Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taryn_gw

idyll #284--the bad plant idyll

taryn
17 years ago

Hidylls,

We're always raving and posting about our fav plants here, and showing photos of them, which is wonderful. But I thought it was time to rant about our not-so-fav plants to balance the scale.

Okay, I'll start. Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron radicans or Rhus toxicodendron). I have it. :( Terrible rash, horrendous, merciless itching, disgusting oozing. Uggh! No redeeming features! Well, maybe the fall foliage is nice. Oh, the joys of country living, lol!

Not sure if I got it around here or at my friends cottage, but at least it had the decency to wait until after my fun weekend to make it's ugly appearance known. Thanks for the good wishes you guys, it WAS a very fun weekend. At first Sunday night I thought it was flea bites, though couldn't figure out why if the cats (treated with Advantage) weren't scratching, why would I be? Soon became apparent this was something else, and though I'm glad I don't have a huge flea infestation to deal with, I wish I'd figured that out before I laundered all the bedding and vacuumed every horizontal and vertical surface in the house. Oh well, Martha would be proud...

Okay, 25 minutes of loading #283 and I'm still only down to Tuesday. I did load it the other day and skimmed a bit and saw Brenda had popped in! Brenda, how fantastic you're back! You were very much missed here. I'm so sorry to hear about the accident, though he's very lucky no one was seriously physically hurt. You must have been devastated. Hope he's learned a valuable life lesson, albeit the hard way. Congrats on the 50 pounds! That is fantastic news! Please stick around...

30 minutes now and we are still stuck on Tuesday and apparently frozen. Hate dial-up! Sorry I missed Norma and Wendy's birthday, and will see what I can do to remedy that when I come out my Benedryl-induced haze and can get a better connection. Come to think of it, I think I missed Deanne's and V's birthdays too. Sorry! Thinking of you all, and wish I could get here more often and more reliably. Hope this will post...

Bydylls,

Taryn

(the leper)

PS Just let Gumbo in and he's gotten into the burs. Burdock, Arctium lappa, another BAD PLANT, lol!

Comments (104)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mornin'!

DH is fed and off to work, I've caught up on reading here. Good to hear about the NE gathering! Glad Saucy that you made it!(Sent you a GW email) Love seeing Babs' photos and quick messages. Oh how I remember the decades of making breakfasts, packed lunches and dinners too....:(.

Seeing Jerri back is exciting too. Photos and a little text would be so nice! Brenda, great to have you participating.

V, terrific week you had! Looking forward to having you back this week.

Yes Martie, a lovely morning here as well. The day looks complex...including a visit with my doctor, who in 8 years has never looked me in the eye.... :( No amount of training will change that, smart though he may be.

Off to shower.
    Later,
    'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Happy Monday! The sun is out, the sky is blue and we had a nice soaking rain yesterday. What more can a garden fanatic ask for in early October? How about no frost.

This will be a drive by since it's closing week. Despite the less than stellar weather yesterday we all managed to have a wonderful time at Deanne's. When you tour her garden you can see why planning for late season color is worth the extra work throughout the season. Although it's sad to think it will all be gone soon, the upside is we can start planning and looking forward to next spring. In the meantime, lets start thinking about dates for all those winter parties and get togethers we've come to expect in this group!

On the news front, the local rep from the Garden Conservancy is coming by tomorrow night to look at my garden and drop off some paperwork. Unless she recoils in horrow it looks like we'll be open a day in September next year. Only 11 months to get ready, I'd better get moving...lol.

Sue

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! EILEEN !

{{gwi:179640}}

I am recovering from being dreadfully sick...but just had to send you a BD pic. I took it a couple of days ago, while I was still able to get around.( Wish I was smart enough to edit it, and remove the ugliness.)

Marian

• deanneart
    17 years ago

First a very happy birthday to Eileen! Hope you have a wonderful and special day.
    {{gwi:179641}}

Yes indeed! A wonderful Monday morning (even though Im going to have to work in the basement today). Im currently enjoying coffee and looking at the sunshine streaming over my fall gardens in the back yard. I went to sleep with a smile on my face because I was thinking about walking around in the rain with my garden friends and that was one of those life moments. Even the miserable weather couldnt spoil our interest and joy in growing beautiful things. After thinking about the day I then collected from my memories all the other lovely times Ive toured fantastic gardens with this group of people and it put a smile on my face that I couldnt wipe off. What a wonderful thing this forum has been for me. It has developed my knowledge of gardening and plants and Ive made fast friends with some terrific and interesting people.

Sue, Doug was really glad that Tom came with you yesterday. He still would have gone to lunch with the four of us but he probably wouldnt have enjoyed it very much! LOL I absolutely agree with you about planning on our winter parties and Idylling get togethers. Last year we had your terrific Christmas party, then Martie planned the Logees trip in January, I think she is still planning on doing that again in the coming year (I will not miss it this year) and I was talking to Doug about setting dates for our February Thumb Our Noses at Winter Barbeque. Advance planning is always a good thing. ~~ Cant wait to hear about the Garden Conservancy rep visit tomorrow. Doug asked if youll need help with that. What a guy!

Marie, you should try to find a way to get down here in February. It certainly would be a great break for you mid-winter.

Martie, I love your story about getting out and fixing the tomato structure and having a good laugh at 6:15AM. Another one of those fun life moments that are good to tuck into your memory banks for a rainy day.

Babs, Ive found that I generally have little to no luck with wintering over existing coleus plants and that the best way to save them is from cuttings. The old growth gets so huge and woody and seems to lose vigor as it gets older. Im so HAPPY to hear that the plants did so well for you. Thanks for the quick check in with us. It is good to hear from you even if you only can say "Hello, Im really busy right now."

V. wow, 900 miles! It makes me tired to think about. ~~ Sorry about your lost witty and insightful post. I hate it when that happens.

Saucy, Im so glad you were able to make it yesterday. I did not notice that you had puffy eyes and contrary to what you think you were VERY good company. It was really great to see you again and I have to say it again how fantastic you look! So tall and slim. Keep up the good work.

Marian, sorry to hear you havent been feeling well. Doug and I have been fighting off colds here as well, What a drag. Hope you are better very soon.

Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

I have to keep this short, but just wanted to drop a quick line.

Didnt want to just "disappear" and have everyone wondering or worrying. Life is pretty complicated right now, so just wanted you to know I probably wont be here for awhile.

Enjoyed all the posts, it was great to hear about everything going on with all the girls! :-) And Im sooo glad to see some faces that havent been around for awhile.

Woody your Wisteria is stunning! I remember Deannes gorgeous white wisteria too. Is there anything more delightful than a wisteria in bloom? :-)

Okay, well maybe a Brugmansia in full bloom, which BTW, your Brugmansia is just stunning Deanne! I *love* the flowers and the scent is just *heavenly*! Mine has officially become the "darling" of my garden this season. :-)

Anyway, I have a wisteria that has been growing through an old Silver Maple on my property for over 10 years now. I didnt plant the wisteria, my sweet old neighbor Mrs. Shack had one and I think some bird must have dropped seed here. I was actually hoping it would choke out the Silver Maple...but no luck...Ha! The two are growing together very happily - although the wisteria has never bloomed.

It was great reading your long post Taryn. So sorry to hear about the PI though. Luckily Ive never contacted it, though my dad had it a few times while living in Tennessee and it was dickens for him to beat the rash. You sure *are* out in the country now; arent you? :-) Hmmm...weeds we hate. Actually, I dont hate these plants (I secretly love them but would never grow either of them)....bittersweet and the porcelain berry vine. They are such gorgeous plants...gorgeous and totally aggressive nuisance plants. Every year I have to steel my heart when I see the porcelain berry being offered in the nurseries. The angel on my left shoulder says, "Dont buy it...it will only cause trouble and escape to harm others". The little devil on my other shoulder says "Oh will you look at that beauty?" "Is there anything so lovely....nowhere in the world could there be a more stunning mix of colors - turquoise, robins egg blue, sage and amethyst all together....you know you want it!" The angel: "Dont do it Ei...be a steward of the garden and the enviroment" The devil..."Ah, what could it hurt, you could plant it in a container that you bury in the ground, you will make sure you deadhead it after the berries mature." It gets quite distracting having all these voices in my head...LOL! Well, I am happy to say, that my little angel has always won out! :-) As for a weed I hate...."BINDWEED!!!!!" Sorry, I had to say it like that, its a little inside joke between my BF Anita and I. She absolutely detested it. I never understood why she hated it so...until I had it in my garden. My one neighbor has it all over their property and I am constantly trying to keep it from entering mine. It is a pain in the butt to root out. At least 3 times a year I have to work for several hours removing it from my garden. I think Ive got it all, been careful to dig up all the root and bam...a month later Ive got bindweed again.

Sue, I am *so* tickled for you and Mr. Silk must have truly enjoyed himself to spend so much time at your house. Its quite a *deserved* honor....you are a fantastic gardener and landscaper. Someday I will have to pick your mind about that little patch of grass in my dry river bed out front. Remember? You said you would have some suggestions for what to plant there to remove the rest of the grass! :-)

Beautiful pictures all! Idyll pics are the best!

Bug...a little hug for you. I imagine it *is* very hard and one of the reasons I really am not ready to move out of the state yet. DS will be getting married in late August of next year.

Saucy, sorry to hear what you are going through. I know how tough it can be sometimes and sure hope the two of you can work it out. I wish I could think of something insightful to say, but just know Im rooting for the both of you. There was a lot of good advice here and I had my listening ears. I thought your post was very insightful and thought filled and empathetic. Good advice! Anyway Saucy, hope you enjoy the Eric Clapton concert...how exciting! :-) Oh and congratulations on the weight loss...thats something to be very proud of....takes a lot of determination and stick-to-it-tivness (Ei speak).

V I would *love* to join you on the country drive! :-) Im sure it will be lovely and Ive always wanted to do that, but with the way things are here right now, I cant even think about tomorrow. But thanks so much for asking...I was really touched.

Well, I have to go now, DS is coming soon and I am supposed to drive him downtown. I am anxious (you guys probably know about my expressway anxiety by now...LOL).

So, Ill close with a smile I got last night. I was at the grocery store in the evening getting soup ingredients. Im making chicken noodle and minestrone, to send home with my son today. Anyway, I kept on bumping into this cute little girl pushing a cart. She was following behind her dad, who was on his cell phone and totally distracted. She seemed a little "alone" and "lost". Anway, we all end up in the produce dept together (dads still talking on the phone and DD still following behind him pushing the cart...obviously very bored). I left my cart for a minute to get something in another isle of the produce section, as I walk back, dad is still talking on the phone, but has now grabbed my cart and he is dragging it behind him. The little girl looks at me and I point out her daddy and I wink at her. Dads just rolling along talking on the phone, still pulling my cart and Im letting him. The little one gives me this shy smile and we both are watching dad. She cant hold it in anymore and suddenly she breaks out in this big smile that lights up her little face and starts laughing out loud..."Daddy....you have that ladys cart!" Now she is just cracking up and even the dad forgets about his phone for a minute and starts smiling at his little girl. I got such a kick out of seeing the two of them looking into each others eyes and smiling and laughing....being connected. I say to the dad "I was hoping you would take my cart all the way up to the counter and pay for everything for me!" The little girl starts giggling again. We all enjoyed a little "ha-ha" together. Anyway, it made me smile for a long time after and every time we would cross paths in the store a big smile would come on the little girls face and she would start giggling again. I got such a kick out of her, cute little thing, and so happy to see her smiling and giggling! Gosh I cant wait to have a granddaughter, which BTW, I *so* enjoyed all your pics of Kenzie, Michelle. She is a little doll and those pictures are keepers...definitely framing quality.

Okay, time to get the soup in the crock pots and take DS downtown.

Ill leave you all with these thoughts...Have a great *every*day all! Ei

The little things? The little moments? They aren't little.
    - John Zabat-Zinn
    We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy,
    even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry.
    - E.B. White

It is the sweet, simple things of life
    which are the real ones after all.
    - Laura Ingalls Wilder

P.S. I just saw your post Marian..."Hi!" What a lovely pic....Thanks so much and you remembered which butterfly is my absolute *favorite* butterfly of them all! :-) Actually...I'm trying to forget this birthday though...LOL! Yes, it's one of those ones that end in zero...I don't like those ones at all! :-) Ei

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning....

I've been working hard to get the backyard curvy beds all done. DH helped me out by using the old bulldozer with bucket to haul my chips & soil closer to the area where I am working. I ran out of chips before completing the beds in the shape and size I wanted, which is very disappointing. I still have the soil (organic mulch/soil/compost mix) to spread over the chips and I do not believe I will have enough of that either. I am planning on placing an order to have more of the soil delivered this week so I'll just forego chips in those areas and use only soil. I am pleased to have this much accomplished this year although I still do not see how the wood chips will decompose enough this winter to allow me to do some spring plantings. Perhaps I'll be pushing the chips aside and amending the soil in those planting areas? I'm just so unsure about all of this since the lasagna beds weren't made with real 'layers' ... just one thick layer of the shredded wood chips. I hope I've not made just a huge mess to deal with.

I've been following along but have nothing to add about Poison Ivy.....never been affected by it here and I'm not sure how much of it is around. I remembered the song that Wendy (? hope I'm right) shared and there was a movie also (with Drew Barrymore perhaps?) about Poison Ivy being more than a plant. There are some 'Poison Ivy' type of people that I've come in contact with over the years.......and they can cause some instant and long acting discomfort, just as the plant can. Interesting when it happens as you don't realize you've been around PI people until you feel the sting and pain later.

Last week we had temps in the 80's all week. It was lovely and a great opportunity to get all of the last minute things done outside before the autumn/winter rains begin. DH did more bulldozing/sculpting of the area above the back retaining wall. We spread gravel for about 18" along the back of the wall and then also spread a couple loads up by the shop building. We could easily make use of a couple more dump truck loads of the fine gravel, but DH seems to not think it is a priority at this time. Me? I'd love to see it 'done' and done completely. But, since he is the one to spread it with the bulldozer and I cannot do it---it can only be ordered when he says to do so.....otherwise I'd be looking at a couple big piles of expensive gravel all winter and I've been there/done that a few times. Finally learnt my lesson (maybe).

Sue, it sounds like Steve Silk was very impressed with your gardens.....it is wonderful that you are getting the recognition that you deserve for the work, thought and care you take in making your property as beautiful as it is. Congratulations! :o)

The gathering this weekend sounds like it was fun. I do begin feeling a bit glum about not living within a couple hours of Sue, Monique, Deanne, Wendy, Mary, Marie, Woody, Saucy........well, the list could go on and on--couldn't it? LOL I am envious but also very happy for those who live close enough to get to visit throughout the year. Cannot understand when someone turns down invitations nor opportunities to get together with all of you. I'd jump at the chance to sit and visit---so many wonderful personalities within this group.

This is the week that I begin my babysitting duties for the twins. They are 8 weeks old this week....amazing how big they are getting (almost 12# each). They are still dealing with reflux and colic although I never see the colic---only hear it on the phone if I happen to talk with their mother in the evenings. Obviously the reflux hasn't bothered their ability to gain weight ;o). Right now I will only be taking care of them 1 or 2 days a week. That amount of time is going to be hard enough, thank you very much. Not use to having responsiblity and complete care of a baby and certainly not use to taking care of two. :oP Watch the grandmother collapse at the end of the day. ;o)

Saucy...I'm sorry you are going through a rough spot in your marriage. It is horribly hard at times in almost all marriages (was going to say 'all marriages' but I'm not positive about that). I hope you both can weather this and are able to grow together through it.....marriage takes a lot of work and sometimes you don't see or remember that the work it takes is worthwhile. My only suggestion is to remember what you love about each other and try to focus the most on that.....then hopefully you can work, together, on fixing the rest of it. My best wishes and thoughts to you---been there and probably will be there again.

Marian, I don't think I mentioned your plant room . WOWWWW! Awesome!

Woody, that bow window is gorgeous! I'm thrilled to see you posting again!!! :o)

Marie & Woody, I don't believe I said how much I enjoyed seeing the photos, of your homes/gardens, from the visit by some of the Idylls a few weeks ago. Beautiful!! Marie, I hope you can find a way to get to visit with your DD and her family during this winter. Woody, the lab sounds like she'd be a nice addition to your family if she can be trained to walk nicely on a leash. One of our daughters has a black lab and he is full of energy, even at 6 years of age....but a very loving dog when he is wore out. ;o)

I've had a tough time during the past few weeks. EP's passing blindsided me...and it kind of took me to my knees for a bit. I had gotten use to her not posting here any longer, but I was still use to having her name pop up in my personal emails. We had talked on the phone on occasion, too. I love to connect with my 'cyber friends' on the phone, at times, as it adds so much more depth and a more personal feeling to the posts & emails. I thought of EP the other day when something came up......thought "she'll be so disgusted with this behavior when she writes"...and, just for a split second, before my thought even finished and I remembered there would be no more emails from her to remark about things such as that. We are all here for such a short period of time.....and right now I have very little patience for many of the petty things that crop up. Usually I'm full of empathy.....right now I'm finding I'm just fed up and PO'd. Yep, I'd get an earful from EP on my attitude, too. ;o) LOL It would be a thoughtful earful.......but I'd be set straight.

Well, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by life right now, so I've been spending more time thinking instead of talking---aren't you glad?! LOL This was a pretty long and blah read! ;o)

Hello to all!
    T.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Deanne! Just saw your post as I was looking to make sure mine went through. Thank you sooo much, "Queen of the Fuschias"...it's just beautiful! :-) Actually thinking of you right now, reminded me of that Mary Englebreit quote "The Queen of Everything". I mean that in the most sincere and flattering way, Deanne. Your talents know no bounds and I admire you very much! Thanks for the beautiful birthday card!

Okay, gotta go now...Ei

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Ei! Hope you have a wonderful day!

{{gwi:179642}}

Eden

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Well, after the weatherman promised a beautiful sunny day today I woke up to...rain. Drats, I had planned to spend the day in the garden. Now they're saying thunderstorms all day. Looks like I'll have time for more "fall cleaning" inside. Better get started. Have a good Monday everyone.

Eden

• just_t
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Ei!!! I hope the day holds much happiness!! :o)

T.

• flowerluvr
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday to Deanne and V!!!! (Yeah, I'm a little slow, but it spreads the celebration out a little, lol!)

((((Saucy)))) Sorry to hear you're having a rough patch-marriage is a lot of work. Hm, OUR thirteenth year was a little rocky, too. If it's any consolation, we're thick as thieves in the fifteenth year. Be kind to yourself, okay???

Ooooh, Eden!! Apple pie sounds SO yummy! We picked up a huge bag of baking apples when we were in Michgan. I've been thinking about making some apple crisp, but don't know how my willpower will hold up against it. Wonder if I can bake it and freeze it in individual portions. There's just no earthly reason for us to have a 9x13 pan of apple crisp all at once.

Gee, Deanne, thanks for braggin' on me! I've thought of you more times than I can count along this journey. Your weight loss truly inspired me. It seemed like I had too much to lose to even bother trying, so rather than focusing on losing, I've just focused on changing my eating habits. The weight isn't coming off fast, but it's coming off, and it's not something I even have to think about anymore. I just make better choices, and concentrate more on feeling better than looking better. We eat tons and tons of salad, too-along with a lot more cooked veggies. I still eat all the things I love. I have one meal a day that I eat carbs at. The carbs make up 1/3 of the food on my plate, plus I eat a huge salad first. Most of the time, I eat healthy carbs, but once every week or two I have a really good (usually home-made) dessert. That little bit of real estate on the plate becomes pretty valuable, lol! At breakfast and lunch, I can eat stuff (mainly raw veggies is what I choose) that has less than 4 grams of carbs per serving, along with a protein. Not a lot of counting or thinking, so it works well for me. My blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar are all under control for the first time in years and years. Wish I'd have found this book about 10 years ago! And, I'm getting to the age where I can feel the pressure of the big M, and SURE didn't need an extra challenge in getting the weight off!

Wendy, I had to laugh at that song. That's on of my most famous misheard lyrics of all time. I thought until just a few years ago that it said, "For the night", not "Poison Ivy"..pretty goofy, eh? I thought for a long time that Purple Haze said, "'scuse me while I kiss this guy", too :)

Martie, I love the idea of leaving a penny on the ground for a kid to find! Is the boulder a pretty one??? Buried treasure, too bad it's where the veggie beds go.

Woody, the wisteria is beautiful! It's one of the plants I mean to get, but have to really give some thought to where it goes.

Saucy, it's good to hear that DH made an effort. With my DH, it was kind of feast or famine on consideration, too. It can be really hard to explain that you just want to be valued. Don't want my behind kissed all the time, but don't want to be taken for granted, either. Sending all kinds of good vibes your way! PS-no drama for me either....the duller things are the better, lol! Most stuff "ain't nothing but a thang" as my DB would say-no need to get all wound up. Have a wonderful time at the Eric Clapton concert...I'm just pea green with envy :)
    You have exactly the right idea about the kids. It's GOOD for them to see that relationships are work, and disagreements can be worked out. As George Carlin said, "Bounce that kid around a little bit...give em a sense of reality!!" Being happy isn't about not having problems, it's about how you deal with them.

DOH-V, I didn't know that Indy was the Circle City. Bad hoosier! Wish I had run into you while I was at the powerball headquarters cashing in my ticket, but I didn't win (again) so I saw no reason to go, lol! You were only a couple of hours away from me, tho-maybe not even that far, if you were North of Indy. The porch is always open!!!

Martie-HUGE applause to you for helping the kids out with the garden. What a great idea! Never fails...when I open a box from Pinetree, I wonder where in the world I intended to put all those seeds. They just have such a great selection. For the record, it's dangerous to sit in a bubble bath with the Pinetree catalog and a highlighter, lol!

Happy birthday Eileen!! If I ever get my film developed from the Mich. trip, I'll post some pics. I spaced out the digital and had to buy disposables.

Marian...I don't see any ugliness in your pic!! Sure hope you get fully recovered soon..take good care of yourself!

Ei, the grocery cart store is so cute! Just think, if you hadn't been there, Dad might have just kept talking on the phone, and they wouldn't have had that little moment. It's the little things that mean so much. WOW, I had that typed before I scrolled down and saw the quotes! Now, every birthday that ends in zero is a fresh start on a whole new decade. Lol, remind me of that when I turn 50, okay?

T-have fun with the babysitting! 1-2 days a week is plenty for a "break in period" I'm sure, lol!

Eden, that picture is gorgeous! You don't, by any chance, get your weather from Gordy Young, do you?? Cuz he lied to me and owes me a nice day, too. I cooked all day yesterday because it was supposed to be crappy out. After I was stuck with the cooking project, the sun came out and it was gorgeous. Today is supposed to be nice, and it's windy and rainy and chilly. So, I'm doing more cooking. What a rip-off, lol!

Thus far, I have veggie soup, chili and goulash in the freezer. Today is chicken stew. I've got the chicken cooking and can exercise while I'm waiting on that. Had plans to make a stuffed pork loin yesterday, but had pop-in visits that put me behind schedule, so that's for tonight. Got the recipe from Emeril. It's stuffed with Italian sausage, walnuts and apples...too yummy!
    Take care all!
    Brenda

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thanks Brenda, I 'am' feeling better...:-)
    My goodness, all that good food you are preparing and freezing is making me sooo envious! I know, from my vegetable growing days , what a wonderful feeling it is to have all kinds of home prepared foods in the freezer.

Ei, I (too) love the grocery store event. You handled it in such a kind thoughtful way.

Saucy, after 49 and 1/2 years of marriage, I wish I had some great words of wisdom for you. My first marriage was to an abusive alcholic/womanizer. I divorced him, about two years after he returned from the military. Or rather , let him divorce me .I was too glad to be rid of him to fight his lies. Nolon and I have had no "bed of roses", but we have tolerated each other all these years. I am learning to appreciate him more as the years pass, and my health deteriorates more and more. Although he also has problems, both mental and physical, he is extremely patient wth me, probabably more patient that I am with him, although I learned, long ago,to button my lip! Very%

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

From the little devil on your shoulder...

{{gwi:179643}}

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

LOL Marie. I have to confess the devil won out with me on this one also. I love my variegated porcelain vine. Yours is a beauty!

Eden

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thanks Brenda, I 'am' feeling better...:-)
    My goodness, all that good food you are preparing and freezing is making me sooo envious! I know, from my vegetable growing days , what a wonderful feeling it is to have all kinds of home prepared foods in the freezer.

Ei, I (too) love the grocery store event. You handled it in such a kind thoughtful way.

Saucy, after 49 and 1/2 years of marriage, I wish I had some great words of wisdom for you. My first marriage was to an abusive alcholic/womanizer. I divorced him, about two years after he returned from the military. Or rather , let him divorce me .I was too glad to be rid of him to fight his lies. Nolon and I have had no "bed of roses", but we have tolerated each other all these years. I am learning to appreciate him more as the years pass, and my health deteriorates more and more. Although he also has problems, both mental and physical, he is extremely patient wth me, probabably more patient that I am with him, although I learned, long ago,to button my lip! Very, very few times have we said anything to each other that we have had to regret. I like to think.." How would I feel if he said that to me? " I have never been used to be waited on, and even do not take it well. He has learned that, and is more apt to 'leave me alone' when I am having a very bad day. We both pretty much 'do our own thing' and have done so all our married life. But 'our own thing' takes the other partner into consideration. As Teresa said, there are very few marriages that have no problems. When I hear of one, I am inclined to think they just have 'forgotten' the rough spots.
    Sorry that I have gone on so long...don't you wish I had stayed sick? :-)

Marian
    PS. I accidently hit the wrong 'button' and sent that before it was done! Here is the finished version.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I always seem to pick weekends of "silence" to miss important birthdays!!!
    a quickie to each:

Happy Birthday, Deanne:

{{gwi:179644}}

Happy Birthday Wendy:

{{gwi:179645}}

Happy Birthday Ei:

{{gwi:179646}}

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

A couple more I may have missed:

Happy Birthday Norma:

{{gwi:179647}}

Happy Birthday, V.....

{{gwi:179648}}

Hopefully I will get chance to re-read everything going on here... busy, busy place!!

• chelone
    17 years ago

Count me as another who desperately misses her Idyll time, too! It's easy to feel isolated and alone when the responsibilities of your circumstances occupy much of your time. When faced with myriad chores it's often tough to be perpetually reminded of "what you used to do" with such ease and delight.

Fond and belated birthday greetin's to esteemed members of this august group. I have always thought the lovely photographs were a wonderful way to convey our best wishes.

Of all the things I've undertaken thusfar in my life I truly believe being married is the hardest of all. I mean that. I didn't have a particularly sterling example to follow, either. While the 'rents never divorced, in hindsight I see that it might have been a good choice for them. I remember the screaming fights and the awful tension that wrapped itself around our home too often. The story was the same at the helpmeet's home... but his parents DID divorce and after that there was peace and harmony. We've learned what works by trial and error, lol.

He and I are intensely private people. We guard "our space" with determination. We understand that about each other. We struggled with seemingly simple things like telling each other where we were going and when we'd be home! Not because we were hiding anything, but because it literally wasn't something that we thought was "important"... until we'd each experienced the worry about where someone was and were they OK? DUH.

We tend to bury hurt and resentment and simply "carry on", as though admitting you feel either or both of those things is a sign of vulnerability... duh. They are! and they ought to be treated as the important cornerstones of any loving relationship. They matter!

We have "board meetings". No kidding. And I know, I know! it sounds really businesslike, but it's the way we've found to deal with things that can sometimes be "a little too close to home". We set a time and place, usually a day or two in the future. We drop the sticking point until the meeting. We have "rules". We each have a chance to voice our grievances uninterrupted (and we have used notes, as unromantic as it sounds!). And then we go through it all point by point. In 20 years together this is what has worked best for two private, meticulous personalities. Don't get me wrong, we've has some nasty, high-volume "knockdown drag outs"... but the practical side our natures has prevailed and we've always found common ground and something worth salvaging. But it's hard, hard work for two people from dysfunctional backgrounds.

Our common intellectual connection, senses of humor, and morals have carried us when our communication was called into question. But even when we didn't want to LOOK at each other we knew and believed we OWED IT TO EACH OTHER to sit down and talk. Conquering the desire to self-isolate has been hard for each of us.

Now is the time we all miss the Cherokee maiden most of all, huh?

Une larme=a tear

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

In just under the wire...
    {{gwi:179649}}

• taryn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wise words Chelone, and so nice to 'see' you. But I've no time to talk today. So.....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EILEEN!

{{gwi:179650}}

(from Jain too) Enjoy, lol!

• chelone
    17 years ago

Saucy,

Have a blast at the EC concert. My favorite tune is "Let It Rain", though the acoustic "Layla" is pretty nice. And I love, "Cocaine" and "Peaches and Diesel"... but have to tell you that I really DO prefer JJ Cale's original. Any way you slice it, it's a great tune!

Rock right out, Dudette. :)

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

{{gwi:179651}}
    Happy Birthday Ei

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

Whew, the week got off to a busy start put I wanted to pop in to say Hi to everyone and to send Saucy a cyber hug ((((Saucy)))). I don't have much to add to the wise words already offered. Just remember we are all here for as much or as little as you'd like to share. I'm so glad you got to hang out with the Idylls on Sunday. Enjoy the Eric Clapton concert - "Layla" is one of my favorites too, and "Knocking on Heavens door". Lots of great stuff!

Mary

• wendy2
    17 years ago

{{gwi:179652}}

Happy Birthday Ei!

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

{{gwi:179654}}

Ei!I hope this isn't too freaky for a bday card...I just happen to like it and what a perfect month to sneak a spidey in: ) I hope you've had a terrific day...what's it like to be 21? lol Oh wait you were 21 last year so now it's 22? : )

Taryn-is that the march of the fun-guys? lolol get it? : )

~Babs

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I probably could have freaked you all out if I had taken, and posted, a picture of my latest houseguest. It was a small garter snake! I saw it on the table with my african violets this morning. It slipped out of sight, and I didn't care that it was in my bedroom! When Nolon came in I informed him of it's presence in case he saw it and didn't know I knew.I am not at all afraid of them, nor is he. Later on today it appeared in the breakfast nook, behind a potted snake plant. Appropriate..eh? I had Nolon wait on one side while I moved the pot from the other side. It was scared of us, and rolled up under the pot. I picked it up, and put it out where it can be happier. :-)

I am so enjoying the Sedona coleus. I was surprised to notice the new coloring it has taken on, so took a couple of pics. The first is with the flash, and the second without.

{{gwi:179656}}

{{gwi:179657}}

It's amazing how a change of the camera's settings can make such a differance!

The next pic is of the common plectranthus' blooms.

{{gwi:179659}}

It doesn't show in the pic, but they are very pale lavender.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Aw, hail... guess what's happening right now? A lovely hailstorm, wind, rain, thunder, lightening and a nice little zzzzzzzz-POP! which would be the sound that the GFI outlet on the deck makes just before it shorts out. Who knew that the wind would drive all that rain into the outlet? Anyone know a good electrician?

Ei, I hope you're having a good birthday!

I'm going to stop tempting fate and shut down this computer!

V.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I wish we could all be together for a group hug. I'm thinking especially of our Idylls who are having a tough time with the loss of our friend, Ei and Saucy who are both having tough days. I think I have mentioned it before, but I look at life as a journey with valleys and mountain tops. We all must be in the valley at certain times in our life and for many different reasons, but if we perservere, we will again enjoy the view from the mountain top. Hang in there gals.

It has been an incredibly busy day at work and I am zonked. Waving and sending hugs to all and a birthday wish to Ei for a fabulous year.

{{gwi:179661}}

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hi ! I'm the new kid -Deanne invited me over from another thread-wow, do I have to undergo some sort of initiation rite ??? Perhaps a 90 day probation ?
    So here is my resume: I post mostly over on the rose forums, but decided a while back to check out the others. I stumbled on this one several months ago, and was immediately sucked in by the awesome photography (I may need to take a class before I'm brave enough to post any of my photos!), and then of course further sucked in by the gardening wisdom/passion I have seen here. So.. I am a west coaster-haven't seen any other pacific time zone peeps here.So maybe you need a little zone 9 perspective huh? And I always love to learn about gardening in other climates.
    So, I have a very small garden (land is ungodly expensive in my area) and continue to remove lawn and anything else I can think of to get more planting space. I love major league baseball.I love roses. I work 50 to 60 hour weeks. I don't watch TV (except for baseball).I read alot.I love music (all kinds-if it's good)I have three cats, a blind and diabetic dog, and am blessed to live in a beautiful valley , with a wonderful climate.But Deannes Brugs look about 50 times better than mine.
    So , the Idyll posts go to about 100 and then someone starts a new one , right? And since this is the bad plant idyll, I would like to trash sweet woodruff, and bermuda grass.They should both be torched.

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• just_t
    17 years ago

I hope Ei had a lovely day......her birthday cards are all beautiful (even Bab's little spider was cute, ;o) ).

I worked all day on moving the soil for the new beds. I ordered another 12 yards this morning and they delivered it a couple hours later. I've moved a bazillion wheelbarrow loads of it.......yes, a bazillion---I didn't count but it feels like a bazillion. There is still 2 bazillion loads to move. I thought the new front beds were so lovely when I did them......well, the chips are starting to break down and the soil/mulch is slowly sifting and settling down into the chips so it doesn't look very nice any more. I plan to pile another 6" of this new mulch/soil on top of what I already have and if there is enough extra I may 'plump' out the beds in a few spots. The chore and job is daunting....I'm just not looking at the big picture, just keeping my head down and the shovel moving in hopes that I can get it done without becoming too overwhelmed. :oP

Brenda, I'm so sorry that I missed telling you how impressed and thrilled for you over your weight loss. You have done an awesome job, congratulations!! It is very nice to have you back to writing to us.

Hello Chelone!

Deanne, your brug is so impressive....all of your gardens and containers are impressive.

Babs and Mary, you both are so busy right now. I hope you are able to find a comfortable balance in your days so that you have some free time for yourselves.

Taryn, you new curvy bed is pretty darn nice! You work much faster than I do...and you'll have it full of plants far quicker than I will. Next summer it will look like it has been there for years.

I know there is so much more that I should be remembering to mention.....but I cannot right now. I'll hit submit and then have a flash of memory.......hate it when that happens.

V, hail.......loved it.....hope there is no lasting damage to that outside outlet.

k, time for a shower and to melt into the chair..

T.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good orange morning! Yes, orange.

"Red sky at night, sailors' delight.
    Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning."

Anyway, it is all glowy outside. The just-changing trees are literally lighting the space around them. Wish Rich would teach me to use the camera *(&qlbnguv !!!!!!!

Happy Birthday, Ei. Instead of a picture, I'm singing you the Beatles "Birthday" song. Trust me, you don't want a tape of That action!! LOL "Today is your birthday, so happy birthday to you!!" "Birthday, would you like me to dance. Birthday, take a cha cha cha chance!!!!"

T., you're gonna get me honest, here. I have actually turned down opportunities to get together with my cyber friends and now seems a good time to make a confession on Rich's behalf (and with his permission): When in Vietnam Rich almost got blown up and part of his injuries were to his teeth and face. He got his teeth fixed, but that was 30 years ago and for the past five years, he's had a horrible time eating. Any gathering that involves food (and what Idyll gathering doesn't?????) is a entree' to perceived embarrassment on his part. He is also JUST beginning to feel comfortable being in groups of people he doesn't know. It's a long, long process to "get better" from almost being blown up. Logee's was the one exception and yes,

"EVERYONE'S INVITED TO LOGEE'S 2007" will be planned, soon.

So why don't I go alone? Because I, too, sometimes don't do well in groups. I get this power and control thing going and it feeds on itself and I've found myself becoming a jerk without meaning to. Stupid fears when the basis of these friendships is plants. And, Rich will agree to go and then back out at the last minute. All my reasons for not going places are quite real, but not the whole truth. So here it is out in public. Enough confession before my second cuppa :-)

Rich, BTW, agreed to these words because: He is getting his teeth fixed!!!!! Four root canals, two separate surgeries, a bridge for the top and caps for the bottom. It'll take a few more months to complete, but WAAAAAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Welcome Kathy from the opposite coast!! I think you're right -- no Z9ers, but a great group to get to know. Being a confirmed herbie, I welcome and am in awe of someone who doesn't have to overwinter ANY lavenders :-)

Today get to travel into the Berkshire foothills and am on a mission of sorts to find someone in the mountains themselves to go visit.

Love the grocery store story. I wink at kids in the store all the time and then let their parents figure out why their giggling.

Farmerettes amongst us -- Can one replant corn stalks if the corn isn't quite ready to pick? Would I be better off just completely yanking the windblown stalks and drying them? This seems quite silly to those who are in the midst of harvest, but these corn stalks have become my passion. LOLOLOLOL

Just looked at the darn time and have to run.

Hi!!!! to everyone and Thank You For the Pictures! I've made Rich PROMISE that it'll be my turn with the new camera, soon.

Martie

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

I shouldn't really be here (I'm in the middle of the morning send offs) but wanted to say WELCOME to Kathy! How great to have another West Coaster - you and Teresa can post late at night to each other while we Midwest/Easterners sleep. Looking forward to getting to know you;0)

Have a good day everyone - Michelle I love your mountain/valley analogy and will try and think of that next time I feel stuck in a valley.

Mary

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Welcome Kathy!!!! How great to see your post this morning. Everyone here is going to be so happy to see you. We're a friendly bunch and enjoy feedback from all kinds of gardens. I'm really interested to hear about the ups and dowbs of gardening in your climate. Oh yes, I wanted to tell you that it isn't 'required' to talk to everyone, every day. It can get to be way to much to keep track of and sometimes people don't post because they are afraid to step on toes. Anyway, I wanted to let you know it's OK to just stop by and say hello.

Martie, great post I LOL about farmerettes. You are too funny. Im really looking forward to the Logees trip in January. Have a great drive up into the Berkshires. The foliage should be really pretty out there right about now. So is now a good time to bring in that lavender you gave me? Does it need anything special or should I just bring it in under the lights?

T, great to hear from you! Sounds like youve been really busy. Have you taken any more photos of your curvy beds? Updated pics would be much appreciated and of course new pics of those babies would be nice too when you get a chance.

V. I sure hope there are no problems from the hail/T storm. How strange. It that unusual for you to get a hail storm in October?

Marian, You are never going to believe this one. I made a typo in your name this morning and I accidentally put a t after the r. Yep you came out Martian! Glad I caught that one because of course the spell check didnt pick up on it. LOL I thought youd appreciate the silliness of that. Anyway, I didnt know that the common plectranthus got flower spikes. I grew it indoors for years and it never bloomed. How funny about the snake. Id not have been too happy with a snake in the house but I wouldnt have freaked out about it. Sue and Monique on the other hand would have been seriously unhappy about it. Interesting that your Sedona is getting that darker streaking in the foliage now too. Mine have been darkening and getting mottling also the last couple weeks. Maybe it is the colder nights that are doing it?

Chelone, Its really great to hear from you.

Cindy, thanks for the birthday card! This is so neat I dont think my birthday has ever lasted until October before. What a lovely lily. Do you have the name of that one as Im particularly fond of pink.

Bug that is one lovely ampelopsis. Ill never get any berries on mine because I have it planted in shade but I wanted those wonderful variegated leaves where Ive planted it so that is OK. Yours makes me want to move mine to a location with more sun so it will get berries on it. Reminds me that after seeing Marys callicarpa Ive been trying to figure out somewhere I can plant one. Hers is absolutely fabu!

Brenda, you are so fantastic! Your weight loss accomplishment is marvelous and youve done it the absolutely perfect way. Making changes that you can live with the rest of your life so you havent gone on a diet youve made lifestyle changes. That is the only way to maintain significant weight loss. Now I need to take a lesson from you and concentrate on feeling better and less on looking better! Ive been a bit down in the dumps because Ive been told by a nutritionist, my PCP and an endocrinologist that I am where Im going to be weight wise and it isnt as thin as Id wanted. My body fat % is down to 24% or a bit lower (very healthy for a woman) and what I have left is extra skin etc. from having been so huge before. You cant lose extra skin from exercise and dieting. It is what it is. Im doing a bit better but Ive had a tough time coming to terms with it.

Eden, so who won yesterday, you or the vacuum? LOL Did the weather ever clear off? Oh yes I wanted to ask you. Ive brought in my Rex Begonias and so far they arent particularly happy. Does it take them a while to adjust to life indoors under the lights? Im wondering if it is too much light for them because they were in pretty deep shade on the patio.

Eileen, I just loved the grocery store story. How fun! Your patience humor was one of those random acts of kindness that smooth out the wrinkles in this world sometimes. Love it! Most people probably would have been annoyed (I know I get very annoyed at bad cell phone etiquette) and just yanked their cart away from the fellow. Good for you. ~~ So did you do anything special for your birthday? ~~ Oh yes, I wish you could see that Swingtime fuchsia that I photographed for your BD Card. It is absolutely enormous and beautiful right now and smothered with flowers. I have it in that large urn next to the dogwood.

Sue, your pic reminds me that I want to grow some castor beans next year. Yours are always so impressive.

Ok must run, water some plants, take some more cuttings then get back downstairs and get some work done on that magazine article due in a couple weeks.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

PS Kathy I wanted to tell you that Sue has better looking brugs than I do. I'd like to know her secret.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

A snake in the freakin' house??? Seriously unhappy would be an understatement. Criminentlies! I'd have to move.

I have zilch for time this morning but just wanted to pop in and welcome Kathy to the group. A gardener from wine country is always welcome here. Even if you weren't a gardener, the wine factor would be a plus.

Good morning to everyone else!

Sue

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Good morning-

My morning send-off is done, but I have to send myself off soon...only a half-day today so I can come home and play outside later!

Sue & Deanne, here is a pic of my variegated brugs blooming. It really just got started, and the flowers are kind of hidden by the leaves, which are huge. It only gets morning sun here, maybe a bit in the afternoon but not very much.

{{gwi:159402}}

Welcome Kathy! I was the new kid not long ago, I know it is hard to jump in - glad you took the plunge. You are in Zone 9, huh? I bet you can grow year-round all those plants that us tropical wanna-be's are clearing a winter spot in the basement for. Don't be afraid of "showing us your stuff" with the camera, we are not all experts, myself included. I got some great advice here about taking pics, which was just go out and take as many as you can - after a while you start to figure out what works.

I had a great time on Sunday, but then I always do with the NE Idylls. Deanne's gardens are fabulous, and if it hadn't been raining I might have lay down underneath that brugs to drink in its splendor. I am definitely bringing in my Charles Grimaldi, hoping it will look half as good when it grows up. Deanne, I was smiling all the way home and into the night as well. Thanks for a great way to spend a rainy day!

Martie, I can hear you singing! Thanks for saying what you did above, I know that must have been hard for you. It may seem daunting to join a group that you perceive as already being established, but our NE friends have been nothing but welcoming. It is so great to be with a group that really "gets it" about gardening, at a deeper level. Glad Rich is taking steps to fix his dental issues - brave man, I couldn't spend that much time in the dentist's chair unless I was out cold. Hope to see much more of both of you!

Saucy, you are getting some great insight and advice above, and others have said it better than I so I'll just say "ditto". You know we are here, for unloading to or just distraction, whatever the situation requires. I love Eric Clapton too, in fact I'll listen to an EC CD in the car today, and sing along loudly in your honor. No air guitar though - both hands on the wheel, LOL!

Have to get going I guess. Hi to everyone I missed!

-Wendy

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

I actually started writing this post last night, but then it started storming here...the lightning was *unbelievable*! Quite a show. So since I had to shut the computer down, I decided to head up to bed and crack the window open a little, so I could go to sleep with the sound of rain and thunder. A perfect ending for my birthday. :-)

Anyway, heres the post that I started yesterday....

Hi Idylls!

Can't stay on long...a lightning show and hail here too.

When I first saw V's post, I thought she was going to announce that we had some royal visitors...LOL!

Thank you so much all for the lovely birthday cards. I know I've said it many times, but Idyll birthdays are always a special treat.

Michelle, I love your simple, but *beautiful* pic...is that dill? ou really captured that "magic" of it. Also loved your analogy of the hills and valleys. Very wise words and like Mary, I will try to remind myself of that when things get rough. In fact, I may have to find a place on my refrigerator for that quote.

Seeing your gorgeous BD card Sue, reminded me how I had been so bowled over by your container pic, a few posts ago, that I neglected to tell you at the time, how absolutely *gorgeous* your garden pic was too. You've really got the gift! :-)

Bug...you little stinker! :-) LOL! That *is* a gorgeous plant; isnt it? And what a beautiful birthday card...Thank you! I really *do* love that plant...the colors are so amazing! Dont you wish you could have an area of your garden made up of just that color scheme? Well I guess finding flowers in those colors would be quite a challenge. In fact, I can only think of one other "turquoise" plant; the Himalayan poppy, and that would be impossible to grow well where I live. So...how hard is that porcelain berry to control?

What a gorgeous clematis Eden...thank you! :-) I got a laugh after seeing Bugs card and then finding out you had given into your little devil too...LOL! How long have you had *your* porcelain berry vine? Have you had any problems controlling it?........."Quiet, little devil, I am not getting one...at least not yet!" LOL! Wish I could remember what cartoon that was from.

Cindy, I *love* the colors in your garden and all your BD cards. I hope one day Ill get to see your garden in person too.

And love your yellow and blue composition too Wendy...one of my favorites. Is that a perennial or an annual salvia? What a perfect blue.

Mary that's a beautiful dahlia...is that what they call a spider? You and Taryn and Babs and Dottie...LOL! You guys are too funny! But Babs is right, every time I see my mushroom now, I *do* think of you guys and it does make me smile! :-)

Babs...I *love* your BD card and you know what is *really* freaky? Yesterday I had pulled out my old copy of Charlottes Web. I dont why...I just had the urge to read it again. I think I need some grandchildren! :-) Anyway, that was my favorite childhood book, so your BD card was not only beautiful, it suited me perfectly! :-)

Thanks again everyone. I went to bed with a big smile on my face. Okay, so Taryns BD card maybe had something to do with that too...LOL! The Stonehenge of funguys! Yea, I got it Babs...LOL! :-) Thank you Taryn and tell Jain thanks from me too! :-) I miss that girl! :-)

Marian I love Sedona too. In fact I just brought in some of it the other day to make cuttings for next year. But I like to leave some Sedona out late in the season too. It really is beautiful all season long, but you are right, something about the colder weather just really intensifies its beauty.

Brenda I had meant to tell you too...how impressed I am with your weight loss. Its not just the weight that impresses me, but the "stick-to-it-tivness"! It really does take a lot of will power and determination to keep at it and I admire you for it....attagirl! I need to develop more of that myself. Also so sorry to hear about DSs accident and am so relieved and grateful that he and his friend are okay. To be "invincible" is both the gift and the burden of being young...we can only hope they feel invincible enough to believe they can conquer any challenge that comes their way, but wise enough to know when not to push it. It really is hard being a mom; isnt it? I never *got* that until I had one of my own. Could never understand *why* my mom worried about me so much...LOL! I guess we moms never do stop worrying; do we? At least *I* havent.

Thanks T for all the birthday wishes. It actually was a very nice day...even if it did end in zero! :-) So have you finished spreading that last gazillion of mulch?

After reading Chelones post, I was impressed, as I always am, with the amazing, wise, thoughtful, and generous nature of everyone here. This forum is just rich with personality, wisdom, friendship, talent, caring, humanity, and humor! You are a great bunch. So welcome Kathy, you are going to love it here.

P.S. Thanks Martie for the birthday song....believe me *no one* can sing worse than "Ei", but that doesnt stop me from singing anyway! :-)

Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Oh yes, Ei, someone does sing worse than you. In fact I could make money singing-people would no doubt pay big bucks to get me to stop.

Glad you enjoyed your BD.

Sue

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

WOW! How did all these new posts get here?

LOL Sue...you just reminded me, I had meant to comment on Marian's "visitor". You *are* amazing Marian and I got quite a kick out of your post! :-)

Wendy your Brugmansia is gouigeous too! :-)

Deanne, I *wish* I could see that fuchsia in person. :-)

I had hesitated to say anything Wendy, cause I want it to sound as sincere as it feels, but it's hard when you can't say it face to face. But, just can't *not* say anything. I am touched by Rich's bravery and strength and I wish him the healing and peace he so deserves...and from this humbled person, a deep and sincere "Thank you Rich".

Okay, off to start the new decade out right (yea, thanks Brenda...LOL!) I'm off to curves...have a great day all! Ei

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Welcome, Kathy so cool no probation period here needed that I know of (or maybe Im still on probation, LOL. . . . who knows?!) there are even those of us who are photographically challenged and dont post very many photos.. but it still works. (Hoorah for me, though, w/ my o.t. loot Ive decided to take the plunge & buy a digital camera (instead of plants...). . . . it was a tough, tough choice.

Chelone welcome back life does get in the way of pleasures but its great if we can snatche em where we can and Idylls is definitely in the top 5 on my list. . . . your words re relationships are very wise and I love your "Board Meetings"! What a great idea. Dont think I have any words of wisdom in the marriage dept as mine blew up decades ago and Ive never lucked out in finding a "replacement" (LOL). . . .

