Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini IU -Part II - A Secret Garden

Posted by michelle_zone4 zone 4 NW IA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 10:16

Honey knew of a "Secret Garden" It was a garden between several groups of condos that was in a flood plain so couldn't be built on. A woman who lived in the condos started this garden and apparantly it has gotten a reputation. People stroll through it and also bring her gifts of garden decor. It was quite large and very interesting. It was mostly shady and had a stream running through it. Enjoy the stroll.

Photobucket

Can someone ID this plant? I should know it but it escapes me.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini IU -Part II - A Secret Garden

What a charming thing this is Michelle ! And we maintained too-love the vignettes with the garden art items.

Kathy in Napa

o

Could the plant be May Apple? It looks familiar to me too....just not sure at this time of year.

This kind of garden is especially pleasing because many contribute to it and share in the enjoyment!

o

How fantastic! What a neat garden. thanks for sharing.
Deanne

o

One of those leaves (of the questioned plant) would be fun to cast, Michelle!

What a beautiful shared garden!

Saucy

o

How wonderful to stroll through a secret garden! It looks quite established, do you know how long ago the lady began the garden, Michelle? At first glance I thought perhaps the plant in question was Rodgersia but the umbrella shaped upper leaves are characteristic of May Apple, I believe?

Thank you for sharing!

o

Wow, what a treat to view this garden. Lovely. I thought mayapple, too. Thanks for sharing.

o

Hi, Hi, Hi!!! I'll chime in over on the idylls next. I know the plant in the photo isn't a Rogersia or a May Apple, which do grow here. This plant is 4' high and it's stems are strong and bamboo-like.

The secret garden is quite extensive. It was started approx 2002 and was on the local garden tour in 2005, when I first saw it. Since then, this gal has extended it substantially. There are little rooms here and there and it's so interesting. I've been hoping to meet this gal but have missed her every time I've visited. I'll take some more pix later this wk and post them for you. I know you'll seeing the vignettes, too.

See ya on the thread!

Honey

o

Oh, how cool! I love the idea of a secret garden, and it's just great that visitors bring garden gifts!
Lol, as soon as I saw that second picture (and I have no idea what it is) I thought of Saucy :)
Hi, Honey!!!

o

Very cool garden! Thanks for the photo tour. The second photo may be a rice paper plant (Tetrapanax papyriferus). They grow in the shade here. I'm not sure how far north they grow. The stems are bamboo like and it spreads like crazy here.

Jerri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here