Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #489 ..August Wrap-Up

dodgerdudette
13 years ago

My garden always looks spent in August, 3 months or more with no rain. This weekend I'm going to hack back anything that doesn't please me , and hope to have a nice September regeneration.

Carry on Idylls !

Kathy in Napa

Comments (100)

• triple_creek
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh no! Woody. That's just not fair. Very painful too I imagine.

Congratulations to Nanna Bug. The boys are catching up to the girls on the Idyll's.

We had a beautiful cool day today after storms overnight that brought 4 and a half inches rain. It felt so good to do a little work outdoors without extreme heat.

Off to bed . N

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A reference to this on a blog, and thought of Cindy !

• jak1
    13 years ago

OH WOODY!!!!! ((((( )))))

Cheers, Julie

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Holy moly, I thought my week was bad, Woody -- geez o pete -- what a drat turn of events. Kathy's idea of tring to keep some tone while in the wheelchair sounds as tho it has merit -- and I echo the sentiment of you're having the unique DH and so glad he retired at a good time. Take care of yourself please!!

Kathy - I had forgotten about that tanacetum's name, LOL - I've looked at it and contemplated buying at some point, but it's a bit more yellow than I usually like. I may have to find a spot for it no matter what. How I envy your next R&R - what a lovely spot that was and I'd spring for that extra view too - you deserve it - especially since you had to forego your NE Leaves trip this year..... I need some serious days off myself.

This was the week I want to forget at the awfice - luckily it's over and my memory is losing cells so fast these days it seems to take the memories too, LOL...

We had nary a single drop of rain out of H. Earl here so it was early morning sprinklng -- Stella sure does love to get soggy - I'll have to try to have a camera at hand (which is dangerous w/ me - water, camera, spaz....not sure the camera/or cameraphone would survive)... She's off to get her first 'do this a.m. and leash event this p.m. Think I found a type of chew stick that may work, w/ her but I'm trying to be careful re her digestion so must go slow....keep the fingers crossed!

Okay, off to water the burnt up stuff out front.... it was still 90 all day yesterday; a typical DC sauna day...

But am luxuriating in the 3 days of peace -- I had to go to bed at 8:30 last nite to end the week -- altho Stella and I had a 2 a.m. play foray, after my long "nap" - so feeling a bit more human today.

Looking forward to hearing of the events re 'bug's newest GS!!

-Cindy

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi everyone.

Woody, I hope you are doing better today. You have a lot on your plate, and I wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. I hope your ankle heals quickly with no lingering issues, and that your upcoming surgery gives you some positive answers. I think of you often. I bought a couple of kniphofia this year on sale. Their blooms were done, but I have always wanted some. I hope they come back next summer. I like the color combos you have.

Bug, looking forward to hearing/seeing the latest news on your grandbabies. Glad everything went well for Sarah's delivery. You must be excited to get out there. I hope your brother continues to recover as well as he has so far.

Kathy, you lucky dog! I love Swan Island dahlias, thank you for sharing your trip with us. Oregon has always seemed to me like a wonderful place. Definitely on my dream travel list.

Cindy, glad you are having fun with Stella, and that you have a long weekend to look forward to. Also glad to hear that your daughter got the job, and a new house too, right? You have has a busy month and a half.

I bought a smoker at a garage sale and plan to make something in it for the family when they come over on Monday for dinner. My daughter Mary Kate was really sick a couple of weeks ago. Terrible pain in her stomach. After a few days of me being over there all day, she went to the ER because she was doubled over in pain. We thought it was flu or iritalble bowel. She got the results back Thursday, turns out she tested positive for salmonella. They are very careful about food, never eat out. Charlie has never had fast food in his life, and they do not buy eggs from the companies listed on the contaminated list. They buy organic milk, eggs, meat. She is a clean freak, doesn't leave food out. The only thing we can think of is the family reunion where everyone brought a dish. But she only ate pizza and veggies.(just to be on safe side) I am thinking cross contamination. Anyway, she is okay now.

It is only 70 degrees and very breezy here today. I almost forgot what chilly felt like.

Drema

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the good wishes!

Returning from morning walkies today...:
    {{gwi:176763}}
    (the bean towers in the background are finished for the year and need to be ripped out...)

My foot feels pretty good now that the swelling seems to be gone (can't tell for sure because of the bandages). I'm hoping that at the fracture clinic on Tuesday I'll be switched to the 'boot' brace and maybe be allowed to start putting weight on it and walking a bit.

Cindy - you definitely need to figure out how to get a picture of soggy Stella :-)

Drema - I'd bet the samonella was on the veggies - if they came in contact with something that had the samonella on it, the moist environment of juicy vegetables on a warm day would be a perfect breeding ground. Did anyone else that attended the event get sick?

It's cool and windy here today - a perfect day to work outside. I definately need to get back on my feet asap so I can work in the garden this fall. I think there's some deadheading I can do from the driveway. We did get a bit of rain on Friday so the paths are wet. I don't want to try to take the whelchair on the paths or it will track mud and dirt into the house. I have a walker that I keep on the back porch for gardening, another that I use for walking outdoors, and one in the house that is never used outdoors, which helps reduce the amount of dirt that normally gets brought indoors. But I can't keep that sort of segregation with only one wheelchair, so the house is going to get pretty dirty I think! Another incentive to get back on my feet asap...

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Reading about Woody taking a tumble was NOT the news I expected. Babies, yes. (And congrats to 'bug! and congrats again to Cindy.) Woody, you and Randy can figure out how to safely exercise. Resistance exercises with those big rubber bands maybe once the swelling goes down. So sorry for this setback.

Norma's SAC is spectacular. Deanne, I can't believe you're still out in the garden in these temps!

I've had that Isla Gold tansy for a while. It grows wispy for me, even with cutting it back constantly and hasn't bulked up into a nice clump, but I've seen photos where it has clumped up. It's completely obscured by a Solanum pyracanthum at the moment or I'd grab a photo.

Lots of visitors last week, but it's quiet again. I did nothing yesterday but read Howard's End, taking breaks to dig and move things around in the garden. Everyone seemed shocked at the level of sloth I can sink to. Made a quick dinner just for the two of us then watched an old PBS series on 5th century Greeks, then a long bath until bed. It does feel good to shed the 21st century for a day!

In the unfinished project dept, the house is half painted but what's painted meets everyone approval, kind of caramelly colors. Lots of interruptions but it'll get done.

Love hearing about little Stella. Ein can see out of the surgery eye, the cloudiness is replaced by a bright, mischievous glimmer again.

Drema, glad to hear your daughter is on the mend. Sounds like some good food at your house this weekend.

Enjoy your weekend!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of the unattractive features of my garden this time of year is the copious amount of leaf and petal litter underneath the roses. Its tricky to rake up without removing unacceptable amounts of mulch. Some of the roses are positioned so you cant really see the ground beneath them, but those in the gazebo garden (still referred to as such even though the gazebo is only a memory) are very exposed to view from all sides. I guess I could just bury the leaves with more mulch ! Wouldnt be a bad idea since the blasted oxalis is robust. And of course there are several daylilies in this same bed - we all know what they look like after they bloom-out. I need to just view this area as a blank slate and re-think the whole thing. If I have to move a half dozen roses , so be it. So you now have my ponderings for the day, such as they are.

Cindy, I guess its a good thing your babysitting gig at the awfice ended in a three day weekend-sounds like extra recuperation time was needed! So do I understand that you have someone come and walk Stella on workdays ? Will you continue this or will it be a feature of puppyhood only ? That seems like a good option for someone who is away for such a lengthy time during the day.

Hi Drema ! Always nice to see a post from you .. You should start an IUPNW travel fund, I really think Seattle/Portland will be an IU in the future, we sure seem to talk about it alot. Bad deal for Mary Kate...

Well Woody, you look none too happy at your wheeled confinement. At least walkies are still on the agenda.

Denise, my BILS just had diabetes related cataracts removed from both eyes of their mini-Australian sheepdog, it was a resounding success , though he is still confined to the Cone of Shame til next week. Hes now on insulin and a special diet too..if I ever have another dog I sure will re-think the whole feeding thing. Glad to hear that Ein is doing well..

Wonder what bug is up to this evening ?

Here is a pic of the purchased pots from Thursday, with the 5 gal bucket for scale. I have one additional of the terra-cottas, and they will be artfully (!!) staged in the front garden with seasonal plantings , the ceramic number will likely have succulents that are winter hardy, or maybe even a yucca. {{gwi:176765}}From Garden Summer 2010

Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Ooh Kathy I like those terracotta pots and can envision the trio. I have a yucca Color Gaurd that would look great in that pot. I planted mine in a half barrel because it had to be something I could leave out all winter.

Woody, going for walkies? I should have known you would'nt stay put for long. Be careful please.

Cindy, I hope you get the R&R you need this weekend.

Drema, I'm glad your DD is better. One has to be really careful about food these days. But it seems she is and was.

I had another great day for working outdoors today. I just wish there were ten of me for a few days to get caught up.

Denise , so good to hear Ein is seeing good again.

Thinking of Bug's family with the new baby. I to wonder what his name is.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone. N

• chelone
    13 years ago

I tried to post earlier this morning but "things wuz plugged up solid" on the internet super-highway.

Woody, I'm very sorry to hear about the spill and the resultant injury. It's terribly frustrating to be sidelined when there is so much you want to do. Has anyone else noticed all the drug ads.? we've been talking about it and at one point had a list of over 20 drugs we'd "seen on TV". Anyway, we listen to the side effect warnings and are amazed by some of them. Sometimes the "benefits" seem questionable. Bone loss scares me. Anyway, I think we should change "walkies" to "rollies". :)

Drema's DD and Salmonella is another thing that makes me pause. I'm glad she got it taken care of, but it does get me thinking about our own exposure and how we handle food. We are big on hand washing and we recycle a lot food through the dog, so there isn't much that sits around long enough to go bad, but there are bound to be items from the grocery store that are tainted in some way. I did not know stomach pains were part of the symptoms, figured it would be from the other end. ;)

We laughed and laughed at the "Cone of Shame" and the tags that permitted dogs to speak english in the movie, "Up". We also got a kick out of the dogs heads hanging out the windows of the airship. What a charming film, right up there with "Wall E". Good to know that the West Coast Corker is on the mend. I missed whether or not his cataract was diabetes related, though.

I had a cat that used to chew on eletrical cords, Cindy. I was very relieved when he "out grew it"! I can't even imagine a dog so small, but no matter what the size all dogs "have the same moves". Time to get busy with the beatings. Wrecks has been keeping very good watch over me as I've toiled away on TGDC; he rumbles when he detects a "pedestralian", but hasn't gotten up to bark or gone out the "greet" them. He pulls that crap with the helpmeet, though. Hehehe. Beatings I say! Will you be attending puppy classes?

I am keenly aware of gluteals that received a brisk work out yesterday. I've just come in from some more work, so I'll either be better tomorrow or unable to walk. Any bets? TGDC is a stern reminder of why it's called, "sweat equity". I have been looking around at plants that are either not flourishing or could be used differently and for better effect.
    1.) Clethra "Ruby Spice"; poor thing has languished for years with never an established site. It's leggy but still quite healthy and it flowers ever year. I wonder about buying a couple more and massing it in full sun. My plant has underwhelmed me, but I've seen it used very effectively and it smells nice. Thoughts?
    2.) Juniperus "Blue Star"; this is a couple of years old and is shaping up nicely. I have another that I just love in the cold seasons.
    3.) Juniperus horizontalis "Blue Rug"; languishing in too much shade near the mouth of the driveway. Love the color, but am not sure of how to use it effectively as it's very prostrate and will attain 6-8'. Do any of you have this plant in your gardens? I would like know how quickly it grows and if you prune it to keep it within boundries.

Things that please me:
    1.) Comptonia peregrina is taking off and colonizing nicely under the highbush blueberries.
    2.) Vaccinium corybosum (2) that were yanked out of other sites and moved to the roadside are doing well. Lots of sprouting from the roots and trimming back the tops gently each season is having a nice effect on the size and fullness of them.
    3.) Chamaecyparis "Nootkatensis" is really lovely. I love watching it in the wind and it's starting to fill the area it occupies. This is a really great plant.
    4.) Corunus kousa is was beautiful this year and is growing nicely.
    5.) I will never again ever turn my nose up at good ol' Arborvitae. In the right place they are superb screen plants.
    6.) Viburnum rhytidophlloides(!); this one lanquished for a year, also but has responded nicely to it's new site. The foliage is magnificent, though flowering and fruiting has been less that wonderful so far. Next year. I would like to add 1 or 2 more but am running into spousal opposition.
    I have pictures but haven't put any time into organizing them and sharing. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I have to hang laundry now. And will wonder about names for brand spanking new baby boys. Homer, Euclid, Dwight...

13 years ago

Chelone - 'rollies' are 'pushies' at this point :-) Randy dresn't trust me not to roll myself into the ditch! (no sidewalks here...)

• chelone
    13 years ago

OK, I'm fine with "pushies", lol. But I don't expect that you probably are!

Your home looks so pretty. I just love the yellow house and all the "front yard interest". I particularly like having places that are not visible from the road. I think looking at the road and traffic from the front lawn is vastly over-rated, personally.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Back at school and was told half-way through the first week that they were switching me from special ed second grade back to sped fourth grade-back inside the main building and upstairs. had to repack and move everything. Spent all day today there unpacking in the room I will be sharing with two ESOL teachers (once upon a time, I had this room all to myself-lovely), so I am tired and this will be a very quick drop-in.

Woody, how miserable for you to be going through all this now. How discouraging it must be to have to work around all those doctors. I do hope the MRI is good news and gives the docs the info they need. I must say, though, that except for the cast, you are looking pretty gorgeous these days!

I have read everyone's notes and enjoyed all the pictures. It will be fun when 'little' Ivy is the big sister!

Despite the fact that it is only 7:23, I am going to get ready for bed. How pathetic is that! In the olden days, I would settle in with a glass of something red. Ah well. I'm a big fan of grape juice these days and that is fine. :)

Waving and wishing all the wee ones, four-footed ones, and all of you sweet dreams and a happy Labor Day. I think of you all more often than you imagine and always with a smile!

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Names have reached the silly stage: Cyrano, Hawk, etc

Ivy is the real surprise for me. Photos simply do not capture this enchanting Miss. She's a busy girl, filling and emptying her purse, pouring things from one container to another repeatedly, playing with hats and shoes and all sorts of clothes. Yesterday she dressed herself in PJs with animals all over them, a Mexican dress on top of that, her red clogs and a wool hat. What a hoot! She kisses baby frequently and is very sweet and touching. My goodness how she charms us!

I've been cooking and weeding and pruning and planting. Moved hostas, planted dwarf iris, variegated iris too. Removed some other things. Tomorrow I may remove poppies and daisies that are everywhere.

We are planning a Reed walk for Wednesday.

My brother is not in hospital now, but returns Thursday for more testing. They allow him to drive. He hoped to attend meeting today. (Quaker Friends Meeting)

I'm keeping up with your news Woody. Honestly....I'm so sorry. I agree that's a super photo of you...except for the cast....

I'm mighty tired as well Cyn. Only 8pm, but...

'bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hola, a pleasant good evening to all. DS and I have returned from the theater , "Rent" at a repertory theater in Healdsburg ( some of you will recall the macaroni and cheese at the HB bar and grill) and boy was that town hopping this afternoon. I was luck to find a parking place. "Rent" is a family favorite , and a pretty good cast all in all for this one.

Well Chelone I hesitate to make any comments re: your various plant dilemmas as my zone is pretty irrelevant to your situation however, that blue rug juniper would be lovely cascading over one of your rock wall areas. It sure would be a b*#*h to move though . And I seem to recall a fabulous Clethera in Sues garden , that Cindy and I oood and awed over. But I think it was in a partial shade location ? My usual directionals are off for Sues, but it was on the side of her house opposite the driveway.

Ooh Cyn, 4th graders seem more challenging than 2nd graders to me ..do you like this switch ?

Alright, see yall tomorrow, Im going to get in one last WALAT before its too dark to see.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    13 years ago

Between the two of us we've moved nearly 6 cubic yards of topsoil in just about one week. We spent the morning contouring the "volcanoes", using a second load of 3 cu.yds.. It looks pretty good. The plan is to turn in a lot of organic matter as we add shrubs. My wish list for fall planting:
    1.) 2 more Viburnum rhytidophylloides (I forgot the y above). The foliage is handsome and they get big, will hit 10x10 with time. I have gained clearance from the tower to "mass". ;)
    2.) The helpmeet wants to add Viburnum carlesii, too. We tried one last year that didn't survive the winter, but I think with the work out there we'll give it another shot.
    3.) After spaces are allotted to the Viburums I will reassess relocating the Junipers. I would like to use the Blue Rug to anchor the sunny, roadside slope of the berm and help secure the soil. It would be attractive to cyclists and walkers and with time will widen and become "winter interest mulch".
    4.) I would like to tuck some larger scale, no-nonsense perennials in and round the new shrubs, too, along with some bulbs. But I've promised myself to focus on the shrubs for the next few weeks.

Inevitably, whenever there is gardening or landscaping here there is a bountiful harvest of rocks. I had them stockpiled near the Picea omorika. We moved them into the woods this morning, using them to bridge an ankle wrenching "cross over" of a very mucky area in the wooded area to the south of the house (the Fairy Forest). We placed the biggest ones first, then used the potato sized ones to fill in and then topped it all with 3/4" stones. We now have a dry, reasonably level "bridge" on our path through the Fairy Forest. This has been a longed for project for the helpmeet, so we started making his dream come true today. ;) (leverage for fence completion? hmmm).

Been reading of Kathy's theatre visits. We enjoyed "Spamalot" very much, howling at the marvelous dialogue of the French Taunter. The shameless use of Anglo-French antipathy is absolutely priceless.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hot today, but I guess its supposed to be hot on Labor Day, right ? Unfortunately this also is the peak day for this dratted cold that showed up last week. At least I hope its the peak day. Glad it was this weekend and not next when I visit the coast, hard to drive windey roads and blow ones nose at the same time.

bug, Im not voting yes on either Cyrano or Hawk ! And are we not to have photo ? I smiled at your description of the industrious Ms Ivy . her ability to occupy herself is probably a great benefit to DD and DS as they occupy themselves with the new member of the family ..Mr X !

And speaking of industrious, what a flurry of activity at the Compound and there seems to be some compromise going on as well-

All for now

Kathy in Napa

13 years ago

$@#!! I was hoping to get promoted to a 'boot' brace today and be allowed to start walking on it. No such luck :-(
    {{gwi:49177}}

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Ah yes, but purple suits you, Woody!

It's been quiet on Idyll, as it's been quiet here on the homefront. The kids are back to school and my neighbor and I have a full plate for the month of September: a couple of garden installations as well as Fall planting at her place.

I'm thinking of a surprise party for my husband who just turned 40. I wonder if I can pull it off? I'll need the aid of his friends to wisk him away and keep him preoccupied. We'll see.

Thinking of you, GB...

Saucy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Almost 8PM here. It's been a busy day with me grocery shopping and cooking. (Moroccan Soup) I accompanied DD who went to the chiropractor's to get her guts shifted into place and will go again on Thursday.
    Baby is still not telling his parents his name....and Ivy is continuing to delight. DH took her to the park where she rolled in the sand and enjoyed the swings.
    Tomorrow we get to see Skyler for the first time this trip. We plan on a short Reed walk followed by dinner out and then we must return him to his Mom's place. Cool and sunny here, very pleasant.

I'll only be able to post photos once I return, so keep yours flowing while I'm away!(Ahem....that's you too Chelone.)

Thinking of you too Saucy, and Woody and Cyn and many others too. Where are Mary, V, Eden, Ei, Marian, Marty and others? We need a catch up from Sue every 3 months or so too!

Ciao for now,
    bug

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol, bug, we FBers can try to nag Sue about an update, we see her every day ! But no sign of Mary anywhere .

I went to the eye doc today, as Ive had my current glasses since 2005 , a record for me , I think the longest Ive ever gone is 3 years. Im squinting like mad .

Saucy, I hope your DD is not secretly reading the Idylls and therefore tipped off about the surprise B-day party ! Got your e-mail today-no worries, I was thinking I had some browser-blocking issues , but sounds like all is well on my end.

Woody, you do look color coordinated with the purple top, purple cast, and a bit of purple in the skirt ? Bummer that you didnt get a hall pass. Next time ?

All for me, still under the weather and need to get extra sleep tonight.

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

The annual family camping weekend went well. Kenzie was able to join us this year and had a fabulous time with her cousins who are really her mom's cousins. I have nieces and nephews who are any where from 3 to 9 years older than Kenzie. We hiked in the woods. We have a contest boys vs. girls to see who can spot the most interesting things. The tiny chapel in the woods is always fun to "find" along with the bridge. It was a bit cool here so the beach wasn't as appealing, but we went twice since you just have to go when camping.

I returned to work to find 3 others out of the office this week. Which makes catching up twice as hard.

The new desk is taking some getting used to. I cant find a thing. We are so busy and with my two recent vacations I havent had time to properly move, so theres lots left in the old one and I just traipse over there to get things which makes me hugely inefficient.

Woody, I'm so sorry to hear of all your health issues along with your foot problem. I can see your concern about the time of inactivity being a further detriment.

Saucy, we just had a surprise 75th birthday party for my dad during our camping weekend. My out of state siblings are never usually around for the birthday but this year we did it over Labor day so this was the year to surprise him. He never had a clue.

Chelone, your rock bridge sounds like something that we have across the creek. Rick used rocks that he has picked up from the fields and has added to it for a couple of
    years.

Norma, the picture from your garden looks anything but scruffy. I found a tiny little nest in a rose bush that has an egg in it that never hatched. It is made from very fine materials.

Kathy, Im envious of your trip to Digging Dog.

I suppose 'bug has flown off to meet the new little lad. I'm happy for them all.

I just got off the phone with my son who tried to remove 3 of his fingers without success. He ended up with 21 stitches. Phone calls from him are always filled with lots of interesting happenings. His significant other landed a job at a Dallas TV station which is a huge relief.

School has started for McKenzie with today being day #4. She is enjoying it.

There is much more I could comment on but I must get to bed. I'm a little behind on sleep these days.

I'll leave you with a few shots from the garden.

Caryoptris 'Summer Sorbet' just getting started.

{{gwi:176768}}

Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy'
    {{gwi:176770}}

Lots of these little guys around these days
    {{gwi:176772}}

My little nest
    {{gwi:176774}}

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Greetings, folks -- coming out of hibernation mode, I think; altho the garden may be going into that permanentaly this year.... the best weekend weather we had and no time to do a lick of gardening - blech. I did manage to lug hoses around and tempt to keep things from dying off - but Stella is not much enamoured of really wet, soggy grass - it's funny to watch her tiptoe on the brick garden edges to get around. Then she decides to plunge headfirst into the beds themselves - discovering shortcuts here and there. She is also in love with a carex variegata and leaps into and out of it and sniffs all around continually - I guess we've had some other garden visitor there. Luckily, she is not the size of Cynthia's "pups" and does not seem inclined to make shrubs disappear (yet)....

Michelle -- you were away a week or more and your plants blooming are still amazing. That Cherry Brandy rudbeckia is so much prettier than the 3 plants I got - they all seem to have adapted to a mud/brick tan look - dont know what the issue is.... very disappointing. I know I saw them in person at WFF and was entranced. I really should think about getting the Cary. summer sorbet instead of the others I've got - altho they all seem to be fairly short-lived in my borders. I end up pulling them after 4 or so years as they just getty woody and frail.

'bug -- those names seem indicative of a proboscis issue, LOL. I hope Baby decides he has a better idea of a forever name he can grow into.

Norma - I finally got to see your photo of the autumn clematis in bloom and wow, your vignette is just lovely! I wish I had a spot like that in my garden.

Lots going on at the compound -- you're making great headway it sounds like, Chelone. Yes, I do plan to take Stella to puppy class altho not for several months (6 months is usually minimum recommended age; and this time I need to find one that is a bit more geared towards her size; I contend Chloe was scarred by the humongous animals in her class -- she was about the only one under 3 feet tall and it was pretty hairy....). Yes, Kathy, I did take out a second mortgage to have a daily mid-day walker for Stella (just kidding, but I probably need to do to cover the bills - or take up the lottery).

Saucy -- I am glad to hear you're enjoying your new quiet time altho I understand Cynthia's not feeling the same way -- geez, talk about disorganized - moving you the day of from 2nd to 4th grades -- shaking my head. It just gets worse and worse everywhere we go these days.

I have to find my camera to take just a few shots that seem decent and are enjoying the cooler weather - the Honorine Jobert anemones are showing off now and it's so refreshing. Maybe time this weekend - taking Friday off to help w/ more packing at DD's place - the big move is this weekend and then they can sigh a big sigh.....me too!

--Cindy

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Checking in. I've done 4 loads of wash, am drying the 4th. Made 3 different lunches for three people...
    DSIL is at work, which is a smart move so that he can get time off after we leave. DD has some serious pain and infection, so is miserable and useless. I guess she will not be on our walk this evening...or there may be a change of plans.
    DH got a haircut and so is ready for his return to school and meetings starting Sunday.
    Ivy charms and charms us.
    Cindy, your help with the move will be appreciated I'm sure. Then, just your own chaos to deal with. ;)
    I need a nap...
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

A quick message to say that while activity continues here on the Compound it's mostly "nuts and bolts" stuff that doesn't photograph well and doesn't "feel" like anything substanitive (even though it is taken in the "long view"). Right now it feels pretty much like a "whole lotta nuthin'".

So it's nice to read that Ivy charms daily and that families pull together to get to a better place. (I pretty much do the same thing, you know... moving accumulated crap from one place to another, lol; clearly Ivy is more evolved than I since 50 yrs. later I'm still doing the same thing, lol). If we don't pull together to make things better for those we love, what good are we in the big picture?

My thoughts echo Cindy's about the foolishness of switching Cyn. from grade 2 to grade 4 with one day's notice... . Who are the jackasses runnin' the show? maybe we need fewer jackasses and their collective salaries could be divied up between those "in the trenches" (or to buy toilet paper and cleaning supplies)? Dunno, but that sort of abject stupidity would result in an immediate job loss in my trade (and good luck finding another position). Pisses me off that tax dollars from hard-workin' slobs like me perpetuate that foolishness. :)

I have to take the brindle fool outdoors. I hate dogs.

13 years ago

Saucy - yes, I was feeling kinda purple yesterday... :-)

Michelle - Post a picture of the caryopteris in full bloom please... I love them, but it's one of those plants that refuses to grow for
    me :-( A neighbour has a fabulous one that is in full bloom now. She has given me seedlings several times and I have bought different varieties over the years - they all die out promptly!

Chelone - we definitely need a picture or two....

GB - pain and infection doesn't sound good! I hope she gets better ASAP!

• chelone
    13 years ago

We had a close encounter of the black and white kind this morning. It's basically dark at 5:15 now, the time I take the huge one outdoors for his first wee-wee of the day. Last night the helpmeet noted a very robust skunk vacuuming up dropped birdseed while he was on safari for the cats. It crossed my mind this morning when Wrecks was very interested in going outdoors, but I basically "blew it off". Shouldn't have. We'd circled the Fertile Cresent and had headed across the little bridge to BIL's yard when he picked up the scent and took off toward the compost pile. I saw the white tail beacon, lol, and it was coming toward me. I authoritatively commanded, "NO! LEAVE IT!". He did, but not before skunkie left a gentle, atomized puff of stink as a "shot across the bow wow".

Some gentle spritzes with the skunk neutralizing solution was all we could do. The dog doesn't stink much, but there is a lingering odor in the house. Not bad... but a reminder that Mr. Leash will become our companion in the morning for a some time to come... that is, IF we can find him. Helpmeet managed to "lose" it somewhere on the Compound some weeks ago. 6' leather leashes command the best part of $45 in our neck of the woods... this is our third to "go missing" and I'm thoroughly irritated by it, too.

Woody, how long do you have to wear the cast? :( But you look terrific in purple.

13 years ago

Chelone - we go back to the fracture clinic on the 21st. They'll remove the cast then and assess whether I can move to the 'boot' support or not. It was still quite substantially swollen and very colorful on Monday. It's feeling marginally better so I hope it will be OK by the 21st. I'm thoroughly sick of the limitations!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure is quiet around here this week ! Im spending my evening watering and packing for my road trip that commences after the awfice tomorrow (it will be an early exit too) but none of it is too frantic-I opened the road trip staging area a few days ago , and Im only gone for the weekend. And the weather ! Usually this time of year Id be watering like mad even for such a brief trip, but its pretty much just the containers, everything else will wait till Sunday. There will be morning fog and afternoon sun at the coast-which is ok, Im hoping for a bit of overcast at Digging Dog for better photos.

Aw shucks Chelone, those black and white encounters are no fun. I had a friend back in the 70s in Arizona who had a pet skunk, named Hepzeba. She had been de-skunked , and was extremely cute and friendly. There were many pranks played on unsuspecting visitors. Tell helpmeet to drape the damn leash around his neck..it will also be convenient if he requires restraining, lol.

Dont you just love that Summer Sorbet Michelle ? This is my first year and I think Im going to get another one, it has looked great all summer, and the blooms are just a bonus. I have Worster Gold too, but though it grows well, there are lots of crispy brown leaves and areas of reversion. I remember that Cherry Brandy at WFF too, I think Cindy and I must have been standing together , it seems like we took some similar photos. ..hopefully your disappointing result is weather related Cindy! I have it on my list for the purple and red borderI was on the lookout all summer for Coconut Lime , and finally there it was at Portland Nursery when I was there a couple weeks ago..but it was 20 bucks for a gallon plant ! And you have to get at least 3 , so I tabled that not going to fork out 60 bucks for 3 frikken Echinaceas! Im going to ask my garden center ladies to find them for me, the employee discount will be helpful in this instance.

Free Woody !

Will check in tomorrow from the coast, night all !

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

LOL , Free Woody! Kathy.

Another rainy day here, I'm still trying to trick myself into cleaning house. Blech!

Just put a frog back in the pond that Niki brought up on the back porch.

Grocery shopped this morning so I would have kid friendly food in case Wyatt and Jacob come over this weekend. We haven't seen much of Jake since he had a summer job and is now back in school.

We've been experiencing mechanical problems here. First the pickup which is pretty well shot, and then the lawn tractor which is 25 years old. It's always something.

DH grilled chicken breast for lunch and they are ready and so am I.

Later. N

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Busy admiring Ivy's accomplishments, though she should be napping. I think I caught a few pictures to share next week. I know Chelone can hardly wait!

Good to see you popping in Norma!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

We're just back from the visitation for my aunt. My uncle died just 4 months ago. She found out that she had cancer 2 weeks after he died.

I don't believe I mentioned that the nursery in the town near where we camped last weekend had 40% off their perennials. I gave in and got echinachia 'Hot Papaya' along with a few other things. I got them in the ground and we've had 2" of rain since. So its been cool and rainy here lately.

Tomorrow I need to paint our living room and get the furniture back in place since we are having guests on Sunday. All the wall repair has been done along with the priming. I will need to go to town for paint in the a.m. as well as food for the guests. I'm planning a nacho bar.

Chelone, it sounds like you are getting lots accomplished. Maybe next year can be the "fun" year.

I'm looking forward to pictures of the new baby, Ivy and Skylar. I hope Nana is having a great time.

Norma, I got a chuckle out of "kid friendly food"

Michelle

• chelone
    13 years ago

I am back from an early AM cruise to a norther nursery. I have struck out completely locating 2 more Viburnum rhytidophylloides... if I want them it will be next year and they will be in 5-ish gallon pots. So not so large or so well established.

BUT, I discovered a cache of field grown Viburnum lantana "Mohican" (they are b&b plants). The foliage is not a perfect match, but the deep green and deeply veined leaves are of similar size and character, though not quite so leathery. The plants are robust and at nearly 4' already they are clearly waiting to "take off". I'm thrilled, they are superb screen plants that will attain 8-10' with ease and should be perfect for the site and purpose. I spoke with the nursery owner and he loves them... one reason he has undertaken growing them himself instead of just buying in commercial nursery stock. Now, if the helpmeet were only home to help me plant it right away... (he's sailing). :)

As for baby pictures... I suppose I'll have to "suck it up", but I certainly hope you'll exercise a modicum of control, 'bug. I hope the infection is on the run and DD is perking up at this happy time.

It's a beautiful day and since I don't have anything of great import or insight to share I'd best get out and shove the mower around for awhile.

Woody, I'm sorry you have to be rolled around; gotta be a real "downer" for you. But just keep thinking how great it will be to upgraded to the boot. Hang tough.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Whew. Made it through the first week and now it is Satuday. Yippee.

Chelone-too funny that you mentioned toilet paper and cleaning supplies. The teacher bathroom on our hall was out of tp for two days (thanks goodness for a forgotten tissue in my pocket-heehee) and now we are out of soap at the sink. It boggles the mind-our custodians won some award over the summer. I am actually liking 4th grade and my case load is way easier than it would have beem in 2nd grade this year. Helps that I know these kiddoes from when I had them two years ago. Still, education is getting a little bit old-switching back to traditional calendar left all of us without a paycheck this month and our salaries are frozen for the second year. I am feeling quite broke at the moment, so I can't imagine what the young teachers with fewer resources are feeling! Hope the Eau de Skunk fades quickly and that you find the leash so it does not become a regular aroma around the compound-although maybe we can eventually get used to anything, you don't want to go there, I imagine.

Cindy, I am so enjoying the mental images of Stella in the garden. I imagine you wouldn't want to trade, huh? It's a good deal-two for one special!

Michelle, I am envious of your sale purchases AND your rain. Come October 1, I will hit the nurseries to see if anything is left. What color are you painting your living room?

'bug, sorry to hear DD is feeling so bad. Hope the infection is under control and pain gone by now.

Woody, yes, I agree the purple is SO much better, but wish you didn't have to deal with one at all.

Norma, speaking of "kid-friendly" food-to add insult to injury, our school cafeterias no longer offer chocolate milk! What is up with that?! It was one of the treats I looked forward to when I didn't bring lunch. Oh well. Hope Jake and Wyatt make it over this weekend.

Saucy, I think a surprise party sounds like fun. I bet you can pull it off.

Like 'bug, hoping all is well with our absent Idyllers and that they check back in here soon. I imagine Brenda is busy leaping out of airplanes. Oh, and 'bug, whatever you do, do NOT pass on Chelone's name suggestions for the wee one! ;)

• chelone
    13 years ago

How nice that you know the kids from a couple of years ago, Cyn.. I hadn't considered that might be a positive thing in the "big picture". Make the very best of it (know you will), this may just prove to be a pivotal year for some of the little brats. :)

The lawns are finished, with the exception of the Fertile Cresent, which has been ravaged by pick up trucks and machinery with tracks recently and deserves a break. The Viburnum is out of my car and rests in stately repose in the shade of the bahn. I will procure another one tomorrow and we will plant them on Monday. I have a couple of little things I very much want to accomplish sooner rather than later:
    1.) Finish the ring around Magnolia "Butterflies", add a layer of compost, some newspaper, and a topping of mulch. I don't particularly like that "look", but it's the quickest way to ensure regular feedings and it makes mowing and trimming easier.
    2.) Clean up along the edge of the pond. We have decided to bring the lawn right down to the edge of the pond. It will be easier to keep neat since canine visitors always bomb through whatever is planted there to get in the water. KISS (keep it simple stupid). I hate dogs.

I keep seeing teeny weeny dogs these days. Reminds me of Cindy, Chloe, and now Stella. there are two kinds of little dogs... the kind I hate and the kind I hate less. ;)We gave Rex a spritzing of the anti-skunk stuff the day it happened and then kept giving him the "sniff test" to zero in on the remaining stink. His undercarriage was given another "z-bart" treatment today. Along with the rug in front of the woodstove and the foam from his bed. His bedding went through the washing machine. This encounter was nowhere near as bogus as the last one.

I have to say I am totally cool with the indigenous wildlife. Doesn't bother me that skunks and racoon have us on their nightly rounds. In fact, I kind of like knowing that the night shift is on duty. I figure as long as we're reasonably careful with trash they pose no great threat. Rex and Mr. Skunkie was entirely my own fault. I knew there had been a skunk siting and I didn't think he'd still be farting around the yard 8 hrs. later. NO sign of Mr. Leash, so the helpmeet needs to go shopping. I'll repeat your suggestion, Kathy.

What is kid-friendly food, Norma? crustless Fluffernutters? (mmmm). I recall that fresh fruit was a big part of immediately available snack food when I was Jake and Wyatt's age. So was Junket... anyone remember that? I would never have permitted milk to pass my lips if it hadn't been chocolate (or Strawberry Quik); to this day a glass of plain milks makes me want to gag, isn't that funny? My Thermos always had chocolate milk, apple or pineapple juice in it.

William, Philip, Stephen, Robert...

...Cecil, Ruprecht, Clyde

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Kid friendly food here is a cereal they like. Cheerios work. Pleanty of milk. Cheese slices for Wyatt. He is a cheese head. I usually like to have ice cream and cookies for a evening snack.
    Jake did come over without Wyatt. Drove himself in his truck. I think he was ready for some time to himself for a change. I am thankful that at almost seventeen he still wants to come to Mimi and Papas for a weekend. We went out to Pasta House for supper. Yumm, haven't had that for awhile.

I finally got the house cleaned. Well mostly anyway. Still have some dusting to do in my room.

More rain overnight. Things are really wet now so I hope to get some weeds pulled and my hostas planted soon.

Michelle, sorry to hear about your Aunt and Uncle passing. I think it happens a lot that once one goes the remaining one doesn't last long.

Chelone, I like the KISS acronym(sp?). Glad you found some suitable viburnums. Clean edge on the pond sounds ok.

Niki brought two frogs this morning. I thought they were both fine when I put them back but noticed one was injured on it's belly. He swam off though. I will have to keep an eye out to see if he made it. She doesn't want to kill them. Just likes to play with them.

Cyn I know they are trying for better food choices for kids at school but I don't see anything wrong with chocolate milk.

Cindy, Is the new house any closer to you or further away?

Bug, I hope DD is getting better. She is going to really have her hands full with two little ones. My two oldest were only eleven months apart. At least Ivy is good at entertaining herself.

Hope Kathy is enjoying her weekend trip.

N

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hola idylls !

Checking in here, while I watch the fog roll in from the Pacific. Had an awesome time at Digging Dog today, but the photos were crapola, I went at 2pm, bad time for pics.

Here is my view this evening {{gwi:176775}}From 2010-09-11

I hope to go out with my camera in the AM ...

Kathy in Mendo

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Quickly..Kid friendly food for Skyler is Edam cheese, hash browns...but most of all, Ethiopean food! That is what we had to celebrate Reed's day last week.Chelone, Clyde was DH's uncle, a name that DD strongly favors...but not DSIL. I believe that names are being narrowed down. Today we go to Skyler's camp reunion. He is thrilled. It has been a very hard week for all of us with dealings with his mother.DH is back at the farm and off to meetings and the start of school. Iwill fly home on Thursday.later,'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Kathy, that is a gorgeous view. Even with the fog.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Back home tonight, working on mental re-alignment. Hard to move from the coast to the awfice !

Here are a few photos from the trip.

{{gwi:176777}}From Mendocinio Sept 2010

Borders at Digging Dog {{gwi:176780}}From Mendocinio Sept 2010
    {{gwi:176782}}From Mendocinio Sept 2010

{{gwi:176784}}From Mendocinio Sept 2010

Street scenes in the village {{gwi:176786}}From Mendocinio Sept 2010
    {{gwi:176788}}From Mendocinio Sept 2010
    {{gwi:176790}}From Mendocinio Sept 2010
    {{gwi:176791}}From Mendocinio Sept 2010

Night all...Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    13 years ago

What a nice treat to enjoy with my morning coffee. I love the way the mist rolls in along the coastal areas. We get a lot of that here, too. I was particularly taken by the fun use of color on the window casings and the trim of the pharmacy building, works nicely with the plantings.

I have the Wrecking Crew until Wednesday sometime. The cats were naturally horrified and steadfastly refused to come indoors for a long time. Vera was the last hold out but finally caved and cried at the bedroom window about 1 AM. Upon gaining entry she promptly wormed her way under the covers and curled up by my ankles. Spencer was in by 9 and spent the night in his usual location, right up next to my head. Not sure about Polly, but she brooks no foolishness with dogs of any kind in her home. A nocturnal yelp offered audible confirmation of a dispute in the dark hours... ;) They seem to have forgotten proper door etiquette and a stern, "NO, wait" combined with a check and a collar grab has been necessary a few times. There is nothing worse than large dogs chargeing by you to get outside. Meanwhile Wrecks just patiently waits and looks at me to see if it's OK to proceed.

Today is planting day. We are going to put in the 2 Virburms I bought this weekend. The Picea omorika will be transplanted in early spring, just as it's emerging from dormancy, but I will clear and clean up the area this fall. And then our attention will be turned to the small planting area along the eastern side of the bahn.

Time for more coffee right now, though. "Family names" are wonderful, but I'm not sure I'd saddle a child with Clyde, personally, perhaps for a middle name. Even though I've known 2 of them, both charming men.

... Hollingsworth, Phineas, Delmore...

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Hello friends!

I'm reading along and enjoying all the baby chatter and news going on in Idyll. The weather here has finally changed back to a New England weather, and it is quite enjoyable. We've begun to plant the perennials that won't sell this year and prepare the beds for winter.

I'm enjoying this Spanish Flag vine, a first for me this year:

{{gwi:176792}}

13 years ago

Big garden activity here yesterday was removing seed capsules from the hardy hibiscuses. Randy wheeled me up close to the one along the driveway and then up to the one at the south edge of the main front bed. He did the inaccessible side and ones deeper into the beds. It was disappointing to see that the two 'Crimson Wonder' I bought earlier this summer are pink, not crimson :-( It was nice to actually do a bit of gardening! But, oh, the weeding that needs doing....!

• chelone
    13 years ago

Woody, you were in my thoughts as the Wrecking Crew wrestled a path through the Hydrangeas. There were also a few occasions where they were distinctly "underfoot" and yelped when they were stepped on. They quickly realized that insinuating themselves on the humans was not a quarantee of the sort of physical contact they were seeeking. :) But mostly, I was reminded of the rule that the plants should grow into the site over time. I may have pushed the spacing a bit, but the fact that I can still see plenty of road tells me the shrubs have lots of room to grow and attain a pleasing mature shape. I have moved some ground cover things, too; including the "Blue Rug" juniper, and two Archtostyphylos ursa, all of which were languishing in too much shade. I'll bet you have the best lookin' hardy Hibiscus in Ontario. :)

The Viburnums are in the ground and while the immediate tableau is dischordant because the Picea will remain "in the way" until springtime, the long view should be quite nice. Mellowing, softening, and providing ever more screening in the years to come. And I believe I have finally "found a place" for the (so far) unappreciated "Yellow Ribbon", an arborvitae-looking rig that is growing beautifully and is clearly a very robust plant that has earned its stripes and deserves better placement. It will likely take the spot presently occupied by the Picea, in between the two new Viburnums. It will be a really big step for me... that "gold"/yellow tipped foliage is not a favorite of mine. "Summer Sorbet" Caryopteris leaves me cold, you guys. (Sorry, Michelle).

Next up will be bulbs, some "important" perennial bastions, then the "frosting": compost, sodden newspaper, and mulch/kitty litter.

• jak1
    13 years ago

Hello Idyllers! You have not been Idle!

I had to scroll through this whole thread to see when I posted last; great reading about all of the fall preparations. I note that Deanne has not yet started the annual fall relocation yet; Saucy, how do you manage to keep a Banana in the bathroom?? Your bathroom must be humungous! I have moved mine into the living room beside a floor-to-ceiling window where I hope to keep it happy. Unfortunately my two banana foster poarents have reneged now that they see how big the plants get. What am I going to do with three banana plants in the house???? Deanne mine are plain green Banana Ensete. I bought the seed from Vesey's and planted them March 13. The biggest one is almost as tall as I am now, and wider that I am *LOL*

Norma, I envy you the Sweet Autumn clem. Mine died of unknown causes last year and I miss it. Yours is just gorgeous!

Bug, I guess you will be home again soon. I hope Sarah is better, Skyler is enjoying school, same for your DH, DSL is weathering the ex-storm, Ivy is wonderful, and I must say that "Hawk" is kinda growing on me.....Any more news on your brother? Do you ever get to rest?

Kathy you have really been on the move. The photos are beautiful; good for you to just pack up and go and have a great time, although I know that it isn't always just a breeze! Did you de-cement?

Saucy and Michelle, I have been busy casting leaves too. I like the zucchini and hollyhock ones the best, byt the leaves are fragile and don't peel off the concrete easily. Keeps me occupied picking all the green off. Next comes attempts to paint. Maybe I'll ship them all to Deanne to keep her busy all winter....

Wow, Chelone, you and "Mr. Greenjeans" have been really productive. I can picture that area and I bet it is looking really attractive, not just from your side, but also from the road. Big job, and, as you say, the biggest part is sub-structure that doesn't "show" but allows the dressing and frosting. Great metaphor. Reminds me, how is Bruce? And I recall that you bought him a super-cool buddy not long ago.

Kid friendly food here is Ceasar Salad, devilled eggs, pizza, yougurt, raw veggies, and Adrian is another cheese head.

Cyn, we did decide to change schools this year, and so far we like what we see. Lots of thought went into the decision, but a fresh start seemed to be appropriate. Every morning I tell him: Good manners, cooperation, participation, good work. I point out to him at home when he exhibits these things, and he is trying harder to manage school. Meeting with the teacher and the special ed. teacher this week to get things started off on the right track. He is in grade 4.

Just starting to get into the EAT program (Eliminate Annoying Things) and the first thing to go is this crappy hair cut. What is so hard to understand about "short on the sides, back and front, longish on the top"?? Julie jobs will soon begin in earnest. First of those will be Removing Fingerprints.

Cheers to all, and waves to those I have missed.

Julie

• chelone
    13 years ago

We had a bit of a scare this morning when the Wrecking Crew "went missing". We called and called, nothing... so, I did the rounds of local business, construction sites, called the cops north and south, etc.. Nothing. The helpmeet is out bushwacking the wild hinterland behind the Compound sporting his blaze orange safety vest (bow hunting season). Guess who was trapped in the board room all morning??? yup, the Wrecking Crew. How they managed to get inside the house I have no idea... but how dumb were we to not thoroughly scour the house for canines, lol. What a couple of dopes, lol. :)

We've begun thinning out the understory to the south of the Compound. There are a lot of small white pines that have grown up over the years and now they've attained a size that requires thinning. I've marked those with poor shape and they'll be the first to go. Once they've been thinned we'll be able to stand back and determine the next round of culling. Lots of oak saplings have met their maker, too.

Interestingly, I've lost 2 Sweet Autumn clematis over the years. They were planted in a raised site with a north/easterly exposure and I suspect they succumbed to cold in winters that offered little in the way of snow cover. I was bummed right out, they are lovely plants. I should try them again, but in a more protected location.

OK, I have to get to the library to pick up a book and I hope the helpmeet gets home soon... the sight of those dogs will lift his spirits nicely. He'll get a good laugh out of the fact that they were right here all along.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Just a quick note before I get back to work. It seems like I've had no time for posting lately.

Kathy, what fabulous color in all your pictures. You've captured it all so beautifully.

Julie, spray your leaf with cooking spray before applying the concrete.

Later girls
    Michelle

• saucydog
    13 years ago

Everyone is so quiet :)

Nothing much going on here. Tomorrow is the Farmer's Market, and I heard mention that we may not finish out October...that would leave me just a few more weeks working there. That would be nice because it gets cold just standing outside all day (if the weather is cool) and it's hard to get warmed up when you come in at night.

I have been motivated to put summery things away and try to organize some things that have been bothering me. It looks like we're going to finally have a concrete floor poured in the basement (we currently have a dirt floor) and I am worried about when my plants will need to come in.

Hopefully you're all just busy doing Fall things, too.

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

It certainly is quiet here. What have I been busy with? Well, I agreed to chair the committee that organizes our Bible study, which is 25-30 women. You pick out the material, decide on dates and of course there's a lunch schedule. I'm also teaching preschool Sunday School which began last Sunday. Work is absolutely wild. I believe we've narrowed down the applicants to one. Hopefully, she still wants the job and can start soon. My big project these days is working towards becoming a competitive telephone carrier in the towns that we offer cable and internet in. You wouldn't believe the red tape along with billing, networking and product offering issues involved. In the garden I finally got the pots moved back to their spots after nearly a month grouped around the sprinkler during our vacation and family camping trip. Last night there was rain along with fierce winds and many were tipped over. Even some that are quite large. I spent the evening in the vegetable garden. I was able to glean enough purple beans for dinner. I also made a guacamole salad with cherry tomatoes, yellow, red and lime peppers, cilantro and chives from the garden. Add to that jalapeno, garlic, onion, black olives, black beans, avocado and a lime vinaigrette - Yum!

The living room is painted and the woodwork washed. Most of the furniture is back in. I do have to put things back in the curio, but it needs cleaning first. What a great project to get done. I'm sure there are lots of projects left to keep me busy all winter.

I did pick up some bulbs locally. I would still like to get an order together.

I've never tried a Sweet Autumn clematis but really should. Remind me next year to keep my eye out for those sneaky morning glory vines. I have a fairly long tall fence that I planted morning glories on many years ago. I was unhappy with them. I decided roses and clematis were the things to plant next. It now sports 2 New Dawn roses and several clematis that in the last couple of years have gotten clematis wilt. In the spring I'm very diligent about pulling the morning glory seedlings, but it seems like when I go on vacation they grow 8' tall. Of course with the New Dawns in there its hard to pull them out and I get a hold of the clematis as well. I'm planning on different clems there. In fact I have a nice Jackmani that I would like to move there.

Saucy, I grew the spanish flag on my potager arbor last summer. I really enjoyed the colors. I tried a different annual vine this year. I think it was Painted lady bean vine.

Kathy, those are some gorgeous gardens and scenery you saw on your trip. The colors are just fantastic. Of course I love chartreuse.

In fact I painted one of my leaves chartreuse. Chelone, I take no offense at your dislike of my caryoptris, but I think its just beautiful!

That's probably enough rambling from me.

Michelle

• jak1
    13 years ago

Heeeeyyy! I get to "wrap it up".

Thanks for the cooking spray idea Michelle; I never would have thought. I'll probably take one last kick at leaf casts tomorrow and will then have lots to do all winter.

The bad hair is gone and so are the fingerprints. Today's JJob is the under the counter cupboard in the main bathroom. Mostly full of outgrown bath toys...

Had a hard time getting DGS out of bed this morning, he drank his shake too fast and his stomach hurt, he whined and fussed and finally I told him to go back to bed if he was ill, but that is where he would have to stay. He miraculously recovered after the school bus was gone, so, in my campaign for the title of meanest Granny, I walked him to school - forty minutes through the entire downtown. I need notes from Littlegardenbug on tactics for handling a difficult child....

Speaking of, GB might be home today and we could see some Hawk pictures!

My main chore today is bringing in plants. A few are so large that DH will be spending the day making trolleys. Our weather is crummy so outdoor chores that need to be done will have to wait a bit.

Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall.

Cheers,

Julie