Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Idyll #488 - August Annuals

deanneart
13 years ago

So here we are heading to the end of summer when the annuals are at their best. Let's show our photos of our late summer annuals showing off their colors!

{{gwi:176095}}

Deanne

Comments (100)

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Hey folks, just checking in. Have been enjoying all the great pics.

Candy sorry to read about your father-in-law. Not easy to deal with so I'm wishing for the best scenario possible.

Cindy Stella is so cute, and how great that you , Deanne and Doug had a fun weekend together.

Bug I love that picture of Phoebe. Frameable for sure.

I want to be on Saucy's vacation. Looks so relaxing.

As far as annuals go. I don't have many this year mostly what reseeded and what I bought on clearance. I was reluctant to pay the prices for them in the spring, and what I did buy didn't do that great. I'm for sure going to direct sew more annuals next spring.
    I think we were to wet and cool early on. The containers didn't like being constantly wet. I alo think the potting soil I used was just to acid. I have started making my own mix from garden soil and compost.

We are still pretty green here for the latter part of august. Treewise anyway. The grass is browning out somewhat from the extreme heat. Due to the lack of annuals my garden is kind of blah right now. I am still reworking beds in the backyard. We had a couple of nice days temp wise but it is going back up again. I usually quit working early afternoon and have been doing some reading.

So happy for Woody to have her tuteur installed in the garden. I really like it.

Kathy, love your blog. Hope your having a good time and congrats to DD on the job. Thats terrific news for sure.

Cyn the schools have started here too, but many are letting out early due to the heat.

Not much new around here. Callee is feeling pretty good after being so sick. She is looking for a job too. I hope something opens up for her now that many have gone back to school.

Julie I can just picture Adrian trying to be of help with the overflow. I ha'ven't had anything like that for a long time and hope not to.

Chelone how goes the wireless? There's always next year for the gardens. Right?

Waving to all. Norma

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Oh so cute and tiny Bug.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Greetings from Portland..just a few photos today..

A couple view from the BILs front garden {{gwi:176130}}From 2010-08-19
    {{gwi:176132}}From 2010-08-19

Rose Garden at Washington Park {{gwi:176134}}From 2010-08-19
    {{gwi:176136}}From 2010-08-19

Joy Creek tomorow !

• deanneart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Morning all,

WeÂve been pretty busy here with a couple dinner parties this week, one again tonight, birthday party for MJ, then the CT IU gang is coming up on Sunday for a garden party. IÂll jut bet it rains! LOL The gardens here are looking like mid to late September at the moment. Some of the hosta foliage is beginning to turn, the phlox are done their first flush of bloom and the daylilies are just looking worn out. The third tier in the terrace garden is really sad and IÂm thinking I need to cut it back to the ground and put in a layer of compost to clean it up. So much to do!

Kathy, love the pics! Your BILÂs garden is lovely and those roses are to die for. IÂm guessing it hasnÂt been 95 degrees out all summer there. Looking forward to more pics.

Norma, so glad to hear Callee is feeling better.

Bug, love the hat and papoose. DonÂt know how you can stand to knit in the summer. LOL

Cindy, Hard to believe it was a week ago already we came to visit. So happy you like the annual pic. Thanks!

Saucy, love the pic of the girls at the beach! Looks and sounds like you are having a terrific vacation.

OK IÂve got to get my day started and get the watering done. Have a terrific day everyone

Deanne

Should anyone be interested I finally finished up the gallery of pics from the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Museum. I'm not particularly an airplane person but it was an amazing museum wiht a fabulous collection

Here is a link that might be useful: Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Yeaaaa for Friday..... yeaaa for Kathy's DD landing a hoped-for job.... yeaaa for Norma's DGD feeling better.....yeaaaa for 'bug's adorable ensemble for the newest to-be munchkin.....Yeaaaa it's going to be cooler this weekend!!

-Cindy

• chelone
    13 years ago

Wireless is not going very well. All requisite "service packs" are in place. All the information contained on CDs that came with the wireless router and the adapter has been pumped into the computer. The signal is being sent and BIL's laptop picked it up perfectly and received it at 5 bars out in the Salon. However, there seems to be a problem with my machine... it either can't or won't connect to the internet wirelessly.

After two days of farting around trying to get it to work the problem still hasn't revealed itself. I'm terribly discouraged by it all.

In my own pea brain it seems as though there are two "doors" to the internet and my machine keeps going to the old one, rather than going to the new one offered by the wireless router. I don't understand any of it and that makes it even more frustrating because I don't even know how to describe what's going on/or not. (And if I hear one more crack about buying a Mac I think I will either A.) cry or, B.) break something over his head). Neither of which will get me one step closer to the ultimate destination.

Glad you asked, Norma? ;)

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Wonderful outing today to Joy Creek and Cistus, more nursery crawling on the agenda for tommorow !

A few pics from Joy Creeks display gardens: {{gwi:176139}}From 2010-08-20
    {{gwi:176142}}From 2010-08-20
    {{gwi:176146}}From 2010-08-20
    {{gwi:176149}}From 2010-08-20
    {{gwi:176150}}From 2010-08-20
    {{gwi:176151}}From 2010-08-20

Kathy in Portland

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Joy indeed! Grasses with Sedum and a hose... That's what this time of year brings! Thanks Kathy!

Chelone, I'm with you on computer technology. I'm the last one to be helped too because everyone else's work is far more important than mine, or so they believe. Grrrr.

It is already cooler here and I accomplished some yucky stuff in the cleanup department outdoors. I'm afraid I need many more days of work there though to complete the weeding in that area. I wish I could afford slaves. I have been attacked by stinging nettles.

Tonight DGS returns on a bus from his first overnight camp experience and has dinner with Ivy, DD & his Dad. A nice chance to chat about his week! Then back to his Mom's.

'bug

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Good morning! It is cool and crisp like Fall is in the air and Zeus and I took the longest walk of our vacation. He's napping in his crate and I'm enjoying a cup of decaf.

On today's menu: kayaking the Songo River with a picnic before we paddle back up river. Tonight we pack and either leave tonight or early in the morning depending on how Nick feels (I'm betting on the morning since we're having a birthday dinner for him tonight).

Joy Creek and Cistus! Wow! I want to be on Kathy's trip (though mine is nice). I'm having floral withdrawels up here in Maine and no matter how I tried, I couldn't get the family to get on board with the botanical garden.

Sadly, I am the computer repair person in our home and I must research all my problems heavily before I can even begin to understand the scope of the work! I am disgusted that a computer, which I believed would do EVERYTHING (I got this idea from cartoons), can't fix itself! Geez. Wish I was there, Chelone, I could at least scratch my head with you.

Okay, I'll leave you with a picture of Jake in our boat hammock (we pack it in the boat, find a beach and set it up)...you see boats in the inlet behind Jake, as we're on a sort of pennisula.

{{gwi:176152}}

Have a great day!

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Late summer brings such interesting transitional moods, waiting for something to happen, leaving or returning from vacations. This idyll seems full of that mood, with travel pictures, knitted garments, new puppy pictures. Not to mention the arrival of Woody's splendid tuteur!

Can't wait for more PNW photos. Is that Clematis balearica? And get a load of that stand of helenium. Dang!

Wondeful to see Jake's smile in that hammock. What a great vacation, Saucy.

Candy, I'm so sorry to hear the news of illness and upheaval in your family. Steady on, and let us know how it goes.

Sounds like Cyn is back to school. Duncan started his new semester too,

Things are quiet around here, knock wood. Ein's recovery is going really well, and he's surprisingly spunky in the collar of shame. What a good patient.

Waving to all. Beautiful Saturday here, slightly cooler, probably only upper 80s today.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

A much-needed 1 1/2" of rain overnight and this morning! The garden is breathing a sigh of relief I'm sure :-)

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

DH worked on bridge repairs last evening and then we went out for dinner. And then, YES, rain last night here as well.

This morning I moved 3 clematis and planted another. Weeded, watered, etc. Good weather for it!

Time for making some lunch for the 'boss'.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

One of those wake-up moments this evening.
    I received an email from an old boyfriend who by coincidence was attending out of state services at the church which my brother attends. It seems my brother lost consciousness during the service...and was attended to by several friends and emergency medical people. It is suspected that hypoglycemia may be the cause.
    My brother is a hypochondriac, and I am sure that he is alarmed. I do not know where he is spending the night, whether with friends or at the hospital.
    And so the wake-up call is to make sure that I have phone numbers to gather information on him. He lives in NJ, while I live in Canada.... and I have sent email but can't do much else at the moment.
    I think of the brother & sister stories from my Idyll friends: V, Brenda, Chelone, Deanne, Eden, Woody and others. Family is a blessing as well as a great concern...

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

We have returned. Glacier was fabulous. The weather was a joy. It was warm during the day but cooled at night. The humidity and mosquitoes that we have this summer were absent. We didn't run into any bears either.

It looks like Saucy and family had an equally good time on their vacation.

I'm quite envious of Kathy's nursery crawls on her vacation and the BIL's have a pretty special garden as well.

Deanne and Cindy, what fun to have a mini IU. How nice that you indulged Doug and were able to have a garden fix all in the same trip.

As for the pets, Stella is adorable with those dark eyes and nose. I was reminded of Phoebe at a rest stop where there wasn't one but two of her cousins.

Candy, so sorry to hear of your FIL's stroke. Like the others have mentioned you have a support group here or a get-a-way which ever you need.

'bug, we ate at a restaurant last summer that served a large popover with your meal. I love them.

Norma, so glad to hear that your GD is feeling better.

Kathy, what great news about your DD's job. That has to be the pits to want to work and not be able to find something suitable.

With all the rain we had before we left, the gardens, lawn and weeds all grew unbelievably. So that will be the task for the week is to get things in order. I may just leave the containers in the potting area since in a mere week and 1/2 we will leave again for our annual family camping trip at the lakes. Hopefully, our camper will be repaired by then. We had a little accident while we were in Glacier. Nothing serious but it does need attention. We also had to spend a little time at the repair shop. The pickup was making a noise. Rick knew what it was and said it would be best to fix it before it actually broke. We were happy that they could get it right in, had the part and it was relatively inexpensive.

I'd best get to bed.

Michelle

• deanneart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Afternoon all,

Well IÂm plum tuckered out. Between our four day trip to DC, returning last Monday, entertaining Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday IÂve declared today a day of rest. WeÂve gotten some lovely rain in the last 24 hours and today is a beautiful 62 degrees outside with heavy overcast. IÂm loving it!!!! ItÂs hard to believe, but what a treat to have a cool damp day for a change. The gardens are loving it as well and look pretty perky this today.

IÂve finally gotten the rest of the photos from our DC trip downloaded and edited and I thought youÂd all enjoy a few pics from CindyÂs gardens. IÂve included a link to a gallery below. This was one of my favorite combinations. I need to find some space to include those two clematis here. So very pretty!

{{gwi:176153}}

I also really love her front garden. Such a great selection and combination of plants.
    {{gwi:176155}}

Michelle, so glad you had a great vacation. IÂm waiting for pics? I canÂt believe youÂve had so much rain when weÂve been so dry this summer. YesterdayÂs rain was the first since May that soaked under the trees in the back yard. What a relief. The weather people are predicting more rain for late this afternoon and tonight and IÂm hoping for another good soaking.

Woody and Bug, we got that rain here too! What a relief!

Bug, I hope your brother is OK.

Denise, so nice to hear from you and glad that Ein is doing well. So true about this time of year being full of transitions. The days are noticeably shorter and quite a few of our trees are beginning to color up early after the dry summer. The Mountain Ash berries are orange now and itÂs losing its leaves. Fall will be here in a blink of an eye.

Saucy, so glad you and family had a terrific vacation

Kathy, those photos from Joy Creek are splendid!!!!! IÂm wondering how they keep that bamboo in check! Have you been to Swan Island Dahlias yet? That should be incredible t his time of the year.

Chelone, I surely hope youÂve gotten your wireless issues resolved now.

OK must run, have a great day
    Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Cindy's Garden

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Home again, and greeted by the hottest day I think weÂve had this summer..more for tomorrow. And back to the awfice !

I had a very nice trip, though short  had some great meals, visited gardens, bought plants, watched baseball games on an HD boob tube ..just a fine time all in all. I have more photos to share and will put them up sometime this week .

I fear that I will not catch up well here, but have taken note of Chelones WiFi woes (donÂt feel badly, my BILs have wireless and didnÂt know it , had to call Qwest for their password so I could get into the network ) and I assume you have done all the basic windows diagnostics ?

Welcome home Michelle ! Will we have some photos ? ItÂs astonishing how few days it takes of neglect for the garden to look unkempt.

Deanne, thanks for posting those pics of Cindys garden ! It always amazes me to see how lush places with summer rain look Âeven Oregon is pretty much bone-dry. I put some photos up of Swan Island on my blog last night , and will put up more here as well- I took a bunch !

All for tonight , waving and reading along..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Ahh, the pictures. For some reason my old computer thinks that 450 pictures is just too many to upload. I've been working on deleting duplicate or near duplicate pictures.

There's a possibility of rain tonight and surprisingly we do need it. Since its so hot things dry out fast. Tonight I tackled Marvin Gardens, in case you have forgotten this is my wildflower area named after my dad who gave me the seeds. There was a large amount of giant ragweed. Some of it was nearly 8' high and loaded with seed. I knew it was time to work there.

Cindy, how nice to have Deanne photograph your garden. Its like inviting a professional photographer over to shoot your garden. I'm sure its fun to see it through another's eyes as well. I'd love an ID on the pink and the white clems.

I've bookmarked and have been enjoying Kathy's blog. You've done a wonderful job with it.

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday Deanne !!
    {{gwi:176156}}From Portland 2010

• saucydog
    13 years ago

{{gwi:176157}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

{{gwi:176158}}

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I'm so glad I checked in today - lots of exciting news -- Happy happy Birthday, Deanne!!! I hope you have a lovely day. (This container I call my Deanne pot...)

{{gwi:176159}}

--Cindy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Happy birthday, Deanne! Hope it is delightful!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

{{gwi:153237}}From Drop Box

Deanne, nothing in my yard is pretty enough got your birthday, so I went back to the Phila. Flower Show pics! :)

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Happy birthday, Deanne!

{{gwi:176160}}

(from South Coast Botanic Garden, not mine. This datura was massive.)

Cindy, I loved seeing your garden through Deanne's camera. What a cool entryway you've made.

Hope your computer sorts itself out, Michelle. Awaiting photos...waving to all. Stay cool!

13 years ago

{{gwi:176161}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

We take the good with the bad.

First off, my brother has an aneurism in the back of his brain that will be operated on, not yet sure when.

On the good side of things, DD has professional photos of them taken a while ago. I've seen a handful, but there will be more in a week or so.

I'm in a moody state, thinking about these things, the Make-a-Wish trip Skyler will likely be taking (with whom?), the expansion of our gravel pit, the emptying of the festival staging from our barn, the start of classes for DH, the weeding which never ends, the new baby! It's enough to make an old woman stressed.

{{gwi:176163}}

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

'bug, Im sorry to hear of your brother's illness - I hope it goes well for him. Life is such a series of highs and lows isnt it? One never knows from day to day what to expect.

I love that beautiful photo of your DD -- I have news on that front as well, but not with anything so lovely as that photo.....

Sunday evening August 22 brought the arrival of Isla Charlotte W. -- 3 weeks early -- things were a bit dicey but have improved to lovely -- parents went home today and we are hoping Isla will depart tomorrow. It's Scottish name pronounced "Eyela" for anyone curious... the much kept secret name that they wanted no comments or discussions on, LOL....and then Charlotte is for my marvelous MIL who's been such a glorious grandmother to my DD and friend to me as well.... I was very pleasantly surprised they sought to honor her. Isla is petite right now, at 6 lbs and 18 inches....

Here is glowing Mom and Isla:

{{gwi:176165}}

Thanks for the kind words re the front garden and Deanne's gorgeous photos -- it's always a work in progress for me -- and that's a year to year project, LOL.

Michelle -- those 2 clems are Cl. texensis Duchess of Albany that bloomed for a long time and then just started a rebloom along with Cl. Paul Farges that's been going since late July. It gets huge - 20 feet in all directions but on my fence it kind of cascades over shrubs and things and I like the look. I seem to end up with a lot of white at this time of the year.

August has been a whirlwind for me......maybe that's the blur of white, and of course there's white Stella in my house too, crazy little pup whose antics delight me every day...

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Hi Nana Cindy! What a lovely photo you have shared with us! Isla Charlotte is a beautiful name, especially with the sentimental bits added on. (My friend's daughter is Aila.) DD's first child was 6 pounds even at birth...and 2 weeks early. He was healthy as can be.
    Isla's look in Mom's direction is adorable and the hair is wonderful too! I guess you'll keep her? ;)
    {{gwi:176167}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

There's a full moon and coyotes howling and Ms Phoebe is agitated.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Aw Cindy, she looks so sweet, and seems to have her mothers features. Congratulations to all of you. Enjoy her! I'm so happy it turned out ok.

Bug, I really like that photo of DD.
    I hope the aneurism operation goes well for DB. My younger brother had one and I remember a really long operation, but that was a long time ago and I'm sure things have improved since then.
    Having just gone through a stressful time I know how you are feeling.

Happy Birthday Deanne! I hope you have been enjoying your day.

Norma

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Oh Cindy what exciting news! I'm glad to hear that things are going well now. Your daughter looks so happy with her new little one. I love the name and I'm glad you added the pronunciation. Congratulations Grandma!

'bug, Sarah is positively glowing. What a lovely photo. Sorry to hear about your brother. I hope it goes well for him - scary stuff.

Some stunning photos for Deanne's birthday. Please tell me that I'm not the only one that see's Kathy's message in foreign looking letters. Earlier when I looked they were regular letters. Weird!

Tonight was a elevator supper of which Brenda can identify. It was the open house of the new high tech fertilizer plant which was Rick's SIL's project. There was a tour of the facility as well.

Upon return home I picked a huge basket of tomatoes, a couple of beets and lots of weeds.

I hope Deanne had a day as special as she is.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

We have finally had our heat, and it didnÂt arrive subtlety either, hitting 100 plus in many parts of our valley today. ItÂs expected to start cooling off tomorrow, in the meantime IÂve been hiding inside but I need to venture out and water the containers at some point.
    DD has had her 1st couple days ate her new job and all goes well thus far, and DS has won the lead in the college repertory theater production of Alladin - his 1st lead role and heÂs really excited about it !

Cindy, new Mom and baby look lovely ! What a pretty girl your DS is !

And Âbug, wonderful photo of Sarah, bonding with the little one. Good vibes out to your brother, I hope his road is smooth.

ItÂs getting dark, so I better suck it up and go water the pots !

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    13 years ago

What a beautiful new baby, Cindy! Mother looks happy, too. I love her name and it's significance.

GB, I am sorry to hear your brother will need an operation. I hope you hear more news soon and that it is good news. It is hard to be far away from family.

Sarah always looks radiant through pregnancy! It's nice to have a professional photo to capture the mood.

I heard my first coyotes while in Maine. It was 3 a.m. and a bright cool night when they were howling. I saw lots of porcupines crossing the roads this year, too. I guess they're impervious to coyotes :)

This is the third day of rain, and while I don't want to complain, I can see a direct correlation between my mood and the weather. I don't feel like doing anything! I wanted to get the house organized. Ha!

When the weather does return to "normal" it is going to be hot hot hot again. We wouldn't want you to suffer alone, Kathy :)

Michelle, did you come home with any pictures to share of your vacation? I'd love to see. An elevator picnic sounds fun :)

I guess I'm going to leave the computer and go make a cup of coffee. I've got a bit of a sore throat this morning and I'm hoping a hot liquid will soothe it. Have a good day, folks!

Saucy

• deanneart
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

What a busy time here in the last 24! Wow, many, many thanks for all the beautiful birthday greetings.

Bug, love the pic of your lovely daughter. ~ So sorry to hear about your brother.

Cindy, huge congratulations to you and family for your lovley new granddaughter! Fabulous!

Kathy, bummer about the heat. Hope your gardens aren't suffering too badly. If the plants haven't been dealing with that kind of heat it can really toast things in no time. ~~ So happy for your DD's new job and glad to hear it's going well.

Saucy, The rain the last several days has left me with a feeling of inertia. It's been so long that I've had to water, water, water every day that the respite from that task is leaving me feeling like a lump in my easy chair. I'm getting that urge to do something about major fall cleaning though. Must be the day length. Seems I get a desire to clean in February then again in September. I started washing windows last week. LOL Must be why it's finally raining.

Michelle, nope, Kahty's message is in regular letters. That's really strange. ~~ Did you say 8' tall ragweed???? Holy moly!

So I always remember V's birthday because its the day after mine.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY V!

{{gwi:176169}}

Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• saucydog
    13 years ago

{{gwi:176171}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

{{gwi:176173}}

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Happy birthday, V!
    (I have to laugh posting this little guy after Deanne's. Stunning photo, Deanne! I won't even say how many tries it took me just to get this, and he's even sitting still!)

{{gwi:176176}}

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday, V!

{{gwi:176178}}

--Cindy

• chelone
    13 years ago

Is there no end to this madness? more kids? what's the world coming to? it's gone mad, I tellya!

(OK, so some good wishes are in order, Cindy... but did you have to get that damn puppy, too?).

:)

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

{{gwi:176180}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Happy, happy birthday, V!
    {{gwi:153211}}From Drop Box

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Congratulations, Grandma Cindy! Beautiful, beautiful girls!

'bug, Sarah looks luminous in that picture. Also, sending good energy your brother's way. Maybe the weeding could become a therapeutic exercise???

