Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

A Yucky Day at the Farm

gardenbug
14 years ago

Lots of thunder and lightning awoke me today. There are fierce winds as well. Occasional bits of sunshine appear though. Very confusing!

I took a few "winding down" shots to share with you.

So Autumn is here and this is how things look near the barn:

Brown-eyed Susans

{{gwi:178693}}

We took out the Vernonia (Ironweed). It was too huge to cope with any loinger, but what a horrible job extricating it from the rocky location! We planted some grasses there, some foxglove seedlings and moved an Echinacea to the spot also.

{{gwi:178694}}

Then we planted a Caryopteris and a cornus nearby as well.

{{gwi:178695}}

Woody's rose doesn't look very pink in the photo, but it is!

{{gwi:178697}}

The heptacodium was moved from a shady area to sunlight. I hope it settles in nicely with the rain we are getting!

{{gwi:178698}}

In the vegetable garden there are lots of zucchini and eggplants.

{{gwi:178699}}

A few roses too!

{{gwi:178700}}

Like an older woman on her birthday, these still have a certain charm!

{{gwi:178702}}

The anemones decorate the garden fence.

{{gwi:178703}}

The monkshood blooms at the same time.

{{gwi:178704}}

Reed's garden seems to be taking well and should be a good Fall garden in the future.

{{gwi:178706}}

Vitex is a borderline plant here but I have had good luck with it, even though it dies back completely every year. It takes a long wait for it to appear in the spring, but once it takes off I just love it!

{{gwi:178708}}

Other bushes to enjoy at this time: Tiger Eye Sumac, dark Elderberry, Golden Spirit Cornus....

{{gwi:178711}}

Comments (10)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Windy and wet here too but the rain is good after a very dry rest of the month and it'll be great for getting all those mobile plants settled into more permanent quarters! They all look good - esp. that yellow rose... About the only yellows I like are in roses but most yellow roses succumb to blackspot but that one looks so good!

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Lots of lovely fall color in your gardens Bug. Love the Vitex, I should try that. Also love Anemones but I only grow the Robustissma and have never had any success with Honorine Joubert. Your Tiger Eye Sumac is looking fantastic.

Have a wonderful trip.

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Lovely GB - beautiful colors and textures. Reed's garden is very special. Eggplants were great here too but my tomatoes hopeless, all succumbing to blight.

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

You certainly are in a revamping mode with another area redesigned. It is all looking quite fabulous. You have planned well for fall interest. I'll bet you smile when the vitex blooms - its always fun to grow things you are supposed be able to.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

That's some handsome Eggplant. I love your roses and they look so good for so late. I find your Tiger Eye Sumac tempting me to consider getting one, but...maybe in a container. Reed's garden is coming along nicely! Grasses are just the ticket!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Things are looking good at your farm. Other than my potted plants, shrubs and trees, there is not much left in our yard. What the deer have not eaten two large goats finished off! A next door neighbor moved away and left them to fend for themselves! They found our yard to contain some tasty morsels. :-(
    I called our local sheriff's department. The cousin sheriff came after getting off work ( he lives just a little ways up the road from us). After some taking of notes, he went home and got his wife and leashes and took them away. ( I had chained one up to a tree since it had a collar on it.) It turns out the goats are ones their 17 year old daughter (that was killed in last year's tragic accident) had raised , and sold them to the neighbor!
    Charges were to be filed against the former neighbor....His Great Pyrenees was also left behind.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Marian, such a sad situation. Aren't Great Pyrenees traditionally supposed to protect goats? Any news on the fate of the dog?

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

The goats have apparently been removed from the area, but the dog is still there. Another couple have bought the place, and maybe they chose to keep the dog. It IS a very pretty dog...but we are just not into having one. And I don't like the way it choses to use my yard for it's bathroom! I have stepped in it's piles more than once when going out to get wood for our stove. Not a pleasant experience!

• saucydog
    14 years ago

How did I miss this thread?

Everytime I see a vitex I think of you and I think of trying one myself.

I lost my tiger's eye sumac to my inattention at watering one hot summer. Yours is full and bright - great specimen :)

Saucy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Marian - Too bad you don't live closer to here... A friend recently lost two sheep to coyotes and would love to have a Great Pyrenees! She'd probably have taken the goats too!