Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Idyll #402: where IS everyone?

chelone
15 years ago

Lookit! I'm stuck inside today and there is virtually no word from the people I've come to rely on for some silliness, reflection, daily blather...

(sigh)

Comments (101)

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hayride, apple picking, cider and donuts and the petting farm. And the rains held off until after we got home this afternoon. It feels like autumn here today. We baked chocolate chip cookies this afternoon after a nap. It's a good day to be cozy.

Deanne, you always make me feel better because you have more plants to drag in and deal with than I do. Which means if you can do it so well I should be able to at least do it. I'm shooting for getting most everything inside this weekend.

PM, so sorry that you're having back problems. My back's been a little touchy from the long car rides up to my parents. Nothing a hot bath doesn't loosen up though. My stomach doesn't do well with pain meds. Hope you feel better really soon!

Brenda, great skydiving pic. The garden one's pretty cool too. So where were you visiting in MI? I missed that you were coming here.

Michelle, I wish we could transport little Kenzie to your kitchen for applesauce. You must miss her so.

I come from a line of cleanies. My grandma, my mom and me to a certain extent, especially when company's expected. My girls are a little more relaxed but also they both work alot.

Tomorrow I think I'll pull out the autumn/Halloween decorations and let Bella help me decorate. And maybe a pot of chili for dinner. My cold's much better today. Did I tell you that we're in the process of kitchen painting? Brad's doing some drywall repair which means the kitchen is very dusty. I also took off the cupboard doors to get them sanded, primed and painted. It took us all last winter until just a few weeks ago to finish the livingroom. Any bets on how long the kitchen will take, lol?

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Well, I'm glad you all liked my succulent collection, but Saucys good eye recognized it from the wonderful gardens at Stonecrop.

Ok, my Julie job for today is taking out the garbage, and making a nice primavera sauce that will last 2 dinners and one lunch, doing a small load of laundry (due to dribbling salad dressing all over my shirt yesterday) and watching Twins-White Sox game.

Michelle, chores before work ? Wow, that would not work for me ! Im behind my desk between 6 and 6:30 in the am , and need that morning energy to organize and get my workday started.

Brenda , welcome back ! Great photo too..I think that over ordering bulbs is a common affliction, but when spring comes and they bloom it still seems like there should be more .Im going to buy a bunch of dutch iris tomorrow since they are so cheap and small enough that its easy to tuck them in here and there.

Eden, there is nothing worse than painting a kitchen ! Thats why I hired mine out this time. Are you changeing all the nice little whimsical touches you had in yours ? Whats the new plan ?

Ok, time to start the primavera

Ta ta Idylls

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Sister-in-law Nancy lost her oldest son to cancer a half hour ago. In his 50s, but it is still against the law to die before one's parents.

Time for good news.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Sister-in-law Nancy lost her oldest son to cancer a half hour ago. In his 50s, but it is still against the law to die before one's parents.

Time for good news.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

((((Marie))) and family. Against the law indeed.

Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    15 years ago

Oh Marie! You must be saying "Enough already!" My condolences to your family.

Funny Kathy, my "Julie job"!. Gave me an early morning chuckle. On this topic, you must all remember two things: 1. I am retired, I don't work at an outside job; and 2. living in the frozen north means that we are in the house, that is IN the house, for at least five months every year. No outside work for me at all, although the Phils snowblow the lane. Keep these in mind,now.

Yesterday morning was rushed. DGS didn't wake up unitl 7:50 and he has to be on the bus by 8:30. We wears his Jr. Phil personna for about 10 minutes after waking, so movement in the "getting dressed and eating (?) breakfast" direction is slow. However, his lunch (?) got packed, his backpack was ready, his gloves and hat (frozen north remember) had been dredged up from the depths of the family room and by 8:20 things were moving along. Then the phone rang. Best Little Friend, who has us on his speed dial...Can Adrian come over to my house after school? Let me talk to your Mom....yada, yada, yada, arrangements made. Unpack the backpack to write a note to the teacher, allowing Adrian to leave with BLF. Yell at Adrian to leave the Lego and brush his teeth. Finally he starts with the shoes, hat, jacket, gloves, and...doorbell. "Hi ! It's Home Hardwork with 22 boxes of bamboo. Whered'ya want it?"

Now, InterPhil was already gone for work and Sr.Phil was still abed, so my reply was "Open the garage and stuff it in. Bye." I keep a nice house, but Sr.Phil's garage looks almost exactly as it looked on the day we moved in here. I left the HW guys scratching their heads and we ran to the bus. While there, the town park maintenence crew arrived in the park beside my house and opened the fire hydrant to flush it out. So I stood on one side of the flood and watched the HW guys stuff my garage with 22 boxes of bamboo, and the subfloor and the whatever else you need to put down floors. Yesterday's "Julie job" was to find mats and space for the Phils to lug all that stuff into the living room. When are we going to actually do the floors? Oh, sometime. The price was good.

Today's "Julie job" is to phone someone for an appointment - but I forget who! Maybe I will experience a synapse after my second java.

Garden-wise, I still haven't gotten the monster hosta out of the front bed. I need to do this so they can be planted at DD's house before winter. I have only two more plants to bring in: the clivia miniata from the front porch, and the Hibiscus from the pond. Seeing as we are moving the pond next week and the temps are going down to 2C (35F) this week, maybe I will make those my "Julie Jobs" today, the pots I mean, not the Hosta.

Eden, painting the kitchen. Doesn't that just make you want to run way screaming! But it will be so worth it when all is done and complete! Pictures, of course!

Flowerluvr, I don't know what the photo is, but it would make a kinda neat wallpaper! And aren't you the brave soul! The adrenaline rush you get must add at least ten years to your lifespan by invigorating every single body cell!

PM, I hope your back is healing. So difficult to do anything, and boring too, if you can't easily Idyll!

Michelle, have a hug (()). Maybe you could courier a few jars of applesauce to Kenzie?

That's enough for this morning guys. Have a good day, all!

Cheers,
    Julie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I think that I see the tips of an agave in Brenda's picture! You look so happy when you jump out of a plane, LOL!

Julie, you're not retired, not matter what you think....you've got your hands full :) We'll need pictures of your new floor as well as Eden's kitchen.

Kathy, I have thought about you a lot when it comes to the current housing market. I don't like to be in limbo, and I don't guess anyone really does.

Today is jam packed, right through tonight's design class. GB, I'm thinking on your question, and I will give you an answer when I can articulate. Quite honestly, I'm trying not to visit my plan to often so that I don't feel the need to change it (like I always do).

This weekend my class is taking a trip out to Western Mass to see Berkshire Botanical and the Bridge of Flowers. It's always fun to go on garden trips :)

I'd better go get ready for the bus stop....I see that we need rain gear today.

Saucy

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Just checking in quickly here - I can't seem to catch up or find the extra time to post anything - not that I have anything interesting to post -- I always say, appreciate the boredom, for fear of what you might get otherwise....

'bug -- I agree -- your family is way way over their legal limit for family pain. Im so so sorry.

Im working on bringing the plants in - those too many agave and succulents -- I seem to have an infestation of mealybugs awaiting them in the house - something came in w/ something earlier in the year apparently and all the african violets are wearing those things... not sure what's going to win out....the things brought in already are not looking so great - o well, assuming the pocket can afford it, there might be replacements next year, right? One can only imagine what the costs of plants is likely to be next year, though, eh?

Love your shots, Brenda -- great fun you're having one can tell !!! and that's a cool plant shot.

I should feel better when I think of Deanne and where in the world are you going to keep all those standards? You sooo need a greenhouse - dont imagine Doug would give up his garage for a greenhouse would he, super guy that he is? Plants in need, in distress??? I've got a few more big pots to clean & bring in this weekend, the dish gardens may have to winter on their own outside.

O, I do dream of a clean house, but doubt even living in the frozen north would make me actually perform the necessary acts to make it like that, LOL...

Glad to see lots of folks checking in though....

--Cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

((gb and DH)) Good heavens! You guys are definitely way over your pain limit - I hope good things are waiting to come your way soon.

On the subject of clean houses - my mother was a cleanie - I tend towards the slob category :-) I am SO not motivated to clean beyond the minimum basics! Julie's approach is so sensible - but I'm not too sensible :-) The best way to ensure the house gets reasonably tidied up is to invite someone over to dinner!

Painting the kitchen is on the agenda here too - and has been for about a year! There have been paint chips taped to the walls for a year and that's about as far as we've got! I hope we can do it before Christmas....

Brenda - you're the picture of happiness there! Did you pull the cord this time? Was it noticeably more cooler at this time of year? (although I notice you are still in short sleeves...)

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Wonderful pic Brenda! Love that you did that and get such a kick out of it.

Woody, I'm so like you in that the quickest way for me to get my house cleaned up is to invite someone for dinner. LOL

Julie, Sounds like you're busier than ever. Doesn't sound like retirement to me. LOL ~~ I need to start getting plants in, I've only done cuttings so far and it's gettng down to deadline time.

Saucy, you'll have to let us know how the BBG is as well as that Bridge of Flowers. Sounds pretty intersting. HOpe you get some breaks in the rain we're getting here. ~~ Ah yes, "where in the world are you going to keep all those standards?" Hmmmm a good question. You are so right that I really could use a good greenhouse or at least a cold storage area out of my basement. I'm gritting my teeth but I think I'm procrastinating on getting plants in because I really need to let about half of this stuff go. It's really all too much.

Marie, so sorry for your family. THat's terrible news.

Kathy, LOL at myself, I thought I recognized that fabu succulent collection.

Eden, I'll bet your house smelled cozy too with those chocolate chip cookies. Glad to hear you had a good time at the orchard and didn't get rained on. I've made a couple batches of soup lately and Doug baked the first loaf of bread for the fall season. Autumn is truly in the air.

Michelle, so sorry Kenzie isn't with you this year to go to the orchard with you. I know she'll be missing you as much as you miss her. ~~ 20' of lights? that's impressive. Maybe I should send you some of my abutilons. LOL

All righty, I'd better get to the basement and get an order filled and finish the class sample from the seminar last weekend.
    Have a good afternoon all
    Deanne

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

(((Marie))) I just don't even have the words, Bug. Your family is much in my thoughts.
    Brenda

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

bug, so sorry to hear the news that is just too young.

Eden, the orchard trip sounds like so much fun.

Deanne, I had one abutilon last year and I kept it alive all winter and it died shortly before I got it outside.

Ive gotten the ingredients together to make vegetable soup. I figure I might as well get that done with some of the fresh garden vegetables. I have these awesome carrots. Last night I peeled apples for 2 pies for the freezer, baked an apple crisp and made a batch of applesauce. Theres just so much wonderful produce to consume or preserve. I dont do canning anymore only freezing.

I havent brought a thing in and theres a frost warning for tonight. They are saying 36, but you can really depend on that. Ill probably cover things and shoot for Sat. to get things in. The rest of the week looks decent.

Im quite pleased with my "fall" containers that I made to go on the front pillars. No pictures to post these days as Im still without a computer at home.

Kathy, I dont leave for work until 7:45. I get up at 6:15 that allows me a little chore time as well as a 15-20 minute stroll through the gardens. These days theres just not enough daylight.

Best get back to work

Michelle

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

I'll attempt a short post to tell Chelone I'm still out here too.

Marie, I will vote for that law. My condolences. I did enjoy your good news thread, How sweet of you Woody to send Pheobe cookies.

It must be soup and apple time. LOL . I made a huge pot of vegetable soup and an apple pie today. Decided I needed to invite best friends over to help eat it. I didn't clean house, but they know I'm an outdoor person . I usually clean on rainy days or when DH makes me PO'd.

I'm waffleing back and forth about bringing plants in. I just don't want the hassle this winter, but as Cindy said, who knows what plants may cost next year. I might be happy to have a few on hand.

Things still look pretty decent outside but the window is narrowing for getting them in before a frost.

We had a fun little trip to Oklahoma to watch Best friends grandchildren ride in a couple of rodeos. Word has it that two of them will be getting all around champion buckles in the Central OK JR Rodeo Association.
    Brought back a lot of memories of hauling our own kids around.

Kathy, I was thinking of Adrian learning to crawl, and your love of baseball. Our same best friends have an eight month old grandson. The one I helped take care of a couple of weeks ago when his mom was in the hospital. Anyway he was selected to crawl the bases at Bush Stadium (home of the Cardinals). He was one of 21 babies in the race. Unfortunately he was overwhelmed by all the comotion and couldn't even locate mom to crawl to. They are big baseball fans as well and at least got to enjoy the game with free tickets afterwards.

Saucy, you have really been getting around to a lot of neat gardens this year. You should be stoked with new ideas for your own.

Michelle, I know you miss your little peanut. Did they find a place to live before they went down? What area are they in? Our DD lives at Tarpon Springs.

Eden I too was wondering about your nicely decorated cabinets. I bet you have something cool planned.

Julie, I think there must never be a dull moment at your house.

Thinking of V on vacation. Nice Trip.

I am still frustrated with my internet connection and feel like ditching the whole thing sometimes. But I sure would miss not hearing from all you people.

Since there is more indoor time again, I have been trying to get back up to where I left off with the guitar. To bad I can't play when I wake up at 3 am. But I don't
    think DH would appreciate that . hee hee.

Speaking of Chelone, Where is she?

I'm going to post before I lose my connection. Waving hi to those I misssed. I nodde my head with all you said. Norma

• deanneart
    15 years ago

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! I dropped a can on my big toe while fixing dinner tonight and the thing crashed into my toe nail bed and it hurts like the dickens...... Currently elevating and icing. I don't remember the last time I did something this stupid that hurt this much.

Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good evening.... :-)

My back is improving! Not quite there yet, but moving around more. Using the computer and typing are still uncomfortable, but thought I could at least post a nice photo..

Hello to all...from 'Bored Silly.'

{{gwi:178362}}

At twilight, the illuminated outer walls of Caernarfon Castle loom over motorboats moored at the mouth of the Seiont River in northern Wales. Edward I began construction of Caernarfon Castle in 1283, and in 1969, it famously served as the site of the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales.
    Jim Richardson

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Yes Chelone, where are YOU??? It's been chilly here today and a little drizzly. A trio of garden club friends stopped by this afternoon to view the gardens. I have everything torn apart and in a total mess but showed them anyway. I got Bella a set of little Cinderella characters while shopping at Target this morning and we watched the Rodgers and Hammerstein version on dvd this afternoon and acted it out with our little characters too. That was pretty much my day.

I'm planning on painting the kitchen a pale green, water spout is the name, and the trim and upper cabinets cottage white. I may try a color called cinnamon cherry, a dark red on the lower cabinets.

Marie, I'm so sorry to hear there's been more sadness in your family. September was truly an awful month. I'm glad it's gone.

Deanne, ouch. Hope it stops hurting soon. Your mention of Doug's bread baking reminded me that I need to make a batch of the artisian 5 minute bread dough.

Norma, Brad's been picking up his guitar a little more recently too. He's been working on a few of Jack Johnson's songs. I've been hearing Banana Pancakes alot lately.

Michelle, but we need to see those fall containers. I bet they're really pretty.

Woody, I keep meaning to mention that I have Queen Elizabeth too. I yanked quite a few roses this year but like you say, that one's a keeper. So what color will your newly painted kitchen be?

Cindy, I had a mealy bug infestation a few years ago that got all of my coleus cuttings. I hope you're able to save your agaves.

Saucy, waiting to hear how design class went tonight.

Julie, sounds like those three men of yours keep you hopping. I'm enjoying your stories about them.

Kathy, I must have missed that Aiden is crawling? That was fast. I have to admit I never enjoyed the crawling stage. I always felt under too much pressure to try and keep the floors spotless.

Well that's about all I have for you guys tonight. Time to read Bella a few stories. Night all!

Eden

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

PM, great that your feeling a little better. Hoping for even more improvement for you tomorrow. Nice to have you posting your beautiful pictures again too!

Eden

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am here, I am alive, I was "called away", I have been reasonably productive, and I've read about 2/3rds. of this Idyll.

But now I'm tired and will share details later.

n-night, friends.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

The other day I heard "Blackbird" as I drove into town. Eden, I thought of Brad!

Deanne...Oh that poor toe.

Today I spent at the doctors. This is really stupid stuff that annoys me, partly because I'm not fond of the doctor. Hair loss(grief,) hemorrhoids, colonoscopy...Could anything be more romantic? Yes, the mammogram and bloodwork for my physical in November. Oh bother! Yet, Dr S came out well in the end, very nice after only 10 years of not looking at me. He owns dogs, so he can't be all bad, right?

The Veterinary clinic sent a lovely bouquet to us...very sweet and surprising. HUGE yellow roses and orange daisy like flowers and really really pretty! Of course I'd rather have Reed. :( We haven't heard from Sarah for a week and I miss sharing with them terribly. All in good time....

Phoebe needs a grooming BADLY. I need to organize that. It is hard to do simple things like that these days.

Tonight we had small Brie and mushroom pizzas with a nice salad, fresh raspberries for dessert. Reed adored raspberries and would approve. Picking them gave me time to "chat" with him..Sigh. We ate by our first fire of the season. We waited for October to start.

Again, thank you so much for all the kind cards and truly meaningful messages.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Eden - pale green is the planned kitchen color here too - but we've been staring at paint chips for a heck of a long time and still haven't picked the final one!

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Marie, sounds like today was a tough one. Know that I'm thinking of you.

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

and there will be no Julie Job today, as I was stuck in my office shooting the breeze with my boss till almost 5 (having been at the office since a little after 6am) and had to turn on the baseball game at once upon my arrival at home. Viewing this game tonight, it is just as well that V. is out of the country. My team is beating her team.

Cindy, mealybugs are miserable little b*&%*rds arent they ? They must have some purpose in the great scheme of things, but what that is escapes me. I get them in my Alchemilla , and I just dig em up and toss them if they get too bad. It was once suggested to me that I pour some cheap vodka in the middle of the plant. I have not as yet wasted my booze in this manner.

Norma, so very nice to have a chatty post from you ! Aiden is definitely not ready to crawl the bases at a MLB venue ! according to DD he has very limited range thus far. I have traveled to St Louis many times on business and I remember the revolving bar on top of a hotel that overlooked the original Busch Stadium-you could see right down to the field. I always enjoyed going there.

Deanne, you mean you dont wear steel toe work boots in the kitchen ? An ounce of prevention you knowOnce you get the bucks for your new lens, its time to start saving up for the greenhouse-something that you could move the plants into that would only require a hand truck ! Of course by the time this happens , Charles will be so huge youll need a forklift to move him.

PM, a cool pic from you signals you are on the mend !

Eden, now Im singing Cinderella stuff in my head! In my own little corner, Ten minutes ago.." etc. Lesley Ann Warren ? Celeste Holm as the fairy godmother ? Dont remember who the Prince was .Maybe Agnes Moorehead as the stepmother ? LOL the crawling baby and spotless floors- I am going to be pretty interested in this because DD is my slob child. I will be going up for a visit in a few weeks , and he will probably be pretty mobile by then. There will be pics Im sure.

Chelone ! there you are , after asking where are you ?

And, where are Marian, Denise, Babs, Anita , Cynthia, who did I miss ??

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Good morning all.

Last night's class was a look at great gardener's of the past (did you know it was pronounced "jee-kel"? or is my instructor just pulling our leg, lol). Then we studied and took apart the English long border. Lots of the pictures were from his personal collection.

My bulb project is not due until next week - I was mistaken. Now I have one more week to obsess over it :)

GB, I honestly have never planted a bulb. I enjoy what is already here, though. Anyway, I decided to use a Scheepers catalog (since that is what was mentioned here) so that I could "see" the final layout (I kind of got an idea of foliage shape/color that way, too). You mentioned liking Fritillaria, so I added persicaria, and p. alba....and a color scheme was born. One criteria was that we had to use 5 varieties of one species, so I went the easy route and picked tulips! All in black, white, and deep plum. I picked your "green tulips" too. It was suggested that we make "flash cards" (I used my catalog and added the pictures with a description and price to each card - voila! quick reference) that we could lay on the ground if we had trouble with the final vision, and I ended up making them since I'm so unfamiliar with bulbs.

