Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #397 Herbalissimo !

dodgerdudette
15 years ago

We've talked from time to time about a herb-themed Idyll..so here we go--if you don't have plants to share, I bet you have recipes !

Carry on Idylls..

Kathy in Napa

Comments (100)

• gardenbug
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

DH asked me the difference between bulbs, rhizomes, corms, tubers and stolons. I thought I knew, but it is very hard for me to describe and give examples!

Saucy, is the collar a Gentle Leader perhaps? Give details please! With arthritis in my thumbs, walking Phoebe on a leash is not fun. At home she's fine with no collar, but on the road or in town, that's another story.

V, I enjoy the varying feedback on books at book club. I wouldn't find discussion any fun if others all had the same views as mine. We are only about 8 people though, so we know each other pretty well, in fact well enough to guess responses to the various reads...and often be correct.

Today I need to get moving. Lots to catch up on - and finally, payday!!! DH begins classes next week and has 8:30AM classes 3 days a week, then 4PM classes on different days. I see early breakfasts and late dinners in my future.

Later!
    'bug

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well my lap top is still working this morning. Neat! Its funny how we take things for granted, like me enjoying my morning cup of coffee sitting my favorite chair, planning my day and checking out the Idylls. It's nice to have my morning routine back. WE are going to have another lovely day here with plenty of sunshine and perfect temps. Now, if we'd only get a little rain here it would be perfect. Like V I can't believe I'm looking for some rain. The hose dragging and oscillating sprinklers will be part of my life until we get some rain.

V. I'm hoping you take lots of photos of your pig roast to share here. It sounds like such a great party.

Saucy, paying someone to dig out the new border sounds like a plan to me. So are you getting back to the gym on a regular basis? I'm planning on it myself. Time to get my fitness level back up where it was last year.

Martie, You must be so ready to be back at work. Sounds like you're raring to go.

Kathy love the photo of the Angelica. I'd really love to grow some here. Monique and Les have a beautiful patch of it in their gardens this year. ~~ HOpe your winds don't bring any fires with them.

Bug, lol about 'discomgoogolated'. So that's what you call it?

Woody, nope the problem you mention with Outlook is not what happened here. I picked up some kind of Trojan. I think my DS is having that problem though.

Mary, how did the pool party/BBQ go? I was thinking of you yesterday.

So the Mailbox Garden has been a surprise and delight this year. I had an ornamental kale plant survive the winter and decided to leave it there to see what it did. Well, it's gigantinormous and beautiful! The Datura Wendy grew from seed and gave me is perfect next to it along with the 'Fascinaton' dahlia, salvia and cleome. Anyway, it's one of those fun unplanned for combinations.

{{gwi:176653}}

{{gwi:176654}}

{{gwi:176655}}

OK off to the gym, have a great day all
    Deanne

• saucydog
    15 years ago

GB, it is made by Gentle Leader, but it's not the silly one that goes over the dog's "nose"....Zeus spent entire walks trying to remove that from his face :)

This one sits on the chest, and if Zeus pulls, it causes him to turn toward me. After just 2 walks, he starting setting his pace with mine so that he wouldn't get a tug in the chest.

It's a bit on the pricey side....I didn't like paying 20 bucks for something I wasn't sure of, but it works for us.

I will say that Zeus is not really into other dogs/people/things on his walks....without a leash, he walks 20ft ahead of me on a steady path of marking and moving on....always checking behind himself to see if I'm still there :) Of course the leash law doesn't allow us this option :) I have noticed that my friend's Corgi, with his short legs and stout chest, can wrangle himself out of this if he sees another dog....but I think our big, long legged dogs have no choice. There's also some literature on pressure points that cause dogs to pull (think of dog sledding) and how this leash does not apply pressure to those points.

Wow...I didn't realize how much I liked this leash :)

Here's a link:

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pretty quiet around the Idylls today . Still hot here, and we are looking at 90s for the entire week. Looks like watering will be the order of the day. Or days as the case may be..

Deanne, your mailbox garden is tres magnifique ! Wonderful combos and so nicely designed-I note the repeated elements like the Coleus, Allysum. Fuchsia (another Beacon Rosa ?) and what looks to be Zulu Wonder Plectranthus ? Fabu-fabu !

Martie, we can tell youre back in the workforce by the sudden decline in Idyll visits. But one must earn the daily bread ! Herb books, The Herb Society of America Encyclopedia of Herbs and Their Uses, a DK book, published in 2001, Ros Creasys Edible Herb Garden shes a bit of a SF Bay Area institution , and her edible landscape series is popular here. I also have smaller reference called The Ultimate Book of Herbs & Herb Gardening by Jessica Houdret this was a book originally published across The Pond.

50 bucks to rototill that garden Saucy ? I would jump all over that in a hot minute-you cant even rent a rototiller around here for 50 bucks.

Putting The Lace Reader on the list.

Later all !

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Good stressed-out evening to you all. Okay, I'm stressed, not you but I'll make you share my pain!

Suddenly the realization has hit that today is blasted Tuesday and the party is on Saturday. Frankly, the big stuff is under the control, but the little stuff is nagging at me big time. I think part of my issue is that DH is throwing me little curve balls. He forgot to drop off his dry cleaning, so I had to come home and then back track to town, which probably chewed up an extra half hour that I didn't have to spare. I need to take a couple of deep breaths and keep on moving.

You can all help me, though, by sending some rain my way tomorrow. I won't have time to water before dark, so if it doesn't rain, I don't know what plan B will be. One of these days, I'll teach the labs to run the hose!

Here's today's time management tip. Save your June magazines to read in September. It's so much faster to read when you can skip over those articles on summer fashion, sun glasses, beach reads.

It's hot here also. In fact, today was the hottest day of the summer so far, if you can believe that. It's supposed to cool off tonight, but I may need to turn on the a/c before bed.

OK, I have a few emails to get out, so I'd better do that pronto.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Doing the rain dance...

National Weather service gives you a 40% chance.
    Have a glass of wine and a chocolate dipped strawberry-or two.

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Get your car washed in the morning V, and don't take an umbrella to work! I'll do what I can for you! Leave some windows open in the house too.... ;)

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Morning all.

It sure is dark this morning :) Funny, I haven't been up at 6 in a while....

I called about the rototiller....that price is for a veggie garden that just needs to be turned over for the winter. It's going to cost me $82 to rent it. It's on the list for this upcoming weekend :)

The middle panel for the trellised wall behind the Goddesses is on backorder....another 2-4 weeks before they ship! I can see that some careful planning needs to happen so that I don't have to stomp over plant material to get them in place.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! Deanne, I'm back in the gym, but haven't gotten my consistent routine down....of course school starting will help that. I'm trying to walk as much as possible, too, so that I can drop a little of the giggly stuff I accumulated over the summer :)

I had fresh heirloom tomatoes with feta and good balsamic for dessert last night....tomato is a fruit, right? LOL, all I could think was that I should top it with basil for the sake of this Idyll, but I couldn't get my feet to walk out in the dark for it....

V., I'll do a little rain dance for you today, but I think GB is spot on with her suggestions, LOL!

I guess I'm going to wrap this up and get the day started. Have a great one!

Saucy

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Good morning! As perfect a September morning as one can want. Rain is predicted here for Saturday and I think the plants will juuuuuuuust make it.

Last Friday brought some mint ('Kentucky Colonel') to work for a woman who wanted some for her garden. Yesterday, half the office wanted cuttings, too!! Is this an herb revolution???? No, it seems that a major ingredient to a popular drink called Mojito is mint. LOL Since this is one request that I can accomplish on a massive scale, an armload of mint is ready to go to work. The whole office will smell of it, but Who Cares??

This weekend lights are being re-erected downstairs for cuttings and some tenders. It seems impossible that it's that time, already. I'm doing an experiment with Willow vs. Rootone. Willow has been my fav rooting substance for years, but the thought of the smell of it boiling in my kitchen on a rainy day doesn't do much. So, some will be done with both and we'll see what happens.

What do others use?

Neighborhood kids started school yesterday and amongst the usual gathering in the middle of the cul-de-sac, it occurred to me that we've been here exactly four years. Cause for celebration!!

Yes, it is gratifying to be back at work and be greeted with such warmth and enthusiasm. Many structural changes are occuring to the hierarchy but most seem for the better. One great thing about being a seller is that typically, those positions are the last to go.

Puffing hard to make the clouds go toward V :-)

Great library, Kathy.

Later, 'gators!

Martie

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well I've had to install the hose end to the end of my right wrist again. I simply cannot believe how da m - ed fast things dry out with 84 degree temps and 20mph winds. I'm sure if we were dealing with the end of Gustaf we'd be screaming for this beautiful weather but I really wish we'd get a few inches of that rain and that another few of those inches of rain would visit V. ~~ It does look like we are going to get the tail end of that tropical storm coming up the east coast though. Hopefully it won't come with damaging winds.

V. I think Bug has nailed the "make it rain behavior". Especially the washing the car thing. If you have a sun roof on the car do leave that open to the weather as well. YOu might have a wet bum but wouldn't it be great if it makes it rain. ~~ Ummmm.... why did you deal with your Dh's dry cleaning if he is the one who forgot it? You are way too nice.

Saucy, I'm trying to do the daily gym thing again myself but am having to only do every other day to start this week. I burned myself out yesterday. Like you I need to get back to a routine. I have started daily posting to my FitDay program and counting calories and fat grams again. Ugh... ~~~ Bummer abut the backordered trellises.

Kathy, wow, 90's! Horrible. I just hate that kind of hot weather especially in September. ~~~ So happy you like my mailbox garden. There are a couple Beacon Rosa's in that garden but the ones showing in that photo are 'Billy Greene'. Also, those plectranthus are 'Mona Lavender'.

OK time to get outside and water. Have a great day
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

Today as our first day of school. It is always bittersweet seeing Annie and David leave to start another school year. Big changes for both as Annie begins High School and David Middle School. Poor Annie was up much of the night tossing and turning. It was all I could do not to go in and lie down next to her and tell her everything would be OK. (For a teen that would be definitely uncool LOL!). David was mildly nervous but mostly sad that summer had come to an end. He headed off on his bike with a big wave looking forward to seeing friends again.

For me, a morning spent on my garden job then choosing tile for the kids' bathroom redo. My bills for the two garden jobs will bring in enough cash to cover the bathroom materials and allow me to splurge on granite tile.

Sending rain V's way and good wishes to all.

Mary

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Martie, I don't normally use any rooting medium I just stick whatever I want to propagate in a jar of water. It seems to work 95% of the time.

D

• anitamo
    15 years ago

We had rain last night and some more on the way. Wahoo!!! I'm sure you got the same weather system I did, V, right? Your party is going to be a smashing success, of course it will. But I know all about those little things that can cause the stress-o-meter to reach high levels. I have a party to host on the 14th. All family, but a lot of them.:)

Another way to make it rain is to water everything the day before. That's what I did yesterday, and there's the rain this morning, right on schedule.

I can smell fall in the air. My favorite time of the year. I have to run out soon and get some more cinnamon/vanilla scented candles. Usually, I like the unscented ones, but I picked these up at a local nursery a few weeks ago, and they're my new favorite. Instantly brings on the Autumn coziness.

Deanne...your mailbox garden still looks spring perfect. How do you do it? That Datura 'Wendy' (lol) is fabulous. I love the color on it.

Saucy...I am looking so forward to seeing some photos on the GG progress. I am living vicariously through you, since I don't have any garden projects going on now, and the GG sounds great. How are the bees these days? What preparations do you need to take for the winter? Or do they die off? I know so little about one of the garden's best friends.

Mary...It's always bittersweet when the kids return to school. This is the first year in forever that I don't have one returning. Except college, but that's different. And by the way, I think teenage daughters, especially, still need a little snuggling session with their moms. I don't think Annie would have minded at all.

Hi Marion...have the color changes began in your yard? I look forward to seeing it when it does.

Just a drive by...have a rainy day everyone.

Anita

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Well I was just going to check to see if we have any Idyll birthdays in September and all my XL spreadsheets are GONE including the Idyll birthdays. So I'm going to have to pass the torch and ask someone with an updated list to take over the Birthday duties or email me the list. Thanks!
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

OK, mark this one down: May 3rd, 2009. It's a bit early to announce, but Eden will understand! Today is their anniversary too! At least that part isn't a secret!

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Congratulations to you Nana Marie! That's great news.

It's raining here. We needed it! Hope V got her rain too.

The first day of school always seemed like more of a fresh start to me than New Years. New schedules, new clothes, even a new season. I was always a bit sad to see the relaxed pace of summer come to an end though.

Deanne, thanks for sharing your mailbox garden. Very nice. I have a p. mona lavender that's just huge this year. I just love that plant. Always reminds me of Cynthia and hers. Aren't those double daturas just the most beautiful blooms. I have a purple and a yellow. The purple really outblooms the yellow for some reason which makes the yellow seem more special to me.

Hard to believe it's September. My gardens are still looking relatively good and I don't want to face the fact it will soon be time to start dragging in all of the tropical stuff.

Martie, glad to hear your reentry into the world of work has gone smoothly.

Anita, I think autumn would be my favorite season if I didn't know winter is on it's heels.

Mary, wondering how Annie and David's first day back went. The first day of highschool especially is a big one!

Saucy, you're really chipping away at all the work of making the Goddess Garden. Seems that you have a little more done each day. So planting will begin soon? Hope Jake had a good first day and the worrying is over for him. Sarah sounds like she's much more of a free spirit?

Martie, I rarely use any rooting medium either. My method is just sticking the cuttings in a 4 inch pot of potting soil. Works 90%+ of the time for me. I do occasionally use a water bottle with the bottom cut out as a cloche over a few more difficult things, expecially if I'm trying to root them indoors. Getting cuttings to take isn't a problem for me. Keeping them watered all winter, now that's a different story... I pledge to do better this year!

Megan has to take cookies for a parent preschool meeting tomorrow night and since she's working I somehow got railroaded into making Magic Seven Layer Bars for her. I just had a taste while I was cutting them. So good but probably a million calories a bar!

Bella's waiting for me with a stack of books so have a good night everyone!

Almost forgot to mention my most favorite herb. Must be a throwback to my teenage years in the 70s. Anyone else grow it or recognize what it is?

{{gwi:176657}}

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is that a Patchouli Eden ?

Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

It is patchouli Kathy. I think it's a scent most people either love or hate. One of the two most prominent scents of the '70s I think :)

Eden

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I recognize Patchouli....put a little leaf in your wallet...it attracts more green :)

I'm having a really bad day - hard time just moving past things - guess I need to stew :) I'm mad at this insurance jerk who wants to be stuck up my husband's behind, so he goes around me and asks him questions, and he doesn't tell the guy any different. I'm this close to calling the guy on speaker and laying down the law as to who signs the insurance check around here.

Just so you know, we're talking commercial policy, not home policies....I have very nice, well behaved agent for my home :)

V., I really believe that you should have let the MIL clean out your garage :) Will she do mine?

Eden, I don't feel like I'm making that much progress...perhaps I need a before and after picture so that I can see :)

Deanne, I did good today at the gym....plan to go tomorrow. I like FitDay, too. I'm still able to lift some pretty hefty weights even though I've been out of the gym :) Gotta get back with the trainer because that was a real motivator for me.

Anita, I'm getting ready to go in and check the bee's honey and pollen stores, as well as brood size, for the upcoming winter. The bees can overwinter fine as long as they have proper ventilation (meaning clearing their entrance of deep snows), enough food, and a wind break, and enough worker bees to keep the hive "cluster" at a temperature in the upper 80's! I want Nick to put in a remote themometer so we can see this phenomenon!

A hive of bees will starve just inches away from food (honey) if they're trying to keep the brood warm and can't leave the cluster to feed. Sad.

Let's hope this winter is kind to my bees :) There's a hive opening at Tower Hill on Sept 13th....it's free with admission if anyone is in the area. I'm going to bring the kids and compare my hive.

Well....I guess it's time to end this rotten day. I hope I wake up on the right side of the bed tomorrow.

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its hot, dont like it , crispy plants , cats laying about looking blue. Welcome to September. Going to have a chicken salad sandwich for dinner , and hope the temps drop before bedtime. I would like to say, that here in Napa I could wash my car, wash the windows, water the lawn leave all windows and the doors open, and still , no rain here !

Martie, I only use Rootone, when I think about using anything . Nothing is more often the case.

So here is a pic of my Tarragon. I planted the S. leucantha and the tarragon about two weeks apart from 4 inch pots. The tarragon has disappeared into the Salvia jungle.
    French Tarragon is Artemesia dranunculus, (dranunculus=little dragon) and named as such for its abilty to cure the bites of mad dogs . Chelone needs some. One never knows what the reaction of the canine will be to the administered beating.

Baseball time-

Kathy in Napa {{gwi:176658}}From Garden Sept 08

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Kathy...how tall is the tarragon? I don't know anything about it. Wait...I'm gonna google...okay, I'm back and smarter than when I left. Is that the French or the Russian? The French tastes better, but the Russian is easier to grow. mmmm
    And the stalks can be used as an asparagus replacement. My favorite veggie. Gotta try some next year. One of my clients was just mentioning tonight that she goes to Napa every year, and she's leaving tomorrow for four days. One of the highlights of this visit is some big party that costs 250.00 just to get in. All the good wine and food you can handle. Know anything about it? Is it near you? She loves it there.

Saucy...So interesting on the bees and their winter survival. Wow, imagine it being 80 degrees in the hive when the air temps are zero. Fantastic creatures. Hope the other side of the bed awaits you tomorrow morning. :)

'bug...If I understood it right, you're going to be a nana again? Congratulations to all of you. Come May, we will be seeing a ton more pictures. We can handle it!

Eden...I meant to ask how your mom's doing? Is your sister still with her? I'm hoping all is well.
    The cookie bars sound scrumptious. What a great mom you are to bake up a batch at the last minute. Do you grow your cuttings under lights? I'm thinking of trying my hand at some coleus cuttings this winter, but don't know the first thing about doing it inside. I'm hoping you and Deanne can give me some pointers.

I didn't have much time in the gardens today, but did have a yucky thing happen. I walked right into a huge spider web!!! At first I thought it was someone grabbing my arm, that's how big it must have been, or at least it felt like it was. I was doing the "dance" in the yard, good thing it happened in the back where (hopefully) no one saw me, or heard me. I like spiders in the yard, but not on ME.

Nite all.

Anita

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

WE are supposed to have summer temps in the 90's here today and tomorrow. Kathy, I'm going to be feeling your pain. We've had 'severe clear' in the mid to high 80's the last several days and I can't give the pots in the front enough water. Yesterday I watered a couple of them three times. Jeesh. The container gardens are all looking pretty nice right now with one exception. The large papyrus in the front that had the 'Bonfire' begonia in it has done something I didn't expect. The papyrus roots have plugged the drain hole totally and I didn't realize it until the begonia started dying off. When I pruned it back I found standing water in the pot. Oh well. Chalk another thing to experience. I'm pretty bummed as that begonia looked really wonderful in there. The coleus is hanging on still so that will hopefully provide softening at the pot edge until frost.

Kathy, love the tarragon pic. What a pretty plant and neat that it is also a useful herb.

Saucy, I never thought about how a bee colony wintered over before. How interesting. What will you do if you see that they don't have enough supplies to survive the winter? Can you supplement their honey stores? That will be pretty interesting to see the hive opened at Tower Hill to compare it to yours. Wish I could go but I'm having company that weekend. Sept. is really busy for me this year with two seminars and company on the weekends between.

Eden, glad you've gotten some rain. I love P. 'Mona Lavender' too. It's just a great plant in all respects. And, yes, I just love that double purple datura. I'm probably going to always have to have a couple of those around. I'm really impressed with how its looking in that garden. Do you have a photo of the yellow bloom? I seem to recall that Mary had one of the yellows when we visited her a couple years ago. ~~ I hear you about dragging in the tropicals. This summer went by at light speed! I'm trying to convince myself to let a lot of this stuff go this year so I'm not so chained to the house this winter. ~~ That Patchouli plant is so pretty. I wish I liked the smell but alas, I'm one who doesn't care for it at all.

Mary, your 'babies' aren't babies anymore! I can't believe how much they've grown and matured since we've gotten to know you. Amazing to me that Annie is in High School this year. How did her first day go? ~~ Looking forward to seening pics of the next bathroom redo.

Anita, yukky! Like you I don't mind the spiders in the gardens as long as they stay off of me! The thing that bothers me about getting tangled in a web like that is if that web was that large and strong imagine how big the spider was that built it? Eeeeuuuuuu.....

Here is a pic of a new favorite dwarf Canna to me this year. I finally found this plant at Manhoney's a couple months ago. It's called 'Pink Sunburst' and it really is a winner of a plant. Wonderful, colorful leaves and beautiful soft pink flowers. It's looked great from the moment I bought it and is perfect for the front of that container border.

{{gwi:176659}}

{{gwi:176660}}

OK off to water the thirsty pots. Have a great day all.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

We had one of those 3 minute downpours last night....so I'm off the hook for hose dragging! It was quite a dry spell there last week! I'm sure I can think of something to do with the bonus time. ;) Maybe it passed over V's house too?

