Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerri_okc

Idyll#399: Autumn arrives

Jerri_OKC
15 years ago

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

~Stanley Horowitz

Comments (101)

• denisez10
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Put him in the long boat til he's sober! (repeat twice)

Why can't I see Saucy's Tower Hill photos? I get directed to my own Picasa sign-in page when I hit the link. France and Germany have already banned a pesticide they feel is linked to CCD/colony collapse disorder, but there's some foot dragging stateside, apparently.

Cindy, that clem shriveled up mid summer then popped up threaded through the grape vine. I haven't seen those full double flwrs since I bought it a couple yrs back, only getting the single flwrs.

Deanne, I copied the photo of the bronzy-leaved pot set in the middle of the garage, with the handsome Rahji looking away. It's gorgeous. A nursery I checked out today had massive potted begonias, which started a mental dialogue with you as I perused the aisles ;) I brought home a little fern, Cheilanthes sinuata, the "Wavy Cloak" fern.

I keep forgetting to mention that castor bean plant/ricinus and fennel have naturalized along the train tracks in So. Calif. There was once some idyll context for that statement, which I've completely forgotten. It's always fascinating, the stuff that naturalizes. The tap-rooted tamarisk plagues the deserts like Anza Borrego in the Southwest. In England buddleia is rampant along the train tracks. The PNW is overrun with crocosmia.

I think the first record I bought, perhaps age 9ish, was the Young Rascals Greatest Hits...

Ei, I loved your large candlestick/glass bowl bird bath idea. Genius!

V, tonight we'll raise a glass of Chimay to the industrious Trappist monk brewers...then probably sing a few more courses of What do you do with a drunken sailor?...

G'night, Calliecat!

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Not a response, 'bug, just an acknowledgement that your assumption is most correct as to where my thoughts are. That is a very lovely prayer.

Denise

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

(((Marie and family))) Our thoughts have indeed been with you and your family. How does one come to terms with such a loss?! May you all find strength in your love for each other....

The 'Big Fuzz' is enjoying her time with the 'Little Fuzz' and renewing her acquaintenance with the neighbourhood pack.

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

I like that prayer too and would like to be thought of that way someday.

Take the time you need Marie and know that we are here for you.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

((Marie & family)) You know we are here for you and respect your need to for time. I so wish this didn't have to be a cyber hug.

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

My world is turning gold quickly. Of course Im referring to soybeans and corn. Today was windy, damp and cold.

For those wondering, Kenzie will begin her new adventure to Florida this Friday or Saturday. She is to ride down with her other grandparents with her mom and dad to follow in a few days. We had a fun weekend together.

No closet cleaning for me! I need to figure out why the slide show I created for Kenzie wont burn on the DVD.

Deanne, Kenzie enjoyed Rahjii in the garden, although, she was a little concerned about him being on the street. She also mentioned that single daylily still blooming looked like a butterfly. I like the way the container he is posing by compliments his coloring. Your gardens are looking stunning and I wish mine looked ½ that good.

Kathy, I should check out those garden ties as the bright green just dont do it for me.

Someone mentioned they were reading "The Shack" which is my current read as well.

T, Im having the same anxiety about the front door garden. I usually just start throwing things in and only really carefully think about shrub placement. Everything can be moved.

Other than the shrubs that we put back in that area, I planted 3 perennials. We will see what develops.

Ei, Im sorry to hear that your sister is in her 3rd battle. How wonderful for her that you are close and such a support. My sisters are 4 and 6 hours away. Having met you I can just picture the bee episode and it certainly brought a smile to my face.

Eden, I continue to think about your mom and your sister as well.

Ahh, Martie some things are just junk! I know Brenda would agree.

Saucy, its still fun for us as gardeners to see the progress pictures. Theres plenty of "finished" garden pictures to be seen.

No felcos here. Ive lost too many in the compost, so I stick with the cheapies, well maybe not the cheapest of the cheapies. I actually have a nice pair of scissors that I use much more than I do pruners.

Denise, there are a few videos maybe when I get a little time.

Chelone, did I ever mention that Maine is one of the states Id love to visit LOL

V, Id be relieved about the wedding plans. Having an outdoor wedding in my garden would be enough to undo me.

Night
    Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Thinking of you tonight Marie. I was awake and I heard a noise and decided I might as well get up and go downstairs. When I looked out the living room window, it was like daylight out there. I went outside to see if I could see the moon and it was low in the sky, but very big and full and bright, and the sky was so clear, I could still see stars. The air was tropical and a gentle breeze kept ebbing and flowing like waves on the ocean. The most beautiful night all summer. It brought to mind the poem you posted. Maybe the weather is different where you are this early morning, but at least the moon is the same, no matter where all of us are, we are looking up at the same moon. Thinking of beautiful Reed tonight.

• chelone
    15 years ago

That's a lovely sentiment, PM2, perfectly and eloquently stated. It's a beautiful morning here, too. Quite humid and very warm, there is the lovely "white noise" of crickets and the occasional frog drifting "over me windowsill"; all the things contained in the Hopi prayer, just with a New England twist. I wonder if this will be the last "summer-like" morning of 2008? Good to see a post from you, 'bug. We're here whenever you need us.

Woody, I was thinking about Phoebe yesterday and wondered if she'd settled in quickly and easily. Friends who will happily watch pets are generous in deed. I'll try to get the photos out of the camera today and put some up for everyone.

The helpmeet is going to install a new, 1", PVC waterline to the spigot in his garden. He is rabid about getting the new grass planted, as this is a great time to do it. Personally, I'd rather get the Magnolia "Butterflies" moved (going to to a huge chore), and a Forsythia that is going to be equally problematic. I diplomatically pointed out that dragging a 7-8' Magnolia over newly planted grass seemed risky... (he saw the logic in it), but I didn't mention the Forsythia. Best to quit while I'm ahead, methinks. :) We have a busy few days ahead of us.

I've thought of you, Eden, nearly every day, too. I did not comment on the lovely pictures of the lake you posted a long time back (seems as though I've lost all track of time in the past week). I've never seen the Great Lakes but they must be beautiful. I know what you mean about one crisis after another, sending good thoughts that things level out soon.

And then there's Michelle who is looking down the barrell of Kenzie's departure for the Sunshine State. Oh my... . I'm certain if anyone can figure out the mysteries of burning pictures to a DVD it will be you. And I have great faith in your ability to defy the miles and remain in close contact with her. I loved her comment about the blue tomatoes, that kid doesn't miss a trick, does she?

Closet cleaning... I live in a "closet", you guys. There is so much clutter that needs to go "bye-bye" here it isn't even funny. And then there's more at THTTF. Kudos to those who have decluttered with determination. If any of you will accept a working vacation you can enjoy autumn in New England... any takers?

PM2, please tell us about the tree.

(enjoying "Innocent Traitor" by Alison Weir, which surprises me actually)

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

First off, and most importantly, it's good to see Marie check in. Whatever time you need, however you need it, we'll all still be here. The poem just says it all.

It's an absolutely pea soup morning here. 74degF at 7am on 9/15???. Last night at 6pm we couldn't see across the cul-de-sac for the fog.

Made a major dent in the apple bag and indeed, the house still smells great. Set the date for applesauce day and have rallied Ky and my niece with whom I've been making sauce for the last 18 years. Rich is choosing to depart for the day in lieu of dodging a kitchen full of boiling pots and grinders and hot glass. He has NO idea what he'll be missing! LOL

So sorry about Callie-cat, Marian. That must've been really hard for Nolon given his soft heart for felines. She has lots of good Idyll pet company, though, and my guess is that she'll blend right in.

Gratefully, an office day today. Am I getting old???

Good vibes to everyone!!

With "Groovin'" self-streaming through the brain....

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Well...I miss being here lately. I was so tired last night I shut the light off at 9pm, so no surprise I was up at 3:30am. I can't seem to trick my body into sleeping more hours, but I feel rested and now I have some time and energy to try to catch up a little. Busy weekend here, getting rid of the old branches that have to be cut to 3ft or smaller lengths and tied in bundles for the removal service to take them. Yes, I have taken a few photos and will post some later when the new plants are in. A Western Arborvitae 'Excelsa' is what is arriving this morning. The position in the yard is not ideal for it, but it wouldn't be ideal for anything. I am in dire need of something evergreen and I wanted something dark. I had a 40% off coupon to use and the nursery had some very happy, healthy looking 7ft by 5ft wide trees that the person at the nursery recommended. So it is only costing $60. for the tree and almost that much to deliver and bring the tree to the hole on the property. Two fees, which surprised me. Kathy, you asked if it would give me more sun...not really. It is in the shadow of a larger tree anyway, that shades the whole back border and adding evergreen in that position may make it a little darker there, but I don't think it is going to block the sun from the surrounding shrubs, but I am keeping my fingers crossed I can maneuver it into a good position. We have a line of chain link fence with weedy vines, a shed, and a telephone pole in the distance, that we are now looking at without the old tree. Which we would have been looking at soon when the leaves dropped, any way. This seven footer, I think will block out a good portion of that. Anyway, not that exciting as garden projects go, but I am hoping this will work out, it is a very necessary piece to the puzzle of my back lot line that I've been trying to work out for awhile. I'm preparing myself to be disappointed, but I just can't come up with a better solution and have been going around in circles about it for way too long. Who knows, maybe I will be tickled pink. :-)

I am also relating to 'T' and Chelone about the 'garden angst' trying to make the best plant choices and place them correctly with the Back Lot Line project. I don't enjoy this part of gardening, I'd much rather have everything in place exactly so, come out each morning thrilled with the way it looks and 'tend' to the garden. That would make me happy. I love choosing plant material, I just don't enjoy placing it.

So many of you here with heartaches and so little anyone can do....just wishing you all someone that loves you nearby to make things a little easier.

No Felcos here either. We bought a cheaper variety at Lowe's this time around. I know I had two but I can only find one. [g]. Something we find ourselves replacing too often, so I don't invest in something expensive. We use a set of Kitchen Shears in the garden, that are always coming in handy.

Woody...you are reading the same book I am reading, that I recommended to Eden. Which reminds me I need to finish it up, it's due back at the library. This is my second time reading it, I really enjoy that time period and location.

Ei....I haven't read The Beach House, but I heard it was good. LOVED your bird bath with the glass bowl. I don't know how you come up with these interesting projects...lol. I would like to see the other different colors when you have a minute. I see you have a very pretty bell in your 'hippie den'. We were all talking about bells by the door instead of a 'doorbell', recently. I have wind chimes but no bells yet.

Marian....I'm so sorry to hear about Calliecat. Poor Nolon, too.

Michelle...I need to find more cardboard soon. We have those Ladybells in our yard and I am trying to get rid of them. After pulling them out three times in the last month and they just keep coming back, I've decided to smother them. DH and I have called around to different stores and found some very willing to allow us to take their cardboard. Crate and Barrel has been a good source.

No closet cleaning here. We have a long list of missing items, that we have decided there is some kind of creature that is slinking around the house, making mischief and has a hidden stockpile somewhere. :-) Chelone.....'I live in a closest'....lol. One of my bedrooms is starting to look like a storage room, I know the feeling.

V....we have had a terrible time with succulents and cactus summering out in the garden, this year, with all the rain we've had. I ran out of patience dragging them in and out and put them under a glass table where they still get wet, but at least not soaked. They are not doing well. It's just too funny that they will be relieved to be back in the house for the winter...lol.

Julie....everyone in our house golfs, but now that our three children are all working and DH has a bad back, their trips to the golf course are few and far between. They do love getting out there though. Our middle son did a summer of caddying and DH also when he was young.

Cynthia...do you have more gray boarders?

I am astounded that Mary is starting on Bathroom #2!! Mary, I have a couple of bathrooms that need an update, do you travel? :-)

Denise...your Marty sounds like quite the adventurer. It's so great that he stays active, too bad you couldn't entice him into a new hobby that was 'less exciting' for you. [g]

Well....as usual....I start reading all that is going on with all of you and my enthusiasm turns into a novel. I'm sure I have missed a whole lot, but I have to end here....

Waving to those I missed... :-)

Oops! Deanne...I have been enjoying your photos but haven't had a chance to click on your link yet. Next time around.... Gorgeous photos and 'Where's Rahji?' is just too funny.

pm2

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

(((Marie))). And yes, my thoughts are with your family and have been all week.

I'm here to report that I still have dirty gutters, BUT, in my effort to procrastinate I slept in to the soothing sound of gentle rain falling, did laundry, vacuumed, read the Sunday paper, worked on a Sudoku, took a long walk, hit the grocery store, stretched and lifted weights then pooped into the hot tub for a bit before dinner. Guess I should stop measuring the success of my day on my lack of ability to complete one task. Maybe it's time to find a gutter cleaning company.

Manic Monday...back to the salt mines.

Sue

• saucydog
    15 years ago

The Hopi Prayer is beautiful and PM and Chelone have captured the sentiment beautifully on this beautiful New England morning. You and your family are in my thoughts, GB.

Simply put, the GG = Goddess Garden. Or SGOG = Secret Garden of the Goddesses. I found cast iron statues in the Want Ads earlier in the summer. Stonedust paths, a large trellis, and an intimate seating area are the things I'm working on before their final placement. I sort of jumped the gun and bought lots of plants, so I have to plant those, too :)

I'm glad you all liked my Tower Hill trip. Today I go to see about the Gardening school, and cross you fingers, I might be working at the reception desk a couple of days a week.....

I think a long walk out of doors is in order for this morning.

Saucy

• chelone
    15 years ago

I'm trying to organize some "before" and "afters" for you guys, but it's slow going for one who's picture files are definitely a "closet". Here are a couple:

This is after the last round of pounding downpours a couple of weeks ago. The ground absorbed it all in just over 24 hrs., but the soil was soggy for a couple of days afterwards:
    {{gwi:179487}}
    this was taken a few hours later:
    {{gwi:179488}}

This shot is a pretty good overview, Woody. The two bright green plants in the background are Viburnum seiboldii. They get big and will tolerate periodically wet soil.
    {{gwi:179489}}

And this is the little piece of statuary that tugged at my heart when I was in a particularly reflective mood on Saturday. He's very small, only 4-5" long:
    {{gwi:179491}}

The wind is picking up outdoors and it's a glorious morning. September is one of the most delightful months here on the Compound.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

It's a lovely morning here and I'm enjoying my AM cup of coffee before heading out to water, feed the brugs, then get some exercise.

((((Marie)))) I can't begin to tell you how my heart is hurting for you and your family. You've been in my heart and thoughts all week. If friendships and loving thoughts could support someone you'd have felt yourself supported in our loving embrace. We are here should you need anything.

Saucy, How cool about the Gardening school at Tower Hill. You'll have to tell us all about it. I'm envious of your being close enough to them to do that. If I lived closer I'd be right there along with you. ~~ Love your terrapin card. Neat!

Sue, I"m with you on calling a gutter cleaning company. I get a bit antsy every time Doug gets up on that roof. He doesn't bounce as well as he used to. ~~ So did you 'poop' into the tub or 'pop' into the tub????!!!!! I split a gut laughing.

PM great score on that arborvitae! Looking forward to seeing pics of it in place.

Chelone, let us know how you make out moving that Magnolia. I need to get some grass seed planted here as well. The new lawn on the top of the hill mostly washed down the hill with our tropical deluges this summer, along with all the lovely compost I lovingly spread about up there. Time to re-do it and hope it gets a better hold before we get any more torrential rains.

MIchelle, I'd love to see some photos of your golden soybeans and corn. Sounds lovely and typical of your area. ~~ FY your and Kenzie's information, I was concerned about Mr. Rahjii strolling about the street as well. He thought since I was in the street he could too. What a nu-nu that boy can be. ~~ That daylily is the lovely and very long blooming 'Pastel Classic'. I'm hoping the rodents leave that alone this year. They completely ate the roots away from one of the three plants I had there.

Cindy, I feel your pain re Neighbors.... I've never had good neighbors on either immediate side of me and its such a shame. One side thinks it's an eyesore and the other side cuts and rips things off that grow even an inch over the fence line (even though my property line is 12 inches on the other side of the fence). The kicker this year was when he cut a lovely dahlia flower off and threw it back over on my side of the fence. Poor thing didn't know it was growing into hostile territory. It was just looking for a bit more sun.

Kathy I've thought several times of getting that soft tie stuff from GS. Glad to hear you like it. I think I'm going to order some myself. ~~ LOL about the kitties being scarce when one is running a vaccuum, too true! I've often wished that I could vaccuum the boys to rid them of excess hair. LOL

Eileen, I love that aloe and agavae pot and I think I spy an haworthia in there too? Anyway I'm really partial to that variegated one. I've been holding off starting an agavae collection as the last thing I need is another collection of plants. LOL

Marian, so very sorry to hear the sad news about Callie Cat.

Woody, I've been thinking of finding a place to put a heptacodium for a while. I love yours. Pics???

Thanks to one and all for the kind comments regarding the garden pics. I so enjoy sharing the images with my gardening friends. You've made my day.

OK time to get off this computer and get to work.

Have a good day all,
    Deanne

PS What a treat there was on Good Morning America, They had James Taylor with Yo-Yo Ma playing 'Sweet Baby James' on the front porch of a building in Stockbridge MA. Doesn't get better.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

OMG...lol, no, I didn't poop in my hot tub, I popped into it. Good grief!

Looks like some great choices, Chelone. Good plan to get larger plants to start.

OK, now I'm really gone.

Sue

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Good morning - how lovely to see you, Marie -- I know the idylls offer some semblance of reality in a world gone mad -- the prayer is so lovely. You know you and your family have been much in our hearts -- as are others who are suffering.

Chelone -- those are great shots and it looks like you have picked great shrubs for that area - it's going to be great when filled in.

Sue -- some weeks, those meditative relaxing weekends are necessary for revitalizing.

Yep, off to manic Monday.

--Cindy

• chelone
    15 years ago

Another one loitering at the screen this morning. I was listening to NPR, but would have loved to see James and Yo-Yo doin' their thing together. I love Yo-Yo Ma, he has a such a nice "way" about him. Anyone willing to take a gig on Sesame Street or Mr. Roger's Neighborhood is all right in my book!

So, in the same vein, the first piece they played on the classical program was Johann Strauss' "Blue Danube Waltz". I'm a sucker for waltzes anyway, but that's one of my favorites (recalling 2001, A Space Odyssey). Seemed a hopeful way to begin a new page in our virtual relationship here.

Thanks for kind words on the new planting. Doesn't feel as though we've gotten very far even though we have. Deanne, think of how much the downslope lawn is going to enjoy the "manna from heaven" the deluges have washed its way. Important to keep the focus on the good things.

And I meant to tell Cindy that I completely understand feeling the way you do about the neighbor and the overall importance of the invading Crape Myrtle and the illegal kitchen in the BIG PICTURE. That was exactly how I felt listening to that rich old man grumble and whine about his stupid boat canvas last Friday. It was an honest oversight and I'd apologized and said I'd take care of it, but he had to belly-ache some more. For emphasis? what? You were clearly more polite than I was "in the moment", but we all have our limits for "stupid". Have you found the missing shoe?

What next?

• chelone
    15 years ago

Hey Sue, want a Baby Ruth? I hear they float...

(sophomoric laughter from the Compound)

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hi 'Bug, Like the others, My heart has been with you and yours all week. I cannot begin to express my feelings yet.

O.K. vtskiers (Sue, right?) tell me it's a typo and you didn't really poop in the hot tub before dinner ..laughed right out loud at that one!

Yesterday was a loss in terms of getting anything done - did the church thing, family went out for lunch, came home, had a much-needed nap, barbecued for dinner, watched a movie, went to bed.

Today the house looks awful, but our weather is terrible too, maybe a disturbance left over from Ike?, so I will fix everything up. At the museum garden yesterday I saw huge bunches of huge purple grapes. As I have done some work on that garden with no thanks or acknowlegement, I am going to call them and see if I can harvest a few bunches to add to mine to make the grape jelly. Sr. P, Inter P. and Jr. P, won't touch it although it is delicious, but I usually don't have a problem finding homes for home-made preserves.

You all seem to have such wonderful projects underway! The GG, the bathroom renos, dumpster diving for cardboard, shovelling out closets - I'm getting tired just reading about this :). I still have a looooong way to go with the bricks. In a couple of weeks it will be too cold to work outdoors, so that has to be my main priority if and when it dries up and the sun shines.

It is cold, windy and wet here today. We have indoor shutters in all our bedroom windows, I'm not much of a curtain person, and we like to sleep with the windows open as long as possible. Last night at about midnight a huge gust of wind and driving rain hit the back of our house and the shutters flew open with a huge bang! I just about hit the ceiling, I jumped out of sleep so suddenly. The big brave watchdog tunneled under the covers. I got up, got towels, dried up the water, wiped off the shutters, closed the windows and went back to bed. At least now I don't have to dust the shutters as part of todays cleaning!

All the orchids are coming in today. I cleared a path through the storage room to the lights and cleaned everything up there. I would like to put them back into the solarium window, but with the leaves gone from the trees in the park, the winter sun is pretty brutal there. Nice for warming up the house though. I am planning to take cuttings of all of my geraniums this year and root them in that window. I bought some clear plastic beer glasses and some indelible markers so that I could root them, pot them, and write down on the pot what the colours are, but of course now I can't find them.

We are very lucky to have gotten this house. It is a bungalow in a new subdivision, something I never thought I would buy, but we have a green space park beside our house, maintained by the municipality, and the original stone farm house and seven acres are directly behind us. There is a lovely orchard there, with apples and pears. The owners of the farm house are very generous - they have hung swings on the trees for their grandkids and are happy for Adrian to use them whenever; they have a large area where they compost leaves and grass clippings and are fine with all of us suburbanites tossing our garden clippings etc. there, and are quite happy if we take our wheel barrows over to get some compost or leaf mold for our gardens. The house looks little, but is actually quite large as the basement is completely finished with a full bath, large family room (full of toys I must say) a bedroom, and an office, and the storage area with the furnace and all that stuff. We needed a bung. as DH had terrible arthritis in his hips, and was literally bedridden when we gave up our old century home and moved here. Fortunately he now has a titanium hip and is about a thousand times better. This reminds me, I better get to work on the pictures!

I'm the same as the rest of you with the pruners. I have cheap ones all over the place - on the deck, in the shed, in the garage...but I also use scissors a lot - and have those all over the place too. I have found several pruners when sifting compost - usually they have been buried so long that they are no longer useable. This summer while digging compost out of the farm yard I found a pair of beautiful leather garden gloves. I knew exactly which neighbour would buy and use such expensive ones, so I took them to her. She said "Well of course they would turn up now, I just bought new ones yesterday!". Isn't that always the way!

I am really enjoying being apart of this super group of people! Thanks for counting me in!

Cheers,

Julie

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

First and foremost are my hugs to Marie. (I sure wish they could be in person). The poem/prayer is beautiful....

I should not be airing my complaints..but I woke up to very painful shoulders and a headache.
    It is/was pretty chilly indoors with the house closed up all night, ( 65F in, and 49 out!),so I went to get a sweatshirt from the drawer in my bedroom. The first one I picked up has a sizeable hole in it, compliments of a mouse ! Yaargh !
    Then, when I went into the dinningroom, before starting breakfast, there was a pile of cat barf on the parquet floor beside the table! I cleaned that up and proceeded with breakfast. Sometime afterward I discovered there was an even larger barf on an end table by the loveseat in the dinningroom! It is cleaned up, and I applied vaseline to the spots hoping it will 'heal' the spots left by the acid in the barfs ! A lovely way to start the day...LOL
    BTW, The pain meds have dulled the head ache and eased the shoulder.
    Oh, I almost forgot, in the middle of getting breakfast I had an emergency call to the bathroom ! Seems I am having an attack of my IBM since yesterday morning. Ah well...this too shall pass. :-)

I passed the sympathies on to Nolon about Calliecat.

Ei, our 'river bed' is right between where we park our car out front, and the lawn right in front of the house. Actually, after Ike, we had two of them ! I haven't been out this morning, but it looks as tho they both have stopped running.
    The odd thing is, there was a wet weather spring that appeared in the middle of the county road where we had never seen one before. It was not very wet around it at the time we saw it. It will most likely be gone when I go out tomorrow. Our driveway held well through all the tropical storm deluges. Only a navigable gulley at the head where it joins the county road.
    Chelone, your flooded yard resembles how ours was. Ours all appears to be soaked in now, except for the low spot where the young bald cypress and the Clethra are, this side of the wellhouse.
    I will get out this week and remove all the debris...again. There is no more rain in the forecast until the weekend.

The deck plants were unscathed by the winds, but the tree leaves that litter the deck came form all directions, so apparently...so did the wind.
    Okay, I am giving up trying to type...I am doing more correcting of mistakes, that I am typing! :-(

TTYAL

Marian

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Sorry Chelone, I have no problem testing the floating chocolate bar theory but not in the hot tub. Chocolate may or may not float, but it sure as hell melts...euuuuwww!

{{gwi:179492}}

Allrighty then, lots of work is getting done here this morning...NOT. Who said I'm easily distracted? hehehe

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Marian I hope things have settled down at your house this morning. DH is out repairing our road now.
    The power supply for my computer has arrived and is installed and yea! it works! I even learned to sodder and reconnected a bad wire on the start switch. Unfortunately my phoneline connection is still maddeningly (is that a word?) slow. I so want a wireless connection. No DSL available at my place.

We had lots of rain and downed limbs here too. But why didn't it take down the dead limb I wanted it too?

Nice to see posts from T, Babs and Ei.
    Ei I see you are still rescueing wildlife. It was ducks last time wasn't it? LOL, but I love to hear about your adventures. Like your new projects too. Your garden looks great. My garden relies heavily on mother nature helping me with the planting of seeds. If my connection weren't so slow I would show you a picture of the berm bed that is a mass of reseeded impatients and salvia, even coleus. I think it is a bit gaudy but DH likes it.

T, I was overwhelmed with filling up large areas until I started adding a few smallish paths that divided it up into more manageable chunks. Or sometimes just adding a focal point (big rock, birdbath, shrub etc. gets me rolling. Can you still watch the elk when you are siting on the covered porch? Do you ever have time to sit with those little guys around? LOL I helped take care of a friends three year and eight month old while she was in the hospital this week and let me tell you that little eight month old was a busy little fella.

Welcome Julie.

Eden you are in my thoughts.

I'm not going to catch everyone but am nodding my head with all your posts.

Jerri I will wave to you this weekend if you are in the vicinity of Guthrie and Ok City.

Deanne, I like seeing the long views of your garden.

Saucy, your GG project is moving along. I like the layout of the pathway.

Chelone, i enjoy seeing your progess too. It's taking shape nicely.

I'm going to keep this short. Just wanted to check in.

OK I need to get this posted. Stay dry people. Norma

I couldn' t get this posted last night so will try again. Here goes.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Sue, so glad you clarified that for us. I'm still laughing over that typo.

Chelone, Baby Ruth floats???!!!!!! I almost spit my coffee on the computer screen when I read that then saw Sue's pic.... Don'cha just love sophomoric humor???

It's windy as he - l out there today and I've had about ten pots blow over.... Grrrr.... The good news is that the huge brugs have NOT blown over thanks to Doug's ingenuity and screwing the pots into the cement blocks last spring. I'm thinking I"m going to have to replace more of my lightweight resin pots with heavier cement or ceramic so I don't have such a problem with the containers blowing down this time of the year.

Hi Norma, glad your computer is working again.

Marian, bummer about the kitty barf. At least you didn't step into it bare footed which is how I normally discover their little 'presents'.

Julie, how neat you can get compost from the neighbor.

78 degrees out and heading up to mid 80's then supposedly down to 42 in a couple nights. OK time to get off this computer and get to work.
    Later
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Fortunatley I was alone in the office when I opened up a sneak peek at the Idylls this morning and saw Sues post describing her Sunday 'activities', LOL ! What a way to start off a Monday !...

Kathy in Napa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Do I know how to clear a hot tub or what? lol

Did anyone warn Julie that survival on this forum pretty much requires the appreciation of "lavatory" and sophmoric humor? IMO, and surely Mary will agree, there has been far too little of it around here lately.

So who has the pictures of what we really did at IU5?

Sue

• chelone
    15 years ago

Deanne must be countin' the minutes until you show up at her house again, Sue. I told the helpmeet about the Baby Ruth and he cracked right up (Caddy Shack is staple viewing on the Compound).

I did a very foolish thing today. I worked outside, in the sun of course, and completely forgot to apply sunscreen first. Naturally, no hat either because it's been really windy. I feel pink.

Got a lot done though! I put in the second Azalea and I planted it "high", putting only the bottom half actually into the ground and backfilling the remainder with amended soil. I think this is going to work out OK, it allowed me to sort of contour the "spine" of soil that supports the Cornus kousa "chinensis" and the Stewartia down and around the Azaleas.

I dug and relocated the Clethra "Ruby Spice" that Martie's earlier suggestion reminded me I had, too. Thanks, Martie! It's about 4-5' tall and has a decent overall silhouette, and it's been languishing in a too shady location for a couple of years now. It came out of the ground easily and I'm pleased with how it went back into the ground, too. Along with it came a colony of Ajuga reptans and I spent some time breaking the mat up and shoving little plugs of it in around the Azaleas, too. It may prove to sunny for it, but so what? I already own it, the flowers are pretty and it's a tough groundcover.

I'm feeling a little nervous about a couple of things: the dreaded "one of" syndrome. You know, one of this, one of that, and the planting ends up looking like it just "happened". And the foliage of the deciduous shrubs in the area I'm working on now is pretty much in the same color family (bright green in this case). There are multiples of Vaccinium (3), Viburnum s. (2), and Azalea (2) and they're arranged to give a sense of continuity, I think.

I have another area I'd love to see planted this fall, but if it doesn't happen I'll survive. Most important is that the shrubs selected be the proper size and suited to the site. The object of this game is an attractive vegetative border to screen the road, provide nice interest all year long, and do it with minimal attention from the occupants of the house.

I'm all tuckered out and need to take a shower before venturing outdoors again with the Felcos (found 'em!) to clean up the Azaleas and the Clethra.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

It was a cool 39° this a.m. It is supposed to warm up though.

Cynthia, what a sweet tribute to Katie. The song you chose was so appropriate.

Marian, sorry to hear about Calliecat.

Deanne, I meant to mention that they had a number of brugs at the DBG but I decided you could teach them a thing or two. Most had but a handful of blooms.

Kathy, I really dont know if Rob Proctor is still there or not.

Fortunately Baby Ruth isnt my choice of chocolates.

Julie, your property sounds quite nice.

Chelone, the border is looking good already.

Later
    Michelle

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Howdy, Idyllers! Looks like we've been busy this weekend, I'm behind again.

Michelle, DH would LOVE it if we could go out to eat and then go digging around in dumpsters, lol! I would hate to imagine all the stuff we'd come home with-I'm sure there would be a lot more than cardboard.

Babs :) SpecTACular to hear from you! Wow, I can't believe AJ is almost a teenager. You might be money ahead if he WOULD start eating books. As I recall, around 13-14 DS turned into a bottomless pit, and it lasted right up until he moved out. Bless Ryan's heart...I was always the "can't we all just get along" kid. Still am.
    Fun statistics? Hm...
    Wow, am I ever glad my brother never thought of standing on my hair and tickling me. Now, THAT is creative! Poor Paula :)

Mary, I just had to laugh at David flushing the toilet while Annie's in the shower. I grew up with that brother, and raised carbon copies of him and myself. Once, I locked myself in our very tiny bathroom to get away from him. He went and got a can of bug spray and gassed me out. And, just my luck, no towels in the bathroom to block the crack under the door.Mom wasn't home, and he threatened me with all sorts of horrors if I told on him. Ah, the good old days.

Ei, it's so good to read a post from you! I like the Starbucks story. Chalk one up for the good guys! Your Gal Friday job sounds great, I hope whatever the issues are they can be worked out if you enjoy the work. I'm a bit of a broad, myself, and hopefully Jim thinks a great one. I've always admired Paul and Joanne's marriage, too. Great accomplishment, let alone in Hollywood.
    I'm so sorry to hear that Anita is going through chemo again. I am sure you are a wealth of strength for her. ((EI))
    I adore the Hippie Den of Tranquility, and believe everyone should have one :) Moonvine-how perfect! I never thought of succulents in wall pockets. Might have to do that next year. That fennel is awesome!

V, DH does beer can chicken, too. Well, he calls it beer butt chicken, but he's like that ;) Have you ever put rosemary springs in the beer? Really good!

Kathy, the vineyard is gorgeous. Make sure you tell DS we're bragging on him!

Chelone, I think you might be my aunt, lol! It took me a minute to figure out the ironing bills comment. When I did, a light bulb went on! As a kid, I actually noticed that Aunt Gladys' money was, like, PERFECT.
    Maybe between yours and Saucy's project, I will absorb some inspiration.
    ROTFL, I can still remember the first time I saw Bill Murray take a bite out of that Baby Ruth in Caddyshack. That was one of the all-time best characters ever!

Oh, Denise, I second your idea of a Kenzie garden tour-how cute would that be??

Deanne, Your gardens are, of course, fabu! I enjoy the Raj cameo appearances. What a character! Wow, your neighbor sounds really...interesting. Why on earth would you clip off a dahlia and pitch it over the fence? Lol, I'd pay good money to share a fence with you :)

Saucy, it's going to be a delight to watch the GG develop!
    Okay, first I thought it was a dinosaur, but that didn't make any sense. Then, I thought of a turtle. Then, I read down and found out it was a Terrapin. I didn't know what a terrapin is, so I googled it. Yeah, it's a turtle ;) I like it!

Martie, if I could get DH's junk transported, I would be there! As it is, he's pointed out that he's been smart to let it all pile up. The price of scrap metal is up, ya know. What's going to happen, is sometime we'll be gone, and scrappers will come and steal all his junk. There's been a lot of that going on in the area.
    Mmm..the smell of apples in the fall. I think while we're in Michigan for vacation we should bring some back. We haven't gone to the orchards in ages, and I kind of miss it. I used to make a lot of applesauce and apple butter. I put some amaretto in the apple butter..tasty!

Marian, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your company..amazing how fast they grow, isn't it? I'm sorry to hear Nolon had to put down Calliecat. Hard to do, even when you know it's the right thing.
    Lol, what a nice way to look at the stings :)

(((Marie))) What a lovely prayer.

LMAO, glad you cleared that up about the hot tub, Sue.

Hot off the press here...
    I just bought my first pair of Felcos last year. I refused to let myself have a pair until I quit leaving the cheap ones laying around. Yeah, I left the Felcos outside for the winter :( They were in a basket on the porch. They're fine, but I really coulda kicked myself.
    We got about 8" of rain over the weekend. We went to Indy on Saturday and saw the first ever concert at Lucas Oil Stadium. Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, Leann Rimes, and a couple of people I'm not familiar with. It started at 4:00, and went on until a little after midnight. I'm getting old..I was tuckered out and couldn't hear well for a while after ;)
    I'm trying to get laundry caught up and the house somewhat in order. We're going on a mini-vacation at the end of the week. Off to another skydive, then meander through Wisconsin and Michigan.
    DS and his GF just arrived, so I'll have to cut this "short", lol!
    Brenda

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Sue, I just had to 'poop' in for a second or two (whoops could't help myself, it just pooped out)to thank you for the laughs. I found myself bursting into hysterical laughter throughout the day today thinking of your little typo....

D

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

ROTFL toward the kitchen for supper.....
    Brenda

• saucydog
    15 years ago

LOL, I missed Sue by minutes this morning!

I'd say forget the gutters, you need someone to clean out the hot tub :)

This conversation is totally inapoopriate :)

Thanks for the laughs,
    Saucy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Har har har, everybody's a comedian these days.

Wish I could hang around but it's time to go poop a chunk of swordfish on the grill for dinner.

Sue

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I am almost pooped out, but feel like posting some pics of my weekend company:
    the first is our middle DGD,(Brianna), Tim, and Tommy. ( Tim and Bri are watching a Video on TV.)
    {{gwi:179494}}

Next is the youngest DGD,(Hannah), at my computer.

{{gwi:179496}}

And the last is the original 'victims' plus the back view of the oldest DGD,(Savannah), and a poor pic of Nolon on the right. :-(

{{gwi:179497}}

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

(((bug))), and a lovely poem..

What a nice group of posts to come home to today- it just so happens I have zero energy tonight for any useful activities, so it will be baseball and Idylls tonight. Of course there will be a WALAT or at the very least a SALAT. .and another heads up: ATTENTION JULIE ! SALAT=Standing Around Looking At Things , WALAT =Walking Around Looking At Things. Either one can be done with a glass of wine.

PM , last night when I went out to look at the moon I had very similar thoughts about all of us looking at the same moon, nicely put We are in the harvest moon now too, and I am posting yet another of DSs pics below. I imagine the creature you have in your closet is the same one I have in my dryer ! Im sure astrophysicists are very close to discovering that Black Holes are actually full of socks and Felcos.

Jeez I just read Sues post again. Its still funny almost twelve hours later.

Chelone, your 1st pic looks like a Northern Calif garden in February ! I approve of the cement-pet . He needs a name dont you think ? Autumn in New England sounds like just the ticket ! However, my autumn trip will be a drive to Oregon next month.

Marian , glad to hear you sustained only cosmetic damage in the wake of Ike. Yuk-o on the kitty regurgitation. I always suspect them of having eaten something they shouldnt have when that happens. I guess its best that they upchuck whatever it was before it makes them sicker. Very attractive looking family you have there ! And, I LOVE your clock ! Maybe sometime you could post a close-up ? I collect antique clocks (I have 9) ..

Hi Norma ! My DD didnt have DSL in her area either so we ended up with Comcast Cable hi speed internet. (I bought them a year of service ). There was no wireless available except for a service that uses cell-phone towers , and is notoriously unreliable. I was really surprised since they are in a major university town, and 30 miles from another major university .

Brenda, the nice thing about Felcos is that just about every part of them are individually replaceable. I also keep a spare blade and spring , but I always seem to loose the damn things before I have to replace the parts !

Ok time to go take a WALAT before nightfall

Best to all

Kathy in Napa {{gwi:179500}}From Moon

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Marian, the only way your morning could have been worse was if you had been in Sue's hot tub when you had your emergency!

I should have looked at the Idylls today at the office; I was in a rather low mood as I felt I bit like a broom, sweeping up everyone else's poop. More bad mood than real problems.

Perhaps we'll see a moon tonight, it's been very cloudy the last two nights.

Marian, very lovely DGD's.

I have to confess that about every other year, I take advantage of an opportunity to buy three pairs of Corona shears for $10. Not as heavy duty as Felcos, but they do a lot of deadheading and other non-woody trimming, and I do leave them here, there and everywhere. That way, I usually can find a pair quickly.

Kathy, the Cubs were awfully close to two no-hitters in a row. The odd circumstances with the Houston series seems to have worked to their advantage.

I'm determined to get a little more reading done tonight, so I'm off to clean up and pack my lunch.

V.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Chelone - the shrub border is starting to look good - 'down home' where I'm from, that sort of space was usually a lilac hedge. I have fond memories of some nice dark purple ones scenting the air in spring. Admittedly, they didn't look so impressive the rest of the year, but the spring display was fabulous!

Marian - everybody looks like they are enjoying themselves at Grandma's house... Poor Calliecat/poor Nolon. Losing a kittie after such a long companionship is very hard indeed. We've traded in cat furballs/barf for dog ones! Misty seems to get furballs too! I swear she's half cat....

Sue's hot tub sounds like a dubious place to be :-)

Speaking of bathroom things.... Phoebe seems to have picked up a toilet-drinking habit since she was here in July. I keep finding a wet seat and a trail of water across the floor in the master bathroom....

Time to put Phoebe out - she's stretched out on the floor by my feet, exuding foul odors...:- )

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Kathy, the clock is Nolon's. He bought it from an old lady when he was very young.(I believe he said he was 9 years old. And he carried it a long ways home.) It only quit working in recent years. The lamps on each side are mine, the desk was my fathers. It is definitely an antique also.
    I don't exactly collect antiques, but have quite a few.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

V, I love watching a no-hitter almost more than anything and have been lucky to follow a team that has had quite a few. I'm really bummed that I missed CZ's. Dodgers magic # is 8.

My back-up pruners are Coronas, and go back to when their Felco knock-offs had orange handles. I think they were Corona 60C's.Mine are getting pretty dull.

nite again !

Kathy in Napa

• Jerri_OKC
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all. I TIVO'd Oprah's show today on Child Sexual Abuse.

I'll spare the details. I thought a knew a lot about this subject but the 'advancments' in the last few years are beyond belief.

I've linked to the Oprah site below. I know a lot of people don't like her but this issue is so important.
    Here's a small overview of an important Bill which will be voted on very soon:

"Help Pass Senate Bill 1738The PROTECT Our Children Act
    Hundreds of thousands of children are victims of sexual abuse each year. Due to the sheer lack of resources, law enforcement is unable to follow up on the majority of leads they have.

The PROTECT Our Children Act will:

Authorize over $320 million over the next five years in desperately needed funding for law enforcement to investigate child exploitation.
    Mandate that child rescue be a top priority for law enforcement receiving federal funding.
    Allocate funds for high-tech computer software that can track down Internet predators.
    Act Now!

Your U.S. senators will be voting on the bill soon, so it is crucial you contact them immediately.

Go to www.senate.gov to find contact information for the senators in your state. Search for your senator by name or state by clicking on the arrow from either dropdown menu. Contact information is provided here. To send an e-mail, click on "Web Form" below his or her name, and e-mail your letter to make a difference! "

From working in government I can say that phone call and personal visits carry more weight than emails.

I seldom send out mass emails but ALL my friends are getting this one. This just has to be stopped.

Jerri

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning....

No photos or progress reports here yet. The Arborvitae was delivered, but the ground was too wet to start digging.

I would have also liked to learn to do Tuffa, too Saucy. I would also like to learn how to redo my bathroom and sew outdoor chair cushions. And many other Idyll talents that are not coming to mind this second. Someone help me out here. Gosh, an Idyll Reunion as a Summer Camp in cabins with morning classes sounds like just what I need. :-) Just so long as there isn't a hot tub there. :-) :-)

Really, I noticed that typo yesterday and being more genteel then the rest of you, I did not draw attention to it. Haven't all of you ever heard the expression, NTT....Not Table Talk....we need a new acronym...NIT....Not Idyll Talk. :-)

Saucy...thanks for posting the Tower Hill photos. Would you believe I haven't made it there yet? Loved the photo of the view to the Reservoir and those you took of the girls. You are taking great photos with your new camera!

Ei...Is that a Leyland Cypress behind your Red Garden? Your Fennel looks like a shrub. [g] I was looking at old IU photos and saw one that really appealed to me that you posted and not sure if this was in your garden or not, could you ID this for me?

{{gwi:179502}}

Julie....I should be bringing in plants by now, but I am too busy planting and moving in the garden. This weekend just have to make time to do it. I have my favorite fern and begonia in the house already though. They look so good, I didn't want to take the chance.

Babs...making statistics fun has to be a very rare talent. [g] Hats off to Chris.

Kathy....tell DS that I am jealous of his photo taking abilities!! What a great shot of the Moon and the Vineyard photo was great also. I would be curious what type of camera and what settings he used to take that Moon Shot. Also...I am not really a foreign film buff, but my husband took a liking to a film called 'Babette's Feast' which I was kind enough to sit through with him. He sits through lots of my choices too. [g] That was when it first came out. Years later, every time it comes on, we have watched it. Has to be a good 6 or 7 times already. He is always surprising me at what he likes. I actually did enjoy it too after about the third time I watched it. It really is a sweet story and the whole movie is about food. I think that is why he likes it, he is a fan of food. lol

Denise....what is Korean Barbecue? We have a Korean Barbecue restaurant locally that I haven't tried yet. BTW, that is one of the prettiest clematis I have seen so far.

Chelone....I am envious of all that water in your garden. I have dry shade and there are so many shrubs that prefer moisture that I wish I could grow. I would have loved a photo essay of your Saturday morning drive. We always have oldies on when in the car. Do you remember a song by Liza Minelli called, 'Come Saturday Morning'? that was a track from a movie soundtrack? I loved the line...

"We'll travel for miles in our Saturday smiles..."

Deanne....I just took the time to really look carefully at your photos. You have such a nice house. I like the color of your shutters which I think really go well with the garden. In your first photo, what is that yellow bit of confection on the left in front of the fence? I love the placement of the pine near your driveway garden. I really didn't know cats followed people around. I always thought they were too independent minded. I think Rahji loves your garden!

Martie....how are you feeling these days? You seem to be back at work intensely. I hope if you go to the NC Arboretum you bring back lots of photos. What was it about that song 'Good Lovin' that was so much fun to sing along to? lol Isn't it funny how the music we all grew up with is still so popular today. Taking any photos of the 'Big Move'?

Sue....I can commiserate on having no motivation to work in the garden. I am pushing myself to get some things done, but not feeling the usual 'can't wait to see how it comes out' motivation at all. What's with that?

'T'....So sorry to hear you now have to carry an epi-pen for bees. For someone who gardens that has to add a little stress.

Cindy....sorry to hear about your 'neighbor woes'. I would also be anxious about whatever this neighbor does, after the water pipes fiasco.

Marian...that really is an amazing clock and your grandkids look like they are having a great visit. Tim, Brianna, Hannah and Savannah...their names just roll off the tongue. They could be a song lyric. The girls have gorgeous hair. I see you have a Bear calendar and quite a collection of small wind chimes. I have started a collection too.

Ok...I tried...but that is as far as I could get...waving hello to Norma....I missed your posts. Hello to Brenda., V., Cynthia, of course Gardenbug, Eden, Jerri, Woody, and Michelle. I hope I haven't missed someone.

Enjoy your Tuesday... pm2

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Right into the very, very great news. Rich has THREE appts lined up. Suddenly the phone is starting to ring. Nothing major -- mostly projects that people Must have done rather than Want to have done, but if they bring us through the end of the year I'm entirely grateful.

One set of Felcos in the basket that have been sharpened to barely anything. I kept losing them and then finding them, so in the interest of economy over the years, found an entirely suitable replacement that are inexpensive:

Kitchen Chicken Shears.

Yes, I figured if they can cut chicken bone they'd do well with small branches. Hey, always a frugal New Englander at heart. LOL

Chelone -- so glad you resurrected your Clethra. Next August you'll be Really glad.

Your GD's are getting so grown up, Marian! Happy for you that you had the chance to spend some time with them.

Yes, PM2, intensity at work is what it's all about in my biz; one of the reasons I "waited" to go back.

To the One Group with which I can share this in all it's wonderfulness: My DB in the hospital has gone FOUR MONTHS without a meltdown!!!! I'm bringing him apple pie this weekend to share with his fellow residents and staff as a celebration.

Waving to everyone. Have made a firm commitment to myself to leave glasses on long enough to really look at hot tub contents before entering :0

Martie

• Full_Bloom
    15 years ago

Bug....no need to respond, I just want to reaffirm what all have said....you are in our hearts and minds and prayers and I wish they could be real hugs too.

Beautiful thoughts PM2 and Kathy.

Marian...I was so sorry to hear about Calliecat. Your granddaughters are beautiful and growing up *so* fast. I love that shot of the youngest with her sweet shy smile. Im glad you had the visit...even *if* they can wear you out...LOL!

I have to keep this short, as its going to be a busy day, but just wanted to pop in and say "Hi" to all. Ill try to catch up on Friday.

I must admit Sue & the rest of you really gave me a good laugh this morning...you guys are too funny! I admit that I never liked Baby Ruths....just for that reason...LOL!

Have a gpod day all....Ei

• wendy2
    15 years ago

Just wanted to poop in and say hello. PM2, we aren't as uncivilized as you think we are - we usually save the inapoopriate stuff for after dinner (or before...).

Babs, good to see you! Your son cracks me up with his color choices. When my DS made his first communion he had very definite ideas about what he wanted too. Luckily for me he was in his "office" faze at the time - Staples was his favorite store, and he pored over their catalog nightly. He wanted a fax machine for his birthday that year! I think he pictured himself as some sort of junior executive. Anyway, he was so excited to be getting a suit, he picked it out himself - perfectly appropriate, dark color, single-breasted (he insisted on that - didn't like the double-breasted look at all). I can still see him trying it on with the shirt and tie and positioning himself so that his sneakers weren't visible in the dressing room mirror. He has lost his fashion sense, and insists on jeans and T-shirts nowadays. In fact the only collard shirt he owns right now his hit Boy Scout uniform shirt.

Ei, good to hear about what's been going on with you! I miss your posts. Love your garden pics! Your new job sounds great.

Deanne, things are looking great at your place, as always. I love the front of your house - when I pull into your driveway I know I have arrived at a fabu gardening destination and I never know which way to look first!

Waving hello to everyone else, duty calls!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Hi all...

Well, no evident of cat barf this morning, but my illness has increased. I evidently have picked up a virus. No trip to town today. :-(

Thanks for all the lovely comments about my GDs.
    Pm2, Tim is very diligent in his efforts to keep them looking neat and clean ( their mother is pretty slack about it). Their hair was pretty badly in need of shampoo and brushing when he picked them up from their mother's Friday afternoon. It was about 9P.M. when they got here, so too late to shower that night.They all showered Saturday.

I did three loads of towels and bedding yesterday. Why do girls need two towels when they shower??? ;-)

Speaking of towels that are used when one showers....why are they dirty and not to be used again when they have wiped a clean body ??

V, I got a chuckle out of your comment:
    "Marian, the only way your morning could have been worse was if you had been in Sue's hot tub when you had your emergency!" LOL

I got out yesterday and gathered up a lot of kindling from our yard, thanks to Ike. Might have enough for starting all our fall fires. And speaking of starting a fire.... I did so this morning.

The yard is still covered with debris, but most of it will be chopped up when I next mow. I have a lot of Honey Locust pods to gather up. The main 'drop' had not started, but Ike brought a lot down. It has a record crop this year. Too bad they are not useful for something.

I was mistaken about the leaf damage to the deck plants. There was some ripping off of pieces, and holes in leaves. I think it was very close to being a tornado.

Unless we have an unseasonably early frost, I have two more weeks to start bringing in the potted plants. I hope I am up to it....

Oh, while I am thinking of it...Kathy, Nolon's clock is a Seth Thomas. A friend in Idaho tried to buy it. For a long time he carried around a blank check with hopes of Nolon changing his mind.

Marian

• chelone
    15 years ago

Good morning. We were off to an early start here this morning. The Magnolia is in its new site! and we really like it, it blocks the main portion of what used to be the old driveway entrance. I took too many pictures of the operation, but the battery konked out before I could get the final one (recharging as I type). We did quite a number on the root "ball", but it will probably be OK even if it does "blink" a bit for the first year in the new place.

"NIT", indeed, PM2. :) I rather like the idea of an Idyll Summer Camp; in fact, I think it's perfectly brilliant. Whaddya think, we use the Salon as the bunkhouse, take "Navy showers", and set up "arts and crafts" in the automobile bays, cooking our meals over the grill?

Kathy, the picture of the Idyll Moon really touched me. I've been thinking about that Hopi prayer and the great comfort derived from the simplest things that remain constant the world over regardless of how downtrodden we feel at any given moment. I heard that there was a Dodger no-hitter, but not paying much attention to teams other than the Red Sox... well... . But I agree, it's really quite an accomplishment, exciting the same way a 1-0 hockey game is; good defense! The helpmeet tells me Manny is deliverin' the goods for you. He added that the dreds are as yet unpruned... which cracks me up. "Manny bein' Manny"; he's very talented and let's hope LA suits him better than Boston, that's what will define a "good" trade.

Marian, you have a handsome family! the girls are looking so grown up, you must be very proud of them. The clock is handsome, the helpmeet was shocked when I sent the works of our tall case clock out to be cleaned, oiled, adjusted. But periodic maintenance is required for them to operate reliably. When the works were gone we found ourselves looking to the empty bonnet nearly daily to check the time! We have only one "plug in" clock in the house. As for two towels/girl, that's easy! one for the lovely long hair, the other for the body. We use our towels for nearly a week here. He has his, I have mine, we are clean when they're put to task, and we hang them to dry out in between uses. We know where the towels have been and neither of us has a problem with reusing them. I'm sorry you've managed to provide housing for some sort of bug... hope it decides to move "out" soon. I especially appreciate your oil lamps. I asked for one for Christmas in 1999 and received a brass Aladdin desk lamp. Whenever the electricity goes out it's nice to have good, reliable light so we may read. There are several in THTTF that were in regular use by my great-grandparents. I need to put them in the car the next time I am there. And lastly (before I foget again) I am sorry to hear about Calliecat. Dad didn't cry very often but the tears flowed freely when one of the pride was delivered to the "happy hunting ground". Nolon did the right thing, but that is cold comfort when the one delivered is gone forever. :(

Good to see Wendy "poop" in for a quick visit. Too bad she had to go when "dooty" called. (couldn't pass that one up, sorry). I laughed and laughed at the tale of the Jr. Executive, that's just too funny. Shades of Alex Keaton, huh? The notion that Staples would rank highly as a retail destination slays me; BUT, when my brother was that age he insisted on drawing electrical cords and outlets in every picture he drew involving an indoor scene.

I meant to ask about the dry stream bed you posted, Ei. Did you design it to be dry or did you put it there to handle any excess rainfall? I see them used in and around my area and I always wonder what precautions are taken to prevent opportunistic plants from setting up camp and making it "home", landscape fabric? plastic? I really like the effect in your garden, and clearly it was useful last weekend!

I also wanted to mention how nice it is to see Norma, again. I forget that DSL and cable internet is not available in many parts of the country. Northern New England, for one! and it's becoming a huge bone of contention because lack of it precludes those areas with people LOOKING for work from being able to participate. It's the same old story from the fewer and fewer companies providing the missing services... "it's not worth the investment". OK... I thought "deregulation" was going to create more competition and open up unheralded realms of opportunity... . (haven't seen my 'phone bill go down since they broke up Ma Bell). Anyway, I sympathize. ;) And I hope the new set-up sees you posting more often. Your gardens are so pretty and I love your pond.

T., you've popped into my thoughts periodically as I've been scratching away on the shrub border. I've gone from being completely discouraged by the chaos, to wondering about the finer details of it all, and all in the space of about a month. Getting started was the hardest part. It also dawned on me that you have to contend with the possibility of Elk damage if they break through your "defenses", too, huh? I drove by a house the other day that had a MEGA stroller out front. It was for triplets, one seat in front of another and I marvelled at the forethought and dexterity required to manoeuver that sucker in "traffic". WOW.

I think the battery is back "on line" so I'll see if I can't finish up the photo essay. Later!

• Jerri_OKC
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah Chelone, I could help but think dooty called also. LOL
    Wendy, you're my hero. ;)

Jerri

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

I admit it..I thought the same thing, with a Beavis and Butthead laugh. "She said dooty"
    Brenda

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Chelone, I used to collect oil/kerosene lamps. I have 5 that have oil in them for blackouts. Several more are just for ornaments. Some are tiny. Some of the full-sized ones are antiques.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Closin up shop here on #399...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Oh Wendy...I think you all might be every bit as uncivilized as I am thinking and I am still waiting to see the video of what you all really did at IU5!! ;-) Or maybe I ought to rethink that...maybe ignorance is bliss! [g]