Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmary

Idyll #333 Continuing the Fall

gardeningmary
16 years ago

I love Chelone's title and hope she won't mind giving it an Idyll #.

Mary

Comments (100)

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning

Today we're doing something fun and spontaneous. I'm taking David out of school this afternoon to drive to Ithaca college to hear a concert by Francois Rabbath. He is an extraordinary double bass player with the most amazing tone. With David's new interest in the bass it should be a great evening. As Ithaca is a couple of hours away we're heading down after lunch, stopping along the way (it is a pretty drive around the finger lakes with lots of wineries and nurseries) and will have time for a mexican dinner before the concert. The weather is perfect too - what more could you ask for.

GB - I managed a couple of lessons over the summer and am getting back in practice now ready to start up again. My teacher let me know she is happy to teach whenever I'd like to set upa lesson. With the garden tour over I'm enjoying having (a little) time to play again.

Martie - Annie so far is loving 8th Grade and told me she thinks it's going to be one of her best years. Monday was a good day for her as she got the first results back from tests and homework and she had aced them all. Math has always been a challenge for her but so far it's smooth sailing.

David has a really fun 5th grade teacher and gets to change class for a few subjects this year. He has come back full of what they've done each day. Whenever the work gets particularly challenging or tiring his teacher puts on music and has the whole class get up and dance for a few mintues before getting back to their task. I think school is much more fun now a days.

Deanne - I'm really tempted to head out with Doug this weekend but it would mean farming the children out (DH is gone) and having them miss Saturday's music lessons. I'm afraid I'll have to say no. I'll be thinking of you all. Is Rochester still regular gig for Doug?

Kathy - I think next year we should charter a private jet and have it swing by to pick you, Denise and T up for our next Idyll gathering. I guess one of us just needs to win the lottery first.

Time to make tracks and MapQuest my route

Mary

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

Who's talking about floaters? Nurse Ratchett here!...nevermind: )

I am just hating how swept up I've been with 'run here, run there,do that', blah blah.... It's busy season with Cross country practices three nights a week,parent meetings,AJ up to his eyeballs in homework-up to three hours a day and he's just in sixth grade. It's bad when his bedtime reading material is his health book. Also my mom has a new right hip as of last Thurs. so we've been to the hospital for visits-she's doing great and so well that they considered letting her out a couple days early but she really needs one of us with her the first two days home;they have stretched her stay till Sat.
    Too much about me but here's what has been slinking through my brain on the days I wanted to post but didn't have time....

Marie I am so sorry about Charlotte-I was glad to see the pic of her with all the snow -that was always one of my favorites of her-I just loved her thick black furry face and her snowy snout. I imagine it's going to be hard for much more than a week.

Mary-how lucky you already got paid! I don't get the first check until Oct.: ( I bet you had a great time back in England with your family.(To be truthful I still need to do much reading here!) Relaxed and laid back is the ONLY way I envison you for a garden tour or talk~It's just 'you'!

Sue as I expected your gardens look wonderful and how lucky that you had a crew of Idyllers to polish up! Talk about a great spread of food to boot! Deanne I always love your descriptions of these get togethers-you need to do a food review column for an entertainment magazine.

V I'm appalled at the way you're being treated at your work involving your bereavement days off-that's just wrong. It makes you wonder what the heck is wrong with people to do that. Sorry they 'forgot' your bday-it's not fun to feel overlooked.

Michelle that's a pretty arrangement-you always do such nice ones.
    I'm scared about how I'm going to find room for overwintering what I have outside in pots...now that it feeels like summer again I hoep I have more time to get things acclimated for indoors.

Chelone so it sounds like your mom has had yet another setback? The hardest part has to be that you have no idea how long and to what the extent this will go on for.

Really the only reason I was able to get here is that we had a compressed school day due to a faculty meeting. Unfortunately it's time to supervise homework and help quiz AJ for a test tomorrow. Have a great day everybody!

Denise-THANKS for the parcel! I will get the check in the mail for shipping by tomorrow. I am afraid I will kill the sans. because it's a neglect loving plant. I always kill those types...I will hold strong and try to ignore it as much as possible: ) How often do I water it at the beginning?

Hang loose.
    ~Babs

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

We had an inch of rain yesterday, so I spent a little time in the garden shed messing with seeds I want to save, repotting some houseplants and straightening up. In the summer things just get dumped in there.

Thanks for the kind words about my floral arranging. I havent taken classes.

Chelone, I am going to attempt to recover the tractor seat of DHs recent purchase. It could be interesting. If it turns out somewhat reasonable looking, Ill post a picture. The mudroom is actually worse as some of the plants have made it that far and no further. I can see where your mums situation is wearing. My parents new house is ½ block from the cemetery. My dad told me that the next time he moves it will there, I certainly hes right.

bug, Im sure each t-shirt tells about an interest of the young woman. Hopefully, the process brought some measure of comfort. I find it interesting to see what people wear across their chest.

Mary, enjoy your day with David.

Babs, it sounds like life is moving pretty fast for you these days. Im glad you could pop in.

Hopefully, you all dont see my picture on TV tonight for strangling a coworker.

Later
    Michelle

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

The mailman put a card in our box telling me that I have a parcel at the postoffice that needs signed for. I called to see what it is, and was informed that it is from _ _ _ _ in Canada. So thanks, Marie. I will pick it up when we go out Saturday morning....or maybe sooner if I get to feeling like making that rough drive on our dirt road.
    The puzzle that I started the other day is almost finished...about 8 more pieces to put in.
    Nolon is busy puttering around outside, and hasn't helped with it.

My Sis called, and we shared lots of laughs. I wish we lived closer. She is such a 'card'.

Our summer has returned. It is too hot again ! And dry.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Very glad to hear the Garden Conservancy tour was a success, as evidenced by Deanne's photos and commentary. Thanks for those informative posts, Deanne. I'm seeing that Miscanthus 'Gold Bar' everywhere now, including Sue's garden if I'm not mistaken, and am wondering how it had previously escaped my notice. No doubt due to swearing off the big grasses for a couple years, since it requires a team of oxen to split and divide. This 'Gold Bar' is said to stay small and is reputedly a slow grower. Two have arrived here and were planted in the past few weeks. Fall is our spring, so there's been lots of shuffling, planting, repotting, etc. Sowed some of the splashy swiss chard yesterday to dot around this winter/spring. I'm also expecting an order in a few days of some asters and Japanese anemones. It's bananas and agaves for the Eastern idyllers and the standard fall guys for me. Something about the grass is greener...That's so ironic about the peonies, Kathy. There's still the local diehards here who pour ice chips on peonies to eke out a pitiful flower.

By July I'm sick of looking at my own garden but haven't been successful in keeping garden-viewing dates. I did attend a self-guided Venice, Calif. garden tour a few summers ago, kind of an artists' colony just south of Santa Monica. Most of the gardens were attached to small, single-family bungalows (like mine) so were more about creative hardscape, gates, etc. One little bungalow had redone the front handkerchief-size lawn completely over into a pond, so the walkway to the front door was now a bridge, with koi swimming underneath, water plants, etc.

Mary, I enjoyed the link to Rabbath and wonder which recording of his you'd especially recommend. What nice flwrs, Michelle, and wainscotting too!

Sounds like everyone is swamped, struggling to keep the three-legged stool upright. Two memorial services this week, my da's birthday, a wedding trip looming, and the deadlines are piling up. Teetering but still upright, barely, and signing off for now -- Denise.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I was just reminded why it is fun to join this forum... The humor that is shared! Check out this news item...and don't forget to carry your ID next time you go shopping. It is so hard for people to lighten up.

UK

Supermarket staff refused to sell alcohol to a white-haired 72-year-old man - because he would not confirm he was over 21.

Check-out staff at Morrisons in West Kirby, Wirral, demanded Tony Ralls prove he was old enough to buy his two bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Mr Ralls asked to see the manager who put the wine back on the shelf.

The grandfather-of-three said he had refused to confirm he was over 21 as it was a "stupid question."

Mr Ralls, a retired insurance firm regional manager, said he expected the store manager to resolve the situation but he was disappointed.

"I felt like saying 'What do I look like? Are you a fool?'

"He picks up the wine and, in the manner of a child taking home his ball, says 'Well, we won't serve you'."

The pensioner abandoned his shopping on the conveyor belt and left the store - but not before demanding a complaints form and phone number for Morrisons' headquarters.

Mr Ralls said: "It is bureaucracy gone mad. If the check-out lady, who was about 40, had asked me with a twinkle in her eye perhaps I would not have been so tetchy.

"But she asked me the question with a perfectly straight face and I said I wouldn't dignify the question with an answer.

"And if the manager had explained that all the staff had to ask everyone because they had previously been fined, but said I was clearly over 21, it would have been fine - but he showed no sense of humour."

Mr Ralls added that he felt embarrassed to return to the supermarket and wanted an apology for "the stupid and unnecessary confrontation."

He added: "I applaud any efforts to stop kids being served and standing on street corners getting drunk. But this was just totally stupid."

A Morrisons spokesman said: "We take our responsibility with regard to selling alcohol very seriously and all our stores operate the Task 21 scheme, which addresses the difficulties our staff face in being able to determine if a customer is legally old enough to buy alcohol.

"To further limit any element of doubt staff at the West Kirby store are required to ask anyone buying alcohol to confirm that they are over 21."

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Good morning!

Yes, Denise, that is Miscanthus 'Gold Bar' and it has lived up to it's reputation of being a slow growing dwarf. Over the past couple of years I've evicted most of the large Miscanthus varieties from my garden. My part shade conditions just weren't to their liking and by fall they would be a floppy, unsightly mess. I still have a few-'Morning Light', 'Sarabande', and another that is supposed to be a dwarf 'Variegata' but needs to be cut way back in June and still gets large and flops. Grasses add such great texture so I try to use as many varieties as possible.

Mary, how did your day with David go? What fun and a break from the routine can never hurt. Wish you could join us on Saturday. Too much fun lately.

Babs, I mean nurse Ratchett, great to see you pop in. I don't know how you people who work and have kids can keep up. Does anyone else remember having homework like kids have today? I never did. What's up with that?

T, if I had twins who started walking I'd be running in the opposite direction...lol.

OK, must run. Enjoy your day!

Sue

• chelone
    16 years ago

I believe 18 yr. olds should be allowed to drink. I was! and then "they", in their infinite wisdom, decided 18 was "too young". Give me a break. Our country is one of 4 in the world that requires 21 yrs. on the planet before allowing someone who HAS THE RIGHT TO VOTE and DIE in combat, sign a legal contract, and operate a motor vehicle, the right to legally purchase and consume an alcoholic beverage. I think that's insulting to young people. I certainly don't think it teaches them anything about responsibility with respect to consumption. So, I'm not in the least bit surprised at the response of the thick-headed, narrow minded manager and staff at the store. They WERE stupid! (I roll my eyes every time I encounter such foolishness).

I don't believe in loading kids down with homework, either! too many kids wind up with the equivilent of a 12 hour work day by the time they finish it all. What does THAT teach? what toll does it exact on young minds? What toll does that sort of workload exact on family time? We wonder why there are so many fat little kids... we blame the food, we blame the TV, the computer... how much time do they actually have to go outdoors and run around? Like Sue, I don't recall that sort of out of class workload. Sure, there was some reading, "reports", and usually arithmetic and math. But not hours of it, every night of the week. All I can tell you is that friends from the shop were so exasperated by it all they yanked their kid out of public school and home schooled him; yup, well ahead of "grade level" after struggling in the mainstream for too long. And they have a lot more fun with their sailboat, too!

Grasses... among my very favorites. Now that the trees have been removed for the garage there is more sun and I'll be able to indulge in them more... evergreens, too. Unlike Sue, I have a "massive estate"... and can actually indulge in the BIG items. I'm still agog at the notion of pouring ice water over peonies to get a piddly flower... LOL. They're "idiot-proof" in my area of the country. Old Man Winter bestows some benefits, afterall. :)

My darling Spencer managed to get into another border skirmish the other night. Last night the helpmeet actually saw the other kitty. He called to it (grey and white), but while curious it was unwilling to come over to him. Looks to be in nice condition and we have an idea to whom it belongs so will ask about the name and whether or not kitty has come home with any "dings" in the past week/two. It will all settle out once they both get used to the notion that there's plenty of territory for everyone.

The garage doors look great. I haven't had the gumption to get painting just yet, but it shouldn't take too long once I get rollin' on a system.

Can't wait to hear about the concert, Mary. I applaud you on the special day with David... those are truly priceless and memorable times. I have fond and vivid memories of such times with Mum.

I should be mentioning more people by name and commenting on the many funnies that make me smile/chuckle, but well... YOU know.

;)

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

Just a quick howdy to say I'm still on the planet :) Since we got back from Michigan, it's been a flurry of activity around here. DD is moving back home for the winter, so there's been painting to do. She did most of it, but I pitched in when we got back. Looks like an early harvest this year. They're running beans today. The guys decided they want to utilize the yield monitor in the combine the way it's MEANT to be used. That left me to track down software so I can plug the memory card into the computer, then plug said card IN, get the info from last year off, create the reports, and put in the new data for this year. I was notified of all this yesterday. I pulled it off, right up to screeching up to the combine just as they were beginning to run beans, jammed the card in the monitor, made sure my info was there, then ran for my life, lol! WHEW. I have a feeling it's going to be a crazy fall. Right now I have NO hope of getting caught up with everyone, but please know I think of you all, and miss chatting.
    Take care everyone!
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda! Painting should happen after the garden season, don't you think? Actually, I see some painting in my near future as well. DH leaves next week for Paris, NOT ME! So I think I'll try to get some walls spruced up while he's away.

Anyone here grow Vitex? Mine is in its second year and looks really nice. I hope next year is even better! I'll try to get a photo of it tomorrow. It must have liked sunny and dry this summer.

Supposed to feed my friend's 2 monster cats twice a day over the weekend.

In case you didn't guess, I still see Charlotte here and there in house and home. I wonder how long that will last. We also seem to have a mystery black & white cat outside. It's fine now, but I just hate wild cats suffering through our winters.

Glad you got your package Marian. That owl puzzle is murder.

So tired, that's all she wrote.
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Chelone, I had an interesting discussion with a guy who grew up in Holland. The drinking age was 14, but the driving age was 18. As he put it, "you got all the stupid stuff behind you before you were old enough to drive, yeah?" (Can you read that with a Dutch accent?) There's a hundred thousand reasons why it wouldn't work here, but there is a certain logic to it.

I'm in a little better mood at work now, after a couple of good heart-to-hearts with the bossman. He agrees that there is an attitude issue in the office and is determined to get it turned around soon. I was pleased to hear that. I guess I'll work another day or two.

In Brenda's honor, I was admiring the color of the ripe soybean fields this evening. They're such a rich caramel color and they contrast well against a deep blue sky. But I don't think that Benjamin Moore will be adding "Autumn Bean Field" to their color collection anytime soon. No romance to that name!

Tonight the Cubs have the night off, so I don't have to go to bed wearing my lucky Cubs hat. DH gets to go to the game tomorrow - I am IMMENSELY jealous.

Just like you don't tell labor and delviery horror stories to a pregnant woman, I won't tell T about our friend at church whose twins started walking not too long ago. Brian (the dad)came to church a couple of weeks ago with his hair sticking straight up. We decided it must have been a tough night/morning. Last Sunday, it seemed like between he and his wife, they needed about six more hands. Brian's actually a couple of years older than me and these toddling twins are his first children.

Hi to everyone else. The dog next to me is snoring and I should prepare to do the same!

V.

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good evening

Today was a full day at work, then Book Club where I was leading a discussion on 1000 Splendid Suns by the author Khallid Houssein of the Kite Runner. It was our first meeting of the year with a great turnout, good discussion and great food and wine. The book is certainly worth a read even though it is emotinally draining at times. We also voted in more books for the rest of the year which include a fictional account of the life of architect Frank LLoyd Wright.

Yesterday was fabulous. David and I had a perfect drive down to Ithaca, stopping on the way at a state park to admire scenary and the turning leaves, and skip stones into the lake. We arrived in good time and had a Mexican meal together before heading to the concert hall. The performance was simply one of the best I have ever attended. Rabbath is a master of the bass and achieved the most beautiful tones and effects. I never knew the instrument could be so moving. One piece sounded just like and Indian Sitar, another a beautiful rendition of Vivaldi, the next jazz. What talent!! The concert hall was packed to the gills and the atmosphere electric. At the end the applause brought the house down and Rabbath played 3 encores. David was completely mesmerized and told me afterward it was one of the best 10 hours of his whole life! High praise indeed from an 11 year old.

Denise, one of our favorite Rabbath CD's is "Around the World". I'm not sure if it's still available but it will change your understanding of bass playing. Cool stuff indeed.

I am totally fried and will have to save comments for tomorrow. Nite all.

Mary

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Goodness, Im sitting here at 6:13AM and the sky is just starting to lighten up. No garden work at five for me for the rest of the season. I worked outside all day yesterday and went in the house at what I thought was about 6PM and it was only 5PM. Grrrrrr Ive just about finished polishing up the front of the house and will start on the back yard today. Its so sad to know its all going to be gone really soon! I wish you could all see the dahlias right now. Theyre wonderful. Its so fun to have this huge display of enormous flowers at the end of the season. Also, the CG is ready to BURST into bloom! There must be 200 buds ready to open in the next couple days. Hopefully it will oblige and do its thing for our get together tomorrow.

Well, Mary, what can I say except I surely wish Id had a mom like you! Wow, what a magical day for David. He will never, ever forget this for the rest of his life.

V. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better about the work situation. Did the boss person say how hes planning on turning the attitude problems around?

Bug, love the pics from town! Reminds me of our visit last year. That pink brug is wonderful. ~ LOl about that story RE carding the older fellow. Believe it or not they carded Douglas at the grocery last week when we bought some wine. Give me a break! I agree, ridiculous.

Brenda, Great to hear from you! Im looking forward to hearing about the harvest.

Denise, Ive been planting a few of those ornamental kales about lately. I found this really neat one with huge, dark purple, ruffled, leaves. Ive also done a container with them(can you believe it?) One of my neighbors stopped and said that I couldnt possibly have any room to plant even one more thing. I told her there was always room for one more and if there wasnt there was a whole lot of lawn left to dig up. LOL

Michelle, I covet your garden shed and potting area. Have you done any new stained glass work recently?

Cindy, here are a few pics from Monique and Les as requested.

{{gwi:178215}}

{{gwi:178216}}

{{gwi:178218}}

{{gwi:178219}}

{{gwi:178220}}

{{gwi:178221}}

{{gwi:178222}}

{{gwi:178223}}

For Monique a close up of the flowers from Caryopteris Snow Fairy
    {{gwi:178225}}

Hi to everyone, have a great day

Deanne

• galium
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    It's been so long since I've posted so much happening. I still need to go back and read all the posts at least on this thread.

My daughter is still laid up with her broken foot. It doesn't seem to be healing. She hasn't been out of her apartment, except for Dr. visits, since she fell. She just hired someone to come in and clean for her. I was going over there several times a week until she developed bronchitis. I can't be around anyone with a communicable illness especially when it involves the pulmonary system. I've been working diligently to clean and paint one of our bedrooms so that she can come here for a few days a week.

My little sister in AZ is doing well after her surgery. I'm so thankful that the mass wasn't malignant.

My posies look sad haven't had the time to tend to them. I brought in my orchids. Still have cuttings and other plants to bring in. I'm actually looking forward to the first frost. Hopefully it will kill the white flies in my veggie garden. They have devastated just about everything.

Pinetree seeds had a sale on some of their plants. I ordered 6 daylilies for $3.75 each. They were only one fan each but I don't mind small plants. The daylilies are 'Darly Anita', 'Night Embers', 'Siloam Double Classic', 'Storm Of The Century', 'Pinetree Grapa' and 'Crystal Pinot'.

I belong to the 'Barnes and Nobel' online book club. Since I enjoy Sci Fi and Paranormal I read those books recommended. Just finished 'Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy' what a hoot. Our local book club doesn't read any of the newer authors. How many times can one read the 'Iliad'.........

Thought I'd post a few pics of our Labor Day week-end at my sisters dairy farm in northern PA.

New born calf
    {{gwi:178227}}

Dinner time
    {{gwi:178231}}

Elm Brook Farm
    {{gwi:178232}}

Have a wonderful day
    Mariann

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Deanne, all the pics from Monique's are great but that one with the mirror reflection and the Persicaria is just superb. Suitable for framing for sure. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I was so impressed by my Charles Grimaldi that I was out taking pictures of it at 6:30 this morning. It's filled with flowers and the fragrance is heavenly. We're looking at a stretch of unseasonably warm weather here so the tropicals should keep on truckin' for at least a little while longer.

Speaking of labor and deliveries and older parents, a co-worker's wife is being induced this morning. He's 51 and this is baby #2, #1 is only two years old. Personally I think people having kids at that age is crazy but it seems to be becoming more of a trend. Wife is younger of course. Better them than me.

OK, off to see what lurks in the trenches.

Sue

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'm so glad for the early morning outing to Monique & Les' place! Thanks for sharing Deanne! The gardens have filled in so well since IU met there! The Cotinus Golden Spirit...the coleus tilt-a-whirl with the phormium, the containers. I love Snow Fairy even without the blooms. Someone please remind me of the name of the variegated plant in the second photo background. I am trying it in the flats here but forgot its name.

This is the Vitex I spoke of last night. I just took it's picture a little while ago before the sun was up all the way.
    {{gwi:178234}}

Here with the second round of delphiniums.
    {{gwi:178236}}

And here for fun, a photo of Reed being given a bath by Indy. He giggled and giggled.
    {{gwi:178238}}

Yesterday I brought home some shade area plants to try: palm sedge (Carex muskingumensis 'Oehme'), a bamboo nitida, kirengeshoma koreana, Chelone Pink Temptation, Tricytis Moonlight Treasure, Spiranthes cernua odorata...and others. I was given an Angelica pachycarpa but pretty as the foliage is, it is certainly not for my zone! (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59980/)

Mary, what fun! I taught French for several years at Ithaca HS and of course took in lots of music at Ithaca College. It was a fun time we had there! Moosewood Restauraunt was opening at the time, we enjoyed the birding at Sapsucker Woods, camping , hiking and water falls...truly a special area for us. There are interesting gardens at Cornell University as well. I saw my first "fringe tree" (Chionanthus virginicus) growing there! I'm so glad the concert was a joy for you both.

The day begins!
    'bug

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Good morning all...

Marie, I still haven't picked up the puzzle fron the P.O., but your mention of it being an owl and "murder", is intriguing !
    Ooooo, the sight of a dog licking 'anyone' in/by the mouth almost gags me !!!

Re older parents....My father was 54 when I was born, but then , my mother was 21 years younger. The 2 of them raised 5 children with no problem. I was the next to the youngest. Maybe it was easier then, since they were farm folk.( But it was also during the Depression, when we were all young.)

Mariann, I love the farm pics. Thanks. I noticed that some of our neighbors have new calves now...including the goat raising cousin. Also at least one new kid (goat).

All of the yard and garden pics are lovely. We still have a lot of beauty in the yard and on the deck....espacially on the deck. I dread having to lose that deck view, but most of it will be in the utility/plant room.

Fall is already showing some color:
    {{gwi:178240}}

Marian

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Images of a juggler sitting on a 3-legged wobbly stool come to mind here why would that be, LOL?

Babs how great to hear from you! and good to hear about your Mom & her new hip it gives me hope re my Dads projected new one too; Im a bit nervous I confess (as thats how my Mom had her stroke 4 years ago). . . . my head says okay, but ya just have that lingering worry, right? I truly hope he will spring back as though it sounds like your Mom is doing (I suspect shes a wee bit younger than he).

Great to hear you pop in too, Brenda hope youll enjoy your DDs stay with you.

bug Ive grown vitex for 2 years and in my zone 7/6 its done incredible. I just love it I think Cynthia grows it as well. It flowers on new growth like buddleias I think and Ive deadheaded it when I can; but it just has been stalwart for me, even in neglect & this drought. For its second summer it's about 7 feet tall now (from a little 12" twig I got from Forest Farm spring of '06) The one Ive got is cultivar "Shoals Creek" those great photos of yours look more purple than mine great color from both though!

Mary that sounds like one special day w/ David I bet its one he will remember forever.

Deanne aaah, breathtaking of Monique & Less gardens as always but you really have such a terrific eye to capture the unusual vignette I love that reflecting mirror pic w/ the persicaria! Has Les been painting more pots? Theyre all so matching & terrific colors! What fantastic shrub borders.

Mariann nice to hear from you Im sorry to hear your DD is still having such a recovery problem wow, all from foot, uh?

Well, gotta run Finally, Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Our world went instantly from green to golden with the frost last Friday. The harvest is about to begin and things are getting exciting here. The "new" tractor is what Rick likes to call a "big dog" Weve been cleaning it up, including recovering the seat, so with it getting dark by 8:00, Ive had no gardening time this week. We are having above normal temps here lately with a high of 88 yesterday. Its very breezy also, but that keeps the asian lady beetles from sitting on you.

I was looking through some garden photos from just last year and I was surprised how much things have grown and matured just in one season.

Interesting, Sues out taking pictures at 6:30 a.m. and its dark here at that hour.

Deanne, thanks for sharing the lovely pictures from Moniques garden. I really thought the mirror was a picture. It just shows how incredible her garden is. No stained glass this year, Im just not in the mood. Too many garden projects in my mind and not enough time. The childrens garden is at a stand still right now. I need Rick to do some work with the skidloader and that hasnt happened yet.

I need to find a place to add a mirror to my garden.

The vitex is lovely.

Enjoy your day

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

One of DH's many hobbies is playing the electric guitar. There are many things I like more....but he sent me these two URLs and I must say this kid has talent. So if you have a teen ager who just mopes around listening and playing music, do not deny that he has talent!

Try this Pachelbel Canon below.

Or Vivaldi's Four Seasons: Summer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lwwsbLeqvnI

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Hello All!!!

I am sorry I have been absent....lots going on here. Work is busy and school is in full swing and I'm trying to get back into my walking routine....

I sent my first collection letter today. Made me think of the comments here on collection calls. My letter was stern, but I used manners. I hadn't considered this part of the business.....I'm not a collections type if you know what I mean....

Tonight I did something fun for dinner - I went to the local farm and bought 3 ears of each kind of corn that she had and steamed them up for a taste testing....a newer variety called Marai won over Butter and Sugar, and Silver Queen. Silver Queen has always been my favorite but she might get knocked off for this new variety. We had burgers to compliment the corn :)

I have lots to catch up on....I am excited to go to an Idyll "event" two weekends in a row. Gorgeous weather, good food, and lots of garden walk and talk - what more could one ask for?

V., glad to hear that someone else recognizes the need for a morale boost....or team spirit....or whatever you want to call it.

Caramel fields and blue skies....I love it! I can picture it.

Wish I could see harvest....it must be a flurry of excitement, and hard work, of course.

Everyone's gone up to read. I'm on my way up, too.

More in depth post coming soon, I promise.

'night all.

Saucy

• denisez10
    16 years ago

My day is knocked all out of shape if Deanne doesn't post in the morning and Kathy in the evening, lol.

My in-depth post is coming soon too, just behind Saucy's. I think 'bug's mystery plant is Fallopia something or other.

It is raining! Not gangbusters, but still it's water from the sky. Just googled rain chains. I want every drip of water from here on to be sculpturally significant.

Wonderful pictures, farm critters, stories of combines with monitors and memory cards. Who knew?

Meanwhile, it seems I have the doppelganger pot for Monique's shell pot, mine done with oak leaves. (Stretch of ghostly patterned fence might just need a bit more stain, maybe?)

{{gwi:178241}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

This waking up at 4 am is going to have me exhausted by noon....but I'm tossing and turning with anxiety about all that needs to be accomplished around here. Still too dark to do much though.

NIFTY pot Denise! Fallopia it is! I've seen it growing in several places but it did NOT seem to be a problem. I need Monique's advice on it now, after reading this:
    "The Variegated Fallopia is also known as Fallopia japonica (variegatum) or Japanese Knotwood. It is listed with the vine family and grows by rhizomes under the ground. Some people claim the Variegated Fallopia is an invasive species and once it takes root in your garden it will take over the yard, so be careful with this perennial."
    So Monique, did you isolate your Fallopia somehow when planting it? Anyone else have experience growing this? It truly is lovely when in bloom!

Saucy...my sympathies trying to collect money from clients. That has to be the pits. Maybe Michelle has experience with this from her business to guide you? I know DH had problems occasionally with book sales. In fact one time he went into the university bookstore with 2 students and they physically removed boxes of books from the shelves! The guy in charged was dumbfounded and didn't know what to do. DH suggested paying for them next time...Your corn tasting dinner sounds like so much fun! Great idea! I'm in a rut with meals lately.

Hope to hit the vegetable garden and make inroads there today. The frost we had did nothing for the basil, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc. OUT with it all!

Enjoy your get together New England friends! I'll be thinking of you!
    'bug

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Bug did you send me a wake up call? I woke up shortly before 5 and couldnt go back to sleep and am ready to finish getting ready for our get together today but, yep you guessed it, its too darned dark to do anything yet. The morning is very misty and foggy and you can see it swirling around the street lights. Ill bet the plants are loving it. So Mr. Charles Grimaldi has done me proud and today there will be about 200 flowers on it for the garden tour. Woohoo! Ill definitely have to get some pics and make sure to warn Kathy not to look. LOL

I didnt get anywhere near accomplished in the back that I wanted to but it will just have to be what it is. End of September is pretty thin pickings for color in the terrace gardens. Every year I realize this and have all these plans to add more fall color and every year I run out of steam once I start getting all those containers disassembled.

Denise, I LOVE that oak leaf pot! Where did that come from? I need one. And that agava and euphorbia (that is a euphorbia isnt it?) in it are wonderful!

Hi Saucy, looking forward to seeing you later. I think that corn variety you mentioned is the same one weve been getting and its the sweetest corn Ive ever tasted. Yum!

Michelle, bummer that youve not done any stained glass lately. You do such beautiful work. Id love to work out a trade with you for another plant stake? I can trade paintings? Let me know? ~~ I cant believe you went from a frost to 88 degrees! Good grief!

Cindy, thanks! I particularly love that grouping of terra cotta pots with the complementing colored plants too. Its so dramatic.

OH yes, I wanted to mention for those of you who like the mirror pic, I have to confess that I morphed two photographs together to get the depth of field needed to make that image. When you focused on the image in the mirror so that it was crisp the fence and persicaria was totally out of focus so I took a second picture and focused on the persicaria so that was crisp. I cut out the in focus image in the mirror and pasted it in the second image with the in focus foreground using Corel Photo Paint. Fun stuff!

Nice to hear from you Mariann. Great photos! That little calf is so darling.

OK I see a glimmer of light on the horizon so maybe I can get dressed and start the watering. Have a great day everyone!

Deanne

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Happy Saturday to Everyone! Thinking of the NE folks today and wishing that work hadn't had me traveling a lot already this week.

Here's the image: A large tour bus with accomodations for at least 12 driving around the country in search of home-elusive plants and containers. Bathroom and potting table also included, as well as wine cooler and built-in grill. We could do a literal round robin of the country, picking up and dropping off Idyllers as we go.

Okay, so it's Saturday and the mind is stretching a bit :-)

Woke up this morning to two little voices outside our window, one explaining that the strawberries need to be "all the way red" and the other just saying "mmmmmmmm." Our now five-year-old neighbor had a friend stay over and the cereal just wasn't the same, the strawberry stash was gone, and so they came to replenish. I'm grateful that the kids feel this way about us and our yard.

Today will be spent watering and moving major plants to new homes. Also need to divide and the weather will cooperate over the next few weeks to get roots established before hard frost. Have a feeling my muscles will miss Kyle before day's end. LOL

Enjoying all the pics and quips and good to "see" you Mariann! Rich was asking about you the other day when we started to talk about Logee's. Come back soon!

Our leaves haven't started turning quite as much as others, and I'm afraid that this year most everything will be brown. Not pretty soy brown, but just blah brown.

I, too, am amazed at the marraige of farming and technology. Do the sensors keep track of how much is harvested?

Off to move the water squirter and do some pies. Leaving you all with an interesting link. Candles at the ready!!!!

Martie

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning

I'll be thinking of the NE Idylls having another fun filled garden day today. Drink a glass of wine for me ladies!!

Mariann - nice to hear from you agian. That calf is adorable.

Marian too, I hope the trees put on a good show this year. Hope you can share pictures of the puzzle.

Denise - fabulous pot and love the combo in it.

Babs - what a lot you've got going on. Perhpas later I'll come back with my thoughts on over burdening kids with homework, its a bit early to get up on my soapbox right now.

Today is gorgeous, and like GB and Deanne I've been awake since 5 AM. Feeling lazy I stayed in bed reading for an hour or so. I have the Amy Sedaris entertaining book "I like You" on loan from the library and it's had me laughing out loud. The quirky ideas and advice might not be for everyone but her deadpan manner and tongue in cheek humor hit my funny bone. Amongst real recipes and kitchen how-to is helpful advice for how to deal with all sorts of entertaining situations. But my favorite section has to be the part devoted to the ugliest, kitchiest crafts you've ever seen. I particularly enjoyed the section on what to make from old pantyhose or how to create a charming cat toy from a tampon and googly eyes. I'm laughing just thinking about it and can't wait to create some of my own.

Before that, we have the day's activities to get going on which will include seed collecting for Martie. Martie, can you get me your address? I'm afraid you cannot reach me through gardenweb but many of the Idyllers have my email.

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

a quick post before I head out for the day. It looks like it could be a beauty. I have some things that need to come out of the veggie garden and then I'd like to get out the electric saw and work on the fence or shutters for the garden shed's window that we put in last year.

Deanne, how great that CG is cooperating. I am so jealous that you all can get together so frequently. I'd love to do a trade with you, but I would be getting the better end of the deal. How very clever of you to combine the 2 photos, whatever you did, the effect was wonderful.

Saucy, in our business I send a nicely worded letter suggesting payment or contacting us to make payment arrangements, but then I inform them if I haven't heard from them by a certain date that I will turn them over to our collection agency. I really don't like doing that since they get 30% of what they collect. Sometimes though its better than nothing. Most of our bad debt is from customers skipping town which I wouldn't think would be as big of a factor for you.

Denise, I love your pot and its plants. My sister's name is spelled Denice so don't be suprised if you see it spelled that way.

Michelle

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Michelle, I bet your sister gets way more "da-niece and da-nephew" jokes than me . I agree, it's wonderful that Deanne's CG brug is exploding with blooms on schedule. If Monique attends tonight, Deanne, ask her where she got her shell pot. I'd never seen another like mine until your pic. I found the oak leaf pot at a farm stand in Oregon a few years back. Didn't notice the "church key" on the franklin stove until after I snapped that pic. How'd that get there, lol. Tricky stuff with that mirror photo.

Can't say again how much I admire those idyllers who commit to open their gardens, tough it out through all the weather vagaries, health issues, time constraints, and see it through to the end. End-of-season toast -- have one tonight, Deanne! Raise your glass too, Mary.

'bug I just ordered that vine this fall, but a new chartreuse variety. I'd be a little wary of it for your gorgeous, wide-open spaces. I think it may be spread by seed through birds tho not positive on that. Might get you on a conservancy "hit" list :( Definitely more research in order.

OMG, Mary, no, you didn't really put that image of a tampon with googly eyes in my head! Well, at least holiday shopping is done for the kitties, lol.

All this talk of bill collecting reminds me of the testimony I took down from a lifelong bill collector recently, suing for being injured on the job. He saw it as a craft at which he was one of the best and took great pride in his skill. Professional distance, wouldn't you say?

Martie, the "strawberry lady," what an honor. I had neighborhood kids at my gate shouting the other night as I worked in the outside office, blissfully unaware of the smoke pouring from the house from an unwatched pot, smoke alarms beeping. Hate to think of what my nickname is now...
    (And who drives the bus, if everyone's busy at the potting table and minibar?? Details, details.)

Poured rain all last night, which should add maybe an inch to the year's total of 3 so far. A quick FYI, decided to watch a movie about 6:30 last night, checked Amazon's download list, chose Donnie Brasco, Pacino & Depp, mobsters, and it was downloaded to the Tivo and available for viewing by 9 p.m., for about 2 bucks. And no late fees!

Happy Saturday to all.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Drop by posting...
    So far my friend Brenda's cats are fed, the tomatoes, eggplants, basil, & fennel are pulled out of the garden, the rosemary is potted up for bringing indoors later on.
    Next is lunch, DH's skating, the dump, then cutting back the asparagus and rhubarb. All this work will leave me with tons of weeding afterwards and then parking my potted clematis for the winter where tomatoes used to dwell....but that is next week's work.
    Michelle, I had heard that the Fallopia spread by rhizomes, which is a pain. Perhaps I can plant mine in a special container in the ground...? Wonder if Monique and Les did that.
    It is windy and quite sunny, a very pleasant day out there! I do see Charlotte in the tall grasses at times. I wonder if that will last forever.
    'bug

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Well...the post Office was not open when we went for our saturday's breakfast, and I didn't feel like waiting another hour after eating....
    So, I will get my new puzzle tuesday.
    I called the P.O. and talked to the cousin's wife that mans the P.O. on saturdays. She said tuesday would be fine. I was hoping she would offer to bring it to me, but no such luck. :-( ( She is the goat raising cousin's wife. )

I am attempting to grub out the house, in anticipation of Tim and the girls being here this evening and overnight. I am hitting the high spots. It hardly seems worth putting much effort into it for such a short visit.

They spent the night at the home of the widow of Marvin, the friend that died of cancer this spring.Tim came to repair a toilet in her house.

I am already bringing in potted plants. Since I am feeling so puny this year, I figured I'd better work at it a little at a time.I have all the hanging plants in, and some of the ones from more distant spots in the yard. I haven't started on the deck plants yet.

Speaking of bills. We got a large one from the lab that read Nolon's biopsies! It seems they could not figure out who our primary insurance carrier is, even though it was printed right on the back of the bill ! Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble ! Who is running the affairs of businesses anymore ?? Has the entire world gone nuts...or is it just me ?

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Hi Marian - yes, the entire world has gone nuts.

'bug, if Monique's plant is the silver lace vine, here's a link worth reading. Sounds like a supply of Agent Orange needs to be kept handy. Mine's already in the ground (gulp)

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Here are a few pictures from today. The first is the hibiscus 'Maple Sugar' that has grown to giagantic porportions. This is the pot that keeps tipping in the wind (notice the bungees) Next year I believe I will plant it in the ground.
    {{gwi:178242}}

I'm particularily pleased with this container:

{{gwi:178243}}

This is the patio garden with the combine in the background. Normally I try to keep the "equipment" out of the pictures, but since its harvest time I thought I'd leave it in.
    {{gwi:178244}}

Notice my inadequate attempt at growing fuchsia's in this container. I believe its time to give it up.
    {{gwi:178246}}

The yellow by the road is the wildflower area, which was just a weed area before. Beyond that is a corn field.
    {{gwi:178247}}

{{gwi:178248}}

Back to it
    Michelle

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Nope! Not silver lace vine. It's Fallopia japonica variegata and doesn't even seed for me, and no runners in the 6 or 7 years I've had it. I like the generic so much that I got a named variety, 'Freckles' I think, from Plant Delights a few years ago, and that one is really slow growing.

Deanne, the photos of Sue's and Moniques are stunning. So glad you took and shared the photos with us. But no group photos of all of the idylls with wine glasses???

Michelle your containers match your shed! Just beautiful! And I like the combine in the background. Really, you shouldn't spare us the farm equipment. Those of us far away from that part of the country love to see it all. What is the difference between straight hibiscus acetosella and 'maple sugar'? I see the photos of maple sugar and no obvious difference to me.

Denise, your containter is stunning. I thought the ghostly images on the fence quite artsy actually.

GB, love the photos of your gardens and the little one with Indy giving him kisses. Yes, I have Vitex Agnus Caste. It blooms in late June or early July here. I'm actually surprised it's hardy for you, as I never saw it when I lived in New England. So I took it as a southern plant. Is yours a different type of Vitex? Not really familiar with it, just grow a couple and enjoy them. I don't usually cut them back, but thinking of experimenting next spring to see if I can increase the branching and blooming.

I know I've missed a lot, it's hard to catch up on a week of idylling all at once. So wavining hi to all, and reluctantly going to do some housework...

Cynthia

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Thanks SO very much Cynthia! I was hoping that the variegated form was not the dangerous Fallopia! It's good to know that you have had yours for so long too. As to the Vitex, I believe it is V.Agnus Caste 'Abbeville Blue'. In this part of the world it dies back to nothing with frost, then looks dead and gone until late June or even early July. It then grows quickly, and if you are lucky, it blooms before it freezes once more. In other words, you need to be crazy to try it!! I guess I like a challenge.

I'm back from grocery shopping and cutting back the asparagus doesn't really appeal to me at this hour...so I guess that will have to be Monday's job. Tomorrow is a surprise 60th birthday party for a friend. I failed in my mission to locate a carrot cake for him, the one food I know he adores. Is carrot cake a thing of the past now?

OK, tell me I'm overly sensitive, (like V). While putting my groceries in the car I saw a green car with a shaggy dog in it. The doors were locked, the windows closed. It was parked in full sun. The car was parked at the far far end of the lot, so it was impossible to know which shop the driver was in. Seems to me that a dog could cook in about 10 minutes, so I was quite alarmed. I enlisted help from several people, but we determined that the police were useless here on weekends, the vet is closed, 911 would say I was frivolous and vexatious. I was panicked. Finally I remembered Animal Control and one fellow gave $2 worth of coins to try to find their number and phone. I called them and they explained that it was a very awkward and dicey situation involving privacy and rights. YIKES! The poor dog has no rights? I went back to the car to see if anyone else could help and fortunately the car was gone. I wish I could have yelled at the owners though. I would gladly have taken that dog....
    'bug

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Working at the computer all weekend, so a nice distraction to see Michelle's lovely photos. Yes, include lots of farm equipment. What a lot of space to play with! Those containers are spectacular, opulent. I've got that zonal geranium too but forgot the name.

'bug, the reference to Fallopia you initially quoted refers, I think, to the vine, which made me think of the galloping silver lace vine. I think Monique's & Cynthia's is cuspidatum, a perennial. I've got a clump of the virginianum, a perennial kinda similar but smaller than cuspidatum apparently. Knotty nomenclature of the knotweeds. But there IS that nasty vine to beware of, and I've planted that one too...I do love the amplexicaule shown in one of Deanne's photos too. But that's a persicaria? Whatever, there's a white, pink, and red-flwrd and golden-leave variant amplexicaule planted here. I woulda done the exact same as you about the poor dog.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I hear you GB. I haven't even lost my dog and I get annoyed at people who don't take proper care of the healthy dogs they have.

I just sniffled my way through Sam's Club looking for something special for Katie. I've accepted she will never twirl or do stairs again and carrying her up and down has become part of the routine, so it doesn't seem tire me. I know I will make two trips up or down stairs every time. One with a coffee cup, and one with Katie. She has been feeling pretty good even with challenges and has been loving her half mile walks. Today she turned hoping some young boys were coming to say hi to her lost her balance and sat. Greys do not sit on hard surfaces. After that her back legs were crossing - she looked drunk - and we had to turn around. She wasn't in pain, just wobbly like V and GB.

Anyway,at Sam's, I settled on whipped cream in a can for her, but the nozzle frightened her. She is my fearless one, how things change. So I put it on my hand instead of squirting it in directly and then we went outside to split a hot dog between the three of them, since the whipped cream didn't go over all that well :(

They're smiling because they know the hot dog is coming and we're going to do sits and please and thank yous on the grass. (L to R, Monty, Dannie, Katie.)

{{gwi:178249}}
    {{gwi:178250}}
    {{gwi:178251}}

• deanneart
    16 years ago

HI there, so Cynthia, is this the sort of Piccie you were looking for from last weekend???? This photo was taken just a few hours ago before the party broke up. I wish you could all have been there to see Les, Sue and Chelone crawling through the plants to get set up for this pic. Toooo.... funny.

{{gwi:178252}}

More details to come later. I cannot tell you what a fantabulous time we had this afternoon. What a fun group! and OH the FOOD!!!!

Later
    D

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Jeez, Deanne, you don't waste any time. Where are the slithering Chelone butt shots and the pics of you and the screen? Doug and the cats? LOL!

To reiterate what Deanne said, we had yet another fabulous time today. Perfect company, weather, food and locale. The gardens are at their peak but it's all fading fast. On the drive home we were commenting on how dark it was at 7 when it seemed like just last week it was still light out at 8. Boo hoo!

Nice to see Michelle's gardens and Cynthia's pups. Happy Saturday!

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Got me a glass of wine and will make the attempt to get caught up with my Idyll friends . We actually had some rain today which was not measurable-thus the containers still had to be watered . Did all my grocery shopping and stocked new fridge #2 . The garden looks careworn despite my best efforts. No rain tomorrow so Ill get out there and do some fall clean up-since it is now officially fall ! What a nice selection of photos around here in the last few days-Les and Moniques, Marianns cute baby cows, bugs Vitex and baby shots and Marians first fall offerings.

Babs, no wonder you were awol for awhile- you are one busy lady ! Yeah, there is something wrong with the homework thing- I had 12 years of Catholic education and never had the kind of homework load my kids did in public school. I dont get it.

Nice to hear from you too Mariann, and I really enjoyed the bovine pics. It sounds like you got a great deal on your Pinetree daylilies ! I had lots of new ones this year and it was fun to see them come into bloom for the first time-a couple were duds , but thats the risk you take.

Mary, how wonderful your day with David sounds ! I am so grateful that I have children who appreciate all types of music. Its sad how many people are exposed to and thus only listen to one or two genres.

Denise, that pot is definitely fabu-fabu ! I can report that I planted a silver lace vine in 06 which never got above three feet tall and was finally yanked out in disgust. I always seem to fail in dry shade areas.

Cynthia, your pic of the kids just melted me. So sweet and expectant.

Okay, a glass raised to the Idylls congregation in NE and Marties version of the Merry Prankster bus.

And Michelle ! Beautiful garden! LOL the bungie cord hold up the top-heavy pot.Needs must.

Later folks, more on the morrow

Damn ! I just refreshed and there was Deannes brug .Stamping my foot and pouting.

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Wonderful photo Deanne!

Eden? Woody? How are things?

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Sitting here finishing the wine from our dinner, but I saw that photo and was so sad that I couldn't be there with you all!

But my lasagna turned out great and we had a lovely evening.

Off to bed and more news in the morning. 'bug, I've had Fallopia japonica 'Variegata' for about ten years with no problems. I'll post more details tomorrow.

V.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone. I've been up for hours but have been deeply engrossed in a book about Mary Queen of Scos and the murder of her second husband, Henry, Lord Darnley. It was the 16th. century equivilent of OJ and Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

Yesterday was predictably fun, fun, fun. Just the right mix of thoughtful discussion about life's trials (elderly, infirm parents, worries for our own futures, etc.), tales of child-rearing, garden talk, and down-right silliness. I drove home with the passenger's window open (won't be many more nights to enjoy that sort of thing!), listening to a silly '70s request show and croaking along in my off-key manner. I pondered the confluence of so many diverse lives on an internet site... who'dathunk that it would have endured for years (anyone know how many now?). And I wondered if anyone has taken it upon themselves to save the Idylls for posterity? Anyway, I had a FF time (is that the abbreviation). But 2 trips "off the compound" in two weeks is really pushin' it, you guys.

Back later!

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Happy Autumn to everyone! Can you even believe it? Seems like yesterday it was spring and we were all planning all the summer festivities and here it is another summer gone. As Im looking out at the September gardens here I have to thank all my Idyll and Garden friends whove given me so much information and inspiration over the last four years. There never used to be this much interest in the fall gardens. Ive learned so much here not to mention making friends for life. One of my lifes many blessings.

So speaking of friends, I so wish you all could have been here for the afternoon yesterday. We started in a bit of a rush because Dougs cars battery died at the grocery store and he was stuck there for the longest time and got home barely in time to mow the lawn. I was running late because he was running late and anyway I was just finishing getting my hair put up when Chelone arrived. Normally Id be in a froth to be running that late but, no worries, these friends just are so laid back and mellow, no problems. Everyone arrived within twenty minutes of each other and Les and Monique brought up my bargain urn which took several of us to decant from Les minivan.

Here is a pic I love the egg and dart detailing around the rim. What a buy, $50. for this because the corner is broken off.

{{gwi:178254}}

Detailing on the sides
    {{gwi:178255}}

Anyway, originally I was going to put this in the way back on a rock I have back there but Im thinking I want to keep this in the front of the house as its such a beautiful piece.

After we got the urn out of the car we had a lovely, leisurely tour of the gardens. As Ive said before and Ill say again, there is nothing as enjoyable as sharing the gardens with other gardeners. The high points were the Charles Grimaldi and all the lovely fuchsias are putting on quite a show at the moment. I was able to get some ideas for the new shrub border and show everyone the new pieced, rock mowing strip I put in a month ago.

While we were doing the garden touring Doug was making salad and opened some wine then caught up with us outside and brought us a beverage of choice. What a peach! After the tour we settled in on the patio for our al fresco dining event. We started with Dougs famous smoked salmon served with the diners choice of pickled ginger, sour cream with dill, capers or hot pepper jelly as a garnish. I dont know how he does it but it is seriously the best salmon Ive ever eaten. Saucy brought a lovely home made bean dip, and a brillian bruschetta, Yum, yum! Wendy made her splendid spinach/feta/lemon dip. (Recipes please ladies) and Les made his gustatory delight guacamole. So who needed dinner after those appetizers? Well, we persevered, took a short breather and did justice to the main course of a crisp, tossed salad, Chelone brought fresh tomato/basil/mozzarella salad, Doug prepared grilled, marinated zucchini and the piece de resistance supplied by Sue/Tom/Monique and Les, gigantic prawns, marinated in garlic, cilantro grilled to perfection. Monique took some pics of these brilliant edibles from the sea and I hope she shares them with you all today. They looked like little lobster tails on the platter. What a superb meal! Whoops, almost forgot the corn on the cob but maybe I was trying to because Im now the laughing stock of the group because I eat my corn one row at a time. So maybe Im a bit OCD. LOL

After another breather to make room (yes indeed there were home made desserts as well) we had Moniques magnificent apple cake with warmed caramel/pecan sauce and Wendys wonderful chocolate org - sm. (She assures us that really is the name of this decadent dessert.) Ahhhhh.. I dont think I need to eat for at least two days now. LOL As I said hopefully Monique will post pics of the food selections. (However, she really could avoid posting that unfortunate photograph of me and Doug with our faces pressed into the screen door. )

OK Ill post this then read the Idylls as there are lots of comments I want to make.

Deanne

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Yeah that's it Deanne! The pot garden and all the wannabe Angela Lansburys look happy. Nice that Wendy's glass matches her shirt. Easier than those ring thingies to keep wine glasses straight, just match em up to wardrobes. So I wonder if I ask for pictures of the food at last night's festival will they appear too?

Good Morning peeps. I am so enjoying September mornings with dew on the grass. Without rain to soak the ground at least some of the most desperate plants get a foliar mist at night. Kathy, I'm still watering pots twice a day too. The brugs are holding their blooms well with the cooler weather though. And the ginger is finally starting to bloom. I'm tired of mowing though. Now that it's cooler it's back to every week-end mowing just to keep the leaves off of the grass and I'm so tempted to skip it this week-end. It's such a time sync. Maybe I'll just do front and south side yard which takes about an hour. I put the grass catcher back on the mower last week-end as the leaves mixed in makes for good fast-food compost to dump around shrubs.

Does anyone have Hypericum 'Brigadoon'? I have it in mostly shade and it is short gorgeous yellow leaved thing spreading slowly in 4 years. It's almost made it to the Salvia Black and Blue and I may help it along today. The contrast of the yellow to bright blue really knocks me out at this time of year when things are looking worn. I'm moving things as I see them at this point.

Just refreshed and see that Deanne has served up descriptions of the bounty and Monique may be along with photos. Sounds like a perfect meal!!!

Great find on the urn Deanne. I couldn't pass it by either and would site it where I could see it from the house.

Later folks,

Cynthia

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Oh Deanne....what a food orgy!
    I seem to have salmonella today....so it all sounds awful right now, when normally I'd be salivating at the keyboard. I hope I recover soon, it's really awful. I'm feeling ever so weak...but I'll be reading all updates.

• gardeningmary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning

How wonderful to see so many smiling friends peeping out from the CG and then to read Deanne's descpription of the days vittles. It sounds fabulous in every way - I'm so sorry to have missed it.

Today holds a new challenge (along with continuing to glue googly eyes onto inanimate objects.) David's interest in model trains has taken him from a set on the floor to collecting track and parts to build a real layout. Today I'm building the table base. As carpentry is far from my forte and DH stuck out of town on an extended trip, I've had to get a little psyched for this. However, I have the feeling compentancy with power tools will be empowering and I'm donning my safety glasses as I write. Last weekend I purchased the supplies for the 4x8 table top and grid that will go under. I was helped out at HD by the nicest man who made suggestions for which type of wood, cut everything to length, selected the size screws I'll need and tied the whole lot to my roofrack. What's more he was thoughtful and informative without a whiff of condescension. If I need to go back today I will fill out a customer service card thanking him for his efforts.

In addition to my foray into woodworking we have friends coming for dinner and I'm planning on making a salmon and quinoa salad with corn on the cob (which I might try eating a row at a time!) and pumpkin cupcakes for dessert. Best of all, its a beautiful day again and we'll be able to eat on the patio.

Well, Annie is out jogging, David working on his train tracks and its time to fire up the drill. Wish me luck!

Have a great day and feel better GB!

Mary

• wendy2
    16 years ago

I am way behind here, so I'll just jump back in.

School is back in gear, with the requisite homework and school activities. My kids are in two different schools (DS is in elementary school and DD is in middle school) so everything seems doubled. Both schools had curriculum night last week, thankfully on different days. We were able to see the classrooms, and meet the teachers. In middle school, we had to follow DD's schedule with 10 minutes per class - they rang the bell and everything! Her English teacher is a long talker, so we were late for French, which is on a different floor!

We have been having a wonderful time at Idyll gatherings, two weekends in a row! Yesterday was great, wish more of you could have joined us. Deanne described the menu wonderfully, it was yummy! BTW, the chocolate dessert is really called chocolate org - sm, the link is below. This bakery is locally famous, and I received the cookbook for a gift several years ago.

I will post recipes later, but must run now to finish laundry before heading off to my parent's house to help cover the pool. I know, we are predicted to be in the 80's this week, but the nights have been cool and the water is freezing. Dad wants to cover it up before he has to scoop falling leaves out of it.

Later!

-Wendy

• chelone
    16 years ago

Mary, power tools are very "empowering"! Good for you! It always cracks me up when men don't think I know about drills, saws, etc..

I do so hope 'bug isn't spending too much quality time "riding the porcelain pony" or praying at the porcelain altar? Maybe you could pretend it's your 21st. birthday? ;)

About dogs in sealed cars... (you know how I feel about dogs). Many, many moons ago I was in North Conway, NH and some dope left their dog in the car, window up, on a blistering day. The cop didn't hesitate. HE BASHED IN THE WINDOW WITH THE BILLY CLUB. And then he fined the owner. The surrounding crowd cheered as he wrote the ticket; canine deaths in sealed cars are pretty routine in resort towns... let's not even talk about kids. Ugh.

Wendy, YOU could make up something like that, lol. I'm going to miss you guys next weekend. Wish Monique would get out of bed and post the buffet table... jeez! by the time they roll their cans outta bed the day's half GONE. :)

Cynthia, all our pets respond to the sound of the cover coming off the aerosol whipped cream can. No kidding! The come running, in fact. Shake the can well, and begin "training" by putting it in your hand (I see you passed step one already). Then try dispensing it very slowly into your hand and encourageing consumption at the same time. Before you know it your pet will be receiving direct mouth "hits" with nary a flinch. Hehehe... kitties are daintier, though. They insist on the slow emission of the whipped cream, lapping it up greedily as it's dispensed. Rex, OTOH, will take the full force blast and look for more as soon as he's cleaned off his chops. GREAT "party trick", BTW.

So, got a call from the general contractor this morning, seems he's received more than a few calls about our "baHn". He wants to speak with us tomorrow morning (before Monique and Les. are out of bed). I'm delighted for him! Seems to me, proof positive that it's a pretty nice looking structure. Yeah... I know, I know! the damn pictures...

Time to go bac to work on the weeding along the road, kids.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Nice to check in and see so many smiling faces from Cynthia's pups to the NE Idyllers! I've been down with a cold all week and when I wasn't blowing my nose I was out cleaning up the gardens enough that I can begin spreading that mountain of wood chips sitting in my driveway. I also did some autumn decor out front, a scarecrow, mums, pansies and a couple of pumpkins. Got a new microwave this afternoon too. Ours was ancient, from the 80s. The new one's shiney red, kinda metalllic and reminds me of a sports car. Here's a sequence of pictures I captured of Bella reading to Bud yesterday afternoon that I wanted to share.

First she placed his paw on her lap

{{gwi:178256}}

Here she is reading to him

{{gwi:178257}}

And then she put her arm around him too

{{gwi:178258}}

It was all very sweet.

I got emails from Chelone and Cynthia with their snail mail address. Anyone else who wants Creepy Guy aka Angela Landsbury to visit them on his tour needs to send me their addresses too. My email's lmcilhargie at hotmail.com. I'd like to send him off asap with a list of addresses included.

Babs, I do believe I see the beginnings of buds on the clero!!! I've got my fingers crossed!

I need to go back and do some catch up reading. Hope you're all having a nice Sunday afternoon. The weather's been just beautiful here.

Eden

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Aww, Bella and Bud -- Bud, will you please follow along!

Since two idyllers spritz whipped cream at their dogs, I'll have to chalk up my unfamiliarity with the practice as being further proof that I mostly paddle around in a shallow cultural backwater. Apparently, your dogs just have way more fun than Ein. As Princess Diana once remarked about the Queen's corgies, they can be rather "windy." So hot dogs are out too. He was running around yesterday with a prized chewy, a "pistolero," which Ein's groomer swears is a rather private part of a cow's anatomy. I don't believe it, but anything's possible, I s'pose.

If only one could spritz whipped cream at dinner guests and call it a done deal! What an incredible menu you guys brought together. That brug makes an amazing centerpiece to your party, Deanne, and thanks so much for the juicy details of your FF evening. Love the new urn -- prominent position a must. I was having dinner with my folks last night for my da's 76th bday.

About tools, one of my prized possessions is my very own "tool shed," where I keep, well, just about anything that takes my fancy, including pirating some choice tools from the main garage. Now whenever anyone needs matches, hammers, screwdrivers, flash lights, tea candles, bike pump, extension cord, measuring tape, plumb line, painter's drop cloths, they head straight to my little shed. Takes away the mininum 2-hour search for the same item in the garage, which usually ends with coming up empty-handed anyway. I really need about two more sheds at this point. Garden tools still stand outdoors year-round.

I need to ask Kathy what noisette roses she's grown. And also forgot to applaud -- I think it was Martie's -- book club's choice of Douglas Adams Hitchiker's Guide. Adams own audiotapes of his books have been invaluable accompaniment to long road trips when the boys were younger.

New fridges, microwaves. It sounds like Chelone's garage is going to hit the cover of "Garage World" any day now. We've decided the electrical needs a complete redo. Since 1919, through the various owners, this old house hasn't had a coherent approach to power, and it's long overdue.

Hope this week sees everyone back to full health, or a reasonable approximation.

Have barely stirred from the "compound" too and better get back to work.