Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

Road Trip to The Farmer's Daughter

deanneart
14 years ago

Doug and I went for a drive to The FarmerÂs Daughter in RI this afternoon and I thought youÂd all enjoy some pics from this fabulous nursery. Definitely worth a Road Trip.

This pretty wagon of annuals was at the front entrance.

{{gwi:176329}}

Some views of their fabulous display gardens

{{gwi:176331}}

{{gwi:176333}}

{{gwi:176335}}

{{gwi:176337}}

{{gwi:176339}}

{{gwi:176341}}

I absolutely love this Thuja ÂWhipcordÂ. Sue and Cindy just bought one at WWF the last day of IU6. This was a specimen plant and not for sale.

{{gwi:176344}}

A lovely display in front of one of the greenhouses. I want one of those green pots!

{{gwi:176346}}

Love this little chair full of succulents.

{{gwi:176347}}

{{gwi:176348}}

{{gwi:176349}}

IÂm including a link to the entire gallery of pics if youÂre interested in more photos from this lovely nursery.

Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: The Farmer's Daughter

Comments (12)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Drool, swoon , drool. So I guess this needs to be on my 2010 agenda too ? Grea gardens and combos , and love the succulents. Thanks for sharing these Deanne.Fabu-Fabu !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I've looked through all the pictures and I'm speechless. Those are some pretty impressive display gardens. Funny but most nurseries around here don't have display gardens. Really a shame. These have some awesome combinations. I liked the succlents, hypertufa and all the whimsical artwork. So what did you buy? I'm almost certain you didn't go home empty handed ;o)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Well there you go! Orange, ornamental grasses, Tiger's Eye, rust and rocks...all things that are fun fun fun in my eyes! The succulents aren't to sneeze at either! I guess they overwinter them in a greenhouse? What a great guy Doug is for enjoying this too. ;)

• deanneart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Bug, Michelle and Kathy, I just knew you would all really enjoy these gardens. They truly are beautifully designed and cared for.

Kathy, DEFINITELY should be on your 2010 agenda. Wish we could have done this for IU6. Just a tad out of the way though as it's about five hours from Boothbay, ME LOL

Michelle, bought a few things including an Abies koreana 'Aurea', which I am in love with. A Thuja occidentalis 'Bobazam' Mr. Bowling Ball. A Coleus 'Aurora Mocha' and a couple Begonias 'River Nile' and 'Wild Pony'. Oh yes I also picked up another Ecinacea 'Double Delight'

Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

lol Deanne, you needed another Coleus didn't you !

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Wonderful, Deanne. Beautiful breezeway/pergola bldg. And those pots! I love the bronze fennel, but it is a serious pest in this climate, very invasive unfortunately. What riches to have an excellent photographer with a great eye for plants visit such an excellent nursery.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Absolutely stunning, Deanne -- these display gardens should bring folks in droves to the place - Im really sorry I didnt make a detour there - course I guess I'd have needed a moving van....

Love seeing that thuja whipcord specimen - interesting it's in a pot to show off the droopy foliage; I dont think I'll be able to do sufficient justice that way - maybe Sue will put in her driveway garden along the stone wall to achieve the same effect.

What a wonderful lunch treat to see these.

-cindy

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Deanne, thanks you so much for posting the pics. I especially love the succulents. You have given me some ides for a chair I was given last year. I painted it a bright blue, but I am rethinking the color. Was not totally pleased with the way it turned out, but couldn't think of what to do differently, now I have a plan:)

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Deanne - what superb pictures of a wonderful place. Was this your first visit? You NEED one of those green pots (perhaps to put one of those White Flower Farm begonias in). Thank you for sharing those with us.

Mary

• candy_j
    14 years ago

What a great variety of plantings and displays! I'm intrigued by the green pot photo; wondering if that is a large green tub, or panel, to the right and what's growing in or behind it? Love the subtle green of those pots and if that's a Limelight hydrangea in the grouping it will look stunning when the blush comes on and pick up the color.

• cheleinri
    14 years ago

Great pictures!! I love the display gardens. They are fairly new and really are gorgeous. Deanne, if this is your first visit, make sure to come back in the spring. That's when the selection of exotic annuals in the greenhouses will really knock you out!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Deanne....it's very generous of you to post all the photos you took at the Farmer's Daughter, as you have done many times before. I don't get out to public gardens and nurseries as much as I would like to and your photos are just like I've had a visit there. Thanks :-) I loved the entry wagon, the huge limbed up Hydrangea in the blue pot, [would love to know what variety that is, the flowers are huge], the photo with the large Pennisetum patch, the pretty green pots by the hoop house, amazing vegetable containers, the succulent chairs and black saucer, and concrete leaves. Everything really. [g] So what did you bring home?