Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian_2

Preparations for winter and more...

Marian_2
17 years ago

Most of you remember my efforts at making a lasagne bed last spring. I dragged 12 long boards from Nolon's slab pile to the old garden spot. I arranged then into two long beds, and filled them with leaves and compost. Well... I never did get back to them, and they rather 'went to pot', so to speak. Yesterday I told Nolon he could cut the boards into fire wood. Enough said...he jumped at the chance! :-)

Here is the results:

{{gwi:175867}}

{{gwi:175868}}

{{gwi:175869}}

{{gwi:175870}}

{{gwi:175871}}

{{gwi:175873}}

{{gwi:175874}}

{{gwi:175875}}

{{gwi:175878}}

{{gwi:175880}}

{{gwi:175881}}

{{gwi:175883}}

Today he hauled the board-wood to the woodshed. I should have took pics of that operation also. :-)

His sawhorses were in two parts. ( He built them just for the slab wood.) After he finished this job, he remodeled the 'horses' into one unit. He joking said he would probably have to get the cousin with his tractor loader to move it. :-)

When the weather cools and the ground is wet, I will pull all the stakes from around the beds. If my ambition returns, I think I will move the compost to a location that doesn't require so much mowing around. My 'gardening eyes' were bigger than my abilities...lol.

More pics to follow.

The deer haven't been seen in that 'pasture' since I mowed.

Marian

Comments (19)

• just_t
    17 years ago

what a hard worker Nolon still is....thanks for the photos showing that area and what changes you are making.

T.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Big boys love their toys! It's nice to get jobs finished though, don't you think?
    We have too many jobs on our list at the moment, but eventually things will get done.
    I hope you can figure out how to protect your deck container plants. That spot is no doubt more convenient to maintain than those others!

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Boy that was a big job! I'll bet when that grass returns to that area it is taller and more lush than the grass around it unless you move the compost. Do you have some gardens you can top dress with it?

Like Marie, I hope you can figure out a way to keep the critters off your deck and out of your lovely plants.

Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I think thia is the second time I've seen a bum shot of Nolon this week...lol. Maybe some of his industrious attitude will rub off on Tom today because I have a list of projects as long as my arm. Thanks for the photo journal, Marian!

Sue

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good for Nolan! Can I borrow him???? LOL

Don't give up on that bed, yet, Marian. Pop some black plastic or newspapers or something over the area and stick a shrub or two in there. Dirt's too good to just abandon!!

Martie

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, all! Yes Nolon is still working hard with the firewood. I am impressed that he can still do that, and he enjoys it.
    Here is the front and back of the woodshed right now. You can see the slab wood that he added yesterday.

{{gwi:175886}}

{{gwi:175887}}

And the piles awaiting to be hauled to the shed:

{{gwi:174349}}

I am wondering how uncomfortable it will be to carry that slabwood indoors. Since Nolon is no longer wheezing ( due to his inhalers), he may be able to carry it in. I did it last winter. The main problem for us both is the 4 steps up to get into the house.It is difficult enough without an arm full of wood. Oh well, we will "burn that bridge when we get to it" LOL

Marian

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Marian, this is such a very cool thread. I have visions of someone's grandchild in 30 years saying:

"and ... here's a pic of my grandmothers/father's friend's DH piling wood in 2006.... isn't it a treasure..."

Because it is.

Martie

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Martie, one of the good things about this is that the trees that Nolon cuts are ones that are already dying, and the slab wood from the mill is destined to be piled up and burned, except for what the neighbors are cutting up for firewood. Nolon isn't the only one nearby that is benefitting from this. Several loads have gone to neighbors, and more will go. Although I prefer the round wood, I appreciate that Nolon is not out in the woods cutting down a tree. Although he has always been very good at doing that, he is not getting around as well as he used to.
    I am afraid, if I do not get another means of saving these pics, the great grandchildren will never see them. :-(
    I am thinking of getting a printer. Any suggestions?

Marian

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

As I was going through photos for DD's wedding I had to scan them all into the computer. That's the way it will be I think. DD is 30 now and all the photos were off color already. Saving them on the computer means they'll be just fine for years to come. Just make sure Tim knows where they are kept so he can access them. No need to print them at all.
    In the meantime, perhaps you could begin emailing your grand daughters fairly regularly. You could attach photos to your "letters" just as you do for us and they'd learn a bit about the family that way. Or just pictures of the cats and critters if that interests them more at this stage. Often kids only become interested in family history once they get married.

• Susy
    17 years ago

Good morning-

I am making a Memory Book for my youngest daughter. I had some pics on the computer I wanted to use and uploaded them to Wal-Mart.com photo center into an album. I then picked the photos I wanted to order. I had them sent to our local Wal-Mart store to pick up and was well pleased with the results. Cheaper than buying photo paper and ink!

You can crop, enhance, take out red eye at the online photo center and it is very easy to use. Good luck on saving some for "memories"

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susy, thanks for the tip. I will check that out.

Marie, your tips are good also. Thank you. The problem with sending pics to the GDs is the situation at their home. They can see them all on my PT albums at their dad's house if they want to.

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

How great that Marian again has a camera to share their projects with us. What a nice stock pile of wood you have for winter. It must be a good feeling.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

My, my Marian but Nolon's been busy. I guess it is that time of year to start thinking of such things. Where'd summer go? You and I have something in common...my gardening eyes are also too big, lol. It's just great that you have a camera again so you can share with us. I enjoy seeing pictures of your place. Thanks!

Eden

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Marian, that is a clever way Nolan made the saw rigs to cut the slabs. We haven't got much of a start on winters wood at all, although we have lots of fallen trees to work on. Bob doesn't have time right now and he likes to do it in cooler weather. He says cutting fire wood warms him twice. Once when he cuts it and again when he burns it. LOL

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Marian! I so enjoyed all your pics. What a job...I am quite impressed that Nolon could do all that too! That stack of firewood is really impressive! How long will all that firewood last? I love that hometown feel and think it is so nice that you and Nolon shared the firewood with your neighbors. I'm sure they all appreciated it.

I hope you will be able to use some of the suggestions here for saving the pictures. I agree with Martie...these are pictures you want to save and pass on to the grandchildren.

Thanks for sharing and may I say, I am *loving* your new camera! :-) Ei

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again for the follow-ups.
    Eileen, Nolon 'does' share firewood with the neighbors, but the slab wood that they are getting comes from his cousin's sawmill. Although we probably have enough for our winter's needs, Nolon wants to cut more... to share!

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Marian, I am a lurker, but have been enjoying it all!

I love your pictures of Nolan cutting the wood. How wonderful that he is able to do that.

I had two thoughts reading your posts. First about the steps: Have you thought of a long ramp?

Second about storing the photos: Have you tried copying them to a CD, one for each grandchild? That should last a very, very long time. You could just keep adding photos that you want them to have until the cd was full and then start another. I copy all mine periodically to get them safe from a Computer Crash. I have had that happen twice!

From one old country gal to another,

• Marian_2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks gldno1, Yes I suggested to DH that a ramp be built. He doesn't want one. He says if it were wet it would be a bigger hazard. ( The steps are in the utiliy room, and there isn't room for a long ramp.)
    I guess I should do the CDs. I have never tried that.

Good to hear from someone 'close to home'.

Marian

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Marian, you guys are going to be cozy this winter for sure. It is a lot of work putting up wood. Skip sort of cuts as he goes:). I would love to look out there and see a stack like that. Nice that you guys share your wood with others. I am sure they appreciate it. Thanks for sharing!
    Drema

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus