Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmary

Idyll #283 - the flowers of memory

gardeningmary
17 years ago

There's a very special garden where the flowers of memory grow,

Nurtured by the kindness and concern that good friends show.

The roots are cherished memories of good times in the past,

the petals tender promises that souls endure and last.

It's a place of peace and beauty where bright new hopes can start,

it's memory's lovely garden that soothes the hurting heart.

Comments (103)

• triple_creek
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Marian your plant room is pretty neat. Lots of color. Is that the plectranthus that is blooming?

Gosh Honey I bet you are worn out from all the worry with DD. Hope she is all better soon.

I know I have missed commenting on several happenings with many of you. Please know I am thinking good thoughts for all.

The grandsons and I went for a walk yesterday. Here is a picture of Wyatt. The batteries went dead and I didn't get the one I wanted to take of Jake. But I wanted to show this picture of his found objects birthday gift for Papa. All items found on the walk. An old bottle(whiskey I'm guessing) leaves, sand,acorn and a twisted root that reminded him of a curly straw. LOL . Papa thought it was a cool present.

I'm turning in early, my eyes are tired and I want to get an early start outside tomorrow. N

{{gwi:177297}}

{{gwi:177298}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Hey Brenda! Don't just pop in...come back! We don't care if you can't post regularly. Every time we get together, your name always comes up as an idyller everyone misses.

Jeez, Honey, it's amazing how many people have tales like yours to tell lately regarding health care. Glad you had the medical "in" and were able to get on a better track. Hopefully your DD will be up and around soon.

Marian, you don't waste any time getting those plants inside, do you? I wait til the last possible minute and even then the plants go in kicking and screaming. I guess a quick death to frost is preferable to a slow death under my care for months on end in the house...lol.

Ei, you are too much!

Mary, as far as I know whoopie pies have never been made gluten free. One of the people over on the New England forum asked if he could substitute butter for the shortening. I told him to give it a try. Gluten free might work but I don't think butter is a good idea.

Hi Saucy and Norma!

Sue

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177299}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177301}}

• deanneart
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177302}}

{{gwi:177303}}

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Morning all! Just a quick check in this AM. Doug took the day off and I think we're going to try to do a nice long bicycle ride.

Brenda!!!! How absolutely fabulous to hear from you. I wish you knew how many times people have been asking about you and saying how much you've been missed. I sure hope you can pop in more often.

Hi Saucy, you still on for a visit to NH on Saturday? Wendy is coming and I think Sue is thinking about popping up here as well. Should be a lot of fun.

Sue if you do come up on Saturday would you please bring me some of that P. 'Painter's Palette'? if you've got extra. Your 'babies' are all doing well and are looking pretty nice on my back steps at the moment. Now I'm wishing I'd gotten one of those Acers. Yours is lovely.

Thanks Michelle for the ID's on the plants. I especially wanted to know what the Acalpha was. I think Sue has quite few of those and they're wonderful. Definitely on my list for next year. I've alreday taken cuttings of a couple of her Alternantheras and they've rooted. I actually want to get them potted up today if I can squeeze out some time.

Mary, how did the book discussion go? I don't think I'd be able to do that if I'd read the book that long ago.

Marian, I can't believe how much you've gotten done with getting yor plants in the house. I'm like Sue and seem to put it off until the last minute. I'll be hauling all these containers into the garage some night soon just as the frost is settling in. It is so nice to see you posting so many pictures lately.

Honey, what a terrible and stressful situation with your DD. I had a similar thing happen to my friend after her knee replacement. They sent her home when she had absolutely NO WAY to get around and take care of herself. I was appalled that she'd been released in the shape she was in.

Norma, great to hear from you too. Love the pic of Wyatt and the creative gift.

OK I've got to get my day started so Doug and I can hit the road and get some miles on our bicycles. Soon it will be too cold to cycle.

Have a great day everyone,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

What beautiful birthday cards I see here this morning! And what a treat birthday celebrations are here!

Another beautiful sunny morning...which will no doubt deteriorate as the day progresses, as have the other days recently. We expect lows of 37F later this week, and since they are not trustworthy, this could mean frost. Unlike Marian, I have accomplished little in terms of bringing in plants. I had best at least collect some coleus today! I think the change of seasons has me in paralysis rather than energized. Part of the problem is that I have not been able to exercise since the plantar's fasciitis struck my right foot. There is only one place that will deal with this problem in the neighbouring town and they are only open on Tuesdays and Fridays. This just doesn't mesh with times I can use the car due to DH's teaching schedule. We think that next week it may work, so I am phoning for an appointment later today. I really need new footwear and my exercise routine!

Autumn seems such a busy time. I remember well getting the kids organized for school and the expenses incurred at this time for clothing, books, etc. Then before you knew it, Christmas arrived! Well of course this year it was wedding and travel expenses for us, but fortunately we have moved on and no longer have tuition fees for university etc.

Looking through the photos I was happy to see Ei's friend Dotti! What a great trip that was! I checked out Sue's plant swap too and duly noted Sue was the only one with a beer bottle in hand....LOL!

And so before more phone interruptions, I am off but wishing everyone a happy day!
    'bug

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I don't have time to say much, but want to wish Norma and Wendy a very Happy Birthday!

Sue, I used to wait until the last moment also, but discovered both I and my plants appreciated it very much if I brought them in ahead of cold weather. My plants no longer suffer from the move, since they have time to adjust to the interior before the heat comes on, and I no longer about kill myself off getting them in!

Brenda, I agree with Sue...come back. At least check in more frequently so we will know you are still 'among us'. :-)

Norma, Wyatt is precious! Can I adopt him for a greatgrandson? His collection is neat, and matches your tablecloth perfectly. I don't think you can see the plectranthus blooms. They are too small. I took a pic of the plant, but it is too tacky to post. The visible blooms are : achimines, penta,and impatiens ( if you look closely).

Marian

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Sorry about your foot, Marie. I know how that can limit your activities. Are you feeling like my friend here?

{{gwi:177304}}

That's Myrtle. She was passing through our back yard yesterday. :-)

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Wendy1 Have a great day.

{{gwi:177305}}

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177306}}

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Thanks for the cards and Birthday Wishes. I'm off for a brisk walk to get the energy flowing for some digging.
    Be back later. Norma

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

One more comment...:-)
    Norma, I am such a dufus...also in the pics is the pink agastache and the angelonia. They are in front of the window below the achimines.

Marian

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177307}}

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Marian, this was my first year growing angelonia. It is in a mixed container and has bloomed non stop all summer. I love it.
    So it overwinters ok for you?

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Norma, I have never tried overwintering it. I just moved it in to see how long it lasts. It is in a strawberry jar!

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday, Wendy and Norma!

Sue, I'm in awe of your garden photos! No one would ever know those areas are new! You are truly an amazing gardener. As always, Deanne, your photos are true artistry.

Thanks, everyone for your comments on DD. I spoke to her last nite and the swelling has subsided and she's rapidly recovering. I'm feeling so relieved. Sue, Deanne, I think what happened is typical of the health care system these days. She had to go to that hospital b/c of her health insurance. It wasnt first choice. If wed had a written list of what to expect after surgery telling us what to do if, or a physicians asst. number to call if we had any problems or questions, all the worry and upset could have been precluded. Instead, they left us adrift. Its just maddening.

Mary, how awful that Dr. wouldn't look you in the eye. It's so true, they should have a mandatory course in communicating w/patients. We have a friend who raised the roof b/c they couldnt understand the foreign Dr. they were assigned and they thot he didnt understand enough English to determine the correct diagnosis. Our health care system these days is hit and miss and pretty scary.

Marian, Im in awe and so jealous of your utility room w/all those windows! Lucky you. DH is baulking at my taking over his basement workshop (he never uses) for wintering over some plants.

Oh deer, there are 6 deer in my back yard! Luckily, I doused the garden w/Liquid Fence last nite.

Yesterday, I used up the last of the topsoil and regraded the area in front of the garage, and shifted the plants some. Marie, I gook your advice and put Frosty Morn next to and in front of Ninebark Summer Wine. I cleaned the pavers, got the sealer and matls. It should be dry enough to seal after 11 am. Its supposed to be able to dry 24 hrs. w/out getting wet. Its supposed to rain at 11 am tomorrow so Im on a tight schedule. Then I need to whip thru this pit and get it ready for company tonite and stop at the grocery. Lastly, I need to do something w/myself so I dont scare our guests away.

Hi to all. TTYL, Honey

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Norma!

{{gwi:177308}}

Happy Birthday Wendy!

{{gwi:147011}}

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

What a treat to have 2 Idyll birthdays. Norma and Wendy my wish for you is that you have a very special day. Pamper yourselves. I really like having a birthday, I know that many see it as another day, but I love feeling special at least one day a year. If nothing else I treat myself.

I lurk and occasionally post on a couple of other forums and I must say that the quality of the gardens and photography skills here are unmatched. I know why we have so many lurkers. I also know why Steve Silk wants to visit Sues garden:o)

I see they are predicting mid 30s again this week. I should just give in and dismantle the containers tonight. At least take out the things that I really want to save. Theres just too many to cart in and out of the shed. Im like Marie and dont really trust the weatherman when he says a low of 35.

Brenda, how great to hear from you. Please drop in whenever you can even if just a few words. We miss you and your wonderful sense of humor.

Marian, I love the turtle picture.

Norma, Wyatt is absolutely adorable. I just love the grin on his face. What a fun gift for his papa, its quite artistic.

Deanne, I have read that the Acalypha is quite easy to overwinter as a houseplant.

Have a fabulous day all, Ill post some birthday pictures when I get home.

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177311}}

I hope you have a lovely day!

Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177313}}
    I hope your day is magical! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

LOL...QUICK HONEY! Seize the opportunity...go buy yourself some Pentas! :-) Sorry...couldn't resist. Glad to hear DD is doing much better.

My, my what gorgeous pictures everyone. I tell you, Idylls birthdays are the best! :-) I swooned at the color in yours Norma! That Wyatt (I *love* his name)is a real cutie...what a smile! :-)

So sorry to hear about your foot Bug.

LOL Marian...*love* your turtle. OMIGOSH! Love your utility room too. How wonderful that must be to have...makes your feel like there is "life" in your world, even when the cold winds are blowing outside! You are quite the plantswoman. Wish I could keep *anything* growing indoors! BTW, not surprised you didn't recognize me, the lighting was bad and the pic isn't really flattering is it? The only gal you can really make out is Dottie. It goes from left to right (as you look at the screen) Dottie, Me, Karin, Donce & Sue. But it's fun!:-) I am the "sheep". I wanted to be a goat, but no goat to be had.

Mary & Bug...I'll tell Dottie you said "Hi!". I really love this group of garden gals, but it makes me miss the "old" ones even more. Wish they all still lived close and we could become one big group of garden friends. That would be so fun! BTW Mary, Dottie was laughing when I told her how you and Babs were making fun of my mushroom. She has a suggestion for a photo op of that mushroom. She thinks I should move a couple of nice round rocks over to it and a little irish moss. You know you guys ruined that mushroom for me?...LOL! I just don't see it as a mushroom anymore.

Sue...love your container! Don't you love that Thai Beauty EE (I *think* that's what they are called)? I definitely plan to save those and use them again next year.

Deanne your roses are gorgeous. I especially love the 2nd one...love cabbagey roses. Do you know the name of it?

Beautiful butterfly pic Bug...love the way the orange in the Monarch brings out the orange "eyes" of your butterfly bush! :-) Meant to comment on your previous pictures too....wonderful! How cool are the seed heads on that clematis? I love that!

Eden I *love* the combo of solidago with the cosmos too. What is that pretty plant with the white variegated leaves...looks like it could be a sedum?

Hmmm...I guess I'm doing a lot of "lovin" today.

Anyway, already back from taking mom to get her stitches out (the carpal tunnel surgery). Now starts PT, beginning next week, 2 x a week.

Well, can't stay and chat like I would like to, as I need to pick up some prescriptions for mom and then out to dig up some of my coral peonies for the girls. Also need to empty all the dreadful looking hanging baskets. Everything else seems to be doing fine still.

Oh! Which reminds me Wendy, before I forget. Thanks for posting how to make cuttings of the Brugmansia. Will prepare some for all the garden gals here. BTW, do you know if I should let a mild frost get the mom before I bring her in and store her or should I bring her in now before we get into the 30's?

Brenda it is *so* good to see you! Hope you had a productive and happy farming season!

Great to see you *all*!

Ei

Im sure youve all heard this one, but I got such a kick out of it:
    The Silent Treatment

A man and his wife were having some problems at home and were giving each other the silent treatment. Suddenly, the man realized that the next day, he would need his wife to wake him at 5:00 AM for an early morning business flight.

Not wanting to be the first to break the silence (and LOSE), he wrote on a piece of paper, "Please wake me at 5:00 AM." He left it where he knew she would find it.

The next morning, the man woke up, only to discover it was 9:00 AM and he had missed his flight. Furious, he was about to go and see why his wife hadn't wakened him, when he noticed a piece of paper by the bed.

The paper said, "It is 5:00 AM. Wake up."

Men are not equipped for these kinds of contests.

LOL!

Uh oh...Now I got the feeling that someone shared this before.... Oh well....Have a great day all! Ei

• flowerluvr
    17 years ago

You guys are like a warm, fuzzy blanket and a fresh cup of coffee-thanks for missing me. I apologize for going AWOL without notice. Not nice and I'll make it a point to bob in and say howdy, at the very least. It's been the-summer-from-nowhere-good here, and I've tended to pop in from time to time and read, but didn't have the heart to post. You're a very soothing bunch ;)

I won't go into a total blow-by-blow of the summer, but the climax was when my son wrecked his car. In one way and another, it's why I didn't make it to the Idyllunion. Another apology to V for not letting ya know what was going on. Fortunately, even though he rolled his car THREE times, DS is fine. Got bumped around pretty good, but was wearing his seatbelt, so was just good and sore, and his shoulder was a bit dislocated. Nothing the chiropractor couldn't fix. He was taking a friend to the ER, the friend had cut his hand pretty badly. Both had been drinking. I can't even begin to tell you how crushed I was to find that out. I live 3 miles away from him, and have told both of the kids since they were teenagers, that no matter where they are, or what time it is, call me rather than drink and drive. You'll probably get an earful at some point, but I will always be there, and you'll be safe. I saw his car, and there is NO reason for him to have walked away from it, other than he got a second chance because he is a good and kind human being. BOTH of those boys walked away from it, and to me that's the main thing. The rest is just crap to deal with. And, Phillip has done some long hard thinking. He didn't realize until I came and picked him up how devastated I'd be if something happened to him. I don't believe that drinking and driving will ever be an issue with him again. We come from a huge family, and it hit home with him just how many people would be beside themselves if he were hurt or killed. Criminentlies!!!, as Sue would say :)
    During our spare time, MIL wrecked HER car. She's also fine, but totalled the car. Mom has been in and out of the hospital, but is fine and dandy. DD had a fairly emotional breakup with her BF. It was painful for her, but she did the right thing. A month or so later she got a puppy (wink, wink, see a substitution here??) Cute lil lab mix guy that ya just fell in love with. Three weeks later, he died of Parvo.
    Our neighbor (MIL's place is between ours and his) passed away. He was in his early 90's, and had a massive heart attack coming back from the mailbox. It was two days before he was found. The guy who farms across the road from us found him. I'm so thankful it wasn't one of his daughters. There was an estate sale, and we ended up buying the farm. The buildings are in horrible shape, so they'll be torn down and we'll farm all of it. The daughters are to be commended. They could have gotten a lot more money if they had split it off and sold the house lot, farm ground and woods separately. Jim has farmed it since the early 80's, and they knew thier Dad would want him to have it, so they sold it all to us for the price of farm ground.
    SO, all that being said, Jim and I took off for Michigan last week and got out of this NUTHOUSE ;) We went to St. Ignace and took the boat out to Mackinaw Island. Did a lot of walking, and had a deck off our hotel room that looked over Lake Huron. It was wonderful and peaceful, and just what we needed before harvest kicks in.
    I only have 6 plants to get in the ground, and I'm pretty sure that's a record for me.
    OH, and I DO have good news!! I've lost 50 pounds and exercise every day. Deanne, are ya proud of me??? I've taken up yoga, which I dearly love, and do the treadmill and rebounder every day. We cleaned out all our junk from the biggest room upstairs. Took it to the estate sale, and it all got bought up-and brought enough to pay for vacation-woo hoo! Now, all my exercise stuff is in one room with a tv and dvd player to boot. It's been my sanctuary :)
    Okay, looking back, I see that I said I wasn't gonna give you a blow by blow account, then went ahead and did anyway--I'm such a dork, lol! I'll end by saying that I missed talking with ya, I promise to do better and at least touch base, and thanks a million for missing me...you have no idea how good that makes me feel.
    Brenda
    PS..just refreshed. Ei, I've read it before, and it still makes me laugh-thanks :)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Brenda...your priorities are in the right order! Everyone is in good health in spite of the trauma. Than goodness!
    So good to have you back! Keep it calm for a while, OK? Congratulations on the new land too.

Norma, your little guy there is a super cute kid. Home made gifts are the real treasures! Keep it up Wyatt!

Say hi to Myrtle for me Marian!

Eden, I just love Fireworks! Yours is a beauty..and so are your asters.

Beautiful white fluffy clouds here on a blue background. :-)

'bug

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    17 years ago

Some roses for the birthday girls:

Hot Cocoa for Norma

{{gwi:177314}}

and Queen Elizabeth for Wendy

{{gwi:177315}}

(or you can switch them if you prefer.:-)

Brenda add me to the list of people who missed your posts. Youve certainly had a rough summer! I hope the rest of the year is easier on your nerves! And congratulations on the added land.

Sue that was a fabulous view of your tropical yard Im awestruck! And what is the variegated plant in the picture for Norma? Not the one with pink, but the two-toned green one I really like that one.

Marian what a great utility room! I regret not having the living room windows run all the way to the floor here Im not sure why I missed doing that in the renovations If we ever lose the ash tree that sits just off the patio (its old and itll probably come down eventually and maybe take the living room with it!), Id be strongly tempted to build a sunroom where the patio is now.

Re the north alley - yes, it is the one we were working on last fall last summer it was all grass out there so its a big improvement in my opinion! There are annuals filling in some bare spots this year but next year it will all be perennials I think. I seeded a lot of columbine there that are all sprouting now. The fluffy white vine on the fence is a clematis. Ive lost the tag. It looks like Sweet Autumn but has smaller flowers than the one on the south alley fence and blooms a bit before it. It is highly scented though almost overpoweringly sweet. Its almost finished blooming now.

DHs parents are at his brothers this week, minding the kids while his brother and SIL are in Italy visiting SILs sister. When his DB and SIL return, his parents are off to France for their annual vacation there. None of us think they should go this year. MIL has definitely gone downhill a lot this year Im not sure she entirely recognized me when they came by today but she did recognize Misty and has been wanting to see her ever since they arrived at the end of last week! She is also very shaky on her feet and I fear a fall is in her future hopefully not in France and hopefully she doesnt take FIL with her when she goes down! All we can do is hope that all goes well on their holiday but well all be very nervous until they return!

Tomorrow were meeting a possible replacement for Chelsea. Shes a 3 ½ year old Black Lab x Border Collie that is an orphan of a marital breakdown. Sounds cute but not well trained re walking politely thats an important consideration for me so well see how things go (Im a sucker for a cute dog so I fear my judgment will be impaired J

Hi to everyone I missed Im sure that there was other things I was going to comment on but my memory is as bad as my MILs at times.

• wendy2
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177316}}

Thanks for all of the birthday wishes and pics - I love birthdays around here!

Brenda, good to see you back here. You've had a lot going on! Good thing your son wasn't hurt badly; sounds like the accident might have been a good wake-up call for him. Congrats on the weight loss - that is awesome. Your getaway sounds nice too.

Honey, how awful that your DD was treated that way. Hope she is feeling better today. That's terrible that the doctors didn't inform her of what to expect.

Deanne, I'm looking forward to seeing you and hopefully Saucy and Sue - I thought we had said Sunday Oct 1 though? I can't make it on Saturday, and Saucy has her big yard sale Saturday if I remember. We can re-schedule if Sunday is not good for you.

Well, just another day around here - I "treated" myself to grocery shopping this afternoon, LOL. DH usually does it on Monday since that is his day off and the store is less crowded, but his car was in the shop yesterday. I was serenaded at work today by SIL and FIL, and we are going out to dinner tonite - DS is picking the restaurant - there is a whispered conference going on in the other room - probably DH trying to talk him out of pizza and burgers.

Later all!

-Wendy

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177318}}

Happy Birthday Norma

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177320}}

Happy Birthday Wendy

• just_t
    17 years ago

Just popping in to wish Norma and Wendy a very happy birthday. I hope the day has held many happy moments and blessings for you both!

My best,
    T.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

A quick good evening to all, WEndy, yes, you are right, I spaced it. We are planning on Sunday, Oct 1. For some reason I thought the 1st was on a Saturday.

Got to run, for some reason I can't get into GW today. The page is taking forever to load adn sometimes it doesn't load at all. Jeesh!

D

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Oh my, I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite of all the pretty cards. Thank you all for Bithday wishes.

I spent most of the day outside enjoying the warmer weather. I would like to say I got a lot done, but most of what I did was piddeling. I enjoyed it anyway.
    I treated myself yesterday while out an about to a Deutzia Chardonnay Pearls. I don't have it planted yet but can tell I am going to love it in that spot. It just glows there.

Brenda, rough as it was for you, I'm so glad things turned out as well as they did. Congrats on the weight loss. You have to be feeling pretty good about that.

Ei that swan picture is very pretty. I picked you out as the sheep right away.

Deanne, How did the bike ride go?

Thanks T.

Sue,that container is gorgeous.

Woody That Hot Chocalate is a pretty color. It's so good to have you posting again.

As I said, they are all pretty. I want one of everything in my garden. LOL

Thanks for the comments on Wyatt. That was a cute smile he gave me. Not one of the fake ones. LOL

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

{{gwi:177322}}

{{gwi:177324}}

It sounds like the birthday girls had an enjoyable day.

Brenda, what a rough summer you have had. I so glad you DS wasnt hurt. What a scare. Hopefully it was for him too. What fabulous news about the 50 lbs. That is quite an accomplishment. The land purchase is great news as well. Around here not a lot of land comes up for sale. Im jealous, I love Mackinac Island. Its so quaint. Did you stay on the island?

Ei, everyone in the office was wondering why I spit Dr. Pepper all over my computer screen. (I was reading about your mushroom. LOL)

I hear this buzzing noise, I guess its the new dryer. I have to spend a little time reading the manual and I havent even really figured the new camera out yet. No wonder I dont like getting new things.

Good night
    Michelle

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Greetings from the "Wasted One" this past week has been tough, too many late work nites and stressful days. . . . . Project finished at 11:00 pm Monday nite to get out the door. . . . yesterday was spent picking up the pieces of work (&and me). I crawled home and went to bed early its amazing what a real nites sleep does to the body I actually feel human again and like I might recover after all!! Im hoping to coast the rest of the week (can I fake being awake at the computer?). . . . . I might test that theory out!

A quick glance shows me that Ive missed idyll birthdays, Ill try to make up a bit later if I can sneak back in!

Wow, Marian thats a great utility room; more like a garden room!

I in my madness managed to take care of my houseplants I did something soooo stupid I cant believe I poured water that had some bleach in it on the plants outside well, I dont have to worry about bringing in the plumbago, maybe the agapanthus, 5 yr old ivy geraniums, or a couple of the cacti. . . . . aaaeeeeiiiioooo. . . . ..Im embarrassed to confess my stupidity but it makes the wintering chore pretty easy . . . . . Ive decided to be philosophical about it I get to buy all new ones come the Spring. . . . .but it definitely falls in that category of "can you believe" or "major stupid things you've done in the garden"

Honey youve had a tough week for sure an all too common tale Im hearing about health care these days and hospitals we all have to be educated and aggressive to belligerent in our relationships with hospitals, etc., it seems a sad state of affairs. Good thing your DD has great parents to assist & support her.

Sue, those shots of your garage & the tropicals wow totally hides the area and the house disappears into your wonderful plant combos I bet Silk LOVES what youve done!!! Such a magical island wonderland.

Brenda welcome back sounds like you had a tough time but have come thru w/ stars! 50 lbs that is sooo neat. Im still on a plateau at my half-way mark for losing weight and have done nothing in about 3 months its terrible. But the good part is at least I did not Gain anything thats fantastic and you should be so proud of yourself and all youre accomplished! Hope you find more time to post; I have the same problem sometimes too much other "stuff" or just no energy to do...

I hope all have a terrific day Im hoping to do a couple belated pics for those birthdays I missed.

--Cindy

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Cindy, Thats a shame about your plants. Just shows how tired you were. Hope things settle down for you now.

Michelle, you make the lovelist boquets. Do you use a perservetive to keep them fresh? If so what do you use?

Well Bob didn't need the Skid loader at work today and left it home for me to use. So I'm going to take advantage and get some heavy chores done today. I may dig out a couple of large grasses that tend to reseed about. I'm tired of worrying about deadheading them. Its a shame because now is when they are pretty.

Have a great Day everyone. Norma

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Ouch! Sorry Cindy, what a terrible thing to happen. I know you must be very disappointed, especially because obviously (5 year old geraniums) you have the knack for growing things indoors. I'm so sorry. Well, I kill my plants sometimes, but I think it's unconciously on purpose. Like when I know I should bring a plant in if I want to keep it and I keep on telling myself I will bring it in any day, but then "forget" and the frost gets it. I think it's a subconscious reaction to my houseplant inadequacy. My problem is that I'm not very good with carrying over "growing things" in the house. Coleus is pretty easy, but I have an Abutilon that I know I should bring in now, but haven't done so yet. I know I'm only going to end up killing it right about March or April, just before I would be able to bring it back outside. I am good with storing *dormant* plants though! :-)

Hmmmm...embarassing things we have done in the garden...how about this? When we first moved into this house in late winter/early spring we took an assessment of the yard. There was an area with no grass growing, just some funky looking green blades (that definitely *weren't* grass) just beginning to pop out of the dirt. Hubby decided we needed to plant some grass there, since it obviously had died out. He rototilled the whole area (about a 15 x 5 space) and we removed the funky growth with the ugly roots. I found out later from a neighbor that the person who lived here before me was an iris grower and those were all her *prize* iris that we had turned into compost! :-O The worst part is that those irises were the *only* things she grew. The rest of the yard was totally naked, nothing, with the exception of 3 silver maples, an elm and a very sad looking lawn . LOL!

Well, I need to cut this short, but speaking of dormant plants, you had asked Michelle and I realized I never told you what I do with my EE's. I store EE's, Caladiums, Begonia, Cannas, Dahlias all exactly the same. When a cold enough evening (but not hard frost) causes the leaves to collapse, I dig out all my bulbs for storing. I hose them down and get as much dirt off them as possible. I split the ones that have made decent sized babies and then I leave them all on the deck to dry in the sunshine (watch out for those squirrels!). Next I store them all in cardboard boxes filled with hamster bedding (wood shavings)and move them down into the "unheated" part of our basement. I use hamster bedding cause I can get a large sized bag of it for very cheap. You can use just about anything though, peat, perlite, vermiculite, shredded newspaper, I don't think it really matters, as long as the product is "clean". After filling the box with bulbs and bedding I spritz the whole thing with a little water, close the box and "forget about it". In December I'll inspect the boxes to make sure bulbs aren't dried out (if they are too dry I'll spritz the bedding again). I'll check them again in about Jan. and Feb., again misting if I think they need it (though usually they don't). Bulbs should be firm and not soft or moist at all. Right around March many of the bulbs, tubers, rhizomes (etc.) are starting to make some shoots and I pot those right up. By the end of March I usually have all of my "dormant" plants potted up and under lights. As soon as the weather allows I start planting them outdoors. Anyway, I find dormant plants *so* much easier to deal with then trying to grow them along. I did once grow an EE all winter long, but found it did no better come spring (actually worse with my houseplant inadequacy) than the EEs that were stored dormant.

Okay, gotta get moving....Have a lovely day all!
    Ei

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Cindy, your week sounds pretty demanding. Hopefully you can now relax a little. Sorry to hear about the garden diaster. I did a dumb one yesterday too. I had a video tape of my gardens dating back to 2002. I accidentally taped over a 1/2 hours worth. I had actually done that before, you would think I would learn.

Norma, have fun with the skidloader. They are handy for big tasks, although my skill with it leaves quite a lot to be desired. LOL
    I'm glad you enjoyed the flowers. I don't use any perservative. I find they usually last about 5-6 days. I sometimes add peroxide to keep the water clear.

Ei, thanks for the overwintering advice. I'd love to keep those fabulous 'Illustris' that you so generously shared.

I started dismantling some containers last night since they are predicting 35 tonight and 32 tomorrow night.

Michelle

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Well it seems that I can get into GW again. I think it is that stupid South Beach Diet add that takes over your screen that was causing the problems. Anytime that one tried to pop up my computer would lock up. Sometime the adds on this site make me crazy. And you notice that they never put the collapse or close buttons in the same place and you have to hunt for them while the dratted adds you dont want are playing away.

Eileen, thanks for the information on how you winter over your EE. Ive never had any luck with caladium and am not even going to try this year. Actually, I dont quite know what I did wrong this year but none of my caladium did well at all. BTW, you really should think about getting that abutilon in. They are as easy to winter over as coleus. Last year I dug mine out, root and top pruned them, stripped off all the leaves, repotted then sprayed for bugs. Here is a pic of what they looked like when I brought them in. The plant in the upper right of the pic is the abutilon. They all survived the experience and that way I didnt have to try to winter over a gigantic plant. Those other plants in this pic are fuchsia and plectranthus.
    {{gwi:177326}}

Cindy what a bummer about bleaching the plants. So sorry! I did something like that one time but it was with too much fertilizer. I killed a few things and am more careful now.

Brenda, so sorry youve had such a stressful summer. That is just terrible about the accident. So glad to hear that your DS is OK. Thats a bad way to learn a lesson. You must have been devastated. ~~ RE the 50 pounds!!!!! Fantastic!!! Good for you. That is just so terrific and the fact that youve made yourself an exercise room is just wonderful. You go girl! Ill bet you feel 100% better. It really is terrific to hear from you.

Michelle, I just love that flower arrangement! So pretty. Ive not brought in flowers for a while now but really should pick some today to enjoy in the house. The dahlias are looking pretty right now.

Norma, thanks for asking. We did a nice little 16 mile bicycle ride. There was quite a head wind and it slowed us down a bit but it was a lovely day for a ride.

Mary, I just LOVE that yellow, double datura! So very pretty and you are right that it will look great in my yellow container arrangement next year. Isnt it fun to dream?

Wendy, is that fuchsia Lena? looks familiar. LOL Very pretty and well grown I might add.

Eileen, oh yes I almost forgot, that rose you asked about is Bonica.

OK time to hit the shower and get some work done.

TTYL
    Deanne

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Beautiful day here - as soon as "our" math homework is done I can go out and play!

Ei, overwintering the abutilon is easy, even if you are not the Queen of Propagation like Deanne. I just dragged mine inside in the pot and cut back the top. It stayed in the basement all winter, not under the light but near it. I planted it in the ground this year, it is huge now - like a shrub. I think I may have to let it go this year, I'm not sure if I have a pot big enough for it to winter in.

Deanne, yes that is Lena - I put 2 of them in a hayrack, and they are wonderful. I think I'll start getting them ready to come in after my fuchsia lesson on Sunday. I love all of the fuchsia, but I think Sunray is my fave.

Sue, Saucy & Deanne - I have extras of these if you are interested: Dianthus 'Tiny Rubies', geranium 'Biovko' and geranium machorizm, white Siberian Iris, some tall bearded iris and a Hosta 'Gold Standard'.

Well, I think DS has finished his math, so I am free! Bye!!

-Wendy

• flowerluvr
    17 years ago

Happy Late Birthday to Wendy and Norma!
    {{gwi:177327}}

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. In retrospect, DS has always learned his lessons the hard way. If I told him not to touch the stove 'cuz it was hot, he had to touch it to make sure. Sad thing is, his mother is quite a bit the same way. Guess the hardest lessons are the ones we remember the longest.

Cindy-giant stupid gardening mistake that is haunting me to this day. Planted a bunch of Lombardy Poplars that QUICKLY grew into big ugly trees and are dying. And, I planned and executed that fiasco intentionally.

Deanne, I DO feel 100% better. I didn't realize what a funk I was in until I got eating right and taking better care of myself. I feel at least 10 years younger, and am not having any trouble sticking to my eating plan. Even DH is dropping some weight, and now notices how crappy he feels if he eats junk. Lol, it's kinda been the summer of introspection around here and that's good for everybody once in a while.

Gotta cut and run, DD is coming for supper, and DS was here first thing this morning, so I haven't exercised yet. Thanks again for being the awesome bunch of folks that you are!
    Brenda

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    17 years ago

Has everybody using Internet Explorer done an update lately? If not, do it now! What follows is an extract from an article in todays paper about a patch to fix a problem that allows someone to take control of your computer. The warnings my security software was giving me on GW were referring to something trying to take control of my computer! I had e-mailed GW about it. They never responded but the warnings stopped. I hope than means that they eliminated whatever was causing it. But I think it is wise for everyone using IE to make sure youve run a system update today!

--------
    Microsoft rushes to fix IE security flaw
    Associated Press

Seattle Microsoft Corp. rushed out a fix Tuesday for a security flaw in its Internet Explorer Web browser after attackers had begun exploiting the vulnerability to take control of computers.

The Redmond-based software maker said it was putting out the fix ahead of the next scheduled security fix release date on Oct. 10 because of the severity of the problem. The flaw carries Microsoft's highest "critical" rating.

The vulnerability in Microsoft's browser is particularly worrisome to security experts because computer users could come under attack just by visiting a website that had been manipulated to take advantage of the flaw. That, in turn, would give an attacker complete control of a user's computer, including access to e-mails, personal information and other data.

Johannes Ullrich, chief technology officer with the security research organization SANS Institute, said it appears that a couple of thousand websites have already been manipulated to launch such attacks. The attack also seems to be spreading via e-mail, he said.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Many of you are bringing in cuttings to keep over the winter. "easy as coleus" is a phrase seen often.
    OK, so I managed to kill all the coleus cuttings I took last year. I brought in a few yesterday and they are in jars of water so far. Any hints what to do so that I have a few left come spring?
    Remember, I hate coleus...

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Hello from the Circle City! (now let's see how many people know where that's at.) I am having a fabu-fabu time as well as learning lots here. Oh the stories I could tell if this weren't such a public place! I might have to do an email to you all because some of these are just too good to keep to myself.

Today we did a tour of several nurseries and garden centers. It was a drop-dead gorgeous day until about 5:00 pm, but by that time I was sitting in a Starbucks with a buddy, catching up on my caffiene ration for the day.

I see I missed Wendy and Norma's birthdays. Belated wishes to you and I will do a card when I'm not on a "borrowed" wireless signal. My hotel uses an ethernet connection and this laptop is not set up for that, but when I carried it over to the window, there were four other networks in the area that I can get access to, so I have to use the 'puter on the bed by the window!

Cindy, my sympathies on your watering experience. That sounds so much like something I would do; in fact, I'm amazed I haven't done it already.

OK, I'm waiting for someone to call me with dinner plans so I'm going to keep this one short. BTW, all of the former customers that I've contacted have been very receptive to me visiting them tomorrow, so that should be a chock-full day, topped off by a long drive home. Anyway, I do miss my daily visits here and am looking forward to getting back into my routine soon.

Ei, I saw your post about Trudi. I'm planning to go to her presentation at her farm on October 22nd. Any chance you would be interested in hiking out this way? I'd love to have you go with me and I think you would enjoy Autumn Drive - it's about two miles of farms on a beautiful country road, all selling all sorts of goodies and treasures. Let me know! And if anyone else is interested in heading this way you're also welcome to join me!

Hi to everyone!

V.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all,

It is 50 degrees out and foggy this AM. It reminds me of our mornings at Maries farm. The sun is just beginning to break through. I should grab my camera and do something with this light.

Brenda, I feel for you. My DD was the same way. Always having to do things the hard way. I mentioned recently that she had to have her gallbladder out when she was only 19 years old. Well, she didnt go on to college and lost her job (she never got to work on time) so was without health insurance after age 18. Doug and I bought her a three month policy to tide her over until she got a job with insurance. Well, she didnt bother to pursue getting a job and was just lying around this house for months and when she got a job she opted not to pay for health insurance. (Arrrrggghh can you imagine my frustration?) Anyway, sure enough, she wound up having this surgery with no insurance and by gum after all the warnings and bail outs wed done up to that point we didnt pay for it. A very expensive and awful lesson for a 19 almost 20 year old to pay for. ~~ RE your weight loss, that is so terrific that you are feeling so much better too. I tell people that I feel 20 years younger than I did before I lost the weight. I was seriously incapacitated with my knees and back and now I can hardly remember what that was like. Every once in a while I get a back twinge to remind me to keep up with my ab and back exercises.

Marie, as soon as I get some roots on the cuttings I pot them up in two inch pots and pinch them out. When I first take the cuttings I refresh the water and check the stems daily because you can get some rot on some of the stems and one rotten stem will ruin the whole jar full of cuttings. If I get one that is going bad I cut it back to healthy tissue and put it in a separate glass of water so even if I lose it I wont lose all the rest of the cuttings. I think that Eden doesnt bother with the water step and just starts her cuttings in soil. I dont know if she does community trays or separate pots. Well have to hope she sees this and gets back with some of her culture tips. Oh yes, one more thing. Try not to ever keep coleus where it is going to get below 60 degrees. They absolutely HATE the cold.

Hey V! Sounds like you are having a fabu time there! I wish I wasnt teaching that weekend of the 22nd or Id try to fly out and go with you. Wouldnt that be fun?

Oh yes, Wendy and Saucy and maybe Sue, it now is looking like it is going to rain on Sunday. They are saying intermittent showers so Im still game if you are. Wendy I could use a geranium thanks. If the weather is looking really bad Ill get your stuff dug out Saturday. Maybe we can pop over to The Mixed Border and see if they are having any fall sales? What time looks good for you to get here?

OK Ive got to get off my bum and get to the gym. Ive somehow managed to gain about four pounds with all the socializing Ive done in the last month or so and that MUST come off.

Later all
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Morning all!~

Well reviewing Deanne's coleus comments was a help. Yup, our house is kept around 60F all winter, so that must be what happened. I'll have to think about all this and see if it will be possible to heat one area of the house on a steady basis. It would have to be a place where the cats are not allowed!

Last night was full of thunderstorms and the satellite dish was out of commission periodically. What a pain. Seems a tower for broad band is impossible geographically in our situation.

Having a daughter far away has me in a new found agitated state. I cannot be a part of the family in a way I want to be. Visits at Christmas look impossible, financially and strategically. I spoke to young GS by phone yesterday, but that is certainly not as satisfying as being there! Both DD and GS were home with bad colds. :(

Yes Brenda, having another rural Idyll is lots of fun! Good to have you back!!!

More work on the mildewed basement today. Oh joy! We aren't even remotely near the stage of beautification.

'bug

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the praises on my uitily/plant room. I am appreciating both it, and Nolon's abilty to build it with all those recycled windows. :-) And the cement floor with a drain for the water to run out.
    I keep rearranging plants, and am keeping my back in a constant turmoil. Trubby didn't help it any when he made me almost fall this morning. He has taken to hanging around my feet too closely, and I don't notice him until I almost fall over him. :-(

Honey, sorry that your DH is reluctant to having your plants in the basement. I would have a problem if Nolon wasn't so tolerant of all that I chose to do.
    Yargh! 6 deer in your back yard. I can sure identify with that. I have never tried any commercial repellents. I would rather tolerate them than go through all that chore of spraying everything, and getting chigger bites in the process.

Eden, your birthday pic to Norma looks like it could be one of my flowerbeds, except I no longer have any volunteer cosmos.

I'm glad Myrtle the turtle's pic was enjoyed.

Eileen, I love your swan pic! Lol on you wanting to be the goat. I have always said I am the scape-goat. :-)
    I am so ashamed that I never thought to ask the friend about her carpel tunnel surgery. I just cannot remember things. And I see her regularly! She even was at the Golden Year's class tuesday, and I also forgot to pass on a message to her. I wish she had internet so I could e-mail here . ( She has a computer, but is not on line. )
    Yep, that husband/wife joke is funny. I have heard it before too.

Brenda, what a nice discription of the Idylls..." a warm, fuzzy blanket". Very apt!
    Wow! What a trying summer that you had. I am so glad that your DS is okay! I do hope he will have a lasting memory of the accident, and be very careful from now on.
    And it's so good that your MIL was uninjured in her accident. Sorry about your mom's health problems, and your DD's romance woes. What a drag that the puppy died!
    But then, there is the good news about the purchase of the neighboring land. So nice that the man's daughters cared enough for you too lower the price.
    Yey! on the weight loss! Good for you! And your 'get-away' sounds special.
    I am glad you shared all this with us. You are not a "dork" ! And we missed you, too.

Re; the plants indoors. There are more, all over the house. Only a few rooms have none in them. I counted the other day, and there were 60, but I have brought more into the livingroom since then...:-) I have 23 african violets. Twenty of them are in my bedroom.
    {{gwi:177328}}

Woody, I hope you can get the sunroom. I have long wished for a 'real' plant room off our dinningroom, but have about gave up on that ever happening. Oh, the white-flowered vine is a clem. It may be a Virgin's Bower. I have one, but it doesn't get as full of blooms as yours, and it isn't fragrant....at least I have never detected it.
    That is scary about your MIL. It could become a real tragedy if she wandered off while on a trip, or suffered a bad fall. Funny about her remembering Misty.

Wendy...are you teasing me with those lovely fuchsia blooms? LOL !

Mary, that is a beautiful passion flower !

Sorry I didn't post any Birthday pics. I have been fighting the doldrums, again. My pain med has not helped as I had hoped it would.

Cindy, I'm sorry about your plant snafu. I try to keep labels on jugs , so I won't do something like that. It would be very easy to do( the mistake, not the labeling). I hope you can replace those that you lost.
    I hope you've got a better night's rest.

Eileen, what a shock about the prize iris tubers! Live and learn! I'll bet you know what those "funky leaves" and "ugly roots" are now...:-)
    That is very good advice that you gave on the storage of dormant roots.

Deanne, I have never had the courage to strip all the leaves off the plants I bring in, but I understand why you do it.

Woody, I checked for updates on my computer, but it is done automatically on this new computer. There were none available to be done. But thanks for the warning.

V, I did a Google on "Circle City" and found more than one, but I am presuming it is the one in Indiana that you are speaking of?

Marian

• flowerluvr
    17 years ago

Oh, Deanne-Your DD and my DS should probably never, ever cross paths, lol! With everything else that happened since spring, I forgot to mention that DS lost his GOOD job with GREAT insurance.......because he couldn't get his fanny to work on time!!!!! It took him a month to tell me. His sister had already clued me in, she figured it was something I'd ought to know, bless her heart. So, I just kept waiting to see how long it would take him. When he did tell me, he told me not to worry, he had enough money saved up to take care of all his bills for a month. Gee, a whole month-no reason to worry, right?!?! Said it was going to be "the summer of Phil". Now, anyone who's a Seinfeld fan might recall that George ended up in physical therapy during the Summer of George. I pointed that out to DS, and he told me I worry too much. And, it was about 6 weeks later that he called me from JAIL after his wreck. He sat there for several hours to work up the gumption to call me. Bless their hearts...I guess as long as they're okay and they learn something, that's the main thing, but geesh!
    My brother (a year and a half older than me) is engaged to a lady who has a nine year old girl and 5 year old triplets-two boys and a girl. Plus, DB has a 13 year old daughter. My hat is off to the both of them, I don't think I could do it again. The thing that kills me, is I have GOOD kids, lol! I know some of the kids that graduated with mine, and they don't have it together at all. Don't know if their parents are just numb with insanity or just don't care. One has got his checkbook overdrawn $400, and keeps going to a check advance place to keep things floating along, and paying tons of overdraft charges.

'bug-I've often wondered what I'd do if one of the kids moved far away. Lol, even tho they drive me crazy sometimes, I'd sure miss being able to see them often, and it's gotta be hard to not be around for the grandkids growing up :( ((Bug))

V-okay, I'll bite. My guess for the Circle City is Madison, WI. I only guess that because once on a trip we got off course, and ended up in Madison, and DH was grousing that you can't get outta that city, it just keeps running around in a circle :)

Just finished exercising, and need to run to the chiropractor's office. I had some inserts made for my walking shoes and I need to go pick them up.
    Take care, all!
    Brenda

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

See how easy it was to come back, Brenda? Now don't go away without a peep for that long ever again...lol.

Kids can be stupid but most, like your son are usually lucky. I work with a guy who lost his son and only child in a drunk driving accident. His son, a SR in HS at the time was the driver and the drunk. Not only did he kill himself but a carload of friends and a person in the other car that he hit head on. His parents had to suffer through years of lawsuits while grieving for his loss at the same time. If kids gave any thought at all to what kind of pain they would cause their families in a situation like this maybe they would think twice about drinking and driving. My co-worker's wife deals with her grief by going around and speaking to HS groups about drinking and driving drunk.

I don't have alot of time but just wanted to pop in and say hello. Tomorrow Steve Silk is coming over to see the garden in the morning. I'm counting on him being a real gardener and understanding that things don't usually look their best around here at the end of September...lol. Once he leaves I'm going to start some serious reworking of a few areas. Best to do it now while all the problems are fresh in my memory.

Sue

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Hey Sue, a photo please of you & Steve together please!

Thanks Brenda for the hugs. I needed those today. Both kids have lived away for years, but it never seemed so important before! Even with phone calls, email and a couple of visits, I'll never participate in this family's life the way I would like. GRUMP!!!

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

((((((Marie)))))) I feel your pain, and empathize! My GDs have never lived close.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

I cannot STAND missing my idyll time!!I am going nuts-no time to blab: ( BUT....Ei I just have to tell you since IU3 I have a newfound love for mushrooms!lololol(snort)...In fact when I was at that last nursery in Chicago before the margaritas I did buy a pair of mushrooms and two weeks later while on vacation I bought ANOTHER. Your friend Dottie has a great creative mind-be sure to tell her that: )...ask what she thinks of some wooley thyme for that combo. If the rocks aren't huge, w. thyme will eventually cover them. Oooo I'm getting inspired: ) We didn't ruin your mushroom-we just made SURE you'd never forget us each time you pass the shroom by!lol

I'm not sure when I'll have time to get back here...Chris rented a video so I'm off....

WONDERFUL to see Brenda and Woody back! Brenda your story of the summer you had was unbelieveable-how scary about your son. I always hope my boys will be responsible-don't we all.

I am so bad I even still owe Deanne and I think V? a bday card...hopefully I can get into my card factory in the next couple days...sorry guys.

~Babs

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County