I changed my placement because I originally had it by the front door and felt like after blooms had past that it would be a mess to walk by everyday. So why not move it to the SGOG and put the bulb garden near the Spring statue? I priced it up....it'd be $190 in it's current state....but honestly, that's affordable over a couple year's time!

Maybe I can show you a picture of the final plan when I finally get it done (now that I have another week :)

I saw the podiatrist yesterday (another reason to think of you, GB, and you, too, Brenda, LOL) and got my bad foot taped up. "Wow....it feels great" I say....doc says, "that's not good....it means you need orthotics!" Only "not good" because orthotics are not covered by insurance. I'm proud to wear orthotics with my friends GB and Brenda, :)

Poor Deanne....that's a painful injury! I thought of you yesterday, too...when's your toe surgery?

Kathy, DH is over my shoulder on his laptop saying, "good, they won the first game." and some gibberish about J. Bay. Good gibberish, but he hasn't finished his coffee yet :)

I think it might be good that V. is away :)

I hope to make some major headway in office filing today. I am the worst: I let things pile up to an unmanageable level and then I have to waste time getting it put away. I hope this will be my final lesson, and then Grasshopper (that's me) will finally change her routine :)

I need to get out in the garden and work on SGOG and bring in the tropicals! We're headed for 30's for lows next week!

What happened to the fine art of killing your mealy bugs one at a time with an alcohol soaked q-tip? Now you have to buy the plant a drink first? I hope she respects you in the morning :)

Ta ta!

Saucy

• jak1
    15 years ago

What, no Julie Job? Tut tut, the earth will cease to spin!

I brought in all two of my plants yesterday, but the hibiscus was so big I had to call on the Phils to do it.

The carpet cleaners came for an estimate on the family room and will do the cleaning on Monday.

Adrian's music teacher has moved him on to Jazz, Blues and Rags, so we are going to be truly entertained this week!

Really freezing here now - 0 C this morning and that translates to just plain cold in any system!!

My garden friends/helper of the expensive gloves is too busy to work on the hostas etc. until late next week - I may try to conscript the Phils and DD to get them the heck out of there!

Oh Marie, don't you just hate the round of doctor stuff we old ladies have to go through? Been there done that in August.

Deanne, the thought of your toe gives me the willies! Ouch Ouch Ouch.

Orthotics? I'm in the club too. Reminds me, I need new ones - my hip lets me know when it's time...

I have a big 12 bulbs to plant. There are few if any here, so I picked up some Hyacinths and some pink daffodil-type things recently. Haven't a clue where to put them but I better figure it oput fast. $190 for a bulb garden? Oh I am green with envy - not just for the bulbs themselves, but for having all that wonderful space to plan/plant such a bulb garden!!

If it isn't cold and rainy today I might do that...

Taking the cat to the vet for shots today.

Still forget who I was supposed to call the other day; must be something I am repressing.

Jr.Phil wants the computer for a while, so I am off to paper and coffee. I will find something nice for the Good News thread later.

Cheers, Guys.

Julie

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Think I've managed to catch up with the latest and send hugs to Marie in particular. Applesauce does travel well, Michelle, and when V gets back I can give her the names of LOTS of local Yankees and Mets fans with whom to commiserate should the Cubs get blown out. Around here the sports minds are predicting a Red Sox/Cubs Series. Come to think of it, Kathy can pack an extra bottle of local wine when she comes to Idyll Camp. LOL

Anyway -------

If you really like the idea of bulbs by your front door, Saucy, interplant them with something fast growing and late spring blooming to cover them up and then whack the foliage when needed. It works.

If dremels at a Halloween party make you cringe, Julie, pumpkin paint is a fine alternative :-) Ky's B-day is mid-October and this became a traditional part of the party, to the point that when everyone was 14 and they weren't there because I thought it was a little "young" they were sorely disappointed and we schedule a second party just for that purpose.

Did you ever find out what neighbor's kid did/might have done? These folks are trained to instill fear and sounds like they did a great job, Deanne.

PM2 -- if all else fails try a warm lavender bath. It may be a chore getting in and out of the tub, but in between your back will reeeeeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax.

Good to hear from Brenda, T, Marian, Jerri, Eden and everyone else I missed.

I want pansies, now, since the rabbits decimated the self-sowns and they're (the plants) missing from the garden.

Staying within 70 miles of home for the next two days sounds perfect, though I can't say I missed the office and this means I'll need to spend some quality time with coworkers. Where's the headphones???

Thinking of everyone ...

Martie

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well it looks like the sun will actually make an appearance today and that is a good thing. I'm feeling like I"ve got chronic mildew. For some reason I've totally lost interest in the gardens at the moment and haven't been able to dig up enough enthusiasm to get outside and start bringing plants in. Le sigh... If I let this stuff go you can all yell at me in the spring when I'm whining about the cost of plants. LOL The fuchsias continue to look good but the poor coleus are at the end of their days. They simply do not like nights in the 40's and have been dropping leaves at light speed. I'm thinking of cutting them all out of the pots and hauling all that plant material to the composter this weekend. Actually I'm ready to start getting quite a few of the pots cleaned out and put away for the season.

My poor toe is no longer throbbing like a tooth ache but just sore when I walk on it. I wouldn't be surprised if I lose the darned toe nail.. Kathy, steel-toed shoes in the kitchen??!!! LOL that will be the day... I'm a total barefoot girl and rarely wear shoes in the house in the summers. Half the time I don't have shoes on in the gardens which is how I injured the other foot. Yes, I'm a klutz...

Saucy, I've still not scheduled my foot surgery. The last time I talked to the doctor I wasn't too happy with the description of the operation that would be necessary to fix the problem. It involved fusing a joint and that makes me a bit jittery. I've been keeping those two toes taped together and that keeps me pain free so I've not had that constant reminder that I need to do something about it. Knowing me I'll probably wait until its a chronic problem again.

Martie, I've still not found out what the heck the neighbor's kid did to warrent a SWAT team. The only answer coming from the NashuaPD is "It's an ongoing investigation".

Julie, do you ever have problems with mites on your hibiscus in the house? I stopped growing them because they seemd to be magnets for spider mites. ~~ I sure wish I could hire you to organize the housekeeping around here.

Saucy, how was the bridge of flowers?

Kathy and Cindy, If I had room on this property for a greenhouse I'd probably already have one. I seriously don't have any space available for one except for the area where we park the utility trailer and if I used that I'd be back to no space for the trailer so I've given up on the greenhouse idea. Our property looks much larger in pictures than it actually is. WE only have a third of an acre here.

Kathy, Yes, yes, yes, surely remember the Lesley Ann Warren Cinderella and the 'Ten minutes ago...." Jeesh, that song is now going to be running around in my head all day. These lyrics just popped into my head when I read your post and I've not seen that movie in years. Now I'm going to have to find the rest of the lyrics.

Ten minutes ago I saw him,
    I looked up when he came through the door
    My head started reeling
    My heart started beating
    The room had no ceiling or floor,

Ten minutes ago I met him
    and we murmured our "How do you do's"

(don't remember anymore except)

And for all I can tell
    That I like it so well
    I may never come down again,
    I may never come down to earth again.

Marie,'Brie and mushroom pizzas?!!! Yummy!" ~~ I hate doctor's visits these days myself. You know you are getting old when you're visiting with friends and comparing notes on colonoscopys. LOL

Cindy, mealybugs are a bear to get rid of and in fact I've never successfully eradicated an infestation of them. Now if I find any I dispose of the plants. I found that I was having to do the alcohol thing and debugging routine every ten days and they just kept coming back so I don't bother to try anymore.

Eden, did you ever post pics of the finished living room??? Did you do any stencilling on the walls again? ~~ Sounds like Bella has a dream grandmother.

Woody, I've grown 'Queen Elizabeth' too and it's one of the best pink roses. A beautiful performer.

PM glad you're feeling better.

Hi Norma, your trip to OK sounds like it was fun. Great to hear from you. ~~ I'm doing the waffling about bringing stuff in myself. If I don't get to work here the weather will take care of the whole thing.

Michelle, what do you use for a stock for your vegetable soup??? ~~ Bummer that your abutilon died before going outside. I've had really good luck with wintering over my abutilons and do have way to many now. I bought this new one this year called 'Voodoo' that is the most gorgeous red. I should try to get some cuttings from it. ~~~ Hope you didn't get a frost last night.

OK I've got to get to work here, have a great day everyone.
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

(Ok - rant below re headphones/earbuds - ignore if you wish, LOL):

Aarrgh, headphones -- being a veteran office worker, I have to say I despise headphones -- the latest person they placed me next to in the musical ofc alcove moves of the summer -- was a young paralegal guy, very nice, but he grunted all the time -- seriously -- he grunted every 10 to 15 seconds -- for the 6 weeks I sat next to him I thought I'd go insane -- he had the earbuds on as soon as he got in and it stayed that way all day -- to his credit, I dont think he knew he was doing it - I never did figure out if it was an automatic response to reading emails or printing documents (which he did a lot of) or in response to whatever music he heard -- I truly do not think earphones foster much good office etiquette - people do not know how to relate to others or interact w/ the concept of isolating one's self and being totally absorbed in their music, blackberrys, cell phones...

Glad you hear you're feeling more the thing, PM -- Deanne, you better watch your toes; I too was wondering when you were scheduling that foot surgery you needed? I bet it's still hurting today from that can too. Ouch!

Eden, that sounds lovely (as always) for your kitchen altho I hate to think of those wonderful whimsies disappearing from the cabinets - perhaps you'll be putting something else in their place?

Saucy - sounds like lovely color combos for the tulips - I cant believe you've never planted any bulbs? You never went thru that "phase?" The hardest thing about them, I think, is getting the bloom times right - whether you want the colors to bloom together or in succession (as always like most plant combos one attempts). Van Engelen's is the wholesaler of Scheepers so if you "buy" larger quantities from them, the prices are a bit cheaper and would bring down that $190 a bit I think... gotta find the most bang for the buck, we thrifty gardeners.

Hmm, re mealybugs (Im sure they're related to the cockroach and will survive the end of the world) -- I dont get the q-tip thingie -- have tried and failed that route & gone to bigger guns -- various combos of soaps, sprays, dowsings,etc. -- apparently they have a cycle of within 5 days of laying more eggs, etc., so you have to keep dowsing them after 5 days -- I truly hate to throw all my violets out (which is where they seem to be lurking the most) as a friend gave me most of them.... I may turn them all to toxic soup w/ the household combos - or Im finding a few of the succulents really dont like some of these sprays/oils....

This region is now up over 10 inches above norm for the rainfall -- which is good for going into winter -- so I guess I can put my hoses away for the season. I am finding it very hard to believe it is October though.

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Norma, Happy Birthday, sorry it's a few days late. Hope your day was good!

{{gwi:178363}}

And Ei, don't know if you're back yet but hope you have a wonderful day for your birthday today too!

{{gwi:178365}}

Eden

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Oops! One more we're late on. Happy Belated Birthday to Wendy!

{{gwi:178366}}

Eden

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

BIRTHDAYS? Oh how lax I've been.

To EVERYONE, from our garden!

{{gwi:174858}}

• saucydog
    15 years ago

It's hard to follow that beautiful bowl, GB :)
    {{gwi:178368}}From Idyll Birthdays!
    {{gwi:178371}}From Idyll Birthdays!

{{gwi:178372}}From Idyll Birthdays!
    Saucy

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Birthdays, and I have pictures! How often does that happen, lol!?
    Happy Birthday, Norma
    {{gwi:178373}}

Ei
    {{gwi:178374}}

And Wendy
    {{gwi:178375}}

Deanne-As one shoeless chick to another...OUCH! I did the same thing when I was little. I dropped a peanut butter jar on my big toe and clipped the end of it right off. The doc just taped it back on, and now I have a funny little hump on the end of my toe. Fortunately, I was young enough that I don't remember it, but I bet it hurt!
    Oh, and thanks for emailing me that link. How BEAUTIFUL! A set of eight would be a treasure!

PM, it's good to see you up to posting another beautiful picture. I'm sending good vibes to your back :)

Eden-I think you asked at some point where we were in Michigan. We came in from Marinette, WI., and went to St. Ignace. We kicked around up there for a few days, went out to the Island, and came back across the bridge and took the straightest shot possible to South Bend to retrieve the dogs. I was surprised at how much fall color there is already. We don't have any at home, and I'm not really ready for it. They always put me to work when the leaves change!
    My DD got me started listening to Jack Johnson, and Banana Pancakes is a favorite. Good People is my very favorite.

Oh, gosh! I had forgotten all about that version of Cinderella. I remember it being on TV when I was pretty little, and that I liked "My Own Little Corner".

Saucy, sorry to hear you need orthotics and that they're not covered. Bummer! I had to buy mine out of pocket, too and all I could think about was all the COOL stuff I could be spending that money on, lol!
    Having the internet down when we came home was just what I needed to clear the monstrous pile of crap on the desk. It's amazing how much recycling a weeks worth of junk mail creates.

Cindy, I agree about headphones/earbuds. It's one of my "old fart" things, I guess. It bugs me when I'm out and about that more people don't make eye contact or smile or anything. Earbuds seem to make that worse.

DH is actually talking about starting to pick some corn. They started running soybeans, then we got a little shot of rain that put a halt to that. We've got some corn on sandy ground that could be picked, and it's not going to stand well, so I guess we might as well get it out of the way. Seems awfully early, though.

Talk to ya all later!
    Brenda

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

O my - birthdays and multiples of them!!

Happy belated, Norma:

{{gwi:178376}}

Happy, happy to Ei:

{{gwi:178377}}

Happy Birthday to Wendy too:

{{gwi:178378}}

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Yum ! That got my attention! Marie, what a beautiful picture. I used to have red raspberries, but they have all gone the way of so many of my plants, espacially those that bare fruit.
    Everyone are so right about what grief and stress can do do your system. Do take it easy and let time be the cure. Of course, you will never be the same, but I am hoping there will be lots of joy in your future.
    I am so sorry about the loss of your sister-in-law's son. Much too young....

I am recovering from another rerun of the virus I had a couple of weeks ago. Either the same one, or curtesy of another bug. I wasn't feeling too great Tuesday, and got increasingly worse as the day progressed, by nightfall I was really miserable, and remained that way most of yesterday. I got up this morning feeling better than I have in a long time, but it is wearing off...:-(

We have needed a fire in our stove the past two mornings, and looks like again tomorrow, then warming up again.

I have brought in almost all the plants, except the cacti, geraniums, and the asparagus fern. The utility room MAY have space for the rest. If it doesn't, I may weed some out.

We are in a dry spell, and my rain 'barrels' were either running out, or very low. I refilled them with pond water today. Nolon will soon be disconnecting the pump from the pond, before a hard freeze, but now I have an outside hydrant to the community water.

I see I haven't posted since Sunday, so I have a bunch of catching up to do.
    I want Kathy to know...I finally got that pile of rinsed- off dishes washed. LOL. I do wish I would get over that habit of letting them go until I run out of anything to eat with, or off. It is a terrible habit. I started it many years ago, then when we moved here, and very seldom have visiters, it just seemed like an unnecessary chore. Besides I was so very sick so much of the time, I really didn't care. Now I wish I would change. Neater people would really frown on the practice.
    I love your colorful container pics. That is the look I strive for, but generally do not acheive.

Deanne, so glad your painting job is over for awhile now, but shocked at the SWAT activities next door! How scary! I have never experience anything like that. There have been police activities nearby, by really mild compared to that.
    It is a good thing you resisted taking pictures. You could have been in BIG trouble! Ouch! The can on the bare toe would be excruciating! Makes me hurt to think about it.

Julie, the area that I was born and raised in, in Idaho, has had freezes...some at least two weeks ago. It is in a high valley, near the Rocky Mountains.
    I like your daily routine too, and wish I would make myself do that. Our ceiling fan definitely needs cleaned, but I am getting so 'unbalanced' ( in more ways than one) I am almost afraid to get up one a chair to do it, and Nolon certainly would be of no help. My windows all need the inside and out treatment also.

Pm2, I am glad you are slowly recovering from your back pain. So far I have not been totally down with mine. I am thinking your muscles may be like mine. But with Fibromyalgia, mine are never really totally painfree, and the slightest wrong turn can set them off.

Woody, what a lovely gift you sent to Phoebe. I can see she loved it. :-)
    So, your DH came close to a bad moment too. Have you found out if those lessons will resume?

Cynthia, that is awful about the police killing an innocent man's dogs!

Goodness, there is sure a lot of computer woes going around. I sure hope mine doesn't get hit again.

Saucy, I chuckled about you throwing those plant names around "for class". I am forgetting a lot that I once knew. :-(
    But not 'Dizygotheca elegantisima, and Metasequoia glyptostroboides' !!! LOL
    Your bulb garden sounds like a great plan. I can hardly wait to see the results. I bought a couple of bags of Tulips Tuesday. I am thinking of planting them in pots..setting them in the little red barn until spring, and growing them on the deck, where they will be safe from the varmints.

Good heavens, Brenda! If I did that all of my crepe paper skin would blow completely off ! But I can see you had a great time. Soo, do you really think you have convinced us that this was your last jump ? :-)
    That Kaleidoscope pics is beautiful. I have always loved looking in kaleidoscopes. I still have a really el cheapo that I bought when I was a child.

Eden, we need to see pics of Bella at the apple orchard. :-)

I am sort of envying all of you who do so much reading of books. I haven't got involved in a book for a long time. At this stage of my life, I could re-read all of the ones that I have in my collection, and not even remember how they went...:-(

Woody, we have the housekeeping ideas in common, but I am fortunate to even get the bare basics done. My mother was like yours. If we so much as dropped a bit of lint on the floor she would say, "Pick that up and put it in the coal bucket". ( She burned coal, and that served as the waste basket also.)

I will be motivated to grub out the part that shows before tuesday next week, because we are expecting company from Oklahoma. They are friends that we knew in Idaho. Nolon hasn't seen them since we left in '77. I saw them once after that, when I was visiting out in Idaho. The husband was my boss when I worked at Gibson's Discount Center as bookkeeper. We knew them before that...they are members of
    our faith. They plan on meeting me at the Golden Year's class, and following me home. They will spend the night, before returning home. I am trying to imagine what they will look like now. :-) ( Of course,'I' haven't changed...LOL )

My word! I have typed a thesis ! And still only touched on some of the high points!

Enough for now !

Marian

• deanneart
    15 years ago

{{gwi:178379}}

{{gwi:178380}}

{{gwi:178381}}

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday to Ei, Norma, and Wendy !

{{gwi:178382}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Ladies!! :-)

{{gwi:178383}}

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Resisted the temptation to sneak a post at work-I did a skim this morning but my day quickly spiraled south . And we have a whole boatload of birthdays too.We have a 90% chance of rain for Friday night here-Im hoping it will be measurable. It will be our first rain since at least April, maybe March.
    Julie Job for today : dishes. Dont think that counts. I did however pay one bill . Baseball playoffs are distracting, and I have to watch the Dodgers/Cubs and the VP wannabees at the same time.

Ok , Saucy, what the h**l are orthotics ??? Never planted a bulb? Wow Saucy, that may be more shocking than me never planting or, Kale. Not even Daffodils? Bet your DH was mumbling about the Sox ? They beat the Angels last night. And the Angels are THE team to beat toolol buying the plant a drink ! you are too funny..

Martie, I would gladly ship a case of fine Napa Valley wine ahead to the compound for summer camp, whatever the outcome of the Fall Classic this year ! After we whip up a couple of birdbaths, get our Bach singing lesson, and learn to make a really fattening chocolate desert (Monique) we can have a wine tasting around the campfire.

Good brain function there Deanne on those lyrics..I think the bridge went something like: ..

I have found her
    Shes an angel
    With the blah blah blah blah
    In her hair/eyes ??
    We are dancing
    Blah blah blah blah
    And shes taking me up to the skies

Hi Marian, sorry you were under the weather for a bit. And hooray for the dish-doing completion ! How fun that you will have visitors that you havent seen in so long.

And now for the birthday gals:

Happy Bithday Brenda {{gwi:178384}}From Napa Valley Tour

Happy Birthday Norma

{{gwi:178386}}From sedona

Happy Birthday Wendy
    {{gwi:178387}}From Yachats

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all,

Well I woke up at 4 and couldn't get back to sleep so I finally gave up on it and got up at 4:45. I'm not going to be doing any partying tonight!LOL I've been feeling a bit 'off' lately not sick but not 100% and I think its just the change of seasons and the shortening daylight. I'm such a sunlight driven person you'd think I'd move south where the winter nights aren't so long. LOL

Kathy, you are brilliant.... of course

I have found her
    She's an angle
    With the look of the stars in her eyes

We are dancing
    WE are flying
    And she's taking me back to the skies.

I'd forgotten that the lyrics go back and forth between Cinderella and her Prince. I'm mulling on it and bits and pieces keep floating back.

~ Break~

Speaking of Kale, you should see the gigantinormous Kale in my mailbox garden. It is currently about 4' x 4'. Not kidding here. This is the one that survived the winter last year and I couldn't bear to pull it out. Well it's a star but will have to go in the spring as I can't use an ornamental Kale that wouldnt' be out of place in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. ~~ Surely hope you get some rain there. I can't imagine going that long a time with no rainfall.

Cindy, is that last pic from the last garden on the IU5 Garden Conservancy day? I seem to remember that combination. ~~ I hear you about earphones, I go through that at the gym with folks singing along off key to something I can't hear. Like fingernails on a blackboard. ~~ I agree with you re mealybugs and cockroaches. Have you thought of taking some leaf cuttings of your violets in case they don't make it? I used to propagate mine that way. Takes a while but you wouldn't lose the plants altogether.

Brenda, love that combination with the Fuchsia 'Autumnal', Begonia 'Bonfire', Coleus 'Inky Fingers' and sweet potato vine. That also looks like that variegated boston fern I coveted at Monique's this summer. Did you put that together or was that from your vacation pics?

So I guess if we are going to to IdyllCamp in Maine next summer I'm going to have to start practicing my guitar now for the singing around the campfire. Speaking of Chelone, would love to see a post from her soon.

Hello to all, hope all the birthday ladies had great days for their celebrations...

Have a great day all
    Deanne

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday to the Trio!

{{gwi:154451}}

Cindy and Brenda -- LOL about your take on headphones. I work in an office where there are seven TVs going at the same time (turned down low but there's still drone), where because we all travel our cubes are close enough that four people sit within 5' of me and everyone who's working is on the phone, and where we sift through tons of TV ads pretty constantly for our client's use.

So, in times of complete chaos, which is often, headphones are a necessity -- especially when one is writing a proposal that requires any amount of concentration. I WISH I could only hear the person next to me grunt :-) We all talk to each other pretty constantly, too, but when the "flag" is up everyone knows it's do not disturb.

Different offices require different means of helping sanity. LOL

By any standard Autumn has arrived here at The Park. This weekend we're doing windows inside and out, and the treat for completion is reassembling the seeding/growing on area downstairs. Can it really be time for That??

No experience with Vista .... My DBiL the Mac guru still has trouble looking at my lowly six year old Dell without cringing and suggests I not delve any deeper. lOL

Happy Friday!

Martie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Good morning!

According to the Sarah report, it is chilly this morning. She has on flannel pjs, fuzzy slippers, and a blanket draped around her shoulders while she eats her breakfast :)

I have to get some plants in today.

Deanne, I'm heading out to the Bridge of Flowers tomorrow. I'm kind of bummed that no carpooling was arranged. It's a couple of hours in the car by myself. I'm already making a musical list to sing off key to! :)

I think it is funny that those same people with earbuds in their ears probably go home and plug into the internet to be with their "friends." What will be left of us real people when all the others are playing in the virtual new world?

I've got to get going. I need to find extra articles of clothing for the bus stop :)

Later friends! (Oh yeah! I just figured out that it is Friday and Sue will drop by! Chelone will be so happy to see you!)

Saucy

• jak1
    15 years ago

Good Morning all!

Kathy, if the dishes are bugging you and have become a "gumption trap", and you decide to get them out of the way, then that's a Julie Job.

Mine for today - dusting the light bulbs in the bathrooms. Now Wait! I know! Who in their right mind would dust the lightbulbs in the bathroom? Well nobody, but that opens a whole 'nother discussion. In my case, our bathrooms have those long banks of round lights like a Hollywood dressing room, no shades. They do collect dust. And when I'm, um, sitting there with nothing to read, I look around, and these dusty orbs catch my eye. When I start looking at them every day and it starts bugging me, then I start with the "I really should clean those up some day". It takes about six months to get to this point. Well, it's a very small job and I want to do other stuff today, so...bathroom lights it is. Probably about a three-minute job.

Up here in the frozen north, I have about 1 more week to get everything done outside. I NEED to get those Hostas out and help does not seem to be enthusiastically flinging itself in my direction, so, I am going to give it s shot myself. Probably wreck the garden and myself at the same time....You'll hear, folks, you'll hear!

Also going to mulch the rock bed and fill the bird feeders. If there is still time, the veggie gardens will be emrptied. Then if there's still time AND money (it seems these two things are mutually exclusive) I will get multi bags of triple mix and some garden sulpher and treat all the raised boxes.

Who asked what triple mix (or three-in-one) is? It is a bagged mixture of soil, peat moss and compost. It is just great for amending beds and I add a bit of it to my pots also. I also mix in a bit with the soiless mix for seed starting. I used to buy the soiless mix by the bale and the triple mix on pallets when I had the greenhouse, sometimes 100 bags at a time. The neighbours always thought they were bags of concrete and wondered what we were building!

It is obvious to me that you people are not only great gardeners, you are also wonderful photographers! Every day I see such beautiful floral and garden stuff when I come here - and you all have such interesting lives, yet, well, ordinary too. Down to Earth is probably a better term Haha, no pun intended!)...This is now the first place I come in the morning. Thanks friends!

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Happy Friday!

I love birthdays around here. Thank you for all the beautiful pictures!

Without further ado:

Happy Birthday Ei!

{{gwi:178388}}

Happy Birthday Norma!

{{gwi:178389}}

Things have been busy around here. DS is gearing up for a scout camping trip in the mountains this weekend. We had to go buy long underwear! He seemed thrilled with the concept, and modeled them with much enthusiasm. His gear has been packed and waiting in the living room since Tuesday.

On the garden agenda for this weekend is to finish dividing some stuff, and decide the exact spots to plant the tulips I've ordered. They haven't arrived yet, but I figured I'd try to be ahead of the game for once instead of my usual wandering and staring with a shovel in one hand and a bag of bulbs in the other.

Waving hi to all!

-Wendy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you joined us here Julie...so much better than our scattered emails of the past.

My solution to the Hollywood bulbs, which by the way were expensive and constantly burning out, was to buy two new fixtures instead! I really hated all twelve of them, and after over 10 years of them, DH agreed. Now there are 4 bulbs.

It is a sunny morning and I'd be more enthusiastic if things were a little different here. But we are OK most of the time. Just that it is a long road. It is good having DD posting and sharing emails with us.

Tomorrow is a dinner/dance to support our efforts in improving gravel pit licensing. If you knew me, you would understand how I dread it. I do not feel like dancing EVER, and meeting up with acquaintances in large numbers, all of whom will be treating me like an exotic species after our tragedy gives me the willies. DH really wants to attend, so it is all for him that I'm going. Well maybe for the food too. ;)

The ex-wife is already up to her garbage with my dear little family and I had to laugh when DH suggested they put her in the dog crate for disciplinary action. She truly is a number.

I think I need a nap already. I've been up since...well, since Deanne got up!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

TGIF!

Dealing with personnel problems and almost forgot this morning. All this interaction and diplomacy just wears me right out...lol.

Looks like I missed some birthdays. Hope the days were enjoyed by all.

With any luck I'll get to spend two long days in the garden this weekend. In a couple of weeks the gas company is scheduled to arrive and dig a line to my house from the street. Unfortunately there are quite a few plants in harm's way that I would prefer not to lose so I'd better sharpen the shovel. Even though my containers still look decent, I need to start putting those to bed as well. Then there's the leaves...ugh!

My weekend in Maine went well despite the rainy weather. I came back to water in my guestroom again. It's not coming from the ceiling-that would be too easy. Gotta figure this one out before winter. It originates near the window but I'm never home when it happens. The gutter maybe?

OK, time to get cracking.

Sue

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning! :-)

Thank you for all your well wishes. I seem to be on the mend, just not quite there and trying to be careful not to try to get back to normal activities too fast. I ended up getting over the worst of it with one night of muscle relaxers and one pain pill, but just like you Kathy, I am very sensitive to these types of meds too. The muscle relaxers really didn't help much at all, just made me feel spacey and the one pain pill had my stomach reacting. So that was the end of the meds. Makes me wonder how anyone gets hooked on pain meds. [g]

Gardenbug....so sorry to hear you have had yet more bad news in your family. I can't imagine how any of you could handle more stress. It does seem like when it rains it pours sometimes. We have had that happen more times than I can count and I usually end up feeling like what choice do I have, but to do the best I can with it and not expect too much from myself. From the little you have posted, you seem to be doing just that.

Eden....it is great to see you posting. I always enjoy hearing about what is going on at your house. Yes, long car rides are really hard on my muscles now. I used to really love a good long car ride so I find that really annoying. [g]

A 'Julie Job'....I like the latest Idyll-ism. :-) I like the way you organize yourself Julie. My mother liked to have everything spic and span, especially the kitchen and baths, but clutter, was always something she struggled with. Company coming would always spur us on to get everything just so. She used to tell me stories of how her Mom used to be a very fussy house cleaner. They would do Spring and Fall cleaning every year and everyone helped. They had feather mattresses, that would be taken apart, the fabric washed, dried on the line and then sewn back up, all the curtains and throw rugs would get washed and everything was ironed. The kitchen would get pulled apart and put back together again. It was another world, wasn't it?

Our son made cookies this week. Just what I need while I am lying around doing nothing. :-) Oatmeal, coconut, walnut, chocolate chip. Very hard to resist with the fragrance floating through the whole house. I think I have done well to have had two out of the whole batch. Still, I was already putting on weight before my back. Really need to start moving again.

DH has helped out and made a pot of Minestrone Soup, which was delicious and nutritious. We have started adding chopped up leafy greens...Kale...for the added calcium. Makes a wonderful lunch with a Tablespoon of Grated cheese. Very fall like too. Soon we will have to make a Pot Roast.

I can't catch up, I'm too far behind, but I have done some reading and enjoy very much, hearing about everything going on with all of you.

Friday again...amazing how fast the time is going by. October! Three more months left of 2008, anyone have any 2008 goals they are trying to finish before the end of the year?

Hope to be up and out early tomorrow to 'watch' DH and son play musical plants for me. It is supposed to be gorgeous weather.

Enjoy the day!
    pm2

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Ladies I hope you had the best of birthdays.

Its been a crazy week with limited Idyll time at work so heres a very disjointed post.

Today I sent Kenzie a large envelope. She loves mail. One of the items was a combine picture to color as well as a letter from gramma and grandpa.

Eden, Ill have to wait with the fall container pictures until I get my computer back. I love your solidago and aster combo. I painted my kitchen green and have a lot of red accents.

Norma, they are living in the Orlando area so she gets to go to Disney for her birthday to "see the Princesses"

During the garden tour this a.m. Im pleased to see some nice purple berries on the callicarpa for the first time.

We have hollywood lights in our bathroom, but I am planning on replacing them when I take the wallpaper from 12 years ago off. When that will be remains unknown LOL

Im sure Im missing much but thats all I can come up with for now.

Its a beautiful fall day here I hope you all have an equally nice day.

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Norma!
    {{gwi:178390}}

Happy Birthday Ei!
    {{gwi:178391}}

Happy Birthday Wendy!
    {{gwi:178392}}

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

HI, I'm just doing a quick skim but had to mention to Michelle how much I love that container by the potting shed door!

Off to make lunch. Kitchen ceiling is almost done being painted thanks to Brad.

Eden

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

I'll chime in too -- Michelle, that is certainly a wow container arrangement - beautiful!!

So how would you, Michelle, fill in a container that has a boxwood ball topiary, and ivy that's growing draped over it? I've got them on either side of my front door, and guess it's time to rip out the few annuals I had plunked in there -- but I always have trouble thinking of things that wont harm the growing things -- maybe I need to go hunt for some grasses like you did - I've got the hydrangea heads... hmm, i'll have to see what I can hunt up from the beds.

Gardenbug- I hope your dance goes pleasantly and people treat you civilly and "normally" !

Deanne, those are all IU5 conservancy shots -- I really did like that combo of echinacea (vintage wine do we think?) and other things... I would love to somehow duplicate 3 or 4 of those things together...Of course, Im very fond of classic ornaments too and loved that garden that had all the classic touches of urns and balls, etc.

Sounds like a few of us hope to get out to the garden -- me too - dont know what all I'll really accomplish - there's really lots to do; it should be cool but sunny at least.

Julie jobs -- I do relate, Julie -- I usually make mental notes too of "fingerprints on doors" spiderweb in the upper hall corner, etc., -- things that if I did that old Fall/Spring cleaning from top to bottom as PM talks about, would take care of them all... but like you, Im lucky if I get just one of them done a month, LOL...

Sue, - good luck on finding that leak -- they can be from such weird spots -- like a window caulk missing from outside, punctures in the vinyl siding -- eeek, all kinds of things - I think water leaks are one of the hardest house maintenance things to identify and cure.....

On that note, Im hoping for a dry dry weekend for a change, LOL...

Thinking of Saucy off on her venture to the Bridge of Flowers -- what a quaint name - hope she brings pictures.

-Cindy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?