Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

# 451 The Sunshine Idyll..

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

I've got plenty and I'm ready to share it with my friends...

Carry On !

Kathy in Napa

Comments (101)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK, all is set for our event. We have mango meringue pie and ginger ice cream for dessert. Can I start with dessert please?

If you consider our humidity, the temperature outside is 94F. ugh... Yesterday I wore a hooded jacket. Crazy!

Guess I'll wash up and change.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend gardening or upholstering or whatever makes you smile!

'bug

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Another muggy day but cooler. Last night we went to a birthday party at a campground and it was nearly unbearable with the heat and humidity.

My parents stopped by and we had a garden tour. Then Rick took my dad and I took my mom on a 4 wheeler ride through the groves and around the farm.

Hey, its great to year from Martie and a lovely lavender to boot.

Wow, Kathy that is one unusual daylily.

Mary, upholstery is a huge task Im impressed. My mom and I recovered a love seat many years ago. I havent tackled any again, but I have a rocker that Id like to do some day. There is a restaurant that weve eaten at in Wisconsin with a sod roof and 7 live goats that live up there. Maybe a goat will be your next acquisition :o)

Last weekend when we went to the wedding, I made sure I scoped out any gardens in the area that we hadnt been to. We spent part of Sunday afternoon at the Iowa Arboretum.

In the garden, the fuchsia are just getting started, the daylilies, oriental and orienpets are blooming like crazy. The zinnias are all in full bloom as well.

Tonight we were coming down our road and a deer ran out in front of us. Rick was pretty on the ball and was skidding on the gravel by the time he hit it. We were going quite slowly as well. The deer actually continued running. The damage to my new car seems minimal. The headlight was knocked askew, but it appears like it may have cracked the part that holds it in. So the $$$ will probably be more than we think.

Michelle

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all,

That heat and humidity that you are experiencing west of here looks to be arriving today. Its finally supposed to be in the low 90s today with high humidity. This is going to be the first real heat we get this summer which is so strange. So far this is the coolest and wettest summer I ever remember. ~~ Yesterday Doug and I went for a nice 18 mile bicycle ride and then drove down to The Farmers Daughter in RI and I posted a thread of photos from their display gardens. Its really worth a look. They are amazing and beautiful with lots of fantastic combinations.

Mary glad you had a good time at the fair. Ive often wanted to go to one of those but have never been. ~~ What did Dan get an 840pound printer delivered for? Yikes!~~ wonderful gallery of green roof pics.

Bug, its amazing how fast the weeds grow when its hot and muggy ~~ Those desserts sounds fabu!

Hi Martie, great to hear from you, your lavender pic is fabulous!!!!! What a great combo with the Gaura.

Kathy, how great youve got buds on your Voodoo! Wonderful that you didnt lose her. I so wish my fuchsias had been in full bloom when you were here. Just a couple weeks too early for them this year. ~~ How did you make out with your date with Sally?

Michelle, how frightening about hitting a deer. So glad it didnt turn out too badly for all involved but bummer youll have to have your new car fixed. ~~ Did you get any pics from the Iowa arboretum? ~~ Cant wait to see your fuchsias.

OK time for breakfast and watering the plants. Have a great day all.
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Another impossibly humid hot day here. I think they predict more comfortable days for the week ahead. I have so much weeding and digging to do that I hope for a few cool hours during the mornings and evenings.

Yesterday's event went smoothly and was fun...until 2 ladies whipped out their cameras and demanded a garden tour. Oy... This year has been so hard on me as far as weeds growing shoulder high overnight! Oh well, like in the nurseries, they appreciated everything bold and bright and blooming. So it was the Ligularia and Blue Paradise Phlox that would have sold big, had I been a nursery.

There are mounds of excess food, but that's fine with me as it may feed us for the rest of the month! But really, I don't get some people. One fellow who responded to the invitation immediately (twice!) never showed, and he was the one who said he was bringing a main course smoked salmon and a bean salad. If I had to miss an event I'd at least have phoned and warned the hostess. Then there were others who showed up without warning at all. I don't get it. These aren't youngsters who haven't learned manners, these are over 50s. It all works out, but I am disappointed in some of them. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy dud.

I walated for all of 1 minute after breakfast and this is what I discovered. I swear it wasn't there last evening when I walked guests right past it!

{{gwi:176468}}
    Not sure how we'll deal with it but it must GO! They are very active there today! Isn't the shape amazing? A face I think. Do you see it?

OK. This is my day off. DH is at work and the house is neat. I can't garden in the humidity so it will be knitting for me...by the A/C.

This morning I noticed a dent in my car. It must have happened yesterday while I was parked in town. I'm so sad about it...but I guess people are really careless and thoughtless about other people's property. I'd have left a note.

PM, where are you?
    Mary, any interviews yet?
    Drema, groundhogs are so maddening, aren't they!
    Michelle, really frightening about the deer.

'bug

• saucydog
    14 years ago

GB, it looks like a porcupine without the quills, on it's side :) It's beautiful. I understand it has to go - I don't know how I would go about that process!

I'm reading along...home alone this week, woo hoo! Mary, your plans sound fun.

I'm off to buy supplies: lots of snack foods and drinks because the kitchen is closed :)

Saucy

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

It's been a busy weekend for me so no checking in -- but as always, no idyl idylls that I can tell,....

We did not get any cool temps like NE did, Deanne -- 56 - o, I long for that #! -- it's been horribly like August and being so spoiled, Im not used to it.... ran the hoses around for long periods on Saturday but by yesterday evening things were drooping and flopping on the ground and Im worried about what it will look like tonite when I get back from the awfice.... the steam seems to rise off the sidewalks today.

Glad to hear you're okay, Michelle - that must have been awful scary to hit a deer like that - seems kind of early to have the problem (at least in our area, I think?)...

I do believe Im seeing a recurring color in this thread -- luscious purpley fuschia? Maybe that's the color of August.

Im being humbled and wowed by all the gorgeous combos on the various threads and thinking i just need to rip all my stuff out and start over....

Hope everyone has a marvey, peachy, cool week.

-cindy

• denisez10
    14 years ago

The temps are low 80s here, which enticed me to spend the w-h-o-l-e day digging and moving plants. Helping my neighbor Holly with her new garden and thinking of plants to screen off some of her views got me thinking of the one view of my own I need to screen on the east side (blue fence side). I bumped into Cupressus macrocarpa citriodora yesterday, cheap, in gallons (hello, gorgeous!) apparently a more heat tolerant, slower growing type of Monterey cypress, and came home with three, which led to the massive reshuffling of plants, including digging up a huge blooming clump 8 feet high of Bengal Tiger canna, splitting it into several pieces, a massive clump of sideritis (tossed, too woody to replant), moved a nonperforming Clematis heracleifolia, dug up and moved newly planted foxgloves (a pure white), and moved countless others. Like a massive game of chess, one contemplated plant move led to 12 others. Everything is back in place and watered, and I'm filthy and in need of a long soak.

Just a slight employment-aversion mode going on, lol. Long vacations will do that, but I'll probably start practicing later this week and get back to work maybe next week. Always a bad case of nerves and banana fingers after a long vaca. Marty is waiting to hear if his position will be furloughed or not (early retirement due to budget cutbacks), so I'm telling him when he stops working, so do I! Then we can start a garden biz. Possible names: Zone 10. Dream on...

Good to hear you're humming along, Martie, and what a beautiful vignette from Cornfield Park. My two Whirling Butterflies gaura have been a nonstop joy. Is that the clary sage in back of yours? I'm about to send off a seed order, and that's at the top of the list.

The wasp nest is stunning, what amazing master builders. Is it too close to busy foot traffic areas? I had no idea the picnic would be such a big affair, with invitations, and what a skunk for reneging on the smoked salmon.

Linking below some of Mitch's recent concert photo work this weekend. He's had a busy summer.

How awful about the deer, Michelle. At least you guys are careful drivers. We once were passed by a speed demon on a road near Kathy, out to Bodega Bay, the road marked with signs to watch for wildlife, and a mile or so ahead we saw the same driver pulled to the side of the road, a deer dying on the ground near his car. Moron...

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I need to figure out a plan that will make August less unattractive in the garden, and more Dahlias might well be the answer. The combination of spent flowers, 3 months or more with no rain , and chronic flopping sure takes its toll. The succulents look great though !

The skies to the east have an smoky cast and I would not be surprised if there wasnt a brush fire in that direction its breezy and hot , a very bad combination. As the winds blow away from me to the east I cant smell smoke, if that is indeed what it is. The WALAT this evening was full of wilted plants and the d**m asters laying across every path. I am resolved to rid myself of the things once and for all this fall and winter. Ive no clue what variety they are, buy they have spread everywhere and they need to go.

I have had paper wasp hives of that nature here from time to time bug, and I usually just let them be and in a couple of weeks they seem to abandon it and move on. Fortunately they seem to conduct their building in out of the way locations, and they seem to be quite benign .

Denise, you are industrious to be sure ! Im desperately trying to resist any major moves until at least late Sept, and trying to have some sort of an organized approach. There is so much I want to do! I have resorted to writing things down a common task at the Awfice but one rarely used in the garden. I hope Martys furlough (or non ) presents opportunities instead of problems.

Boy Cindy, it sounds like you went from squishy wet weather to torrid New Orleans style stuff without a pause.

Deanne, Sally was successfully manipulated into submission, and I should see one or two more nice flushes from her this season. All the rose look pretty good right now-BS season is over so the foliage is clean and they are putting out buds.

All for tonight , waving and hoping Ei, Anita, and PM check in ! Think Ill go over to FB and nag Eden too.

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all,

Oh my yes, a sticky and steamy day here. Id love to get a bit of rain from the predicted T-storms as long as they come without hail and wind. LOL I hope Wendy is having a great time in Nova Scotia and V is enjoying her time at the cabin.

Bug Im sure your gardens were lovely. Yes indeed, Ligularia and Blue Paradise are great plants. Id like to get more of that Blue Paradise. The one in my driveway garden has been blooming for ages. ~~ That wasps nest gives me the shivers. Those damned paper wasps are really aggressive come September and are the only thing Ive gotten stung by in a very long time.

Denise, sounds like you got a huge amount of work done in the gardens. I cant imagine digging out a huge stand of cannas when they are that tall. ~~ Not good about waiting to hear if Marty is furloughed or not. Im hoping for good news for you both. ~~ Love Mitchs pics. Theyve really captured the energy of the group.

Kathy, yes indeed the August slumps in the gardens are always depressing. The perennials here are looking worse for wear. When the lilies and daylilies are finished there is only the phlox, sedum and rudbeckia left. My roses are really looking sad right now with a monster case of BS I didnt see coming. One day all was well and within a week 3/4ths of the leaves were gone and the rest looking unsightly. And so it goes with roses here. I threaten to SP them all every year about this time. I need to get back to Moniques and take some lessons on fall gardens. Ive pretty much decided to SP the variegated oat grass in the driveway garden and plant that new little ball Thuja in its place. That will be another shrub that will look good in all seasons. Im thinking that border will eventually become a complete shrub border over time. The next door neighbors now have a tarp covered jeep with a trailer loaded with dirt bikes and that covered with a tarp parked two feet from the edge of that border. Hmmm Im thinking eight foot fence or some very tall shrubs.

OK Ive got to get dressed and get to the watering.

Deanne

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I guess it makes me feel a wee bit better to hear that others are suffering August garden slump and think their gardens look blech... altho I have a real hard time belieiving that to be the case for you, Deanne, LOL. I imagine it's just that you had such a huge riot of color in July, when things quiet down, it seems too tame?

In my case, because I have such a small amount of space, it's really tough to be excited about using "real estate" for late tropical annuals that may or may not get enough sunlight to do their thing. I did plant some salvias that are starting to kick in and one sad looking dahlia that's all twisted and floppy because someone did not stake it early and often.... The kalimeris pinnatifida hortensis is going great guns and it's hard not to like it as such an easy plant and forget - but it likes to make huge clumps and successfully swallowed a number of things over the years... But then, I am fairly burned out by heat and humidity now, so dont really want to work in the garden either. I guess I understand why southern gardens go for full-time green -- no one wants to work out in 100 degree heat!

I too am very impressed that you're being so industrious, Denise and doing a big shuffle - but I understand how it takes one's mind off the drudgery of the steady paycheck, and the worries over futures. I hope it works out as you want it too -- I love the name "Zone 10" -- or maybe even "Area 51" how 'bout and carry exotics that you love?

Seeing Deanne's photos of that wonderful Farmer's Daughter place makes me envious that I dont seem to have more unusual nurseries in my area - or perhaps I've not ventured off far enough - which gives me the twitch to go nursery crawling in a 100 mile radius - surely this area has to have some unusual and exotic offerings for garden ornamentation? I really need some cool looking trellises/obelisks that dont cost an entire paychek, LOL.
    Hmm, anything to not be at the awfice? But it pays for those trellises - such a dilemma....

I think it's amazing how differently one solves neighboring property issues and privacy ones - always a challenge for a gardener.

Stay cool and frosty today.

-cindy

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

bug, I think the bee/wasp nest looks like a groundhog:) They are everywhere.

Adorable Ivy by the way.
    Deanne, your photos are amazing.

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Hello Idylls

I've just returned from a garden job - a solid 6 hours without a break and I am hot and muddy. It was fun as well as exhausting as it included a buying spree at a local nursery (75% off) and a whole new border to work with. I just need to return tomorrow with my half moon edger and edge the beds and it is done. I think little will get done today here except a much needed swim in the pool to cool/clean up.

Deanne - the worst day in your garden is many times better than the best in mine:0)

Denise - those are fabulous photos of Mitch's - a difficult subject to capture but what energy and excitment they show. Your plant musical chairs sounds very satisfying.

GB - I thought the wasp nest was something Saucy had cast in concrete with the eyes and mouth smiling at us. I just (10 minutes ago) got a call for one of my jobs asking me to set up an interview. Phew! - I was starting to get a little anxious.

Michelle - glad the deer accident was not any worse.

Must run and cool off properly

Mary

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Muggy and 90 degrees out. Whew, Mary I don't know how you dealt with working outside for hours in this heat! The plant shopping spree sounds like it was fun though.

Cindy, well, you know me... The roses have major black spot and the rugosa tree is just about completely defoliated, the early daylilies are doing their August scragglies so I think it looks a mess but I do have to admit if I stand back and not look at the details it looks good, not to mention the container gardens are as good as they've ever been right now. There is so much color in that container border in the back I can hardly believe it. ~~ RE The Farmer's Daughter, it's about 120 miles from here and quite a hike but so, so worth it! Surely you have some nurseries like that down your way. I don't know how Monique and Les find all these places but they really know where the good nurseries are.

Kathy, thought you'd get a kick out of this... Look familiar?
    {{gwi:176469}}

And how could I possibly live without this coleus? Hmmmmm?
    {{gwi:176470}}

Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Good evening.....

I imagine everyone must be just about finished with re-entry after IU6. I've caught some of the great garden photos posted and loved seeing baby Ivy and Skyler and I even saw a photo of Aiden somewhere, who is a doll! Other than that, I'm pretty much feeling out of touch.

We've been having heat and humidity here but managing to keep things watered and staying on top of weeding. I've done a little plant shopping last weekend and finally have a camera again. Yay! Oooh, just heard some loud cracks of thunder. Fingers crossed it will rain and I won't have to keep up sprinkler duty tomorrow.

We've been busy here with one thing or another. DD was not able to resolve the mice situation with her landlord and aside from getting a cat, which they didn't want to do, their own efforts were not taking care of them. Coupled with other issues with the landlord, they decided to look for another apartment when their lease was up, which luckily is September 1st. So I've been helping her look and she finally found something that they really like and are very excited about moving in a few weeks. We also met 'the boyfriend' for the first time about a week ago and liked him very much. We had a nice evening with them and had an enjoyable time watching the two of them interact for the first time.

DH has had some doctor appointments of late and has some tests coming up. My digestive issues have been improving and allowing me to eat a more varied diet and spend more time in the garden, which I am enjoying. I am waiting for some cooler weather to hopefully get started on some garden projects. Other than that, we're hoping to get a short trip to visit DS in the next few weeks. And that about catches up on most of what's been going on at our house.

I'm sorry I haven't been reading at all but I should be finding more time coming up. Photos.... :-)

The Hay Rack finally....

{{gwi:176471}}

Casa Blanca Lilies....

{{gwi:176472}}

Roses reblooming....

{{gwi:176474}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol Deanne, familiar indeed ! I noticed what looked like a smidge of Autumn Joy, which is also no more than 3 feet from my twin combo however Black and Blue has almost entirely engulfed it. I am going to have a very busy fall here with all the moves that are needed. I brought out my critical eye on this evenings WALAT and have some ideas that I hope will result in a more pleasing view.

PM so glad to see you ! I was getting worried about you The new camera seems to be taking some very nice photos too. What is the yellow rose ? It looks like Molineaux a bit,and your Casablancas look way better than mine which are engulfed by Rudbeckia. I wish you could have joined us for more of IU , but am glad to hear that the digestive issues are improving and hope that your charming DH gets a clean bill with his tests.

Wonder what the heck Saucy will be up to this week ?

Mary, I hope your job search activities prove fruitful. It sure is a jungle out there. 2 more people were let go while I was away at IU, one I think was more of a performance issue , the other was an elimination of a position. More work for me again . Oh well. I have a job !

Ok, time to sign off , almost time for baseball

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Seems our internet connection is back but now I have no time to look. Alas, that's how it goes sometimes and the rest of the week doesn't look a lot better on the S(itting)ALAT front.

Amazing how the work environment improves when one continues to doggedly show up with a smile on one's face. :) See ya.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning all,

No rain here last night and I was so hoping for some. Im going to have to put the sprinklers on the lawn today. Things will be getting a bit too crispy if I dont. We unfortunately did get some pretty strong winds through here last evening and it blew down the huge lantana into the pot behind it so the two foot tall coleus in that container is no more. Le sigh! I guess if you grow a billion or two coleus which are very fragile creatures one must expect casualties. I still cant figure out how the heck that enormous and heavy pot got blown down.

Well hello there PM! Great to hear from you. It was terrific to meet you and your DH at our IU6 kick off party. MJ said your DH was most helpful with the kitchen duties and was a lot of fun to be with. What a nice fellow you have! I hope all his doctors appointments go OK and that there is nothing wrong. Glad to hear youre feeling better as well. ~~~ So you have a camera again?! Lucky us! Im so pleased for you. Those photos are marvelous. I love that rose and it doesnt look like it has one little bit of black spot. And your hay rack is really gorgeous with that variegated nasturtium. Did you start that from seed?

Yes Kathy, that is Autumn Joy in the pic also. How interesting you have that near that combination as well. Great minds and all that, LOL. ~~ Ive been pondering on some major SPruning and shifting things about this year too, including and especially getting some taller plantings on the property line of the driveway garden. Any suggestions for a nice, tall, robust grass?

Mary, best of luck with the job front. Crossing my fingers for you here.

Chelone, yes indeed, a smile lights up a mile. ~~ I decided that I had to have a Ilex Sky Pencil too! After babysitting yours for a while I decided to get one of my own.

So heres a picture for the day, Im loving this Caladium and Colocasia together. Theyve finally been growing at light speed lately and look smashing together.
    {{gwi:176476}}

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Good morning!

What beautiful photos the Idylls are coming up with these days - PM, your new camera looks like an excellent choice, the photos are crystal clear.

Good score on the interview, Mary.

The weather has cooled here and that makes me happy. I did get my bedroom straightened up yesterday, but only because it has a/c :)

Last night there was a terrible ruckus in the backyard and this morning the little brave groundhog who usually grazes the middle of the lawn is not there. Zeus was pacing and panting for the hour before the noise, and I wonder if he knew what was in our backyard.

Anyone going to see The Time Traveler's Wife? They took a favorite book and turned it into a sappy movie, from the looks of the advertisements. I might see it just for curisity's sake.

Saucy

PS, Mitch's work was a hit around here! I'm so terrible at commenting these days....I forget more than I remember!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

The gang returned last night, my digestive system is unhappy but little Ivy's smile cures all that.

Happy to 'see' you PM and hear that your health is improving! Any ideas what is doing the trick for you?

Must run, later I hope!
    'bug

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Mary, good luck with the interview!

Deanne, you take awesome pictures. What is the daylily in your first combination photo on the other thread? I just love that picture, and the colocasia one here.

Chelone, hope you are having a good day at work.

The heat is stifling here. I can't seem to wake up, but luckily have enough projects going on that I have no choice. Jen is moving into a new home, so I am helping her weed her old gardens, so she can put it on the market. Babysitting Charlie on Friday, and trying to work on my house before it falls down around me. I am going to try to paint the back landing floor tommorrow.

Hope you all have a good day!
    D.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Home again. Skyler got to swim with his uncle at Plum Island. He also was entranced by the Holocaust Memorial and has been reading and talking about it a good deal. The quotes and individual stories are certainly gripping. Ivy was cuddled by many was charmed all. They ate together at a Tibetan restaurant and all returned with shirts that turn from black & white to colour in sunlight. Here is Ivy's, for next year.

{{gwi:176479}}

And here is little Miss in her pink stripes today.
    {{gwi:176481}}

DSIL is presently on the roof cleaning the eaves troughs for us and DH is off to his voice lesson. I planted grass seed where the laundry pole used to be. This is my effort at reducing the number of gardens to maintain. ;)

Skyler has been enchanted by Elvis and been playing the darn thing all morning long. Thanks DH for introducing him to it! :( "In the ghetto...." is a favourite.)

The amazing news is that DD actually made the boutonnieres and a bouquet for her friend's wedding! Who would ever have guessed?!!

• denisez10
    14 years ago

How nice to hear from PM and Drema, and of course it's a always a pleasure to read the regulars, semi-regulars and irregulars. I know little bits about such a larger world now and can talk with some authority on the weather patterns of the Northeast and Midwest. Makes me the life of the party, lol, but I love having a broader picture.

Mary, fingers and toes crossed on the interview. The garden jobs sound exciting but exhausting for August weather. Nice to have the pool to plunge into.

'bug's cup overflows today, with everyone returning to the farm.

Chelone, someone would have to be a real dope to resist your smile.

We didn't approach Deanne & Doug's record-breaking bike rides, but Marty & I did go for 12 miles yesterday. And wonder of wonders, we found the mythical land of Summer, where little girls in funny two-piece bathing suits do the hoola-hoop, and a huge regatta of 12 to 17 yos, 120 of them, sail their little sabots in Alamitos Bay in military precision. We cycled by Dog Beach, marked in colored stripes on the curb, Mother's Beach, where all the moms and kids go since it's such a quiet inlet of the bay, and Horny Corners, where...nevermind. Guess that one speaks for itself! The water restrictions were in evidence everywhere, with front lawns unwatered and left to brown.

Kathy, re dahlias in August, mine seem to always take a rest in August, getting ready for a fall flush. The Mystic in pots is rebudding, and the one in the ground has been in bloom since April, bought in bud at a garden show, and it's building up for fall. In such a long growing season, maybe gardens just need to take a breath...as long as they remember to exhale in the fall! Mine don't if I get lax on feeding and watering, something I'm trying to keep on top of.

A friend of Marty's inherited his childhood home, and he's set to work demolishing it to the studs so was showing Marty around. It has a lovely view of the ocean towards Catalina Island. In describing it, I could sense a certain wistfulness in Marty. You know we'll never inherit anything, I reminded him. Yes, of course, he said. And I added, We'll never have an ocean view -- just then a hummingbird flew in for a twilight nip on the salvias -- but I can always bring you hummingbirds. Trooper that he is, Marty said he'd always prefer hummers to an ocean view. Tact is a wonderful thing!

Lordy, Deanne, now the caladiums, a plant that has always been safe from me at nurseries. I just walk right by. Last week I paused a bit longer at a nice selection, and now your photos! Aaagh...

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Great photos. Miss Ivy looks like she's taking notes on everyone, amazingly alert! "In The Ghetto" all morning? Nooooo.....

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Good morning

Phew, another morning on my garden job completed and I am sprung for the day. I stopped at the nusrery that was having its 70% off sale and purchased a couple of trays of different sedums for pennies for my sedum roof. Also picked up two large, well grown Callicarpa Isis bushes for just $5.10 each!! Then I spotted two new hellebores (sunshine I think), a varigated butterfly bush, varigated Veronica, a new Brunnera and an unusual gold toad lilly all for $2. I need to decide which are for clients and which for me - that will be the hard part. It really was one of those "you never know" moments as I normally wouldn't have given the nursery a second glance.

This afternoon I am taking Annie into school to hand in her latest batch of essays for AP European history, then to pick up a friend who will swim with her this afternoon. David could not round up anyone and is at a loose end. However, having had a constant succession of 12 year old boys here every day this week the peace and quiet is rather nice:0)

PM - your pictures are great and I especially love the pristine white of the lilies. Great that you are feeling a bit better.

Deanne - caladium and colcasia are a really winning combination.

Hi Dreama!

Miss Ivy just gets cuter and cuter!

Time for lunch

Mary

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Kathy, that rose is David Austin's 'Golden Celebration'. It does look like your Molineaux. I have you to thank for the rebloom this year. I followed your advice about the alfalfa pellets in the spring and again after the first flush of bloom. It made a very noticeable difference on both roses that I used it on.

Deanne, that photo of Elephant Ears with the Caladium is amazing. I've never seen a caladium grow that bushy and lush. I love the way the leaves formed, it reminds me of a waterfall. Did you prune it? .....Sorry about your coleus. You seem to get wind more than I do here. I do have some problem on the lower leaves of this particular rose, but barely anything considering all the rain we've had, the foliage looks very good. ..... DH and I had a great time at your house. He always enjoys helping out and had fun with MJ, who put out an amazing amount of delicious food. Doug was the perfect host, btw and we enjoyed talking to him. :-) .....I bought plugs of the 'Alaska' nasturtiums in early May. I did start some from seed, wanted to move them and they didn't like being disturbed and I ended up throwing them out.

Hi Saucy :-) I have spent the last few days in the A/C too. I haven't heard of the Time Traveler's Wife, but I am always a sucker for anything about time travel.

Hi 'bug....little Miss, I am sure makes friends where ever she goes. I love that color of DD's shirt. Our DD and her BF just visited the Holocaust museum a month or so ago.

Hello Denise, I always enjoy your stories and wistful Marty, ocean views and hummingbirds was also a hit. Was it you who mentioned 'Julia and Julie'? I just gave that book to DD last Christmas and she loved it, so I guess we will be seeing it.

Mary, was it you who posted a link to the green roof website? I am a real fan of green roofs [rooves? lol] I really enjoyed seeing all the very innovative things that are being done. I would love to have a shed in the back with one. .... 70% off sales, lucky duck! I bought 'Yellow Mellow' Hellebore in the spring, but it is a baby and probably won't bloom for a couple of years.

Hi Drema....wondering what everyone else is doing today.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

I'm still feeling in summer doldrum haze here! I find it really hard to stay focused at this time of year. I've been enjoying the links and pictures but am feeling scatter-brained about putting together comments. I'll notice someone commenting on something someone else said and realize I totally missed whatever it was when I read - e.g. who has Mary had an interview with? I missed that in reading Mary's comments but noted it in somene commenting on it... I hope it went/goes well! :-) It's good to see PM back and feeling a bit better - with a camera too! gb - I'm totally charmed by Ivy's pointy little chin! :-)

The garden here is deep in August overgrown blahs! I havent been doing much outdoors other than walking Misty in early morning and late evening when its cooler and if its not raining! (We had a few spectacular thurnderstorms in the past week or so.) For the first time ever, Japanese Beetles appeared a few days ago and attacked the Blanc Double de Coubert rose. Ive never actually seen JBs before but they were instantly recognizable! From what I could find on-line apparently they are attracted by some scent given off by damaged foliage. A few days before they appeared, I had hacked back the rose and the little angel roses at its feet because they were starting to block the path. I wonder if the rose then gave off the scent that attracts the beetles? I picked off some and drowned them but its been too hot to do anything the last few days. The rose was just budding for its second bloom phase. I figured Id lose all those flowers but its blooming out there now although I still see some JBs around. Tonight I noticed JBs on the Chinese wisteria and one on a hardy hibiscus. Exactly how destructive are they? Are they more of an unsightly nuisance than a fatal presence?

One of the brugs in the front is blooming reasonably nicely now but the other shows no signs of ever blooming. They demand too much water and fertilizer for my taste and I suspect they may be compost at the end of this season! Randy likes the one that's flowering though so maybe he'll take on the care and feeding of them and give them a reprieve.
    {{gwi:176482}}

We went to Dundurn Castle (not really a castle!) this morning to check out the kitchen garden there. It was supposed to have been restored/recreated over the past few years. It had obviously been neglected again though because it was a weedy mess! But there was an interesting garden hidden under the weeds.... It probably looked pretty good in June when the peonies and roses bordering the paths were in bloom - we'll have to go back next summer and see.
    {{gwi:176483}}
    I had forgotten the absolutely charming dovecote at Dundurn:
    {{gwi:176484}}

Retreating into summer daze here again.... :-)

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good evening Idylls, theres not much to report here in Kathy World today, awfice and then home to water, the cooler temps are promised for tomorrow.

Well Deanne, I think you might need to consult Les and Monique for the recommendations for robust grasses and tall screens- seems to me like they have it dialed in ! And of course they are expert enablers too..speaking of enabling, I really should get one of those Colocasias, I have just the spot for it !

Saucy , is your week of solitude proving to be productive ? More leaf castings ?

PM, I have Golden Celebration too- I guess yours is so well behaved I though it wan another rose, lol. Mine has the David A. flops, which happens with some of the varieties here - many of them really ought to be grown on supports as small climbers. The flowers of GC are so sumptuous dont you think ? And what a great color. Im so glad the alfalfa worked well for you ! I find that it pushes slower but more sturdy growth than some of the beefed up rose foods do. I am going to feed mine one more time- I usually do a summer prune in late August or early Sept to get a nice flush in October, and when the pruning is done I fertilize for the last time. I use Dr Earth Rose food which is a regional organic brand, and this year I will also add worm castings.

Hi Drema ! We may need some mid summer pics of your awesome potager -how about it ?

bug , I continue to notice pink-creep in the wardrobe of Ms. Ivy , and share your bemusement at marathons of In the Ghetto" one would hope for Jailhouse Rock or Heartbreak Hotel instead !

LOL Denise, knowing the sub-culture of LB I can only imagine the scene on Horny Corner. Similar to Melrose Ave just off Vine and 4th and Yamhill in Portland in the 70s.
    My biggest issue with Dahlias is that they get way bigger than advertised, height wise, and I have always blamed the lowering of the sun exposure in late summer when the light starts to move to a fall pattern. I plan a major pruning of my Liquidambar this winter- I would love to just have it taken out but it would cost a fortune. For now Im going to hire the tree guy to limb it up more and head it back as well. Unfortunately , am powerless when it comes to the neighbors trees.

Mary , we just dont have those types of sales here- what great bargains ! I cant wait to see the sedum roof you come up with for Betty et. al.

Woody, you can feel smug that my Brug here in zone 9 has not a single bloom or bud that I can see. Im about ready to throw in the towel !

Signing off for now , waves to all ..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Kathy, I'm wondering about your Iochroma, are they blooming? Mine is finally setting buds. It was supposed to be the centerpiece of my 'purple' container.

Deanne, to answer your question on PM on zinnias, I've not had a problem with it.

Mary, I'm quite excited about your sedum roof.

Woody, the kitchen garden looks like it has good bones. We had a similar experience at two small public gardens lately of good bones but lack of continued care. One garden had a beautiful hosta area with a sign bearing the name of a person who had adopted the bed and it was immaculate. I though this was a good idea.

Drema, great to have you dropping in more often. Sorry to hear about the damage to your potager. Im dealing with deer this summer in mine.

Yet another fabulous, perfect container from Deanne.

PM, great to have you back. Your camera takes great pictures. What kind did you get?

Miss Ivy is looking pretty in pink. What an alert little face.

It was foggy this morning. I usually work in the garden from 6:15 to 6:45 on the mornings that I don't swim. Here what the potager looked like. The 'Bright Lights' chard is right behind the marigolds. As you can see my deer have nibbled it to the ground. The next little row of green is the beets which has very appealing foliage as well.

{{gwi:176485}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beautiful Michelle, in spite of deer nibbles-- where are your deer coming from ? We have them here but they stay in the forest and hilly oak areas and don't usually visit the valley floor where all the agriculture is.

I am thrilled with my Iochroma and will take a photo this weekend --it is in the 5 to 6 ft range and has bloomed continuously since I planted it. Mine is in the ground -- I thought I would have a better chance of wintering it over in an in-gound location next to a fence.The variety I got is allegedly hardy to 26 degrees. In a protected area I will expect it to die back to the ground but come back in spring.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I cast my vote for "Return To Sender" or, "It's Now Or Never", 'bug. I think Elvis had a great voice and was quite a Dreamboat in his youth (I'm a sucker for Lame jackets, anyway)...

Haven't read a thing but did think the building in Woody's shot is very cool and I love the mist swathed Potager courtesy of Michelle.

Have to go to Giggle Land now, goody-goody.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Woody....how nice to see you! I am so disappointed that I didn't get to meet you at the IU6 kick off party. I don't know, I might have to make a trip to Canada one of these years to come visit you. :-) .... I really understand your 'summer doldrum haze'. I get into a funk too, late July to mid August and vegetate in the a/c. My garden has made it clear by then that it is not living up to expectations. [g] I think that is why I keep trying to add fall plants to get me back in the game by late August. I like the fall for trying to correct all my mistakes for the next growing season. .... I would try to pick off as many JBs as you can. They can be so destructive, I hate to allow them a foothold. .... What gigantic blooms on that brug! I can imagine the fragrance. Do you winter that over? ....I love dovecotes.

Kathy....I probably photographed the only rose on the GC bush that was not bowing down. [g] That's the one thing I don't like about it. Even in a vase, they face down, so I often cut them and float them in a bowl. They are so nice and fragrant though. Some of the new growth is shooting straight up and I''m still scratching my head what to do with it. .... I haven't seen any worm castings around here.

Drema....I must have missed the news that you had damage to your potager. I'm sorry to hear that. It was so cute! Glad to see you popped in despite being so busy. Hope things slow down for you soon.

Michelle...I like your foggy morning pic. We rarely get fog here and I miss it. Too bad about the deer. What a pain. I can just imagine what a statement those Bright Light Chard would have made. Is that amaranth in your potager? ..... There is a funny story about the camera. I couldn't find one I liked. I started looking for my old camera second hand with no luck. Then while helping DD look for apts, I saw an ad for one on craigslist. It said 'like new'. It was a year older than the woman thought it was, so she took off $50. I was thrilled when it arrived because it was 'like new', still in the box with the manuals still in the plastic wrap. The first photos weren't that good, so I checked the settings against my old camera and had to adjust one and then it was perfect. While I had my old camera out checking settings, I suddenly saw that the LCD screen was working. I had tried a hundred times to get it working before with no luck. I tried taking a photo and it worked! lol The next day I took it outside and it took photos fine. So now I have two of the same camera. [g] My DD's camera is not working right, so I may give her mine. It's a Canon A630, a point and shoot. I love the rotating LCD screen.

I was wondering if anyone thought this photo looked familiar? [g]

{{gwi:176486}}

• anitamo
    14 years ago

I'm hopelessly behind. Not much news to report from this rainless, very dry part of Idyll-land, but wanted to say hi to everyone, and let you know all is well. I've been drooling over the photos, and then find myself out of time to comment.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

It's been a long day.

I planted another lily, had a load of wood chips delivered by surprise too.

Days are filled with things like defrosting meats for dinners, buying diapers, packing suitcases and doing laundry. Reminds me of similar days 30-35 years ago! The easy part is that DD must deal with meltdowns from the baby. Poor Ivy hates the heat. I agree. Too much heat means that I wouldn't be able to garden anyway.

The morning began at the farmer's market (St Jacobs Ontario) with apple fritters for breakfast. followed by shopping: A DVD for Skyler, PJ bottoms for DSIL, a new Indian jacket with mirrors stitched on it for DD. I got myself a bamboo fabric T-shirt. We all got fresh fruit: blackberries, apricots, lemons, etc.

Bed sounds terrific right now.

The very best to all!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Another hot, hot, dry day. Just a sprinkling of rain this morning.

I've been watering my 100'ish containers. DH has taken charge of moving the sprinklers and hoses around, which is really sweet of him.

Not much new or exciting around here.

Kathy, see the trees in the far back of the picture? That's where they come from. That is part of our grove, a plethora of wildlife.

Later
    Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy Thursday Idylls, and counting down to Friday. I detect a slow news day here. We had an office cleaning party today, in which we had operations pull a dumpster up below our 2nd floor balcony and purged the bookcases of vendor information circa 1999, old and defunct computer equipment, and stuff leftover from people who are long gone. We rewarded our industry with banana splits.

Anita, being behind is never hopeless ! Just dive in when you have the timeglad you checked in !

PM, Im afread youve stumped me with your photo, though it does remind me of aerial view of Chelones Sky Pencil. How funny that your old camera had a miracle cure !

As I WALATed tonight, I noticed that 4 or my brand new daylilies are throwing up scapes- sure didnt expect that to happen- I think they were shipped to me in June, bare root fans, and I planted them over the course of a couple of weeks. It will be good to see them in person before fall in the event they are poorly sited relative to the color. They are very easily moved at this point.

bug, such busy days at the Farm ! You may have to sleep for a couple of days after the visitors depart ..

Michelle, I hadnt thought of you in deer territory , so I have renewed respect for how wonderful your gardens are when having to do battle with such voracious visitors.

All for me tonight waves to all, hoping Chelone gets computer issues resolved, Wendy and V come back from vaca with lots of pics, and still absent ones come out to play !

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

You figured it out Kathy....

{{gwi:176487}}

I just bought a Sky Pencil and then discovered a few Idylls had recently bought one too. I'm still deciding where to put it.

• chelone
    14 years ago

I'm capitalizing on a day off today! Not sure what I'll attempt to get done but I'm sure it will involve cleaning up some sort of mess somewhere on the Compound. My first order of business is to call the hairdresser and see if there are any open app'ts. today... I look like a Bushman. Anita will appreciate the angst caused by an overgrown "short" haircut. Welcome back, BTW, I know how you feel about being out of the loop, doesn't take long, does it?

I've noted new growth on New Dawn in spite of the fact that she's not received her "cherry elixir" and has been on starvation rations for several years now. I've kept an eye out for pests, Kathy, but haven't found any that would explain the tattered leaves (amazing actually).

The helpmeet has been working on his garden and I rather like his proposed layout for the beds he wants to add. I would like to get the fence squared away and the posts along the driveway in in place but I see no point in belaboring the point, more important that he has some time to just do the Mr. Greenjeans/putter thing at this stage of the game. I was shocked to learn that he plans to get rid of his (not well cared for) peach tree, opting to add a new one in a more appropriate location.

I would like to move another machine to the Salon this morning. I've really gotten out of the habit of picking away at the relocation of my equipment since IUVI and it's time to get back to it or it will never be finished. It would also be nice to reclaim the Lab. as a function room in this house and not just a "junk room".

Time to organize my thoughts over a refill of the coffee mug.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning gang,

We are finally going to be in for a week of summer weather with a Bermuda High settling in so weather in the 90s for a while with no rain. Hmmm. This will be doubling and tripling the watering chores. ~~ I was curious and then bummed out to see an unusual growth coming out of the top of the Red Abyssinian Banana. Apparently its going to throw a flower spike. The bad news is that the parent plant dies after flowering! I didnt know theyd do that this far north. Oh well, Ill enjoy the show and be happy I dont have to bring it inside again this winter. Apparently they supposedly throw pups at the base after the mother plant dies but I think it will be easier just to buy a new plant next spring.

Michelle, your pottager in the fog is gorgeous! I love how the center urn is framed by the arch. So very beautiful. So sorry about the deer damage.

Kathy, Im looking forward to the Iochroma pics. Did you see the one trained as a standard at Tower Hill? Also did you see the combination with Eupatorium Little Joe with the Daylily El Desperado in front of it? It was fantastic! Im going to have to get that daylily.
    {{gwi:176488}}

Oh yes, speaking of Tower Hill, Saucy and I met there for lunch on Wednesday and it is a WONDERFUL garden. Ill be back there often.

PM how great youve gotten a Sky Pencil! Me too! Im also still debating where to plant it.

Nice to see you Anita and Bug, sounds like youve been really busy.

OK Ive got to get out of this chair and get ready. Doug and I are doing a quick bicycle ride before he goes off to work. Have a great day all.

Deanne

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Good morning!

Today is the last full day without children - or husband for that matter, he's already gone to work for a long day that will last well into this evening! Tomorrow I will pick up Sarah from camp and then she and I will have almost a week without Jake.

Sky pencil is getting a lot of air time on Idylls. She's too formal for me, yet, but I'm prone to change my mind with the wind. I'll bet it'd look good on the corner of my Colonial house, though....

Hey Anita, jump right back in....that's the only way to get around the "behind" feeling :)

GB, did you get the new wheelbarrow?

I've got lots planned for today, the least of which is finalizing plans for a garden party in September and then sending out the invitations. I wish you all could come :) You're like a party in a bag - instant fun! Hopefully I can get some local Idylls to come have a good time....

Have a great day whatever you may be doing today!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Mornin'!

This'll be quick, Ivy is chirping downstairs!

Saucy, no Sky Pencil here (so far)and absolutely no sign of a wheelbarrow! GRRRR! That means a phone call today I guess.

Hope to get in the garden today, but first DH needs breakfast before work, Sarah is off to visit friends and also wants me to show her the recycle store for kid stuff.

Later I hope!
    'bug

Here's what's blooming now. I started them from seed a few years ago.
    {{gwi:176491}}

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I for one am soooo glad it's Friday at long last - it's been a hot, hot, hot, exhausting one here in this region -- I dont know how you all do it w/ 100s of containers -- just my small mono pots and all the succulents need attention - the other non-suc pots almost daily in the kind of heat we've been having. Altho it was only 90sh the last 2 days, it's been terribly oppressive and things were keeling over - Im going to have to re-think several hydrangea I had added in the last several years as they daily are wilted to the ground, even in deeper shade than they should be in... it may be SP time for them....

I too am so impressed with the stature of all your annuals, Michelle - between the weather, the deer, etc., you manage to get a fantastic show up and going - cant wait to hear about "le award"----???

Deanne - I hope you enjoy your bloom on the musa and plan for something to replace it with. Thanks for showing that shot at Tower Hill, Deanne, of that daylily & Eupatorium combo. I find it personally challenging to place those daylilies w/ the strong interior eyes and it's always interesting to see when a combo works so well with them. Really great look.

Saucy -- "party in a bag" - so true, LOL!!! I think the next time you want some verticality in one of your borders, you should look at the Ilex Sky Pencil - even Sue has one tucked in at her place, and I wouldnt call her garden a "formal" type.... but it does provide great structure. I would like to get another to replace one that was wind killed last winter.

Well, must turn to the awfice and get thru the day. I have so many things that need attending to at home, I better find some energy to do them this weekend!

-Cindy

• denisez10
    14 years ago

I hate to say it too loud, but the weather has been gorgeous, high 70s. My dad had a brutal day in the hospital yesterday, where the cardiologists gave my mom the hopeless talk, yet this morning he's better and hungry for breakfast. Between airport runs to pick up my charming SIL and hospital visits, I squeezed in a nursery run for some Prairie Sun rudbeckia, a bizarre sort of multitasking.

On the science front, we've ID'd the green metallic beetles, what we call Japanese beetles, but I'm sure they're not the same beetle Woody is currently contending with. Ours is the fig beetle, Cotinis mutabilis. There are dozens on the grapes, which thrills Duncan but creeps me out, very X-files-ish. I've linked a photo for comparison to Woody's Japanese beetle.

On the project front, the blinds for the bath house were delivered and waiting when we got home from the hospital late last night so will probably get installed today, which thankfully puts that time pit to rest, and I can take down all the stuff I've jury-rigged for privacy.

Saucy, sounds like fun having Sarah as your gal pal for a week. If life wasn't so crazy at the moment, I'd take advantage of a certain West Coast airline's "fly all you want the month of Sept anywhere in the U.S." buffet for $600 to don a party hat at your Sept party. I'd visit East Coast relatives and idylls, NYC and Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, the Highline, see Wash D.C., Longwood in PA and the new Terrain store, visit my brother in the south, maybe meet V in Lurie Park -- but one doesn't really do such things, does one?

Michelle, I echo the other comments, that your potager in the mist is so beautiful, deer-damaged or not.

PM, who knew that cameras just needed to rest when they get a concussion? Glad to hear you've sorted it all out.

Chelone, you in Bushman mode cracked me up. My hair has similar issues at the moment. If only we could stick our heads in the monitor and Anita could work her magic! Must be hard to get motivated in August to start moving heavy equipment, so good luck with that.

Kathy, must've been mid day for the cleaning reward to be banana splits, otherwise I'm thinking a nice syrah perhaps...

Deanne, I know how you feel about the musa, with my Agave potatorum doing the same death act. Guess I'll collect the seed, sigh...BTW, the Tower Hill photos were awesome.

Sending cool thoughts to Cindy, Drema, and 'bug in the awful sweltering heat.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

OK, I talked to the boss of the festival and they will pay us cash for whatever we submit as a bill for the destruction of bridge and wheelbarrow. I said we'd still let them use our barn as long as they came up to speed on care of our property and following instructions. (This was what DH asked for, not MY outlook!) So this weekend we need to shop for the darn barrow so we can get work done.

Went out and got a Jolly Jumper for Ivy this morning at the used stuff shop. She really is going to be a soccer player or hockey player. She's full of strength and concentrates on things with a serious frown. She grasps things like toys, sheets and hair...so I consider her advanced. Whatever...I know, I'm biased.

Cindy, I commiserate about the heat and humidity. I have had to throw water hit & miss at things for the past few days. Simply do not have time to do things properly. :( A few tomatoes are ripening and I picked a zucchini today, the first large one. No way can I spread bark chips or weed though, and I still have ghetto plants. (Maybe that was what Elvis was singing about?)

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

O, Denise - Im so sorry to hear about your Dad and the prognosis -- but I totally get the "weird multitasking" - those sorts of ventures are how we keep our sanity I think during times of these family lows -- if it's buying a plant we're looking for, so be it! I have decided Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy may be on my list after seeing it at IU this year, and several people loving it as well. Might be just the thing to give my gardens some punch at this time of the year. I look forward to hearing how it overwinters.

I confess I have yet to visit the Terrain store yet I've driven within 1 mile of it for a year -- how stupid is that? I have even plotted ways to ensure an early stop before hitting the Dad's house, about 40 mins from there....but usually by 2 & 1/2 hours Chloe & I are most anxious just to reach our final destination, and crossing legs and such. I was just thinking of it again yesterday (the store, not the legs). It sounds like such a cool place/event type of thing and I was thinking of it while bemoaning the lack of such neat places in my local area. For those idyllers who went to the IU Penna -- it's a cool store in the old Styers nursery area (that a few of us hit at the end of IU) - ventured by Anthropologie of all things; and I've heard many wonderful things of it. I want to visit before it might go belly up - ya never know these days.

Denise - that's great that your shades are going in for the bath porch; it will be a fait accomplis then correct?

Ha, 'bug - my "ghetto plants" are looking pretty wane - some bit the dust and a few clems are still hanging on.... but this type of weather is just brutal on them. I guess I need to build a convervatory on, LOL...

well, best finish lunch.
    But for daydreaming, here's the link to Terrain:

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

No Sky Pencil here either. I'll be interested to see how you all place them.

As for the deer they are extremely abundant here. The highway into town is known as Deer Alley.

I've heard nothing further about the "award" other than I've been chosen and they plan to come with a photographer and will I do a short write up on my garden. Of course if they get wind burn, they aren't for my garden. Too much exposure here on the farm.

