Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A South-Facing Border; Ideas Welcome

Posted by martieinct Z6 nrthn CT (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 17:00

This is the border around mid-June

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the border today -- wish there'd been more light.

And the fruits of the garden :-) Thanks for a lovely weekend!!

Martie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A South-Facing Border; Ideas Welcome

Very pretty! And so neat! My beds are a shambles. I 'do' have one sedum with open blooms, but certainly no roses! My echinacea are long past blooming, excecpt for a wayward flower here and there.

o

It's filling in nicely Martie. Did Rich make your trellis?
Love the bouquet with the painting. N

o

Martie, what a good looking border. You've planned that out well and it looks like it is filling in beautifully. I love the flower arrangement with the painting. Did you do that painting? I love the selection of flowers in that.

Deanne

o

Martie, you've done a great job on the border. It's filling in so nicely. And those are great trellises. I too love that painting and the bouquet on the table echos is so nicely. It's great that we're seeing pictures of your beautiful gardens! Thanks!

Eden

o

Wow, Martie, the border has really filled in nicely! As you may have picked up, I have a love/hate relationship with sunny gardens so my advice would be limited to bomb proof everblooming roses, upright grasses, and tropicals...lol...ie: stuff that doesn't flop. You may want to work some purple foliage in there as well-maybe a purple leaf Cotinus or Physocarpus that could be coppiced annually to control size. It would really pop against the light colored house.

Sue

o

I love the idea of something dark between the trellises, which Rich did not build. Neither did I -- an incredibly good deal at Ocean State Job Lot.

Yes, it has filled in, but a lot of it is annuals. The front of the house is set tangerine, purple, maroon with splashes of lime. This side of the house directly faces a neighbor and has many Z7 microclimates, enough for four or five good-sized perennials.

The herbs are happy here, so I don't want to move them. Their textures, colors and scents make that unnecessary.

Ideas for in-between?

Oh, and BTW, LOL the picture being my handiwork. I've seen Deanne's work and theory and have assured her that I'm better off "not touching." LOL

Martie

o

Martie, the border looks lovely. I can see Sue's point about the dark foliage against the light house.
What a great combination of the roses and sedum.

Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here