Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our Town

Posted by gardenbug Canada zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 16:25

We're off to the theatre tomorrow, so I went to collect some goodies at the farmer's market this morning. We plan on having a picnic lunch and a fancy dinner afterwards with friends.

But even more interesting were the Halloween sculptures being erected for the season. I thought you might enjoy them.

There are thunderstorms expected, so this one is waiting to be installed in the river another day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our Town

What fun! Is this a town project or the work of one person?

o

Awesome, your town sound like a very fun place to live.

Annette

o

It's the work of one person...a man who also has given classes on how to make your own monsters.

It is a small, fun community Anette. It can sometimes feel quite divided though between the "oldies" and the newcomers, the "artsy" ones.

o

Those are wonderful 'bug..what are they made out of ?

Kathy in Napa

o

Those are so cool and I'd give my eye tooth to take a class :)

They look like cheesecloth and glue to me....tell us what they are!!!

Saucy

o

Very interesting halloween project. My favorite is the dragon.

o

The sculptures are full of whimsy and menace at the same time -- perfect for Halloween. What a nice treesy farmer's mkt too. Seems like your town is humming along quite nicely, with an eclectic mix of the old and new.

o

What a nice place to live! I love the sculptures and I agree about the dragon/sea monster, although all are fabulous. I'd love to be creative enough to make a couple for our yard for Halloween. Maybe I can talk DH into trying his hand at it!

Hope the play was wonderful and not too depressing (Chekov, wasn't it? Not too many laughs there). At least the picnic and dinner must have been fun!

Cynthia

o

Glad you enjoy the monsters!

I asked a friend of mine who took a course with the artist and she says it is heavy work! Lots of pliable wire is used (as you can see in the photo with the bird and the nest of eggs). Then, believe it or not, tissue paper is used for the rest with a special glue mixture. I'm afraid I don't know yet what that is and likely won't find out until after Oct 12th.

A monster festival is scheduled for the local children after that as well.

Chekhov was in fact funny in lots of places...and the food terrific!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here