{{gwi:176262}}From IU8 Buffalo

Blocks of fabulous median strips..
{{gwi:176263}}From IU8 Buffalo

And blocks of architecture
{{gwi:176264}}From IU8 Buffalo

Comments (15)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

It looks like a great place to check out both houses and gardens! More pictures please....

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Mom had our Buffalo house painted blue back in the 50s. It was NOT well received by the neighbours. How things have changed!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Marvelous pictures, Kathy! Love the median strip and the house colors. Already commented on that hell strip on the other side and of course, it is always nice to see such happy Idylls!

• chelone
    12 years ago

Lovely homes and wonderful plantings, Kathy. Hard to be believe they are walloped yearly with heavy snows, huh?

Who's that person in the hat with the dazzling smile? ;)

(esp. liked the second floor canopy in the last shot!)

• deanneart
    12 years ago

Wonderful photos Kathy! What a wonderful IU this was. Thanks for sharing!
    Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Wow, the houses are great, the colors fabulous and the gardens stunning. It looks like another successful IU!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

Deanne - thanks for the link to pictures (on the other thread). It looks like the houses were as much of a draw as the gardens. What a fabulous garden tour!

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

I could not possibly surpass the photos Deanne and Kathy took, but I finally got my 700 plus photos uploaded too, LOL, and thought I show a few of the gardens Kathy & I saw the first day, while the other folks were "falling" at the Falls --

this is the Shadrack Garden part of the Garden Festival -- they have a couple books on hostas, and split it - the husband does the hosta borders, and the wife does perennials.... it was a very lovely and interesting site:

{{gwi:176265}}

{{gwi:176266}}

{{gwi:176267}}

The hosta beds were an experiment in progress -- gravel on a steep shaded hillside:

{{gwi:176268}}

{{gwi:176269}}

Here are some more photos of the other stunning garden, the Bannermans -- she painted with daylilies and perennials - it was amazing --

{{gwi:176270}}

{{gwi:176271}}

{{gwi:176272}}

{{gwi:176273}}

{{gwi:176274}}

{{gwi:176276}}

And a daylily hybridizer with 21 acres:

{{gwi:176277}}

--Cindy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Cindy, what a marvelous couple of gardens. I think I like the Bannerman's best and your shot of the lilies with the coneflowers is magnificent!

21 acres? Wow. Would love that! Wouldn't want to weed it though. :)

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy, how nice your photos turned out ! You should be proud..and that last one with the clouds--that must be the storm that dumped on us at the last garden lol ! Very nice shot...

Kathy

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

LOL, Kathy -- I think it must have been that rain cloud - I had a couple shots of the last garden but it's looking pretty wet and droopy like we were!

Cyn - I think it's safe to say the daylily farm was not really weeded much! it was interesting to see a small hybridizer in person tho; I've never really been to one before - she would have dug anything for us but we were pretty tired and it was stinking hot.

I was just really impressed by the Bannermans and their ordinary suburban plot that they had turned into this swale of color -- she was incredibly talented in mixing "ordinary" perennials -- including that Echinacea Razzmatazz that we had some discussions about whether or not it was a good cultivar, LOL - at her place, it was stellar -- go figure.

Hope some folks post some of the other photos of the Rochester gardens, which were equally amazing.

-Cindy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll put up some Rochester pics when I get home from the awfice tonight...gives me an excuse to look through them again !

• deanneart
    12 years ago

wow Cindy! great pics of those beautiful gardens we missed while we were at the falls. Thanks so much for posting these! What wonderful color!

Deanne

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

My lilies and echinaceas don't come close to the beauty of those! Thanks for sharing!

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Really nice color combinations Cindy. Thanks for sharing these. I bet it was fun seeing this in person.