Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarch season 2011

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 11:12

'Tis the season for the monarchs to gather before heading south across the lake... They arrived on Saturday and are still here this morning. Randy and Liam's 'daddy' had a photo session with them Saturday afternoon. Jared's photos aren't up on his on-line photo albums yet but Randy uploaded his last night - finally!

Here are two views I took of the heptacodium tree from the front porch early Saturday morning before the butterflies were active. I was just trying to show the size of the tree and the context around it. The highbush cranberries at the edge of the garage produced so much fruit this year that the branches have bowed down so low that you have to duck to get under them to walk down the center path in the front bed or along the path beside the garage. If the stems don't straighten-up again next spring after the fruit is gone, I'm going to need to do some severe pruning...!

The Queen Elizabeth rose in the driveway border is doing a fabulous bloom at the moment. The stems are well over 6' tall and have been flowering like mad for quite a while now. We like it tall so only cut it down to about 18-24" in spring.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Randy didn't get a really good shot showing how many butterflies are in the heptacodium tree but you can see quite a few in this one:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I like the vivid contrast between the butterfly and the blue sky in this one:

And the butterfly in this one was unusually orange - usually there are paler colors on the wings too. There seemed to be more butterflies this year that are just a strong orange and black...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarch season 2011

I wonder if there are more females than males.....

Here is a link that might be useful: monarchs

o

Interesting link gb - I didn't know there was an easy way to tell male from female. But what I meant about color is less subtle than that - you can see another butterfly to the right of the orange one in that last pictue. The colors on the one on the right run from a pale yellowish color to orange. I'm more used to seeing monarchs like that than ones that are some solidly orange.

We're about to take the dogs for a walk by the lake, near one of the points whre the butterflies depart to cross the lake. We're hoping there will be a lot of them there....

o

What fun! Kenzie would go nuts she loves butterflies.

o

Michelle - the little girls that live across the street love butterfly time and come over to watch them fluttering about...

o

What fun that you get to witness this event Woody.

o

There are still a few Monarchs around this morning but the heptacodium is dropping petals fast:

o

I noticed many more monarchs here yesterday!

o

A feast for the eyes. Thank you Woody! I hope someday to witness a big Monarch Butterfly gathering in person, but in the meanwhile, that was very satisfying, indeed. Thanks to the photographer, too!

Yeona

o

I enjoyed your photos Woodyoak. I hardly ever have more than one Monarch at a time in my yard. I saw four yesterday nectaring on my zinnias though, on their way to Mexico I suppose.
I've seen a couple other people post photos of Heptacodium covered in Monarchs and it makes me want one. I tried to root cuttings last summer and I've never had anything hold its leaves for so long and not grow roots. I'm still mad at them. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here