Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A gardening vacation

Posted by michelle_zone4 zone 4 NW IA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 23:04

These first photos are from the Shops of the Green Gables near Ephriam in Door County WI. They had some fabulous gardens around them. Not your usual business landscaping. Here he has 2 weeping evergreens trained over a large arbor. I just loved this.

The parking lot. Notice the flower boxes on top of the fence.

These next shots are from the Green Bay Botanical Garden.

This was the English cottage garden - my favorite:

This was so cool - it was a giant kalidescope:

I put my camera up to the lens and took this picture. You could turn the lens just like on a kalidescope.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A gardening vacation

Michelle -- What finds along the road!! I, too, love the weeping evergreens and am considering this for our entrance arch. Not hard to do at all, I am told,as long as there is a really strong base to start.

Also am enamoured with knot-type gardens.

Thanks for a great way to start the day!

Martie

o

Wow Michelle, wonderful photos. I just love the arch with the evergreens also. Thanks for taking that photo of the kalidescope. That is so cool!!! I can't get over all those wonderful gardens in Door County, WI. Beautiful.

Deanne

o

What fun! I like the vine covered arbor/gate in the 4th shot. Of course the kaleidoscope is terrific too! Thanks for sharing Michelle!

o

That English Garden is soooo cool! I'd love to have a "shed" like that. Thanks for sharing, Michelle. Im going to look again on the weekend. That conifer arbor is terrific too.

--Cindy

o

So much eye candy! I am picturing the evergreen arch with snow and icicles on it. It would be so pretty. The vine covered arch is a beauty also. I love the second pic...espacially the evergreens around the birdbath. That would deter varmints that are after the birds. The flower boxes on top of the fence are great. I espacially love the kaleidoscope. I have always loved to look through them.
Thanks for the tour.

Marian

o

Michelle, how cool! You've certainly been gallavanting all over this summer to various garden attractions. The round bench, arches, fountain, kaleidascope...all great structural elements to compliment the gardens.

Sue

o

Hello all:

I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask if anyone has any ideas for what type of narrow weeping evergreen to use for an arch as in the first pic? Such a beautiful, graceful look.

TIA

o

bump

o

hey deedels..

those are conifers.. and there is a conifer forum.. you might get a conifer answer there..

ken

o

Thanks Ken, I'll check it out over there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here