Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jak1_gw

May I join you?

jak1
15 years ago

Hello! While browsing the 'net this weekend I came upon this forum. You folks look like a fun group! I was pleased to find Gardenbug here - a friend from another forum, and I would like to join you if that's o.k. My name is Julie and I live in Eastern Ontario Canada, not far from Ottawa. I love to garden, although I often wonder if my life will be long enough for me to learn and do all that I would like to! I am retired, live in a newish house in a subdivision in a small town, along with my DH, DS (not always dear!) and DGS (age 6,almost always dear!). I also have an adult daughter who lives about an hour away from us. Living with three males is often a trying row to hoe - I sometimes refer to them as "The Philistines"! We also have a cat and a dog, the cat a foundling, the dog my last year's Christmas present. My gardens are my sanity, and give me much mental satisfaction and also much needed physical exercise. I have just this last few weeks come upon a photo site that allows me (I am technologically challenged) to transfer my photos from camera to computer, save them, fix them, find them again and post them. I am looking forward to sharing with you.

Comments (19)

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Hi there! Of course you can join us, and it sounds like you'll fit right in.

I'm running out the door now....errands you know....but wanted to say "hello" since sometimes it can be pretty quiet in here between coastal check ins :)

Saucy

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hi, it's so nice to see new Idyllers! Of course you can join. Jump right in and have fun.

Welcome Julie!

Jerri

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Welcome! You'll be providing the true cold climate garden perspective if you're near Ottawa :-) I'm a sucker for dogs so what kind is yours...?

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Welcome, Julie!!
    Brenda

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hi Julie, welcome from the Pacific time zone over yonder...
    Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My pup is a Boston Terrier, a sweet handsome dude if I do say so myself. Hmmmm, how does one post photos here? Remember, technologically challenged....and thanks for the welcomes!

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I'm attaching the link that I use to post pictures when I need a refresher.

Wow, you guys really know how to welcome a newcomer :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture Posting on Garden Web

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Hi Julie! So glad you are joining the "Idyll" threads! Michelle's Kenzie is moving away, but now we'll have Adrian's activities to keep up with. Adrian and Skyler should meet one day for lunch! They'd eat nothing!

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Julie, we expect Boston Terrier photos soon! LOL

Lots of help is available on how to post pictures. If you have questions or trouble just ask. :)

Jerri

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Hi Julie. It sounds like you have your hands full with a DH, a DS, and a DGS all in the same house!
    I am looking forward to your pictures.
    I certainly can understand your garden being your sanity. I used to feel that way, now is is my computer that is my sanity. :-)
    Most of my gardening is in containers now, but I am still the mower and maintainer.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Welcome Julie. Any friend of Marie's is a friend of ours. Looking forward to getting to know you. We love gardening, pets and children here. Looking forward to hearing about and seeing yours!

Eden

• jak1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for the welcome!

Marie, you crack me up! I laughed right out loud when I read your suggestion to have Skyler and Adrian for lunch! Adrian might do o.k. if French Fries and Chocolate milk were on the menu. As long as he didn't have to write down his selections first! HAHAHA

I have explained the basic food groups to Adrian (Jr. Phil)and have pointed out that he does quite well on everything except protein, and have told him that I am not cooking a special dish for him, that the family has perfectly good dinners and he will get what we get. Fine. Last night he had potatoes, corn, and salad, and a big piece of cheese for the protein while we had chicken. He then told me he needed a separate fork for each kind of food. You can just imagine how well that went over.

His Daddy (Inter med. Phil) thinks the food groups are Breakfast (coffee), Lunch, Dinner and snacks...

I was up at 6:20 this morning with sore hips, to a dark and rainy morning. I need a day like this to get things in order inside the house. Still have to do a lot of fall cleanup outside but the front of the house looks pretty good for Fall. I think I'll ask DH to light the pilot light for the fireplace - time to chase out the chill in the mornings already!

Although it is sometimes difficult to have a small child around all the time, I think it would do me in if Adrian was to go - so I feel for you, Michelle, if I have it right, that your GC Kenzie is moving away. Is Kenzie a boy or a girl? Neat name.

And as I expected, I tried for ages yesterday to post a photo....no go. DH (Sr.Phil) will be able to help me figure it out this morning, he says, before he goes to his regular Tuesday night golf League. It's raining....he will go anyway....and I have a Horticultural Society meeting tonight too. You might not see any photos till tomorrow....

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Welcome Julie! I look forward to getting to know you, your family, your pets and your garden ;o)

Kenzie is indeed moving this month. She is 3 1/2 and female. I'm going to miss her like crazy but I have no choice than to adjust. I don't believe reality has hit me yet.

Michelle

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I laughed about the food issues. Our nephew (who has just started university) was a very odd kid re food. When he was a toddler he ate well and particularly LOVED olives. As he got a few year older though he got very picky. He liked pizza though but once they ordered a party sized one that was rectangular with square individual pieces. He refused to eat it because pizza slices were supposed to be pointy! He has improved a bit as he got older but is not a fan of veggies - Christmas dinner tends to be turkey and potatoes for him. However he devours sushi and raw oysters...! (I think it's the teenager affection for all things gross :- ) I have a lot of sympathy for fussy eaters because I'm one myself!

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Hi Julie! Welcome aboard. I love your description of the Philistines. It sounds like you have a great sense of humor and will fit right in.

V.

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Welcome Julie. You'll fit right in. Looking forward to seeing photos of your garden, hope your DH gets to helping you soon. I'm especially interested in seeing your greenhouse. I don't recall any other Idyll having one? Sounds great.

• jak1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Oh, you must have looked at the page I set up many years ago when I first dicovered GardenWeb. Sadly (in a way anyway) we have sinced moved and I no longer have my beautiful greenhouse. I will see if I can find and post some photos of it...it is one thing I realy really miss about my old house...

• just_t
    15 years ago

Welcome to the Idylls Julie!

T

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Welcome indeed Julie! You are already part of the group.

Deanne

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH