Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen

Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so

I noticed this morning that much of my garden is devoted to lavender, blue, pink and purple. I hadn't realized this before. It was terribly bright to be taking pictures, but here's what I came up with.

By the barn

Caryopteris

Clematis Joe Zary

Compassion Rose

Pink Phlox

Pinks by the rain barrel

Clematis Sinii Plamia

Astrid Lindgren Rose

Russian Sage

Verbascum

Vernonia

Vitex. It surfaces very late and very tiny, end of June for me, shoots up and blooms starting in September.

And yes, the scent is wonderful, as Saucy and Chelone have remarked!

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavender Blue

I'm partial to lavenders and blues myself. What a nice collection you've got there Marie. I especially love that clematis. I like your watering can too. Now I'll be singing Dilly Dilly all day. I've always liked that song!

Eden

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly)

o
RE: oops

Meant to say that FIRST clematis, Joe Zary. The Sinii Plamia is pretty too though...

Eden

o

They are definitely the colors of the late summer garden here too. But, yet again, the caryopteris I planted last year croaked - that thing just WON'T grow for me!

o

GB, I've tried to broaden my horizons a bit this year, I had a similar situation with all the lavs, blues,purples--but do love them ! I've added more yellow, and even some red-though the red is set apart. Beautiful photos as always !

Kathy in Napa

o

These are gorgeous GB....you've been holding out on us :)

Is the Veronia also known as Iron Weed?

I have Vitex envy everytime I see it....it seemed to be a common theme running through all of the gardens I saw this year.

Looking around my own garden, I see lots of whites and washed out pinks....time to add more lavendars!

Eden, I loved the Burl Ives link :)

Saucy

o

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Thank you, Marie

o

Saucy, Vernonia = Ironweed. There are several kinds I'm told. Mine is TALL.

I suggest Vitex to everyone!(above zone 5) Mark the spot well though, it is very late surfacing. You'll think you've lost it if you have cold winters like ours.

Woody, I've had good luck lately with Caryopteris. I'm not sure why, because in the past it was toast every year. I got solid plants, planted them in FULL sun, pruned back only in spring after signs of growth appeared, like with lavender.

Kathy, I've expanded to yellows, oranges and even red too! I've been VERY shy of red up to now. In addition to color, I've been braver about plant size too: persicaria polymorpha, Vernonia, grasses...

o

All lovely Bug! I especially love that Vitex. I'm going to have to find a place for one. I confess I have a lot of these same colors in my borders this time of the year. Perhaps it is a fall thing?

Deanne

o

Perfectly wonderful! So many plants that I don't have yet LOL I think I'll just have to enjoy your vitex.

Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here