Yesterday my friends the gardeners arrived to help out and made the barn gardens look great! They're all edged and weeded and I can begin to feel better about things. I hope they can join me here again for a day next week! Funny thing too is that I have not bought many plants this year, just because the place was depressing me. Now I have a yen to get a few things. Autumn is just the greatest time for gardening in my opinion.

DH has been having his trials at work. Universities never seem to have things properly organized, so he makes a point of checking out his assigned classrooms and labs. The computers are always a problem and either broken or locked up with no keys etc...This time the rooms AND computers were locked up and the assistance phone number could not be reached. Each classroom had a different method of getting help and he had to ask one office for keys to be picked up at yet another office. He is now on his THIRD day of trying to get things functional. You'd think that the other profs using these rooms would be inspecting things in advance too, but no...

Any sign of Drema around? Wonder how things are going for her!

Later folks!
    'bug

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Good morning! I am actually looking forward to the rain forecast for this weekend, we need it! Things are pretty dry here, and I've been running the soaker hose this AM in the garden where I planted a lot of new things this spring, but I really don't like to do supplemental watering on established beds. If it can't survive, it can't stay here!

This has been a busy few weeks, it seems like the parents have more homework than the kids at the beginning of the school year. Fill out this form, read the school handbook with your child and sign off, write a check for this and that, etc. Tonite is the debut of Smart Music in our house - it is a computer program to record the kids practicing their instruments, so the teacher can listen later. The computer is in one room, and DD's drums are in the adjoining room - I'm hoping that the microphone will pick up her playing without having to move the snare drum in here. Maybe I should install a red light outside the door so nobody disturbs the recording sessions! DS is thrilled with his new trombone. He has only learned to put it together so far, not how to position the slide to get different notes. He can make some noise on it though! I'm looking forward to the sound of different notes rather than mad blowing. I guess the kids are lucky to get the opportunity to learn an instrument in school, many schools don't offer a music program.

Well, have to run, just wanted to stop in and say hello - waving to all! I'll leave you with a pic of the variegated brugs from a few weeks ago - love this thing!

{{gwi:176661}}

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Good morning, all - woefully behind as usual - I did a 4 day decompression mini-vacation at home -- put the family room finally back to order with arrival of furniture at long last (still missing 1 piece, another story) and kicked back.. and mostly vegged -- terribly sinful. But I think my body and mind needed it and I love having a 3 day work week - if only.....

It even spurred me to go pick up some blooming salvia and agastache to pop in the front garden for some much needed color; Im still waiting for the other durned salvias to bloom - it's been frustrating.

Temps shot back into the 90s as of Monday here and so more hose lugging required -- like others here Im looking for remnant tropical storm rain at this point and will welcome it!

Lots of gorgeous pics -- Deanne, those combos are fantastic in the mailbox area; I see that Kathy & Eden are truly holding up their end by supplying pics of marvelous herbs and other peeks of their wonderful gardens.

I will try to look at Mary's renovation finals and the tribute from Cynthia -- how lovely to see you pop in again. I hope you're on your way to healing.

Eden, glad to hear your Mom is home and resting peacefully (even if drugged) - most folks so much prefer to be in their homes w/ their loved items around, much as they may have good care in a hospital - Im sure your Mom is at peace because of that. That's great to hear of some future nurses - it's certainly a tough profession and there's a huge shortage out there.

Great to see you folks! I've just been a slug a bug and too lazy to exert myself to much. But hoping to work back into some energy now both at home and office (I have to move again tomorrow at ofc, ugh) --

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I am not sure exactly how much rain we have got from Gustav. It is somewhere between over 8 to 10 inches! When I came home from town Tuesday with my groceries, I miscalculated pulling up close to the house, in the rain, and ran over one gauge! It was at the very edge of the front yard flowerbed. I moved the other gauge to that spot, and set out a can in the other spot. I 'think' the one that I moved had a little more than 4 inches in it when I moved it. ( It only goes to about 6 and 1/2inches, and ran over sometime yesterday.) The can has over 4 inches in it this morning. So...we got at least 8 inches, in 48 hours. Thank goodness none of it was downpours, and I don't think it damaged our road.
    We also had gusty winds, and there is debris all over the yard. When it dries off, I will get out and clean it up.
    What did you Missouri folks get?

The only potted plant that blew over is the 6 foot tall Brassaia, Umbrella plant, that I set out in front of the woodshed. I threaten every year to leave it out and let it freeze, because it gets scale so bad indoors, then I always relent. :-(

I sure will not need to water anything for a least 2 more days!

Marian

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Marian - Wow! You're lucky you didn't float away, with all that rain....!

Deane - very pretty canna (another plant I've only grown once and decided it was more trouble than it was worth for me - especially since mine never flowered!)

Wendy - it's pictures like that that lured me into trying brugs!

Signs of summer's end here today:
    - We brought about half the houseplants back indoors and will probably bring the rest in tomorrow.
    - we took Misty for a walk by the lake after lunch and noticed the geese and ducks are gathering, obviously starting to think of the upcoming trek south. So far, there are just lots of separate flocks but the numbers are rising. There are a considerable number of resident geese and ducks and part of the increase is that the babies are now grown up, but there are more smaller flocks there now. They were still organized into smaller flocks today so they haven't started merging into bigger groups for migration yet.

The geese were easier to get pictures of. This is just a tiny part of a much larger group. A couple had let their German Shepherd off leash (not supposed to do that...) and it was having a ball chasing geese. These ones were ignoring it:
    {{gwi:176663}}

The ducks don't show up as well. This is part of one of the small groups:
    {{gwi:176664}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

The geese were out in our front field today, but I think it will be a while yet before they are off. Our night time temperatures are going to be cool next week, but for now they're still above 50F.

Our phone always has terrible static (or worse!) whenever it rains. Every year they patch it again, afraid to do the job properly. It would involve laying new wire from the road to the house, through some flower beds as well. I haven't been able to use the phone at all for over a week, a real nuisance. I can't even use the phone to call for repairs! DH managed to get hold of Bell today and to my surprise, they are coming on Sunday to take a look once more! Sunday! Here in the land of "no Sunday sales"!

Picked up a hosta today. They are all at least half price and there are some very pretty ones. None of them look like their tags, but they look healthy and full. Some were $33...and at half that, not a bad deal. Mine cost $8 though. ;)

Today was humid and cloudy and warm, in the low 80s. Tomorrow they predict rain...just when I'm supposed to go to a great plant sale in a nearby town. We'll see.

This afternoon Phoebe chewed my desk. I was NOT amused!!!! She was seriously scolded and caged for her misdemeanor, but the instant she came back to my room, she tried to start again! She's almost 9 months old and is going through a naughty phase. I don't know, pillows were bad enough, but furniture? Man oh Man!

The kitties are hungry, so off I go. Hope everyone is unwinding after their long days "at the shoe factory", as DH puts it. (His classroom situation has not improved yet. Day 4 of this nonsense!)

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, its 97, plants are sad . I watered all the containers in back as soon as I got home and Im almost afraid to go out and see what the flowers in the front yard look like. Ill wait till it gets down to 87 ! Meanwhile, cold beer and Idylling in the relative cool of the house is on the agenda.

Wow, Marian, its a good thing youre on high ground what a boatload of rain! Wed have the sandbags out here for sure. What kind of temperatures do you have in weather like that ?

Deanne, I can see why youre so taken with that Canna, and the flower color really is quite nice. Pinks can be so variable , and there are some that I just plain dont like this one sets off really well against its foliage. I jotted down the name even though I cant buy any more plants. oh, but I did bring home a 5 gal. Bambusa glaucescens Alphonse Karr yesterday. Too hot to take a pic so I linked one belowI love the stripey culms. He will live in a pot , and will probably have to move inside in winter when I become an Oregonian.

Hi Wendylove the Brug, and kudos to you in the light of my abysmal failure with variegate Brugs-of course if you check out the Truth in Gardening thread you will see my abysmal failure on Brugs in general. My DD did violin when she was in school- pretty squeaky sounding, lol !

Good for you doing that veg gig Cindy sometimes that is called for. I did my share over the holiday weekend.

Anita, that is French Tarragon, and if it were not living in the shade of the Salvia it would get about 10 or 12in tall-not a large plant. With all the big $$ in this valley there seems to be fund raisers of one sort or another going on every weekend . Im not sure what it is your client might be going to, but I bet its wine related ! Some winerys have events that are meet the winemaker type things where you get fabu food, paired with the wines and hosted by the winemaker, and 250 sounds about right for one of those .

Guess I better go face the music with the hose out in the front..

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

I'm deep into the throes of party prep but much less stressed than I was the other day. Of course, I've had several glasses of red wine over the last two days...

I thank you all for your rain dances, and I wanted to let you know it's time to stop. We've gotten about 3 1/2 inches courtesy of the remnants of Gustav and things have returned to green.

Just in time for the party I got the last thing I needed to finish off my brick path - a large pot of degenerated granite. The only way I could find to buy it was in large cubic yard bags that were way more than I needed, but a friend at a landscape supply company donated the small quantity that I needed. I hope to get it finished tomorrow night or Saturday morning. Photo to follow!

I may be scarce in the next couple of days, but I should have party pics on Sunday. Enjoy until then!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've always prefered my granite to be degenerate.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

V., I laughed about stopping the rain dances....your brick pathway is highly anticipated!

Marian, that's quite the soaking! Glad the driveway stayed put....but it would've been nice if the rain gauge had moved, huh?

I noted Canada Geese on the lake in Maine. I didn't realize the came back together in the fall....didn't realize that they dispersed! Must read more :)

GB, it must be nice to have the garden straightened up!

Deanne, that's a gorgeous canna! The blocked drainage hole has probably contributed to the giant papyrus' sucess, don't you think? Is that the container you're speaking of? the Inta container?

Nick was at a housefire starting at 4am....I was awake at 3 to hear the alarm at 4....then I had trouble getting back to bed until I knew the fire was out. The family is fine, but I'm gonna be dragging today.

The kids and Nick are still going camping even though the rain is headed up the coast :) They've got all their usual rain gear - they're experienced at camping in the rain :) I'm going to head to the Tower Hill plant sale with SunnyD to snatch up more plant material.

I did a crazy thing yesterday :) I interviewed a cleaning service and signed them up for next week! I hope it works out for all involved because I'm pretty excited about letting that go and taking on some new ideas in other areas. The company is right here, but that doesn't make it less work, and I find my housekeeping is falling behind, LOL, to put it nicely :)

So I'm in a cleaning/organizing mood right now, and that's how I'll spend the other part of my weekend...closets/pantry/drawers.....time to get them orgainized!

Time for me to start thinking about what to wear to the gym.....hmmm.....red or blue shirt today?

Saucy

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Happy Friday. Had a chance to look at Katie's tribute and got fairly misty. She was one heck of a friend to all of us, in a way.

Big rain expected here tomorrow. Grateful for that. Established beds have been getting just spot watered to help the younger plants along, but a good soaking will do everything a lot of good. Imagine that after such a rainy June to August.

Neighborhood kid gathering last night to check on carrot progress in the raised bed. We'll leave'em in until after frost and then each kid can have one for Thanksgiving.

Also some discussion about why there is a milkweed in the middle of an otherwise organized garden. Answer from the now-6-year-old who was proud as heck to know: The fairies need a place to sleep in the winter. He rremembered and I'll be extremely careful about what I say from here on out :-)

It's been great to read of Wendy's and Mary's kids return to school. I actually miss those days, except for the check writing.

Why is it that there are more different colors in the garden now than at any other time of year? Hmmmmmmm, think some serious perennial research is in order to balance things out.

Everyone have a great day!

Martie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

gb - yes, it'll be another month or more before the geese take off I expect, but they start gathering about now. This area is on the migration route for lots of things. When the Monarchs start migrating there are often large clouds of them going overhead! Actually the butterflies route is a mile or two west - do you remember where we walked along the lake behind these townhouses near the marina? The Monarchs' route goes over that area and the gardens there can be loaded with Monarchs in the days before they leave. Re Phoebe's chewing... watch out for wooden chairs! I know one lady whose juvenile Black Lab chewed the leg off one of her kitchen chairs! :- )

It looks like we may only get a few showers from the remains of Gustav. Most of the clouds are to the west of us - and it sounds like most of the water has been dropped over Marian and V!

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well I'm off to CT today to teach a seminar SAturday and Sunday. As it works out I'm going to be able to stay at Sue's B&B instead of the hotel I normally stay in. Woohoo! So I get to have dinner with my Idyll buddies on Sue's patio this evening. (I'm hoping the predicted rain holds off long enough to dine outside tonight.) Les and MOnqiue are cominhg up and I believe we are going to sing a happy birthday to Les. (I think his acutal birthday is one day next week) Reminds me, I've got to get him a card.

Saucy, very neat that you are hiring a cleaning service. I keep thinking about doing that again but I've tried a couple times in the past and didn't find someone that 'clicked'. ~~~ RE the Inta container, yes indeed that is the one and I think you are completely right that the blocked drainage is why the papyrus is doing so well. You wouldn't believe it but it's actually a couple feet taller than it was the last time you were here. Amazing plant. I'll have to hack off a piece of that canna for you next spring. You'll love it.

V. I was thinking of you when I saw your area getting clobbered with rain. LOL about stopping the rain dances. Hopefully the rain will be done in time for your party. Looking forward to pics of the brick path.

Kathy, 97?! ugh! That's just nasty. I ROTFLOL when I read in one sentence that you can't buy anymore plants but did happen to pick up a five gal. bamboo! Just a little thing right?

Wendy, I'm insanely jealous here. I ditched my variegated brug last fall because I couldnt' get the darned thing to bloom. Yours is lovely!

Bug great score on the hostas!

Woody, wow, you are already bringing in your houseplants?! I'm not going to tackle that for another couple weeks. Love the geese pics.

Hi Cindy! glad to hear you had a good weekend off and your furniture arrived.

Wow Marian, that's a lotr of rain!

OK I've got to get my day started as I have to finish getting my classroom materials ready and pack my weekend bag. Have a great day all.

Deanne

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Cleaning service...What a great concept Saucy! Sometimes it is important to just do what you are good at and drop the rest! I could easily drop housework! Hey, I think I already have, by the looks of things! Usually winter is when I get to drawer & closet duty.

As to the gardens, there is only one patch under control with many more in desperate need, but even just one tidy patch gives hope! Today we are likely to have thunderstorms. I don't mind really, but I do need a stretch of cool dryish weather to finish some cleanup. We have some colorful trees around already, as well as lots of leaves on the ground. Lots of fat frogs and toads, spiders too.

How's it going Sue?
    'bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Happy Friday -

boy, count me in on the idea of wanting a cleaning service; but like you, Deanne, I remain skeptical of their quality - I hired a person for the first time ever about 3 yrs ago; and she lasted about a year until she fired me -- ostensibly becuase she didnt want to clean on Saturdays any more - Im not trusting enuf to give keys to my place to have done while Im not there - so that's an issue -- and the quality of what you get is an issue - altho Im verging on the desperate now - or the "well anything is better than nothing".

What fun to have another get-to at Sue's -- take more pics - we love pics! That canna is lovely but I confess I do like the blooms very very much...

Kathy - you had me laughing as well re the purchase of that very cool looking "small" plant. Ugh on the 97 - altho I think we hit 93 Weds....

Glad to hear those rain dances worked for you, V -- Im dying to see the finished degenerate work, LOL....

Well, I have to start packing boxes (again) for this very stupid office move, amongst the regular work so duty calls.

Hope your phone gets fixed, 'bug!

Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

A doctor's appointment has me running late this morning and I need to leave early to get home and get things ready for the idyll dinner guests tonight. Sheesh, where do all the hours in a day go?

Just took a chance and watched the Katie video. It helps the process to throw your efforts into creating something lasting like that. For Zak I made a web page. Beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl.

OK, gotta run. Enjoy the day!

Sue

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Whooray ! That big bright yellow thing is out, and it is so bright I can hardly see! It had been 4 days since we saw it. The ground is still almost standing in water....it is VERY wet ! There are lots of mushrooms in the woods.

Tim said that he was without power for some time, and his lady friend was still out this morning(since tuesday). He said that is as close to experiencing a hurricane that he ever hopes to be. He is quite a bit south of me in Arkansas, at Malvern.
    His power is restored sooner that many in that area, since he lives close to an industrial area.
    The Little Rock area where the grandaughters live was without power a day and a half. But the schools were still open.
    They, Tim and the girls, plan on coming to visit next weekend.

I am glad to hear that V got some of Gustav's rain. Three+ inches does not sound like too much to me. :-)

Marian

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Yippee....the camping train has left. Sarah wished me a good score on my plants as I wished them a good trip :)

My feet are KILLING me....this time it seems to be the whole sole and even the tops where they meet the ankle, so I'm off for a pedicure and then home for a shrimp cocktail dinner :)

Happy Birthday Les! Tell him we said so, ladies :) I'll second the wish for photos of food and surroundings....we must live vicariously!

I'll be back later with a few pictures to share, I think!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Glad you're getting a visit from Tim soon Marian! Hope he won't need to swim down the drive...;)

Saucy, a weekend alone is a treat in my opinion, however I know others don't relish solo time as much as I do. Somehow i had thought your faciitis was a thing of the past and didn't realize your feet were still troubling you. I'm all for pedicures. Time is what helped me most, but some massage and exercises were prescribed and they may have helped a bit too.

Today was a wet day and I got some planting done. YEAH! I planted more angelica gigas, persicaria Blackfield, some drumstick primulas, a white chelone ( I hope it's white! I have pink) a yellow hellebore, creeping tiarella, a globeflower and some dictamnus. Ghetto table is CLEARED OFF!

I'd really like dinner over at Sue's tonight with the ladies and birthday fellow, but since that cannot be, I'd settle for dinner OUT. Need to tell DH!
    Enjoy your weekends everyone!
    'bug

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Tomorrow I'm going up to see my mom for a couple of days. I'm taking Bella too because my mom really wants to see her. She's in the hospital now but will soon be going to a small facility where hospice will be helping to care for her. My sister tells me it's on a farm and only has 6 patients and is a very nice place. My dad just can't care for her on his own at home anymore. The Drs say we probably only have a couple of weeks left with her now. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to get through this but I do know I'll find a way. The next weeks will be hard. I just wanted to keep you all updated about what's going on.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Eden, I hope that your mother is comfortable, and that you and Bella have a nice visit with her. (((hugs))) Bella is so lucky to know her Great Grandmother! Emphasis on Great!

The best to your family.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Hugs to you Eden. Having Bella with you will be good! We'll chat later. Yes, you'll get through it...somehow.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Eden...I'm glad you are going to be able to take Bella with you. I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. I hope your Mom and your Mom has what she needs and I am sure that is having all of you with her as much as possible. I hope your family can reach out to each other and find comfort. I find myself thinking of you and your family often and I am sure will continue to do so. Take care.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eden, How nice that you will be able to take the lovely Isabella with you on your journey to visit with your Mom, and I can imagine how precious your time there will be for all of you. My very best wishes to you ..(((Eden)))

Kathy in Napa

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Eden, my best to you and your family. Hugs to you all.

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I just had time to catch the few previous posts. I suppose everyone is different but I've never had a housekeeper that I didn't like. ROFL
    Great minds I suppose - I've been thinking about getting someone again. My last one was several years ago and I sure do miss her!

I've had puppy disasters with another foster that I'm too angry to even relate here. Some people are just idiots, period.

TGIF indeed! :)

Jerri

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We were supposed to hit 100 today, but thankfully remained in the mid 90s, right now at 8:30ish its cooling off into the high 70s.I just got back from listening to my DSs band at our little outdoor amphitheatre downtown on the river; they have free concerts there every Friday night with various local bands. Took some pics but they turned out too dark I think. Its expected to remain hot through the weekend. September can be pretty toasty here, good for the grapes , as harvest and crush gets into full swing.

Im thinking about purchasing a one shot-deal cleaning when I go back into the multiple listing service next month. I just dont seem to be able to get out from these 10 hour days at work-today I was there from 6am till 5pmat least I have no commute , but some days Im just drained when I come home and housework is the last thing I want to do. Id much rather deadhead floppy asters and rudbeckias !

Marian, enjoy your time with your family visitors ! Will you all go out to breakfast at the One Stop ? Maybe this is not till the weekend of the 13th ?

Saucy, I think its about time we get some progress pics on all this stuff you have planted, you could even include a shot of the newly dolled up toes...

So were the heck has Chelone gotten to the last few days ? Gonna go watch the last 2 innings of the Dodgers.

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

OK, so I went to bed...but now it's 2am and I can't sleep. Grrrr. So we need a 100th post before the Friday night photos from Sue's arrive....

Here the excitement is the blooming of my two Caryopteris Snow Fairy. What a year for this it is here! Big and beautiful! I'd love it even without blooms, but the tiny little blue flowers are a real treat!

We pruned some of the bottom limbs from our Bechtel Crabapple so that I could mow around it, also needed to prune back a huge Berberis Royal Cloak and my smoke bush as well. They were all definitely out of bounds, perhaps due to the rain we had earlier in the season. Today I may cut back some peonies that look brown and horrible. No shortage of projects!

Dinner was out. We tried a different spot for variety, DH's choice. It was an Italian/Mexican place. What a combination! Anyway, the Mediterranean Pasta was really good and the Santa Fe Salad was only so/so.

Tra La!
    'bug