Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

In town today

gardenbug
16 years ago

I drove to town to run a few errands. I even remembered my camera. But I forgot the memory card and had to drive home again! Senility!

So first I went to the town of Elora where the Mill once again has new owners. The awnings have changed...and are less exciting than the previous ones which were richly striped. I thought Chelone should know...

{{gwi:179930}}

This year someone with a love of container plants must be working there:

{{gwi:179932}}

{{gwi:179936}}

{{gwi:179938}}

{{gwi:179939}}

There is lots of colour still:

{{gwi:179940}}

And then I was on the road to the nearby town of Fergus where the gardens had already been cut back for the year. A nice surprise though was the patch of colchicums.

{{gwi:179941}}

Then in the parking lot, the maple trees were showing off.

{{gwi:179942}}

DH then took me to the nursery where i managed to find "just a few" things to fill holes in the newly weeded area. Spots have opened up where dicentra, bergenia and siberian iris that were not flourishing are GONE. I have collected some shade grasses, a woodland orchid, some golden ticyrtis, a clumping bamboo, a pale pink chelone, and more. A beautiful day!!!

Comments (7)

• chelone
    16 years ago

I love the basic "six bar"... well, that should come as no surprise since it's what I selected for my own awnings!

I have never been a fan of "bullnoses", those 1/2 round things over doors. There is something about them that screams, "VINYL" to me, even if the fabric isn't! I just don't find them particularly pleasing aesthetically.

But, I would have alternated the "natural" and grey in the loose frame awnings on the arced portion of the bullnose. I would have used either the grey or the "natural" for the valence and selected the color of the lettering based on the fabric color.

The blue does nothing to play up the handsome facade of the building. (In case you care, lol).

I have often thought about colchicums, but have yet to plant any... (Monique's were lovely!).

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Is the Mill the restaurant with the outdoor decks that overlooked the dam? My kind of ambience in dining. Looks like we'll have to make a return visit and give it a try. Hey Deanne, fire up the Suburban...lol.

Brugs really shine in September here too. Today I complained to someone about being sick of watering and they suggested I just stop and let everything go. Can't do it...not with just about every container in peak condition and Charles Grimaldi covered in flowers.

Sue

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Sue, that's the place where you can see the "Tooth of Time" from the windows. It's a bit noisy out there, but fun. I prefer eating indoors so I can hear my friends. DavidB took me there for my birthday one year with Taryn and DH. I haven't tested the new chef yet though. Perhaps when you come with Deanne (and Mary and Saucy and Honey and V and anyone else)we can try it.

As to the "bullnose", it is actually black. I think it looks like a slippery seal or walrus! I'd prefer your idea Chelone. I don't think it really serves much purpose though. If it is windy and rainy or snowy, it really offers little protection, especially if there's a line-up!

Sue, I was surprised to see everything cut down in the Fergus gardens. Some things that looked pretty bleak in mine are cut back, but I'm leaving the happy hostas and Japanese anemones, the agastache, and so forth. Even things with just pretty foliage will remain standing for a while longer. Call me lazy...

Boy, does it ever get dark early. Sheesh.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Funny, I was just thinking tonight that perhaps September, not April, is the cruelest month for container gardeners. Just as those tender plants start hitting their peak, frost and the ultimate decline threatens.

Enjoyed the tour, Marie!

Chelone, while I don't totally dislike bullnoses, I have to say that they are way overused, like Palladian windows in new homes. What should be a distinctive feature used with lots of moderation instead becomes a trite cliche.

And that's my architectural critique for the day.

V.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Just beautiful! Sometimes it's good to not know much about a topic. I like the awning, but agree that for protection, I'd bring an umbrella ;-) My focus would be on the plants if I didn't know better.

And the food is good, I'm guessing?

Thanks for a wonderful way to start the day, Marie.

Martie

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Marie - great tour! I'd love to see in person some day -- the front door w/ the "bullnose" awning (gee, learned something else today, Chelone, thanks) strikes me as trying for a "Paris" front door look but that's at odds w/ the other things & architecture - o well, they didn't ask us now did they?

It's nice to see things so lush but boy are your trees ahead of us -- I just saw a few things that have browned here from the drought, but no real color in the trees yet. My own garden beds are droopy, droopy - had to pull the hoses out yesterday.

I do have a few colchiums & ordered a few more this year. I hope to have a nice grouping like that one some day.

Thanks for the tour - what a nice getaway.

Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I really like when businesses add gardens and containers that aren't just your typical "landscaping" plants. Your area looks very interesting, I hope to see it one day.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals