Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my poor garden

Posted by myonlysunshine z5 ma (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 07 at 19:54

we had a really bad thunderstorm last nihgt and with it more hail then I've ever seen.My poor garden looks so pitiful!My banana tree looks like a palm tree it's leaves are so shredded,most of my annuals are wilted and I don't know if they're going to recover.My sunflowers are laying on the ground,so I think I'm going to have to rip them out.Everything just looks so bad,I just want to cry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my poor garden

Nature can be wicked indeed. Every gardener goes through these times either with hail or with harsh winds, locusts, aphids, drought...or other annoyances. And these things do cause pain because we've put time, money and love into our efforts.

I'm really sorry about the damage to your hard work!

In my experience, a run through the gardens pinching and cutting damaged foliage and edging beds neatly makes things look better...if not glorious. But oddly enough, just 3 weeks from now, I think you'll find things beginning to take shape once more.

Best wishes!
'bug

o

Oh dear I'm so, so sorry. We had hail like that here the first week of June and I just cried. Like Bug said, prune the damaged things off, stake things that can be rescued and in a couple weeks your gardens will look a whole lot better. (((hugs))) Been there and I feel your pain.
Deanne

o

Been there seen that.....don't rip things out....prop them up and wait at least a week.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here