We had rain here over the weekend so along w/ my enforced "veg" time, I couldnt do a thing in the gardens which was probably just as well. . . . now its shooting back into the 80s for a few days which frankly Id prefer it not Im delighted to have the cooler weather but no one asked for my vote I guess. . . .

Unfortunately I dont have time to post individual comments but wanted to say a quick WELCOME KATHY and hang around its a great group. . . .

Hope to pop in later.

--Cindy

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Oh *Please* forgive me Martie, I used Wendy's name instead of yours...I feel *awful*...where is my head? Guess I *should* have just kept my mouth shut! Sorry...Ei

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

To Ei, Martie and yes, Sue too!

Use what talent you possess. The woods would be very
    silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
    - Henry Van Dyke

WOW! Curvy beds and now off to Curves too! What a village we are!

Thank you for popping in Mary and Chelone!

Welcome Kathy! Hope you and other reluctant photographers will just dive in and share!

'bug

• flowerluvr
    17 years ago

Welcome Kathy!!

((((Martie & Rich)))) and a BIG thank you to Rich for doing what your country asked you to do.
    Nope, ya can't replant corn stalks. Are we talking about sweet corn that you want to eat? And, how close is it to being ready?

T-thanks for the kind words, and when ya get a second while you're babysitting...let's see some pics!!

V-I wondered about ya when the storms came through-hope you don't have too much damage!

Deanne, thanks for the encouragement! I'm wondering about how my skin is going to respond by the time I've lost all I want-I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that my tummy is never gonna be pretty to look at, but I've got two great kids so it's a fair trade-off :) It remains to be seen what my upper arms will do. The diet/exercise journey has made me much more at peace with myself just the way I am. Strange, because I've lost significant weight more than once in my life, and how I looked was always almost an obsession. I totally understand how people end up with eating disorders. I hate to hear you're down in the dumps about the skin-you've got so much to be proud of, and you are absolutely gorgeous!! You probably don't realize how much you motivated me to get my act together. My hat's off to ya, girl...now, be kind to yourself ;)

Marian-my biggest fear with a snake in the house would be how much damage the dogs would do trying to get it, lol! If I didn't mention it before, I'm in AWE of all the plants you brought in. I'm hoping to nurse 3-4 plants through the winter, and I'll be amazed if they all make it.

Ei-I think not realizing how hard it is to raise kids is nature's way of making sure the species doesn't go extinct, lol! If ya knew everything you were in for........ ;) I marvel all the time at how my Mom managed to survive raising seven of us. We range in age from 59-32, and she still worries about each and every one of us.
    Nobody sings worse than Ei--lol, good one! You can count me in on the "can't sing but love to crowd"..probably a good thing I live in the country. Have fun at Curves! What kind of machines do they have? I've never been in one.

Sad, sad news from Amish country. My heart goes out to those poor families. Nobody deserves to go through what they're going through, but as a group, they are so peaceful and kind, and do nothing but go about their own business--I'm just at a loss as to WHY these things happen.

Guess I'll go exercise and see if I can't improve my mood a bit-at least the sun is shining this morning, that's a good start :)
    Brenda

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Good morning all.
    I am still trying to recover from my terrible sick spell, so will not be going to town today.

Deanne, I am not sure what variety of plectranthus that is. I have had it for many years, and thought it was the common Swedish Ivy, P australis, but it isn't an upright plant ( as my houseplant book says it is). Also, the book says the flowers are not significant, and are usually removed as they come on. I think mine are pretty. I hang it out in a tree in the summer. Maybe that is why it comes into blooming at this time every year.
    ( LOL...Martian! )
    I feel like you do, about my skin, but it is for a differant reason. Mine is like thin wrinkled crepepaper! I am so ashamed of my arms. I know, it goes along with aging, but I see my peers who aren't as thin-skinned and wrinkled as I. I guess it was to be expected though, since I have always had 'old' hands.

Michelle, I agree with your theory on life, and I have the assurance there is something much better eventually. That is what keeps me going.

Martie, I can identify with a lot of what you have said about not going places. My DH has been toothless for many years. Now he has finally got dentures, but they hurt him, so he doesn't wear them to eat! I have a tendency to get too carried away when I am with friends. Maybe it is because my life is so isolated? Anyway, I frequently come home from my Tuesday's get-together feeling as though I have made a silly fool of myself. I feel as though I talk too loud, and laugh too loud and too often. When I appologize to my friends they assure me that they do not want me to change. I am afraid they do not succeed in convincing me. :-( ( Although I know them are sincere.)
    Some of my feelings may go back to my life with my first inlaws. Some of them were always calling me down for being too loud! If I remember right, some of my own relatives did too. It's ironic, now Nolon is becoming so hard of hearing , I HAVE to talk loud!

Hey!...Welcome Kathy! We have a California Idyllite. She hasn't posted here for some time, but she will always be 'one of us'.:-) Her zone is not as warm as yours, since she does have cold weather, and dormant plants.
    I am a native Idahoan, but it is coming on 30 years since we moved from there. It certainly wasn't z9 ! It was more like here, only a shorter growing season, lower humidity, hardly any rainfall, but much better soil, and NO ticks and chiggers! Anyway, I am saying all this to let you know we are from various backgrounds. Most are in their 40s and 50s, I am the oldie...will soon be 74.
    If you have been 'lurking' for some time, you probably already know all this.

V, Tell about the hail! I do hope it wasn't a disaster. This has been the most weird weather year. We are having higher than average temps, both day and night. We are leaving windows open all night, and getting up in the morning to 70F indoors. We will probably get well into the 80s today, and some nearby areas are predicted to get into the 90s! Yarrgh!

(((((Teresa))))) be careful, and take care of yourself! I am sure those beds will be soo beautiful next year. Now you know why this old gal pooped out on her lasagne beds!

I hope all are having a good day...oh yes... great to see Chelone posting again!

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

A big Idyll welcome to Kathy. We love new people here.

What great pictures for Eis birthday.

We hit 88 degrees yesterday and now thunderstorms predicted for today. The garden seems to be reviving itself. I noticed several nice blooms again on the clematis Henryi last night. We went on the 4 wheeler over to the rental farm to spray for thistles after dark last night. There was a very bright moon. I told DH that it made a good Halloween scene. All the buildings are old, old, old and the house would make a great haunted house.

Cindy, that is great that you are rewarding yourself for all your OT. I can hardly wait to see more pictures from your garden.

Marian, a snake in the house??? I got freaked out last night when I took the mail out of the box and there was another spider in with the mail. He is now living in my car. He was black and so is the car interior so I couldnt find him. You are one brave woman. LOL

The news from Pennsylvania is horrific. Brenda, I just dont get it either.

bug, what a great quote.

Ei, I thought of you last Saturday when I was working outside and it just started to rain this wonderful, warm rain. I just stood there and enjoyed it.

Martie, I hope that all goes well for Rich in the dental dept. It doesnt sound like fun, but Im sure it will be worth it.

T, it sounds like you are working quite hard on your beds. Believe me it sure beats digging out sod.

Have a wonderful day, whatever you are doing.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

I've got to make a correction...Kathy, our absentee California member IS in z9! So I guess everything doesn't grow year around where you live?

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

First, Happy Birthday, Deanne, V and Ei!

Hi, friends. Were finally back on-line! We lost internet and phone service on Sat. during a storm and have had several false starts getting reconnected. The good thing is that we werent distracted from our projects and got a lot done outside. Then yesterday I was forced inside by rain another good thing. So I decided to look for things to wear during my friends visit next week and wound up culling out all the worn, out of style and larger sizes that no longer fit (yeah), and reorganizing and refreshing whats left. While its not done, at least I can see whats there!

Oh dear. V and Ei are having bad storms which usually means its coming our way. Waaaaaa. We just got our services restored. Hope we dont get zapped again. And I wanna get back outside again!

We had horrible news this am. Our neighbors only son, 25, was found dead in the early morning hours in his car near a downtown university. The door was open and car was running. No other details. Its every parents nightmare. Our hearts just break for them.

Thanks, Deanne, for that article. Your timing was perfect. My Brugs are in the garage in front of the window. Charles Grimaldi is blooming its head off. Both are on my huge to-do-for-fall list.

Taryn, Hope your PI is drying up. That stuff is just miserable! We have tons of PI and PO behind the garden and I have to be ever vigilant to make sure I have gloves on when Im walking the garden. I can never resist reaching down and pulling whatever doesnt belong.

Michelle, good luck on finding the perfect dress. My advice is to ask the bride what colors she would prefer that you look for (usually neutral beige, dove grey, pale rose or blue) and find one that you feel you look good in and is comfortable. Youll probably be walked down the aisle to be seated after the MOB, so your supporting role is important, too.

Brenda, Im so glad your ordeal with DS is behind you. We know the stubborn as a mule well and the know it allattitude. After our DD moved to an apt., she was picked up in early am for a DUI and taken to jail. She phoned Dad in tears and asked him to bail her out. However, the local police wouldnt let us. In retrospect, a night in jail was good for her. When she was released in the am, we told her that was her one and only. Then at court, we saw the other dregs and told her if that was the company she chose to keep, she was on her own. However, the smug/smirk wasnt completely gone. She was sentenced to a yrs. probation and if she missed any appts., shed go directly to lock-up. While at the time we thot that was harsh, it was the best thing for her. She, herself, didnt want to be identified with the dregs that had to report to a PO. And it was a costly drive and a pain to go every 2 wks. to check in and be tested. Some kids are just hard-headed. Luckily, the system got her by the tail and wouldnt let go before she hurt herself. My advice just hang in there, Mom. This, too, shall pass.

Congratulations, Sue. I couldnt imagine Steve Silk not loving your garden. Oh, and now you could be famous, too! I second what Mary said. Your gardens, Les and Moniques as well as Deannes are probably among the best in the NE. WAY TO GO, you guys.

Deanne, Sue, Michelle, I, too, have a heck of a time convincing my friends that my internet friends arent ax murderers! I always get these skeptical looks like I have truly lost my mind! The latter may be true, but you guys are the best!

Hi Jerri! Sounds like youre very, very busy with those foster kids. Glad you stopped by to say hello.

((((((Saucy))))))). Please turn to us. We love you. You cant possibly be going thru anything that one of us hasnt had to face at one time or another. With one failed-miserably marriage under my belt, followed by 29 yrs. with DH, I can say that it does take work. E-mail me and well exchange phone numbers. Id love to chat and I have free, unlimited long-distance. I also agree that you should visit your Dr. Hormones really distort ones mind.

Welcome, Kathy!!! Great to have you join us! Yep, you sound like one of us already, were all mostly Type "As" and generally do most things with gusto. This is a wonderful group and Im sure youll really enjoy becoming part of it.

Hello, Chelone. What wonderful words of wisdom from you.

Taryn and T, great jobs on the curvy beds!

Martie, congrats on your DH getting his teeth fixed. It will be an unpleasant ordeal but hell feel so much better when its behind him. As for the confessions", we all have foibles and I often suffer from foot-in-mouth disease. Whats so wonderful about this group is that we all seem to seek out the best of each other and overlook the unimportant slips that sometimes happen.

Marian, Im with Sue. Id have to move if there was even the most remote chance of a snake in the house! Im freakin b/c of a mouse in the upstairs vanity!

Sorry I havent commented to everyone. Just outta time. I promise to be a better idyller after I catch up on all the goings on here. Ill try to pop back in later w/pix of the front project. Thinking of everyone. TTYL,

Honey

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

Just wanted to share this. For David's book first report he chose the assignment to create a Photo Album of the book's main characters. He had just finished a Dick King Smith novel about a mouse, and we had a hilarious time posing Annie's hampster Nu-Nu in the dollshouse. The finished report was really cute. Here is one of my favorite shots - it bought out my inner Beatrix Potter!
    {{gwi:179663}}

Tonight is Annie's first Swim Meet. I think she's excited but nervous. Her team all decorated T-shirts which they wore at school today along with toe shocks and flip-flops as a "Psych". (I guess a way for the team to get psyched up for the event). This sports stuff is all new to me.

Must dash to get something ready for dinner for our return. I know nothing about swim races except how hungry you feel afterwards.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Wow ! Thanks so very much for all the warm welcomes ! I've been reading various gardening newsgrops, forums and mailing lists for many years and you guys are about the friendliest bunch I've seen !
    Deanne- Don't know if it makes me feel better or worse that Sues brugs are better than yours !:) .And thanks for the heads up on posting etiquette .

Wendy, here in zone 9 we get frost , and sometimes down to the twenties or a bit lower at night. We western folk in fact use the Sunset climate zones far more than the usda zones because of the many micro-climates. 15 miles south of me is pretty much frost free because of the marine influence from San Francisco Bay. I have to move some things inside-I collect angel wing type begonias, have a couple of plumerias, and the rest of the stuff I can usually get away with covering.

Marian- I have never seen Theresa post-maybe she will come by when she sees a fellow zone 9-er on the forum !

Mary ,that hamster pic is a riot! LOL..

Martie, there is one lavender that will not overwinter reliably here, and that is Goodwin Creek. I also dig mine up after about three years cuz they get so woody.

Thanks again everyone ! And I will post some pics as soon as I find my cheat sheet .
    Kathy in the Napa Valley

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Kathy, the zone 9-er is jain. She posted recently on one of the other threads.
    Teresa is 'Just T'. She isn't z9. Actually, I don't know her zone #, :-(

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Whew!Ei I'm glad the spider card was Ok-how funny about Charlotte's Web!
    And speaking of web-ugh(double ugh with a heebie jeebie in between)I actually walked into my garage to get into the car for work and I walked smack into a huge web with one of those large garden spiders in it!!!!! I normally see spiders as really beautiful creatures---as long as they aren't attached to me: ). Luckily it fell onto the car but I did get webbed. With the damp weather we've had I'm so paranoid I will walk into spidered webs every where I go in my yard-we have spiders everywhere.BUT there seems to be a load of flying bugs too so the spiders are definitely doing what they should be so I will respect them.(As I shiver with the willies).
    [like, am I rambling a blabble here?]

I will simmer down so as not to frighten Kathy; ) Hi Kathy! It's good to have you here-don't get intimidated just go at your own pace and you'll be fine idylling. I hope we get to see pics of what you're up to-it sure will be nice to get reports of what CA is doing when our own gardens here are bare. What kinds of plants are you into? Welcome: )

Martie-I can't imagine how difficult Rich's experience has been-but what a noble man he must be. I think if there's one group Rich could feel comfortable with-the idylls would be it-he would be quite welcome and respected.

Mary I'm thinking vibes of good luck to Annie-though by now that meet is over!lol. Well the team sounds like it's got great spirit-hope they did well.
    I love that idea for David's book album!!What a great book that could really be-what a fun shot of Nu-Nu and yes it sure does remind me of Beatrix Potter.
    AJ is reading The Indian in the Cupboard and truly enjoying it. I keep asking him if I can read it to him out loud because I love the dialogue between characters-AJ cracks up along with me.
    Yeesh even Ryan is getting homework in K-garten. We have to read a nursery rhyme and do various activities together and one is for him to illustrate the rhyme.He chose 'Hey,Diddle Diddle' and I'm interested to see what he comes up with.

I just learned today that AJ's only got two meets left!!and there are just four practices: ) : ) : ) Though it has been a blast(great group of families)I can't wait to have TIME to clean my house(I don't say that very often but it's bad here!)AJ's befriended a teammate and I really like his mom-very laid back and a great sense of humor so hopefully if/when I get the house clean I can have them over for dinner.

Deanne & Marian-that's funny, you two talking got me to check out my Sedona and it's got that enhanced mottling now too-I wish it had done that earlier but I'm pretty sure it's an end of the season thing with temps being colder.(although suddenly we are much warmer!) Oh the deer are just chomping everything here.
    Marina(I'll leave that; ) How fun to have pet snakes lol. I saw the cutest sight of a Mama garter snake and her baby entwined while sunning themselves among my hostas. I so wanted to get a pic but I knew I'd startle them.

Cindy-how great that you decided to buy a camera!!!You will love it. Digital is so fun. I remember when Jain helped nudge me to buy a digital-it was one of the best investments I made. In fact I might upgrade when I get my first paycheck.

Is anyone into Halloween mode yet? I'm not sure how much I'll decorate this year with things still being crazy-Chris' mom is still in the hospital so our weekends are crazy. The boys want to be pirates...I just hope I don't need to sew much for the costumes. I even need a costume for the school staff partay. Not sure what I should be.

I hope this wasn't an egocentric post-I feel like it was! I need to go get things ready for tomorrow...it's picture day.

~Babs

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting