Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll # 508..Cleaning Up

dodgerdudette
12 years ago

Seems to be a flurry of clean-up activities going on with my imaginary friends, September is a great month for it. Carry on Idylls...

Comments (100)

• gardenbug
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Life is entirely different with DS around. I get nothing ordinary accomplished! DH is off to meetings at the university. I'm frantic about the garden too, but will just have to take it in stride and realize that most guests will be oblivious to what disturbs me out there.

By the way Kathy, tiny Ms Zoe has a most powerful voice! She also has a respiratory illness that is controlled by the vet, but it makes her sound asthmatic. Fortunately she's a very VERY loved and happy pet!

I'm the last one ready for breakfast...so off I go.
    Ciao,
    'bug

• deanneart
    12 years ago

A quick good morning to one and all. How fun to pop in here with my morning coffee and see pics of beautiful Bengals. That Zoe is a lovely girl. Great pics of Rahjii Kathy!

Looks like some colder weather will arrive with the next front that comes through so I'm going to be busy getting cuttings in the next couple days. I've already started bringing in some of my calathea and vrieseas. Time to step up the pace with getting the very tender things in. The coleus won't root well if I wait any longer.

Chelone, that floor cloth is beautiful!!!!

Woody, that Dexter is pretty funny. Love the pic!

Kathy, did you decide to go with LightRoom?

Bug, I just love Heptacodium and want to include one here somewhere.

OK time to get my day started here. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Checking in here-I'm on the road again tomorrow and am likely only to be seen on FB. One nice thing about traveling this time of year if the lowered urgency for watering before departure. We are know to have 100 degree temps in Sept, but continued mild temps in the low 70's are predicted for the next few days, so I've watered a few containers and called it good.

Deanne, I downloaded a 30day trial of Lightroom, and also bought a set of tutorials that were highly rated. I really like it, much more powerful than what I am using now. I particularly like the lens corrections and perspective fix features-I'm notorious for taking crooked photos. Of course this has opened a new can of worms, my desktop computer is at least ten years old and I am confident that a beefy program like lightroom will bring it to it's knees, it seems futile to try to add more memory to an old clunker. So Im looking into an upgrade. Im flabbergasted at how prices have come down-its almost a no brainer

OK , waves to all back in a few..

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Home again! We spent the weekend with Rick's youngest son and family in Minneapolis MN. My pots have been gathered around the sprinkler for close to 3 weeks. Last night I started to move them out to the garden but now they are talking a low of 30 tomorrow night. I've not taken any cuttings yet either.

We checked out a nursery in the city that was quite interesting. Very creative with lots of interesting garden art and plants. I could have spent much more time there but of course the non-gardeners that I was with weren't as interested. There were fabulous plantings in the hell strip as this place was on a corner lot. I did take some pictures and will try to share some later.

The kids were happy with the free plants especially after visiting the nursery.

Again amazing work from Chelone!

'bug, Reed's garden is looking great! I like the way you have kept it small and not so many flowers but more textures.

Michelle

• jak1
    12 years ago

Good afternoon, it is Wednesday, or "hump day", when the work week is half over.

Didn't get the fertliser on as we had a dandy thunderstorm blow in. Significantly cooler here now.

Today I cut back/brought in the Amaryliss, who will now rest in the basement for a while, as will the Callas. The Mandeviila, which is huge, was debugged and brought in as well this morning. Too heavy for me to lift, it was wiggled onto an old mat and pulled in. Oh, my back!!! The orchids have also been sprayed with soap to at least control the scale that affects them occasionally. They will come in this week although they like a cold night or two to remind them to bloom.

Yesterday while watering I noticed, too late, that Ms. Chiquita (Banana Ensete) was whelping or whatever you call it and I accidentally broke off the sprout. I didn't think this kind of Banana laid pups or whatever you call them ,unless it blooms, but it is broken off now. I also didn't expect four and a half foot leaves and an eight foot plant....fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, DH loves this plant and is planning on bringing it in to spend the winter in our dining area, which we don't use as we eat in the sunroom.

I also clipped the nails of both dogs, bathed them, fed them, and threw toys for a while. I cleaned up the house, hung out laundry, and baked DH's cardboard bran muffins that he likes.

I am done!

Also a small victory: I have succeeded in convincing the school board that it makes sense to pick up the three kids in our neighbourhood at their homes instead of driving all around the whole subdivision to go past homes that no longer have any kids in them. This means, that, after six years, I will not have to walk TCS to the bus; a treat bonus as I then don't have to look presentable by eight in the morning.

Saw a beautiful Reed moon this week, and thought of Bug et al.

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Today DS and I teach at the 2 room schoolhouse across the road. We are doing a mapping activity with the grades 1-4 in the morning, and with the grades 5-8 in the afternoon.
    We also hope to set up a card exchange between this school and his Haitian school. We'll see!

• jak1
    12 years ago

Awesome!

Cheers,

Julie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

How'd the teaching session go gb?

Risk of frost in the forecast for tonight here #$@&!

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

The sessions at the Mennonite school were an amazing experience. So much was shared that I am sure would not be allowed in a regular school system. Why would anyone allow us to march in and teach a day of classes? Yet they welcomed us and we all had a wonderful time. No photographs, but perhaps I can take some of one of our projects next week. We worked with 39 students across 8 grades, with 16 local families represented. They were so kind and generous....

Tonight the men folk kindly took a load of sheets to the garden to protect what they could against the frost.

I made hot chocolate after dinner, with marshmallows, and we all rested and chatted by the fire. I received two books in the mail written by long time friends, which are their diaries over the years. I devoured her book tonight...

Tomorrow will be another busy day. Lots of Haiti work to complete, garden work to do, preparation for a large BBQ, and some translation work for a friend.

Not sure life will ever return to normal!
    'bug

12 years ago

We were lucky and the frost missed us last night - did it get you gb or wereo you lucky too?

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Lucky here too. Maybe again tonight we'll need to do the sheet covering exercise though....

• saucydog
    12 years ago

Sorry to be such an absentee Idyller. My only excuse is my chaotic life, but even in the midst of chaos, I find myself able to maintain health and happiness. That is good, I think.

I just returned from a trip to TN to visit a friend. She recently moved back to her family farm and we enjoyed some lazy days there together. Her home feels like home to me, as I have such fond memories of the time I spent there. It is a gentlemen's farm, with animals like emus, Watusi steer, goats of some sort, lots of exotic-looking chickens, and various jacks, jennets, mules, and burrows. It is always fun to visit and just walk.

Today I am painting Sarah's room. She's going from a lovely shade of lavendar to a canteloupe orange. Her comforter is sky blue with orange poppies on it, so I think this will be very cute. I am a little concerned about how it will look from the hall, but most of you will recall that Jake's room is acid green, so....

I'll leave you with a picture of an old mule. Did you know they turn white with age? They seemed surprised at his or her longevity:

{{gwi:177210}}

• chelone
    12 years ago

Only greys turn white with age, Saucy. Grey is an interesting genetic variant. It was an Italian geneticist (Federico Tesio) who first proposed that the "grey" gene was actually linked to a genetic disease; dunno about further research in that vein, but greys DO lighten with age. The famed Lippizaner stallions of the Spanish Riding School are all born nearly black (with a few bays tossed in and the bays provide interesting genetic trails!).

Exciting that the resources of Canada are brought to Haiti via the internet. I feel so isolated sometimes, and yet that's not so, really. Sometimes I think that isolation is as much of our own mindset as it is lack of "connectivity". Are the two not one and the same in some strange way?

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

54 degrees, cloudy and breezy doesn�t really make me excited about going outdoors. I should though as this is the first Saturday I�ve had in 4 weeks. Kenzie will be here next weekend. I think I will plant my Tri-color beech today.

The frost the other night was very patchy and the garden remains 99.9% in tact.

It was so cold yesterday that I stayed in and made chicken soup after work. I think next week will be a bit warmer. We are incredibly dry here though, so it wouldn�t hurt to run the sprinklers a bit.

I�ll leave you with a few shots of the entry garden which is slowly maturing. Although I plan on moving a few things out this fall. Only stellar performers may be in this garden since it is viewed by all that come up the walkway.

{{gwi:177211}}

{{gwi:177212}}

{{gwi:177213}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Michelle, a couple of questions. Your purple flowering plant, what is it? LOVELY late flowers! It looks like a sage leaf. Is the blue flowering plant on the right a gentian?

An odd question is about your roofing material. Is it new? Are you happy with it? I'm considering something similar, but they tell me that snow can slide off of this type and damage plants. (and people!) It seems there is something that can be added to prevent this. Any thoughts from your experience?

Chelone, the resources for Haiti are coming from far and wide. They are not only physical items, but vast quantities of knowledge being shared. It is an amazing age. The folks helping this particular school come from Canada, Boston, New York City, Vienna and more. Their experience has been in Mongolia, Ruwanda, Haiti, Kenya and more. Their talents are in varied fields as well. Fortunately they are used to the strange frustrations they will need to face once their feet land on the ground. Their talents should be able to help them adapt to the circumstances they find.

Saucy, we have a donkey sanctuary not far away. Donkeys live far longer than their owners expect when they give one to their child as a pet. They often live to around 75 years, and hence the need for this sanctuary. Often the donkeys are abandoned and found by others. A sad tale... This morning I saw a flock of turkeys crossing the road as i was returning from errands. Several adults and quite a few "teenagers"!

We may go for a canoe ride this afternoon. I hope there's time for a nap for me first! Lots of stress these days.
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

In for a short break. The beech is planted!

'bug, the plant is celosia Pink Parfait. That is 5-6 plants that I grew from seed. I like the tall celosias and also grow Purple Feather Purple. I usually can find that as plants. The blue is a nice large clump of Salvia Black & Blue that I've been overwintering for a few years now.

The roof is new just this summer. We had such poor luck with our last shingles that DH wanted this. It turned out much better than I expected. As for the snow issue There are snowbars that can be put up. We have one yet to be installed for by the door. Not sure if we will use any others since in the winter we aren't around the other sides much. As for the plants we will have to see how that works out.

Still cool and windy. I plan to do some caulking on the garden shed which should be out of the wind.

Later
    Michelle

12 years ago

I just came in from and hour of hand watering with the hose in the backyard. We desperately need about three days of steady rain but that's not in the forecast!

Michelle - that entrance garden looks great.

gb - I didn't know donkeys lived so long!

Saucy - it sounds like you might need sunglasses to go into the kids' rooms :-)

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

The before picture:

{{gwi:177214}}

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Happy Autumn, Idyllers -- I've been in the same frenzy of trying to catch up on many things, getting ready for what seems to be an early Fall, and craziness at the awfice... luckily I don't have work travel on the agenda as Kathy does. And I'm much relieved to be off long hose duty, even if the price is autumn weather.

Michelle, - congrats to you on the DS engagement - what fun that you like the potential inlaw too. Your entry gardens are gorgeous - it all looks stellar - I wonder which plants/shrubs are not performing there? It's just gorgeous.

I think I'm fairly up to date on the goings on here; I know I tried a couple times to read with the idea I was going to post and then time got away from me...... all too common a problem any more. I do feel somewhat schizophrenic - split in many directions these days, LOL.

Chelone - that floor cloth is pretty fab -- I know you could create a number of commissions to pay with the right marketing gig.

Succulents got deloused and pulled into the house last weekend -- the one thing I was determined to get done - of course, now it will get hot again, right? Still need to put them in their permanent winter locations, but they're in at least.

Kathy, I had to laugh - when you said you were going to Cottage Gardens sale I immediately thought you were going to NY -- that's the name of the daylily nursery that some of the Rochester/Buffalo folks got their incredible daylilies from, and I did manage to order and plant a few of them that I just "had to have" -- we'll see how they do or how much sun I end up with next year -- that seems to be an increasing problem, less sun.

Yeona -- good for you to be working so hard -- my hat's off too to you -- nose to the grindstone is tough but at the end of the day you feel some sense of accomplishment -- I'm with you re pain tho -- old age is setting in on this body and arthritis is yelping..... I think much as we all hate pain, women are pretty tough at "sucking it up" and pushing thru it when they have to.

Those spite fences are a sad commentary on modern life, arent they? the renter neighbor next to me would pull one from me, if I didnt already have a fence in the back... he's a slob, among other things. It looks like gardeners tho (like Julie and Cynthia) at least are creative on how to make fences look pretty or disguise them as best they can.

Enjoying your photos, 'bug, of the late season garden.... I need to find someone to do some weeding for me too, LOL, but they'd likely pull half the plants out too..

Woody - what a cute airedale, even if he's shy... I've noticed Stella is a social butterfly with people, but she's starting to be quite shy around dogs too -- I've been challenged recently with trying to find a harness she'll "tolerate" -- I think I'm on #5 style; but she really needs one - crossing my fingers this one will suffice and Ms. Prima will live with it - I'm running out of options!

Okay -- going to try to get back more regularly -- and hopefully life won't throw any road blocks to that goal!

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Please take a look below and see what we've been up to!
    'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: Before take-off

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good evening friends, and a warm one here-after all these months we are finally getting some heat. It's 85 right now , at almost 8pm. Though I have learned that warm nights are quite normal out yonder with my midwest and east coast friends, it is not usual here unless we are in a heat wave mode. Looks like we're in for a few days-good news for the grape guys. Flew back from Spokane Saturday and spent what was left of the weekend trying to catch up on chores. Only one more trade show to go and I'm done for the year, thank goodness.

Insanely jealous of Michelle's Celosia spicata ! Do you direct sow them Michelle, or start indoors ? Mine germinated okay when started under lights, but I got the distinct impression that they didn't care to be transplanted. It took them forever to get growing after planting out and never did achieve any size to speak of. I still have seeds so I'm going to give it a go again next year.

Lol Cindy, I remember Cottage Gardens on the dentists plant list he gave to us. We actually have a couple of Daylily growers in Norcal, one in the south bay down near San Jose, and another is a couple hours drive east of me in the gold rush country . I've never visited either of them , though I have ordered. I've taken out two of the 'flesh tone' varieties so far , and have a couple more that I plan to discard.

Such worthwhile tasks for you 'bug ! I hope the results are all you hope for. Your DS is to be admired.

Speaking of DS's , mine has another part , one of the principals this time in the Sprekels Theatre production of The Fantastiks , which will have it's run this winter. So, he has three paid jobs lined up in a row; he's not getting rich, but he's certainly getting a lot of experience and exposure.

Ok, time to go sit with the new FG which was in my mailbox today.

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    12 years ago

Did I say how much I like your entry gardens, Michelle? It's really amazing how wonderful they look - I think one major thing where you opened up right at the door/stoop and changed that area gives it a whole different ambiance. And of course the windy walk and pavers -- great redo.

I'm struggling with that in my front myself right now -- it's hard to find the right mix of "intrepids" that will thrive and can have 3 feet of snow thrown on them (or ice -- as 'bug worries about from the roof), but still get a lot of great blooming things. I fail at the seed sowing thingie - and while I'd love to have a bunch of conifers in front, they'd all get so overgrown (the 20 yr old ones there now need to be removed, but I'm hesitant to do so; I hate starting over!).

For the first time in about 10 years, I did not place any fall orders for bulbs -- I feel oddly like I'm going to feel naked in the Spring; on the other hand, I should feel relief since it was so often a struggle to get them all planted -- as always I often ordered too much -- well, this year it is going to be too little, LOL.

That's great that your DS has some more theatrical gigs -- like building up a portfolio in any creative endeavor I suspect.

Congrats, Julie, on the victory re the bus stop -- I would bet a lot had to do with perseverance on your part. I've never understood some of the decisions public schools make re kids' routines.

Well, I'm glad it's a big warmer - we've gotten a few showers the last couple of days and I think I heard more for the next several -- another thing to be thankful for -- no hose chores in the immediate future -- yeeha!

Hope the rest of the awfice week goes quickly!

-cindy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

A very strange lazy day here. Cloudy and humid.
    We are down to two people, with residue mess to handle...later! I am very eager to hear how DS and his friends begin their grand Haitian efforts. I hope to have photos and news soon, but must be patient...

News from DD is that there has been LOTS of illness, not uncommon when kids return to daycare and school, but this has been a real struggle. Not only terrible colds with serious coughing, but walking pneumonia for Skyler, completely undetected while at their place, but 'in full bloom' at his mom's home. This is a big issue with his upcoming heart surgery. The biggest worry has been Leo whose coughing will not stop. Add pink-eye to all that and the fact that DD is training a new employee at work - and life is unbelievably busy and filled with stresses.

Today's surprise was a roscoea bloom!
    {{gwi:177215}}

Wood has been ordered for stacking in the barn, but for now, I'm taking a break from a hectic time at the farm.

Time for a rest. We drove DS to the airport last night and only got to bed around 1:30am.
    'bug

12 years ago

gb - I hope Sarah and family get well soon!

Randy came back yesterday from a week in Calgary visiting his father and sister. An hour after he got home, he went to pick up Dexter - Dexter was boarded at their vet's for a couple of days since he's too much for me to walk on my own. (BIL/SIL are vacationing in Greece for two weeks and Dexter is vacationing here :- ) Today Randy walked him over to Blue's so they could get acquainted. It's about a 2.5 mile round trip. Dexter was very thirsty when he got there and sucked down all the water in Blue's bowl in about 10 sec. flat!
    {{gwi:177217}}

He and Misty are getting along great - she's not in the least bothered by her newest active big buddy!
    {{gwi:177219}}

He sems to have got over being spooked by the doggie in the mirror and is happily hanging out in the office with us. His bed in the corner of our bedroom is also beside a mirrored closet door and he seemed to ignore it totally. He seems to be through the crazy 'teenage' stage and has settled down to being a charming gentleman. He's their third Airedale and they've all been lovely dogs.

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments on the entry garden. It's still quite a "young" garden. One of the things to be moved out is a daylily as the foliage isn't good enough for this area. As for the celosia, I did grow it from seed that I planted out in the spring in milk jugs. I transplant into the garden when they are about an inch tall. I find this to be an easy way to start most seeds. I really don't enjoy the indoor deal at all.

It's been cool, cloudy and windy the last 2 days. They are talking 38 for tonight. I hope they are right as I've not taken any precautions other than move some of the succelents to the basement. I spent the evening priming the trim on my garden shed which needs repainting and some of the trim on Kenzie's playhouse. Not a fun job but old farm buildings need attention or they go to pot. I think I painted my shed 6 years ago. I think I can get by with touching up the body and repainting the trim.

The gardens are being sorely neglected while this happens. Kenzie is coming this weekend and we will pick the indian corn we grew. It has blown partly down from the wind. We might have to go to Grandpa's Fun Farm and check out their Fall Festival. Of course I may check the nursery that they have there for any bargains.

'bug, the roscoea bloom is pretty and interesting. I hadn't heard of it before. Is it hardy for you?

Cindy, I didn't order any bulbs either. I want to focus more on moving things this fall and of course the above mentioned painting project.

Kathy, I'd say 3 paid acting jobs is pretty good. Is your DS in college also? I don't recall.

I'll leave you with a couple of shots from the Butterfly House on Mackinac Island. I loved the turtle especially. His back was all mosiac.

{{gwi:177221}}
    [IMG]{{gwi:177222}}

• jak1
    12 years ago

Hey, Michelle: no pics!!?? Could use some cheery photos today too.

First day of fall. A little too cold without the fire, a little too warm with it.

Not quite sure if it is wise to hang out the laundry I washed (before 7 a.m. due to Time of Use charges). If I am going to make an effort to avoid the high rates by doing my stupid laundry before 7, I sure as heck am not going to use my dryer at the higher rate. Time to get out the folding wooden racks...

I haven't done nearly enough cleaning up outside. I have told my family that I need them for a whole day next weekend if the weather cooperates to get the outside of the house in shape: we'll see. I hate to cut things down when they still look o.k. but they will brown up (or brown down?) pretty quick with some rain and a few cold nights.

I have made the call to the vet to evaluate my cat. I am not sure what to do, and I am so torn. She is thin and eats everything, even getting up on the stove, trying to get in the cookie jar, garbage, whatever,and also is fed about six times each day. She pees inappropriately and I am constantly cleaning up after her; may even have to replace a portion of carpet. She cries to go out, and then turns right around and cries to come back in immediately. And checks the food dish even if she finished eating five minutes before. And then she sleeps all day looking like a flat cat. I am thinking that she has become senile.

We are not sure of her age as she was a rescue, adult when we got her over ten years ago. She is not cuddly or affectionate. And I am thinking that for our own sanity she should go. Yet she is not "dying" in the absolute sense of the word, although maybe suffering. Oh dear. I do have serious concerns about her during the winter....Oh dear.

On this crummy note I am going to sign off.

Cheers (not very today)

Julie

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Happy Autumn...my favorite time of year...even if it is cool and rainy at the moment. I love the combination of goldenrod and purple asters everywhere. The ornamental grasses are fabulous now too.

Last evening I was kept busy with emails about Haiti, so I know for sure that DS has arrived and is off & running with many projects. See below for "Day one" at the school. There are other postings on the site with photos of our BBQ etc....

Today I had a radical haircut. Variety is the spice of life. We'll see how it goes over the next week or so.

This afternoon I'm off to an open house to see the organ my friend has been building for the past year or so. This is an exciting time...before they disassemble it for shipping to British Columbia, where they will assemble it once more in a church. It is a bit sad as well, because I don't know what project my friend will be working on in the future. [Also, we won't be getting the amazing bits and pieces of wood for kindling. ;)]

I am missing photos of my grandchildren these days and am uncertain as to when I will next be seeing them. Great sigh....
    'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: Volunteering at Ecole Shalom: The First Day

• jak1
    12 years ago

After a long conversation with the vet and a few tests, we have had to say goodbye to Paws. We are all weepy tonight....poor little thing. We miss her...

Julie

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Lots of hugs to Julie and family.

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

Photobucket must be having issues as I check the album and the pictures are there and they were here when I posted. We will try again.

{{gwi:177224}}

{{gwi:177226}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Weather here has definitely changed but I don't notice too much change in color in the gardens yet. Along the roads the trees have red and yellow tints. There's mist rising from our pond each morning and the dew sparkling on the inflorescences of the grasses is beautiful.

Today we will run errands in town: a wedding gift for friends, thank-you chocolates for the children at the schoolhouse across the road, a few groceries, etc.

Tomorrow we will attend a concert which is a fund raiser for a healing garden for the local hospital...then out to dinner with our friends.

We have heard a great deal of news regarding setting up power at the school where DS is volunteering in Haiti. The "guys" are sending rapid fire emails back & forth. This is good and exciting too. He is also working on mapping projects in Port-au-Prince, so there is lots of travel there and back.

One cute email described a EUREKA moment when Volunteer Nick discovered that one lady teacher understands sufficient Spanish to be able to communicate with him directly!

I just placed a small order for tulips yesterday. (Pink Floyd, Candy Kisses, Stunning Apricot) Something reasonable this time, only enough to easily get in the ground, but enticing enough to get me through winter and anticipate an early spring.

Happy weekend!
    'bug

12 years ago

(((Julie)))

Michelle - that turtle is fantastic!

The heptacodium tree is in full bloom today and the purple asters are opening too - just in time for the arrival of the Monarchs on their migration south. There were only 4 Monarchs on the tree when we walked the dogs early this morning - it was cool still so the butterflies hadn't woken up yet! An hour later when Randy went out to do some shopping, he popped back in to say the tree was mobbed by Monarchs! Hopefully, he'll get some good pictures of it later.

• yeonasky
    12 years ago

Hugs from me too, to Julie and family.

When my Pepper cat got cancer she lost all of her weight very quickly and before we knew it was gone. She was 12.

Michelle that turtle is is so colourfully pretty. It reminds of necklaces and gets the old beading juices going. I'm working on a few pieces and they're coming along very slowly. I needed the inspiration.

GB glad the work is doable in Haiti with language barriers down and lots of minds to help with challenges.

I can't wait to see the tulips you've chosen next year. Do you plant over them?

Woody I hope Randy gets a picture of the Monarchs too. I don't see them here like I used to and they're a favourite of mine.

I've been busy cleaning and organizing my way through pet owners' homes of Vancouver and the rest of the lower mainland. This month I pet sat 3 cats that have various illnesses which make their little tummies not so cooperative. One is a scaredy cat that took 5 years to warm up to the previous cleaner, but was okay with me after 5 visits. I was gratified to have him warm up to me so fast. So was his owner. I also cleaned in a lovely iguana's home, who hissed at me at first, then grew curious and used to me quickly. Yesterday the cat was burnt orange in colour with a wonderful playfulness and curiosity with the curious name of Pumpkinhead. I love Halloween, so that name's fun to me.

Another place I worked at also yesterday has a golden retriever named Molly. She has the hugest eyes I've seen on a Golden in a melt in your mouth chocolate colour. I think she's sensitive to her owners' states right now and is a bit under the weather and groany. The woman of the house is pregnant with her second and is stressed, and the man of the house just had surgery for a deviated septum, and has been upset and worried ever since.

When he woke up from the surgery he was saying that we, in Vancouver, were going to have an earthquake on this Monday August 26th. He has told everyone, and is convinced it will happen and that there won't be much left of Vancouver and the surrounding areas. Everyone says he's crazy, but he's not letting that stop him from acting on it. He says he's leaving town with his family for the day, and that he hopes he's wrong. So do I! He says he's heeding this portent because his mother was scarey psychic. So if anything happens here, wish me luck. I can't leave town. Who would clean up Frances' place that day? And I wouldn't leave without my daughter, and SIL.

I've got to go pull weeds. Boy do they love the rain!

Take care all,

Yeona

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Awww Julie... Hugs! I think you'll be seeing Paws around the house for quite some time. At least I see our lost friends for weeks after their final trips.

Woody, we see Monarchs around Verbena bonariensis at this time of year. Not too many so far though.

I made a batch of curried vegetables. I used tomatoes, eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes, onions, etc, much of it from the garden. Smells good!

Yeona, I sympathize about the weeds. It has been a never ending process this year. It is time for me to take my wallflower cuttings any day now. You can see the tulips at the site below. I just plant them wherever I think that particular color might look nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Candy Kisses, Pink Floyd, Stunning Apricot

• saucydog
    12 years ago

Big hugs, Julie. We recently lost Zeus and I still wake up and think he's there waiting to go out.

Jake took a date (first girlfriend) to the homecoming dance this evening. He was a gentlemen, and I found myself very proud over his opening the door and putting on her corsage.

I have the chore of bringing in all the plants hanging over my head. It's been raining for days and so I need things to dry out a little bit, but then I have to get serious. I am melancholy about the season changing. It is good to have a job where I am out in the sunshine (when it's there). I hope I enjoy the winter more since I will be out in it, soaking up what little vitamin D I can get ;)

Happy Saturday, friends!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Saucy! Zeus was a big part of the Idylls for me. I'm so sorry....

And Jake! I guess he isn't so little any more... Time flies. How nice you take pride in his progress! I'm so pleased.

Our Sarah adores the winter. I hope you learn to love it as well!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

((Julie)) ..its hard to say goodbye. I have really appreciated the devoted pet owners here on the Idylls over the years. Everything is understood, and sometimes we even get to meet the pet 'in person' ! This summer I met Ginger, Zuzu and Twerp.

Which reminds me, Mary, are you out there ? We need a check-in !

I cleaned the house today. Not in depth mind you, but it was much more thorough than any cleaning this summer. Tomorrow I'll be able to spend some time in the garden, and next weekend as well. After that there will be a bit of traveling-again. There are many plant sales happening in October at various botanical gardens ..unfortunately the Ruth Bancroft garden plant sale is the same weekend as Digging Dog.

Saucy, Jake looked mighty dapper in the pics you posted on FB today. As did Ginger !

Nothing more to add tonight, waves to all. Perhaps a better post tomorrow.

Kathy in Napa

12 years ago

(((Saucy)))

• yeonasky
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear about Zeus, Saucy.

I dream about my Jagger who passed last August, and wake up thinking the dream is real. In my dream he comes to visit us and stays for a few days, then goes off to where ever land and then comes back whenever my daughter starts to miss him. So I believe he's close by, even if only in my dreams.

Yeona

• saucydog
    12 years ago

{{gwi:177227}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

{{gwi:177228}}

12 years ago

{{gwi:177229}}

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH IN EFFECT

• michelle_zone4
    12 years ago

{{gwi:177230}}

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NORMA!

• yeonasky
    12 years ago

{{gwi:177232}}

• triple_creek
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes and beautiful pictures. I did have a good day yesterday. The weather was pretty brisk but great for a morning walk. I started a book I recieved in the afternoon and finished it this morning. I took my walk this morning too but was definitely slowed down. I'm having a bout with acid reflux and not feeling to great today. The weather is still unsettled. I hope tomorrow will be better I have lots to get buttoned up outside.
    I hope you all are enjoying today. Norma

• yeonasky
    12 years ago

Great that you had a good birthday day Norma. Sorry about the acid reflux. Have you ever tried peppermint oil or DGL, Deglycerized Liquorice? ;the glycerine is what bothers people with heart problems, but the rest of the liquorice herb is very healing. DGL in pill form got rid of my daughter's acid reflux in a matter of months. Thank goodness.

GB I hope you battened down the hatches. We had high winds for a day and tree branches were down in a trice. I saw a few loose branches way up as I walked a tree lined street, and in hind sight should have walked down the middle of the road. Luckily nothing fell, but I hope everyone checks their trees.

Richea worked a half day, as did I, so we headed for the mountain for a walk for me, Leah and Bodhi, and a ride for Richea.

Yeona

PS. Some pics of our boarder, Bodhi, and our Leah from our most recent visit to the Fraser river beach

Everyone has their thing they love to do. Leah loves wading in the water.

{{gwi:177234}}

Bodhi loves leaping onto logs.
    {{gwi:177237}}

Richea loves to ride ride ride.
    {{gwi:177239}}

And I love to take pictures of the action.

{{gwi:177240}}

{{gwi:177241}}

Bodhi has the typical Shih Tzu overbite. He's quite a sturdy fellow, though, for all his small size.

{{gwi:177242}}

Buds on the beach.

{{gwi:177243}}

12 years ago

Yeona - I love those dog pictures! How old is Leah? Bodhi looks very Misty-like in coloring - very cute too.

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

That last shot is the sweetest....

• jak1
    12 years ago

{{gwi:177244}}

Happy Belated birthday wishes Norma!

Beautiful summer sequence Yeona! How well I remember the days of Motocross! Looks like all of you had a perfect summer day!

My photo is of my Josephine clematis - not very common here. It was gorgeous this year, although it wasonly its second full summer. I am so pleased! Looks like I get to close off this thread!

Cheers,

Julie