a sweet smile Cindy!

And what a ttreat to see Les & Moniques place again...I *love* her purple schemes...you do it so great Monique! That door is just the perfect shade of purple...what an eye you have!

Eileen

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This was the other purchase at WFF Ei, I focused on the tag so I could remember the name- I need one of these and hope it can be found locally. They had two left, Sue and Cindy snatched them up as I recall.
    {{gwi:175588}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

The begonias are the Brit cultivars WFF has had in te catalog for years--Blackney and Langdon ? or something like that ...I beleive they have an exclusive in the US so are able to charge the $$$ prices-no one else has them. Maybe it's time to check Ebay ! Deanne was on the verge of buying one... I have no doubt she will do so eventually ! {{gwi:175589}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

The Dahlia border.. {{gwi:175590}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

• deanneart
    14 years ago

More fabulous pictures Kathy! What a great day that was. I almost took a drive to CT yesterday! LOL I can see a begonia in my future.
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I used to get the WWF catalogs, and was sure their nursery was beautiful, and your pics definitely prove it! Those Begonias are just plain scrumptious!
    Once again, thanks Kathy for all your wonderful pics. For those of us who could not be there, it is second best. :-)

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Les and Monique your garden looks so nice in pictures. I can only imagine what fun it is to explore in person.

Thanks Kathy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Really sorry to have missed Les & Monique's gardens this time. (And their food too! Cute wine glasses!)