Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IU8 Rochester gardens

Posted by dodgerdudette NapaCaz9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 21:29

What friendly and hospitable people we met in Rochester ! A full day of garden touring culminated by a great meal at Marys.

Garden genius Jerry Kral chats with Idylls under this cleverly pruned Sumac. Jerry is a mono-gardener-design hardscape installation, maintenance, he does it all.

From IU8 Buffalo

I really liked this simple little water feature.

From IU8 Buffalo

His collection of conifers was drool inducing

From IU8 Buffalo

From IU8 Buffalo

And his variegated stuff ? Oooo-la la

From IU8 Buffalo

From IU8 Buffalo

He had wonderful garden art too.

From IU8 Buffalo

From IU8 Buffalo

He said his garden wasn't about flowers, but there were plenty !

From IU8 Buffalo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IU8 Rochester gardens

Bravo Kathy! Absolutely wonderful pics of this fabulous garden. I had to laugh about, "not about flowers" with such beautiful specimens blooming everywhere. I really enjoy seeing the same gardens through your lens. great work my friend!
Deanne

o

LOL, Kathy and Deanne -- I had to laugh and dispute too that statement he made about "not about flowers" or that he was "only a conifer collector"..... Great little tour, altho there were so many incredible features of his different areas.

I found it fascinating too that (like a retired teacher) he had so many interesting tidbits of knowledge about his plants -- like his discussion of the types of hibiscus syriacus that he used and their habits, and other info he shared - it was like having a special guided tour that one might have paid for from some famous plantsman. Indeed an honor to have met him.

Your photos are great, Kathy - a lot of mine came out overexposed since we were there at the middle of that extremely sunny and hot day. I'll try to dredge up a few of my photos too if no one else posts the amazing green roof shed or some of the other interesting sculptures and combos he incorporated.

-Cindy

o

All the pictures from this IU are so great. I really wish I could have been there. But, aside from other issues, the heat would have killed me! :-) I missed some fabulous gardens obviously....

o

I Would have like to tour this one too. Very Nice.

o

That toad is wicked cool... I really, really like him. I also really like the conifers; they're so sophisticated and I bet they look fabulous with a dusting of snow on them.

o

It looks like a wonderfully interesting garden. I do think guy gardeners can have a different take on things than women gardeners. I think the slate table is quite cool. Thanks for putting these up Kathy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here