Chelone, you really do make me laugh. Hope the wireless is working and the awfice isn't too bad.

Saucy, hope the sore throat faded away. If not, lemon, honey, and bourbon might work. Of course, you could skip the first two ingredients and just go to the third and that will work, too! lol.

Kathy, sorry about the heat. We finally have a break in that this week. Ground here is still way dry, though.

Deanne, I never tire of your spectacular photography. That hummer is wonderful.

Denise, too funny-I like your bird photo, too!

Back to school next week. The in-service last week was just a one day thing. Hoping to win the lottery before Monday. Unlikely since I doubt I will actually stop to buy a ticket! heehee. It sure is going to be hard to go to work all day when DH gets to stay home. Oh well. It will be good to see all my kiddoes in two weeks.

Gotta run! Waving...

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday V!

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday V !!!
    {{gwi:176181}}From Idyllunion 7

13 years ago

{{gwi:176182}}

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

My new desk has arrived at the office. It looks huge and bare, especially compared to my rather cluttered current desk. We started interviewing today so I will need to move soon. 27 years of accumulation in the current desk. It may be just like moving to a new house and lots will get pitched. I was quite giddy when I saw all the drawers had the full extension glides and are self-closing. I think the two young cabinet builders that built and installed it thought I was a bit off.

I actually mixed up some concrete tonight and cast a large castor bean leaf. Of course you never mix up the right amount so there was enough left for a alocasia 'Coffee Cups' leaf and then with still more left I dug a mold out of the basement of a butterfly stepping stone. I've never used it, but I figured Kenzie would love it for her garden. There was the perfect amount of cement to fill the mold.

It was a beautiful day today and the evening was practically cool.

Deanne, I am once again absolutely amazed at your photography skills.

Saucy, I don't believe I've ever seen a porcupine. I don't imagine that they have a lot of enemies, somewhat like a skunk. Your lavender picture reminds me of a recipe that I heard on TV last night for lavender cranberry lemonade. I thought it sounded so good. One of my lavenders is blooming I may have to try it.

I just pulled two trays of oven dried roma tomatoes from the oven. I had sprinkled them with a rosemary garlic seasoning, so the house smells divine. I think I'll have a couple with some fresh parmesan cheese on top. I made roasted beets for dinner after 'bug gave me the idea. They were delicious as well.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Theres nothing like a late summer 3-day heatwave to spur one on to sharpen the pruners and stage the yard waste bins. My poor plants were not hardened off for 100 degrees , thus there will be a major dead-head and Âsummer dormant pruning going on here this weekend. Not to mention the grocery store-the meals have been pretty unimpressive since my return from Oregon. I didnÂt add my usual Ârecuperation day to the trip , so the larder is bare.

Michelle, I always feel so inadequate when I read about all the stuff you do after the awfice ! I try to get home between 4:30 and 5 but always feel too burnt out to do anything of substance . I try to do one small chore at least every day  today I swept the floor and paid bills.

All for now, almost bedtime !

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Kathy - you took the words out of my mouth -- I'm always amazed at all the things folks here do after work -- like they take on a whole new energetic field.... Stella's lucky to get my attention for a couple hours and that's it...

I'm kind of drooling tho at the sound of those oven tomatoes, Michelle -- Yum - I bet they'd be good breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Kathy - congrats on the good employments news for your chicks -- it's great when things start to work out for them isnt it? Especially in this terrible economy -- so many folks still looking and scrounging for opportunities. I hope it is continued good fortune for them.

Hey - wow - a Chelone sighting -- those nasty little urchins will bring her out, LOL. I'll try to keep the drool to a minimum, but not sure I can guarantee that re the hated dogs...

Puppies are such amusement (and exasperation too, I'd forgotten that part).... It took me an hour last nite to assemble a new pet gate for the kitchen door opening -- and it took Stella exactly 2 minutes to figure out how to walk thru one of the areas ( apparently a 2.5 inch opening is just enuf for a 3 lb to squeeze thru, despite assurances it wouldn't happen)... so much for that gate! Now I have to disassemble and return and go in search of another one, darn it..... in the meantime, the walker today will find 2 gates up - back to back -- as I didnt have time to take the new one down and had to ensure she wouldnt be mosing about the place in my absence....

The heat is returning here, altho only upper 80s... I had to drag the hose out tho and Stella had fun jumping and chasing the sprinkles and spray.

--Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Think I'll close this puppy out.. pretty sure everyone except Michelle the Night Owl has retired for the evening ..new Idyll coming up !

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz