Idyll 279-The Waning Days of Summer

Sue W (CT zone 6a)
17 years ago

{{gwi:176008}}

Comments (100)

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ricks son and fiancé were here for dinner. Later his DD and SIL came over too. It has been an absolutely fabulous weekend weather wise. Much was accomplished yesterday and I feel more in control again. I have been enjoying more hummingbirds than I have ever had in my garden. They are just loving the red King Humbert cannas that Ei sent me.

Deanne, you both look wonderful.

Marian, how fun to run into your high school friend.

Sue, thats what made the IU3 so much fun for me is that you gals "get it" Of my company today, the guys looked at my brick work. Although, Ricks son keeps asking me if I know how many different kinds of plants that I have. (Im sure he wants to use it to measure my craziness) LOL

Martie, that sounds like quite an adventure for your DH. I hope it works for you both.

A couple of pictures from the garden with the new camera. This is the tropical area that is meant to hide the trash can area and I am quite pleased with it. There are 2 psyocarpus 'Diablo' there that will be a more permanent screen. Another project for this summer that I haven't gotten to was to install the bricks.

{{gwi:176041}}

I just can't get rid of these morning glories, but I did get a kick out of how this volunteer is growing around this vintage chair.
    {{gwi:176042}}

Night
    Michelle

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

You know, sleep is highly over-rated. So here it is 4:30am and I am about to send DH off to Ottawa for the day...and then everything starts rolling early here: dog food delivery, cat sitter visit, plant waterers and rabbit feeders...and on it goes.

5:15
    DH has been fed and his car came to pick him up for the airport. Charlotte got her first walk of the day, the litter box is changed. I am now about to proofread a copy of DH's songbook he has prepared for the wedding - 20 songs to sing around campfires...and Elton John's Your Song for DD in particular.

Of course there's still packing to do, but I wanted to respond to at least a few of you!
    Deanne, I can tell what a fun day it was by your expressions! The two of you look wonderful. Is Doug able to dance these days?

Honey, I'm working on DH to get the basement work done right. He can be so difficult! I think I may be winning this one, but he's not happy about spending money. I told him that I know he could do it himself but that his time is better spent on other things, which is true. The cleanup we have done has already been a good start. We'll see once we return from Alberta. Today I'll try to make an appointment with our contractor who is a competent guy.

Eden, how jealous I am of your having both the inside and outside done at the same time! You and Sue and now V are incredible! It will never happen here, but I do hope to be "more in control" as Michelle puts it! I sure hope your visitors are the kind who "get it" when they see your amazing gardens. I am thinking of your Mom and hope she is managing OK with her treatment.

Marian, I love it when happy things occurr by surprise. Meeting up with your HS friend is just one of those things. They do happen more than you might imagine.

OK, that YAAAAAWWWWNNNNN from Martie is catching!

Later, I hope!
    'bug

• martieinct
    17 years ago

I could be in Scotland this morning and not know the difference. Everything is green, green, green with a windless fog. True peace and quiet ....

Well, Deanne and MJ!! Are you both glowing 'cause of the bargain or because you just look like models standing there?? (And, secretly amongst friends, did you take off your shoes to dance? I love wearing shoes like that but tip over if I do anything beyond walk :-)

Again, Sue, if you throw a party anything close to the standard you set in your garden I'll never miss another one!! Glad everything was dry.

I think people DO notice the plants but in the larger scheme of things. At the very end of a party here earlier this summer a snooty DW of a workmate whose obviously never had dirty fingernails sidled up to me and asked "just who is your landscaper -- I've got to have him!!" LOL Et tu, with a firm smile while relating the answer!!

Eden: Ky will be in Japan from January - June 07 as long as the program doesn't get cancelled. The ways of the world of late have struck fear in a lot of reciprocal exchange programs. The Osaka-based university will Not be sending students here this fall for the first time in 20 years. Very sad. It's a little ironic that his major there will/would be International Diplomacy. HAVE FUN at the garden viewing! You should have Bella perched somewhere in there with gossimer wings!! LOL (Yes, I know you have a break until Wednesday but it sure would add to the "feel" of the garden :-)

Honey -- You, too, do the petunia thing. I have it as a backdrop for a fairy garden and from ground level it is magic. No pics of this one this year and it's pretty much over, but it will be repeated next year.

'bug -- Get some sleep! Love the idea of a campfire songbook. Did Ei contribute??

V: - Good luck corraling the kids from school. If they're anything like Ky when it comes to making plans, it'll all come together at the last minute like all good college travel plans should.

Michelle: Your combos never cease to amaze me. I love the Morning Glory across the chair. If that's two 'Diablo' I'll need to resite at least one where I have it .. Thanks for the unintentioned tip!!

Marian: I search for places like the One-Stop when I'm on the road. Always the best food and company. Tim, his friend, and his friend's family have been included in my thoughts. My feeling is that if his friend really believes that he'll get better, who's to question that? Nature will take it's course and it probably makes him feel better to think he has some control where he obviously doesn't have much ...

Cynthia -- Where Are You???

Anyone I didn't mention -- Greetings!! Really wish you could all see this weather -- everything is so GREEN!!

Martie

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning,

Goodness it feels like late September here this morning. It is 55 degrees out and it isnt supposed to get above 65 degrees today. It is cloudy and drizzly and we arent supposed to see the sun today. But as Martie said, everything is so GREEN. Doug and I took a nice drive yesterday and went to Manchester VT to check out the Orvis flagship store there. It was very nice but not really worth the drive. The sale outlets however, were worth the drive. I just love a bargain! LOL

Martie I wish you could have seen the mountains in VT yesterday. They were covered with wisps of fog streaming up the sides. It was lovely. Then when we drove by Dublin Lake in NH by Mt. Monadnock the whole lake was covered by fog. The lake water was warmer than the air temp. Even with the cloudy day it was a lovely drive. ~~ LOL about dancing in those shoes. The truth be told, I had to take them off this time because I wasnt wearing hose and was developing blisters. I did dance in shoes with the same heels for both Dougs and my class reunions last fall but after three dances I realized that Id have bleeding blisters before the end of the party so ditched them. ~~ Im so sorry to hear of the difficult decision you and Rich have made regarding his work. Doug and I have done that from time to time and it is hard but certainly feasible. He worked in Arkansas for a whole year one time and we usually did get to visit a couple times a month.

Marian, how neat you were able to meet your HS friend. What fun.

Honey, wow it sounds like youve been really busy there. Did you do all that digging by hand? Thanks for the BDay pic. How perfect that you gave me a Kelvin for my birthday. Im telling you, Im determined that no matter what Im going to have Thomas Edison in the garden next year. My Le Barons are looking mighty fine about now and Im very happy with them this year. They were in pots last year and didnt do that well. Also, Ive got a new one called Breakout that I know youd love. It is looking to be the size of Otto.

Bug, thanks for asking, yes Doug was able to dance at the wedding! I didnt think hed be able to but he had a good time. He is a bit on the sore side again today from overdoing it but his toe is definitely getting better and that ulcer on the bottom of his big toe is FINALLY completely healed up after over a year. ~~ I agree with you that Im jealous that Eden and Sue have their houses and gardens tip-top at the same time. Right now neither is looking its best here and to that end Ive got a lot of work to do today. With the weather we are having though I think it is going to be the indoors that gets attention. Im also thinking of starting to take some coleus cuttings from the varieties I cant live without and getting the lights going in the spare room.

Michelle, thanks for the pics. I absolutely love those tropical plantings. Those Diablos look great against the large leaves of the cannas and EEs. That morning glory is so sweet climbing across the chair. Love it!

V. Oh my, I know it isnt really funny, but Im LOL over that golden retriever and the stuffed toy! What a mess! How did she manage to get them all cleaned up and I sure hope she wasnt sprayed too badly.

Cindy, are you finally getting some of this rain??? If not it looks like your whole area will get rain in the next couple days. I sure hope so. How are you doing? We havent heard from you in a bit. Hope you can check in.

Saucy, OK where are you? I hope it isnt more computer woes and it is just getting the children back to school.

Oh yes, I wanted to show you all this pic, so who do you think that lovely girl on the right is??? Of course it is DD. I was so struck by the pose because sometimes it is amazing how alike we look. One time a lady in town stopped her and asked her if she was my youngest sister. You can see why.
    {{gwi:176043}}

All right. Ive got to get out of here.

Later all,
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Morning all....
    I have an appointment at an arthritis clinic this morning, so can't linger here long.

V, funny about the dog and his 'new stuffed toy' LOL.

Deanne...yep, you and MJ are quite spiffy looking. :-) But I agree with Marty about the shoes. ( I don't dance, but I couldn't even walk in those,lol )

Michelle, your yard is lovely, both in these pics and the ones on the other thread. My volunteer morning glorys 'finally' came up, and just may succeed in blooming before a frost. I can't imagine why they are so late. I enjoy their flowers.

Marie, don't overdo it! Be sure and pace yourself. :-) Neither the inside or the outside is 'tidied' here. :-(
    The interior of our house is looking more like the Munster's every day...smile.

Martie, we are having fog also, and the drizzles continue. Boy, you will really be suffering from the 'empty nest' syndrome, with both your son and your DH gone. I admire your DH for what he is going to do. We feel the same way as you about Marvin's chioce to believe he will overcome this challenge.

Okay, I'd better get cracking!
    TTYAL
    Marian

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Good morning well, I see lots has been happening here.

Deanne you & friend look marvelous all dolled up and yes, DD definitely looks sisterly to you! Im sure shes not so fond of hearing that (my own DD gets it every so often) but its a great thing for us isnt it?

Well, no real rain here its so incredible rain to the north, rain to the south, rain to the west.... it all fizzles & froths away... I believe I did see a few drops this a.m. on my car but you wouldnt know it from the dirt dryness of the flower beds. Its really discouraging. Ive thought about buying some stuff for the fall but figure it will all die if we dont get some good douses of rain, so better save the $$ for spring.

Martie I commend your DH what a wonderful idea to do esp if hes feeling footloose re the economy in your area at present. I hope you enjoy the quiet for a bit & hopefully hell get home to visit soon.

Honey you amaze me thats an amazing amount of work & holes to dig how did you do it without any contractor helping? Wow .... bedrock is bedrock w/ all that builder trash that compacts around foundations. Great photos of those dahlias you inspired me to try the T. Edison this year and its been blooming up a storm (thru no help from me) one of the few things looking good in the bed.

Michelle youre really getting very tropical in your plantings! Actually I love that morning glory draped across the chair - & youd never know it was being thuggish!

Gardenbug sounds like youve gotten most things under control for the big day you should be leaving shortly for that arent you?

V you made me laugh about the dog & her soft toy thats exactly what my own little one does but I had to stop her taking them outside because they usually end up lost along the way... thank goodness shes not managed to retrieve anything live on the leash instead... eewsprayed by skunk is horrible had it happen 1 time to another dog Ill never forget that as long as I live!!

Well, another humid, 90ish day here in the great metropolis theyre making more sounds about possible showers but so far theyve been 100% wrong for about 3 weeks; so Im not feeling real optimistic!

Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Morning all. Its supposed by cool and rainy here today. Everything here is very GREEN too.

Cindy, I hope you get your much needed rain so you too can be green.

Deanne, the resemblance is remarkable between you and your DD.

Martie, I meant to tell you how impressive the size of your corn is and I know corn :o)

Eden, how are treatments going for your mom?

Not much else from here.

Enjoy your day.

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Whew! I finally got caught up on the last couple of threads. I won't try to comment on all I read, but at least now I understand why Marie is throwing out half of her basement.

I spent some time on Saturday deadheading a particularly nasty section of the garden. There's much more to go, but it is making such a wonderful difference that I am encouraged to go on. I was going to work more tonight and was just a teensy grousy that my MIL invited me to dinner, but it has been pouring all day so it won't be a good night for gardening. MIL is concerned that I'm sitting home alone with nothing to do, while I am trying not to think too hard about the list of things that won't get done while I go for dinner! I know she means well.

Cindy, I wish I could send you some of our rain. As Ei mentioned, we can sympathize because our drought was so bad last year.

Deanne, was Doug in any way involved in producing your daughter? Sure looks like a clone job to me!

Eden, I saw the photos of Bella the beautiful! She looks like she'll be talking up a storm once she gets started! A real sweetheart, and how great to have a photographer friend to follow her through your garden.

Martie, have I said how nice it is to see your morning posts again?

And there was a brief return of Saucy! Saucy, c'mon back again!

DD the ambitious auditioned for choir, but because of her already-busy schedule, the only choir she would be able to rehearse with was the top choir. Can her mother say that I'm a little relieved she didn't make it this time? I think she has enough to keep herself busy with.

Last fall as I was planting the last of several hundred bulbs, I vowed that I would take a year off this year. So far I'm sticking to that vow. Of course, it's only August.

BUT! I have a shrub question! Microbiota decussata, to be specific. One of DH's summer projects has been to build an elevated site for our lawn swing so that we get a better view of the pond from the swing. He has built a "raised bed" if you will from railroad ties. The finished bed will be about three feet tall, and I am thinking of using the Microbiota decussata as a groundcover for the back of the bed, so that it spills over the back wall. I seem to recall that Tower Hill had some planted like this? Anyone have any comments on this? will it grow slow enough that I won't have to be pruning it under the swing all the time?

I'm also picturing a tiger Eye Sumac on either side of the bed on the ground level. A nice mounding shape that will blunt the effect of a large box suddenly rising out of the ground.

Marian, sorry to hear about Tim's friend. I just read an article yesterday about Art Buchwald, the columnist. He went into hospice early this summer expecting to die within three weeks from kidney failure. He recovered, has gone home and is writing again. Prepare for the worst but expect the best because every once in a while, it really does happen.

I do feel like summer is calming down now. I have a couple of special projects at work that really have re-energized me, and I have a meeting scheduled tomorrow to talk about "expanded opportunities".

Enjoy the rest of your day!

V.

• saucydog
    17 years ago

I didn't even think about turning the computer on until after dinner...and it took me this long to read through all the posts I missed :)

Yes, Deanne, the first day of school and return from vacation has my head spinning....couldn't remember my name, much less GW!

I missed two birthdays! Happy Birthday Deanne and V! Deanne, you and hubby share the same date...sure I've said that before. I love it when he's older than me every year until Thanksgiving rolls around....I tease him endlessly.

We had an awesome vacation. Printed off the pictures last night (with the new computer, I bought an all in one from Home Shopping :) and got to relive the smiles.

Sue, I think that non-gardeners notice, but they feel intimidated....at least this is my theory.

Sarah made me wonder how Babs is doing at school...she got a new school nurse this year.

Jake had a good first day at school, but boy....are all twelve year olds so spacey? He's in la-la land. I just want to splash him with some cold water every few minutes.

My garden is huge and messy. The horse manure I mulched with last spring (not this past spring, but the one before) has produced some monstrous plants! The cosmos I plant every year are over 7 feet tall this year....ridiculous....I can't see the flowers :)

Maybe I'll snap pictures when it's prettier out....still stuck in a fog here.

I'll check in tomorrow. I'm having trouble catching up.

Saucy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Ahhhhhhh! The Arthritis Doctor prescribed Tramadol and acetaminophien together for my pain. I took them as soon as I got home. I am pain free! What a strange feeling! Now if it will just last, with no ill side effects. He diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia and Osteoartritis. He sent me for more x-rays and blood tests. I am to go back in two weeks for the results and analysis.

Saucy, I was afraid we had lost you again! LOL on your 7' cosmos. I had no volunteers this year. I wonder if the deer would have eaten them. I like cosmos, both the pink/white/red kinds, and the orange and yellow ones. I'd love to see some pics.

V, you are so right. Nobody really knows the outcome of someone's illness. There are frequent unexplained recoveries.

Michelle, you probably wondered what other thread I was speaking of. I got you mixed up with Sue's thread. That's what happens when I post in haste...:-(

Deanne, before I read your post I thought both pics were you! What an amazing resemblance! Lovely daughter.

Martie, I didn't know it, but Nolon told the One Stop owner that he would be there Thursday for his birthday, and she could have a small piece of cake for him. She will, too. She has been a friend for many years. We have never tried that hamburger mentioned in the article. :-)

Did you check out any of the other info? I am seriously thinking of taking one of those hot air balloon flights. I've wanted to do that for a long time. Nolon says he is not interested in joining me. I am sure I can find a partner .

Ah, Cindy...I sure know how you feel. The rains normally circle all around us too. This is SO unusual. I think we have had a total of at least 5 inches this month. When I came home from town I noticed a differant smell indoors, and it dawned on me that it is all the moisture that we've had. I hope we don't mildew like Marie's basement!

I'll have to mow again. The grass and weeds have exploded! Tomorrow is my 'Day in town', so it will have to wait 'til weds or later.

Honey, has all the construction/distruction been completed at your home? I hope all is back to normal.

Marie, the Doctor also prescribed Trazodone to help me sleep better. He said to only take 1/2 of a pill 2 hours before bedtime. (Oops, I would have forgotten if I hadn't told you this!) I hope you aren't wearing yourself out with all your preparations and basement cleaning.
    Actually, surprises happen more frequently that I expect them too. :-) I am always saying " It's a small world".

Marian

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good morning, all.

Hectic morning with Rich in full swing filling out paperwork and gathering documents. We're finding out why a lot of folks haven't actually headed to LA or MI -- the infrastructure is nowhere near ready to have residential reconstruction start. His mind is set, and he'll continue to work through the hideous bureacracy. If LA or MI doesn't work at this point, he'll be looking at Florida which IS actively entertaining residential license apps at this point.

It seems that right after Katrina and Rita, a lot of hacky "contractors" began ripping folks off. People became victims twice. Thus, the credible guys need to do a ton of documentation and work -- far more than normal to get a license. But, as I said, he wants to do this and is navigating through the system to do so.

How I wish I could send some rain your way, Cindy. We're expecting another inch today and while it's welcome, we could certainly stand to share.

Our tomatoes have come in gangbusters all of a sudden. One of the neighborhood kids things we're all going to turn red :-)

V -- Did I say how nice it is to be back? LOL Glad DD didn't make the top choir. That would be a lot of pressure for a freshman.

Deanne: Who's who, again???? ;-) Friday can't come soon enough.

Marian: Pain Free ... what a wondrous relief that must be even for a moment. Happy Birthday to Nolan if I forget.

Another drowsy day but must get motivated to go conquer the advertising world. LOL

Best - Martie

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning everyone,

Well, as Martie said we are expecting more rain today but CT is supposed to get the brunt of this system. WE are only supposed to get .25 of an inch if that. Just enough to keep the Nashua Garden Club people from being able to take photographs outside this afternoon. They are supposed to come to bring my award for the container contest and take photos of the container. I asked which one it was and the woman I spoke with couldn't tell me so I still don't know. LOL

Marian, great news about the new meds. I sure hope you've found a permanent solution to the arthritis pain and that you don't have any side effects from the medication.

Saucy, glad to hear you had a great vacation. LOL about the seven foot cosmos. I guess the gardens liked the manure.

V, so what kind of expanded opportunities are you looking at? ~~ I completely know what you mean about going out for a social event when you'd rather be home accomplishing something that needs doing.

Hi Michelle, you must have sent the cool and rainy weather this way.

Marie, when do you leave for the wedding? Soon I believe. You are going to have to take lots and lots of pics for us.

OK time to get off my duff, get to the gym then get the containers spiffed up for their photo shoot later. I'm crossing my fingers that it won't be raining when they come.

Have a great day everyone,

Deanne

PS Cindy, I'm willing some of this rain to head south for you.

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning!

Still dry as can be here....brown, crunchy and blah looking. I cannot remember the last time that we had measurable rain. We're suppose to have a couple of overcast days with temps not quite reaching the 70's and then back up into the 90's for the weekend. I'm tired of this summer.

Babies.....they are doing fine. Both are at 8 pounds now (already). DD is feeling perkier (she got some of her pre-pregnancy jeans on the other day--always a sure way to perk up a new mother). The babies are still not allowing them more than an hour or two of uninterrupted sleep each night....but the new parents are getting use to it, I guess. The boys are 'spitters' so they can't lay them down after feedings and they need to always listen for sounds of gagging. Not condusive to a sound sleep for the time between feedings. I'm still helping most days. This week, instead of being there from 10 a.m. to 7 or 8 pm, we're going to try noon to 4 p.m. Thinking that will allow her to shower and take a nap, if possible. She is on antibiotics for mastitis and was feeling horrible a few days ago so I helped her out on Sunday while her hubby and Jim did some work on the new house addition. I'm getting nothing done here for the past 3 weeks.......but I'd have it no other way. I love helping her out and holding those babies! I'm tired though.....I cannot tell her or anyone else here that, but I'll snivel to you guys. ;o)

Yesterday Jim took a vacation day so we worked on getting our firewood cut, split and stacked. After the day became too warm to do firewood, he decided to use the excavator to dig a ditch alongside the driveway to, hopefully, divert the rain run-off alongside the driveway instead of cutting into the driveway and carrying the gravel away. Sad thing is we won't know if it is sufficient or working until the heavy rains come and then it will be too late to work on it more until next summer. My job was to pick up the big rocks that he unearthed and get them back into the ditch so that we could mow between the ditch and the pasture fence. My back didn't like the job a bit. lol

Saturday DD#1 and Jamie came over. DD & I went out into the woods looking for blackberries. We didn't have to go far away from the house to fill our bowls with berries for cobblers and pies. I was stung by a yellow-jacket (bee) 3 times so sniveled a bit for the rest of the day about that. I'm not allergic so nothing more than a little bit of swelling and pain. Now it is red and itchy. No big deal but I'd rather have not had the sting nor need for sniveling. ;o)

I've been trying to read each days' postings and keep up with what has been happening for everyone. I have enjoyed the lovely garden photos shared and the birthday cards that were put up.

This is an extremely self-focused post..I am thinking of all and certain particulars come to mind but I hesitate to begin mentioning things as I'm sure to forget a few and don't wish to slight anyone. Best that I just not begin rather than screw it up by leaving someone out inadvertently. ;oD

My best to all!!
    T.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Marian, Thats great news. Not that you have all those things, but that now maybe you have the right meds. Hopefully without side effects. I hope you do take the hotair balloon ride. It is an awesome thing. I gave Bob one for a birthday present one year and went along with him. We both enjoyed it.

Happy belated birthday V. I kept thinking I would get a picture up for you, but haven't made time yet. I'm thinking about you anyway.

Deanne, you asked about a couple of coleus in the container in your birthday picture. Those happen to be a couple I don't have tags for. I have several I would like to ID. I have quite a few I want to overwinter. I hope I'm up to it. I would hate to have to buy them again next year and I do like them. Do you overwinter your Euphorbia Diamond Frost? If so how do you do it?
    Your DD cetainly does look like you.

Saucy, I'm glad you had a nice vacation. I'm glad I don't have to do the get the kids off to school thing anymore and feel for all the mothers that do. But enjoy them while you can, they grow up awfully quick.

Cindy, any rain yet? We have had enough to green things up again, but the humidity has been oppressive. Today is supposed to be cooler and less humidity. Maybe I will feel like getting something done again. Yesterday I was a bit worn out from our weekend trip. It was good to see everyone, but good to get back home too. We are homebodies.

Eden did it rain on your garden tour?

Martie, I hope things work out for Rich. Since there is much about those areas on the news today, it certainly looks like there should be plenty of work.

Anyone who grows Caryopteris Snow Fairy(I think Babs does) How much shade can it take?

Will just say hello to everyone else since I want to get outside and get busy.
    Have a good day all. N

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

T, You have a right to be tired. I do understand your not wanting to say so though. Good to hear the babies are doing well(except for the spitting of course). We are waiting for cooler weather to cut wood. We certainly have enough downed trees to work on this year. The last couple of weeks have been terrible for the seed ticks here. I can't walk out side without getting some on me. We have never had them so bad here. Maybe its because it was so dry here this summer. Hmmmnn berry pies. I'll be over. LOL

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We are only supposed to hit 75 today. Last evening I worked outside in jeans and a light jacket. I planted out a few things from the pot ghetto. I think there only 4 shrubs left to find homes for. I really dont like to carry pots over the winter. I also have started a little transplanting and dividing. This cool weather is perfect.

Tomorrow night Rick goes to the hospital for a sleep study. I have been nagging about sleep apnea, so we will find out if it is just snoring or something more. It is a fairly common problem, but is hard on you if you have it.

Hi Norma, did your back take your trip OK?

Where is Babs these days? Im wondering how the new job is going?

T, it sounds like the new parents are settling in and getting used to it all.

Eden, how was your garden tour?

Marian, I hope that you continue to feel well. Good health is such a blessing. Its something we take for granted until we dont have it. Happy birthday to Nolon on Thursday. Today is my former boss birthday, he is 86. He is in excellent health, gets around well. He brought donuts from the local cafe for us as his tradition.

Deanne, I hope the rain stays away for you, but you should have ideal light for the photo shoot.

Speaking of photo shoots we were asked to pose for some photos at the Minnesota Arboretum. They said to watch the website to see if they use us. My SIL is getting into acting as a career. She has been in a commercial and is doing some voice over work also. My little niece who is 8 was along with her mom one day and was asked to be in the commercial with her mom. She didnt think it was too big of a deal until she found out that they were going to pay her.

Hi to everyone else and missing all those who are absent.

Enjoy the day
    Michelle

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I just got one huge job about of the way and feel great about that for the moment. Now to get six or seven other things knocked out.

Had a nice dinner at MIL's last night and helped her weed a bit. ;) She tends to let things grow if she's not sure what they are. She's got a new shrub that is getting dwarfed by two volunteer mulberries that are over 6' tall - and she tried to yank them out by hand! She swears they were not there last year, so she is going to have the landscaper who planted the shrubs take a look at them to see if they came along with the shrub.

We had yet more rain last night and it's very cool today. I've now worn long pants to work two days in a row - can't remember the last time I did that! When I walked out with the dogs this morning, the air smelled swampish. Better to be wet than too dry, but I can do without the extremes, thank you.

Martie, too bad the jerks make it hard for the good guys, but I give your DH a lot of credit for pursuing it.

Norma, thanks for the birthday wishes!

T, I was getting tired just reading about your jobs yesterday. Don't let Jim take any more vacations like that, okay? Glad to hear the boys are doing well. Self-centered posts are just fine!

Marian, glad to hear you have some meds that are working well. It's an extra measure of well-being when something makes a difference in how you feel right off the bat.

Hi Michelle! I'm wondering where Babs is also. I hope the job is going well and that the transition isn't overwhelming her.

Deanne, I hope the rain holds off enough for the photo shoot.

Okay, on to the next thing that I've been procrastinating about. I want to get at least three of those things off my back today.

TTYL,

V.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

How wonderful, Marian, to feel pain free just goes to show that perseverance pays off when it comes to medications and/or doctors....

T lucky parents & babies to have such a wonderful GM whose happy to help out ouch, on the no sleep its amazing what memories that brings back! LOL.... And then to work like a trojan at home too hauling rocks, etc.!! You have a right to be tired!

Your area & mine are obviously in the same weirdo weather pattern rain all around us but none falling on our heads (but be careful what we wish for, uh?)..... It is truly amazing though how an area can be in a dry "bubble" where its pouring 5 to 20 miles away and parched continually at home....Theyre now saying Ernesto might bring some this way in time for the holiday weekend I wont knock that if it really happens...

But just think we had 12 inches of rain in a few days only 2 months ago and now were in a mini drought situation...Mother Nature sure is contrary!

Hope Deanne & Eden are having M. Nature cooperate for their garden tours.

Norma re the caryopteris Snow Fairy others might offer more info, but Ive got 2 plants of it as I like it so much the one in full sun stands up straight & looks great; the other one thats in moderate shade in the a.m, seems to flop more (it drapes itself over some nepeta in front) I recall that Gardenbug has a wonderful huge stand of it that I was amazed gets so tall....(am wondering if hers is in full sun ???)

V did Deanne answer your microbiata question since shes got one? It sounds like you have a great place for it & it looks great draped over a wall, the specimens Ive seen. Ive thought about getting myself but I think it does get too wide for where Id place it a never ending problem for me and the small yard/plant zoo.... That was nice of you to help the MIL out when youre really wanted to be at home!!

Sue, are you off to North Hill soon? I hope you share some photos of that terrific garden with us if you can maybe some more inspiration/re-energizing for us "mopers" (I may have to resort to only that type of inspiration if we dont get more rain here soon!).

Eden, werent you going to post some pics of your garden? Hint hint....

Well, work is a bit slow but I suspect its just waiting for Friday & then it will be gangbusters.

Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cindy, photos are not allowed at the North Hill tour. It's probably because the garden owners do make somewhat of a living off books and articles about the garden. We're going on Thursday-Monique, Les, Deanne and I. It should be fun and the weather should be cleared up by then. Sorry to report but it's raining all day again here.

Boy, it's been quiet on idylls lately. I guess I can't complain since I don't have much going on either that is worth chatting about. Nick was at the vet yesterday because he has a couple of "hot spots" on the back of his neck. Now we have 10 days of antibiotics and some antiseptic spray to go through. The last time he had something like this it spread all over his back. Yuck.

Except for Marie, does anyone have any exciting plans for the upcoming long weekend? Last year I had Tom's family over for a cookout but I think I'm partied out for the time being and besides they were all just here on Saturday. Maybe I'll hit some of the specialty nurseries I haven't been to in a few months and start moving plants around for next year. Our fall CT plant swap is September 24th. Usually I'm out digging stuff the day before. Some advance prep wouldn't hurt.

OK, are you all snoring yet? No? How about I e-mail you all a copy of the monthly financial discussion I have to work on this afternoon...lol.

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Afternoon all,

Well I've been sprucing things up with my raincoat on and the front yard is looking pretty nice at the moment. Now to tackle the back... It would be nice if the rain stopped for a bit. My garden on the east side of the house is a total disaster. Everything in there is covered with powdery mildew. I'm planning on cutting it all down and digging everything with mildew out of there. It's history. Even the darned peonies have mildew this year. What a mess. I need to at least get the containers on the patio cleaned up in case it is one of those that they chose. This sure would have been easier if they could have told me which one they picked. LOL

Anyway, T. sounds like you've been really, really busy. So sorry about the hornet sting. That happened to my neighbor two days ago and she got nailed in several places. She wound up with so much swelling she had to go to the doctors. Those bees and wasps get pretty aggressive this time of the year. ~~ I'd be pretty discouraged with the drought you've been dealing with. A few years ago when we had a real rain shortage I just gave up watering things after a while and left thing for survival of the fittest.

Cindy, I'm crossing my fingers for you that you get some rain out of this next system that is coming through. I know what you mean though. It has seemed that lately we get two inches of rain or no rain. Today's gentle showers are the first we've had like this for a while. Thanks for reminding me about the Microbiota question. I missed that in V's post...

V. I have a Microbiota and love it. It has been here for a year now and it has to be the slowest growing thing I've ever seen so unless it goes into action next year I'd say that you need not worry about it being a pruning problem. I can hardly see any new growth on mine this year. I'm thinking of replacing a couple of the shrubs around the pond with Microbiota because it seems to be staying totally in bounds. I've got a couple of what are supposed to be dwarf CHAMAECYPARIS PISIFERA that are getting too large. They don't appear to be dwarf to me. LOL anyway I think the MIcrobiota would be nice there.

OK time to go back out to play in the rain a bit more.
    Later,
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Well, whoever heard of ungenerous gardeners, LOL, Sue? Yes, I do know the owners' names, articles, & book, but had not realized they were so stingy re the public/photos - well, I do hope you thoroughly enjoy it anyhow -- It is in fact hard to enjoy a garden & think about taking photos too, isnt it?

Im afraid to dig anything right now - either for a swap or move things that dreadfully need moving. Deanne, Im relieved to hear you confess an area of your garden might be unsightly! (altho I should probably take photos of mine & think I could win the contest over you for "most unsightly", LOL!!! Aside from some dahlias, wild phlox, lonely platycodon, kalimeris, boltonia, caryopteris & weird late planted lilies, that's it (hmm, that's a longer list than I thought....) Maybe it's all the brown that's so depressing to me??

Re conifers -- I think that's one of the reasons I so hesitate to plant more - dwarfs are seldom dwarf in 10 years, & unlike you and Sue, I hate moving things all the time (aside from full summer being so darned hot & I can't baby the plants) - I hope & pray when I plant something, to plunk it in, and it's going to be happy in its space. I shudder to think about moving it more than once -- but others have no qualms whatsoever -- you have truly "movable plants"! Maybe that makes me less of a gardener? Or just a difference in plant philosophy or Im naturally lazy....

No, sorry no exciting plans here for the weekend -- hoping to watch rain fall -- that shows the level to which I've sunk.

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

It is 2pm and I am in the last throws of packing for our week in Alberta for THE WEDDING. I'm soon off to the dump, then have mowing and packing still to complete. Then we are off to the printers where DH's song books will be bound. While they are doing the bindings, we will probably grab a bite of dinner somewhere. Then back to deliver the dog to the kennel with her goodies.

Off at 5 am in the morning.