Deanne, I did notice the Iochroma standard in your Tower Hill pictures. I bought one this year for one of my containers.

Lunch break is over. It's Friday finally!

Michelle

• chelone
    14 years ago

I was successful in scoring a haircut this morning. The terrific woman who cuts my hair used me as an excuse to hustle someone out of the chair. Bushman be gone! and I feel greatly improved.

I stopped in at an antique place (more like junk!) that usually has patio furniture on the lawn. I decided to actually go inside and was struck by the feeling of sadness in the place... I looked at all that stuff and thought about where it lived before and how it ended up there... and I had to leave, having lost my zest to play "Let's Make A Deal" for the two lamps that could have looked nice on either side of our bed. And then I read of Denise's father and the hopeful rally. I'm sorry to read of his decline, Denise. It's very difficult to watch and if plant shopping gives you a break then I'm in favor of more of it.

The helpmeet is plying the seas as I type. It's beautiful today, warm and sunny and a decided change from what has constituted "summer" this year. I may even have a gin and tonic when the ancient mariner returns!

Cindy, I'm surprised Hydrangeas flag in your garden. They're such a mainstay of deep south gardens I should think they'd shrug off heat and humidity with impunity. But you never know how plants will react and maybe they don't like the heavy clay-y soil of your environs?

I would like to have a Jolly Jumper. I think one of those numbers set up outside between a couple of trees would be a gas. Helmet required, of course. Kids get to have all the cool toys, don't they?

OK, so I need to think about following the lawn mower around Sanitary Ridge, I think. I won't want to do it tomorrow and this is the perfect time of day as it's getting shadey over there and I won't be over come by too much sun on my skin (which looks amazingly like uncooked turkey at present).

Time to rally Rex and rouse Spencer who's sleeping in the chair next to me. I know the act Spencer has in mind: sleep all day, casually gas up at the feeding station in the next hour/two, and then pull an all-nighter... I don't think so, little man. ;)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

What an odd day here. Nothing I planned happened, but that's OK. DH never went to work, I never got to garden. I did a bunch of mowing but need to rake up clots of wet grass...tomorrow?

Sarah bought a Jolly Jumper and it has been a great success. Since Ivy holds her head up well and has been strengthening her legs a whole lot, Sarah decided to give it a try. Well, after about 10 minutes of bouncing around gently we decided that was enough for today. She was furious and demanded more time! So here she goes!!

{{gwi:176492}}

Phoebe was pretty amazed too.

{{gwi:176494}}

As for me, I made a zucchini and rice casserole with one of those giant zucchinis that appeared suddenly in the garden today. DH made ribs on the grill.

I observed a strange thing too, a hellebore in bloom! In August!?!

{{gwi:176495}}
    Here's my new lily too.

{{gwi:176497}}

Off to chat with family.
    :)
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fridays are good, although the baseball situation could stand some improvement. So far I have enjoyed some cheap white wine, harvested pumpkins on farmtown, had a nice virtual chat with Jerri regarding the cesspool of Internet Explorer 8 and cooked dinner, though I have not yet consumed it.

I went to the garden center at lunch today , and will re-do a small segment of the Mary Rose bed this weekend.I've been making plant lists and sp lists as well. August is probably not the greatest time to turn on the critical eye, but I'm tryng to temper my disdain viewing some of the areas of my garden with longevity stats-i.e. this plant has been here for 10 years and looks like crap. Out with the old and in with the new.

I am going to the Napa Valley Art Festival in the morning, one of my fave California representational artists is exhibiting there and if the prices arent over the top I may get another painting for my living room gallery.

It was haircut day for me too today Chelone .. I make my appts after the current appt So I am already set up for 9-25. Wasnt sure I liked the Sept thing though I love Fall , but winter is not far behind !

Deanne, That daylily at Tower Hill reminded me of my Calico Jack which is very similar . Somehow I missed the standard Iochroma , but I whipped through there pretty fast - I will take pics of mine tomorrow morning when the light is better.

LOL Denise, wine drinking mid-day at the awfice is not encouraged our cleaning party was 10am to 1pm, and featured hor dvores before the splits were served up. Sorry to hear of the Dad challenges. When health issues intrude I hang my hat on quality of life, sometimes hard to define and out of reach hope there is some for him.

GB , I wish you an upgraded wheelbarrow , and fully support the jolly jumper to keep the little rug rats sedated . I know Chelone would concur.

All for this round, more tomorrow

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Oh yeah! I would definitely be ALL OVER a jolly jumper of my very own, you guys. I wonder if I could persuade the helpmeet to put up a good, ol' fashioned swing out back... hmmm... a la Evelyn Nesbitt? Ya think? Great shots of the little pooping machine, 'bug. ;)

Rex and I had a very pleasant Compound Cruise earlier even though we had to keep moving to evade the mosquitos. He heard activity next door (where his canine friends live) and looked over there hopefully. But he didn't bolt off the way he often does when he's out with his Daddy. The wrath of Mummy and the beating that will inevitably follow is too terrible for even the Hugest of canids to contemplate, it would seem. It's going to be another very warm and beautiful day today. And the tourists were streaming into town yesterday so traffic should be brutal while they head to the beaches and then back to the motel rooms. May they have a great time and spend lots of money while they're here.

One more machine is now in the Salon. Yesterday it was the blindstitch that was relocated. 3 left to go, none of which are critical to anything I am usually asked to do, so they may remain where they are for the time being. Still battling inertia on the Salon set-up front, it's hard to work inside when the weather is nice and there's so much to attend to outside. But it's now time to get the stitch samples all organized, the punch list of desired repair/adjustments done and send it off to the mechanic. There are lots of "thises and thats" on it and his visit could be an expensive one, though much overdue and needed. I do not resent paying for such things, either, unlike many people for whom I've worked over the years. ;)

LOL at "party in a bag", Saucy. Ain't that the truth?

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

The sky is pink and the grass is wet...from dew. It is a misty morn. I went out to water the veg garden, hoping the wasps there were still sleeping. The sprinkler is not working it seems, so I hand watered a few plants that needed critical attention. Does anyone else in the world not sleep because they worry about their ornamental plants? Ridiculous but true. I hope I can fix things with the hose later this morning. I can tell you the mosquitoes were out already too. Birds are chirping and frogs croaking.

Yesterday DH was cutting down burdocks...which are GIANT monsters this year. It seems there are more wasp nests about and that they found him. So I got him some ointment and pills and told him to sleep a while...which he was happy to do. We now know of at least 3 nests.

The humid heat is expected to continue here without rain for a good while longer. So Cindy, I know how it is...yet I think my ghetto plants are watered better than any of the rest.

I wonder if another machine will make it to the salon today. I'm glad the male gardener is enjoying putter time in his garden too. It must be hard to stand back and allow him to enjoy his free time when you are such a planner & organizer. Yet, being able to make smart decisions on the fly is sometimes an admirable quality too.

I hope this is wheelbarrow day!

Time for a new thread I believe...I hope the photos continue!
    'bug