Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll #490 Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall

saucydog
13 years ago

It seems that everyone's out doing their Fall chores lately. When you get a minute, come on in and say hello :)

Comments (100)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Randy was the photographer - which is why they are good pictures!

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Woody, it's good to hear you're making quick progress, walkies and everything! And the monarch photos are a wonderful sight. I haven't seen that many butterflies in one spot since the butterfly exhibit at the San Diego Zoo.

Deanne, congratulations on FG and those amazing hummer photos. I'll look for the FG this weekend.

Norma, your garden is full of new projects and so much to see. I agree, more photos.

Drema, was it this thread or the last where you described going through the house on a massive declutter project? We've been busy with much the same here.

Leo Spencer is perfect. I can just hear the stern intonation to get Leo Spencer to do his homework, or some other occasion middle names are always invoked. So glad the family is thriving.

Just a quick check-in. Hello to all, Cyn, Chelone, Michelle, Kathy. Brenda, nice to see you pop in during this busy time for your farm. Saucy, it's wonderful to hear of your progress with the GG.

The little raised bed we built at my mom's new digs was a success, and she ate tomatoes from it all summer. Her very first experience gardening at 80 years old! It was so much fun watching her enthusiasm build, especially after her first taste of a garden-fresh tomato. Very difficult to explain the concept of an annual plant to a nongardener. She seems to think it's a failure that the plant dies at the end of summer. There's a huge crop of basil I want to turn into pesto to store in the freezer, and we've planted peas, spinach and sweet peas for winter/spring. I seeded some of that giant Tuscan kale for pots this winter.

It's warming up here too for the next few days. Happy weekend...

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Tired old lady here.

The baptisia is relocated.
    Two containers have been dismantled.
    Purple Avens, white asters and coreopsis have been planted after weeding spots for them.
    A huge wild Joe Pye weed has been dug out of a flower bed. Soil was added.
    Some edging and mowing took place before the rains came.

DD has been going through several issues this week, one involving insurance. Things were a terrible mess with thousands of dollars at stake. Essentially they were refusing to pay for her maternity leave. DD phoned the union and some quick action on their part solved the problem. Amazing how one lazy dame can create so much anxiety! There are sharper knives in the drawer!

Another issue is Leo who is not showing enthusiasm for eating. There are tricks at work, but all this is time consuming and wearing on Maman. He is being closely watched. Add that Ivy has a cough and a cold which DD seems to be catching and that Skyler returns tomorrow and these are tricky times for DD.

I am hoping for a lazy weekend. If it is not too wet, perhaps more gardening. DH is writing up a grant proposal due on Monday. I need to make up a list of reading for Book Club next week. Wish Mary would surface to help out!

Our bridges in the area are all under repair, so it is not easy to get about. Some of the trees are very colorful though and at last asters are blooming with the tail end of the goldenrod. :) The beauty is mixed with election signs however...and sure enough, the woman I support has had her sign destroyed by vandals.

I am enjoying reading an easy book about two English nurses (husband and wife) who spent 6 years in a northern posting back in the 60s. Reminds me of our Peace Corps experiences in some ways.

Off to find my book.
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

There is nothing like a gahden fresh tomato. I will not eat them at any other time of the year. Somehow, those "tomatoes" bred to be rugged enough to be mechanically picked while green and shot into the back of truck just don't do it for me... imagine that?

Very warm and humid yesterday and again this morning. Wreck and I have been out already and he was off leash but required to remain close by... in case. But there were no "black and white" kitties about this morning. A lovely morning that holds the promise of a lovely day. Not sure how I will use it just yet. But putting away the laundry will make a fine start.

A long and rough week at work, though; seemed nothing I did was right, always lacking some detail that had not been conveyed to me at the start of the project. Jeez, I hate that. It's easier when projects are thought through than it is when they're "made up" as you go. For someone who cares about doing a good job nothing is more frustrating that being required to "hit a moving target" day after day. Even a dog will refused to play if you don't let them have the ball every so often. Sigh.

Woody, the Monarchs in your photos are terrific; what a yearly treat they are, huh? And I love the Heptacodium, does it smell nice, too?

Norma's handsome gardens continue to make me smile (as does her too clean potting bench). I really like the idea of turning the difficult grass site into an easy care rock garden replete with groundcovers. Great idea.

And a shame that the little family on the Canadian prairie is suffering under some plague; coupled with worries about a poor appetite in one so young and in need of "rocket fuel" it certainly cannot be fun. But it will pass into memory soon enough and keeping the eyes on the present will make things easier.

I wonder about Mary frequently, too.

13 years ago

gb - I hope things improve for Sarah and baby(ies) - that sounds very tiring and worrisome.

Chelone - the heptacodium has a sweet smell up close but it's not powerful like the Sweet Autumn clematis that is dominating the garden these days! The bees love the tree as much as the butterflies - the tree practically vibrates with bees! So it wouldn't be a good tree for someone afraid of bees/allergic to bee stings (although the bees seem so drunk on the nectar they're not too interested in anything else!)

• chelone
    13 years ago

Do you ever perform a basic, pretty mundane task and then think about how easy it was to do it? Case in point: Wrecks was reclining on the most valuable piece of furniture in the house and I noticed his claws were really long. He was relaxed, and I fetched the clippers and snipped the overgrown claws in under 1 minute. He was FINE about it, though understanably wary. But I recall when he first arrived here and would barely allow me to even touch his feet, let alone "hold" them or "handle" them.

I chalk it up to obedience work and making the time to simply sit and handle his feet with no clippers and no pressure. Then we graduated to one or two clips before the anxiety level increased too much... . And we built on that. So many friends have to battle to clip claws or pay the groomer to do it.

This is why I am a proponent of regular beatings.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Apparently Bouviers tend to be VERY worried about their manicures. This according to our groomer. She is surprised at the difference between Charlotte and Phoebe. I cannot explain the reason. Charlotte panicked if you even looked at her paws...and clipping her nails was a huge production. We HAD massaged her paws as a pup. I hated to use force on her. (DH & DD practically sitting on her.) I preferred to sneak up on her at nap time and clip just one or two nails at a time. Phoebe is much easier, though not perfect in that regard. This week she is behaving oddly, sleeping on her bed in a strange spot. I attribute this to embarrassment over her severe haircut. Also, perhaps the fact that her babysitters allowed her in their bed and we do not! (70pounds of dog with 3 cats leaves no room for us!) By the way, Vita has found several mice to tease lately and brings them to our bedroom at awful times. It's that time of year though. It is interesting that all three cats are mousers but that Vita is given permission to lead the charge.

I am sorry about your rough week at work Chelone. I wish it weren't true, but some things will never change. There are people who thrive on chaos in their lives. It's their juice. Don't even ask how I know!

Norma, add me to the club who is admiring your recent photo postings! I love your tidy potting bench too. I'm using it as my model. I'll get there soon I hope! Now that my table has wheels, I'll be able to hide it away in the garage. This coming week promises cool night temperatures in the 40s. That means playing the "in again/out again" game with sensitive plants. I hate bringing plants indoors in September. That's just too soon. They'll never last under my care until May!

French toast and cantaloupe have been gulped down and the kitchen tidied up (somewhat). The dishwasher has been emptied and refiulled and set in motion. First load of laundry begun. Cat litter boxes dealt with. The bird feeders are refilled. Phoebe has been walked. We have very few birds these days and I cannot explain it. :( On with our weekend chores. Odd weather out there too...
    'bug

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

I'm happy you all like my new arbor. It only took five years of repeted mentioning that I wanted one. LOL He tends to forget very easily. Anyway it worked out well as the place to put it became apparent when I was working on those beds. Sometimes when you don't get what you want there is a reason. I have a clematis Roogucchi (sp) that I will probably plant on the one side and maybe annual vines on the other.
    I used my birthday bonus at the nursery to buys some mums and bulbs the other day so I'm hoping for some decent weather next week when I will have more time to work outside. It is supposed to get quite fallish here. This morning was crisp enough to really feel good on my walk.

I made brownies for DH's birthday this morning. We haven't been having baked goods around here and though I'm not a great fan of them They were delicious. And he was quite surprised to see them when he come in from bow hunting.

Now we need to start getting ready to go out to my hometown for the class reunion. Looking forward to seeing old friends.

Have a great weekend my cyber friends.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

This is going to be a weekend of cold nights and hot days..not the greatest combo for plants ! Everything except the succulents looks pretty weary. This morning I did KP duty and am polishing of the French roast now here at the computer before heading outdoors for some fierce deadheading .

I have been in a frenzy of Tomato eating Chelone , I have one volunteer cherry tomato and have gladly accepted give-aways from neighbors who can�t hand their abundance. Our cool season this summer slowed the bounty down quite a bit, there are still folks who don�t expect theirs to ripen. I think my next door neighbor is growing Early Girls �to his benefit.

�bug, my DS was also a worrisome eater when an infant, and continued to be a picky eater till his teenage years. Now he�ll try anything..funny how that turns out. We had to use all sorts of supplements to get him calories when he was a baby-dreadful things like carnation instant breakfast, caro syrup in his water-all things that I wouldn�t do now if I could avoid it.

Off to the garden, thank you �bug for reminding me to address the bird feeders !

I wonder where Cindy is ?

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I bet Cindy is being a helpful adoring grandmother.... ;)

The second load of laundry is finished, the car packed with bags of trash. We're off to the dump and grocery store. How tedious.

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone. Well, the weather here has been all over the place. We had really high hot winds yesterday, and temps hovered around 88. Today it is much cooler. I have been readying my plants to take in the house. Someone asked me if I was going to use the greenhouse this winter. It isn't heated, and it is built on top of a deck, so we have some manuvering to do before it is ready to be all season.And we need to get the permanent roof on. Skip has been traveling every week for over a month, and when he gets home on weekends he has been working on cars and helping the kids repair washers, etc. I am counting on it for next spring seed propagation.

Today I picked up a lamb's tail at the flea market. I couldn't resist it. And last week I got a new begonia. Crazy this late in the season, but they were so pretty. I also picked up some bulbs which I have to make sure to get in the ground. I haven't been doing anything exciting, my stair painting project turned out really good. Everyone noticed and complimented me. Even the naysayers :0

Chelone, it is a shame that you have to deal with a critical person. Knowing how competent you are, and the fact that you pride yourself on doing a great job, it has to wear on you listening to that day after day. I think she is either jealous or intimidated by your skill, and uses these methods to "keep you in your place." Or to try to undermine your confidence so you don't leave her. Both scenarios stink. Event hough I know you are intelligent enough to see through her machinations, it is not fun to deal with people who play games. Hope your situation improves soon. The last job I had was very emotionally challenging for me, but in some ways, I think I came out stronger, and it made me tougher, which worked out well for the situation I am in right now. My feelings don't get hurt nearly as easy these days.

Kathy, so you made it home okay. You have had a great time of it this month, seeing different places. Good for you. It is so nice to know people who get to go to these fabulous places and share with us. Thanks.

Denisez, nice to see you! How fun for you and your mom to plant a garden. You are such a good daughter to get her interested in some things for herself. It will give her something to look forward to. I am glad she enjoyed it. How is she feeling after the lyme disease?

Woody, those monarchs are amazing. I have never seen so many at once. What a nice treat to look out your door and view that!

Norma, I love your pics. That wheelbarrow is something else! You have a lovely property. Hope you have fun at your class reunion. My 40th is next year. Hard to believe it has been that long. They are already planning it.

I hope everyone has a nice Saturday!

Drema

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Norma, the arbor is awesome! I want one! I really like the first shot of the arbor with the curvy path. What a wonderful area. The wheelbarrow planting is gorgeous and really filled out nicely. You really need to post more pictures.

Woody, those are some great shots of the monarchs. We have them migrate through here some years. I remember the first time I saw thousands in our neighbor's tree. It was a sight to behold.

Denise, how wonderful that you have encouraged your mom to begin gardening. My mom has become much more interested in shrubs and perennials since I've started gardening. Its fun to share divisions with her. She is always telling me that her friends are amazed at all the unusual plants that she has. She of course then tells them that I gave them to her. Funny how proud my mom is of my love of gardening.

Leo Spencer is a wonderful name!

Chelone, what a special pic of Spencer and Mum.

As for winter tomatoes I buy the greenhouse ones grown locally. They are much better than anything else available in the off season. We are still eating fresh ones out of the garden. I made chili soup with a bunch of romas the other night. I've also frozen a bunch for use in soups and sauces this winter.

It has been raining quite a lot this week our wireless guage says we've had 4.29" so far this week. It did quit early afternoon and I was able to get a few things accomplished. I've begun cutting back the tackier looking plants. I tried to only work along the edges of the beds since the ground is saturated. The weeds come out quite nicely.

Things are really coloring up around here. All the fields are shades of rust, gold or tan. The trees and grasses in the ditches are turning as well.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that a new roof is planned for our house this fall. Rick mentioned that the roofer can't come until November. I think that should work as good as anything. The foundation beds should be all cut back and there hopefully should be little damage.

A few garden thoughts:
    Next year remember to cut back the sedums - nearly all the tall ones are splayed right now.

When I note that something should be moved - do it! You know how in the spring everything is so small it seems like there should be plenty of room and no one will be crowded out.

The broom corn and purple kale were both a success in the potager.

A rainy summer makes a great fall garden but also makes for a mosquitoe filled season.

Somehow I have let my subscription to FG expire. What
    poor timing. I will have to locate a copy at the store.

A few items of interest from today.

The backside of the Welcome Garden, looking across the road. Soybeans on the left and corn on the right.
    {{gwi:178894}}

I especially am enjoying this purple kale with the bronze fennel in the potager.
    {{gwi:178898}}

One of my favorite shrubs, Callicarpa 'Early Amethyst'
    {{gwi:178902}}

{{gwi:178905}}

Per Woody's request, the caryoptris 'Summer Sorbet' in full bloom. I like all the yellow and blues in this little area.
    {{gwi:178909}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Ah Michelle! I love yellows and blues too! Yours are fabulous. The asters at this time of year are wonderful. In the nurseries they sell them all tidy and shaped, but here on the farm mine are quite wild looking. I like the way they weave in amongst the other plants. I wish that Callicarpa would grow here. I managed to keep the plant alive, but absolutely never had a single berry. Out it went. Le sigh... This year I have Caryopteris 'White Surprise' which is very much like yours. I am hoping I can keep it over the winter to bloom again next year, but that is questionable. It certainly would prefer a warmer climate. I'm in the camp that really enjoys it. Perhaps that has to do with the color it offers late in the season.(Sorry Chelone!)

Somehow the weekend jobs I had planned with DH have all gone by the wayside. He added 2 more meetings to his calendar and my projects no longer fit into his timetable. Several surprise guests turned up unexpectedly yesterday and there went 4 hours of time. One of them was a young man, about 25, with his girlfriend. Turns out he was in our area for his sister's wedding and came by to show his friend where he used to live. So this was the youngest of the six kids who lived here when the house was renovated back in the 80s. He was 5 years old when they moved away, but like everyone else, he has fond memories.

The vegetable garden needs to be cleaned out which means removing raspberry stems, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. The asparagus is ready to be cut back as well. The fire pit needs a good burn. Like Michelle, many plants have seen better days and need cutting back. I have my anemone blanda bulbs soaking and ready to plant. They say 10-15 per grouping, which mean 3-4 clusters with this bunch. I'm still waiting for the arrival of my bulbs. Unfortunately the bulbs I ordered for DD in Alberta have not yet arrived and they have experienced frost already and even some snow.(As Woody showed us!) September is a time for a great deal of work in the garden and it is my favorite outdoor time!

It is still dark out, so I am hoping it will be a good day to get something accomplished outside while DH is off discussing revisions to Provincial Policy Statements with his gang.

Later,
    'bug

Here is a link that might be useful: White Surprise

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Michelle, I found a good rule of thumb to be to cut back sedums by Father's Day. Worked for me!

I'm still on the lookout for Sedum Xenox. I think I have a source...We'll see. The source below gives thoughts on pruning back for different reasons than shaping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Xenox

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago
  • michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

{{gwi:178915}}

13 years ago

{{gwi:178919}}

Michelle - great pictures! And a reminder that I had meant to find Callicarpa and find a place for it in the garden. Next year I guess....

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

{{gwi:178921}}

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago
    13 years ago

There are still swarms of Monarchs here today. They really like the heptacodium. I think they roost in it and tte cedar behind it at night since they start the day heavily concentrated around the two.
    {{gwi:178925}}

I thought they'd like the SAC but they have no interest in it - so I assume all that sweet scent it pumps out is not matched with large quatities of nectar!
    {{gwi:178927}}

gb - one odd thing clematis this year - my Paul Farges usually blooms only in July. This year it bloomed in July but is blooming again now... Has your ever done that?
    {{gwi:178929}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Woody, normally bees and butterflies show no interest in clematis.
    For me, Paul Farges bloomed from July through to October....The longest bloomer for me. Trouble was, it got way too big and so needed pruning back about 4-5 times each summer! It got relegated to the wild parts of our property last spring.

My small heptacodium has leaves only. I moved it last Fall, so perhaps it needs more time?

13 years ago

gb - in previous years, Paul Farges has just bloomed in July for me. It does get pruned often - since it is on the fence in the south alley, any time I go by and there are long strands reaching into the alley, I cut them off as I pass. The neighbour does the same on their side of the fence so it gets a lot of cutting back all through the growing season.

My heptacodium took a couple of years to really get started blooming. Once it got to be about 6' or so tall it really took off, so yours will probably do the same.

• denisez10
    13 years ago

Happy birthday, Norma!

{{gwi:178932}}

(Count me in as failing with callicarpa. Beautiful photos, Michelle.)

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Birthday Cards with pretty flowers. It just doesn't get any better.

Saucy I love the color of that flower. Is it a hibiscus?

Michelle the mums in the old box are perfect.

Woody is that the brug you grew? Are you going to keep them over again? I like the color.

Bug Is there really a clem named Forever Friends. How neat.

Kathy Love the color combo of your flowers.

Denise I'm not familar with that flower but I love the soft color.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. We had a super busy weekend, but it was a pleasant one.

I had a real chuckle when we came home and listened to messages. There was a singing birthday wish from H&R Block. Somehow that just cracked me up.

Cold enough here that the furnace kicked on once last night. But it feels nice and refreshing out today. Had to restock the fridge today but I am going to make the rest of the week count outside.

A photo from today
    {{gwi:178935}}

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

Before September closes, I am determined to check in, Idyllers.... it seems from a once a day post I've been reduced lately to almost only a single post a month! Awfice conspiracies and grandmothering initiations along with severe allergies (vertigo requiring the antivert that only slightly helped - reducing me to even more dizzy and ditzy than normal) have greatly impacted my idylling and daily living... major Aargh. The last couple weeks were busts for anything useful accomplished or ventured.

Congrats on Leo, 'bug!! My DD is having similar issues w/ Isla - must be something w/ their small sizes and earlier than expected arrivals -- I understand these babes seem to require coaxing and are plain lazy when it comes to any work involved for food intake, LOL. DD has learned that getting only one hour sleep "naps" is not conducive to good health - her DH has been great at taking a batch of the hours, but he's gone back to work himself and so she has been living on sleep snatched where it can.

I am going to try to check in again tonite from home to see all the lovely pics -- along w/ the usual fun, the awfice Goons just threw out new IT hardware and software here at awfc today on computers -- 2 hours demos and then you're on your own -- but they've worked hard to limit photos access, downloads, uploads, you name -- such party-poopers. It's not like we're playing Farmville (at least no one i know of on the job!).

So glad to see Woody is making progress -- Denise has had the thrill to give an 80 yr old a new outlook on life re "eating local" and some grand grand photos here...

Happy birthday, Norma -- hope to throw a pic up later tonite if I can (it appears right now no more from the awfice...darn it).

Havent done a lick of taking a plant in yet despite the cooler temps (altho we saw more 90s days last week and this weekend) - and may not have time to do for a couple more weeks, since delousing and spraying for pests,etc., are much required before I can bring anything inside.

Stella is growing like a weed - I believe she's going to be bigger and longer than Chloe -- so motherly duties also required in the evening there -- gotta grab some photos of her - you wouldn't believe how she's changed already.

-- Waving frenetically to all before I dive back under!

--Cindy

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Hi Cindy, good to have an update from you. Hope Isla perks up on her eating. I understand how you don't have time to Idyll.

13 years ago

The power just came back on after 2.5 hrs of reading with candles. We need the rain - but not the power off! Fortunately the computer seems to have survived the power loss.

Norma - yes, that's our brug. I've turned resposibility for them over to Randy this year. He's doing a far better job with them than I did, but neither of us are very happy with how greedy they are! I'm not sure yet what his decision will be re whether they will be kept for next year or not...

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

There you are Cindy..I was about to e-mail you ! Sorry you are dealing with that vertigo crapola again. At least you have the consoling presence of your little white ball of fluff..though chasing around after an energetic puppy while having a dizzy spell sounds pretty dicey.

We are in the midst of our longest heat wave of the year (almost October-jeesh) , 3rd day of high 90's with disagreement on whether it reaches a c-note. I watered heavily yesterday but will hit the containers again tonight after the sun sinks a bit more. It sounds like Denise is having it even worse ,101 right now in her area, 96 here.

I can't remember if I mentioned my ill-gotten gains from Spokane, 230 bucks from the casino night we were treated too, but I used part of it to buy a reconditioned zoom lens for my camera ! Very excited about this, I've been shopping around for ages. It should arrive next week . And next week also features, thank god, my last business trip of 2010, this one to Reno which is drivable from here (about 3-1/2 hours, over the Sierra) and only a one-nighter. So I saved part of my winning as seed money for another go. It was probably wise of me to spend most of it before I lost it again, lol.

Norma, I think I see a glimpse of the pond beyond the wagon wheel .

Woody, I love your Monarch pics ! We have a town here on the coast near Monterey that is known for it's Monarch population. I've included a link below.

Hope everyone is otherwise ok, and missing our absent ones.

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Grove Monarchs

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I honestly did try to post a photo last nite for a belated card for you, Norma -- but the home p.c. would not cooperate - I hadn't had it on in a week and all the updates/virus checkes, etc., did me in and I turned it off in frustration. But I did get to see the most amazing arbor -- Norma - it looks wonderful and the paths - ooo lala.... I did not see "junk" anywhere. And your wheelbarrow planted up is truly spectacular -- no wonder you've taken such enjoyment from it.

Well, Kathy - I can certainly relate to the 90 temps -- I think I gave up on my gardens in July and with all the other personal stuff happening, they're just a shambles - I am trying to say, next year, next year.

Yes, it is challenging to chase after a pup (who still doesnt do stairs in a 3 story townhouse, LOL) but she's got a wonderful heart and has taken to sitting on my chest like a cat imitating a mink stole when I find I have to sit down and hold my head still...

That's major cool that you will spend your "spoils" in such a fun way -- and we get to share in it too -- more fantastic photos.

Deanne -- meant to tell you - I finally got to read your FG article last weekend and I really loved it -- it was so well written and put together -- it makes container combos very easy to do with such a concept -- and I thank you for sharing! I will hope to put that info to better use next year. I hope you write many more articles and that this is a stepping stone to what I know could be a terrific other venture for you.

Woody - those are the most amazing photos of the monarchs -- how special that you get to see such a thing - I honestly didnt know they did that. A most wonderous sight.

Well, gotta get serious here.. I haven yet to attempt FB from this new p.c.--

-cindy

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi everyone. Cindy- good to see you posting again :)

Norma, I love your picture!

I sort of have to type this quickly. Skip is standing at the door waiting for me. He is going to Pickering, Ontario and wants me to go with him. Soooo I thought I would ask bug and Woody if there are any interesting garden centers, or anything that I should try to go see while I am there. We are leaving now, coming back Thursday so it will be a quick stop, but I will have most of the day tommorrow to myself. I will pack up my computer and check for replies when we stop tonight. Thanks

Hope you all have a good day. It is still raining here, I am so happy and my plants are very perky.

D.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Drema, no good nurseries I can think of at this time of year. But HONESTLY, you can come HERE for a meal on your way through! Email me and I'll give directions!!

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Drema, I'll be jealous if you get to go see GB in her garden :) I think you should go for it, if you can!

Getting ready for an appointment and just peeking in - more soon!

Saucy

13 years ago

Drema - your could always swing by here on the way back....

I've never been, and I'm not sure if there's a retail outlet,... - but Pickering Nurseries comes to mind. They are a major source for roses, particularly bareroot ones by mail. The contact information says open to the public and gives address details. It might be worth looking into.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickering Nurseries

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

We just got in to the hotel, and checking the postings. Thank you bug and Woody for the invites! How sweet of you both. I am not sure where you guys live, but Skip is usually blowing through these places, and works the whole time, then rushes home. I would LOVE to see either, or both. Next time I will try to find out ahead of time, and have him put it in the plan. Unless one of you lives really close to Pickering. I do have time to myself tommorrow while he works.

Woody, I didn't even connect the dots as far as Pickering nurseries. I have gotten roses from them numerous times in the past, they are always very healthy.

TTYL

D.

13 years ago

Drema - which highway do you travel on your way home? (Where do you cross the border? I have no idea what the route you'd be taking is...) I'm sure you'll probably take the 401 through Toronto to get to/from Pickering but, if you then drop down to the QEW, you'd be about 5 minutes from our place at some point....) If you stay on the 401 all the way, you'd be close to gb than me...

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Woody, we stopped in Amherst, NY for the night because we got such a late start yesterday, and are still there. Skip said we cross the border at Niagara Falls, and let the GPS take us from there. He has to be at work this morning, once we get on the road, I will know more about the route and can let you know. I am going to try to email you privately. If you don't get it, let me know.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

I'll be checking my emails on and off today! It would be great to see you on your way back perhaps? Call. I sent you our number by private email. Amherst is close to where I grew up!

Later,
    'bug

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

What fun, Drema - to be on a spontaneous road trip -- I hope you have a great day over the border and maybe can swing by an idyll friend or two.

We're expecting 2 to 5 inches of rain today and tomorrow - nothing like getting it all at once. The succulents (which I should have deloused and brought in last weekend but did not) are now stuck outside -- I scurried around last nite trying to shove them on the shelves and potting bench to give a little cover for them at least. I dont think they're going to like all this rain, much as the rest of the shrubs and trees will.

I stopped at Starbucks this a.m. and treated myself to one of their special Pumpkin Spice lattes -- it's kind of like drinking liquid pumpkin pie... The darn thing was over $5 by the time tax was added on -- wow. Not going to be a habit for me. Luckily I stopped the daily caffeine purchase a few years ago. Of course, I am sure the drink has enough calories to set me up for the rest of the day too, LOL.

Here's hoping everyone gets the moisture they need in their respective areas.

-Cindy

13 years ago

Drema - If you're crossing at Niagara Falls, you will probably be on the QEW on your way east to Toronto, although you will need to move up to the 401 to get to Pickering. I'm not sure at what point your GPS will redirect you there. It should be no problem to take the QEW on your way back to Niagara - and that means you'd be really close to here if you wanted to make a brief stop (coffee and a garden tour...? :-) We go to Niagara a lot - it takes less than an hour from here, depending on traffic.

The 401 through Toronto is supposed to be the busiest highway in North America! Try to avoid it during morning and evening rush hours! It's not bad at non-peak periods but between 6:30-9:30 in the morning and 3:30-6:30 in the evening, you'd rather be anywhere than on either the 401 or the QEW!

I didn't get an e-mail. I'll try sending you one....

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi Woody. Just got to the hotel in Pickering. I sent you a couple of emails, and there is an empty one from you in my mailbox. Must be a gardenweb thing. I will go to my yahoo account and try. I drove the 401 because Skip was on a conference call. It was a little scary to me, but I made it through. With his schedule being so unpredictable while we are here, I can't make a firm plan. I am at the mercy of his job, LOL. He works till 6 tonight, then has to take people to dinner, and can't firm up a time to leave tommorrow. Next time we come up here, I will get contact info ahead of time so we can figure out something that will work. Being here less than 48 hours doesn't leave much time for fun.

Thanks so much for the offer, I really appreciate it.
    D.

13 years ago

Drema - check your e-mail! I just got back from shopping and got your e-mail. There's a reply waiting for you... It would be a shame to miss the opportunity now that you are so close...

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Hoping for an on the road report from Drema featuring an Idyll visit..or two ! Sure hope someone brings the camera...

Waving...

Kathy in Napa

13 years ago

We had a nice - but brief - visit from Drema and Skip. The garden was looking pretty pathetic but it's always nice to have garden visitors, and Idyll ones are particularly special. I only took one picture - and Randy took one. Here are his 'n' hers views:

Drema and Skip in the garden:
    {{gwi:178937}}

Drema and Skip:
    {{gwi:178938}}

(I always include the background context and Randy always takes close-ups. Together, you get the complete picture:-)

Drema gave me this beautiful hummingbird stepping stone - which is too beautiful to step on! I will have to think of just the right spot for it... Thank you Drema.

{{gwi:178939}}

• chloehoover
    13 years ago

I love the combo photos, Woody -- those are great shots - how wonderful you could breeze by, Drema. And such a lovely stepping stone -- but I know you'll find just the special spot in your gardens, Woody.

Great report.

I'm gonna go swim home now....

--Cindy

• chelone
    13 years ago

Oh what fun! I'll bet no one in the Idyll group would think your garden is pathetic, Woody (I know I wouldn't)... it's nearly October, after all. :) It will be fun to see what you do with the stepping stone, too!

I have a friend who suffered from vertigo, too, Cindy. No fun and really very debilitating. Careful on the 3 sets of stairs, OK? Make sure you put a seat belt on your computer chair, too. Spencer likes to sack out on my chest, too, but at nearly 14 lbs. he gets heavy quickly and he likes to "knead" before he settles down for his snooze. But that's OK, too.

Newborns that don't really like to eat?? who'dathunkit? Here's hopin' they figure it out quickly and start packing on the pounds in a meaningful way. All they do is lie around, cry, eat, and crap, right? how tough can it be? ;)

It's a creepy kind of warm still; shouldn't be this warm at nearly October. But, I'll take it! I cut down Iris, phlox, Echinacea, a peony, and did some weeding this afternoon. Wrecks had a grand time, rolling on the grass and then bringing me his ball periodically. The Pride contentedly hung around, too. I saw my first garden toad of the season, today, too. It was a reasonably big one... 3-4" and it made me feel good to know they've found a home here, too.

I was putting in stakes to mark the proposed sites for shrubs that I want to add/relocate in the spring and noticed a veritable Yellow Jacket convention in the Picea omorika. I watched to see if they were heading for a nest under it, but they seemed more intent on hanging around on the boughs... wonder if they're sucking up sap or something like that? (I was very, very careful, though).

Happy Birthday, Norma! I love the picture you posted, along with the birthday pictures from everyone else but me, lol.

I like the use of your winnings, Kathy. Very frugal. :) Have you been watching the Ken Burns thing on PBS? I watched a little of it last night, couldn't stop smiling at the fairy tale quality of the 2004 Red Sox Pennant win and the Big Prize. You couldn't make up a better story.

I am reading "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle", but haven't had time to pick it up since Sunday-Monday. It's pretty good; Gar has died and Claude is likely about to reappear in their lives.

I smell pesto pizza and I'm ready for some chow and some quality time with my family. Waving.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

So exciting to see Drema and Skip under the arbor at Woody's! I'm glad they picked a decent weather day for their visit! One day when the timing is right we'll nab them over in our direction.

Today was a busy day in the garden, pretty much like Chelone's efforts. Lots of cutting back of stuff in the yellow & blue garden, with just a few bits of eye candy left to enjoy. Today DH cut back all the asparagus and carted it away...a good start and a big help! Tomorrow I hope my friends will be able to come help me once more. So much left to do.

Well Chelone, it may seem simple, but infant care is delicate tricky stuff with lots of intuition and guess work involved. This has been 4 weeks from He!! for DD. At the beginning it was a twisted uterus (requiring chiropractic attention), severe afterpains (involving heating pads, belly binding and ibuprofen) and mastitis (which is excruciating and requires painful nursing to help heal and antibiotics as well). Add to this the cough and cold which Skyler, Ivy, Sarah and Leo developed and which caused Sarah to stop breathing at times, and you can see that rest was not much of an option for her. The lack of weight gain in her third child was a mystery to her. So then it became apparent that Thrush was an issue for both Mom and Leo. So now both of them are on oral antifungal. Yesterday Sarah developed a pain below her knee on her calf, and a blood clot was suspected. All in all it has been a terrible beginning...and yet, Sarah feels she has bonded sooner and better with Leo than with Reed and Ivy. I am so proud of all she deals with! You can be sure that Skyler's mother takes advantage of these days to pursue childish games. Skyler too. Tonight he is to write many lines in regard to putting things away (bike & helmet) and taking responsibility for taking his medicines. He has been whining and stamping his feet lately... Oh the joys of being an "evil" stepmom, always wrong and supported by none. I think I'd help him pack his bags personally!

I planted white anemones today (soaked last night) in Reed's garden for spring. I think there are only 1-2 plants yet to go in the ground. Tomorrow I hope to empty the last of the containers and save none of it. I simply don't have the energy to overwinter things this year. I am waiting for tulips and a few other bulbs, but no rush on planting those, even though we expect a killing frost this weekend.

The pe4ach cobbler is beyond ready to take out of the oven!

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone! Just got in and wanted stop by and say what a WONDERFUL visit we had with Woody, Randy and Misty. I loved seeing her beautiful garden, the lovely tuteur and arbor created by the talented Mario, the Queen Elizabeth rose, huge rogersia, feverfew happily blooming and the cimisifuga has made me determined to bite the bullet and try them again. Not to mention the fabulous murder mystery brownies and coffee made from Randy's freshly roasted coffee beans. All in all a treat for us. Thank you so much for the hospitality! Looking back, it doesn't seem like we live that far apart really.

Next time I hope to have more advance notice and can go see 'bug too. But I got to talk to her on the phone, so that was really nice, too. 'Bug, sounds like Sarah has really been through the mill, I hope everything is on its way to being much, much better. Poor thing. My thoughts are with them.

Well, I am heading to bed. TTYL

D.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Drema, what fun to be able to meet Woody, Randy and Misty and to see her garden as well. What a great picture of the two of you under the arbor.

'bug, I tackled the asparagus in the potager the other night, but have the "wild" patch left. Poor Sarah, it sounds like there's lots going on there. Hopefully, things look up soon.

Norma, I picked up the green box at a recycling store. I had it in my hand when one of the workers walked up and told me that it had been his grandpa's tackle box. I was somewhat suprised that he would have donated something so sentimental. The picture with the old wheel is fabulous. What a wonderful combination.

Denise, is that variegated Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate? I had it reseeding in my garden for a number of years and none showed up this year.

Cindy, the vertigo must be awful to have.

I spent some time tonight de-potting. Some of it gets saved and anything that won't be saved is thrown in some of the containers in new combinations (sometimes quite unusual) They make a nice grouping until the frost takes them. Kenzie is coming on Sat. a.m. and there is a low of 36 predicted for Sat. night. Which means we could possible get hit - you just never know. I feel I need to get anything I really want to save in soon. After that its supposed to stay in the upper 40's to 50's at night for a bit.

The beans are coming out. I spent some quality time with my hubby in the combine tonight.

Here's a couple of things that caught my eye tonight.
    {{gwi:178940}}

{{gwi:178942}}

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

HAPPY OCTOBER to one and all! A sunny morning here but won't go above 60F today. Tonight, 39F expected.

DH has a bad cold and is sneezing and wheezing. My nose is tickling me, so I may catch it too, but I HOPE NOT! I'm hoping for a day of gardening!

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Michelle is that Angelona(the purple)? I like the way the laminum and heuchera compliment each other.

My but Sarah has had a time of it. I hope she is feeling some better.

Yea, Drema made it to Woody's for a short visit. How nice.
    Nice pictures of you and Skip, Drema.

I can't believe I have torn into another old garden bed. I needed a place to plant two peonies that I have been waiting to get and all the daylilies in that bed needed dividing so I have pulled everything out and am amending the soil. Geesh I am always making more work for myself. And I thought I was done for the year.