Keep the home fires burning! I hope to have a few photos when I return.

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Michelle ,I did ok with the riding. Our seats recline , so I could rest when I needed to. I still need to get to the chiropractor though, so I can sleep without hurting and I really need to get back to walking and get some weight off.

One of my BILs has sleep apnea and uses a machine at night.

It is cloudy here today, so I took some pictures of my containers. and have been puttering around instead of really accomplishing anything. I need to be transplanted and dividing too.

How neat you might be on the website. Let us know if you are.

GB,Enjoy your trip. We will be thinking about you and your daughters wedding.

Nothing exciting going on here this weekend and that suits me just fine. Now if I can just remember to get DDs birthday card in the mail I will be doing good.

• saucydog
    17 years ago

I'm not good at commenting on everything that I read....but I do enjoy reading the Idylls :) I hope I don't hurt feelings...it just takes me a while to get rolling.

I'm still feeling funny about "cutting in" on the Idylls.

Nothing going on here today. 3rd cloudy day in a row and I'm having a bit of a fit over not seeing some sunshine. Also, 65 degrees is a bit cruel when you're looking at a cool fall and a freezing cold winter....GIVE ME MY AUGUST, I deserve it!

I'm so short with Jake. I don't know how to get along with him. I'm very upset all the time. I know he is, too. I'm not sure how I'm gonna resolve the issues I have with his attitude. He doesn't care about anything and it's driving me nuts! Well, to be fair, he cares about stuff that is not going to amount to a hill of beans in the future :)

I have to repeat in my head "he is twelve, he is still a boy" even though he is beginning to change into a man.

I am looking into a program called "New England School of Gardening." It looks promising and you can even earn a diploma :) Lots of interesting subjects: soil, propogation, landscape design, gardening, etc. It goes through the fall, winter, spring, too! I'm going to sign up next Tues. Most of the classes are at night, but with me home during the day, I figure I can set everyone up for sucess after school/work. Once a week they can have a ready made meal :)

I'm concerned that we haven't heard from Babs, too. I hope she realizes that lots of those things she used to do can be put on hold with her new responsibilities! I used to walk in and throw together some pretty creative dinners when I was working full time. I worked school hours for a few years, too, and it wasn't much easier.

just t, you must be exhausted! I know your daughter and son-in-law must be, too! Especially with the infection - when it rains it pours, huh? What a nice service you are providing! I know your daughter will appreciate it when she's not too tired to express it :)

My mom cleaned my whole apartment (we're talking moved the fridge and stove) while I was in the hospital after delivery. I didn't find that out until this year (I knew it was clean...didn't know the lengths she had gone). She had sworn my husband to secrecy, but he figured the statute of limitations was up. I remember coming home with the new baby (Jake) to a fresh house with a vase full of flowers. My mom had to fly home to TN to be with my sister who had been in a car accident, but it was nice to come home to a clean quiet house.

Not a week later my in-laws blew me out of the water! All is forgiven, now :)

Anyway. I'm hoping for sun and a chance to be in my yard and garden after two weeks. I'd like to mow the field and cut back a few things in the garden. I still have a few things to plant, too.

Hope the CT crew has fun on Thursday. I visited a garden in my town on a list of nationwide gardens....could this have been the same thing? It was fun!

Time for me to find something relaxing to do. Laundry's going, dishes are washing, and kids are reading.....what to do, what to do....

Saucy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Saucy, you are the idylls. Without you we wouldn't be doing this for all these years. Don't ever feel like you're "cutting in". The garden we're visiting on Thursday is called North Hill and is in southern VT. It's a well know garden and only open a few days a year for a charity event on a first come, first serve basis. We reserved the tickets months ago. The tickets were free but it's expected to make a donation to the charity on the day of the event.

Where is Babs anyway? Busy with school, new job, household stuff more than likely. Taryn too, I assume.

Marie, relax and enjoy the wedding! I expect more than a few pictures...lol.

Norma, we have a friend who wears a sleep apnea appliance too. He calls it a C-Pap. Don't ask me what that stands for but when he wears it regularly he feels much better. Tom snores but doesn't have sleep apnea so I'm out of luck.

Ooops, dinner is ready.

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Tim has sleep apnea, and has that device, but he doesn't wear it here. I don't know if he does at home.

Saucy, I wish I knew what to say to make you feel comfortable here again. I am so glad you are back. As Sue said, you 'are' the Idylls. I am a rather late comer. It isn't a requirement for each of us to comment on everything. Do what you are comfortable with.

Do any of you grow Achimenes? Here is a pic of mine:
    {{gwi:176044}}

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Hi again. I took a few pictures today. The first is my new favorite grass. A Dewey Blue switch grass.{{gwi:176045}}
    {{gwi:176046}}
    {{gwi:176048}}
    This last picture is a Double Moss Rose, the plant was only six inches in diamenter when I planted it. It is three feet now. It doesn't produce seeds. Anybody know how to propagate it? Its not hardy here.{{gwi:176050}}

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

We're back after a great vacation in sunny CA. The weather was superb, hot in LA but just perfect in San Diego. Despite slathering everyone in SPF 45 we're all several shades darker than when we left. I'd forgotten how intense the sun can be - I think if we still lived there between gardening and outdoor activities with the kids, I'd be as wrinkled and leathery as an old boot by now.

In LA Annie and David spent the weekend with SIL, giving DH and myself a couple of days to ourselves. We visited the LA arboretum, met friends, sipped frosted drinks by the pool and enjoyed a couple of nice dinners out. I had my first pedicure on Sunset Boulevard - even my toes went Hollywood!! DH's family are wonderful to the children and took them to Univerals Studios and 6 Flags Magic Mountain where they rode the highest, scariest roller coasters with their older cousin. They loved every second (I would have been too scared to even watch).

On Wednesday we drove down to San Diego with SIL. We lived there for a year in 95 and it was fun to be coming back again. Saucy - I was thinking of you too being based there, especially seeing so many of the big navy ships. David was 2 when we left, too young to remember anything so we enjoyed taking him to our favorite places. We spent a day at the Wild Animal Park, another at Seaworld, and went body surfing on Silver Strand beach on Coronada Island. I'd forgotten how much fun those waves are. San Diego is such a beautiful city, but development and traffic have definitely increased since we were there. We left on another perfect sunny morning, arriving back to rain and temps in the 60's. As lovely as our trip was, I realized how much more I prefer living in the East - I miss rainy days and changing seasons. The garden was lush and green when we got back, not to mention somewhat wild, the pets were all fine and Clousseau delighted to see us.

Today was David's 10th Birthday. We had a fairly low key day as we are all still jet lagged. It's funny how those 3 hours can make such a difference. We opened presents, he had a friend over to play and we made his favorite lasagne for dinner. I did a little cutting back in the garden and grocery shopped but I was really dragging. Tomorrow Annie has orientation at Middle School starting at 8 AM so we will be up bright and early then.

Hope all the Idylls are well. Babs - hows the job?!

Taryn, are you hooked up yet?

Saucy, do keep posting. Its been great having you back again.

T- what a blessing you must be to your DD and how wonderful to be holding those babies.

Deanne - you, MJ and your DD all look gorgeous. What fabulous dresses you ladies found!

Marian - in my quick skim I remember you saying your new medication has you pain free. I hope thats continuing.

Norma - beautiful pcitures. I have a moss rose that has to be cutting propagated too, I've read they are easy to root. Perhaps our cuttings queen Deanne can help.

I'll try and comment to those I've missed over the next few days. We have one more week before school starts so hopefull I can get caught up on what everyone is doing. But for now, I'm heading to bed.

Mary

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good, late morning, Idyllers! Doing research from home this morning, then off to "annual doctor appt :-(" then to the office. Ugh.

Looking at the gardens makes me wish I could morph myself. Why is it that weeds appear faster than anything else?? LOL

Have been following the "what plants move well and what don't" with interest. This year I have three 3rd year Clethra, a 4' Hydrangea macrophylla, a 5' wide Rosa rugosa, and about 20 shrub babies that need to be moved. Will just need to get up and decide to do it one morning this week as I can't use "the ground is too dry" excuse any longer.

Saucy -- I wish I'd known you for as long as everyone else. You seem such fun and have had such an interesting life! If anyone has barged in, it's me, albeit at invitation, and I've NEVER felt so welcome in any group, cyber or live.

May not be around for a few days but will definitely check in on Saturday. All travelers, Mothers, Mothers-in-Law to be, Moms, Wives and Great Gardeners to boot are in my thoughts. (I think that covers everyone :-) And no, Sue, you can have the fun of your financial reports all for yourself. LOL

Martie

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Good morning, all!

Michelle how did DHs sleep study go? I meant to mention that thats neat about your relatives but considering how photogenic you and your family appear to be, I would not be surprised if you were all picked to be models!! Still, its exciting to have celebrities in the family I imagine!

Sue heres hoping you have good weather for your garden jaunt going that distance one would hope you at least have a great weather day for it!

Saucy how neat about the garden program! I say go for it nothing like some "learning" about stuff you love. Saucy, I look forward to "meeting" you here and learning more about you Im definitely a newbie here but have heard of you "often"!! Your reputation precedes you, LOL you better live up to it, heehee

Marian pretty plant Im not familiar with that one, but its gorgeous.

Norma I love that grass I like so many of the ones the idyllers post, but as I have confessed before, Im really wary of them reseeding or becoming 8 feet wide all of a sudden Im such a wimp - but I really like the blue tones of that one you've posted.

Mary glad to hear from you sounds like you had a delightful vacation (may I say I think youve had a really nice, fun summer w/ all the visits havent you?) but its always so great to be back in ones own bed isnt it? How did your celebrity dinner go?

After my cranky post yesterday about nothing blooming & lazy about moving plants, I managed to make a list of whats blooming outside it is actually a lot more than I really thought I had, which is encouraging. So maybe if I DO manage to move some stuff around it will look better than such a hodge podge perhaps that is the heart of my discontent. As the great gardeners here continually say, foliage & texture now if only I could find the magic mix for that.....

Well, I arrived to work w/ rain drops hitting me but I can honestly say there was not a single drop hitting the house or my yard when I left its another batch of those hit & skip weather patterns.... Im going to have to be patient & hope for the remains of Ernesto to hit here by Friday (if it hasnt dissipated by then).

Ei, Babs & Taryn where are you? Maybe some of our "mums" w/ chicks are entangled w/ the new school year, new jobs, (to say nothing of new houses....)??

Speaking of celebrities by osmosis - my boss's son got a job last December writing for the Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart & he got to be part of the staff that went there to collect their Emmy's - w/ their appearances on TV & everything -- previously my boss didnt even have cable and now he watches the Emmys & is passing around by email the video from "InTube" that features the minutes from the show with their win on it -- goes to show what a blood relative's job can do for you!! He might even sign up for cable at long last.....

Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

We went to town last night for a little shopping. I picked up several $1 perennials and a couple of clematis for $2.50 each. (Just when I almost had the pot ghetto empty) The best deal was a medium sized fiberglass urn for $10.00. It has a little damage but was 75% off. That will just have to be the backside.

Cindy, our area was listed as a moderate drought in July and then we got 5" in August. It is amazing how fast the garden can turn around with that much rain. Some of the plants in the veggie garden has have gotten so huge that DH is taking people out just to show them the size.
    DH goes has the sleep study tonight.

Deanne, how did the garden club visit go? Did it rain? Which container won?

Marie, should be on her way.

Marian, yet another plant that I havent heard of. It is very pretty and reminds me of New Guinea Impatiens. Do you bring it in for the winter?

Norma, the Dewey Blue has a nice color to it. Your pond looks great. Id love to see more wide-angle pictures from your garden (hint, hint)

Mary, great to have you back. Belated happy birthday to David. How was your visit with your mum and nephew? It is hard when youve been gone and you come home to an overgrown garden, a mountain of wash and lots of Idyll chatter. It took me a week to catch up after we got back and I dont even have kids at home. Id love to see pictures of the LA Arboretum.

Saucy, the gardening classes sound great.

Michelle

• saucydog
    17 years ago

Marian, my grandmother always grew that plant, but I never knew the name! She called it "hot water plant." I brought some home one year, but left it out too long and killed it....it's tough to be a non-hardy plant at my house :)

I don't know about overwintering the portulaca....do you think it'd survive a basement winter the way geraniums do?

Thank you all so much for making me feel welcome. I really wasn't asking for your sympathy :) I feel like blushing over all the gushing.

I just wanted to express how overwhelmed I'm feeling, I guess.

I'm going to start walking long distances today. I've been walking on a track, but I'm going to try the roads. More up and down hill will be better for the muscles and to change things up a bit.

Maybe someday I'll be able to do a marathon :) I had a girlfriend who lost all her toenails after walking the Jimmy Fund walk....took a year to grow them back! That's discouraging, huh?

Okay, it's time to get going....the sun is almost out so maybe by the time I get home the grass (hayfield) will be dry enough to mow.

OH...before I go. I was thinking of Chelone last night and how scared I was to drive to her house in Maine and meet her for the first time. I remember my mom joked, "if you pull up to the house and there's no garden, only a compost pile, RUN!" It turned out to be a nice garden and an even nicer person :)

I think I'll write a letter to her.

Saucy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Saucy, my MIL called it "Widows Tears". They grow from small tubers, and die down in the fall. I carry them over( in their pot) inside, and restart them in the spring.
    I have never tried overwintering portulaca. I set the pot, that mine are growing in, in the little red barn for the winter. It always reseeds into the pot. It includes both double and single, and many differant colors. I didn't know there were kinds that didn't set seed.

Hmmmmmm, I just went to put a pan of water on the range, to heat up for a cappuccino, and found that we had no water! I had put bedding in the washer and wondered why the flow of hot water was so feeble! It has returned to a trickle. I hope it won't be followed with dirty water. I'd hate to muddy up my sheets and pillowcases. We are near the end of the line, so are one of the last to run out when it goes off. I presume they are working on the line somewhere.

My meds are messing me up today. I think some are not compatible together. I'll change the time of taking some of them. I am groggy and dizzy, and it took much too long for the pain to go away. I am very peeved with the new Doctor. I had specifically told him I can not tolerate antidepressants, and the "sleep" med he prescribed IS an antidepressant! It is Trazodone, and is "a modified cyclic antidepressant". I don't like being 'tricked' ! I quess he didn't think I would read the printout from the pharmacy.

Mary, so good to hear that you had a great vacation in California.
    Your David is about 6 months older than my youngest GD.It sounds like a nice BD dispite your jet lag. My oldest DG starts Middle School this year. The 3 sisters are in 3 differant schools this year, and none are in the one that they all started out in. I try not to think of all that I have missed out on in their young lives.

Martie, I hope your annual check-up goes well. Not a procedure that I enjoy having..:-(

Cindy, I do so hope you will get a good rain from the residual effects of the hurricane. All sorts of wild flowers are appearing since our rains, but no 'tame' ones in our yard.

Norma, I like your pics. Those aren't hardy hibiscus, are they? They look like my tender ones.

I need to get out and mow. The 'lawn' has really grown up again, and going to seed! I think my meds have worn off enough for it to be safe for me to ride the mower.

Teresa, I am so sorry that you are still having drought conditions. How odd that the extreme ends of our country are cursed in the same way. Isn't your area normally rather wet? It is so good to hear the pride in your posts when you speak of the twins. What fun, but how tiring!
    There have never been twins amongst my relatives, or Nolon's. Oooooo, be careful with the rocks. I hope your stings are better. I've read that ammonia will nip the sting in the bud.

Our low last night was mid 50s. I had a light blanket over my sheet, but was still chilly, so put the bedspread over all....then I was too warm. :-) The extended forecast is for highs around 80 and lows in the 50s. Wonderful!

Marian

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Marian, you sure have a lot plants I don't know.That ones blooms look like impatients, or are they more tubular?
    Your right that is a tender Hibiscus. Its one I wintered over last year. It is still in the same pot and will definitely have to be repoted if I save it over again.

Cindy,I know what you mean with reseeding grasses and ones that take over. I'm hoping this one isn't a reseeder. I did notice that the clump that the nursery had planted had sprawled the last time I was there. Thats not a good sign is it?

I will have to poke around under the moss rose to see if it has rooted along the stems. We have a hot dry basement in the winter because of the wood stove. It might do fine there under some lights. I saw this plant at the nursery too. It was sitting in a bird bath and draped over the edges . Looked really neat.

Michelle, I have avoided the long shots of the garden this year since it was such a mess. Nothing finished. Not even the waterfall in the small pond. I couldn't even keep up with the weeds because of the heat and drought. Hopefully next season will be a big improvement. It does look a bit better now since I've been cleaning up.

Mary, your trip sounds like it was so much fun for the family. If you still have my email you could drop me a note. I have been curious who your DHs celebrity friend is. Your whole summer has been exciting.

Still waiting to hear how things went for Deanne and Eden.

So Martie, how many things did you get moved? LOL . Oh I bet Deanne is out digging out plants for you.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Evening all,

Not much time here but I'm going to try to catch up here.

The weather cooperated yesterday and it rained before they showed up and it rained just when we were finishing up walking around the gardens so everything worked out fine. I was surprised at the container they chose. It wasnt even one I was planning to enter. I had an extra photograph so I sent it along. Go figure?

So here is the winning container
    {{gwi:169673}}

Marian, that plant is really pretty. Ive seen it in greenhouses but havent bought one because I figured I have enough things to winter over already. LOL

Norma, love your photos! That blue grass is really lovely. What kind of buddleia is that?

Mary, welcome home!

Martie, when are you going to do all that plant moving around???? Im really looking forward to meeting you in person on Friday. Cant wait!

Cindy, so did that rain turn into anything measurable? ~~ I find that when Im really discouraged with how things look if I just go and do some cleanup and deadheading it improves thing immensely.

Michelle, great score on that urn! Dont you just love to get good stuff cheap???

Saucy, GREAT to see your posts again. Neat that you are going to do long distance walking. How did your first day go???

OK Ive got to get off this computer and get to bed early. Ive got to get an early start in the morning so I can meet up with Sue and Monique for the North Hill garden tour.

Nitey nite!
    Deanne

PS Eden, how did the tour go?

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Norma, Here is another pic I took last year of the Achimenes:
    {{gwi:176054}}
    It is rather tacky, but shows the tubular aspect of the blooms better than the other. I said they grow from "tubers" but my book calls them "rhizomes". They are very small, and there are several in my container. They are in a flat container, but I set it in a hanging pot this year. I like it better.

Deanne, I found that all plant judges are not "created equal"...lol. The judges at the county fairs have huge differances in what they choose as the prettiest. How many were doing the judging of your containers? The one they chose IS very pretty, but a lot "busier" than others that you have shown us. I judged at several differance fairs,( with an assistant), and I am sure some were surprised at our choices for the Grand Champions. It is really a matter of individual taste.

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Odd to spend the night alone. Rick really is never away from home these days. At one point his job required travel but not for about the last 5 years.

Deanne, the container is fabulous as they all seem to be.

I'll leave you all with a picture of someone who's been hanging around lately. Was it Marian that said she liked to see pictures of toads and frogs?

{{gwi:176058}}

• martieinct
    17 years ago

A speedy, orange good morning. The sunrise is making everything outside tangerine. Wish I could bottle that color to put on the walls of my kitchen ...

Need to be in the car heading north in 10 minutes. Tommorrow it'll be a pleasure a I'll be heading to meet and dig with Deanne.

Nothing much new here.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well, and will certainly check in later...

Martie

• saucydog
    17 years ago

It takes me a bit to catch on, but am I to assume that Martie is making the trek to NH to see Deanne? Have fun! Deanne is a great garden host and it's even more spectacular in person. We'll need photographic evidence of the visit, of course.

The toad/frog (how do you tell the difference?) was almost camouflaged, so that I had to look twice to see him.

Mary, I miss San Diego terribly sometimes (usually about February 15th when the snow is piled up to the window sills) and want to visit soon. It is Jake's birthplace so I could use that as an excuse :) I hear the same thing that you report, though - traffic and expansion have made it less fun to live there.

Still, 70 degrees year round is pretty enticing. I got used to the lack of green trees and geraniums that were as big as rhodies.....

I have to figure out the exact mileage of my walk yesterday...too lazy to get in the car and check it. I know it seemed to be all uphill. I made sure I walked 30 minutes away before I turned back because I usually walk an hour on the track. I didn't want to push my luck :)

Anyway, it was challenging and I'm ready to walk to another destination today. Funny how many gardeners there are in my neighborhood that you don't notice when you drive by. This could be counter productive. I could end up knocking on doors and strolling through gardens instead of pushing myself!

Time to get Sarah ready for the bus....she's balking over the whole wheat bagel this morning. Her Nonny (grandma) buys the white ones :)

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

It's chilly here this morning. It's feeling more and more like autumn. That means it's time to start thinking of taking cuttings and making plans on how to overwinter all of the tropical stuff. The garden club tour of my garden went well Monday night if you didn't mind touring a garden in pouring rain and it didn't seem to bother them. They all brought umbrellas. My mom finished up her third treatment yesterday and is doing pretty well. Thanks to those that asked about her.

Michelle, cute little froggie. I'm going to hit the nurseries this weekend and see what trouble I can get into with sales too.

Deanne, beautiful container. I can see why they would pick that one. I'd like to see what the other containers in the contest looked like. My bet is that yours was far and above the most creative.

Martie, you'll have such fun with Deanne tomorrow.

T, you sure are busy with the daughters and grandchildren. Sounds like you're enjoying every minute of it though. I was surprised when we first got Bella how much taking care of her tired me out so I can understand that you're feeling a little worn out.

Cindy, you must be getting some rain now from what I'm seeing on the weather channel. Sure hope so.

Norma, love that blue switchgrass. Glad your back held up for you during your trip.

Saucy, from my experience with David, boys seem to forget they have a brain around age 12. He was so forgetful and disorganized at that age. I thought he was much easier than the girls to get through the teenage years though. They do grow up and get some sense again and become wonderful people. Just so you know.

No plans here this weekend. It's Brad's birthday tomorrow so we'll probably celebrate that in some way or another. I'm looking forward to just hanging out around the house. There's always one project or another to get involved in around here.

I've got Bella coming in a little while so need to get a couple of things done before she arrives. Have a great day. Wish I was with Sue, Les, Monique and Deanne today. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Eden

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Michelle, I like frogs and toads both in pics and in 'person'...:-) That is a pretty leopard frog. I have seen a few in our yard this summer, also toads, lizards and skinks. I like them all.

It is still working on getting up to 70F. I love it!

Nolon is anxiously awaiting his trip to the Short Stop for his Birthday Hamburger. I am sure that is all he will want, plus french fries. Shirley. the owner, will probably have some cake for him.
    His middle sister has already called him to wish him a happy birthday. He has 3 sisters. The other 2 had birthdays this month and we forgot to call them. :-(

Has anyone heard from Brenda? It's been a long time since she last posted.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Dont look now, but my desk is clean! What a good feeling that is. I have a much better handle on what needs to be done and feel like I can get a few things knocked out today. A major work-related announcement may be coming after the holiday. (Am I a tease?)

Deanne, I love the container that won the contest. Of course, I love all your containers! Glad that the rain cooperated yesterday. You and the CT crowd should have a great time at North Hill today. Once again, Im jealous!

Michelle, I loved that frog photo. He sure was hard to spot. I had one on the window next to the front door the other night, and Mystic was mystified by the frog.

Saucy, good job on your walking! I should really make more time in my day for walking; maybe you will be my inspiration to get my own tush moving.

Eden, wish Brad a happy Birthday from me! Just hanging around the house for a weekend is NOT a bad thing.

Marian, I was just thinking of Brenda this morning. (Okay, I drove past the pig farm this morning.) I hope all is well with her and that she drops in sometime soon. I enjoyed your goat pics and didnt notice the puppy the first time.

Time to go for now. Enjoy the day were definitely having early fall weather today and I love it.

V.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Tomorrow I go to Deanne's .... tomorrow I go to Deanne's.

What a whirlwind week.

The weather has started me thinking about mounding up roses a bit. It just feels odd for this time of year. Saturday and Sunday we're supposed to get what's left of Ernesto. But Monday "...sunny, High 83deg, low humidity...." Guess who's gonna play in the gardens all weekend!! Yippee!!

Must say right now Deanne: That's my favorite container, too. Everything in it is balanced. Foliage pattern and shape, height of plants, shades of color. "I get to see it in person, I get to see it in person."

Okay, all the jealousy toward Idyllunion attendees has been sung away. LOL

See you All tomorrow :-)

Martie

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Where is everybody today? I only had Bella until 4pm so I'm sitting here tonight trying to think of something I'd like to do. I may take the dog for a walk. I just finished baking peanutbutter cookies. The classics with the fork tine marks on top. I got a couple of hydrangeas little honeys in the mail today that I forgot I'd ordered. That was a nice surprise.

V, you've been so productive! It's a good feeling isn't it? Wondering what the big announcement will be...

I've wondered about Brenda too. Maybe she'll drop back in after farming season's over.

Marian, hope you and Nolon enjoyed his birthday dinner at the One Stop. Thanks for the link about it BTW.

Saucy, good for you taking the time for your walks. Neat that you get to see some gardens along the way. I always make it a point to drive by cool gardens I know of even if they're a little out of my way.

Deanne and Martie have fun tomorrow!

It's been windy and cool today. My largest brug was blown over and a couple of the top branches broke. The forecast looks like 70s for highs and 50s for lows for the next couple of weeks. Wonder if we're going to have an early winter? Hope not!

Off to walk Bud before it gets dark. He's waiting.

Eden

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Deanne , That Buddleia is Called 'White Ball', tag says its a hybrid drawf variety. I like it because it stays 3x3. zone 6-9

Your winning container has a nice mix of color and texture. Thats probably what they were looking for.

Eden, I'm happy to hear your mom is doing pretty good. I hope she continues to do well.
    I imagine the ladies were so intent on looking at your garden that they didn't mind the rain at all. I'm sure I would be.

Marain, I bet Nolan enjoyed his birthday lunch. It's getting hard for me to keep up with all the birthdays in the family.

Yes V, you are a tease. I can understand though if you don't want to jinx anything. I thought of you and Ei as we drove through IL last weekend, although we were nowhere near you.

Saucy, when I worked I liked to walk on my lunch time and view all the yards in the nearby neighborhoods. I'm really missing my walking especially this time of year. I guess I need to break down and go to the chiropractor and get this hip straighten up so I can walk.

Its been cloudy here all week. The plants have all had a good rest but I think they need a little sun. I finally mowed the new grass this evening. It was really a bit to damp but it was getting so tall I was afraid it would fall over on itself. It is so nice to see the green where it has been dirt for so long.

Honey, I know you are busy, but sometime could you post a picture of your Purple Smoke tree (bush ?). I have one in the ghetto to plant but am having a hard time visualizing what it will look like.

Later Norma

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good evening all,

What an absolutely, over the top, fantastic day I had!!!!! (See Eileen, I can use exclamation points too!!!! BTW I miss you.) Anyway, the day was perfect. North Hill is an amazing garden with an unbelievable collection of trees and shrubs. We all want to go back in June and see the stream bed filled with primula. It is supposed to be wonderful. So many beautiful vistas. Sue and Monique can give you a better description of all the plants as they are more knowledgeable than I am with plant IDs. Then we had a lovely lunch in the picturesque town of Wilmington VT, went back to Burlington and stopped at this amazing deli/bakery where we indulged in decadent desserts and bought selections to take home for our dinners. (Like we needed dinner after the lunch and the dessert.) They had dinner plate sized cookies, and this chocolate mousse cake that had a lovely hint of orange in the mousse. We also sampled their carrot cake and this wonderful custard/almond concoction that was out of this world and into the next. We bought these four different desserts, found a picnic table next to a covered bridge and split them four ways so we all got to sample a bit of the different desserts. Oh yes they also offered Starbucks coffee so I had a lovely coffee to wash the decadent desserts down with so life just doesnt get better.

Michelle, I just love the frog picture! I had to look at the photo a few times before I saw him in the pic. Talk about cryptic coloration! Very neat! ~~ Have you heard any results from Ricks sleep testing yet?

HI Saucy, yes indeed Martie is coming to visit tomorrow. I just got off the phone with her and I can hardly to finally meet her in person. How cool is this forum where Ive met so many terrific people who also happen to be gardeners. ~~ Good for you with doing your walk today. An hour is a great workout.

Eden, so sorry you had rain for your garden tour but Im not surprised that the rain didnt bother them at all and they brought umbrellas and did the tour anyway. I know they had a great time. I wish Id been there. Id love to see your gardens again. ~~ Glad to hear your Mom is doing well. ~~ I was thinking of you today when I was looking at my enormous Rex begonia and trying to figure out where to put it over the winter. What do you do with yours? Do you keep them under lights? ~~ I wish youd been with us today. We had a great day. ~~ Too funny that you ordered little honeys and didnt remember youd done that. We were talking about that plant today.

Marian, I hope Nolon had a great birthday. Wish him a happy birthday for me. Did he have his birthday burger???

Norma, thanks for the ID on the buddleia. I really like that plant. ~~ BTW, you really do need to get yourself up and running so to speak so you can get back to your walking. If I dont get my exercise on a regular basis I start feeling pretty lousy.

OK Ive got to get ready for bed so I can get to the gym early and get ready for my visit from Martie! Cant wait until tomorrow.

Nitey nite everyone,
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

A stressful couple of days here. DH has been having periods of dizziness and feeling faint for many weeks now. His Doc started ruling out the most common suspects (inner ear etc) and moved on to an MRI just before we went to CA. This came back clear, but the dizzy/faint spells have continued and yesterday the Dr had DH admitted for a whole slew of tests. Its been a couple of days of running back and forward to the hospital and I'm feeling rather fried at the moment. I guess we might know more tomorrow.

Eden - thats great that your Mom's treatment is progessing well so far. Happy birthday to Brad.

Cindy - you're right, we've had a wonderful summer with various family members. We've also been very lucky that we've had frequent flyer tickets and Marriott points to take care of all our flights and accomdation. Hope you are enjoying a lovely long rain right now.

Michelle - how did Rick's test go? Very cool froggy. I'm a fan of all frogs and toads, the wartier the better!

Marian - another thing I wanted to ask you about - you mentioned a hot air balloon ride. It sounds very cool - is that a possibility?

Hope Martie and Deanne have fun tomorrow.

Saucy - good for you for getting into an exercise routine. Its something I'm looking forward to setting up when we're back in the school routine. The summer is always piecemeal, with gardening abd swimming providing daily if not aerobic exercise.

V - enjoy your weekend with your DD and DS. It must b fun to get to hear about the first couple of weeks at school.

Deanne - that is a gorgeous container - congratulations on winning the competition. I might have missed it, but did you give your Color Theory talk already?

Looking forward to hearing about the North Hill gardens.

Babs - just give us a quick thumbs up if the job is going well;0)

Well, just posting this has allowed me to unwind a little. Thinking about all the friends here adn wondering what they are doing is a great diversion.

have a good evening everyone - especially those I missed.

Mary

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Oh Mary, I hope this is nothing serious. I know it is stressful not knowing. I'm sending good vibes. Norma

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deanne is right, we had the perfect day. I did screw up the directions a bit so we went on an half hour tour of southern VT that was not entirely necessary but we got to see the sights...lol. If you ever get a chance to visit the garden at North Hill in Readsboro, VT, it's well worth the trip. Seven acres of cultvated gardens just filled with vistas of ingeniously placed woody plants with streams and fieldstone paths crisscrossing through the whole property. For a zone 5 garden there were an amazing amount of tender and tropical plants. The woodies were mixed with an array of hardy groundcovers and reseeders no doubt to keep maintenance at a minimum. Unfortunately they didn't allow cameras or else Deanne would no doubt be treating you to one of her famous photo journals. No surprise that we also made food part of the experience...lol.

Martie and Deanne have fun tomorrow at your lunch/garden tour. Martie you only think that is your favorite container of Deanne's. Wait until you see them all in person. I wish I could join you but I have to go to work.

Deanne, Monique and I still think Monday will be the best day weatherwise for a Labor Day get together. How about dinner here and dessert at Monique's? Tom wants to do surf and turf on the grill with swordfish and filets. I'll get some fresh corn on the cob from one of the local farmstands and make a big veggie saute. If Doug smokes that salmon, he's in...lol. As usual, any other local idyllers are welcome to join us-just let me know so I make sure I have enough food.

Eden, I'm so glad your mom is doing well. A rainy garden showing? What's so unusual about that? lol At least gardeners are good sports about the kind of stuff, right?

Saucy, I'm so glad you're back with your daily reports. Since last summer I've been doing alot of walking too-on a treadmill much of the time but outside whenever I get the chance and have the time. I also got serious again about weight training and I took up Pilates. What a difference in this 46 year old body...lol.

Happy Birthday to Nolon. Tom will be 60 in January. I'm trying to decide if I want to have a party to mark the milestone or not.

OK, I'm beat and it's getting close to bedtime. Too much fun can be tiring.

Sue

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Sue, Your description of North Hill Gardens paints a pretty picture in my mind. Wish I could have been there. Norma